On location: Bruins 2, Penguins 1, 2 OTs, Game 3

BOSTON – Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game 3: Penguins vs. Boston Bruins, Stanley Cup playoffs, Eastern Conference final

Series: Bruins, 2-0

Time: 8:10 p.m.

Site: TD Garden, Boston

TV, radio: NBC Sports Network, CBC (Canada), RDS (Quebec), WXDX-FM 105.9

Here is the official live box score.

Here is TribLIVE’s Penguins page. Rob Rossi, Josh Yohe and I are covering.

Here’s the coverage of the morning skates, by Yohe, as well as a couple conversations I had in a rather intense room with Pascal Dupuis and Brandon Sutter

Comments

1. Sarah says:

I think Rob Rossi might have been waiting to see if Vokoun was starting. Didn’t he call for MAF?

Or is that like calling for Iggy on the RW, or on the PP, or Depres, or…..

???

2. Dave G says:

LETS

GO

PENS !!!!!!!

3. Kevin says:

yes he did.. I think those were Rossi’ steps for win though. They’re not the only steps. Although I do hope they mix things up a bit. It bothers me to think that the bruins might have the penguins and more importantly both MAF & VO solved.

4. Kevin says:

2nd’d.

5. Pucknutz says:

GO PENS !!!!

6. Sarah says:

I just meant it was interesting that DKs Tweets implied there was never any question.
    Quote : “No one’s really waiting to find out if Vokoun is starting tonight, are they? Come on. ”

It seems there were ‘someones’ waiting, and in fact expecting/hoping for the opposite, at least at the Trib. (and at PG too, and on The Fan, and on Savran….and on NBC….)

Well, the decision is made. I hope the guys all made the decision to play disciplined, defensively sound hockey in front of Voo

Whatever it takes, Pens, just get that W

9. Karen22 says:

Yep…it really doesn’t matter WHO the goalie is. This team needs to play UP to its own talent level. Gotta SCORE as well as stop the bad guys from scoring.

10. Sarah says:

Spot on from Boston (from PG)

Bert Durand · Stoughton, Massachusetts

(from Boston) Do you Pens fans think Fluery is really that much of a lost cause? A few of us Bruins fans were talking and hoping that Vokoun would play. I don’t think you can judge Fluery coming in cold in game 2. With the vulnerability of the Pens D, I’d think you’d want to take a chance with a goalie that can steal a game or two. To Bruins fans, that’s Fluery much more than Vokoun. Vokoun is solid, but they need a bit more than solid right now with the step up in competition, don’t they? If I were a Pens fan, I’d want to go with the home run hitter in net. It’s kind of the theme of the Pens roster, no? High risk, high reward?

SPOT. ON.

With the way they’re playing, their ONLY chance is a lights out performance in goal.

As I have been saying, they bet the farm they could win a CUp with Steady/Solid/but not elite goaltending in Vokoun.

He’s a safe bet cos he won’t melt down, saving mgmt from criticism.

But at this point it looks like that is all they are interested in.

LETS GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAKE A HIPPO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Dom says:

I hate to be a downer but I really cannot see us wining this series.

I know the Bruins just did this to us but I don’t see us going into Boston and winning two straight games. Right now our season is on life support and if we lose today it’s over.

Normally I think Barry Melrose is an ass, but he did say something yesterday that was spot on……………………..

He said most fans drool over the “hits” stat, but for the Pens, he said that is the worst thing to win it. He said that if the Pens are winning the “hits” stat, that means they are not controlling the puck. If they arent controlling the puck, they cant score.

That, more than anything, is your wrap-up of the first 2 games this series.

Oh, and for all the Fleury fans out there………

I am glad Fleury was our goalie for all these years. He is a good goalie, very athletic, but he is also a very mentally fragile goalie. When Disco pulled him in the Islander series, that signaled the end of his playing time in Pittsburgh. Meltdowns in 4 consectutive years playoffs after the Cup win in ’09 sealed his fate. I think management was MORE than patient with him sticking with him all these years, giving him numerous chances.

Sadly, he will be gone this offseason. Great guy, but he isnt being paid to be a great guy.
    And, the Pens better right the ship in this series, or about 9 or 10 other players will be shown the door this offseason also.

And dont get me started on Disco Duck.

COME ON PENS!!!!!!!! LETS GO !!!!!!!!!!

14. drwaido says:

We can do it.Doom, er I mean Dom :)

15. Kevin says:

one game at a time… thats Iginla’s other favorite words. we are going to focus on just winning ONE game. If we win tonight, I can definitely see us winning the series. Just like Chicago coming from 3-1 down and Boston coming from 4-1 down in a gm7, anything is possible in the SCP.

16. Kevin says:

Was that you talking about Fleury or Melrose? Couldn’t decipher where Melrose-talk and Hippo-talk endstarted.

Sorry Kevin. Melrose talk was the first paragraph, talking about hits and puck possession.

Hippo-talk was Fleury.

Sorry for the confusion.

18. Sarah says:

Hate to be gloom n Dom, er Doom too.
    But my worst fear is the choice of Vokoun is RS/DB packing it in (and I don’t just mean on MAF’s future with the team)…

I mean they’d rather lose with steady but insufficient goaltending, than risk a meltdown w MAF but possibly steal the games they need to right the ship.
    Ugh!!

I guess I need more meds LOL!!!

19. Kevin says:

I like Fleury but the point is moot. Fleury’s not a good backup goalie. Vokoun is a good backup goalie. So basically, right now, we have no backup.

I just do not understand why you would do the 60/40 Fleury/Vokoun thing during the regular season and not continue it in the playoffs. That just irks me to no end. And I am fully irked.

20. Sarah says:

Kevin I guess it comes down to they have so completely lost confidence in MAF that they cannot put him in. If that’s the case, then heck, dress Theissan or whoever as the back up.

You’re right, they don’t have a backup on the bench. He’s in goal.

21. Sarah says:

What I meant to add was, no idea who they could replace MAF with in regular season where he’s been very solid playing 55-65 games. That type of performance is not easily replaced.
    But you can’t pay the guy 5.5 mil or whatever to sit on the bench.

It will be a task for RS to see if it is possible to get rid of him and get something worthwhile in return.

Ryan Miller maybe? Dunno. Haven’t looked much. But don’t touch Luongo, he might actually be more of a potato chip than poor FLeury!!

22. Brandie says:

Well said, Karen.

23. Joni says:

I shudder to think what would happen to MAF’s confidence if he were to take the ice in Boston as the crowd starts chanting his name in that sing-song fashion. Heck, it makes me nervous hearing it while sitting and watching at home!

As for a new backup goalie, why not? Perhaps it would take the Boston crowd a while to figure out the guy’s last name before the personalized chanting commenced. Ideally, the backup goalie would have a last name with a lot of syllables that is very hard to pronounce. that would make a catchy chant hard to create, let alone share with the rest of TD Gardens in a timely fashion.

Sign in for luck, we need to get something going

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE – added 5/21
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE – added 5/21
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*

363 locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh
    Rocky Blier*
    First Responders***
    19 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    6/5/2013 5:47 PM

25. DJ says:

I agree that if we are getting close to doubling the Bruins up in total hits it is a very bad sign, regardless of whether Melrose said it (even if one of his underlings fed him the comment). If we don’t win the puck possession battle, we’re done.

On our goaltender, I don’t think it will be the deciding factor this evening. If we cannot put up 3 or 4 tonight, we’re cooked.

This blog is eerily quiet for a game night . . . as if waiting for Bergeron to put it in off the opening face-off.

Now that we’ve gotten all that negativity out of the way, let’s go get it done tonight! We CAN still right this ship. Keep the faith!

26. Rob says:

Not sure about Miller, seemed like for a “contract” year he didn’t do himself any favors. Not sure if he Sabres ever made a run with him in the playoffs, but the main thing with anyone you bring in is a proven playoff performer.

My optimistic side keeps trying to rear its ugly head. I was thinking of DK’s video earlier and his inserting the mind set the Bruin’s have at the moment. There is no reason to think any major strategy changes are going to happen.

So the Bruins now have 2-0 series lead, going back home for a game in front of their crowd. That adds some pressure to repeat what you have done in the 1st two games at home.

The other thing is just that, which is expectations. The Pen’s clearly were going into this series and the entire playoff’s as the clear favorite, at least in the east. Now their the in the unenviable position of having to explain another debacle, and live with it over the summer, through next season, and for some maybe the rest of their lives.

This is only hockey for God’s sake, and when these guys are good they can be very good. It might take a fluky goal, or bad line change by the opposition, but if they could gain little bit of momentum for an extended period of time, well, who knows. Stranger things have happened, and even though I thought that team we saw the last 2 games was going to be thing of the past with the additions this year, at least on paper there is absolutely no reason these guys can’t perform better.

LETS GO PENS!

27. Brandie says:

The Pens need to play hockey and knock off the cute stuff like fancy passes and everyone trying to get it done on their own. On how many of the goals that were scored on Vokoun was he hung out to dry because of lack of defense? How many goals went unscored, how many chances were not created due to the Pens having no solution to Boston clogging the lanes?

Not to discredit the Bruins, who have played well, but the Pens have made their own mess. Time to dance with those who brought you this far, and, for Pitty’s sake…Jarome Iginla is RIGHT WINGER! LEAVE HIM THERE! NOW!

28. Joni says:

In the midst of my own hand-wringing, I forget to appreciate the hard work and composure of Craig Adams, two time Stanley Cup winner. Thank goodness for that guy!

I wonder how long it will take Pierre (if he is a commentator tonight) to mention that Adams went to Harvard this evening. I’m thinking by the end of the first period…

29. Sherry says:

Greetings from the west coast – I am on time all the way today! So, my day so far, found out I have to have a filling done (rare, for me), broke not one, but two glass bowls (shattered!), dog not only chewed up the hamper but peed right by my desk (with me here!) and I splashed salad dressing on my SC T-shirt. But guess what, I have a good feeling about tonight.

Been wearing my SC garb all day and will go to the lucky socks right from the get go. The boys have their heads in the right place, we’ve got Alcide from True Blood on our side and Billy G is in da house! Boys get it done tonight.

LGP!

30. DJ says:

. . . right after he mentions Kristopher (not Kris) Letang.

Actually, I’m afraid we have no starter.

32. Sarah says:

BINGO!
    Sadly…..

33. mike says:

Well its the end of MAF in PGH, if he was going to stay he would be in the lineup tone. It just says MAF will not be with the Pens next year. No biggie and I hate Boston however I read I column that I totally agree with. Pens have no goalie! You can’t win a cup without a great goalie and please don’t bring up 09 that’s a lifetime. In hockey.. but go Pens

I see a fair amount of doom & gloom above and frankly, who could blame you. I’ve got to see one more period. The strangest things can turn a series around. Something stupid, like a comment from an airline pilot. Who knows ? One more period to show me that they’re not willing to do the dirty work necessary to win in the playoffs. That’s what got them last year & it’s getting them again. The unwillingness to do the hard work necessary.

Frankly, if the answer is no it won’t even take 20 minutes.

35. mike says:

I wonder if they took a poll again and asked if Lemieux is 100 then Crosby’s a _ ?

36. Sarah says:

I dunno Joni in some ways there mightbe less pressure on the road chants or not!
    I always liked playing in front of hostile crowds.
    Shut’em up LOL!!

37. Sherry says:

Good point Milo – I agree.

38. BillyBaduka says:

LET’S GO PENS!!!!

Bruins should come out on fire, Pens have to weather that storm

BTW a baseball note, heard Wandy is on a plane back to the burgh

Don’t know how to read that

Is your dog a dachsy?

Sounds like my two

41. Joni says:

As many a Buffalonian (that’s what we are called, I kid you not!) will tell you, Ryan Miller was the sh$@ for quite some time. He was one of the main reasons why people attended a Sabres game.

Miller helped the Sabres get to the Eastern Conference finals in 2006 and 2007.

Let’s not even talk about the Winter Classic in 2008, when the Pens/Crosby won in a shootout. or the Winter Olympics when Sid scored the golden goal on Miller.

Honestly, I can’t even walk around in Penguins gear here. I have been heckled numerous times for wearing things that say “Crosby” on the back. The best was when one lady said, “we don’t serve your kind here” at a local grocery store. Charming!

But I digress…

Now, Ryan Miller’s name is mud in Sabreland. He is not shy about calling out fellow teammates (recently Patrick Kaleta) on their less than stellar plays and ways. Miller definitely lost cool points with Western New Yorkers as he became more vocal. Even though he said what everyone else was thinking.

Interestingly enough, at least for us, Ryan Miller’s play went downhill after he got married in 2011. Weird! Miller does not live full time with his wife, Noureen. She is an actress and lives on the West Coast. Some Sabres fans speculate that Miller might be saying unfortunate things and sometimes flailing about in net because he wants to get out of his contract and live closer to his wife. I think that’s malarkey, but there you have it.

And that is the ballad of Ryan Miller, Rob.

Dejan was on the radio, kinda said the same thing, MAF is on shaky ground

We’ll see, the series is not over yet

43. BillyBaduka says:

+many agreed

I can see going with Vokoun if they think Fluery is rattled.

They had a chance to see where Fluery was against Ottawa. They didn’t take it.

And now here we are. As you have been saying – What a shame.

44. Sarah says:

Spot on Milo.
    Yes I heard that JetBlue pilot remark.
    If that doesn’t make them want to rub Boston’s noses in it nothing will.

But it still takes hard work, and we’ve not seen that yet this series.

First goal is huge.

45. Scott says:

The penguins are built like a fine swiss watch…they are put together fantastically and usually work great, but when 1 thing goes wrong with them, they totally fall apart. Tonight is NOT about goaltending or line combinations… Getting back in this series requires a sound, disciplined game plan and willingness to commit to defense and manage the puck.

46. Sarah says:

Well for my money, if they cannot get a really solid G in return, I’d invest in a goalie coach for Fleury. He has actually regressed in several categories since 2009 when he worked a lot with Ty Conklin.

Meloche has done nothing to correct deficiencies in MAFs game, and seems like your typical Penguins legacy/charity/hire. I.e. Useless.

Heck, maybe hire Conklin! Couldn’t hurt!

47. Joni says:

And “Matty” Niskanen.

God bless Pierre and his foolish ways.

48. MadTurk says:

Wow Sarah you really have thing about the goaltending.
    MAF has flopped before in the playoffs and has flopped again this year. But that is what you want over a steady but not spectacular goal tender when we can’t aford to lose another game. All for a chance that he may have a good game. I just don;t understand that thinking when our backs are against the wall.

49. BillyBaduka says:

No you don’t need more meds. They just painted themselves into a corner by not playing Fleury until game 2.

Since he didn’t look good, they are going with the “safer” option. I expected it and with way Fleury looked I don’t blame them for this particular decision.

There is a lot I blame them for that got us here.

I hope your wrong that they are packing it in but you could be right. I think it’s evident some changes are needed no matter the result of this season (yes even a Cup). Losing with effort is one thing but these meltdowns have to be addressed.

Yup, he has to be replaced, can’t go into next season with only TV and I don’t think there is much in the minors that could help next season

A FA? That costs and the cap would be a challenge as is

51. DJ says:

I wish the Pens would mention “Matty” as part of a trade this off season.

52. Sherry says:

Of course he is! 6 mos old, and FINALLY house trained (mostly!) in true dachshund form.

53. BillyBaduka says:

Great post Milo.

I haven’t lost all hope yet but they aren’t giving us much reason for optimism. I agree that we should know in the first 20.

LET’S GO PENS!!!!

54. MadTurk says:

We we really want to be down about the game we can watch the replay of todays Pirate game on ROOT.

Otherwise I look forward to the game tonight and hope to see a vast improvement and to keep hope alive.

55. BillyBaduka says:

Good analogy and good post.

56. Sarah says:

Great info Joni!
    Well I think the Pens D could use a talking to frequently! Though apparently Vokoun will call them out when needed. I’ve always thought Miller was solid and could be great too.

I dunno about the trade situation. I’m not up on cap rules either, but if they buy out MAF does his 5+ mil go back to the cap?

Bottom line we’d need a G who can play 50 or more games with excellent nbrs.

That won’t come cheap unless it comes from the farm system and I don’t think they have anyone really ready yet.

57. Sarah says:

Yeah. They may wind up keeping him for his red season nbrs and go for a G at the deadline before the playoffs. Don’t put anything past RS lol! But it’s clear the wont want him in net next spring….

58. DJ says:

About an hour or so until the puck drops. Would love nothing better than to see us walk out of TD Garden with a win tonight . . . any . . . way . . . possible. Like the Isles series, need something like a Bennett or other unexpected goal to get us kick-started and take the pressure off the big boys.

59. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

Well, we’ll see what this team is all about tonight.

I know it looks bleak but most of the time when a team goes onto win the championship there is a point during the season or during the playoffs or in the final game where it looks like it might not happen…then something changes…and if they go onto win it all we remember them forever and we remember how amazing it was they way that they did it.

A lot of people didn’t think they would beat Detroit the second time around, all the way up until the closing moments of Game 7. The Steelers fell behind the Cardinals on Fitzgerald’s TD and then had to answer with a clutch drive of their own. They were 7-5 in 2005 before winning out and taking the tough road route. Pirates came back from 3-1 against the Orioles…we can go on and on…

Is this one of those teams that rises or falters when it’s truly on the line?

60. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

I do like Vokoun starting tonight. Fleury is more likely to be influenced and rattled by the road crowd. Vokoun is not a great goalie, only a solid one, but he has a calm demeanor.

We have to score some goals, though, and rather quickly. Kind of amazing to think scoring goals is our biggest problem with the offensive resumes that these guys….Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Neal, etc. It’s not like we don’t have capable players.

61. Rob says:

Small world so to speak Joni. My Mom is from Buffalo and we spent most of our summer vacations with my grandparents in the 60′s, early 70′s up there. I think West Seneca area, Bocci Pizza was the 1st place we stopped once we arrived (Leonardi’s i think also), plus Niagara Falls (also her name Noreen).
    Anyway thanks for the insider take on Miller. I knew he was good, didn’t really have a feel for the playoffs, sounds like he could use a change of scenery but sounds like he would prefer the West Coast.

62. DJ says:

If I told you we’d be down 0-2 in a series, you’d probably predict we were not getting anything from our third and fourth lines. The fact that our first two lines don’t have a point is unbelievable. In many ways, this is actually worse than last year against the Flyers. At least last year we were scoring.

63. Rob says:

Ya Sara, I think the MAF situation is really a shame. 50+ games during the regular season is not easy to replace, and when he is on can steal games. Too bad all these issues in the playoffs, which is really part of his responsibility. As TV said they left him out to dry way too many times. Would be interesting to see what his stats would be if he played for a more defense 1st team.
    You never know, he could get the call again and stand on his head and that might change everything. Plus RS may not be thinking on the same lines as us. Who knows.

64. Joni says:

Too right!

65. Joni says:

True. You expect people to taunt you on the road. One would assume that after a while it becomes white noise. Kinda like what happens when Sid is playing in another building.

Cooke has replaced Iginla on the Malkin line. Iginla joins Sutter & Bennett on the 3rd line. We’ll see how long those last. Jokinen a scratch.

67. DJ says:

. . . maybe HCDB will be bold enough to swap Depres for Engelland. I hope so.

68. Eric Bowser says:

Just got home, my apologies…

Lines
    Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis
    Cooke – Malkin – Neal
    Bennett – Sutter – Iginla
    Morrow – Vitale – Adams
    Orpik – Martin
    Niskanen – Letang
    Murray – Engelland

Vokoun
    Fleury

69. Dom says:

Finally ignla on the right. I’d rather have him with sid

70. Eric Bowser says:

I would have preferred a lineup of…
    Dupuis – Crosby – Iginla
    Kunitz – Malkin – Neal
    Morrow – Jokinen – Bennett
    Cooke – Sutter – Kennedy
    Orpik – Martin
    Eaton – Letang
    Murray – Despres
    Vokoun
    Fleury

71. DJ says:

Never mind. Murray paired with Engelland again – slow and slower. We’ll see if that comes back to bite us.

72. Eric Bowser says:

Congrats Boston…. your flag is upside down…

Eaton seems to settle Letang down.

74. Davedigspenscuprun says:

Ran court couldn’t lick jimersons butt

75. Dom says:

We can’t afford to let up a goal early.

76. J Walter Weatherman says:

Completely agree with your preferred lineup.

………………………………………………………………………….

78. Dom says:

So much for that.

79. Eric Bowser says:

Bylsma – let’s play Letang-Nisky against the big line of Krejci, Horton and Lucic. Unreal Letang is abused.

80. DJ says:

Letang not stepping upon blue line O-zone, then we go other way, then Letang does not take puck carrier on his own side. Norris trophy anyone?

81. Dom says:

The pens are picking up where the pirates let off.

82. J Walter Weatherman says:

The mere fact that Niskanen is playing is damning evidence that Bylsma has given up. That he’s playing him with Letang is even further proof of that. How can anyone with a lick of hockey sense believe that is a good idea?

83. drwaido says:

these puck moving, no defense defensemen are killing us.

84. Sarah says:

Astonishing, really.

85. T.S. says:

Bylsma should be fired for his refusal to play Depres over Engelland, alone. What a waste of a great talent.

86. Sarah says:

Holy crap does Boston ever have some jump.

87. drwaido says:

We get the next one and just maybe…

88. T.S. says:

Hey, but at least he’s playing Bennett (finally) and keeping Fleury where he belongs: sitting on a folding chair.

89. J Walter Weatherman says:

Why are Boston fans booing Iginla? Don’t they realize they’re better off with Jagr?

90. drwaido says:

same game, different day….where are the Pens?

91. Tim says:

Did you see the goal. All Volcoum there.

92. drwaido says:

Julien would have used Iginla properly

93. Sherry says:

Bend but don’t break Pens – stay calm and focused, and patient.

94. Eric Bowser says:

Pens are totally out of it.

Not skating, can’t take a pass or control puck

Holy cow.

I can not believe I would ever see the day when all Boston had to do was just play keep away from the Pens, then just pounce on mistakes.

What did they discuss and practice on the off-day?

Dan Bylsma == great regular-season coach, bad playoff coach.
    Odd defensive pairing, misuse of Iginla, bad matchups……….

I want to believe, but he makes it difficult.
    They should be playing for their jobs, but it is hard to tell……….

96. Dom says:

They said it was deflected.

Hi Brandie.
    Just sitting here in the Pond, numb…………… :(

98. drwaido says:

next goal may decide this game

99. Dom says:

We’re on the power play. Boston is getting far better shots on goal. TV made some good saves.

100. Dom says:

4 on 4. I thought we were on the power play.

101. J Walter Weatherman says:

Good thing they played Vitale. Another guy to take dumb penalties.

102. drwaido says:

no pp…no discipline

Nope. Vitale blew it!

This team is mentally done!
    Calling Mr. Shero, calling Mr. Shero………………………..

104. Sherry says:

Orrrrrrr take a dumb ass penalty…

105. Sarah says:

Off Nisky. With Mr. Norris completely on the wrong side of the net.

106. drwaido says:

someone tell malkin that hooking isnt defense

107. drwaido says:

not sure he wants to answer

108. DJ says:

Vitale should have shown restraint, yes. But if Morrow walked away, there is no scrum, and there’s no second penalty. Morrow’s veteran leadership?

109. T.S. says:

What is f-ing wrong with VITALE?

110. J Walter Weatherman says:

Sorry, can’t blame Morrow on that one. All Vitale.

111. Brandie says:

:( but :) to hear from ewe.

112. DJ says:

Bruins taking tape-to-tape passes in rhythm and shooting in wheelhouses. We’re chipping 75% of our pucks at Rask.

113. Dom says:

We need to do better on the face offs and get some rebounds. Their goalie is covering everything knowing their success rate on the FOs

114. J Walter Weatherman says:

Shoot the puck.

115. DJ says:

Someone hand Kunitz a longer stick.

116. Sarah says:

Are you kidding me

117. drwaido says:

TV may have just saved the game

118. Dom says:

Big save by TV.

119. Lad9 says:

Sitter got undressed. Wow. TV saved his bacon

No excuse to be beaten to a loose puck, when 2 Penguins are the closest players.

Outhustled, outefforted.

Sickening display of hockey.

You too, girl.
    How have you been?

122. J Walter Weatherman says:

I wonder if anyone will tell Crosby during the intermission that the series started.

123. drwaido says:

wht has happened to this guy..he seems to have lost it

124. T.S. says:

Crosby is nowhere to be found. And I think we could be looking at a sweep.

125. J Walter Weatherman says:

Paul Martin is by far the best Penguin tonight. It looks like he actually cares about this game.

126. Lad9 says:

“Sutter”. Oops

127. Brandie says:

Jagr pulled Neal offside, no penalty called for hooking…Really?

128. T.S. says:

If Fleury is in there, we’re down 3 or 4 to nil. Nice kid, helped win a Cup, but his days in a Pens uniform should come to an end.

OK, I asked to see one more period. My conclusion ? We’re one goal away from the season being over.

130. drwaido says:

in fairness..kunitz should have scored off the crosby feed..but that’s about it

No problem. Just wait until Game Four.

132. Dom says:

I’m almost content goin into inpermission down 1-0 as it could have been much worse. Boston had the far better chances.

133. T.S. says:

As should Letang’s.

Sadly, Milo, that occurred 3 minutes in.

135. drwaido says:

I cant recall a team blocking more shots and passes

136. Sherry says:

It’s like the guys can’t be intense without being out of their mind stupid, so they are over compensating the other way. Not a lot of will being shown out there – have to start to wonder if they are as healthy as advertised.

And. That. First. Goal. Was. A. Killer.

137. Davedigspenscuprun says:

Stick a fork in this team. Can’t score. Can’t win.

138. DJ says:

Agreed. Kunitz has about 5 whiffs in 2 1/3 games (and 1 or 2 posts).

139. florida steeler says:

Lets face it–Boston is the better team in these three games and Julien is making Bylsma look like the a_ _ he is. This is what happens to “player coaches” after a few years. Players don’t listen or respond.
    Some blame goes to Mario for selecting “players coaches” and poor offensive defensemen. Did anyone watch Scuderi last night?? He was awesome.

140. Sherry says:

And Sid seems likes he’s out of gas – mentally more than physically. He’s been a liability – what is up with that?

What hurts the most, is that there seems to be no passion.
    I can accept a team beating the Pens.
    I cannot accept the out-working, out-hustling, out-everything.

Julien is so badly outcoaching Bylsma.

142. Dom says:

Vokoun is the least of our problems at the moment. We need the offense to step up.

143. Davedigspenscuprun says:

They’re playing hard tonight. Just not accurate enough and good enough finishing against a good goaltender. They won’t score in this game.

144. drwaido says:

well said..it is sad to see the opportunities wasted year after year

80′s Bears & Giants

90′S Jazz & Braves

00′s Phillies & USA Mens Hockey

Just a few great organizations that were great but could not win more than one or less (Jazz) championships.

146. Sherry says:

Silver lining – things WILL get fixed in the team, system and organization if the Pens get swept.

147. Davedigspenscuprun says:

They’ll get the next pp and score and that will be all she wrote.

Pens will lose their cool and play frustrated and stupid.

148. drwaido says:

I fear we are gonna be adding to that list

149. Sarah says:

I’m seriously worried something is wrong w Crosby. Hope he’s OK.

150. MadTurk says:

Hippo my friend, the players play the game not the coach. They need to step it up and play, bad passes, stupid penalties not shooting, is not on the coach. They are on the ice. They have to get their minds into the game and do what was taught and execute the game plan. Blame the coach if you want for the lines and defense pairing if you don’t like them. That would be your opinion just like anyone else’s. I am sure each of us would have different line-ups. It all comes down to the players playing and that is not happening.

151. J Walter Weatherman says:

I have a feeling that this period will decide the fate of this series.

Sherry,

Shero can trade, cut, sign all the players he wants……… if he doesnt get a new coach with a new system, he will get the same results.

If Bylsma wants to keep his job, Shero needs to tell him to get a new system, or else.

153. Dom says:

How many times are we going to wiff

154. drwaido says:

3rd pp…not gonna get the next call

He quit.

156. J Walter Weatherman says:

Can’t get any bounces.

Rask is NOT that good. We are just that bad

158. T.S. says:

Doubtful.

159. T.S. says:

Penguins best player tonight: Vokoun.

Cookie is good too.

161. Brandie says:

I like Sitter better. That’s what we call the Hipposter.

162. Davedigspenscuprun says:

Good pace

163. drwaido says:

He made some great saves on that last PP

164. DJ says:

Does anyone now think the score would not be 4-0 if Vokoun were not in net?

165. T.S. says:

At getting under people’s skin. But that doesn’t turn the red light on.

Not at all, watch him Dave. Just watch him. I’ve seen him standing around watching….just standing there. You can’t do that against this team.

167. Paperboy says:

Hi Jandy.

169. MadTurk says:

And this is the system that can score 5 or 6 goals in a game when the players feel lie playing?

170. T.S. says:

Without a doubt. If Fleury is in, the game is already over.

171. Tim says:

I think Dejan is wrong about Quick being only goalie left that can steal a series. Right now Rask is getting it done. Although our “superstars” are not very super

172. drwaido says:

OK..now let’s see what happens

finally

174. Dom says:

Koonitz

FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEED TO KEEP THIS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONCENTRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

176. J Walter Weatherman says:

I re-up my earlier post that Martin has been the best Penguin tonight.

Paul Martin did all the dirty work

178. T.S. says:

Nice goal, Kunny.

Now, no stupid penalties. The Bruins get the next PP.

180. Brandie says:

I could be better. Havin’ a bit of a sad time. Really blue. Personal stuff. Just gotta work through it. Hope u r OK my friend.

And what I have said all along………… get Rask moving and you can beat him.
    Cant beat him straight on.

182. Eric Bowser says:

Finally… great play by Martin.

Hipposter my friend :)

I am ok.
    I am a Hippo.

185. MadTurk says:

I would rather have TV in net but I still hold my breath on eveery scoring chance they get. I would hold it even more if MAF was in. Nerves I guess….

186. Brandie says:

Kunitz love!

187. Dom says:

Yeah, because we would have had the game in hand.

188. Sarah says:

Fantastic.
    Next goal is huge…..

Watch him TS he does a lot of work to free others…gotta have that too

See? You come in, they score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

191. drwaido says:

they’re gonna get one..pens gotta kill it

192. Tim says:

I think we should stop talking about Shero being untouchable. He’s assembled this team of “superstars” that are largely invisible when it counts.

Rask is good, not that good.

194. Dom says:

Now we got to go on the power kill.

195. T.S. says:

Jinx.

196. drwaido says:

seriously…too many men on ice..another Penguin boneheaded play

197. J Walter Weatherman says:

Well, that was the definition of stupid penalty. Bylsma calmly takes a sip of water. Nothing to see here … move along …

198. Brandie says:

We must focus power!

199. MadTurk says:

A short handed goal right here would be nice!

:) I’ve been watching from puck drop tho…I’m so frustrated

201. Tim says:

Ok. Now they can’t even count to 5. Can’t afford stupid mental mistakes at this point.

good one, dom :)

The Bruins taking them is OK.

204. Davedigspenscuprun says:

The last pp we didn’t score but made it crazy and drew Boston into a frantic game temporarily losing their fundamental edge.

205. DJ says:

Same here. . . lot of loose change laying around. Not sayin’ he’s perfect, just our best option right now.

you’ll turn blue lol

207. Brandie says:

Nice result.

208. Dom says:

Whoa! We’re on the power play?

209. J Walter Weatherman says:

Commentators completely screwed up that penalty call.

We all are!

211. Brandie says:

You are one tough Hombre…er Hippo!

and our PP sucks

213. J Walter Weatherman says:

Can’t score if you don’t shoot.

214. MadTurk says:

WOW I thought we were caught with to many men onthe ice?

215. T.S. says:

Horrible horrible. Essentially a two-man advantage with the guy limping, and the Pens are like deer in headlights. Ughhhh.

An Hombre Hippo. :)

217. Dom says:

0-4 on the Power play

218. drwaido says:

letang has gotta go.he is god awful

219. Tim says:

Great PP 5 on 3 for a minute. Cindy and 71 are so small when it counts

When facing good opponents in the playoffs, they cant do it.
    Havent done it for 4 years now.

221. T.S. says:

Vokoun sparkling. Reason Pens have a shot in this game.

222. drwaido says:

we do have 5 guys on the ice..right?

223. MadTurk says:

Penguin blue?

224. Dom says:

Vokoun is the wall.

225. J Walter Weatherman says:

I think the Pens need a triple TO to catch their breath after that shift.

Good guys win, book it

227. Brandie says:

I like Cookies…Mmmmmm. Good!

You say CIndy ONE MORE TIME Tim….Grrrr! What’s wrong with you???

that’s disgusting from a Pens fan

230. MadTurk says:

I must have missed the islanders?

231. Tim says:

Dominating in face offs PP chances shots chances and only tied. No chance this goes past 5 games.

232. MadTurk says:

or that team up north

Neal being a bull I like it

AND, I think Sid has come out of his trance…he’s skating again.

235. Sarah says:

Incredible turnaround on faceoffs, ESP for Sid. Wow.

236. Tim says:

Until Cindy makes some plays and quits whining like a little girl taking shots at Rask between periods. She’s Cindy.

Hey Brandie, how’s it going girl?

238. Davedigspenscuprun says:

They don’t have as much traffic in front of Rask. But we need the next one soon while the momentum is about even

239. MadTurk says:

I smell a bean town fan?

240. drwaido says:

not a moment too soon

:yawn:

you seem to be the loser here

Fortunate to beat the Islanders.
    They did look good against Ottawa.

Please refresh my memory……. when was the last time they reached the Cup Finals, or won it?

I must have missed that.

Get the 9 wides ready. ;)

244. J Walter Weatherman says:

Bennett has played well.

it’s like he just woke up…weird but I’m happy

Did you call? ;)

247. MadTurk says:

you said the playoffs…

indeed

Hipposter, it’s clear Miss Tim is the one…not you silly

Amen!

251. Tim says:

How do you go from 33 to 73 in face offs in the span of 4 days.

252. MadTurk says:

all I am saying is we have a system that alows the players to score many goals when tey play it right. Trouble is they have not and looked sloppy in the first 2 games.

253. drwaido says:

missing J Staal. he is a playoff performer

yup…little wuss with no nads

lol

256. Dom says:

Tripping. This is not good.

257. Tim says:

Well. At least now we know Iginlia has in fact dressed for tonites game

Mr. Turk…………

2010 — eliminated in the second round by the 8th seed.
    2011 — eliminated in the first round by the 6th seed.
    2012 — eliminated in the first round again, by the 5th seed.

How is my statement untrue? They have failed yearly since ’09. Look, I am a huge fan, but I am just stating truth here. Sorry if it offends you. This team is built for Cup runs, not 1st round exits.

just wow

Ok. Just checking.

Vokoun is the reason we are in this game.
    Very good game by him.

261. Dom says:

We escaped the period.

Think I need to see another period.

263. MadTurk says:

When someones hole is that large you made need a hippo size foot to do the job. You game (no pun intended)?

yup lol

265. DJ says:

Yeah, and the first time he raced for a loose puck.

266. MadTurk says:

don’t beleive his team mad the playoffs?

267. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

Put in MAF or stick with Vokoun? haha

268. DJ says:

6-1 now if not for Vokoun.

LOL!

he’s standing tall

they did not

me too.

273. MadTurk says:

Will do Dan o

274. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

Actually good that the penalty at that time bridging the second and third period.

If they were going to get one which they were due that’s not a bad time if the Pens kill off the rest of the time.

275. Brandie says:

Lord…getting schmutzy in here.

So…looks like Geno knocked Campbell out of the game eh

Good Lord………….. that would kill him!
    And you couldnt afford my bail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

278. MadTurk says:

:-) how would .. nah nevermind some things are left better unsaid.

279. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

They were cycling and had the puck in the zone most of the time. At least we get the new faceoff at center ice.

He is Hippo sized tonight! :)

I want to see at least 10 more periods !!!!!!!

282. Brandie says:

What can ewe say…Hippo is our enforcer!

283. Sherry says:

Me three.

I am game.
    I feel a squish job here……………..

285. MadTurk says:

You don’t offend me at all we were talking goals in playoff games not how the series turned out. Unfortunately we all know how the last few years have gone.

286. Brandie says:

Could be better, could be worse. Got lots of work to do to make it better, uphill fight. Hope all is/well with you, my blog mama.

287. MadTurk says:

Yes sitting on her may be safer. Let the squishing begin.

Keep on keepin’ on, girl, things will improve :)

They need to take one shift at a time in the 3rd period.

One shift at a time.

292. MadTurk says:

Glad you can read my Jandy diseased typing :-0

293. J Walter Weatherman says:

This is going to be a pretty intense period. Kind of a lot riding on it.

I have no ill will for the kid, he’s an honest hockey player. But his dad is a putz.

+1 lol

296. Sherry says:

One shift at a time, play with focus, composure and will.

:P educated guess

298. MadTurk says:

I thought that TV show was One Day at a Time?

299. DJ says:

Got to get the lead . . . just once.

hey now, I resemble that remark :P

301. KenKopp says:

QUIT! GO WATCH THE THIRD PERIOD. Root like heck. One sentence blogs in the minds’t of the game? Common Lunnies. Before this blogging thing started we watched the game and talked about it after. Go give some positive vibes to our guys.

Heck, do what you want. I’m going back out and digging in for the third and believing this is going to be a series changing period. I’ve got my lucky shirt on, in my lucky seat with my black and gold dogs laying close. Hope to scare the heck out of ‘em a few times this period when I go nuts when we score.

GO PENS!

302. MadTurk says:

and hold it

Colin Hole Campbell

304. drwaido says:

nice penalty kill

305. MadTurk says:

I stated reading and posting because the last few games I didn’t they lost badly. One I started they scored. I am stayig and reading and posting till they win this game. Hopefully this is a fast period for I do have to go out in about 40 minutes.

: groan :

friggin Marchand

308. Dom says:

Off the post again!

then he acts like he’s the victim…friggin ahole

Besides, if I dont do this, I have to go back to the Pond, and the reception isnt good there. ;)

312. Dom says:

And again!

313. cosmo says:

how many posts are they going to hit?

I might have to eat my words. Rask is looking good tonight…better than the first two games

lol

316. Kevin says:

right? need to score on one of those. marchand be damned.

317. Tim says:

If tim Thomas comes outta retirement sign Rask

318. Brandie says:

Don’t leave…please stay…such a friendly Hippo.

319. MadTurk says:

Looks like the goons are getting a little upset out there. This could be good for us.

320. Dom says:

It’s surprising the goal is still standing.

as long as WE keep our cool

Paul Martin continues to amaze

Brandie, I cant leave.
    Better reception here. :)

324. MadTurk says:

Indeed

Tim Thomas is on the Islanders.

what she said

328. MadTurk says:

Best game of his in the playoffs so far I think.

yup

330. Kevin says:

to hockeymonster chagrin no doubt…

I feel loved………………. :*

332. MadTurk says:

What the heck, what was the penalty?

333. Sarah says:

Pinch get caught interfere ugh

I sure didn’t catch it

335. Kevin says:

^- disagree with that call.. :|

336. cosmo says:

I thought they traded his rights.

337. drwaido says:

malkin?

tough :)

This PK is HUGE …………

340. drwaido says:

crankshaft got corkscrewed..

341. drwaido says:

terrible call..embarrassing

342. MadTurk says:

Wow what a bad call at thi point in the game. sad sad sad

343. cosmo says:

how was that slashing ?

344. drwaido says:

BS even up call

345. MadTurk says:

now would be a nice time for that shorthanded goal

friggin dorktards

I’m getting a feeling that Kris Letang is about to do something spectacular.

348. MadTurk says:

very ticky tacky

would have been

350. Tim says:

Never mind then

351. CeeHowUR says:

At the beginning of this series the Pens said they have to win 8 more. Who knew they meant “in a row”.

He’s been on eh?

353. MadTurk says:

He needs to make up for a lot in this series.

LOL

Doc emrick is losing his mind lol

so does a few other stars

Remember the 3rd period in that game after the bombing ?

358. MadTurk says:

we would have more goals then needed for the rest of the series if that happens.

359. MadTurk says:

Oh gee another one

360. Dom says:

Another penalty

Excellent play there.

Refs with another bad penalty.

362. Tim says:

What crap. Bodies flying everywhere and they decide to finally call the 4 th penalty.

Broons getting another PP sheesh

364. DJ says:

Terrible call. Fall down and throw your leg in the air.

365. florida steeler says:

good job Dupuis–you moron

366. MadTurk says:

Hopefully we get the next PP. Wow what calls here late in the game.

something specific Milo?

Duper can’t do that…stupid

369. Sarah says:

Embellish much?

370. J Walter Weatherman says:

You knew this was coming. Pens got the calls early in the game.

371. Kevin says:

bennett’s hurt?

372. Kevin says:

could definitely use a duper shortie right here

true

He scored a big goal, maybe even the winner after he had a rough time earlier in the game. Let’s put it this way, if the Pens win he’s going to be in the middle of it.

he is?

376. Kevin says:

omg I thought Cookie would run over Rask… anyone else feel the same?

377. MadTurk says:

I heard that too bad he was playing well.

nice kill

379. MadTurk says:

Cookie playing like he wants to win the game. Good to see someone doing it.

380. Kevin says:

Pierre just made a point of showing the crankshaft hit on Lucic and said he caught Bennett… and he’s been on the bench since that point. I dunno.

that ref needs to get his carcass out of the way

Is that 7 posts tonight?????????????????????????????????????

383. MadTurk says:

RIP

384. Kevin says:

another fucking post :(

385. cosmo says:

another post

Lol, Hippo carcass.

387. Dom says:

We’re at OT. Next goal wins

C’mon Pens, end this in regulation!

All these posts, I hope Big Ben’s not striking midnight.

390. Dom says:

Language!

Doubtful.
    He had surgery today.

392. Kevin says:

he had minor knee surgery by the way.

ROFL!!!!!!!

394. Sarah says:

Incredible what’s the series count for Rask posts now??

395. Kevin says:

ya I’m an idiot. thought this blog had filters :\.. I apologize to all children and other short people. :(

396. J Walter Weatherman says:

Malkin with a number of great chances tonight. Just missing them. Good effort from him though.

Gene Hart ?

398. Paperboy says:

Engelland playing a strong game

:thwap:

400. Kevin says:

which by the way.. when is knee surgery minor?

401. Dom says:

What’s so funny?

402. MadTurk says:

Wow so close yet so far.

403. Kevin says:

Rask is pulling these Malkin saves out of his bum.

Hippos are short…………………

405. Sarah says:

When do we get our first bounce of this series?

now

407. Dom says:

16 seconds with a face off in Boston’s end.

408. Kevin says:

oh come on.. if there was any time to pull a Malkin-f/o-Neal goal.

He had Meniscus surgery today.
    Never minor.

my nerves are shot

411. MadTurk says:

Yikes hope to be back for the rest of the game.

412. J Walter Weatherman says:

The most frustrating thing about this game is that it’s hard to figure out why the Pens couldn’t play like this in the first 2 games. Now a bad bounce of the puck essentially ends the season. Should never have gotten to this point.

413. cosmo says:

how many rebound opportunities have bounced over/by/around sticks in this series.
    Rask seems to give up some juicy rebounds.

414. Eric Bowser says:

I hate OT…. hate it.

Pens much better in 2nd and 3rd pd, 39 shots in regulation and just 1 goal to show for it.

415. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

Like we’re not going to lose this one haha

416. Rob says:

agreed, but we score and its a whole ballgame, I mean…..we’re right back in it and pressure on the bean boys :-)

417. DJ says:

Can’t stomach seeing Boston go delirious again . . . c’mon boys.

418. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

actually just played a live online bet

$50 on Bruins scoring in OT

either Pens win and I’m happy season is not over

or Pens lose but I’m up $50

419. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Misskanen is awful. Maybe worse than Tyler Kennedy. Does Crosby know what a shot is?

PK looking good. Real good.

Pens: Letang
    Bruins: Marchand

and 7 posts

Pivotal

423. cosmo says:

Neal

424. DJ says:

Let’s hope we don’t see it again in OT.

425. Dom says:

I’ll go with Geno for the pens.

426. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I have no booze. This sucks.

427. Kevin says:

No, not Marchand, I will throw my remote if its Marchand. It’s going to be some stupid 4th liner if its Boston on a wickedly weird bounce or rebound. Still hoping Crosby finds the net behind Raskul.

Duper or Sutter

429. DJ says:

Martin, only because he deserves it and I doubt Vokoun would be able to get it on net.

430. Brad, Indiana PA says:

WHOSE that?

Wine here

432. Tim says:

No matter the finish. 9 periods 2 goals. Zero points for the 2 9 million dollar “superstars”. No excuses. They’ve gotta get it done. Period

433. Kevin says:

Although, they do say.. those who can’t do, teach.. so maybe in hockey its.. those who can’t score, assist? D:

434. Kevin says:

if only 9 mil dollars could move Malkin’s shot off the left post an inch to the right.

Bucci himself picked Crosby & Marchand.

436. Kevin says:

switched to water… it might be long night :\

Bucci Schnucci

438. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’m not whining!

Oh man. I should be in bed.

:thwap:

440. Eric Bowser says:

Pens are now 9 periods into this series and have an amazing…. 2 goals.

That 3rd goal would look huge right now.

Will not miss a lot of these ads once the playoffs end. I’ve seen some of them a million times. Still don’t know what that Cuba Libre thing is.

me too. 4am wake up

Lucic should be tossed

444. Kevin says:

looocheech :|

amen OshKosh

If that was Cooke instigating, he would be suspended…………

447. Kevin says:

holy hanzel wtf happened there.

Oh. My. God

Vooooo!!!!!

450. Kevin says:

who’s that in your avatar, oshkosh? Kinda looks like abe vigoda

451. Sarah says:

How does that happen? TG for TV!

452. florida steeler says:

Letang is AWFUL

453. MadTurk says:

Backkkk now let’s win ths game so I can go to bed.

Horrible turnover!

455. Kevin says:

Horton looks awesome. ringing post aside. He looks like he wants to score the gw.

Bennett on the ice

457. Sarah says:

Well there’s our lucky bounce…..

458. MadTurk says:

YESSSSS now score and get it over

459. Kevin says:

We desperately need to break our scoreless pp streak right now.

460. J Walter Weatherman says:

Good penalty call. Crazy period so far. Mostly Bruins, but I gotta a feeling here …

461. MadTurk says:

We are looking slow to the loose pucks. Come on boys step it up and get it over.

most of them are gassed

463. Sarah says:

So frustrating

464. MadTurk says:

Gee even Crosby stands and watches as they are fighting for the loose puck.

465. J Walter Weatherman says:

Iginla needs to be on the point

466. Kevin says:

omfg bennett with the toe drag. thought he had it :|

467. Sarah says:

The space were allowing in our own zone is terrifying

468. Dom says:

My nerves are on edge

My cardiologist warned me.

470. MadTurk says:

ah crap

here we go

I think I need to double my heart meds tonight………..

473. Sarah says:

Unbelievable

474. Kevin says:

come on PK

475. MadTurk says:

short short short handed goal please

It is.

477. Kevin says:

wtf cray-chee had open net, didnt shoot.

they’re killin me

I friggin HATE Marchand

480. Sarah says:

TV looks gassed

481. Kevin says:

duper had that, right?

At least it wasn’t Say-gaaaaaaa.

they all do

he thinks he did

485. Sarah says:

When was the last time we won a faceoff?

friggin refs

Voooooooo!!!!!

488. DJ says:

Letang, no concept penalty expired. Clueless.

489. MadTurk says:

Come we need a faceoff win here

490. Kevin says:

have we even won one faceoff in OT?

491. MadTurk says:

any kind of win would do

are you kidding me

493. Dom says:

Looks like we’re slowing down.

494. Kevin says:

*ugh* great shot by duper and better rebound.. just couldnt finish.

Now Lucis is the ahole

496. Kevin says:

absolutely love that hit by Engellend on looocheech.

497. Kevin says:

eventhough it did take out Vokoun at the same time :\

498. Sarah says:

WTH happened? We dominated the third period and now were getting killed.

499. Dom says:

Pens are happy to take icing on that one.

500. Sarah says:

ANOTHER faceoff loss. WTF?

Night of the skating dead.

502. Kevin says:

Jagr just got shafted twice.

503. cosmo says:

too much time in own end

504. Dom says:

This doesn’t look good.

lol

506. J Walter Weatherman says:

This is not good

507. Kevin says:

no way geno.

Unreal.

509. MadTurk says:

now it got worse

510. J Walter Weatherman says:

You’ve got to be kidding me. The Pens with an utter fail this entire OT period at getting puck out of own end … culminating in that. I smell doom

here we go…again

512. cosmo says:

nice flip Geno

Am I the only one that thinks they’ve missed their chance ?

514. Sarah says:

Unbelievabe

515. Kevin says:

bruins already have momentum and now they have pp.. need a gigantic pk. hope to go to OT2.

Bogus penalty. Change the rule!

517. Kevin says:

nope.. which chance? there’s been +many.

518. Sarah says:

No I agree.
    They’ve been shite since they missed their PP earlier in the period.

Lordie I’m agitated

520. MadTurk says:

Feed them some pizza during the break

I’m going up to bed to watch it. Catch you loonies in the morning.
    :sending good vibes:

522. Kevin says:

And this right here.. is why I hate 8pm game start-times. Go frog yourselves, NHL.

A Nun agitated?

Ruh Roh !!!!

524. Dom says:

Now that’s what I call getting saved by the bell.

Night Jandy.

Dream us a win.

526. T.S. says:

If Pens win this game, Vokoun should unquestionably be in net the rest of the way. Fleury should not see the net, barring a Clint Malarchuk incident. Just my opinion.

527. MadTurk says:

I’m done need to go in the other room for the finish of the game. Carry it on and bring it home people.

528. Kevin says:

oh and go flower yourselves too NBC and Mike Milberry.

529. Davedigspenscuprun says:

Rask greatest goalie ever

530. DJ says:

He should be in goal even if they lose the game.

So do the Pirates have a basehit yet ?

532. Karen22 says:

Just one, and that’s all the Pens have, too.

533. Kevin says:

he’s certainly done a good job getting his body and posts in the way of the puck. if that makes him the best goalie ever? nope. I don’t even think he’s the best goalie in this playoffs.

534. Davedigspenscuprun says:

Best chance to score for Pens…nobody

They won’t

535. Kevin says:

whats the baseball analogy to a hit post? actually I guess its equivalent to any near miss homerun (just foul). Cuz if a baseball hits off a post, its still a homerun, right?

536. Kevin says:

I’ve decided I don’t like your postings, Dave. Why don’t you chill out a bit? Take a couple deep breaths. Maybe splash a lil ice water into your eyes. All it takes is one good shot and this games over.

537. Dom says:

TV is needed to make too many good saves.

538. Dom says:

Too many men for Boston.

Oops. It’s time.

540. Kevin says:

Claude is pissed. Please please lets take advantage of this chance here.

Clode.

542. Kevin says:

Come on Malkin.. bury one of those.

543. Kevin says:

come on pens! does orpik know where he is right now??

544. Kevin says:

another post. totally unbelievable.

Wow. Game for the ages.

546. Ed says:

Man, 53 shots on goal and only one goal for the Pens. They gotta get some people in front of the net for those rebounds.

Pens spent a long time in the huddle. I’m smelling a gadget play.

548. Ed says:

Pens coming on strong!

549. Kevin says:

wow. Crosby lidless rage mode.

550. Dom says:

Seasons over

Are you kidding me?

Great effort tonight.

But it just isnt meant to be.

552. J Walter Weatherman says:

And it’s Jagr who makes the big play. Of course. Great game at least.

553. Ed says:

Well, it’s over now.

554. Kevin says:

dammitall.. I think thats it. I don’t think the penguins could have fought any harder. Vokoun made the saves he shouldn’t have made just to give us a chance.

555. Ed says:

Say what you will about Jagr. Guy’s still a beast at 41.

556. CWalton_67 says:

You are watching the greatest choke in major league sports history.

557. florida steeler says:

What a bunch of phonies. Fire Bylsma.

558. DJ says:

Engelland makes a blind back pass to center ice. Why? Because no ability to skate and control the puck, turn, and then make a clean pass. Picked off, goes the other way, game time.

Next year everyone will be wondering why we were not playing Depres. Question will be whether HCDB will be wondering the same thing as ex-coach.

Good Night everyone.

The Penguin team you saw tonight will be completely torn up.

The HC, and about 9 or 10 players need to go.
    Mr Shero will be very busy this offseason.

560. Dom says:

No way. What about the 2007 patriots.

561. florida steeler says:

And, Shero better do a better job than getting the old, slow men he picked up this year.

562. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Well that couldn’t have sucked much worse.

563. DJ says:

. . . incidentally, liked all of Bylsma’s other moves tonight except the one not made: Depres for Engelland. (See post at 8:04).

564. Kevin says:

They could have lost 6-1 again and got laughed out of the building. Atleast they fought for it. That was easily the penguins best game of the series all around. If I’m the only one in this room that still believes they can come back, so be it.

565. J Walter Weatherman says:

All the “fire Bylsma” people will get their wish. Take it to the bank. He is gone. The series was lost in the first 2 games and there were some highly questionable coaching decisions made in those games. Pens went all in and are all out.

With the turnover expected on this team over the next couple of years, I have to wonder how much patience the fans will have with it. Wouldn’t surprise me to see attendance and ratings start going down. Also, fans can only take so much of underperforming teams.

566. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Not the game. Just the result.

