Final: Pirates 3, Dodgers 0

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (39-27) vs. Los Angeles Dodgers (28-37)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. RHP Stephen Fife

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Russell Martin, C
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Travis Snider, RF
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Locke, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the beat.

Comments

HIPPO HEY!!!!!!! ;)

Lets Go Bucs !!!!!!!!!

I see Presley is starting again.
    Is Marte on the DL?

3. JRay3 says:

Tonight is an important game in this series for the Pirates with Kershaw and Greinke the next two days.

Snider 5-35 .142 in June, and Barmes 1 for his last 17 .058 or of the season long .201 AVG and .235 OBP make the bottom third of this lineup look anemic.

Has Zagurski been released yet?

Go Bucs.

4. Playoffs by 2012 says:

THREE-PLAY FRIDAY!!!

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Line #1
    Total RBI’s by Garrett Jones in tonight’s game
    Line is 1.5

Line #2
    Total Combined WALKS ISSUED by Pirates STARTING PITCHERS this weekend against the Dodgers
    Line is 10.5

Line #3
    Total WINS by the Pirates this weekend against the Dodgers
    Line is 1.5

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).

GOOD LUCK!!!

5. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Standings will be updated after Sunday’s game.

The franchise of Robinson vs the franchise of Clemente.

Series is dripping with history.

Line 1: 25/Under
    Line 2: 25/Over
    Line 3: 50/Under

Thanks, Sir.

7. Frankie says:

Give me a 100 on each

Line 1. Under

Line 2. Under

Line 3 over

Thanks

First time I’ve done that this year. Sorry about it not being in the reply box.

Zagurski still on the team but not be for long. Word is Brandon Cumpton will be starting tomorrow so will have to be added to the 40 and 25

10. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window. Time for these battling Bucs to prove they can weather the injury bug that has hit them hard the past few days.

Time to tackle this three-play Friday. Line one centers on Garrett Jones and RBI’s. In 62 games this season Jones has multiple RBI’s in eight games. Decided numbers advantage here.

Line 1 – 100 on the UNDER

In line two we look at free passes. Although it was announced the Brandon Cumpton has been added to the taxi squad deeming him most likely starter tomorrow which is an advantage over Oliver he still will probably have some nerves. The Dodgers have walked 199 times in 65 games or 3.06 a contest. Two rookie pitchers and Jeff Locke who has been wild at times points to an over here.

Line 2 – 50 on the OVER

The Bucs are 0-3 versus the Dodgers this year and have to face Kershaw and Greinke both this series, doesn’t look good on paper.

Line 3 – 100 on the UNDER

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs.

11. Karen22 says:

100 each:

1. Under
    2. Under

12. Karen22 says:

OOPS!

AND Line 3: 100 on Over

13. JRay3 says:

Not a moment to soon for Zagurski. Probably safer choice right now going with Cumpton over Oliver.

14. KJX says:

Line 1: 100 UNDER
    Line 2: 100 UNDER
    Line 3: 50 OVER

As I lose my shirt once again

Line 1 100 over
    Line 2 100 under
    Line 3 100, of course, OVER

Thanks Playoffs

16. JRay3 says:

Brandon Cumpton, 9th round pick of the Pirates in 2010 draft out of Georgia Tech.

In four seasons in the minors:

26-24 3.85 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 2.6 BB/9, 5.8 K/9 2.22 SO/BB

This season in Indy – 4-4 3.31 ERA 1.24 WHIP, 65.1 IP, 59 H, 22 BB, 49 K

Will become the 11th different pitcher to make a start this season.

I know the pitcher that we drafted with our number one pick that year is only 21, but it would have been nice if he had progressed faster than Cumpton.

I don’t know if that necessarily follows. They treat the #1 guys with kid gloves, it seems.

19. JRay3 says:

Pirates certainly using extreme care with Taillon and his development but can’t find fault with his handling especially given he is expected to be future ace and a piece that can help carry a team. He is still on track to get his first taste of AAA at some point this season.

It goes back to the drafting H.S. players versus college kids. Majority of time, there are a few exceptions, the H.S. kids will need the extra couple years in the minor league system.

I sure hope not. He was starting to hit again.

21. He should spend the bulk of the year at AA, really and come up to AAA like Cole did last year, for a couple games only.

Might also have something to do with that fact that Taillon couldn’t even legally buy cigarettes by the time Cumpton was 21.

But hey, who cares about physical development.

Cumpton is 3 years older than J.T.

And he signed earlier so got a couple of games at State College before Taillon was able to get into the system.

It would still be nice if the #1 pick was a little closer to contributing. But maybe is shows how great we are at drafting in Round 9.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Taillon spends all of 2014 in AAA.

Yeah, even a Grade B/C prospect coming out of 3 years of college has a huge head start over a kid that came straight from HS – even a TX guy.

It’s all a crapshoot.

Arriba Foo

If only the Pirates had developed Taillon like the Orioles developed Dylan Bundy…

Any particular reason?

I still hope that a #9 pick does not have a huge head start.

30. stuart66 says:

Playoffs,

Please give me the following amounts of coffee beans:

Line 1 – 100 Under
    Line 2 – 100 Over
    Line 3 – 50 Under

Stuart

I’ve watched the video a few times now and I still can’t understand how Tulowitzki broke his rib diving for that ball yesterday.

Very brittle.

I think either scenario is very possible for Taillon.

I think he is right on track, whether he gets to Pittsburgh in 2014 or 2015. 2014 would put him on the same track age-wise as Cole, right? 22 and starting in the bigs is extremely good. 23 is still very good if he gets here in 2015.

I think the reason people tend to think college players are safer picks is only because they are more known commodities by the time they are 21, and the ones who don’t have what it takes for sure are already weeded out by then. Whereas, 18 year olds are 3 years younger and so it is far more difficult to judge their potential for down the road. A lot of them have not been weeded out yet. But, I think if a team picks the right guy (Taillon), it is much more confident about his chances in their system right away than getting the same guy 3 years later after a college program has had him. I hope that made sense.

You said it. He is a walking injury. Frustrating for me this year because I have him in a HR pool. This will kill my chances.

It certainly did.

Well if some are ‘whispering’ about Grilli, I would think they may apply to Tulo

36. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

LINE 1: 100 UNDER
    Should mean he hits a 3 run bomb, I’ll take one for the team.

LINE 2: 100 UNDER

LINE 3: 100 OVER

I don’t think it is a talent thing, Thunder. Just a physical and mental development thing. The 21 yr old has faced better hitters, been exposed to better training, pitched more innings. And he is a man vs. an 18 yr old who still may be filling out.

Ha, I seem to remember Keith Kovacevic, I mean Keith Law taking a ton of heat from Rockies fans at the beginning of the year because he predicted they’d win like 54 games or something ridiculous like that.

Now he’s clearly wrong, but part of his reasoning was that he didn’t believe Tulo would be healthy for more than 100 games.

Tulo’s broken rib came in game number 61. Not bad, Keith, not bad.

39. Jason81 says:

100 on the UNDER for Line 1

100 on the UNDER for Line 2

100 on the OVER for Line 3

Interesting. Brittleness does tend to happen to certain guys that seem to end up on certain lists.

This is Thunder being obtuse, Jim. It’s his thing sometimes.

42. Sisyphus says:

If it was all a crapshoot you could fire all of your scouts and pick names at random out of the phonebook.

Assuming that phonebooks still exist, that is.

43. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

AGREE!! Though I’d love to see him get the call, let’s be reasonable here.

Oh wait, I forgot where I was.

44. JRay3 says:

24/7 reports that AJ Burnett has a grade one calf tear/strain. Big difference in recovery time between a grade one and a grade two. Grade one 7-10 days, grade two 4-6 weeks.

Fingers crossed on the right diagnosis.

45. Anybody ever say how it came about?

46. JRay3 says:

Reported as a freak accident that occurred while running in the OF during usual between game workouts.

47. Sisyphus says:

I don’t see the extreme care going on, not as it applies to moving up through the system.. Taillon still hasn’t put up a sub-3.00 ERA at any level. He’s on track this year for his first sub-3.50 ERA. He’s been advanced about as fast as he deserves to be advanced.

48. Nate83 says:

line 1 – 100 on the under

line 2 – 50 on the under

line 3 – 50 on the over

49. stickyweb says:

Playoffs,
    I’ll take the following for 100 each:

Line 1 UNDER
    Line 2 OVER
    Line 3 OVER

And remind me. Was that 1.5 hits line last night for Cutch or for the whole team? Thanks.

50. Wow. Thanks, JRay.

Snider needs to hit. He has Presley looking over his shoulder now. I hope that gets him back aggressively driving the ball again.

52. Sisyphus says:

I did hurt my calf playing tennis when I was about the same age as A.J. Must have been a grade 10 tear, because I was limping for about 9 months.

Of course, A.J. isn’t a short, fat guy who works behind a desk.:-)

53. chethejet says:

What is the status of JMac? He is missing an opportunity to get back in the game. Morton as I thought I posted was unimpressive last night, but I will give him a pass first time back. Second outing has to be much better and I am concerned he is just not a player who will compete and be there. Hope I am wrong, but he may never be the pitcher he showed for two months in 2011.

I need to look that word up.

Isn’t that how the Pirates got here in the first place?

Sisy–if you think I was being serious, you don’t read here enough.

But, on the other thing you seem to be disagreeing with me over, I do think they treat Cole and Taillon differently than # 10 picks. And I think Neal has acknowledged as much. It’s not a criticism, it’s an observation.

57. Lad9 says:

Mr Playoffs:

Line 1 Under
    Line 2 Over
    Line 3 Over

All for 100

Thank you and Go Buccos!

58. Ermine says:

#1 100 under
    #2 100 over
    #3 100 over

thanks

59. JRay3 says:

JMac is currently rehabbing with Indy. Will make next rehab appearance on Sunday. Coming off of an 89 pitch performance that was not very good.

In four rehab starts he has a 6.91 ERA, 1.674 WHIP 5.0 BB/9 and 4.4 K/9…those numbers indicate he is a long ways away from helping the Pirates club.

60. OZ says:

Line 1: 100 Under

Line 2: 100 Over

Line 3: 100 Under

61. JRay3 says:

Exactly, the care is in making sure he demonstrates he is ready for promotion and not forcing or rushing it upon him to just get him up to the majors.

He is on a very good path, nothing suggests he won’t be wearing a Pirates uniform sometime in the near future.

It could be very easy for the team under the pressures they are and seeing others like Machado and Harvey taken later having strong impacts on their respective teams to force it a bit, they have not and good for them in doing so.

62. JRay3 says:

I guess I should clarify – near future – late ’14, or even ’15.

Mister Playoffs…………..

I would like the following……….

Line 1 — 100 Zagurskis on the UNDER.
    Line 2 — 100 Con. Lists on the OVER.
    Line 3 — 50 Cumptons on the UNDER.

Thank You for Shopping at Sears, and have an absolutely Hippo-ish day!!! ;)

I thought it had to do with another tattoo……. ;)

I’m hoping this Sanchez “yips” stuff is more technique than mental. That is what I am reading right now. I sure hope so.

The guys I remember having the “thing” are Blass, Sax, & that annoying infielder for the Twins then Yankees, whose name I can’t recall right now. Oh, and the catcher was Mackey Sasser, wasn’t it? Maybe the historians can chime in

Knoblach?

Ever see Rules of Engagement. The former David Puddy (from Seinfeld) plays a pretty similar character. Sometimes, he remarks that subtlety is lost on him. Me, too, in this instance.

It doesn’t sound like Sanchez’s “yips” are anywhere close to that level, thankfully.

There’s a movie reference to be made here, I just can’t put my finger on it…

I agree with the comment that he has never really consistently dominated anywhere yet (3+ ERA at every stop). I think the Pirates are doing some stuff differently from most teams in managing young pitchers, and it is definitely up for debate as to whether it is the way to go. They have taken most of Taillon’s pitches away from him for stretches to ensure he learns to command his fastball. But, if he has been pitching with one hand tied behind his back, maybe 3.50 ERAs are dominating.

I need him in my HR lineup, I know that.

FWIW, he seemed to be walking w/o a limp in the dugout on Wedneday, I believe.

Yes. That’s him. Something about him rubbed me the wrong way.

Kelly Shopach DFA’d by the Mariners.

A real, honest-to-goodness Major League backup catcher. Nice knowin’ ya, Michael.

I also read that Tabby won’t even begin his latest rehab for awhile. He is living the life. How does a supposed 24 year old pull all of his muscles every year while rarely looking like he even runs all that hard?

Are you thinking of Jake Taylor from “Major league”?

The fact he was an assclown?

That make Tyler Glasnow striking out everyone and their brother all the more impressive.

BOOM!

* :ducks: *

80. pattonbb says:

Line 1 – UNDER for 100
    Line 2 – UNDER for 100
    Line 3 – UNDER for 100

Is this where we wildly speculate that he’s on steriods?

Being I just got shot at, I will sneak back here when the game starts.

I think I had an acc-see-dent………

No. Here is where we wildly speculate that he’s at least 28.

I wasn’t going towards steroids. And, anyway, if he is doing them, he got the bad ones that don’t enhance performance.

It just frustrates me that he is always injured. I guess some guys just have bodies that break down.

I haven’t followed him lately, but he is a legit catcher.

85. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Other than girth, what is the difference between Travis Snider and Alex Presley?

I noticed they are very similiar last night after they batted 1 and 2.

AP obviously the more athletic of the 2.

Yes, as a matter of fact. I don’t even remember the particulars of his *ssclown-ness. I just remember that no one really felt bad for him when he couldn’t throw the 50 ft. from his 2nd base position to 1b.

Wasn’t there a playoff game when he ran over to cover 1b, probably on a bunt, and he thought he caught the ball in time? For whatever reason, the ump disagreed and called the guy safe. Chucky stood like a fool as the runners all raced around the bases.

If so, maybe Ingey will get it also.

Everything about that guy seems impressive to me. He definitely doesn’t prescribe to the Cole theory of pitching to contact. He appears to pitch through contact. What a beast he appears to be.

89. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

With the reference to the “Yips” I think of Tin Cup

90. Joey Mellons says:

Line 1. 100 under.
    Line 2. 100 over.
    Line 3. 100 under.
    Lets go bucs.

91. pattonbb says:

I had someone whose baseball opinion I greatly trust tell me Jameson Taillon has the most dominating curve ball had ever seen. He also told me Taillon isn’t allowed to throw it very often.

Looking forward to him getting to Indy soon.

92. blazer says:

Give me the under for all three at 100 per please. Not sure this weekend is going to go the Pirates way…

93. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Ramon Hernandez too

94. pattonbb says:

You’re right. 5 trips to the DL in 5 years. Too brittle.

95. JRay3 says:

Just the simple fact that he has thrown out 10 of 27 base runners a 37% clip signals an immense upgrade. He is under contract for 1.5 M…I hope the Bucs are wise enough to look into this.

96. radio wave says:

At playoffs: I will take 50 on the under four choices one into. I will take 50 on the over for choice number three. Thank you

97. This is where we widely speculate Milo’s premise on Jerry Sands is true about Tabby.

He stinks.

98. cherokee23 says:

100 under 1…….100 over 2…..100 under 3

99. pattonbb says:

It’s true.

Anyone but Tabata.

100. The Gunner says:

The Bucs can;t afford to bring JMac back up here and insert him in the rotation. He is just too damn erratic.

Morton’s performance was slightly below average last night. I agree with you, give him a Mulligan for last night’s showing. However, if his subsequent starts show little or no improvement, then a decision must be made on whether Morton is, indeed, major league material.

AJ and Wandy need to come back……………SOON!!

101. The Gunner says:

Scabata is a bum, he is, at best, a 4th outfielder. Everyone on this board knows how I feel about him. Why beat a dead horse??

What is a grade 1 calf tear?

103. Dadtackular says:

line 1 100 under
    line 2 100 over
    line 3 100 over

104. JUCOFan says:

Line 1 – 100 under
    Line 2 – 50 over
    Line 3 – 100 under

105. Patrick(ri) says:

I think we should beat this pitcher like a drum — for the corps.

106. JD says:

100 over all 3 please.

+ many

And Zagurski.

And Zagurski.

They’re both equally talented.

I’ll let them decide if that’s a compliment.

An active MLB All Star pitcher whose family i know let me know (off the record so unnamed) that Shopach is, in his words or a close enough parody: ‘one of the worst catchers in MLB…can’t hit, can’t field, only looks like a catcher.’

Or something pretty close to that.

(I loved his last line, implying that catchers are ugly.)

it was also a former teammate of Shopach’s.

When Shopach was with the Rays and they had no real catchers, he split time and was eventually beaten out by a converted outfielder (I think) who also couldn’t catch. To the fans around me in Tampa Bay, they seemed to think that the only redeeming quality of the OTHER guy was that he wasn’t Shopach.

Before anybody “argues” with me over this, first note that NONE of this represents my opinion or observation. I am reporting what others have told me. I am beyond neutral on Shopach; in fact never really cared.

112. Reading says:

The malaise of a Barmes rally-killing K.

113. florida steeler says:

Snider and Barmes–STINK. the Pirates need to spend some money and get a right fielder and just because Hurdle and Barmes are close friends; someone needs to tell Hurdle that winning comes before friendships. Inge, Barmes, Snider are not getting it done.

114. florida steeler says:

Time to send McHenry back to Little League and pick up Kelly Shopach !!!!!!

Why malaise over the expected?

I don’t get worked up when a pitcher Ks.

And you know the expression. Barmes Happens.

I don’t mind Inge as much since he’s the last guy on the bench and plays six positions, even if poorly.

My problem is the OTHER two. Because they play. If you want to call it that.

117. John Lease says:

Too roided up.

Did anyone hear if anybody got tossed from Kennywood today?

119. John Lease says:

Sometimes, that horse just has it coming? :)

120. pattonbb says:

Baserunning blunder or just a good play on Cutch? Thoughts?

121. Jason81 says:

Wonder how their walk-up sales were today…

122. pattonbb says:

Another rally killing at bat by Barmes.

Nothing deserving of applause……….. ;)

124. kr70 says:

patron tossed lunch

126. Ermine says:

Is there any other kind of at bat for Barmes? Oh yeah, when there’s no rally and he strikes out or pops up.

Yeah, some guy who was upset today wasnt Serbian Day at the park………..

I think that even the Bat Whisperer couldnt help Barmes…….

130. Ermine says:

His glove was ok there

Yep. His saving grace!

132. cosmo says:

But only one of them is “dripping with power”

Nice crowd tonight.
    Is it a sellout?

I think he IS the bat whisperer

39 pitches to get through the first four innings? If so, nice.

136. John Lease says:

The Pirates better start bubble-wrapping Locke, he’s the last starter standing.

137. I honestly think Presley has more power than Snider. He’s faster for sure.

138. John Lease says:

Barmes now under .200 with 5 left on so far tonight.

Can someone PLEASE give me a fork to stick in him?

139. The glove will save us X number of runs per month. What’s wrong with everyone?

;)

I think it’s saved us at least 5 runs tonight already

Hipposter, how’s the pond?

He’s looking pretty good tonight….

143. JRay3 says:

How do you spell masterful- L O C K E!!

A B S O L U T E

Pond is good.
    How is the Nunnery? ;)

You dont have enough time for me to describe all that is wrong…………………..

A…E…I…O…EWE!!! ;)

Bahahhaahaa!!! funny ;)

149. JRay3 says:

Why would CH not let Locke continue, he has a two hit shutout going, low pitch count and it is obvious the Dodgers do not have him figured out.

Wish he would trust his starters when they are throwing gems.

Hipposter, all that is wrong???

Glad you liked it. :)

darn straight

Agree 100%

Lucky asked what is wrong with everyone. I would be speaking for days………. ;)

:D

I see the Fridge That Ate Pittsburgh isnt in tonight………..

yeah well he was being facetious ;)

158. JRay3 says:

Davey Johnson lets Gio Gonzalez throw 127 pitches to get through seven tonight, Locke was at just 75 pitches. Plus another night you could save arms in the pen.

Water under the bridge now, come on Melancon and than Grilli.

lolol

OK bean that dirty bugger now

crap

162. Frankie says:

Dumb move by Hurdle…You have to have faith in the starter.

whew got outta that one

164. JRay3 says:

Ice in the veins, huge strikeout by Melancon!

If Hippos had fingernails, I would have bitten them. ;)

Roger, its early

Wait till September, (hopefully)

And I also wish you good tidings and hope things are ok or as well as things could be

Cutch is tough, isn’t he?

+ 1 for both the post and Melancon

seconded

Everything is ok.

Pirates winning.

Weather great.

Pond good.

And I am just fine. Honestly.

170. JRay3 says:

Heads up base running by Cutch who absolutely steals an insurance run there. Great use of his speed.

Thanks Jandy.

I think the Pond needs one of those Amish Peace, Love Hope round signs.

And a Yeungling sign next to it. :)

WTH was THAT????

I have both lol!

It was me on my way to the bathroom.
    Apologies………..

you Hippo-nut you :P
    LOL

Martin gets the pop up foul…beautiful

He is good at “framing” pop outs. ;)

Raise The Jolly Hippo !!!!!!!

179. JRay3 says:

Behind seven masterful shutout innings turned in by Jeff Locke who earns his sixth win, another hold from Melancon, a league leading 24th save from Grilli coupled with two RBI’s and a run scored from Cutch the Bucs take down the Dodgers in the series opener at PNC 3-0 and there was noooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Bucs improve to 13 above .500 at 40-27. The Pirates will look to make it two straight series wins against NL West teams and three consecutive series wins tomorrow afternoon when Brandon Cumpton makes his MLB debut.

Let’s Go Bucs!

RAISE IT!!!!

181. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

But not too high ;)

Raise what?

WOOT!

The Jolly Hippo, of course ;)

lol

Man, you Nuns must have some seriously strong flagpole ropes….. ;)

Last time I checked…the ARE winning

189. Ermine says:

Cards Lose, Cards Lose !!! :)

it’s all those flowing hsbits we tear up ;)

errr habits

192. pattonbb says:

Brewers and cowardly Reds were tied last time I looked too.

I think its time for a small snack for the meds, then maybe bed next to the Pond.

See you in the AM.

Night. :)

G’night my Hippo friend…sweet hippo dreams :)

195. Jason81 says:

Jay Bruce with a walk-off in the bottom of the 10th gives the Reds the W.

Indeed.

Goodness the Mets are awful. Might very well be worse than the 2010 Buccos.

198. John Lease says:

Me too, no reason for him not to start the 8th. It’s dumb to waste Melancon and Grilli when he was that masterful.

199. John Lease says:

40 wins already. Me likey, but 42 more are needed.

200. pattonbb says:

I heard Wlipon is finally free and clear of the Bernie Madoff money crunch and is targeting next year to significantly raise payroll. They are terrible, but it could be interesting to see what Sandy Alderson could do with control of the checkbook.