On location: Pirates 8, Giants 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (37-26) vs. San Francicso Giants (33-29)

Starters: RHP Gerrit Cole vs. RHP Tim Lincecum

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Neil Walker, 2B
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Cole, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the beat. I’m here, too, for the Wednesday column.

UPDATE 3:26 p.m.: Wandy Rodriguez to 15-day disabled list with left forearm tightness, retroactive to June 6. That clears space for Cole to be selected.

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

TUESDAY OVER/UNDER LINE

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Tonight’s Line
    Total Combined STRIKEOUTS + WALKS Issued by Gerrit Cole in tonight’s Game
    Line is 8.5

2. Dom says:

Good Luck Gerrit Cole!

3. Dom says:

100 OVER!

4. pattonbb says:

100 on the OVER!!!

Thanks, as always.

5. Man, has Neil Walker fallen! Batting just ahead of Barmes!

6. tdb1977 says:

100 on the over! 9 K’s along tonight!

7. tdb1977 says:

I am excited about going to tonight’s game. I’ve never been to a game where the top prospect is making is debut. Win or lose tonight – this is still going to be a special night. Good luck Gerrit and welcome to The Show!

8. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

My house loves this series!!!

I’ve already gotten “Pirates Suck” texts….(from friends, not my house)

9. pattonbb says:

GI Jones only has 3 career hits against Lincecum, but 2 of them landed over the fence.

Better not get the ball up tonight, Timmy…..

10. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Also looks like Pablo Sandoval will be put on the DL for the Giants. One less bat to worry about in this line up.

11. tdb1977 says:

Guess I need to go and make a change to my fantasy team since he is my starting 3B.

How demoralizing! If Neil plans on scoring a run tonight, he better hope Gerrit has hitting shoes on. But, I will say I’m ok with Barmes at SS with the young guy pitching.

100 nuke nuggets on the UNDAH

(change in strategy, am going go opposite to what I think will happen)

Thanks, Playoffs

14. Against a righty, yet.

We need Lunch buckets bat to heat up, what’s he batting 230something?

Nor Cal:

Which stadium do you prefer? I’ve never been to SF since the ‘Stick days. I once saw Barry Bonds take one to the upper tank there.

I’m jealous of anyone going tonight. What a great atmosphere.

18. Lad9 says:

Will take the over for 100 please Playoffs. Thank you sir. Wish I could be there tonight, but may this be the beginning of a long and successful career for our newest swashbuckler, Gerrit Cole. Go Buccos!!!!

19. KJX says:

100 OVER

20. Dave G says:

Must-see game tonight!

The future is *now*.

21. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may I have 50 Cole’s law on a sammich on the UNDER?

22. bman says:

@ playoffs

75 on the UNDER please

Hurdle: I’m NOT paying attention to number of pitches anymore.

Me: Sure you’re not.

24. blazer says:

Wish I could be there but will have the DVR on recording so I can see it as soon as I get home tonight.

On that note I will take the over for 100 Playoffs!

25. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Never been to the ‘Stick. Absolutely love AT&T though.

Wife hated Candlestick though…

26. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Might be a good idea

27. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Yup, that might be heated up for him though.

28. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Ug…tough one, but WTH, 100 on the over.

Updated list?

I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear. Do you prefer AT&T to PNC?

I’m feeling 2/3 homers off Cousin It tonight. Oh, wait. He cut his hair, didn’t he? I’m feeling 2/3 homers off Lincecum tonight. I think GIJ, for sure. Walker or Pedro feel like candidates as well. Cutch is due as well. Got cheated out of one with the wind blowing straight in at Wrigley on Sat.

31. Bob Hasis says:

Hurdle: I don’t care what you and that blog says, I’m starting Barmes

Me: . . . . . . (expletive). . . . . .!

Gotta work after taking the daughter to swim lessons.

Will be relying on the blog tonight to keep me informed! Looking for the usual good insight!

Let’s Go Bucs !

Gotta get in on the first ever line on Cole:

50/Over please.

34. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

OHHHHHHH yea…they are very “same but different” ball parks, but my love for my hometown will always prevail.

They are by far, my 2 favorite.

35. cmat0829 says:

100 over please

36. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

“informed” will be relative………

37. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

because the alternatives are far superior.

You wanna watch a real SS play, keep your eye on Brandon Crawford tonight.

Sometimes its kind of fun to look at the blog after the game is over. Amazingly, you often get a decent feel for how the game went and what were the key moments.

When I hear comparisons of the best ballparks, those 2 invariably come up on everyone’s list. PNC usually seems to win out, but AT&T has its share of supporters. I have to get there sometime in my travels.

Actually, .195 for the last 28 days according to Smiz.

41. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

the only downfall to AT&T is the weather. Now, I can get out of 100 degree in a matter of 2 hours (or less) I’m cool with, but when the fog rolls in and the seagulls start swarming, its a little annoying.

Its just such an awesome atmosphere. Sold out EVERY single night, regardless of what else is going on in town.

50 OVER, please.

So true. I love when an unlikely hero comes through for the Bucs a few innings after everyone ripped him on his previous at bat. Just shows, you never know with baseball.

44. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I pay no attention to what Smiz has to say………

45. Bob Hasis says:

Oh yes I know what they look like and how they play the position, but on a semi-regular basis I am force fed the other kind – LIKE TONIGHT

46. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Oh its hilarious. One AB someone needs to be sent down to the minors, released, or traded and the next he’s a hero.

So emotional, this here blog is.

47. JD says:

100 over please. Go Cole! Go Bucs!

48. Lad9 says:

Kids got a glove, doesn’t he? Nice fielder and the bat has really picked up this year.

Been to a lot of ballgames in my time. Have not seen many historical moments or oddities. I did see Crawford hit a grand slam in his first major league game at Milwaukee.

Giants do not have any issues at shortstop.

50. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Crawford is above and beyond what typical SS’s can do. He’s amazing, future long-term gold glover.

I know, Barmes is just terrible. Why does he even use a glove?

51. Frankie says:

100 over

Thanks

52. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Yes he did and as Lad9 stated above, his bat is coming around BIG time this year.

Very fun to watch. I watch the Giants almost every night after the Pirates game…….

Like.

Like.

That’s a shame.

Well, lets see if we can get a few more inmates to fess up ;-)

And yes, it is too early to nominate Mr Cole into our Hall of Fame

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE – added 5/21
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE – added 5/21
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*

364 locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh
    Rocky Blier*
    First Responders***
    20 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    6/11/2013 4:47 PM

He’s gonna have to get out of Andrelton Simmons league before he starts winning Gold Gloves.

I’m going to the game tonight ( bought my tickets on Sunday )
    I’ll try to send back some scouting reports from the game.

Here is the first one:

A scout has said “Cole is tall”

Lots of us going to the game. As Jim said, wish I was going. Maybe all the bloggers should meet at a specific concession area and talk about Dejan behind his back. :)

60. Bob Hasis says:

Simmons is terrific

A friend just texted me to say he’s in Pittsburgh on business, and he had this trip planned a couple of months ago …. had the good sense to plan a Bucco game as part of the trip – tonight! He said, “I was just happy to be finally adding PNC as my 23rd MLB ball park, and now I hear tonight is a pretty big deal.” I’d have given my left arm to be there tonight, and this Cubs fan is going. Ugh!

He’s a really good guy, but if any of you see a portly ad executive who doesn’t seem to know who young Mr. Cole is, please gently knock the beer (that he will undoubtedly be holding) out of his hand for me. Thanks, in advance.

We’re meeting at the Starbucks on 6th Street.

We’re hoping to talk about him in front of his back.

More concerned about his downward plane.

:) With that good laugh I’m off. Enjoy the game at the park everybody who is going or, as Vin Scully says, wherever you may be.

Hopefully, I can speak for all Bucs fans and say, “I’ll gladly take either at this point.” & if young Mr. Segura is interested in coming to Pittsburgh, I’d be thrilled with that as well. The Brewers have admitted they had no idea he was anywhere near this good.

I’ll report back on that Jim.

And you can rest assured, none of my reports will be about the Pirate Charities sign.

67. stickyweb says:

The over seems kind of easy to take so I’ll go all contrarian and take 100 on the UNDER. Hope it’s 8 Ks and 0 BBs. Thanks Playoffs.

I feel like it is a different group here for the night games. Sort of like one sports radio crew handing the torch over to the next to take us home.

Hilarious, Thunder!!

Just bring home a W.

70. Bob Hasis says:

Don’t most Cub fans make that kind of appearance – even if there isn’t a ball game nearby?

He’s also nowhere near this good.

But yeah, I’ll take any of ‘em and be pleased as a peach.

I’m feeling that.

73. OZ says:

100 Samolians on the under. Thx.

74. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window. Exciting day for the PBC and Bucs fans all around. Big series with the Giants begins tonight as this is one team I would imagine will be in contention for a division title or wild card berth themselves.

As for today’s line on the rookie Gerrit Cole. Down on the farm he went under that number in eight of his last ten starts, seven consecutive games in Indy he went under the number. That is good enough for me.

50 on the UNDER.

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

You thinking Flash in the Pan on Segura, NMR? Or something sinister going on? I have been wondering that myself. Suddenly, he has all this power and is hitting .340. Also had 6 hits in a game. For the love of Rennie Stennett!

76. Brandie says:

Mr. Playoffs: May I have 25 units on the under, please?

77. Nate83 says:

50 on the under

Yes. Outcomes of games is something they don’t worry much about. He’d be mortified, however, if that beer was more than 1/3 full and got knocked out of his hand.

79. Brandie says:

Thank you for posting the lines, by the way.

Simmons is struggling to hit so far, though, right? Of course, so did Crawford for awhile.

81. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Simmons is awesome also. This is almost like going back to Barry Larkin and Ozzie Smith era.

82. Playoffs by 2012 says:

No problem.
    It is a labor of love!!

83. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Struggling for normal standards, thriving for Pirates standards.

.254

84. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I think “Jim Belushi” type

Remember when Ozzie Smith was traded for Garry Templeton? Can you imagine that now? Two talented starting SS – one mostly known for his offense and the other for his defense. There were some GMs that had some serious b*alls in those days. You are really setting yourself up to be destroyed by your team’s fans if that one backfires. And the SD GM probably did get crushed for that, as Ozzie went on to greatness.

86. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Not at all….I find his commentary very annoying. So I avoid it.

87. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Probably not crushed for that, especially with the lack of social media and/or blogs.

Its definetly a different era.

Almost a dead ringer for Belushi – just a little less hair! Only thing is, this guy is originally from Detroit. He moved here about 15 years ago and switched to the Cubs from Tigers. I give him crap about that every chance I can. Now, when the Cubs inevitably fall hopelessly out of the playoffs chase by tax day every year, he tries to latch back onto to the Tigers. But, his heart just isn’t it. And I tell him he has no right to go back once he has abandoned his birthright.

89. pattonbb says:

Simmons has the strongest arm at SS that I can remember seeing. Love Crawford, he’s a great ballplayer, but Andrelton Simmons is a rare talent.

I’d happily take Crawford, Segura, and Simmons. Not knocking anyone, just think Simmons is 1a with the other two 1b and 1c.

90. pattonbb says:

Make us proud Thunder!!

Good for you.

91. Jason81 says:

100 on the OVER, please!

92. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

@patton

I agree. When I mentioned Ozzie and Larkin, I was thinking he had the arm of Shawon Dunston. Could’ve lumped him in there as well.

93. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I know the feeling. I tried to dump these Buccos a long time ago too. I am a Giants fan as well, but its not the same.

Simmons looks like a freakish athete, but Crawford isn’t far from that, either.

I keep thinking the Bucs need to take a run at Profar or Andrus – assuming Texas will give up one of them. I know it would take a lot – probably Taillon or Cole, at least – but, we could be getting a long term answer at SS. And, let’s face it, there’s not much in the pipeline that we can count on for certain.

I have lived away from Pittsburgh now for 20 years, and I kept telling people that the Bucs were my first sports love, and if I get to stay a Steelers and Pens fan, I am sticking it out with the Bucs also. Now, I feel they just might be on the verge of paying me back for that loyalty over the next several years.

96. Dadtackular says:

100 on the over

97. Ermine says:

100 under please

All the tickets at Stub Hub are gone. First time I’ve seen that.

99. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Yea I agree. Say the same thing but have been gone even longer.

100. Brandie says:

Message to all going ton the ballpark tonight…Have an awesome time. I’m sooooooo jealous.

Wish Hippo was here to share his thoughts. Wishing you and your family peace, Dear Hippo.

Thunder. Are you wearing clothes this time?

For once I wish I wasn’t in Florida.

Just for tonight, Dejan. So don’t get excited.

103. Just got the call for “wet grounds” rainout for my softball game tonight!

Darn, I would have gone to see the “Man of Steel” throw his first Major League game.

OK cable, don’t fail me tonight!!!

MLB Network just showed Bryan Bullington pitch.

B*st*rds.

105. Brandie says:

I feel a Mel Allen TWIB moment coming on…”How ’bout that”?

Agreed, a win is a must

I’ve had no dinner yet

Its a northern style thing.

That post ruins dinner plus any sleep I was gonna get tonight….

108. kr70 says:

100 over ….and thanks

There is a record somewhere that BB actually pitched?

I would have called it something different.

How is his Japanese career going, anywho?

110. Brandie says:

Hey there Lad.

111. Brandie says:

Come on Pirates! Bring the Bats and support Gerrit Cole as he embarks on the start of his Major League career. Bring home The W. Now is the time!

112. What part of Japan was he in?

Now there are Home Run Derby “captains” for the AS Game, they get to pick the other contestants

We on the blog should pick “captains” to lead different things

Yeah, that’s the ticket

But budmeister probably already copyrighted the idea…

Sigh, its baseball, Bud

114. JD says:

Smizik’s not that bad.

Well, if he performs there like he did here, look for a place that serves week old sushi ;-)

Yup, Jason is in Seattle.

Did we trade him?

117. Please, Please, PLEASE————don’t be Tim Neverett on TV tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don’t go to starbucks on 6th street….

Come home ;-)

Someday

Just heard this from Stan. Brandon Crawford’s sister is Gerrit Cole’s girlfriend. Who knew ?

Thanks for doing that, Dejan ;-)

122. I don’t WANT Gerrit Cole to do well tonight . . . . .

. . . . I actually WANT to be in his shoes!!

The little boy in me wants to be in his shoes, experiencing his first big league start!

The big boy in me wants to be in his shoes, experiencing my first big league start!!!!

123. Brandie says:

Thank you as well, DK.

124. Frankie says:

I think this is a loser bet OZ

This post can be deleted too. ;-)

Wait, thunder dislikes talking about that trade

Nevermind

Before the game starts, if the Penguins had lengthy meetings on whether or not to fire their coach, haven’t they already really fired their coach ? Even if they decide to bring him back, that’s some vote of confidence. Just get it over with already.

127. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Gerrit Cole and Brandon Crawford both went to UCLA.

128. Keith says:

100 on the over.

129. Patrick(ri) says:

This could be the year. Hope tonight gives some support for that claim.

130. Patrick(ri) says:

Just as long as nobody hits a triple. His call makes my skin crawl.

131. I see ZERO benefit of firing Dan Bylsma, whose team went 36-12, despite losing important players for lengthy stretches; and whose #1 Goalie went Walkabout during the Playoffs; and whose top 4 players scored ZERO points in the last series.

The only benefit is to satisfy the Lynch mob mentality.

132. pattonbb says:

WHOOOOO-HOOOOO

Welcome to the big leagues Cole. Three pitches – one K.

Yep. No argument here. I don’t want him gone either.

134. Patrick(ri) says:

Brown’s triple call, tat is.

135. MadTurk says:

+ Infinity

136. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Scutaro is absolutely hitting everything thrown at him right now….batted .420 for the month of May and continues the hot bat.

137. MadTurk says:

2 hits in the inning, fire him!

138. MadTurk says:

oh no I think the force behind his pitches just broke the blog. Time line out of order.

139. Dave G says:

Hello, King Cole!

Very impressive~!!!

Everybody breathe now

141. Eric Bowser says:

Gerrit Cole… what a bum… 2 hits in 1 inning… what is this, Kris Benson #2?

……I’m kidding

142. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Need something different, The King is in Seattle.

Looks like the blog is broke again, posts everywhere

Good start though

144. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Greg Brown and Bob Walk have Cole as a first ballot Hall of Famer…after one half inning.
    Please people, let’s keeps this all in perspective here.

145. JRay3 says:

Marte quickly turns lead off walk into a double with his 18th stolen base of season, let’s get the rookie an early lead.

146. Brandie says:

I’m tell in’ Dad. Gerrit broke the blog!

147. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

BTW, people complained about the Pirates pitchers holding base stealers last year?

Lunatics, meet Tim Lincecum. Can’t hold anybody on, doesn’t care to either.

148. Dave G says:

Ok.

Gerrit the Ferret?

149. JRay3 says:

But than equally as quickly erases himself from scoring position with base running gaffe on ball hit to left side.

150. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

OUt at 3rd? Seriously? Someone please explain what base running blunder Marte pulled off.

151. Dave G says:

Marte runs into the thrid baseman, who happened to field the ball in front of him.

Isn’t that the second time now?

Maybe you pull a guy when he does moronic stuff like that. Maybe then the message gets through. I don’t know.

153. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

And another SB……..

154. Bob Hasis says:

Starling Marte might have a problem with common knowledge of baseball, but is it too much for the 3rd base coach to INSURE that the runner knows there is ONE out?

155. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Sometimes it would, but sometimes he just needs a reminder of what to do.

They should know this $#!T by now though.

156. Brandie says:

Yes. Baffling.

157. Bob Hasis says:

It is now time to start changing speeds, and throw a few sliders (curves), because when he comes around to the top of the lineup, he will have been measured already.

158. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Yes it is…this is a mental gaffe on the runner. At this level?? C’mon Bob, this ain’t little league.

Every time a Giant hitter makes contact it sounds like their bat is breaking

Greg or Blanco ?

161. Bob Hasis says:

They do it all of the time – big leagues or not

162. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I dont know, not good at the nickname game…

163. JRay3 says:

And Gerrit Cole escapes his first jam as a MLB pitcher, mixing in the curve to Scutaro to get the harmless flyout. Through 34 pitches – 28 strikes and 6 balls.

164. pattonbb says:

Milo – is that “effectively wild”?

165. Bob Hasis says:

BTW Nor Cal, I do not exonerate Marte in the least. But maybe in his case a little extra communication might be required

166. JRay3 says:

With as big as the scoreboards are in this day and age a simple look back can help you know the situation.

When you throw that hard, one of those every once in awhile is always effective.

New drinking game.

Pound one for every Pirate who reaches second but doesn’t score.

169. JaxBuc says:

Okay, I’m pretty juiced about tonight’s game, as I’ve only got to watch about four Buc’s games all year so far. Even happier that MLB network is using the Giants broadcasters, so it’s a well-called game.

Now, for my concern. Cole has thrown about 35 pitches so far. I think he has hit the target where Martin has set up with MAYBE 4 of those pitches. Martin keeps setting up 6″ inside and Cole’s pitches are coming right down Broadway. That’s going to result in a lot of hits, even if you throw 98 mph. I hope he settles down and gets under contol a little.

Disclaimer: Only if you’re not driving. Please.

171. Bob Hasis says:

NOW comes the moment Mr. Barmes

172. JRay3 says:

Bases loaded nobody out and just the guy we all want up at the plate in Barmes…right where we want them.

Or naked.

174. Patrick(ri) says:

Have faith.

175. pattonbb says:

crap….

176. Patrick(ri) says:

What kind of fan lets him reach that far in?

Which reminds me. When is Thunder gonna run across the field?

178. Steelag70 says:

You were saying Patrick?

179. Bob Hasis says:

sigh. .alas. . oh well

180. pattonbb says:

exactly!

181. MadTurk says:

or walking anywhere

182. pattonbb says:

Cole-mania!!!!!!!!

183. Patrick(ri) says:

Cole has seen this offense!

184. JRay3 says:

3-2 pitch, right down middle of plate should not have to rely on fan.

Cole shows Barmes how it is done.

185. Dave G says:

Hey this kid can hit too!

Finally, someone that knows what to do with runners in scoring position.

187. Patrick(ri) says:

No dble play.

No Freaking Way

189. MadTurk says:

Wow nice at bat and watchng he replays you see how he kept his eye’s and head on the pitch

190. JRay3 says:

And Cole flashes the ‘Z’…classic, let the love affair between city and player begin.

Our new DH for inter-league games!

192. JRay3 says:

haha +1 good stuff

193. Patrick(ri) says:

Marte gets an early shot at redemption . . . Alas.

194. pattonbb says:

Worst base running team in baseball.

Can he play SS?

196. JRay3 says:

Amazing at times isn’t it?

197. Steelag70 says:

I meant about Barmes….I have no faith in his hitting…

198. Brandie says:

Gerrit Cole with the double!!!!!!!!!!!

199. pattonbb says:

It really is. You just don’t see these kind of blunders from teams like St. Loo, at least not on a regular basis.

200. Patrick(ri) says:

+many, many

201. Steelag70 says:

Bad wheel Neil…Uggghhh

202. Patrick(ri) says:

Makes you wonder how the can be this stupid? The coaches cannot be absolved when a team is this bad.

203. Bob Hasis says:

Lincecum is hanging on by a thread right now

204. Patrick(ri) says:

+1. I was, as Brits say, trying to be ironic.

205. MadTurk says:

Yeah maybe he can pitch and play short at the same time. Always wondered why baseball players could not multi task?

206. JRay3 says:

Cole through four on just 48 pitches – 39 strikes, 9 balls…so far so good.

207. Steelag70 says:

Looks like Cole is settling in….

208. Patrick(ri) says:

With all the “Blog Bitchin” I am doing about hitting and baserunning, the new guy is pitching a shutout and he drove in two. As DK was saying about Bruin fans, why not enjoy the moment?

209. Steelag70 says:

Only 13 pitches the last two innings….maybe he will get a few more K’s..

210. Keith says:

Cole: 48 pitches in 4 innings. Looking good for 7.

211. MadTurk says:

Cole up to bat, anyone think he could put one in the river?

212. Eric Bowser says:

Trib editors can thank me later but here’s tomorrow’s headlines

1 – Pens & Bylsma to part ways

2 – Cole Night for Pirates

213. Eric Bowser says:

Cole is pitching… not worrying about his strikeout totals.

This is a great performance. I know we wanted big strikeout numbers but this is better.

He’s a pitcher, not a thrower.

Loving this.

214. pattonbb says:

When you have an arm like that, the strikeouts will come. He’s just throwing fastballs tonight saying, “here it is, good luck”.

215. Bob Hasis says:

Barmes would have had it

216. pattonbb says:

Hit the showers Timmy!!

217. Steelag70 says:

Would rather have both…call me greedy. ;)

218. pattonbb says:

He probably would have, but he might have dropped it as he transferred from his glove…

219. pattonbb says:

Greedy!

220. MadTurk says:

Ok question to all the stat guys and gals .
    When was the last time or how many Pitchers making their debut have won the game and also hit in the winning run(s)?

221. Steelag70 says:

Methinks Hurdle will PH for Cole even if this inning is quick.

222. Bob Hasis says:

that’s because he fields everything one-handed. Now if you field it with two hands (WHEN POSSIBLE), there is no transference. But that’s Barmes

223. Bob Hasis says:

He had better not

I had dinner, so that’s over, sleeping is another matter

225. Mary says:

The Cole-train is moving on thru! What a pitcher!

All I can say is PDI

Pretty dam impressive

227. Eric Bowser says:

This is unreal stuff tonight… finally, a pitching prospect that looks mature on the mound.

228. Steelag70 says:

Glad I drafted Cole and have stashed him on my bench in my fantasy league!

229. pattonbb says:

Absolutely not!

230. Steelag70 says:

Clint can’t help himself when it comes to the bullpen…

231. Steelag70 says:

Glad I was wrong!!

232. pattonbb says:

Marte make amends for the boneheaded baserunning!

233. Steelag70 says:

Marte Partay!!!

234. Steelag70 says:

BP time??

235. MadTurk says:

Maybe I asked to soon?

hey! I think I like this Cole guy :)

237. Dave G says:

Great job by Cole tonight.

The kid has a cannon.

Cannon Cole.

Let’s win this one for him.

238. pattonbb says:

More effective wildness….

OK who broke the blog?

he sure does…even has hubby interested in watching

241. Dave G says:

… and Watson breaks Scuaro’s hand with an inside screamer.

242. Dave G says:

Scutaro pulled immediately.

Watson pulled too.

243. Barb says:

many +

Hi Barb. hubby was busy on e-bay. I was watching…glad i was :)

245. pattonbb says:

c’mon Pedro….lets get a couple more.

wo-hoooo!!!!!!!

247. pattonbb says:

Atta boy!

he listened to you bb :)

249. pattonbb says:

about time somebody did….

250. Barb says:

Pedro comes through again. :)

251. Bob Hasis says:

I don’t care what happens the rest of the year, The Pirates ARE the worst base-running team in the league(s).
    Players, coaches and general instruction are all at fault

252. pattonbb says:

I agree….but you do realize they’re up by 6, right?

lol

254. Barb says:

Hi Jandy….still recovering from the Pens massacre. :(

I was yellin about that too, but we are winning so I’ll temper it

256. Barb says:

Bob they need to buy the book “You Too Can Learn To Run the Bases Effectively”.

it’s gonna take me a while :(

258. Barb says:

Do you think that Shero keeps Bylsma or is he gone?

259. Bob Hasis says:

I would like to know what it is that makes Hurdle believe that Gaby is such a great defensive improvement over Jones at 1st base? He invariable makes such a change in the late innings

260. Bob Hasis says:

They have it but didn’t – or can’t – read it

261. Bob Hasis says:

So that permits sloppy base-running habits? Are you kidding me,?

262. Bob Hasis says:

And they haven’t been up 6 for the entire game!!

He’s just hoping to get him an AB because he’ll be playing tomorrow.

I honestly don’t know.

265. Bob Hasis says:

Is that necessary?

OK if you wanna yell at them, go ahead :)

267. Bob Hasis says:

Let him pinch hit instead of Inge

Didn’t this Kontos used to play for the Penguins ? Oh that was Chris Kontos.

269. Barb says:

Well let’s see if the warning to both benches hold. Yea right.

270. Barb says:

Answered my own question. You’re outta there Kontos.

271. pattonbb says:

No no, I agree Bob. I’m just saying since they’re up, try enjoying it. Baserunning, Hurdle, Barmes criticisms are, at times valid. But winning cures most of what ails us.

What is this all about ? Scutaro ?

wow. Just wow.

274. pattonbb says:

so is Bochy

275. pattonbb says:

Undoubtedly. I bet the hand’s broke and he’s out for a while.

not sure…but both benches were warned so of course you hit a batter you’re gonna get ejected.

277. Barb says:

However if we were playing Cincinnati………

278. Barb says:

Marte was hit earlier in the game before Scutaro.

279. pattonbb says:

Alvarez

280. Barb says:

You are correct,

281. pattonbb says:

*boken

282. Bob Hasis says:

Son, let me tell you something profound; I enjoy baseball more than you will know, I mean every aspect of it.
    There is a right way and the other way to play it.

This will sound too self-serving, so I apologize ahead of time, but I am a purist (at least in my own mind) and I do enjoy the game greatly!

283. pattonbb says:

maybe 1 out of 100 times….

284. pattonbb says:

*broken

I love to type

285. Steelag70 says:

+ 2

286. bradthedad says:

Yes, Scutaro. But Marte got selected because of his slow home run trot. Bush.

287. Steelag70 says:

Well at least they both hit people…

288. Barb says:

We had them alllllllllll away.
    There was not doubt about.
    Raise the Jolly Roger.
    Good night all.

289. Barb says:

That should be…We had them alllll the way.
    Forgive me Gunner.

Night!

291. JRay3 says:

Behind a solid 6.1 innings of work in Gerrit Cole’s debut, coupled with a 12 hit eight run outburst including HR’s by Alvarez and Marte the Bucs sink the Giants 8-2 and there was noooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Bucs are now 12 above .500 at 38-26 and take a 4.5 game lead on a WC spot on the Giants. The Pirates return to action tomorrow night in the middle game of the set with Francisco Liriano taking the hill for the Pirates.

Let’s Go Bucs.

292. MadTurk says:

Way to go Bucs, let’s keep it going

Obviously a sweet night

+ 30K for a Tuesday to boot

Think Cole will get another start?

+ 1

295. pattonbb says:

….Fear the Bones….

Thanks for that. I was out of the room when Marte hit his homer. Hope he gets the message.

297. MadTurk says:

Hard to tell but I would guess YES

298. pattonbb says:

Only 30K on a tuesday? I’m sure some people will find fault with that.

It’s an hour past my bedtime.

WHERE’S THAT FREAKING COLUMN??

Great night at the ballpark.
    Great crowd
    Great atmosphere.

301. DJ says:

By now, I am sure most know about the incredible lines for “wanding” the fans as they entered the ballpark. Walked in through the Roberto Clemente statue entrance and only 2 of 5 gates were open with wanding personnel and ticket-takers. From the other gates I walked by with lines down each block, assume it was the same situation.

At least 3 days to get ready and not enough employees on hand. Incredible incompetence by Nutting, Coonelly & company. Instead of Coonelly apologizing, given that some fans missed the first three innings, they should be handing out free tickets to those fans for the next Cole start.

302. Ed says:

7 minutes until Dejan’s column on Cole appears. Hurry up time!

303. Ed says:

The time postings in this blog are two minutes fast.

304. Ed says:

Three minutes plus, actually.

305. tdb1977 says:

I’m glad I picked him up after the draft and just left him on the bench.

307. Reading says:

Marte took off out of the batter’s box because the homer was a line drive. Didn’t look like a slow trot to me. Hope you mean their hitting Marte was bush. Marte did nothing wrong.

308. Bob Hasis says:

Correct

309. pattonbb says:

Agreed. Marte’s HR trot was nothing offensive.

310. bradthedad says:

Disagree. Very obvious, to me, slow trot from second to home. My ‘bush’ referred to Marte. Not the sort of thing you do to a team after they lose their hottest hitter. Couldn’t help but notice Burnett with his arm around him in the dugout with AJ doing all the talking. My guess is that AJ wasn’t talking about dinner plans.