567. Kevin says:

Bylsma’s not leaving. He’ll be here for the next 3 years easy. Even with all the changes. Even if they have a losing record next season.

568. Brad, Indiana PA says:

He’s still a tool. But yeah he’s still got skill.

569. J Walter Weatherman says:

I have a lot of respect for Jagr. Think he gets a bum rap in Pittsburgh for all the good times he gave us. Just funny that the guy who the B’s “settled” on after Iginla has been head and shoulders better than Iginla during the whole playoffs.

570. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I hope not. If he stays we might as well re-sign Tyler Kennedy. THAT worked out.

571. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Tuukka Rask….The greatest goalie that ever lived!….This week.

572. Kevin says:

I’m more interested in what will become of Fleury. He has a better chance of not being a penguin next year than Bylsma imo.

573. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I think he gets a fair rap for all the lousy behavior. Cant disagree with the Iginla point though.

574. J Walter Weatherman says:

Nope. You don’t lose 4 consecutive years in the playoffs to lower seeds, including an “all in” year and keep your job. Not if the ownership has any sense and pride.

575. J Walter Weatherman says:

I agree that Fleury is definitely gone. If you can’t trust him in the playoffs, why is he on the team?

576. DJ says:

Gone: Kennedy, Iginla, Morrow, Murray, Letang (wishful thinking).

Hoping signed: Cooke – Dupuis (both 2 years), Malkin

577. DJ says:

Oh yeah, and Fleury (Gone)

578. Kevin says:

Wish I could stay up and catch DK column. Too tired… looking forward to reading what you sleepless bums put in the blog tomorrow morning.

579. DJ says:

Knew about Morrow and Murray and so wasn’t surprised by what we were getting speed and skating-wise. But hadn’t seen Iggy for several years though. Was surprised his speed dropped off so drastically.

580. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

This is one of the biggest chokes ever.

Playing hard doesn’t cut it. Pens had the best record by far and they were the consenus favorite. About to get swept.

Just an awful job by the Penguins and everyone associated with the organization.

581. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

Bylsma gone easily.

But even worse, how do you even take this team seriously? All the excitement generated during the season…all the goals and points…nothing but a big fraud.

582. Sherry says:

You know, we hit what 6, 7 posts, and 3 or 4 in Game 1? We had NO puck luck in all 3 games and the Bruins got a lot (not to mention some suspect officiating that didn’t go the Pens way). It really seems like advancing isn’t meant to be for the Pens this year, for reasons unknown.

And the Bruins have played well and are well coached, and Rask has been on his head. That along with the Pens self-inflicted wounds looks to be too much to overcome this year. Lessons learned, again.

At least the boys put up one hell of a fight tonight, and can hold their heads up. And, in Ray we, ok I, trust. I know that once this is over there will be a lot of thought (once the initial emotions are past) about how to proceed moving forward, and I still believe that the organization will find the right path. And next season, there will be no lockout and hopefully we’ll have healthy, motivated players, and a good coach (who I still believe can be Dan) and it will be the Pens time again.

583. danch70 says:

Sad, sad night. I thought they had enough mojo to get this game won. Would’ve changed the series.

Couldn’t catch a break. How many posts? No off-defensemen-redirections in to the net? Of course, not many rebounds either. Their one goal had to be perfect in every respect.

They played a tough game, but give it up to the Bruins, they did, too. Vokoun was outstanding. So was Rask. But, not many rebound chances or clean passes through the crease for the Pens.

I’ve been hard on Letang and I was even asking for his immediate retirement sometime in the first period. But, once he committed to a defense first game, he was very, very good.

Seems like the series is over. But they did outplay the Bruins tonight in the 3 periods (not in the overtimes). Maybe they can mount a miracle. Best game of the series for them. As long as they are still skating they can win. Likely, hardly. One shift at a time.

584. DaveDigsPensCupRun says:

They made a lot of moves this year to improve the team. This was the most talented team in the conference. No. 1 seed. It’ll be the same story next season. Great regular season. Crosby and Malkin scoring a bunch and then flopping when it matters most.

585. danch70 says:

Yes, I normally don’t come down on the refs upon reflection but this game was simply silly. Murray’s penalty? Cooke’s penalty? It was simply egregious. But, while the Pens PK was terrific their PP was a no show, yet again. Twice they essentially had a five on three and could only muster 1 shot. Pathetic.

Martin and Iginla on the points. Period.

586. danch70 says:

He was terrific. But most of his saves were straight shots. No cross ice one timers, no rebounds. Mainly shot-save-rebound cleared.

587. danch70 says:

Unless Bylsma realizes that run and gun does not work in the playoffs. He must realize that defense first. Gritty, sandpaper hockey wins playoff games.

588. War Horse says:

Please add Haslemere, United Kingdom.

589. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I would agree.
    But it’s just incredible how this guy has excellerated his game in the past week.

590. DJ says:

Saw the OT goal again on YouTube. Started with the horrible blind pass back to blue line by Engelland that is immediately turned over, but how does Orpik not prevent giving inside position to Bergeron for the redirection? Equally horrible. Small fundamentals, but always game-turners.

591. Sherry says:

Exactly, the playoffs are different – and I think the worst transgression is the inability of the coaches and players to get, that, thru, their heads. They truly are a stubborn lot.

Yes Ray stacked the team, but you don’t win on paper and in the end Iginla looks slow, Murray is one dimensional, and Morrow and Jokinen have had limited impact in the post season. I think what the Pens really need is one effing season without major upheaval or injury to their stars and to enjoy some cohesiveness over a season. Talent, system, chemistry, heart – it really helps if all those things are established when going into the post season.

592. DJ says:

DK: Bruins played a sound game and Rask was especially terrific but it’s really a stretch to laud Jagr’s hooking (not called) as the start of a great play by him — hardly.

All I saw was Engelland sending a blind pass back to the blue line under minor pressure from Marchand, followed by a turnover, a hook, a wave of a stick by an out-of-position Engelland on Marchand, and then Orpik failing to take away inside position on Bergeron to prevent a redirection.

I also thought that Malkin (all game) and Sid (mid-Period 2 on) gave great efforts, as well as Martin, Cooke and Vokoun. Sure Sid and Geno did not score, but sometimes others have to step up.

593. lupesanchez says:

Disco Dan did what he had to to maybe save his job tonight. Think he will still get fired though; not prepared enough, and game three is too little too late.

Shame. Showed some grit tonight. A few inches, this series is a series again.

Welp, anything can happen.

594. DJ says:

. . . and yeah, it’s still unthinkable the Pens would ever part ways with either Sid or Geno. Letang, I’m sorry to say, is a different story. I used to love him but now he has to go for the good of the reconstituted team.

595. Danch70 says:

Ouch … DK making the comparison between penguins greatness past and penguins greatness (or not) present. He rightly called out Crosby for being nothing more than pedestrian this game. When was the greatest player in the world ever pedestrian at these critical mpments? Last year about this time. Before that? Jagr, Lemieux, Gretzky, bossy, Orr, Richard … All played big at big times. That what makes them great.

596. Danch70 says:

I expected one seeing eye goal with so many shots. But he’s been focused. Vokoun too. No weak goals.

597. DJ says:

. . . maybe Sid and Geno should be striving to circumvent the rules so their greatness will become firmly established.

598. Tim says:

what a bummer. that was one hell of a game. they fought like beasts. i can’t believe they only score one goal. malkin played another outstanding game. not to be a bad loser, but man the officiating has sucked this whole series. jagr hooked malkin on that last play, but he’s right, you can’t make that call. they gave it their all. I’m stunned they have two goals. Damn.

599. Sherry says:

Still expect that Sid will be great when it counts, and Geno too. And Letang. They are all young and will have to develop the maturity and “craftiness” that can be the difference in the playoffs. It’s a diff game now from when “greatness past” played it too. They’ll learn what it takes.

600. Tim says:

Dave, don’t bother, its average.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle