Final: Pirates 1, Tigers 0, 11 innings

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (31-20) vs. Detroit Tigers (29-20)

Starters: RHP Jeanmar Gomez vs. RHP Rick Porcello

Time: 7:08 p.m.

Site: Comerica Park, Detroit

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, DH
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  8. Travis Snider, RF
  9. Clint Barmes, SS

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page.

Comments

Well, lets get the split tonight

I would like a banana split, please. Extra pineapple. ;)

Gomez needs a good outing…….. Tigers lineup is tough.

4. Naterosboro says:

Well, in Detroit. This is kind of weird, but it’s essentially a 4 game set. So, a win tonight only puts us at 1 of 2.

Still 2 in Pittsburgh to go….

DK: Still waiting for that first shred of evidence to support your accusation in the previous thread that I used to write money will solve everything for a sports team.

It’s patently untrue, and any number of regulars here can back me on it.

5. Naterosboro says:

Cutch being Cutch…

Or Cutch killing time…

“@TheCUTCH22 7m

Rain rain go away…got a game we have to play”

6. I feel like this week with the Penguins is like the extra week before the Super Bowl.

There is nothing new to talk about! Therefore, we make up stuff.

Will Marc Andre Fleury play his next game naked!?

It’s time to focus our attention on the Pirates, who are real and alive and 11 games over .500 and PLAYING——tonight!!

In a day or two, when we know the schedule of the next Pens game, we can come back to whining about what line Iginla should play on——when he is ACTUALLY PLAYING!

Go Bucs! Burnett versus Anibal Sanchez looks delightful!

DK: Agreed about making up stuff.

Mr. Groat, if you like, I could post the dancing Hippo video for ya……..

I still need to learn to trust Jeanmar a little bit. He has been clutch pretty much all year, and really a savior for this team. But, I seem to recall a little too much about his career in the AL to trust him vs. Detroit.

Then, again, I could see us getting to the Mushroom Man (Portobello, or Porcello, or whatever).

9. As long as the hippo doesn’t have Sid’s discarded football helmet on!

Maybe it is the hippo who has been complaining that the #5 Scorer in these playoffs (Sid, Geno, and Tanger numbers 2,3,4) isn’t getting enough scoring chances skating with Malken and Neal.

Go Bucs!!!

Remember when Rick Porcello was that best pitcher in the world during Spring Training?

No, Mr. Groat, no complaining here………….. I have my preference where he should play, but as long as he is productive, and they win, then let it be, I guess.

But, just for you………………………………………

Groat, so good to “see” you :)

Jandy, your video is up, and you got to see Groat.

Banner day for you !!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, we absolutely had to have him.

15. Naterosboro says:

DK, I didn’t mean that at all!

It was poking fun at some of the commenters on your old blog site, not at you. If it came off that way, I apologize.

I know you’ve never written anything of the such!

DK: Your comment made direct reference to the writer. I never thought — much less wrote — any such thing related to any team anywhere in any sport.

I have to say, Nate, I don’t recall anything like that from Dejan. Maybe another writer?

Gotta love the sandals, but the “G” string is priceless ;

Yup, it’s a good day lol

OK I’m gonna duck for now…later…

If people knew I was sharing this stuff, the boys in the white coats would be here in an instant.

But, I am quite proud of my “moves”. :)

20. Nice to be home, JandyGirl!

21. Naterosboro says:

Haha.

It wasn’t meant as a shot at DK.

I know he’s never written anything like that.

I was just harkening back to his PG days when a lot of his blog posts would erupt into the same arguments about management.

Between us blog commenters/posters.

Not DK.

Again, wasn’t directed at DK. And again, I apologize if it came off that way.

Man, I reaaallllyyy didn’t think Nate even came close to saying it was Dejan himself who said that.

23. JRay3 says:

Have to say interesting to see Snider dropped all the way down to the #8 spot, thought he did a very nice job filling in for Marte yesterday atop the lineup.

Walker has a hot bat and CH elects to use him in the #2 hole. However if Gaby can carry the momentum over from yesterday when he pounded on some RHP, the bottom of this lineup has a little potency to it.

Hoping the skies clear out that way and we can get back into the W column.

24. I’ve seen this video before. Nice moves!

Isn’t this a video of Milo at the WPIAL wrestling Finals?

25. Ghost says:

Hippo! Good to see that you’re in fine, purple form today! We’ve been playing Blog-tag for a few days, but I finally caught up to you! (Damn, you’re agile for a big purple hippo.)

Neither did I. That’s nowhere near what I read.

27. Ghost says:

Snider stepped up big time, yesterday. But good to have Marte back where he belongs.

8th is the new 7th this week, JRay!

29. Naterosboro says:

I think this is the comment you’re referring to:

“Well, it was kind of poking fun at the old days…when DK was beat writer for the Bucs on the “other” team.”

I was just trying to speak to your old blog on the PG site.

Again, I apologize if it came off that way. I know you have never written any such thing. I’ve been following your work now for a few years, and have you ever seen me question you about this? Absolutely not, because you’ve never written anything like that!

30. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I just read the post because I didn’t see it either, but I could see how DK responded that way, it does seem to be put on him, but after hearing Nate’s actual thought process, I see his also.

DK: OK, that’s fine. I understand. There’s a tendency among a small but vocal few in the Pirates’ fan base to try to paint me into some kind of cartoon character as it relates to this franchise, and most of what they attribute to me just flat-out isn’t true. This sounded a lot like that sort of thing.

Back to the column …

Hey, I took issue with Nate’s comment regarding other posters, but I NEVER thought he was talking about you, DK. Time to back off. You are totally overreacting.

Snider did crush that one to RF. And he had a single. He did miss that one off the 3rd base wall that carromed past him. I thought that was a tough one to read, especially for a guy that usually plays RF. But, I also bet Marte would have grabbed it. Too bad, because it cost a big run.

Thanks, Ghost!

I am outta here til the Buc game, but I wanted people to remember to be happy and dance.

Well, if their bones dont hurt too much…. ;)

34. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Is the 7:08? Really? the Pittsburgh start time or local?

I’ve lived out here for 3 years now and still have a hard time with the time differential.

Minor misunderstanding.

Could be.

I thought it was video of the local gym on “free bacon” night………………

It really didn’t come off that way, Nate. “Someone” is being totally over sensitive. Sheesh!

38. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

He did well at lead off, but no way do I see him anywhere else in this DH added lineup but where he is….8th

40. Ghost says:

If we win, a curtain call dance, por favor!

41. Naterosboro says:

I think the “Must be new here” comment might have read that way. As in, “Must be new to this guy’s blog who always writes stuff like this”.

I opened a whole case of cans of worms.

I guess once you pop the fun don’t stop (do I have to pay money for writing that?)……….

42. Naterosboro says:

*BRO HUG*

Gaby’s the key to interleague success for this team.

Clint has stuck with him vs. RHP despite being awful, but when Jones is the DH, Gaby’s the only option at 1B.

I will say that it’s a bit of a mystery to me as to why Gaby has been so bad. I know he’s never been good necessarily, but still much better than he’s shown so far for the Pirates. The guy even seems to take decent at-bats against righties. Hopefully it’s just bad luck working itself out.

44. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

DK: work, work, work……that’s what we always say too when the boss comes around.

45. Isn’t there a retractable roof on that stadium?

46. Playoffs by 2012 says:

TODAY’S LINE

Big THANK YOU to Frankie for posting yesterday’s line for me.

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

Total Combined RUNS BATTED IN by Garret Jones + Pedro Alvarez in tonight’s game
    Line is 2.5

Good Luck!!

What impressed me about his triple was that he hit it completely off-balanced. Nothing left in his swing but hands and still flicked it almost 400′.

Go ahead and get the laugh track ready, but the kid DOES have legit power in that body. I’d love to see what he could do if he ever learned to hit off a stiff front leg and shorten his load.

48. Dom says:

100 Over!

49. Ghost says:

Three big hits for Snider, yesterday. I think he’s working out nicely as a fourth — heck, make it third and a half — outfielder for us. He and Tabby are shaping up as super 3 1/2′s, sort of like Bill Robinson / Lee Lacy/ John Milner / Mike Easler were for us in ’79.

DK– there is no way Nate was suggesting you had said in the past that spending money would solve all the Pirates woes. And it wasn’t even close. I think you owe him an apology. What you’ve said so far isn’t sufficient in my book.

51. bman says:

@playoffs

100 on the UNDER

52. Ghost says:

For right now, at least (4:20 p.m.), another DK sighting.

53. Ghost says:

AW,
    Shucks, now we’re ganging up on DK and my gag below just looks dumb.

54. Ghost says:

Again.

Maybe people still see him as a 4th OF type because he’s not the prototypical big power numbers right fielder, but he’s outpacing the league average triple slash line for the position this year (.257/.325/.415).

Loved those old Bucs, Ghost. Thanks for the reminder! If there were more perfect OF & 1b platoons in baseball history, I don’t recall them. Those guys could all rake, and they had power too. I remember Chuck Tanner as being great at taking advantage of platoons. It takes a certain kind of player to handle that role. He has to be mature enough to put the team first and do his job one day, then get a couple off, then do it again. Sounds simple, but it is very hard.

57. I would think you ought not push that, Ghosty. That guy doesn’t remotely resemble DK. More like Plan’s purple girl above.

I was critical of Snider for not being the hitter he used to be, power-wise. But, he has really turned up the juice over the last month. Tons of doubles, and a couple of long balls.

59. Dom says:

I dont get it.

Not in Detroit, if that is what you are asking, Lucky.

61. My bad. Must have mixed Milwaukee in my mind.

Without meaning to, I just bad-mouthed Detroit.

I default to the gag, take a humorous look at things route. This isn’t one of those instances, in my opinion. Nate was mistreated to me. And it’s time for the blog master to admit it, explicitly.

63. Ermine says:

under 2.5 100

64. Tom P. says:

7:08 ET. Detroit is still in the Eastern Time Zone, as is the western side of the state. Sun goes down about 9:30 in the summer.

65. Dom says:

I don’t think you look anything like Chris Christie, DK.

66. Dom says:

One Boston station is stating that Game 1 against the Bruins will be 8PM on Saturday.

67. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Will there ever be a day there isn’t any more animosity between DK and Pirates fans?

68. JD says:

100 over please. Go Bucs!

69. Lad9 says:

100 on the under please Playoffs. Thank you. Go Buccos!

?

What’s the cure for a migraine headache ? Apparently a 6.28 ERA.

So true! I used to travel to Detroit for work many years ago, and I always loved that in July you could finish the work day & still hustle to the course and get 18 holes in!

73. Ermine says:

It seems like someone in the Pirates organization must have pi$$es in his corn flakes or something , when he was a beat writer

74. Ermine says:

I like that one. :)

From what I heard, Chris Christie was flattered. So, there’s that.

Surely not THIS coming Saturday, already? How ever will the teams prepare so quickly?

77. Ghost says:

No, DK does not even remotely look like Christie. It was just the angle of the photo I saw last night. Then splashed across Yahoo!News’ landing page, I saw the latest photo with the “Bromance” caption.
    Just a gag for a gag’s sake. Gag is now over with forever (maybe).

But things are a little tight in here right now, folks. Let’s all loosen up and just enjoy the evening.

Great line, Milo!

79. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

There’s also a few, yet vocal Pirates fans that may, or may not have a clue as to what they are talking about.

80. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

My bad, thought they were central TZ.

81. Jason81 says:

100 on the OVER please!

Animosity? “ill will or resentment tending toward active hostility”

You sure thats the word you want to use?

Dejan presents a forum in which he invites comments and interactions. Unless you want all flowers and rainbows, all of them aren’t going to be in agreement.

83. Ermine says:

And to think, if a lot of the arm chair GM’s would have had their way, the Pirates would have that 6.28 plus Jackson’s 6.11 and Lannan’s 6.15.

They’d be in much better shape.

84. cmat0829 says:

hmmm … i’d say the odds are to go UNDER on this one for 100 units.. so let’s do that.

85. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

100 on the over

Honestly, I could’ve easily gone either way on this one.

86. Ghost says:

Okay… Anyway, before all kinds of things started happening at once around here, NMR had commented on my comment on Travis Snider. To which I reply: Snider has answered the bell admirably every time, this season. If he wins over the right field spot, that would be fine by me. I wasn’t happy during the off-season with the impression the FO was giving that the position was his to lose. (No, I can’t recall any specific comments. But I was hardly the only one who had gotten that message.) Nevertheless, as NMR aptly pointed out at the beginning of the season, Snider was not, in fact, being run out there every day. Since then, Snider has, indeed, performed.
    Whether Snider becomes a full-time starter, or if he is continued to be used in the capacity he is presently, I’m pretty content.

87. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Really? Defintions of the words now…..pretty sure that’s what he meant. There seem to be a few, I’d say minority, that prefer things to be that way.

88. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I would still rather see more power come from the RF slot, but that’s just a preference of mine. He’s done well.

89. Ghost says:

Sorry for the third-person voice, NMR. I think you’re still in the room.

90. Ghost says:

My preference is the same it was in ST: keep running him and Tabby out there and may the best man win. If not, the platoon idea ain’t bad either. Some don’t like platoons, but it worked great for Chuck Tanner in ’79.

91. Ermine says:

If you get the power from the other three corner spots, plus CF. Then I can live with it.

92. radio wave says:

Playoffs: give me 50 on the under for tonight.

I think Travis and the oft-injured Tabata will build a decnt bridge to Polanco in 2015 or so. As long as Snider continues to improve with his power, as he has over the past 30 games or so, I have no problem with him as the lefty half of a platoon. If he proves he can handle the ABs vs. lefties also, so much the better.

94. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I dont have a problem with the platoon option either, but if these 2 continue the way they are going, I’d look for an available power hitter out there.

I also like Jones in RF and Gabby at 1B.

That is currently the best power option.

I’m not sold on Snider, but I do like what he’s been doing lately. He’s still only hitting .266

95. cmat0829 says:

I’m not real sure I understand the obsession of “power” that so many have, bloggers and non-bloggers alike. Seems to me the Bucs lineup has enough power really…rather than being concentrated in the so-called “power” positions (corner OF, 1B/3B), they have some power contribution from Catcher and 2B to balance not having “Lefty McThump” in RF.

As it stands right now, the Bucs may get 15-20HRs from C, 1B, 2B, 3B, CF…and quite possibly LF.

The Pirates problem is a poor batting average with RISP. More focus there and less on “power for powers sake” please.

Haha, no problem at all. If only I could present my own thoughts as succinctly.

I’m taking reservations for the Snider Bus ride ;-)

Lets jump on that thing

100 nuke nuggets on the OVAH

Thanks Playoffs, I am due ;-)

99. Brandie says:

May I have 100 on the over please, Dear Mr. Playoffs.

Thank you.

And Gaby is only hitting .185 and slugging .315 against RHP.

Any lineup against RHP with him in it is simply not the best power lineup the team can field.

You can interpret him using the word incorrectly, I’ll take it for what it actually means.

Completely agreed.

The Pirates are 5th in HR and 5th in ISO. Last year they finished 4th. They do not NEED any more power.

The Pirates finished last season 14th in OBP. THAT is where they needed improvement.

Snider, along with Gaby and Russell, brings that element to the team.

103. Ghost says:

Sounds pretty good to me.

104. cmat0829 says:

and I’m not even a sabre-geek.. I just go by what my eyes tell me when i watch every inning.

My only point about Snider’s power is that he was acquired to be a power bat, and then it seemed to me that he was undergoing some sort of a metamorphosis in which he stopped driving the ball when he arrived last year and on into this season until a month or so ago. I have admitted that I see him returning to a guy who is driving the ball with much more regularity now. You make a good point that this team has enough power from other sources that if it only gets 10 HR from RF it won’t be the end of the world for the offense.

NMR:

Responded to you on previous thread (I miss Bob calling them “windows”-always liked that).

Did not know game thread was up.

107. Playoffs by 2012 says:

How would you describe it?

108. cmat0829 says:

not sure, I may have missed something in that Snider was “acquired to be a power bat”… whose opinion is that? Stated from Pirates FO? Clint Hurdle? Media? Bloggers?

109. Frankie says:

Give me 100 on the under

Thanks

This team has problems but power isn’t one of them. Their problem is the only way they can score is with the homerun, yesterday notwithstanding. Yesterday’s game was quite encouraging in that regard. If these guys are to contend deep into the summer they need to become more consistent offensively. Plain and simple they need to score more runs, independent of the long ball.

111. cmat0829 says:

Neal’s quote from the trade: “He’ll work the count, he’ll take a walk,” Huntington said. “He can use the whole field with authority.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-trade-away-lincoln-for-snider-646947/#ixzz2Ucqes550

Seems to me he is as advertised.

Just wrote back. Appreciated the response. Just don’t tell that ole curmudgeon Milo. :)

Disagreement. No more, no less.

There might be a couple guys here who seem to consistantly try to make Dejan something he isn’t.

Otherwise, we sometimes just plain don’t agree with him. These are all opinions. Thats gonna happen.

It seems like Dejan is aware of the cowards on other blogs who trash talk him while knowing they can approach him directly on here. THEY clearly hold some amount of animosity towards him.

By and large, especially on this forum, that doesn’t exist. We just don’t always agree. Simple.

DK: I will agree with — and respect — all of that. It’s taken almost all of the fun out of ever writing about this team, I’ll add.

Doesn’t mean I won’t do it. Obviously, I’ll do it even when knee-deep in another assignment. And I’ll do it to the very best of my ability in every case.

114. Ghost says:

I don’t remember what the Pirates may have said they anticipated in getting from Snider when he was acquired. But I think the appetites of some of us may have been whetted by his 14 HR’s in 298 AB’s, two years prior when he was 22 years old.

115. Ermine says:

Does anyone remember where the .dripping with power..started? Was it Sean Casey on MLB Network?

DK: Blogger on FanGraphs credited it to a scout. Though there also are people who think I came up with it to make fun of the guy, which is not the case.

116. cmat0829 says:

Cool, we can have an appetite for power in RF…that’s different from saying that Snider “was acquired to be a power hitter”. The former is what we WANT to happen, the latter is being used to opine that Snider is not living up to expectations…there is a difference, especially if it is alluded that the Front Office expected something he isn’t doing.

Clint even said so a few days ago…”the only ones not worried about his power is US. We want him to be a good hitter again”

117. Ghost says:

Not only do I not know the answer to this, but I also don’t know how he got the nickname “Lunchbox.”
    Anyone?

Jose Contreras to the Convenience List with “lower back inflammation”. Bryan Morris returns. Funny how these things seem to work themselves out.

119. Ermine says:

I think it’s his twitter name, not sure

120. Brandie says:

I am happy to see you back. :-)

121. cmat0829 says:

AWESOME!

122. JRay3 says:

COntreras to 15 day DL with lower back inflammation, Morris recalled, hmmm.

123. JRay3 says:

Sorry Milo, did not see your post…but have to agree funny how that worked out.

124. Ermine says:

Who would have guessed. Is that going to end up being the 60 day CL, or turn into a DFA

125. cmat0829 says:

Interesting… in the course of a month, two situations like this have come about… Mercer sent down and JMac kept, only to go on DL a day or 2 later…now Morris/Contreras… do you think there is anything more to this… in that perhaps Clint wins the argument but not quick enough?

126. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Fair enough.
    Thank you for writing that.

No worries. I do it all the time. :)

128. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Understand….

129. JRay3 says:

Could possibly be or could be one of they guys who pulled his back is 38 years old and the other is 41 years of age.

I, too, have often wondered if other clubs have the same timely injuries the Bucs seem to have with struggling players.

130. Brandie says:

I think Travis Snider has acquitted himself quite well. Keep playing him daily so he can improve his average and work to help the team. He is young and will, hopefully, continue to mature into something special.

131. Brandie says:

Good day Jandy.

132. cmat0829 says:

not sure what team telecast it was, but last week i was watching on the satellite package and one of the announcers was alluding to “funny how timing works with injuries”…same concept. Cant recall the team though.

133. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

By my use of the term power, I don’t necessarily mean HR’s, of course those are always nice.

Power hitter meaning a RBI guy. Someone that can drive the ball for doubles, when it counts.

HR’s are overrated and it is not what the Pirates need, they do need a legit #4-5 hitter. I dont think Jones is the guy and Pedro…….well. Ya know

134. Brandie says:

Hey hey, Hippolicious!

135. cherokee23 says:

100 under

Maybe he will find where his control went?

Sniffs of the old CL ;-)

Told ya Milo ;-)

138. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window, great day for another sterling Jeanmar Gomez performance.

Ok on to today’s line….we have Jones and Alvarez two of the better RBI producers on the team with 26 and 27 respectively. However Jones has not had a multi-RBI game in 15 game appearances and Alvarez does have three in his last ten games and seven overall. However, in May, any time Pedro goes 0 for after a game with a hit he follows it with another 0 for performance. That stat is telling and offers some value.

75 on the UNDER

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

139. You heard it here first.

Havana, maybe ?

141. JRay3 says:

hysterical

142. Joey Mellons says:

100 on the under.

Being completely serious for a minute, he was just away on bereavement last weekend. He very well may have lost someone close to him and these things tend to affect people differently. He was pitching OK before he left. Maybe he just needs some time away to clear his head.

The old site, there are several that continue to trash him

I go there once in a while, not too often and when I see it, I ask why

Just nonsense response. Heck, he made that place

As he has done here

Just sayin

145. Ermine says:

Good point

146. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Still critical, but I can get over that rather quickly.

Thoughts on moving him UP in the lineup? I personally don’t see it, but he has as much power as NW.

Can he produce in an RBI situation?

147. cosmo says:

100 on the under please

148. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

True story…

Brandie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have you been???

Good to see you! :)

150. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I dont think we need to get into the “dripping with power” discussion again.

I like to joke around about it, but it was a topic of conversation on twitter about a month ago. There was a blogger (I think) with Toronto that came up with that.

Also, the Lunchbox is part of his name on twitter. doesn’t do much with his account except send out random pictures of steak.

HEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see I missed all the fun.

some kind of cartoon character

I never checked how it related to the Pirates or a vocal few.

But SOMEbody did a pretty good imitation of Snidely Whiplash.

153. Brandie says:

Hello Hipposter!

Mister Playoffs……….

Je voudrais 100 hippopotames de danse hilare sur le

UNDER !!

Merci.

155. Karen22 says:

50—OVER

156. John Lease says:

He’s pitched OK for AAA, not this year’s Pirates. Send him packing, please.

It’s Twitter Tuesday!!

It’s Twitter Tuesday!!

158. Ermine says:

I have an avatar on gravatar how do I add it here.

159. Ermine says:

I got my answer lol

Really sneaks up on you with the holiday and all.

Hi Brandie !!!! :)

162. MadTurk says:

Yeah check with Drew he keeps all of Dk’s posts and whatnots.

If not too late 100 on the over..thanks!

164. I don’t think DK looks at who’s posting some of the time. JMHO

Nate is too nice a guy to say anything cutting. His posts are mostly humorous and well-thought, especially his daily summary.

There are some on here who would embellish some of the horse manure from other places, but he isn’t one of them.

165. Is that an ermine?

166. Ermine says:

Yes it is, or as close as I could find lol

167. JRay3 says:

Estimated opening pitch in Detroit 8:20 EST.

168. Dave G says:

Hey Hippo… we need a victory tonight… give the Tigers one of your patented ‘Hippo Hurricane Hollars’

(Courtesy of Peter Potamus)

169. Ermine says:

Hopefully it’s the only delay. Gomez hasn’t been lucky with weather.

170. Ermine says:

Too funny :)

171. JRay3 says:

Doesn’t look good, important to play well in the first five as weather looks tough all night.

172. Ermine says:

The Reds are already up 3-0 after one.

Lord, too funny!
    I totally forgot about this!

Wonder what would happen if I did the Holler while dancing??? ;)

174. JRay3 says:

Will the Reds and Cardinals ever lose? Have to keep pace and stay within striking distance. Good thing is there are plenty of chances remaining against both of those clubs with the division heavy scheduling.

175. Brandie says:

You would start a new trend.

176. Ermine says:

Things sure have changed. I’m watching The Reds/Indians…Bourne hits a ball to the wall (it’s caught) he comes back to the dugout and gets like 10 fist bumps…When has making an out deserve praise?

Or am I missing something?

Would that be good, or bad???

178. Brandie says:

Good, I’d say. Call it The Hippo Holler and Swivel. It would sweep the nation. Guaranteed.

179. Brandie says:

Went to Ohio to a music festival.

180. Dave G says:

Peter Potamus would make a great avatar for you, Hippo! Lots of neat images of him on Google.

181. Ermine says:

I think that’s one reason there was such an over reaction, to yesterdays loss. Every loss seems so much bigger, due to StL and Cincy winning almost every day

Brandie, I say this with much love………..

YOU ARE A GOOF !

Dave,
    I will have to remember that.

This is a much needed laugh tonight.

Ok, being this is a TWITTER TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!! (God help Us),

Who are the twits?
    The Bucs?
    The Tigers?
    The announcers?
    The chick in the studioo having much difficulty reading?
    Or us, for listening to this dreck?

Just glad the game has begun.

185. Brandie says:

I AM THE GOOF! :-)

The umpires.

188. Brandie says:

You are so right, Mr. Milo.

189. Ermine says:

I don’t think anyone could argue the point.

Especially true since we wont have a mascot race tonight……… ;)

Pacers start the game on an 11-0 run.

Now 17-16 Heat.

I’m dizzy.

What sport is that?

If it is the one called The NBA, I hear you can just wait until the last 2 minutes to watch.

Ah, Pittsburgh.

If they don’t love us, we don’t love them.

6.28 has magically become 5.87.

195. Ermine says:

How do the Pirates make a guy with a 6.28 look like Denny Mclain ?

196. Ermine says:

Don’t let the boss catch you talking NBA. I found out that he gets testy

197. JRay3 says:

The answer to the Jeopardy question- What happens when you face the Pirates offense?

198. JRay3 says:

Credit where credit is due…2.75 has become 2.54 for Jeanmar Gomez against a far more imposing lineup.

How about some support when these pitchers are firing some zeroes.

Bert and Ermie – I suspect that Snidely is all Whiplashed out today.

And about the NBA — this is the only sport that people complain that the games are close at the end. Scurrilous.

I guess we miss those 20 point college basketball blowouts.

I miss Australian Rules Football.

It’s through for one behind.

I miss the Riverhounds

Milo, ARF was/is great.

Hard hitting, bloody, insane action, almost constant motion…………………. and pom-poms the size of small buildings in the stands near the goal lines. That means even the fans must be tough to carry those things around……….

204. Ermine says:

It’s time for a few runs.

I hear you can just wait until the last 2 minutes to watch the Riverhounds lose.

Jeanmar is loading up the ball. Probably that Bullfrog sunscreen that everyone’s using. Watch him wipe his right hand around his left forearm just as he’s about to get the ball back from Martin. Look how shiny his left forearm is. How is this legal ?

207. Ermine says:

I didn’t notice it. I’ll watch.I can’t see how it could be legal, on the mound.

208. Ermine says:

What a shock, the Cards are winning too.

Clay Buchholz has been doing it in Boston. They were too busy showing things other than the game last inning. I thought I noticed it last game, but then the rain delay came and he never went back out there.

210. Eric Bowser says:

55 pitches through 5 innings…. Gomez needs to get another 2-3 innings with that pitch count.

211. The Gunner says:

Looks like it is starting to get to JMac according to the Altoona Mirror newspaper:

“A peculiar scenario played out Monday when Garcia stepped out of the dugout to remove McDonald in the first inning. The pitcher made a little motion with his right hand, as if to suggest to Garcia that he didn’t want to come out, and the two appeared to exchange words on the mound for a few seconds.”

48-47 Pacers at the half.

213. JRay3 says:

How many times a year do we have to hear about some pitcher matching or setting a career high in strikeouts…just unreal have to put bat on ball.

214. Patrick(ri) says:

There’s an alarming quote from recent history “that equals his career strikeout total.”

215. Patrick(ri) says:

Great minds . . .

216. Eric Bowser says:

Watching game 7 between Sharks and Kings… someone is shaving their beard tonight.

The way these two teams are playing… NHL might want both to forfeit and let Chicago and Detroit battle for 8 more games.

Yes. Haven’t you heard — the bullpen needs saved.
    They are tired.

I don’t care that a player snaps at his coach.

I care that he sucks.

220. Brandie says:

Way past time, Ermine.

flip it around the other way.

Who saw this kinda pitching coming from Gomez?

I certainly didn’t.

222. Patrick(ri) says:

Pedro has been very impressive on defense lately.

223. JRay3 says:

Gomez goes quickly through top of Tigers order in sixth. Can middle of Pirate lineup manufacture something off of a mediocre pitcher third go round?

Can’t ask for much more from your fifth starter than what Gomez continues to give this team.

224. Ermine says:

Go Pacers !

226. JRay3 says:

Very fair and good observation, he is making both the easy and difficult plays.

227. Steelag70 says:

Power pitchers are kryptonite to this lineup. Didn’t Porcello K like 15 Buccos last year?

I saw in that article that JMac said that he didn’t realize how many pitches he had thrown and was up against his limit —so he wanted to tell Garcia that he was good-to-go.

I’m not sure I am buying it.

229. JRay3 says:

Not often you see Cutch K multiple times in back to back games, and with that a season high for Porcello on the whiffs.

230. Steelag70 says:

Nope…Porcello is a power pitcher…kryptonite to this lineup.

There’s a DH. Who would you put in? Inge?

Career high.

233. Eric Bowser says:

He can’t possibly get pushed out of the rotation if he keeps pitching like this…. could he?

234. JRay3 says:

Porcello last three starts against the Pirates, 1earned run in 21 1/3 innings, he may ask to be traded to the NL Central.

235. Steelag70 says:

Like I said yesterday…Cutch just doesn’t have it this year…taking a big step back.

Go halftime!

237. JRay3 says:

Even worse and it is now up to 10…good grief the amount of pressure this offense places on the Pirate pitching staff.

238. Steelag70 says:

What is it about this guy that confuses the Buccos so much? Everybody else lights him up…

Somebody will go on the DL if necessary.

240. Steelag70 says:

This offense is lousy.

I think if they feel Charlie Morton is better suited as a starter then Gomez gets bumped to the pen.

Go Condors!

243. Eric Bowser says:

Fine grab by McCutchen…

RBI’s are pointless—NMR. :-)

245. JRay3 says:

I wish I had the answer, but I really wish Jay Bell and Clint Hurdle had that answer.

246. Steelag70 says:

23 K’s in two games for this putrid offense.

247. cmat0829 says:

hate to say it but the home plate umps have been a bit slanted toward the Tigers… yesterday was obvious, thought maybe it was verlander effect…but today porcello is getting close balls called strikes and Mr Gomez not so lucky.

Since Contreras was sent to the gulag somewhere, I see this game possibly going extras.
    If Contreras was still here, CH would use him, and we would lose.

I wonder if the Pirates struggles in interleague play are caused by not being familiar with these pitchers, making them look like Cy Youngs to us.

249. JRay3 says:

Saved potential extra bases…way this game is going need both defense and pitching to remain sharp.

He does it every time he gets a new ball.

251. Patrick(ri) says:

I used to think Van Slyke was worth a run or two per game. Cutch is up there with him, even with a weaker arm.

Half of what?

This guy has turned into Jeff Karstens.

254. Eric Bowser says:

2.30 ERA for Gomez….

*FREAK SHOW*

255. Steelag70 says:

No…it just exposes our “swing and miss” lineup of hitters…our lineup vs power pitchers is truly putrid.

256. JRay3 says:

Gomez just 73 pitches to get through seven innings allowing just three hits. That type of performance keeps a guy like Cole in Indy and Morton on the fringes.

Not lose—- tie.

258. Steelag70 says:

This lineup just cannot hit power pitchers…maybe the umps are slightly biased, but then if that’s the case then we should rack up some K’s the next two games at home.

259. cmat0829 says:

come on pedro!!

260. cmat0829 says:

need a pinch runner now

Who is this guy? No way he sits after this game.

262. Ermine says:

Did Pedro just get a base hit?

I think “they” call this depth.

264. cmat0829 says:

have to say the tigers are loaded. The offense is out of control good… but the starting pitching is deeeeeep. Verlander/Sanchez/Fister/Scherzer and Porcello as a #5. Now if only they had a bullpen….. Valverde isn’t gonna get it done folks. I’ve seen less beer bellies on slow pitch softball pitchers.

265. Steelag70 says:

Gaby will K…no worries…lol.

266. Ermine says:

I thought I was seeing things (I am actually a Pedro fan)

:yawn.

269. Steelag70 says:

If Porcello is so good this year, then why is his ERA over 5??

270. JohnH says:

JohninOshkosh: Hi Dejan-Your coverage at the All Star came has been exceptional. Will the uptick in attendance factor into the Pirates ability or desire to enter into contract extensions with players currently under contract?

Dejan Kovacevic: More money earned should mean more money to spend. Absolutely.

Read more: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_746253.html#ixzz2UdxAOJkK
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Melancon is warming up!!!

Melancon is warming up!!!

His first 2 games this year, he was 0-2, with a 13.89 ERA.

He has been better since.

You crazy, dude. But you are definitely entitled to your opinion.

The only reason I can think of for the bullpen being up is that Jeanmar’s leg has stiffened up from that ball that hit him 3 weeks ago.

275. Ermine says:

Not being Johnny rain cloud, but it’s now 7-1 Reds

276. cmat0829 says:

i’ll take him as a #5. he’s like a charlie morton, if he’s on, he’s on. if he isn’t, take cover. point of my post was not porcello it was the others. who has a better 1-4 staff?

Or he’s run out of Bullfrog.

+1.

Maybe he needs to put that stuff from his arm on his leg too?

279. Steelag70 says:

That means other teams have been able to hit him…just another indicator of this Bucco offense…

281. Ermine says:

Josh is pinch running. God help us lol

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harrison is in to run !!!!!!!

Well, I guess Wife Swap is always on………..

283. Steelag70 says:

That’s why yesterday’s game was so frustrating. Reds and Cards just keep winning…

284. Lad9 says:

Way to get back J-Hay!

285. JRay3 says:

Do not understand sendin Barmes up here in this situation….this is where the lack of a threat for a bat on the bench really hurts.

JHay to pinch run for Alvarez removing our best power threat.

286. Steelag70 says:

Worse yet…Barmes is hitting!

287. Steelag70 says:

288. JRay3 says:

$%#^+!?#%^%#%^<

+1997

290. Steelag70 says:

This lineup is HOPELESS!!

291. Barmes with the DP. Clint under-managaged there. Should have been Mercer time.

292. cmat0829 says:

if i were managing, i’d have pinch run Mercer and pinch hit Inge there. Then both play in the field.

293. Lad9 says:

Barmes makes me wild. He had no business hitting there. Come on Clint.

294. Patrick(ri) says:

I would like to offer thanks to(almost) all participants for making gametime more interesting and challenging. The psychic benefits are considerable, not to mention all the marriages that are saved by virtue of this outlet for frustration.

For example, I would normally be cursing poor Barmas at this point.

295. Steelag70 says:

Why take Pedro out at all?? He’s your best power bat.

whole-heartedly agree!

297. cmat0829 says:

because it looks like 1 run may win this game, have to get speed on the bases in scoring position so you can get a run with a single.

298. Patrick(ri) says:

Or, perhaps, Barmes.

What will be the “reason” for pulling Jeanmar this time ? Only 73 pitches. SMH.

300. cmat0829 says:

no it’s not. today they are not performing well so us fans have no hope. its been a decent lineup thus far this season.

301. Ermine says:

It shows how little confidence they have in Mercers defense, in a close game. The DH kills NL teams.

Rain delay.

303. Ermine says:

As I say that.. Oh My

Want to re-think that now that he made an error?

And had Barmes been lifted, that wouldn’t have happened.

306. Patrick(ri) says:

Have I conjured up some sort of Barmes devil?

307. JRay3 says:

Someone please tell me NH is smart enought to trade for a good fielding, good hitting SS to improve this team, we have pieces get it done.

That error was atrocious, Barmes in less than one inning doing all he can to give this game away.

308. cmat0829 says:

I’m sure the reason will be he ‘was done’, he gave it everything he had. I think the real reason is that as a manager you dont want to give up a run late by pressing your luck with Gomez (unchartered territory) when you can put in a fresh bullpen arm like Wilson. I’m sure if he had left Gomez in and he had given up a HR, we’d be saying why didnt he take him out sooner.

309. Lad9 says:

Good thing we kept Barmes in for his stellar defense. I try not to be like this but can we please BENCH HIM!

310. JRay3 says:

he was not stretched out after going just 3.2 innings due to weather last time out.

We keep Barmes because …………..

1) CH loves him,
    2) NH has to justify signing him.

Realistically, how many other teams would Barmes start for?

312. cmat0829 says:

Well, I’ve been a Barmes defender since he was acquired, but I’m now ready to join the mob. It’s Mercer time! Barmes can be the utility guy and Neal needs to be on the lookout for a shortstop in the Jed Lowrie mold. Blog homework assignment…who may be available at trade deadline time or sooner that can be an upgrade for us at SS? And save the Ronny Cedeno sighting please.

I never criticize a manager for leaving a pitcher in who is tossing a shutout.

314. cmat0829 says:

oh boy, Tigers get that pitch called a strike… not the Bucs though

315. JRay3 says:

The DBacks traded for SS Didi Gregarious in the offseason giving away top pitching prospect Trevor Bauer. Gregarious is hitting like .350 with power adding another HR last night versus Darvish to give DBacks come from behind win, why can’t we be the team to pull that type of trigger?

316. cmat0829 says:

love me some Justin Wilson! Nice story that isn’t being told really.. he has now become a late inning bullpen force!

317. Steelag70 says:

Man can Wilson let it rip!

318. JRay3 says:

Maybe a few in the International and Pacific leagues.

Good game. I hope Leyland brings in Belinda.

320. Steelag70 says:

321. Eric Bowser says:

Justin Wilson is….

Ice Ice Baby… too cold, too cold.

322. Ermine says:

I’m starting to come around to that too, but I’m still afraid that Mercer will be a .220 hitter too.

323. Steelag70 says:

Because NH won’t trade top prospects for impact bats…

324. cmat0829 says:

we havent seen the Bucs 9th yet, but who else thinks it should be Grilli time regardless? Reasoning, Cabrera and Fielder will be coming up and even if it is still 0-0, I think it’s the best time for Grilli to try to live thru the 9th. WE’d still have Melancon to close if needed.

325. JRay3 says:

#STFD….realized he had to do it himself with Barmes bumbling things behind him….what an arm he has.

326. Steelag70 says:

Maybe Wilson becomes the next closer for this team…

327. cmat0829 says:

sorry, i wouldnt trade cole or taillon for didi either. I’m aiming lower but will still be a fair amount higher than the ‘other Clint’.

328. Ermine says:

This is one hell of a game.

Good one!

My friends and I always called him “Be-limpa”, becasue when he came in, his ERA blew up like a blimp.

330. Steelag70 says:

I would be Ok with that.

331. JRay3 says:

Can Wilson try and go one more?

Ha.

I think Houston.
    Cant think of any others.

333. Steelag70 says:

Ummmm…not so great a game for this offense…

334. Ermine says:

Maybe he pitches the 9th tonight

335. cmat0829 says:

i think they are grooming him to do so. Neal talked about this being an “apprentice year” for him.

Yes it is.

American League fans have to be cringing at this game. It isnt one of their beloved 10-7 slugfests.

337. Steelag70 says:

I’m cringing at this game because of our putrid offense…

338. Ermine says:

The first in everything Tigers haven’t done that well either

339. Steelag70 says:

Ok Cutch…time to be Clutch…

340. Steelag70 says:

Who cares about the Tigers? Our offense cannot hit power pitchers…too many “swing and miss” hitters.

341. Steelag70 says:

Cutch….what is going on with you?? UGGGHHHHH….

342. Steelag70 says:

Really beginning to lose faith in Cutch….waaaayyyyy too many K’s this year…

343. cmat0829 says:

wow the ump missed that strike

344. Ermine says:

Gutsy steal..oh my

345. Steelag70 says:

Hahaha…

This one’s really gonna hurt.

347. cmat0829 says:

yikes, hide under the bed.. hunter/cabrera/fielder due up.

348. Steelag70 says:

God this offense sucks in the clutch….

349. Lad9 says:

Frustrating!!!!

350. Ermine says:

You see it coming too :/

351. JRay3 says:

Well really need Grilli to be on his game and get through meat of Tiger order. Lineup just an epic fail tonight.

352. Patrick(ri) says:

We started tonight with the 4th or 5th worst team BA with RISP, so these last two innings ate no surprise.

Really? You don’t remember this guy’s entire minor league career and his first year or two at Toronto as being a power guy? Because that is exactly what he was. I even watched video of him in a HR contest in the minors. Everyone kept saying the Pirates needed a left-handed power bat, even to the point of naming the need “Lefty McThump.” I don’t think I imagined all of that. Last year he was not lifting the ball much, and the stats bore that out. I thought I observed that he was doing that again this year, and I speculated (as we all do here about everything) that he was remaking himself into a higher on base hitter, with minimal power – a lefty hitting Jose Tabata, if you will. But, I have admitted that I misjudged him. He is driving the ball again, and even though his HR #’s don’t yet reflect that, he is hitting a lot of 2b’s and scorching the ball to the gaps pretty frequently now. I think if he keeps this up the HR’s will continue to increase. Neal made a bunch of quotes after the trade, and I thought it was pretty well known that we were looking to add a power bat. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. Either way, I am happy that he is hitting the ball with authority more often in the air now, regardless of whether he was acquired to do that or not.

354. JRay3 says:

Or check that Justin Wilson.

They came into tonight hitting .242 as a team. That’s 12th in the NL.

356. Steelag70 says:

This lineup as constructed will continue to be an epic fail vs power pitchers…now even Cutch is struggling to make contact…

That’s their overall team batting average. Just not good enough. If they’re to win this one you know it’s going to take a long ball.

358. Eric Bowser says:

Fielder was sitting on that curve but man, Wilson is pure nasty throwing mid-90s fastball and coming back with 78 curve.

359. cmat0829 says:

no matter what happens now, gotta be totally impressed with Justin Wilson. He’s ready for prime time now…in my eyes he has eclipsed Watson and is ready to set up Grilli with Melancon.

Milo, you should have a good line about bad outings causing bad backs to accompany your gem from earlier today about how a 6.28 ERA is a cure for migraines.

Dodged a HUGE bullet there.

362. Steelag70 says:

WHEW!!!

363. Ermine says:

Heart stopper LOL

364. Steelag70 says:

Agreed…this kid is something special…

365. That’s almost as funny as “Round Trip” Kipper.

366. Ermine says:

The eye test is passed..I agree

367. Lad9 says:

Agree. Martinez just scared me though. Whew!

368. JRay3 says:

Wow….alive by a foot…time for Martin, Harrison and Sanchez.

369. Patrick(ri) says:

I read somewhere the Dodgers are trying to figure out how to get rid of Ethier. Is he used up? He used to drive lots of runs. Perhaps we could steal him.

370. Steelag70 says:

I have Victor Martinez for my fantasy team…but did not want him to hit one out…lol.

371. Steelag70 says:

Don’t want him…too big of a contract for that ego…

He’s bad news.

373. Steelag70 says:

Oh boy…..Tigers bullpen is trembling over that…lol.

374. Ermine says:

Martin gets it started !

375. Steelag70 says:

Let’s face it…this lineup, barring injury, will remain the same. This organization does not believe in acquiring impact bats…

376. Steelag70 says:

Ok J-hay…time to lay down the bunt…make up for yesterday…

377. Steelag70 says:

Am I psychic?? lol

I love basketball. It was my favorite sport to play growing up. I think NBA officiating is the worst, most dishonest officiating of any pro sport. LeBron averages about 1 foul per game. They orchestrate the outcome of nearly every game, but that’s just my opinion. I’ll take college hoops and constant effort any day.

379. Patrick(ri) says:

Make the dodgers eat most of it.

380. Patrick(ri) says:

So was Bonds and
    Ty Cobb.

He got pushed off the mound by his manager tonight with 7 zeores and a very low pitch count.

382. Steelag70 says:

JEEBUSSSSSS!!!!!!

383. Steelag70 says:

Wow…14 K’s in this game…

He ain’t either of those guys.

385. Patrick(ri) says:

maybe Mercer has not been around long enough to catch the RISP malaise?

386. Steelag70 says:

Mercer time…has to be….

387. Patrick(ri) says:

For sure.

Very few guys at any positions make throws like Pedro does where the ball stays on a perfect line all the way across the field. He has an amazing arm.

Two wild pitches away.

Finally, they get a chance and Clint hits the most pathetic DP in the history of DPs right to the 3b standing next to the bag. He could not have tee’d up that ball for Miggy any better.

+1, Arriba. We can all disagree about a lot of this stuff.

392. Steelag70 says:

UUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

393. Patrick(ri) says:

I was hoping the outfielders would collide.

394. Lad9 says:

I can’t speak to his clubhouse presence but on the field his production is way down this year over nearly 200 plate appearances. And he is no longer passing the eye test either. I wouldn’t want him now based on that.

395. Steelag70 says:

It’s a disease with this team…..

396. Steelag70 says:

Only the Stros or our team does crap like that.

As good as Cutch is in CF, and I think he is terrific, I really believe Marte is even better. He has a cannon. And, the word is this kid Polanco is right there with Marte. That will be one fun OF!

398. twentytwo22 says:

Announcers were marveling at two pitches that were hanging sliders belt high down the middle.

399. Steelag70 says:

Why does it surprise them that one of our hitters would just let them go by?

400. Steelag70 says:

Still don’t want him…

Melancon has allowed runs in 2 of his last 3 outings.

402. Ermine says:

I almost always have the volume off

403. Steelag70 says:

Wrong time for him to be coming back to earth….

& he gets yanked.

This guy has probably never bunted before in his life. I don’t get it.

Two of our hitters did. The problem was it was a nasty pitch. Which I assume meant it didn’t start in the zone.

Had 3 pitches to put him away with 2 strikes & couldn’t do it.

408. Steelag70 says:

Crap…

It is true that our offense is not great. Most NL offenses are not as good as those of the good teams in the AL. Not only do AL teams have DH’s, but that tends to make the teams favor power hitting over defense and base running. Detroit can’t field a lick at a bunch of positions, they don’t have much speed, and their bullpen is not great. They are obviously better than the Bucs with offense and probably starting pitching. Otherwise, I’d say right now we are better than them at most of the rest of the game.

410. Steelag70 says:

So what? You have to be able to at least hit one of them…

Only Barmes can hit into a DP that simple.

412. Ermine says:

A walk isn’t that bad of a thing, in that situation.

413. Steelag70 says:

Uggghhhh….don’t blow this Melancon…

It’s an average NL lineup. We shouldn’t expect them to be the equal of AL teams offensively. It is a different game, with different rosters. Our lineup has been good enough to supplement our defense, pitching and running to help us get to a 31-20 record

Lefties hitting .174 against Melancon. Righties .222.

Especially when he completed 7 innings in 73 pitches. I wonder how often that has been accomplished in all of MLB all season.

417. Ermine says:

Finally gets the K !!!!

418. Ed says:

OK. 1 more out to go

419. Ermine says:

On to the 11th

Just like Mo. Love that cutter against lefties.

421. Ed says:

On to the 11th……

Wouldn’t it be something if this game gets to 18 innings or so and another storm comes.

422. Steelag70 says:

Melancon!!

423. Steelag70 says:

Don’t say that Ed…I have to get up early…lol.

424. Rally caps, anyone!

425. Ermine says:

Suspended game.. Finish it in Pittsburgh tomorrow

Yeah. Why not.

Steve, you find a rally cap big enough to fit this Hippo’s head, and I will wear it.

WOW !!!!!

429. Ermine says:

Milo called it

430. Ed says:

PRNW!!!!!

431. Lad9 says:

NEEEEEIL!!!!!

432. Walker!!!!!!!!!!! 1-0!!!!

I felt stupid with a hat on backwards, in the house, for a second. :)

434. Steelag70 says:

NEAL!!!!! He is starting to get out of his funk….and I have him on m y fantasy team…lol. DOUBLE KUDOS for me!!

Profar might be available from Texas. But, he is the top prospect in all of MLB, and would likely cost something like Cole or Taillon, plus Hanson. No, thanks.

436. I’ve been doing it the past couple times the Bucs havebe en up to bat, then change it back to normal when Detroit comes up.

I guess Neil’s not done.

438. Patrick(ri) says:

Beautiful swing.

439. Steelag70 says:

Ok Grilli….make it count!!

I actually had to get up to get one. So I turn it around now. OK.

441. Ermine says:

Milo Hamilton says:
    May 28, 2013 at 10:47 pm

442. Love to hear the emotion from the guys as they are heading out to the field for the bottom of the inning. Come on Grilli, shut it down!

I’m entitled to my opinion.

444. Patrick(ri) says:

Looking very good, lately. As I said, his pretty LH swing is back.

It was just a question of time before he got the stroke back after missing so much time with the hand thing. I get tired of hearing how Walker is only on the team because he is from Pittsburgh. I am not saying he is a star, but he has been an average to good fielding 2b, and an above average offensive 2b for several years now. If he were from Ohio, no one would question his credentials.

I am the blogs’ resident Hippo.
    Milo is the blogs resident Psychic. :)

Need the split with this team in their yard!!

448. Ed says:

Hunter, Cabrera and Fielder……..

Won’t be anything cheap about this save.

449. Ermine says:

One down

450. Steelag70 says:

Two more Chili!!!

451. Ermine says:

TWO down !!!

The job the Pirate pitchers have done on Cabrera is nothing short of amazing.

453. Steelag70 says:

Grillliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more baby!!!!!!

+++++.

Can you at least balance it by saying we have made Miggy look silly two nights in a row? I mean, if our offense is so putrid, at least recognize that every pitcher we’ve thrown at him has made him look silly. You act as though there is nothing good about this team. Yet, all they do is compete every single night, and win most of them.

456. Ermine says:

Raise IT !!!!!!!

457. Ed says:

Raise the Jolly Roger!!!

458. JRay3 says:

Behind a Neil Walker solo HR and 11 shutout innings turned in by the Pirates pitching staff capped by a league leadin 21st save from Jason Grilli the Pirates down the Tigers to earn a series split 1-0 and there was noooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Pirates return to a season best 12 games above .500 at 32-20. The Pirates are now 17-8 in the month of May and 3-2 in interleague play. The Pirates continue their four consecutive games against the Tigers with a two game set at PNC Park with AJ Burnett getting the ball in the opener.

Let’s Go Bucs!

459. Steelag70 says:

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

460. Ed says:

And he struck out the side! WOW!

461. Lad9 says:

Yessss. Raise it. That my friends is one helluva a win!

462. STFD!!! Bucs Win!!! Take the next two at home boys!!

This is a very satisfying win.

One that previous years clubs would not have been capable of.

Wow. That game was hard.

465. Steelag70 says:

This is one of those games that could spark something special….

466. Ermine says:

One hellll of a game !!!!!!!!!

His strikeout rate is DOWN this year to the lowest of his career! But, he did have two bad hitting games in a row. Get a clue!

468. Awesome pitching by both teams tonight, but I’m glad the Bucs were just that much better.

469. Ermine says:

Is this a four game series :) you know how those turn out

I don’t know what else it means, but Grilli is a championship caliber closer.

Fortunately, they believe in acquiring impact gloves and pitching.

472. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

473. twentytwo22 says:

Walker showed what you do to a hanger! &((#)*(%*#*)(*@T&*$#&#&&*@#($*(T#GHE:LRHJNB:KLRJEg;klgtjsbn;ksl YEAH!

Great win

474. Steelag70 says:

Still need more offense though…lol.

Psychic or Psycho?

476. Ermine says:

He proved he has ice water in his veins

Not touching anything…………. ;)

Those are not the same choking dog San Jose Sharks.

You have been saying all night that there is nothing special about this team. Their offense is putrid. You must have said that 20 times. We can’t hit power pitchers, blah, blah, blah. Have some faith! This is not a perfect team. They have obvious offensive flaws, but can’t you see the progress? They pitch well almost every night – both starters and relievers. On defense, they turn more balls put in play into outs than just about any team in MLB. They run the bases well most nights (JHay aside, yesterday). And, they compete and don’t back down from anyone every night. I see big improvement, but the building is not complete yet.

480. Ermine says:

I can’t see Morton taking Gomez’s job now. Not until he fails, at least

Nice one, Ermine!

……….. or the Riverhounds……….. ;)

Melancon and Grilli warmed up and they got into the game.

Oh….and we won another game!

484. Steelag70 says:

I still say this offense, over the long-haul is not good enough. There are just too many “swing and miss” hitters. I didn’t say there wasn’t ANYTHING special, just that the offense is not good enough overall. The offense, in my opinion, is not good enough to carry this team when the pitching staff slows down a bit….if you want to compete and overtake the Cards and Reds, you must have both.

Psycho. I’m sure of it.

486. Steelag70 says:

I will have more faith in our offense when they are able to hit better vs power pitchers.

I’m worried.

489. Bob Hasis says:

As the un-official president of the Barmes Fan Club, as designated by Lucky going back to last year, I am pleased to welcome all of you new members who have committed yourself to our cause tonight.

The most pathetic example of a major league shortstop had another of his typical outings tonight.

The more he plays, you’ll see what you have been missing all along

Is halftime over in that NBA game?

491. Ermine says:

LOL Pacers won 99-92 Series tied two apiece

Game 1 of Pens-Broonz series, Saturday night at 8 on NBC.

493. cmat0829 says:

GREAT WIN, highlighted of course by another stellar bullpen performance. Someone said it earlier but can’t say enough about how the whole pitching staff has handled Cabrera who is in another league in terms of offense.

Clint said it himself after the game that they need to have other guys in the bullpen take the load off of Melancon and Grilli (really I think the major issue is Melancon more than Grilli). I think Mazarro and Wilson are our guys.

I have to say, I think too much is being made of the usage of the bullpen so far… with how hot the Reds and Cards have been the Pirates need to keep pace… keep in position…and we can fortify the pen as we move along. But Grilli and Melancon haven’t been abused…Clint is watching back-to-backs and pitch counts, etc…

That said, Clint is on it..he knows he needs to ratchet back on Melancon…

494. Have to agree based on last night.

495. The Gunner says:

Well Drew, both items you mention apply in this situation.

At least the Bucs won last night and Gomez (JMac’s replacement in the rotation and a real upgrade, I might add) pitched another good game.

496. JaxBuc says:

Since one of the goals of the PBC is to get to .500, this comment is added just so the number of comments for this Pirates entry reaches that magical number.

497. Chuck H says:

Hooray for Neil Walker! He has started to hit, but Andrew McCutchen has stopped hitting
    and is striking out profusely, almost as if trying to beat out Sir Whiffs-a-lot for that dubious
    honor. Although Barmes and Inge are genuine contenders, too, as is Marte. He , too has lost his ability to hit, and his average shows it. Although, if we keep winning at a .600
    clip, thanks mostly to the superb pitching, all will be forgiven. One more observation:
    Why is Harrison continually called up? There are others at Indy who would be of more help. Now, let’s get A.J. some runs to work with. GO, BUCS!!!