Podcast: Melancon on winning, adjustments, overuse

Here’s today’s TribLIVE Radio show podcast featuring my special guest Mark Melancon calling in live from Seattle to talk about the Pirates’ surprising season as well as his own.

Also on the show, I go over the Penguins’ big weekend coming up, the Trib’s Mark Kaboly weighs in on the Steelers. and the latest from @suckmeter.

Here’s video of the interview with Melancon (well, my end of it) …

Thanks to all who emailed and called.

Comments

1. Ghost says:

Some good takeaways from Melancon’s interview.

First name that popped into his head for early MVP candidates was Jeff Locke’s. He considers himself a closer, a closer of the eighth inning. And then there were his words to the effect of “sometimes you’re not playing against your opponent, you’re playing against the game.”

Oh, and DK was looking noticeably trim in his black tee. His head was still bigger than Melancon’s, though.

2. KenKopp says:

Just read a great article in last weeks Sports Illustrated about high school coach Frank Hall. He saved a bunch of kids with his bravery during a school shooting in February 2012. Written by Gary Smith. It was a little hard to read because my eyes kept welling up with tears. I know I’m off topic, but thought I’d give ya’ll a heads up on it. Have a Kleenex handy if you read it.

Never been there but, Go Chardon (Ohio) Hilltoppers!

Go Bucs!

3. Frankie says:

Went to a high school football playoff game last year at Chardon. Called Hilltoppers because town is on a hill.Local high school, Warren Howland was playing Chardon.Funny but I ended up pulling for Chardon. They won something like 42-13. It wa a weird feeling being at the stadium knowing what happened.

4. Ghost says:

Saw that on the SI cover when it arrived the other day. SI writing is usually too over the top for me so I hadn’t bothered to read the article, but I guess I’ll give it a read now.

5. Nice interview. Thanks for putting it up there.

6. Brandie says:

It was good to listen to Melancon describe how everyone is taking a part in creating and executing a winning atmosphere. It was also interesting to hear him describe the being the closer of the eighth inning. It was a good interview. I really enjoyed it. Thank you DK for posting it.

7. JD says:

DK – good show today! I listened while driving across the Indiana turnpike. I like the Trib radio app. I also listened to your radio appearance from yesterday, nice take on the Bucs. Good stuff’

It was a good interview. I also liked the rant on the Pens. Good stuff. ( only 2 things I heard so far)

9. MGR says:

Great interview with Melancon – his response to the overuse question surprised me in that the question was leading him to say it’s not a big deal but he immediately responded by saying – no, it is important and needs watching.

I also love the podcasts. I work in New Jersey and when I first moved here, I would have to hope for a clear night to get KDKA and listen to Paul Alexanders old show through static just to get any kind of Pittsburgh talk. With the podcasts, I have it everyday with perfect sound quality, it’s fantastic.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back