On location: Pirates 2, Brewers 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (49-30) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (32-46)

Starters: LHP Francisco Liriano vs. RHP Donovan Hand

Time: 7:15 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Fox (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Russell Martin, C
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, RF
  5. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  6. Neil Walker, 2B
  7. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  8. Jordy Mercer, SS
  9. Liriano, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Karen Price is on the scene. I’ll have a Sunday column.

Comments

1. BDHumbert says:

Wish they would give Pedro a shot at cleanup while he is on a hot streak..

2. Carl Reagle says:

Finally Snider is out of the lineup

3. JD says:

I agree man, he’s been crushing it, especially since he’s going against a right hander. Give him a chance Clint!

4. BDHumbert says:

I really like Snider – but he has had his shot – and Bucs need to upgrade. I am a gambler by nature and would be tempted to bring up Lambo and run him out there for a week or so – but this will probably mean they won’t consider that option right now.

Enjoying a Scorpion Sting Honey Doppel Bock. Made with Trinidad Scorpion peppers (1.4 million Scoville scale unit of heat) and locally farmed unfiltered honey.

Supposed to be home getting ready to take my wife out. But, well…no.

Is it better than Iron City?

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE – added 5/21
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE – added 5/21
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*

368 locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Blier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    First Responders***
    20 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    6/29/2013 3:41 PM

ummm…

9. Matt hoffman says:

Nice article. I couldn’t agree with you more! I think Lambo could succeed at this level. I remember when Marte was called up I was one of the few applauding the FO for that move. Hope Lambo continues to play well at Indy!

10. kr70 says:

why jinx him?

11. radio wave says:

His history at cleanup is awful.

Forgot to say

Beat Em Bucs

Go like 60

13. Carl Reagle says:

I truly believe liriano is the x factor for this team. If he can pitch like a cy young candidate at 1 million dollars then every win for the pirates is just a bonus

14. You just said the magic word, Carl. DK will straighten you out on the 1 million dollar thing.

+ 1

And then naje will pull out the gothcha gun. :-)

That’s what a goth uses for a gotcha gun.

18. Dave G says:

+ X

19. JRay3 says:

Well all the talk on Cole staying or going appears to be for not. Wandy Rodriguez has been shut down after experiencing more forearm tightness and will need to be re-evaluated.

Let’s just hope AJ does not suffer any setbacks as he was scheduled to throw a bullpen today.

That is really bad news. Hope the next news is better. Hope it isn’t TJ.

21. Dan says:

Unbelievable…. Pirates Have The Best Record In Baseball And I Can’t Watch The Game Tonight. I Can’t Find It On Extra Innings And FOx Is Showing The Yankee Game.

22. pattonbb says:

Agree. Leave him where he’s comfortable…..for now.

23. JRay3 says:

Agreed. May alter team’s strategy at trade deadline, there maybe a need to add a starter for insurance and in case anybody falters.

Its been a while, gotta be something more significant

25. Did they get all the bird shot out of A.J.?

26. JRay3 says:

AJ is slated to throw a sim game on Tuesday, if all goes well he would be close to a return.

27. JRay3 says:

Not until next season will extra innings carry the other FOX broadcasts not shown in your area, I know it stinks we get Yanks/O’s game here in Phoenix as well.

Not sure if it’s true but I heard July 4th is already sold out, so I thought I’d start practicing:

There were at least 20,000 Phillies fans there.

Its that Fox thing.

I am Mr Dumba$$

My twin nieces graduated from high school

Got an invite to their grad party, I thought it was tonight, so I gave away my tickets.

Turns out it was actually to be tomorrow. Then it got postponed due to possible inclement weather.

So I think, oh well, at least the game will be on….

I think I will have an Iron City to wash down the tears….

30. Playoffs by 2012 says:

SATURDAY OVER/UNDER

Total Combined HITS + WALKS by Pedro Alvarez + Garrett Jones in tonight’s game
    Line is 3.5

31. tdb1977 says:

Not sure if Playoffs is putting a line up tonight or not, but if he does – Mr Playoffs – can you please put me down for 100 on the under on the line. Its a blind beat tonight as I’m going to be out all evening and not able to check back in to see what the line will be. Love waggering fake units of whatever it is we are using :) Thanks in advance!

32. tdb1977 says:

Hope you see my post below! 100 on the under for tonight :D

100 on the over, Pedro is hot

Thanks Playoffs

34. JRay3 says:

Make it two with that story.

35. Lad9 says:

100 talents on the over please Mr. Playoffs. Thank you for your time in doing this and Go Buccos!

The Crew’s starting lineup:

Milwaukee Brewers:
    1. 2B: Rickie Weeks
    2. SS: Jean Segura
    3. CF: Carlos Gomez
    4. 3B: Aramis Ramirez
    5. C: Jonathan Lucroy
    6. 1B: Yuniesky Betancourt
    7. RF: Sean Halton
    8. LF: Logan Schafer
    9. SP: Donovan Hand

37. JUCOFan says:

100 on the under

I’m not sure Weeks has led off this year.

Donovan Hand ? Bahahahhahahaah!

39. radio wave says:

at playoffs: I will take 75 on the over.

40. BDHumbert says:

Chill on the Wandy thing guys – I was actually hoping they would hold both him and AJ back until after the All-Star break – get them both totally healthy and ready for the drive…

But whether or not that is a good idea depends on how Liriano does tonight…

Watching the Card’s – A’s – Wainright and Parker [on my fantasy team] are 0-0

45/Over, if you please.

42. radio wave says:

Thanks for the lineup update. I guess Packers season can’t start too soon up there.

Milwaukee is a good baseball town but where I’m at (90 miles north), it is pretty much Packers season 24/7 365/year. Many times on the local sports they won’t even mention the Brewers.

You went to the game last night ? Hope you had fun!

44. stuart66 says:

Playoffs, I will take 100 Lire on the over tonight.

Stuart

Sea of Red.

A long trip to go home disappointed ;-)

How long a drive (in hours) is Pittsburgh to Philly ? (Assuming you don’t drive as fast as Dejan)

48. radio wave says:

Had fun, but the constant all too loud music, announcements, etc. is the worst in any MLB park I’ve been too.

49. Frankie says:

Please give me 100 on the over

As always Thanks

50. radio wave says:

Cards take 2-0 lead over A’s.

Holy Crap.

You’re IN Oshkosh??

I thought you were just wearing those little kiddie overalls

52. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window, perfect day to make it eight straight.

As for the line, last night in a game the Bucs routed Jones and Alvarez had a combined three hits and walks. I’ll go with that as a guide here.

50 on the UNDER

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

53. pattonbb says:

100 beaten Brewers on the UNDER please.

54. pattonbb says:

6-0 now

We just need to worry about us

Haven’t thought that in 20 years or so

I think it’s about 5 hours roughly.

50 (for 50 wins) on the UNDER, please.

58. BDHumbert says:

DK

Do u think last night would have sold out if Cole had not started?

I was at Nationals Park last week, and the music was not near as loud. Not even close. Part of it may be at PNC you are never very far away from a speaker.

60. Bill Born says:

50 on the under
    Please.

61. BDHumbert says:

I would also keep Tabata shut down until after the AS break – if he is ready then I would go with a Marte Cutch Tabata outfield for 10 days or so – if that does not click then you may have to look for a power hitter for RF before the deadline.

+ 1

Hopefully, if the PBC continues to be quality, the selling, carnival stuff could go away.

Hope you know what I mean, folks go there to root for our club and see good baseball, the reports of high-fives and staying to enjoy the game hit a memory for me

63. BDHumbert says:

It is a great stadium – but the noise and loud music and stupid between innings stuff are annoying…

64. Dadtackular says:

100 iron city beers on the under

Thanks, AW.

Interesting. I had not heard the noise complaint before.

67. OZ says:

100 over

68. JD says:

100 over please. Go Bucs!

69. bman says:

@playoffs

75 on the UNDER please

Thanks!!

70. Matt hoffman says:

Give me 100 over please. Thanks

I will take 100 heat-affected Hippos on the UNDER please. :)

74. Joey Mellons says:

100 mega blocks on the over.

75. cmat0829 says:

100 over por favor

Wont find out if I get to watch the game for 15 more minutes.
    I hope stupid FOX doesnt stick me with Yanks-O’s.

77. cmat0829 says:

im not DK, but yes, I do. I think a Friday night, after a road trip, in late June is probably sitting at 30K no matter what…. I think the other factor was the 7-2 road trip, 6 game winning streak, and being in first place…. I personally don’t think much of it was Cole to be quite honest….

78. cmat0829 says:

Not to belabor the attendance thing, but I think the first real look at impact this good play is having on attendance will be the weekday series vs. the A’s…. weekends in summer always do well, the Phillies series usually does well…. so I’ll be watching to see if weeknight games can get up in the high 20′s – low 30′s…. if not, then I’ll be a little disappointed but it is what it is.

79. Dadtackular says:

Would that be a “hippotastrophe”?

80. cmat0829 says:

I was just thinking of that earlier, how stupid it is for MLB to not allow those that are PAYING handsomely for either At Bat app or Extra Innings package to see the other Fox games… I understand Fox is paying for this ‘exclusive’ coverage but this is indeed the 21st century…. good to hear that they will rectify this stupidity next season!

My other beef with Fox is that if you are going to have an exclusive window, then go ahead and have a true National game…like ESPN does on Sunday Nights… why they’d have 4 or 5 regional games, including the powerful Cubs/Mariners matchup?? It just pretty much ensures that the home areas will get their teams anyway and it screws up the local broadcasts.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get the Bucs!!!!!

82. cmat0829 says:

Wow, that is bad news… it makes it all that more important that AJ returns to form … and they will need to know what Wandy’s situation is before the deadline… if it is just a little setback, then fine, he’s back for Aug/Sep, but otherwise he may be out for season and then yes, they will need to look at rotation options in terms of trade also….

Silver lining is that it is best to sort this out in the next month, rather than to have this pop up in August…. Cole and Morton will get 5-6 starts, we will see more of Liriano and Locke to determine if they have staying power….. if all goes well, then no need to make a big trade for starter but if anyone falters, they need to act.

83. Jason81 says:

Hope I’m not late. 100 on the OVER, please!

+ 1000000000000000000000000

Hippotastrophe !!!!!!!!!

Yes, yes it would be!

85. pattonbb says:

Yanks and Orioles here….dammit.

Sorry!

Amazingly, I get the Bucs………… where I live, Baltimore is the cosest big city to me, so I thought I was stuck with the O’s. This is like Steeler season, I get the Steelers instead of the Ratbirds!

87. pattonbb says:

PEDRO with a cannonball!

88. Dave G says:

Pedro bombs the Allegheny

1-0 Bucs

89. Patrick(ri) says:

Who is the HP ump? Looks like he is squeezing Liriano (took 5 Gamecast strikes to get Segura).

90. Lad9 says:

That was awful. Not the coach’s fault. He may never score a run.

91. Patrick(ri) says:

He is squeezing the other guy, too.

92. Bob Hasis says:

Leyva has that 3rd base coaches box so screwed up, no one can coach properly there

93. Lad9 says:

Neil Walker has been playing some serious defense. Great job holding them to zip.

94. cmat0829 says:

Does Fox have a blow out rule? O’s 9 Yanks 0… be nice if they switched to another game, but my luck it would be Tigers/Rays instead of Bucs/Brewers

95. pattonbb says:

Jones makes it 2-0 Bucs!

96. pattonbb says:

Very slick.

97. Lad9 says:

G I Jones brings us a shrubbery!

98. Bob Hasis says:

Sofield had to say this; Francisco, no matter where the ball is hit – on the ground – you MUST run.

If he did that, then Liriano is to blame

99. JRay3 says:

The left handed bats seem to be causing some havoc. Really hope this tear is not raising Alvarez price too greatly with Boras, Bucs need to lock him up and make him a part of the future core.

Appears Liriano is dealing once again.

Reds losing to Rangers 3-2, still stuck with this 9-0 snooze fest in Baltimore, how about putting the team with the best record on FOX?

Advantage that this a national broadcast: we don’t have to put up with all the crowd shots after every pitch

+1000

101. Fish says:

Seeing these “national” broadcasts actually makes me miss the root sports team!

102. cmat0829 says:

Agree Pedro needs to be signed to a Cutch-like extension, but let’s all make a pact now.. not to complain about “El Toro” over the term of the contract!! He will forever K a lot, have his extended slumps, struggle vs. LHPs…. all of that said, he has become a good 3B defensively and he has ‘game-changing’ power.. and I do think he will grow a bit in terms of making contact and cutting down a little on Ks…..

But ‘he is what he is’ folks…. he isn’t Joey Votto or Robinson Cano…..

103. Lad9 says:

I read where JMac is going to seek a second opinion from a doctor Keith Meister in Texas. (Great comment by someone that they hope that he is a psychiatrist). Does anyone know what the first opinion was and did it come from Dr Andrews – or was it from Dr Freud maybe?

I was watching in a restaurant and couldn’t hear the announcers.

105. rvfcprez says:

Yankees and Orioles on the Nashville TV Fox station too. The MLB TV blackouts are maddening! I’m glad to hear that they will do away with the Fox blackouts next year. Hopefully some year they will do away with the regional blackouts. I can understand the Braves being considered a local team for Nashville, but how can they call the Reds a local team??? I am stuck with watching the Reds announcers when the two teams play each other and they are really bad.

106. Lad9 says:

+ many

107. cmat0829 says:

Jeff Franceur has been DFA’s in Kansas City…. any interest in a quick pick up of Jeff to play vs. LHPs, and cutting loose Mr Inge?

It’s not the true answer for RF, but maybe worth a shot for July while we ponder other moves?

Lead announcer is the Marlins TV guy.

109. cmat0829 says:

fox has like 5 or 6 ‘national games’ today… the main team, Joe Buck and the nauseating Tim McCarver are announcing this O’s blowout of the sad-looking, but very expensive, NY Yankees…..who are the ‘national’ announcers at PNC? Surprised it isn’t a Brewers announcer and Pirates analyst given how ‘regional’ these national games really are.

Color guy is The Mayor.

I am a big fan of Pedro , but I wait until I see what he does this season and next. We have him through the 2016 season. And then he will turn 30.

And unless he gets a new agent I don’t think Boras will let him sign a “cutch -like contract”.

Hopefully you got to see the yinz….er…..Pittsburgh fans doing the wave in the 4th inning of a 2-0 game.

113. JRay3 says:

I, too, am a big Alvarez fan and believe his bat makes the team much better. He is up to .247 20 HR, 53 RBI and not even at the half way point. He hit 30 homers a year ago, the power is not going anywhere if anything it is getting better.

I hope management makes a run at him and tries to buy out 1-2 of his free agent years to keep him locked up a little longer. Much like Cutch, there probably is an advantage to doing a deal earlier as both sides assume a little risk.

IMo, no

I agree with Biz

I agree with Thunder.

I think if I haven’t fallen over, with those agreements

I should have

Brewers will be sellers. No body but Aoki tempts me.

I agree.

120. Lad9 says:

I would rather wait for Tabby to come back. Franceour is a gruesome offensive player.

Ravenstahl is calling the game??? ;)

122. Lad9 says:

Agree. I was thinking last night how well he would fit in our lineup. I think I would start off with him followed by Marte and Cutch. That is a lot speed at the top of the order and would Starling a few more RBI chances. Probably dreaming though.

123. I agree with all yunz.

Interesting thought. He isnt old, and he would come cheap…………. and we could get rid of Inge.

125. Lad9 says:

Hey Hippo! Good one. If it was Ravenstahl the FBI would already have subpoenaed the game tape and found something illegal.

126. cmat0829 says:

Agreed… key point there is ‘both sides assume a little risk’… Boras’ track record isn’t great on that, but if a fair deal can be made, then go for it… but the Bucs shouldn’t sign a one-sided deal with Boras… and that will be tough.

Nah, his “bodyguards” would protect him……. ;)

I would probably like the guy who could field multiple positions . And at this point Inge and Francour are about the same when it comes to pinch hitting. ( not good)

129. pattonbb says:

Anyone but Tabata.

Greg Brown just said tonight is the 5th consecutive sell out at PNC Park.

Where is everybody ?

#grouponsarecatchingon

131. cmat0829 says:

Put yourselves in Doug Melvin’s shoes on this one… yes, indeed, the Brewers are in rebuild mode…which makes the signing of Lohse earlier in the Spring a really dubious move (I pointed that out at the time, also).

But Aoki is talented, cheap and under control for a few more seasons…why would Melvin move Aoki and for what? My fear there is that Melvin would set the price too high given that the Bucs need Aoki much more than the Brewers need to move him….. and I personally do NOT want to see a good prospect go to Milwaukee and beat up on the Bucs in a few years…. I couldn’t bear that.

Melvin will also be plenty occupied having to deal Gallardo, Ramirez, and probably Axford, KRod, and others… Aoki won’t be his priority and he will feel no urgency.

The Bucs are finally true buyers… they can have the power in these negotiations… they will find a lot of options from teams that will want to move players as much if not more than the teams need to acquire them…. think Jason Bay trade but the opposite.

132. cmat0829 says:

can they make it 6 in a row tomorrow?

133. florida steeler says:

Travis Snider is awful–they need to get a right fielder and Gaby should play as little as possible.

Only if they have a good walkup crowd………..

135. cmat0829 says:

On the radio feed, the crowd noise is very very cool…. the chants of LETS GO BUCs are giving me chills…. come on Cheese, close it out and lets’ RTJR!

Raise it!!!!!

137. JRay3 says:

Behind solo shots from Garret Jones and Pedro Alvarez, another quality start from Francisco Liriano and a league best 27th save from Jason Grilli the Bucs take the series from the Brewers by virtue of their 2-1 win and there was nooooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Pirates are now a season best 20 games above .500 at 50-30 (100 win pace), are 17-9 in June (no swoon), winners of 8 straight (keep wearing the black tops), are 8-4 against Milwaukee and have won 16 series on the year and own a 16-6-4 series mark this season.

The first place Pirates will go for the sweep tomorrow afternoon when Charlie Morton takes the ball for Pittsburgh.

Let’s Go Bucs!

138. cmat0829 says:

will be a true test of Pirate Mania!

History is being made

Raise The Jolly Hippo!

Why does beating the Brewers seem so much sweeter than other teams??? :)

141. cmat0829 says:

RAISE IT!!! It’s 118 in Phoenix and I’ve got chills.

142. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….!!!!!

143. Kevin says:

50 down, 32 to go. Keep on scratching out wins bucs!

144. JRay3 says:

Digging deep on a 50-30 team, Snider has had some key hits to win games this year, Sanchez has OPS greater than 1.000 versus LHP.

Yes it is!

We have a blog nun guiding the team !!! ;)

Because they’re the freakin Brewers

147. Lad9 says:

Raise it! Hot damn! This is a blast. Keep it going Buccos!

148. cmat0829 says:

8 in a row, but black jersey’s can’t usurp the Sunday classics, can they?? RAISE IT!!!!

Well, I’m prayin for them

150. JRay3 says:

You were all over Pedro earlier this year and can no longer attack him?

151. Lad9 says:

Jandy! You were missed this evening.

Wa-hoo!

Remember, Ghost first ran me up the flagpole in Milwaukee.
    So maybe thats it. ;)

154. JRay3 says:

Steve Blass on air said they should this is 2013′s team and he said all living members of the ’71 squad would want them too as well.

I am going tomorrow !

didn’t get home till 6th inning..then hubby was on e-bay. I watched the last 4 innings and chewed my nails lol

157. JRay3 says:

My reply ended up below, but on air Steve Blass said they should and nobody on the 71 team would mind, they would support it.

E Bay.

Arent they the Packers? ;)

:yawn:

lol….he’s lookin for a Ford Shelby to buy. Problem is we don’t have $65+ grand

Better start praying for a miracle!

Yeah, very good points and I’m not a fan of trading within division either.

Make sure it’s a win TC!

They both were/are scrappy teams!

I told him to put out his red light! ;)

166. pattonbb says:

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in a while. Do you watch the games? Have you seen Gaby against lefties?

Did you get a Groupon??

169. florida steeler says:

They NEED a right fielder. Anyone that knows anything about baseball knows that Snider is not the answer. Terrible arm and hitting in the low 200′s doesn’t cut it for a right fielder.

Bring your broom!

171. florida steeler says:

Have you seen him against righties???

Florida Steeler thought they were “friendly indians” too. ;)

So you are married to Roxanne??? ;)

174. florida steeler says:

Feel free to go to bed if you are tired.

175. JRay3 says:

And earlier this year it was the team needs a third basemen and we see how that has played out.

Some just need something to gripe about I guess.

Not tired, bored with asininity

177. JRay3 says:

It is apparent he does not because in June Sanchez has hit a couple of homers against righties as well.

Oh no, he’ll get plenty of female customers lol

like I said, asininity

I think you missed my Police reference…………

Only 32 wins more! And not even the break! That’s nuthin!

This winning streak goes to the ASB!

This is the same poster who trolled us during the Pens playoff games…………

seems that way. It would be NICE to have an upgrade, but is it NEEDED? How does a team get to 50 – 30 otherwise?

Indeed.

185. Lad9 says:

He puts out a red light in a Ford Shelby in central Pa and no one will miss a police reference….

sure did, sorry lol…

Full price. $$$&

:-)

like!

will a 68 Chevelle do? That we have

++++++++++++++++++

191. Michael De Pitt says:

WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    Sledge blaring
    skull & crossbones fly here in DE
    even went to Md to get some Iron today

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO 92 rally train!!!!!!

Florida isn’t so much a troll as he (or she) is never happy and always complaining…ok he’s a troll lol

193. florida steeler says:

Asininity is telling the truth about Travis Snider??? He is a liability out there and cannot hit.

Now that’s a TRUE fan, TC! :D

68 Chevelle Malibu is a great car.
    Onlt one I can think that tops it is a 70 Camaro.

No more so than Pedro, Florida

197. JRay3 says:

+1…nice

198. florida steeler says:

Yes, and who was right about the Pens?? Not you–I rest my case.

Asininity is your constant b*tching and whining

Well, slap my a$$ and call me Suzie!

Even a clock is right twice a day………..

68 Camaro maybe but never a 70

OK I’m done…time for ignore. Good night Florida

Hi Suzie!!!!!!

A$$ slapping optional…………
    (How does a Hippo slap an a$$????)

And this Chevelle has a 427 big block

206. Eric Bowser says:

Always said, when this team finally make the playoffs, the players on the team would become legends in this town.

It is happening.

VERY carefully ;)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice!

Good night, Miss Big Block!

Ha! ;)

History is being made

213. Lad9 says:

Love it! I am so psyched! I can’t wait to go to the game on Wednesday.

Night Hipposter my friend. Going to bed happy and with a smile on my face :)
    Not everyone has to be a negative Nellie :)

215. Dadtackular says:

a Hippo doesn’t slap…. he calls in the SWAT team

Take all your good vibes with you and bring home a win :)

217. Michael De Pitt says:

This is becoming so much fun there WILL BE laws after this
    Hey it started with the playoff it should end symmetrically with the playoffs

218. florida steeler says:

3 home runs the ENTIRE month of June!!!! That is real IMPRESSIVE???

ahahaha good one Dad :)

220. JRay3 says:

Just read the Pirates have 50 wins before July for theirs grime in the team’s 127 year history, wow.

And for those of you that want an attendance nuggett since it is often discussed, itis believed the five consecutive sellouts maybe a first in franchise history but definitely a PNC record, it was cited though that it is tough to go back through Forbes and Three Rivers attendance numbers.

221. Michael De Pitt says:

and i believe;
    correct me if i’m wrong;
    Were giving love in a family dose

222. JRay3 says:

IPad issue, 50 wins for first time in team’s 127 year history before month of July.

223. JRay3 says:

For a part time player, not bad, best hitter on team against lefties has immense value to the team.

50 wins for first time in team’s 127 year history before month of July.

Now THAT’S impressive

JRay, believe me, you never win this with him. I don’t know why I even bother. lol

Good night everyone…have good dreams about your first place Pittsburgh Pirates :)

227. JRay3 says:

ya need to learn to let it go especially on nights when history is being made:)

228. florida steeler says:

You really need to look up some stats before commenting.

229. florida steeler says:

I agree and they can be much better with a quality right fielder that can add some offense to a team that is not doing well offensively. Pitching is doing it for them and that is great but Travis Snider is a bust and the Bucs need to do something in right field, not only short term but long term.

230. tdb1977 says:

Great win tonight. Everyone is looking at 32 games to go. I’m looking at it a little bit different. Over the course of the last 6 years, an average of 92 wins it took to win the NL Central. That would mean, the Pirates would need 42 more wins to clinch the divison. 32 is nice, I would be thrilled for 42 more wins and to take the central. Call me picky and everything, but I want the playoffs this year. Breaking the streak is great, but as management has been saying playoffs and championships are all that matters.

231. JRay3 says:

Seriously? Your way off base, try these numbers .247 20 HR 53 RBI, top three in homers top seven in run production, a month ago you ripped that guy every night.

I know numbers, have seen most every pitch and witnessed this team in person in multiple series this year. Can also tell you Snider has an above average OF arm.

You should pay better attention and truly watch before commenting.

I was thinking how super cool it would be to have a game thread for a playoff game.

Wow. So excited, I might have trouble sleeping tonight!

233. florida steeler says:

Quit switching the conversation to another player. Stick with Gaby and Snider or better yet–go to the blog in the PG today and see if I am the only one seeing the need for a REAL right fielder.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle