Final: Pirates 4, Reds 0

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (41-29) vs. Cincinnati Reds (43-28)

Starters: RHP Charlie Morton vs. RHP Mat Latos

Time: 7:10 p.m.

Site: Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Russell Martin,  C
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, RF
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  8. Jordy Mercer, SS
  9. Morton, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the beat.

Comments

1. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Wonder who gets hit first………hmmm

VOTTO!!!!!

Oh and…..#FreeTonySanchez

I rest

2. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Why do I like this lineup??

3. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Matt Harvey with a no-no through 6

Hey, seems as though they were telling the truth about starting Mercer most days.

I like it

Hard to argue with much.

Actually surprised Clint hasn’t resorted to using Gaby against righties sooner with Tabby out and Snider struggling.

Interesting that #8 doesn’t look like a black hole without Barmes or Inge there.

+ 1

I see Sanchez slid into Jim Callis’s top 10 Bucs prospects.

The re-emergence of Tony Sanchez.

You jinxed him, Ryan ;-)

Boy, was that an awful at bat by Gabby last night against the nasty lefty with the long name?

First, he got up 3-0 (nice). Then, he seemed to swing wildly (Pedro vs a lefty-like). Then, he looked like he had no intention of swinging at the 3-2 no matter where it was. The kid absolutely painted the corner at the knees. Then, Gabby tried to say it was a ball. That pitch was filthy. Cengrani, or whatever his name is, is Chris Sales-like.

Out of respect for Barmes, CH will not play him when Cole pitches because he doesn’t want to show him up by batting him after the pitcher who has batted about 10x over the last 6 years combined.

Ha, I admittedly turned the game off after Pedro swung through strike two at his eyes. Fairly certain I knew the outcome.

13. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I like him. Might have some mental issues/blockage going on right now though.

14. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Actually, I like how that dude pitches. He pitches.

15. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

As of now, your right.

16. He’s figured out how to hit, now if he could remember how to throw he’d be OK. He had another error last night, but also another home run and he’s over .300 again.

17. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The big question of the day is:

How Charlie Morton repsonds to this outing?

CM could be a huge contributor to this staff and I expect an improvement over his first outing. I like CM. I like what he brings to the table. With him coming back in June could be a shot in the arm that a mid season acquistion would be..

Or, his ship could sink.

Actually could suit Mercer well, given his struggles getting on base. Always thought it was pure insanity that Barmes could not manage to walk 5% of the time even while hitting in front of the freakin’ pitcher.

Yeah, suddenly he’s Mike Piazza.

He’s done both, so you never know with him

21. BostonsCommon says:

Is it time to switch Jones and Alvarez yet? I like Walker between them to break up the swing and miss, and as a right hand bat when needed. I think this is another move Hurdle needs to make. Hes . Over the last 30 days Pedro is .241/.341/.595 , with 8HR, 21RBI, and a 12.1% walk rate. If now isn’t the time, then when?

22. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I think working under Russell Martin could be a good thing for him.

What was the error though?

The Pedro whiff was painful to watch. I think everyone at the stadium + everyone watching on TV knew that AB was going to last 3 pitches. He was swinging no matter what. His mind was made up before the first pitch. None of them would have been strikes.

Of course, Latos will hang one at some point tonight and Pedro might hit it 450 ft.

24. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Exactly.

25. cmat0829 says:

Have to admit it folks, I will be watching the game tonight with white knuckles… Cholly has historically been good vs Cincy I think, and if he has his ‘Ground Chuck’ going it might be a good start for him… but if he is leaving balls up……… let’s go Bucs. We need to beat this arrogant team, Latos likes to ‘pitch with an edge’ so we’ll see how close he gets to Cutch’s head.

26. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I agree with that last statement, though his numbers in Cinncy disagree.

27. BostonsCommon says:

+1… unbelievable when you put it like that.

28. Playoffs by 2012 says:

TUESDAY OVER/UNDER!!!

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Today’s Line
    Total RUNS SCORED by the Pirates in tonight’s game
    Line is 3.5

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).

GOOD LUCK!!!

29. It said on a pickoff in the box.

I was also thinking that Chuck was the kind of pitcher that beats this Reds team in their own bandbox. Gotta keep it on the carpet.

31. Nate83 says:

I like that play in the field is dictating who plays a majority of the time. As long as Mercer keeps hitting above .270 and isn’t horrible in the field he deserves to continue being run out there. I still think Barmes will play and important role on this team. Just not 5.5 million worth of important.

So true. If you are even a half way decent hitter, you should draw more than your share of walks batting 8th. I can’t remember a Bucs SS who ever drew many walks or hit very well for more than a few years, other than Bell.

33. Nate83 says:

I’ve got a good feeling about tonight. So I’m going for 100 on the over. You can accidently score 4 runs in this ballpark.

I’m taking 100 on the Over. Pedro drives them in all by himself ;-)

Thanks Playoffs

35. cmat0829 says:

I think at this point Fort stays as backup catcher in the ‘burgh for three major reasons:

1) You want Martin to catch 6 days a week
    2) Sanchez will benefit from catching every day at Indy, needs some additional development
    3) Cutting Fort would be bad, bad, bad Karma

I think 2014 finds Sanchez as the backup C and probably getting more starts especially as the season progresses…to begin the transition from Martin.

Now, IF they can find a spot for Fort in a deadline deal, then thay may go ahead and do that, because at least they’d find a place for him to play and avoid the karma effect.

With the trade deadline coming up, who does NH go after?

I, personally, will agree with you.

We hashed this out last week with our usual fervor, but it has been suspiciously calm all day today. So, let’s take our respective sides on the Charlie Morton debate.

If you can’t remember where you stood on Charlie last week, you should get to pick a whole new position.

Dick Groat might be the last one…..

40. cmat0829 says:

I like Pedro, I really do. But his approach at the plate has got to improve… in the beginning he was too patient, looked at hittable pitches and fell into 0-2 counts. Now he seems to just swing at every pitch (something Cutch is doing way too much this year also, but that’s a different topic).

Clint preaches “if it’s slow, get it up, if it’s fast, get it down”….Pedro defies that, probably not on purpose, but maybe he needs glasses or Lasik surgery? His pitch recognition is not very good.

Seemed like Leake last night was pretty predictable…he as going soft on hitter counts… what would I pay for ONCe, just ONCE for Pedro or even Cutch to actually SIT OFFSPEED at 2-0 instead of assuming fastball…. 2002 called, Pirates, they want your approach at the plate back… pitchers are much more likely to ‘pitch backward’ now and time for us to ‘hit backward’.

Jay Bell is smart and I know Clint gets it because he talks about it…why can’t the players do it?

41. cmat0829 says:

100 over or I will be pissed.

I say he’s back in 2011 rental player mode for a high OBP outfielder.

That’s a tough one. Pedro has managed to lead the team in RBI’s batting so low. Maybe that’s where he belongs. I keep thinking get him up to 4/5 at some point, though.

44. stuart66 says:

Playoffs, 100 promissory notes on the over from this optimist, although it would be nice if it was possible to hedge that based on whether the Pirates collectively grow a pair before the game.

Stuart

45. cmat0829 says:

CH mentioned the other day that he wants to move Pedro up.. I think he wants Pedro to be on a good streak to do so, but I think he should do so anyway…and you know why? Because with Walker or Jones hitting BEHIND Pedro, you have good solid hitters to clean up his mess if he indeed strikes out with RISP…and pitchers would have to pitch him vs. trying to pitch around him (though there is little evidence pitchers are doing that now anyway)…

46. The Gunner says:

Let’s be positive and hope Ground Chuck shows up tonight – like when they were comparing him to Roy Halladay a couple years ago.

Matheny is doing this with Kozma in St Louis, fwiw.

Just gotta make sure Jordy doesn’t press or else we could see some ugly swings.

Its gotta be right field then, I think they are sold on Marte

And that means either Tabata or Snider hits the road.

I’m not sure where they may be headed

To your point, cmat, I want to see Sanchez but the yips thing gives me pause. If they are confident that is minor, I say bring him up. If not, then next year.

50. The Gunner says:

I could go for a high OBP OF / Who are the possibilities?

Yeah, they said last night he was only hitting about .150 there b4 he laced that single to RF.

52. stuart66 says:

Hey Lucky!

Saw your reference in the last thread to Prince and “The Possum”. I too, can still hear their voices.

Of course I can also still hear Mel Allen calling a “Ballantine three-ring blast” on a Mantle homer!

Stuart

53. BostonsCommon says:

Good grief, I didn’t even look at Jones over the last 30 days: .225/ .276/ .325, 1 HR (the bomb into the Allegheny), 7 RBI, and 6.9% walk rate.

I mean Hurdle has these numbers too…

Looking forward to seeing him work with Martin and hopefully getting some clean fielding behind him.

55. cmat0829 says:

I don’t see that really but I am a little scared that we will ‘go big’ and make the wrong choice and pay too much in terms of prospects… give me Aramis Ramirez or Alfonso Soriano… we need right handed power…ARAM can play first… Soriano can play right field and that solves a problem we have…. I think they can avoid top prospects in both cases if they take on the money… but I could be wrong, just top of mind on my part.

I think generically, my wish list is:

1) RH hitting outfielder with some pop
    2) RH hitting established 1B
    3) Veteran reliever, perhaps a losing team’s closer — someone like Kevin Gregg maybe
    4) Doubt there is any value available, but durable starting pitcher who can also perform in the pen if needed

I’ve heard Willingham’s name, but not so sure he’s doing so well this year

Pedro takes his deserved share of grief for being streaky, but Jones has a history of the same.

Doing what, NMR? Easing him into the starting spot? Or, forcing him to improve plate discipline?

59. Nate83 says:

I think it depends on the pitching. If starting pitching continues to have long term injury problems I could see them adding a starter. Otherwise the only spots that seem to make sense is Right Field or First Base if you are willing to move Jones to Right Field. Shortstops are almost impossible to trade for so upgrading that position to something better then Barmes/Mercer would be tough unless you gave up the entire farm. Marco Scutero’s don’t happen everyday and good luck catching that lighting in the bottle.

You really want to start that line of discussion again? :-D

If he pitches well tonight and then in his next outing, I think I’m gonna say I was in Charlie’s corner all along. I’ll be back on that bandwagon so hard Charlie won’t even believe I was gone for a couple of years.

Agreed.

Seems like a vet for youngun swap at the same position makes sense, with the Pirates adding prospects to get it done.

63. cmat0829 says:

I’m going to duck for cover after this post, but did you see the “heat chart” for Cutch 2013 vs. 2012? It was painfully obvious that this year he is “pull happy” and last year he focused on hitting to right center field. I know players want to pull for the power, but how is this approach working out for Cutch? His slugging percentage is WAY down.

I want Cutch to sit and watch tape of the allstar players on the teams we are facing… Exhibit A is Joey Votto… what does his ‘heat chart’ look like… seems to me he focuses on opposite field, like his HR last night. Ryan Braun (even though I despise him) seems to use all fields. We already have the Pujols example and actual statement he made a few years ago about Cutch…’if he would use the whole field, you will see him blossom into a premier power hitter’.

Why Cutch, are you not going to right center this year? Why?

Disclaimer: I LOVE Cutch and he is far from the biggest offensive concern. LETS GO BUCS.

64. cmat0829 says:

yuck, no, he is Ryan Ludwick 2011.

Which starting pitcher has a long term injury problem?

Yes, if executed well, Charlie’s formula is what wins in that place.

I really thought Liriano was going to totally shut them down last night. He pitched well, but they couldn’t score off Leake. Leake has now given up 6 ER in the last 47 or 48 innings. Wow!

Barmes will need to look around for a new team in the off-season. I believe he will find somewhere around 0 teams looking for his services at starter $$. He could very well be back at a cap-friendly #.

69. cmat0829 says:

My only wish at the deadline is that we either use $$ to go with veterans that are reasonable upgrades (Soriano, etc.) OR go big for someone like Stanton of Miami and use 1-2 top 10 prospects.

I do NOT want them to use prospects for players that will only be here for 2013… a one-game wildcard playin is not worth giving up 6 years of Taillon or Polanco.

Whoever it is, and it may be a couple of guys, needs to be able to hit LHP, right? I think they’ll look for a back-up outfielder and someone to take the spot Ingey is trying to give away.

Ryan Ludwick 2012 was the Ryan Ludwick to have, unfortunately.

72. Soriano refused to come to Pgh. last year. Has he changed his mind?

73. Matt hoffman says:

100 on the under. Thanks

They sell a CD on the Gunner, its excellent, if you can pick one up, I highly recommend it. I think its done by Voices of Baseball, but I can check if interested.

75. JD says:

100 on the over please. Go Bucs!

I think he’s more willing to be moved this year, or so I’ve read.

77. Jason81 says:

100 on the OVER, please!

Ha, funny you mention that.

Willingham was a trade target in 2011, if you remember, and only went on to slug 14 home runs after the deadline and 35 last year with the Twins.

I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Batting Kozma, their young shortstop, 8th in front of the pitcher.

I believe I read NH being quoted as saying something to the effect that he’ll have to see what is out there, but that he likes the everyday lineup. I took that to mean he has no plans on trading away a top prospect. Of course, you never know who might come available.

I’d be ok with Soriano off the bench, but there’s no way he’d agree to a trade unless he was told he’d be starting. And, he is soooo very bad in the field.

ARam is a major piece, cmat. Doesn’t he have 2 more years on his deal in 8-digit territory? He’s one of the best fielding 3b in the league, and his ego will not allow him to back-up Pedro. I think that one is a tough one, and Milwaukee would insist on a huge haul for him.

I like your idea of a RH hitting OF. I’m in that camp. Tabby cannot be trusted. His muscle pulls go on forever.

Our pen is fine, IMO. Hopefully, we don’t need that starting pitcher. But, the way things are going anything is possible.

Inge must go! As I said last week, he’s just playing for tattoo money now.

I always liked him, but I haven’t followed him this year.

They even have one on our old friend Milo ;-)

Haha, just in time for his eventual string of poor outings.

I’d like to hear about where to get that, Biz.

See above

I am not a Neal fan (big disclosure), but even with the win or be fired mantra, I don’t think he’d pull a DL Morris deal or give up the future to save his job. Of course, I was shocked when DL did the Morris deal.

Ok.

88. Lad9 says:

Willingham struggling in 2013 and just got a cortisone shot in his knee. That being said, he might be available on the cheap, he has averaged 32 HR’s over the last two years, and he is only 34. Would be worth a flyer if the price is not too high.

If you put any stock in the “batting average on balls in play” theory, he’s about to improve on his current .211/.352/.411 slash line significantly.

His ML average BABIP is .294 and has never deviated more than 10 points in any single season. Very steady.

His current BABIP is .256. I’d take a chance on that.

Send it to frankie. :-)

Maybe I’ll sell high on Charlie before then.

92. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I’m on the CM bandwagon. Have been the whole time.

93. Lad9 says:

Mr Playoffs. 100 gourdes on the over today in that bandbox. Thank you so much for doing this. Go Buccos!

94. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window….time to see what this team is made of, hopefully in a perfect world we get to see Grilli pitching in the ninth tonight and maybe a can buzz the light tower one time. Important game for Morton, not as high on him as some others, I just hope he can limit the amount of base runners this evening and keep his sinker down.

As for the line tonight…

50 on the UNDER

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

Would we have more years on Willingham?

NH and his team of back room numbers geeks love BABIP.

+ 1 on both of the above

97. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

A pair of 2 run homers?

I don’t think he’ll do much

Doesn’t want to mess up the chemistry ;-)

99. BostonsCommon says:

I’m not sure Tabata is going anywhere, he’s guaranteed $11.5M over the next year. Now for an actual major league baseball player, that is pretty reasonable…

For a weak hitting RF, who cant hit lefties, can’t pinch, can’t even stay on the field for that matter. I just don’t see anyone taking him.

100. JRay3 says:

50 in the UNDER…thanks.

101. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Cap-friendly? What is this “cap” you speak of?

This is baseball!! They will not have that type of language in this game!

102. BostonsCommon says:

Next 3 years*

I’m going with 100 on the UNDER, and hope I lose.

104. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Was just gonna say…….

105. Bill Born says:

Over the 3.5 for 100-
    Please

Ironically, I think his own arrogance saves the franchise from that type of move.

I can’t see him saving his job by selling off the future he worked so hard to build. Even if it’s obvious to everyone else that he might not be around to see it.

107. radio wave says:

At playoffs: I will take 50 on the under for tonight. Thank you

108. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Too many to choose from right now and nobody will admit to being sellers at this point. Flip that coin and some teams (Reds) may hit the skids and become sellers at the last minute.

Arriba brings a good question to my mind. NMR has alluded to it as well.

Has it specifically been said that the big club needs to have a winning record in order for NH to save his job?

Does the state of the ML system play any role in that evaluation?

Just wondering because over the last 12 mo. or so, our ML system has taken a sharp upturn in the eyes of many serious observers.

If Nutting feels the development system has really starting bearing fruit, post Hoka Hey, does he fire NH? I actually think NH’s standing in MLB is now much stronger than a lot of people around Pgh think. I hear him receiving quite a bit of praise from outside the organization. Just wondering about everyone’s take.

Agree totally.

112. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Why does it seem the Pirates are always looking for the same players??

Thanks.

One more, Jim. Twins have him at a relatively inexpensive $7m in 2014.

They’re also absolutely atrotious on the mound, both at the big league level and in the upper minors.

Guys like Morton, Locke, McPherson – hell even Irwin – would improve their starting rotation.

115. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

It was presumed by an interview (DK?) had with BN.

BN expected them to win this year and didn’t come right out and say it, but made it sound like this was their year to get it done………or else.

Yikes.

117. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I WANTED MARCO LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid Giants….at least Sabean listened to me.

I hope your loyalty is rewarded.

119. Brandie says:

Hopefully with Martin catching, that settles him down.

120. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Do you have a pitching chart to go along with that “heat chart?”

Might answer your own question with that.

121. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Refused? I dont recall that.

Our fearless leader has adamantly stated, over and over, that Based on his discussions with Nutting it’s win or be fired. Does breaking the streak satisfy that or do they have to compete for a playoff spot deep into September? Not clear to me, but I think DK has at least set breaking the streak as the minimum for Nutting. And, personally, I don’t see them being fired if they break the streak, absent a collapse at least as bad as last year.

This goes back to Nutting’s quote over the offseason about contending for the playoffs.

Terribly ambiguous, obviously, which leads me personally to believe he’ll use every reason possible to keep him.

If the team finishes with a winning record and avoids collapse, they’ll likely be within 5-7 games of the 2nd wildcard. Nobody should be surprised if Nutting considers that “contending”.

124. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

misfired. I wouldn’t worry about that.

No, Tabbby is trade proof at the moment.

126. JUCOFan says:

100 on the over

Let me revise that, Jim. I’m not sure if that was a direct quote or something Dejan paraphrased from their conversation.

Whatever the case, its never, ever as simple as “win or be fired” makes it out to be. Not with this Front Office.

128. BostonsCommon says:

I don’t know how cheap Willingham would come. He’s got about $4M remain on his deal for this season, and $7 next year, which is incredibly reasonable considering Tabata is going to get $3M just to put heating pads all over his body.

Are you insinuating he’s getting busted inside more often?

Wasn’t the opposite true last year in the second half?

NMR,

I don’t see us giving up our #1 starter, Jeff Locke.

Irwin and McPherson have to get healthy, but they can have either of them. Or Straight out of Cumpton. He might be a good MLB pitcher.

I don’t know if any of them fetches (Ty) Willingham or not. But, I think your point is they need pitching and we can give them a decent pkg w/o touching our key components.

131. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Jones is what he is. He won’t get any better and hopefully won’t get any worse.

He is a very streaky hitter

132. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

eh, 100 on the OVER….

I assume you said that kiddingly, Nor Cal. The Reds are strong, unfortunately. Nothing would make me happier than to see them fall apart, but I don’t see it.

134. Nate83 says:

Nobody currently. I was just saying if somebody such as Wandy or Burnett end up having prolonged injuries then that may be the route they go. We are still some 35-40 games away from the deadline I believe. Alot of thing can happen in that mount of time that would change what they trade for.

At the very least there were rumors of that. Not saying there was a specific deal he rejected, but I remember hearing what Biz is talking about.

136. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Jose Bautista comes back to the Pirates

I agree that he doesn’t have much value, but I think you underestimate the chances major league teams are willing to take.

Relatively young, good pedigree, one season removed from back-to-back campaigns with an OBP around .350, and hitting well so far this year.

The Reds willingly paid a 34 yo Ryan Ludwick $15m for just two seasons of work last winter. $11m over three years for Tabby is far from crazy.

138. cosmo says:

100 on the over. thinking BIG tonight.

139. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Making $14 Mil over the next 3 years with an option for the same price.

I see that as somewhat reasonable for his past production, but is he starting on the decline? Only 32, decent power numbers thus far.

Go for it!

Agree, NMR, I don’t think there were any quotes from the BN private conversation. If memory serves, there was no recording, either.

If Vernon Wells is tradeable, Tabby should be a breeze.

Should be interesting, to say the least.

143. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Hopeful, yes Jim.

144. Brandie says:

Please give me 50 on the under Mr. Playoffs. I hope they score more. Thanks.

145. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I’m still not completly sold on Willingham.

His contract calls for a million dollar increase after a certain amount of PA’s.

But who knows, maybe a change of scenery guy.

It has been made abundantly clear in Chicago this year that Soriano would be much more agreeable to a trade this year than last. He is tired of losing.

I still say we don’t want him unless he agrees to just be a PH and once a week starter. He won’t agree to that, so no go.

147. cosmo says:

Biz, Neat site, but no Lanny CD.

148. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Pure speculation on my part.

149. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Eh, OK…I dont remember that all, but I’ll go with it.

If he proves he can be healthy for the entire 2nd half of the season, and hit .280 someone would want him. I think Vernon was untradeable until the Yankees lost everyone.

Me, too. I really detest that team.

I mean what Lucky was talking about.

Well, now, if people are going to just start speculating on this blog …

No surprise there. :-P

Good luck to the Bucs tonight.

Big game for our 11U’s. I-80 championship semi-finals. We’ve been slumping. My kid needs to start raking again! See ya’ all.

156. blazer says:

Time for a high scoring game with thi slineup (I hope anyway). 100 on the over!

157. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

And their fans

158. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

You’re right, it might get outta hand..

Honestly though, Cutch found a bit of power last year, he’s still fairly young. They tend to try and pull more often looking for the HR.

I agree that if he finds the RC approach he’ll take off again. That’s assuming he’s lost that approach.

I hope not.

160. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Right…figured that.

Good luck!

Just for fun, we should all get together & vote Clint Barmes into the All Star Game. It would be hilarious.

163. Brandie says:

That would be playing responsible baseball. Believe me, I want the bats to wake up. This bipolar offense wears me out.

Hopefully the team eliminates any ambiguity.

And fwiw, I don’t believe Dejan was wrong or misleading with the “win or be fired” mantra, simply more confident that Bob Nutting would follow through than I am.

165. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Sonja Henie is out, I say we go with Danny Noonan.

Hey, if AJ Burnett can tear his calf muscle shooting sporting clays at 7springs, anything is possible.

Love that league name, Jim.

Don’t worry, the BABIP gods are due to regress your son back to normal! :)

168. BostonsCommon says:

Then why can’t Hurdle adjust the lineup accordingly? I mean he bounces Walker and Martin, and more recently Mercer, around the lineup.

Those basically his only two power weapons, and he needs to maximize their production. The fact that they’re both streaky hitters only magnifies it. Pedro is mashing right now, get him in the 4 hole and take advantage of it.

In a roundabout way, I agree with that last sentence.

Just because a guy like Pedro or Cutch is pull-heavy doesn’t necessarily mean that is his approach. It’s really, really hard to hit ML pitching, and even harder to hit opposite field. Doing it consistantly is what separates most of the elite hitters from the good ones.

170. Karen22 says:

100-OVER

I think Nutting shot him. Drives his price down. Unless it was Dick Cheney of course. Or the dude from Chevy that shot Kenny in the face on Mad Men. All are plausible.

Maybe the children that cover the team on a daily basis could tear themselves away from their pie charts & check it out.

172. cmat0829 says:

yes, good point, but seems to me a good amount of his HRs last year were to right field, so not sure the ‘pull approach’ = power. But yes I havent looked at the pitching charts but I dont think they are pitching him a ton differently than last year but that’s just conjecture.

173. Brandie says:

Best of luck tonight.

174. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – wanted to let you know today in the mail the item for top finish in May arrived…thanks.

A small piece of advice for the Pirates from Clint Hurdle on down. Shut up.

And about the beat children covering last night’s game for the two Pittsburgh dailies. They should both be fired. Get Vince McMahon to do it, he loves that stuff.

Regarding the discussion on the trading deadline….isn’t it 6 weeks away?!

With this team who knows what they’ll need by then. If the deadline was tomorrow they would need a starting pitcher – - or two.

I just heard Neal Huntington. He needs to shut up too.

179. Frankie says:

100 on over

Thanks

180. Brandie says:

Who doesn’t need to shut up? Don’t run your mouth until you have proven something. Even then, act like you’ve been there before.

181. BostonsCommon says:

True… But would Huntington have taken a chance on a young, good pedigree, former first rounder, “dripping with power” player, if he had an $11.5M price tag?

Okay, so maybe Tabata isn’t trade-proof. But with his value as low as it currently is, you’re almost better off NOT trading him, and hoping he regains some value over the next year or two, right? Either way, I don’t seem him going in a trade this year, and I definitely don’t see him bringing back any kind of return.

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE – added 5/21
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE – added 5/21
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*

364 locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh
    Rocky Blier*
    First Responders***
    20 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    6/18/2013 5:51 PM

Just something to talk about, TC

Nuttin more

184. Brandie says:

In the land of “What have you done for me lately?”, no one is trade proof.

185. Dadtackular says:

100 bean balls on the under

186. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

No doubt TC, but its always fun to talk about.

That pretty much takes care of it right there.

188. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Been there done that Jim. Coached my oldest from 12u-14u and now my 10 year old wants me to start a team for him………

189. pattonbb says:

I like it too. I also like this batting order.

190. pattonbb says:

100 Under.

Thanks!

191. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Didn’t DK recently say that Sanchez was having some throwing issues that included to the mound?

192. Reading says:

Murtaugh served in WWII in the infantry, and should get an asterisk.

193. bman says:

@playoffs

30 on the OVER please

194. He did. And he has 12 errors already.

100 UNDER.

Good Luck to a swell person who understood my view this morning.

May they sweep the tourney! :)

197. Brandie says:

Hello Hipposter!

Hi Brandie!!

199. Barb says:

Is that were he tore the muscle, really?

200. Barb says:

Barb – Charleroi, PA

That’s our little secret. We just wanted to start a rumor. Feel free to pass it along. :)

202. Brandie says:

You have been on my mind all day. I hope you are doing okay, dear friend. :-)

203. Playoffs by 2012 says:

My hope for tonight is two-fold.

No one on either team gets hit.
    Pirates score more runs than the Reds.

204. Brandie says:

Another Pot Stirrer!

205. Barb says:

So what odds are you giving that one of the Pirates won’t get hit?

206. Brandie says:

+ Many, many,many

207. Barb says:

Hi Brandie. Isn’t it fun to be a pot stirrer?

208. Playoffs by 2012 says:

YOU
    GOT
    IT

209. Barb says:

It’ll break the bank!

210. OZ says:

100 over

Thanks Brandie. :)

I will be ok, as long as I dont engage the asshats on this blog. What transpired this morning was classless. Amazingly, after I got out of that crap, it continued for a long time afterwards.

This blog turned into Bob Smizik’s blog today……. and that is not good. We had it all, attacks, goalpost-moving, strawmen, snarkiness………… disgusting. So I know now who NOT to engage here. I will let those “experts” fight it out amongst themselves.

I will just swim around.

Hope you are doing well also. :)

212. Karen22 says:

I’ve absolutely noticed this (as has my son)—definitely pull-happy, and I think it’s hurting him so far, despite the nearly .300 BA. I love Cutch, too. He’s a highly intelligent ballplayer, and I have faith that he will figure it all out in the long run. Amazing talent.

213. Brandie says:

Otherwise known as straws who stir the drink…it can be a lot of fun. Just be careful the pot doesn’t fall on top of you. :-)

Maybe they could exchange a bouquet of flowers when they hand in the lineup cards.

215. Brandie says:

Doing okay. Ready to have some fun.

216. Lad9 says:

Wow. Nice start. Speed kills!

217. Playoffs by 2012 says:

WINDOW is CLOSED

Bob Walk hates Brandon Phillips.

I am not too find of him either

219. Barb says:

I’d give a bouquet of poison ivy.

220. Brandie says:

Sounds sweet.

221. OZ says:

Be the ball, Danny.

222. Patrick(ri) says:

Best thing about a lead-off triple . . . CH cant bunt!

223. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Don’t they do that in soccer?

224. Lad9 says:

+100,000

225. JRay3 says:

Need to cash in here and get Martin home after that great effort by him to swipe second, Russell be nimble, Russell be quick

Cheers to ROOT for adding the number of pitches thrown to the score box.

227. Barb says:

Russell jumped over that candlestick.

C’mon Walker

229. Barb says:

So that’s what that is. I couldn’t figure out what those extra numbers were for.

230. Lad9 says:

Agree. That is a really nice addition.

231. Barb says:

Go Pedro. Make him pay for loading the bases.

232. Patrick(ri) says:

Latos ‘ fast ball looks straight — Pedro might smack one.

233. JRay3 says:

El Toro with one of the longest singles you will see, but it produces two runs and Bucs jumping all over Latos…sweet.

More adventures in baserunning.

235. Barb says:

Yes, even though it wasn’t a homer still got two runs in. YES!

236. JRay3 says:

Cost Sanchez a sac fly….no excuse for Walker to be at second.

237. Playoffs by 2012 says:

If Walker ever wants to get paid like the Brandon Phillips of the world, he needs to learn to play like the Brandon Phillips of the world.

Costs them a run.

239. Patrick(ri) says:

+1. Wouldn’t it be nice to see a complete game w/o a base running gaffe?

240. Brandie says:

Latos sucks…Pirates must embrace that and take quick advantage…the best revenge is a thorough butt whoopin’!

241. Barb says:

Let the whipping begin.

242. Patrick(ri) says:

Would that include more grandstanding and increased bone-headed plays?

243. Lad9 says:

The Buccos appear to be Latos intolerant this evening! :)

244. Lad9 says:

Way to go Chuck! Woo hoo!

Everybody happy now ?

246. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Now that someone got hit, everyone can rest their sphincters.

247. Keith says:

Well, not much time was wasted…

love it lol

249. Barb says:

Message received loud and clear. Saw Latos yapping at Chuck. We’ll see what happens in the 2nd. Greg Brown should be happy.

250. JRay3 says:

Well Morton stands up for his teammates, certainly just adds more gasoline to this already simmering fire.

speak for yourself :)

252. bman says:

Yep!

And no warning issued. Ain’t over. Charlie leads off the 2nd & Latos is a loose cannon.

Stay classy, Playoffs.

Seems some can dish it out but they can’t take it ;)

256. tdb1977 says:

Semi buzz of the tower on Votto.

Hi Jandy!

Thanks to you and Jim for sticking up for my position today.
    I was so disgusted at that crap this morning, thats why I left, and I was debating not coming back in here tonight.

Hipposter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

259. pattonbb says:

No warning?

Boy, I’d hate to be Marte or McCutchen right now. Guess where Latos’ first pitch to one of them will be.

I like Joey Votto. Stayed right in the box after the high and hard one.

Darling Hippo, they were all over me before they were all over you. I was so pissed I had to leave the blog so I wouldn’t get myself banned.

262. Karen22 says:

I LIKE IT! WAY TO GO, CHARLIE!!

263. Lad9 says:

Really nice that he threw a DP ball to erase Choo after the message.

264. Barb says:

Well the Reds started it. Last year that is. Finally we are standing up to the bullies in the class.

265. pattonbb says:

Far from over. Now everyone gets to watch a Pirate get drilled. No warning issued.

Ok my Dish just went out. dayum

267. Brandie says:

Nice!!! Need Beano!

amen to that barb

269. stuart66 says:

Thank you Charlie, for sharing our view on this issue.

Stuart

+many

272. pattonbb says:

They won’t be standing up to them until they beat them, regardless to how many people get hit.

but that won’t stop me from coming here and talking to my favorite Bucco fans :)

The boy took his girlfriend to the zoo today. I don’t know why seeing you reminded me of that. :)

275. Barb says:

Well that stinks.

276. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Gotta like top of 2 and your pitcher leads off.

Also like 6 pitches in the 1st inning.

But are we seriously still talking about the beanball?

Hey Brandie :)

279. Playoffs by 2012 says:

It’s from Blazing Saddles.
    Relax brother.

280. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I can never remember my name on here from one computer to the other……..

Oh, I know.

Last time I ever ask a question on a sensitive topic.
    Last time I ever address 2 posters here.
    I do know if DK was here this morning, that crap would have been put to a stop fast.

I just want to have an enjoyable evening.
    Based on what transpired this morning, I guess I will have to be careful.
    Shame what this blog turned into today.
    Shameful.

282. pattonbb says:

I’ve never liked Votto. Watched him act like a spoiled child too many times when a call goes against him.

283. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

But I like top 2 and the pitcher leading off.

I also like CM getting through 1 inning on 6 pitches.

But are we seriously still talking about the bean ball?

284. Brandie says:

Can we just play ball now and have the Pirates just handle their business? All beanings aside…I WANT THE WIN(S)!!!!

Not every day you get to see a Hippo with a blindfold on. :)

hey Stuart :)

287. pattonbb says:

Latos struck Marte out without throwing one single strike.

288. tdb1977 says:

I will only be happy when we take the last 3 games of this series and we put the Reds in our rear view mirror before we go and play some American League teams.

sure does barb :/

I thought Blazing Saddles was what happened this morning when everyone’s pants were on fire on the other thread??? ;)

291. JRay3 says:

Marte is going to have start demonstrating an ability to lay off pitches outside the zone, that was six pitches and not one was a strike.

292. Brandie says:

Playing the world’s smallest violin for all of the Joey Vottos of the world.

Beating them will be the icing on the cake…

294. Brandie says:

Hope it comes back soon.

+ many.

296. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Hope you aren’t referring to me boss.
    I thought I kept a pretty level head in there.

For me it goes like this…
    I just don’t get the argument.

They hit our guy intentionally.
    That’s BS.

The only way to get even is to hit one of their guys intentionally.
    But that somehow isn’t BS?

Where did it go to?? ;)

No need to be careful Hippo, just be you :)

299. JRay3 says:

Yes that was the best redemption of all.

No I wasnt referring to you.
    Relax, Boss. :)

301. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Yes, just like when we go back to Milwaukee, all that will be talked about is Miller Park.
    Friggin’ Groundhog Day sometimes.

Cincinnati prolly sheesh

fear the Canadians….. :)

304. Brandie says:

To the game. It had a Group on.

Oh no, Jandy, that wasnt allowed today.

People looking for a fight………. I dont have time for those assclowns.

Like I said, I will just come in and fool around.
    No substantative talk form me.
    No discussing “hot” issues.

I will just swim around with my blindfold on.

Nothing to see here, just move along……

306. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I’m all sorts of relaxed man.
    It’s baseball and it’s a blog.

Far bigger things in the world to worry about brother.

agreed

308. pattonbb says:

FYI – for fellow out of towners, mlb has the game on since the Yankee and Dodgers game was postponed.

I am all sorts of relaxed too. :)

I just did not, in any way, shape or form appreciate what happened this morning. It was shameful.

I would hope others share my view on that, but I dont know that they do.

That could apply to more than a few of our hitters.

:-)

311. Playoffs by 2012 says:

My imagination or is Chuckles throwing a lot of breaking pitches tonight?

Just for the record Playofffs, it wasn’t the argument that got to me, thats fine. It was the attitude and ignorant comments that got to me.

314. Lad9 says:

Hey Brandie! One dose of Beano coming right up.

Well, you just make sure you check in and chat with your friends, hear? :)

316. Barb says:

Love it another 1-2-3 inning.

317. JRay3 says:

Through two innings- Latos 48 pitches, Morton 17 pitches. Like to see the life on Morton fastball as he his between 94-97. Encouraging start.

yay! It’s back :)

lol

320. pattonbb says:

fear the Canadian Bacon….

Hey Karen, how are ya lady???

Yes Mother Teresa!

325. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I understand completely.
    That’s why I tried to approach it from a respectful and historical angle.
    In the end it’s just baseball.
    No need for us to have any sort of hostility towards each other.

326. Lad9 says:

Wow. The work thing has been killing my blog time during the day. I have to go back and see what the trolls pulled today. Please, Hippo and Jandy, don’t let those clowns keep you away. You both (and Brandie) add immeasurably to this place and are a big reason I come here. Maybe we need to get Gandalf and Aragorn and go troll hunting!

Agreed.

Respectfully, you need to say that to the troublemakers this morning. Really. Hippos dont do the hostility thing well.

Hence, the blindfold in my avatar. ;)

328. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Did he hit 97? I saw 95, that’s awesome.

329. Lad9 says:

Not your imagination. Definitely mixing it up. Love how he is throwing.

330. Parrothead01 says:

The pirates must have to play like little leaguers. They have to take until they get a strike. Latos keeps throwing first pitch fastballs for strikes and keep taking them and then swinging at the second pitch slider.

331. Brandie says:

Nice tie to Lord of the Rings. Throw in Legolas too.

LOL Lad, it will take more than a few mean-spirited trolls to keep me away. But thanks for the kind words, you’ve made my evening :)
    I’m sure Hippo and Brandie feel the same.

I wonder if Dejan has finished cleaning his garage yet ?

334. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Of the 2 plays there, Gabby’s was the most difficult. Jones must made his look that way. When he’s in the OF, reminds me that he’s a decent 1B.

Ha ha

335. Brandie says:

What she said. Glad we cash bring joy, Lad9.

336. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Or, the pitch is out of their zone, which is the most likely cause.

There are just a few I won’t bother to interact with any longer. Simple as that.

338. Brandie says:

Cash should read can. Duh!

Garrett Jones has made himself into a very nice ML player with hard work, and practice.
    He will never be an all-star, but he is a nice piece for the Pirates to have.

340. Brandie says:

Well all right!

Yeah, but Jandy, you dont have an awesome blindfold in your avatar! ;)

342. Brandie says:

That is what this team is built on, not a lot of stars, but a lot of hustle and heart. Like many if us folks on this here blog.

hustle and heart…and loyalty to team mates :)

344. Brandie says:

Good evening Karen.

345. Lad9 says:

Thanks. :) isn’t it funny how even in an anonymous forum, people can’t hide what they are? Really easy to pick out the good folks as well as those who must go around looking like they ate a lemon the size of Pedro.

They obviously plan on winning this game 3-0.

Brandie…………..

I am a Hippo, I do not hustle.
    And I dont have a heart.

I just have big teeth. ;)

Don’t need one, Hipposter, I have an ignore button ;)

seems that way, eh, Milo?

For those of you wondering where DK is, this pic proves he is sleeping in Point State Park………………..

351. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Loyalty to teammates?

Seriously?

352. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

1 more run would be nice so the OVER wins….

You do so have a heart, Hippo, you don’t fool Mother Theresa and I bet you don’t fool Brandie either!

But it still a W against Dusty’s Dorks! ;)

355. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

So it seems…I’ve seen no such retaliation. If the pitch to Votto was, it was a weak attempt.

Great play by Mercer

357. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Jordy just about put that whole “arm strength” debate to bed. No question about his arm on that play.

Cozart is not slow.

358. Lad9 says:

Mercer showing he does have a major league arm. Clint who?

Did the lemon wear its cap over its ears?? ;)

Barmes, or Hurdle?? ;)

361. Brandie says:

And the Hippo’s heart grew three sizes that day…If you did not have a heart, you would not have been cheering me on in my search for meaningful. employment. You don’t full me dear.

both?

363. JRay3 says:

+1….that was a cannon of a throw.

364. Lad9 says:

Hee hee.

365. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I think Clint makes that play also though.

366. Barb says:

+many

367. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Under 40 pitches thru 4 innings is a remarkable outing. This is how you pitch a complete game in today’s baseball.

Liking what I see outta CM, so far. Still a lot of game to play against a tough lineup.

368. Brandie says:

Dripping with…sarcasm. I like it.

Guess I need to work on that, huh?

ZING!

371. Brandie says:

Oh! Mercer, Mercer me!

372. pattonbb says:

Latos has struck out every starter except Gaby.

LOL!

374. Brandie says:

Sweetie…you have had a tough time lately. Remember, there is no timetable on getting yourself sorted out. I do that each and every day. To tie this back to sports, look at how long it has taken for the Pirates to sort themselves out. Everyone, even the trolls, is a work in some state of progress or regress.

No way. Doesn’t have the arm strength.

376. Lad9 says:

Except Clint makes the play while hitting .198 vs .290

+many

378. Brandie says:

How can Canada mess up bacon?

Thank You all.

:D

Dayum

Excellent! I’ve been a Barmes supporter. But Jordy has stepped it up. As long as he keeps it up, he’s the man.

He is also up to 88 pitches already !!! :)

383. Brandie says:

I do look like Animal in the fact that I am tiny. I act like Animal in the fact that I am loud and cute!

384. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Sure he does, doesn’t lack there just the ability to hit a ball.

uh-oh!

386. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Exactly…not supporting Barmes on this at all, just glad to see Mercer make a legit, difficult play like that.

387. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Strike em out, don’t care, get to the pen.

388. Brandie says:

Consistency is a key in building a winning team. Again, that is everyone’s responsibility. I am a Mercer Maniac so long as he is hustling on each and every play each and every day.

Beautiful

390. JRay3 says:

Best scenarios all around, Morton escapes getting the groundout and it also chases Latos early. Time to add on here against Parra.

We’re up by 3 and I’m glad their starter is finally out of the game

392. Brandie says:

You called? No, really, this team is doing a good job so far. Mercer is definitely playing like a star tonight.

So about 50 minutes ago, I jumped into the car after a business function. Didn’t have time to read (still haven’t) but saw that they were 2.5 innings and 49 minutes into the game and there were THREE HUNDRED THIRTY TWO POSTS.

What the heck is going on?

STILL don’t know but now there are over 400 posts and the game is only two-thirds over.

What the heck is going on ????????

lol good one Brandie!

We miss you Drew dahling :)

396. pattonbb says:

cake is gooooood…..

397. Brandie says:

We are a mouthy bunch!

398. Lad9 says:

Well said!

400. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Still celebrating a HB

Like the old telephone company plans, we just want to get our moneys worth. :)

402. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

And a bunch of crying about this morning’s vacation thread.

403. Brandie says:

Maybe he can find the career of James McDonald buried in there.

404. florida steeler says:

Boy, this team cannot hit–it is great they are somehow winning games. And, they don’t run the bases very well either.

405. Brandie says:

Reach out and touch someone.

406. Brandie says:

Perfectly imperfect.

407. Lad9 says:

Lot going on for a 3-0 game. The Buccos got physical!

woah!

409. cosmo says:

or Jimmy Hoffa

Nice, Martin :)

411. Eric Bowser says:

This team couldn’t hit Danny Almonte if he was tossing beach balls.

412. florida steeler says:

Great way to say it !!!!!

413. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

That’s how you throw a runner out! Also the right call by the Reds to send the runner, just glad Martin was there and not The Fort.

414. Brandie says:

I am itching to see the Bucs score more runs.

415. pattonbb says:

Martin’s arm is stronger than it’s ever been.

Steroids?

Morton gets pulled after 61 pitches.

No steroids there.

Yes, our Brandie has a way with words ;)

417. Brandie says:

This team couldn’t hit water if it fell out of a boat.

:snicker:

419. Brandie says:

Something we can agree on.

420. Barb says:

I’m with your Brandie. Whenever we are in this park especially balls seem to fly over the fences.

They might if they could swing a telephone pole ;)

422. cosmo says:

Is he still in Little League?

423. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Great job by Charlie. That’s what he brings to this rotation. Would’ve liked to see him get through the 6th, but no complaints.

Great job by Charlie tonight. And he pitched well too.

425. Brandie says:

In blog parlance…:thwap:

426. Eric Bowser says:

Stupid… Morton throws what 61 pitches and they yank him.

427. Eric Bowser says:

I’m sure we can find one that fits the description.

Ouch! :P

429. Brandie says:

Gotcha… Just want to see the good guys do it.

431. JRay3 says:

It’s no wonder the Bucs bullpen has thrown some of the most innings in baseball, what is the logic pulling Morton at 61 pitches and relatively cruising along?

Zing! (but both are true)

433. Barb says:

Eric I would err on the side of caution with Charlie. He definitely pitched better tonight than he did is first outing.

two french fries short of a Happy Meal. Who gets the toy?

435. Eric Bowser says:

I would have agreed if he was near 80 pitches.

Walk is not impressed with Phillips

Tommy John surgery

Lad,

I just wanted to commend you on your post above stating how you can tell what people are, agendas, etc.
    Spot on, sir.

I humbly bow to your wisdom and knowledge.

Puss in Boots ;)

Good job my dear Watson

441. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Man that got dangerous but ended well.

He** yeah my Brother

443. Barb says:

Meow, purrrrrrrrrr!

444. cosmo says:

Let’s score a couple more runs and put this game away.

445. tdb1977 says:

I think Dusty and his boys need to have their collective diaper changed tonight. They have laid a big smelly turd tonight.

446. Lad9 says:

Elementary, my dear Watson. Now lets get some runs!

lol

448. JRay3 says:

He was throwing 80-100 pitches in rehab at Indy, CH has to learn to trust his starters.

GMTA

450. Eric Bowser says:

I’ll settle for a base hit….

451. tdb1977 says:

And this could all change in the next set of at-bats.

452. pattonbb says:

I don’t like it either, but I can see the logic. Clint’s going to protect Charlie’s arm and he knows he has the best bullpen in baseball.

453. Lad9 says:

Simulpost! :)

454. Eric Bowser says:

Dusty is used to that… just ask Cubs fans

2003

455. cosmo says:

That’ll start it.

The Reds are showing that they are thirsty for a win

Partched

458. cosmo says:

Have they gotten any hits since the first inning?

Someone got that one
    :-)

Wow, Partch walks Jordy in 4 pitches

461. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Glad to hear that.
    That thing is in pretty good shape for a 1989-1990 relic, eh?

On cable (TCM), Three Coins In The Fountain is playing.

Just thought I’d share

Trust me, i got a lot today

Is Dejan one of the coins?

HIT!

466. Eric Bowser says:

Like I said, I want a base hit.

and RUN!

468. Barb says:

Heads or tails?

469. Playoffs by 2012 says:

This calls for the old Billy-Baroo!

470. cosmo says:

There we go.

ask and ye shall receive

472. Barb says:

Ask and you shall receive.

473. JRay3 says:

Marte drills a 0-2 pitch for Bucs first hit and run since first, and an important insurance run that is. Two hit night for Marte.

haha jinx

The bunt is our friend!

476. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Giants fans, 2002….No Bartman incident though.

477. Barb says:

Great minds think a like.

478. Lad9 says:

Huge. And I had the over!

Ask Drew, it’s his story ;)

480. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I was thinking more about hitting over 300, and becoming an All Star.

All tails, trust me. ;)

I am a Hippo.
    I dont run.
    Hell, on most days, a waddle is an effort. ;)

You 2 owe me a Coke. ;)

yup!

and a smile :)

You are a sharp cookie tonight! :)

487. Barb says:

Okay where and when?

Each one seeking happiness.
    Thrown by three hopeful lovers.
    Which one will the fountain bless ?

;)

490. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

And even better for those with the OVER today.

491. Reading says:

Dude has ringlet curls.

I’m having Cap’n n Coke right now

493. Lad9 says:

They had to be thirsty after that long Leake yesterday….

494. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

On the fence with this one. I would’ve liked to see him finish off the 6th. Semi-understand the move though.

495. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Ok

well then keep waddling along!

and the winner…issssss…..

498. Barb says:

Lord Fauntleroy’s grandson.

Our fountain is better than theirs. Or so I hear

hahahahaaaa

501. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Cinncy was ranked 3rd (not sure if it still holds that rank) as the most HR-friendly ballparks.

Reds put that on display last night, hope they stay cold tonight.

502. Lad9 says:

Down goes Frazier!

504. cosmo says:

so did I. Need to get off the negative side of the ledger.

Watson on a roll

Not exactly water into wine, eh? ;)

Great. Now I’m singing that song.

509. Barb says:

Absolutely.

Oh I like my wine too, just wanted some Cap’n tonite :)

511. cosmo says:

Nice job by Watson after giving up a double to Votto, 5 in a row.

512. Brandie says:

Sharp wit there, Lad9.

Sorry. It’ll be 1st in the rotation for me tomorrow morning. I never need an excuse to start the day with Sinatra.

“Referee Arthur Mercante has stopped the fight !!”

Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles and Three Coins in the Fountain all referenced in tonight’s game thread.

Nothing from this millennium yet.

It’s pretty bad when Lunchbox steals on ya…just sayin’

517. Excellent pitching by Tony Watson for 1 2/3 without allowing a run, or even Charlie’s leftovers.

Hurdle proves once again he knows his pitchers.

Toss him some Scooby snacks

519. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Nice to see that the Pirates aren’t the only one with an incompetent back up catcher….

520. Playoffs by 2012 says:

+ MANY

521. JD says:

Definitely a lot of crying. I thought Hippos had thick skins. Guess not.

522. Brandie says:

Time for Melancon.

Nice K. that’s two…one more Melancon…for the eighth inning

YES! another K!

525. JRay3 says:

Melancon just filthy on 13 pitches to get a 1-2-3 8th.

527. Lad9 says:

Sick third strike by Melancon. We got to the Cheese!

Godfather this morning.

Grrrr! Friggin Dish out again!

530. Barb says:

Send hubby up on the roof to move the dish around like in the old days with the rabbit ears. :)

531. JRay3 says:

Pirate batters have struck out 16 times tonight, making the first inning stand up with another incredible pitching effort.

LOL

17 strikeouts.

534. They really need to rectify this strikeout business. 17 tonight. Luckily they got the only hits they needed at the right times.

535. JRay3 says:

Make that 17 times.

Aaaannnndddd Dish is back :)

ALl right…big K

538. florida steeler says:

They made the Reds no name relievers resemble Sandy Koufax. Sandy would probably strike out 27 of these Bucs !!!!!

You need to have a system like me…….

an old Curtis Mathes TV, and a live rabbit on top. ;)

STFD Votto

541. Brandie says:

Ouch! Oh well…3 more outs to get and we can pronounce the Reds effectively ineffective for at least one night.

542. Brandie says:

You tell ‘em.

damn

You 2 scare me sometimes………….. ;)

Yeh, you’re shaking in your purple g-string ;)

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Normally, I am just shaking. ;)

547. Lad9 says:

Martin throws well, frames with the best of them, and calls a great game. But he does not block all that well. Minor deficiency -he has been a revelation back there!

548. Barb says:

TMI, TMI I’m going blind.

LOLOL

550. cosmo says:

“We had ‘em all the Way”
    “There was nooo doubt about it”
    “Raise the Jolly Roger”

In reference to Biz and the baseball announcer cd’s.

12th shutout of the year.

NICE!

552. Brandie says:

Mmmmm. Cheese.

RAISE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

554. JRay3 says:

Behind a three run first inning and Pirate pitchers Morton, Watson, Melancon and Grilli combining for the 12th shutout this season the Pirates cut down the Reds to even the four game series 4-0 and there was noooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Pirates move back to 13 above .500 at 42-29 and just a half game behind the Reds. The Bucs improve to 17-16 on the road, 20-12 against the NL Central and 5-3 versus the Reds this season. The Pirates return to action tomorrow night in the third game of the four game set with Jeff Locke taking the mound for the Pirates.

Let’s Go Bucs!

This may be THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE

like=a=lot

557. Brandie says:

Bedazzled, purple g string.

:gigge:
    had to…

559. Lad9 says:

Raise it! And we only needed one so don’t worry about the K fest. Go Buccos!

Oh I even kill me with that one

You gals are nuts!

562. Brandie says:

Gotta work on that.

So you can retaliate and win the game at the same time ? Hmm.

Please, I am afraid of heights……….

565. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

I resemble that remark!

567. cosmo says:

who’d a thunk it.

568. pattonbb says:

coaching staff just made a note of that….will bring it to Clint’s attention soon.

569. Brandie says:

Grillancon…Turnin’ crap to chrome!

well, if you insist…

572. Barb says:

Ouch!

amazing eh?

574. Only 595 posts? Must be Groupon night.

575. Karen22 says:

Hey, Jandy!

Good! Absent a lot due to wedding stuff. Been crazy here, but it’s all good. Can’t wait for July 6th!

Post. Of. The. Day. Milo.

577. Barb says:

+10000000000000

LOL!

579. Karen22 says:

Back atcha, Brandie!

seconded

581. Barb says:

Well it’s been fun but I must turn in before I turn into a pumpkin. Night all!

Well, Loonies, i am off to bed. 4 am comes too quickly.NIGHT!

Night Barb. :)

Night Mom Teresa. :)

585. Really disappointed at the “Walk-up comments” tonight.

Should have been much more.

586. Karen22 says:

Oh, YAY! I just realized I won tonight for a change!

587. Karen22 says:

YEP! Had enough of Barmes.

588. Brandie says:

Good night all. Had a wonderful time. Rest your minds. Treat yourselves and each other well.

And to top off the evening, there’s a black bear loose in the neighborhood. Nearly 30 years, that’s a first.

Thats because a certain troll siad there was too much crying about the morb=ning thread, so we honored the troll by ceasing talk about it.

Tomorrow, we will attempt to do better regarding walk-up comments. ;)

Night Brandie. :)

Give it a Groupon, it should go away…………

593. Karen22 says:

Best bullpen…yes…until their arms fall off.

594. For a Hippo, those count as “Thunder-up” comments.

The neighbors actually are sitting outside waiting for it. What do they think they’re going to do with it if it comes back ? Porridge ?

597. Karen22 says:

Heh heh! YEAH, Baby!

598. Karen22 says:

Like a LOT squared!

599. This porch chair is too hard . . .
    This porch chair is too soft . . .
    This porch chair is just right!

600. Karen22 says:

LOL! What are you drinking, Drew?

601. Karen22 says:

What a completely enjoyable game! The first inning set the tone. Put up a three spot in our half; then Charlie plunks Choo with his first pitch! GAME OVER! WE WIN!! :)

602. Lad9 says:

Right with ya Karen. Really enjoyed the game and the blog tonight.

Careful Karen…………. we had a nuclear war over this this morning!

But you are 100% correct. :)

Thank You for the kind words earlier.
    Much appreciated.

605. Karen22 says:

I KNOW…that was enjoyable, too! ;)

606. Lad9 says: