Final: Pirates 2, Brewers 1, 14 innings

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (50-30) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (32-47)

Starters: RHP Charlie Morton vs. RHP Kyle Lohse

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, RF
  5. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  6. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  7. Michael McKenry, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Morton, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Karen Price is on the scene.

Comments

1. JRay3 says:

True Sunday lineup, hope the bottom of the order can muster something and not be an albatross.

Most interested in Morton and can he continue to make small steps forward. Until AJ returns this rotation still invokes some uncertainty, especially when considering the injury history and the never done it before aspect some of these arms bring. Even more timely the piece on Searage today.

That said chance at nine straight. Go Bucs.

Pirates (50-30)

I love seeing that!!!

Hey Plan, if you are out there:

Heading to the zoo with the fam today. I’ll say hey to your family!

4. Reading says:

Last night- a 2-1 W ending on a grounder up the middle fielded by the SS- can you say 1971 World Series?

5. Playoffs by 2012 says:

SUNDAY PICK ‘EM!!!

After today’s game the standings will be updated. The June winner and the 1st Half winner will be announced. Also a special 2nd half line will be posted. GOOD LUCK!!

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Today’s Pick ‘Em Line
    Total Combined HITS + WALKS by Clint Barmes + Michael McKenry in today’s game
    0-1 (EVEN ODDS)
    2-3 (EVEN ODDS)
    4-5 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    6 or More (TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE ODDS)

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).

GOOD LUCK!!!

6. JD says:

100 on 4-5 please. Go Bucs’

7. JoeyBats says:

Should have considered doing the SAME ODDS on # of Brewers Stolen Bases…..with McKenry catching today ! … ;-)

8. Bill Born says:

100 on 0-1 Line
    Please.

9. John Lease says:

Oh geeze. Barmes sneaks in there.

Get him OUT of there, McCutchen, Walker Jones and Alvarez can play every day, so can Mercer.

10. Bob Hasis says:

and he’s younger than those others, BUT CH’s boy you know.
    My main reason, for my opinion of CH is right here

What the heck 100 on 4-5

Thanks Playoffs

Beat Em Bucs

Go like 60

Isn’t Morton considered to be a ground-ball pitcher?

Maybe that is the reason Barmes is getting a start today.

13. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I did, but I figured the bigger “uproar” would be having Barmes and McKenry in the same lineup. Hence, today’s line.

Had to go with my gut on this one.

Brewers stolen bases was a close second, though.

14. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Mercer has played in how many games in a row now?
    Barmes was due to get one start sooner or later.
    Not the end of the world if he plays once every 2 weeks.

15. pattonbb says:

100 on 4-5

16. Chico says:

50 on the 2-3 line, please.

17. Jason81 says:

100 on 0-1, please!

18. Bob Hasis says:

Perhaps you’ll get a chance to fairly and objectively evaluate Barmes’ range

19. Bob Hasis says:

No of course not – merely the end of an 8-game winning streak.

I’m not that cynical, it just sounds that way

20. Lad9 says:

100 piasters on 2-3 please Mr. Playoffs. Thank you sir. Go Buccos!

21. JRay3 says:

Totally agree, have to find ways to get your bench guys an occasional start from time to time to keep them somewhat sharp, no problem with Barmes getting a game.

22. Hal Smith says:

50 on the 2-3 line please.

23. cherokee23 says:

100 on 2-3….what do we need to hit the attendance line?

24. JRay3 says:

Good morning from the left coast to the window. Perfect day to get the brooms out and make it nine straight.

Given the lineup today, great line to try and tackle. I am going to tread cautiously here, but think both of these guys want to contribute and get in on the action.

25 on 2-3

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

25. Dadtackular says:

I’m curious Bob. When someone disagrees with you, are they unfair and unobjective? I’ll take the TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE ODDS that the answer is 99% of the time.

26. JRay3 says:

It is going to take a packed house…38 k plus. Friday was high 36 K, yesterday was 38,496.

27. Dadtackular says:

Give me 100 unfair and unobjective units on 2-3.

28. JRay3 says:

Bob, I would think having to play McKenry puts greater odds of winning streak ending than playing Barmes.

Not only is McKenry not hitting but his liability of turning walks and singles into doubles due to not throwing out runners and teams running at will, puts far more pressure on team.

29. Bob Hasis says:

In the case of Barmes, I can’t believe his fielding liabilities haven’t emerged to a genius like you.
    Do yourself a favor and observe his game today, then get back to me quickly.
    I am already excusing your oversight.

30. Bob Hasis says:

Yes I agree with that.
    I can’t even say the streak will end, but we sure aren’t doing everything we can to have it continue

Too funny !!!

Thanks……….. treat my cousins well!

Too funny !!!

Thanks……….. treat my cousins well!

33. Dadtackular says:

In the case of Bob Hasis, I can’t believe his communication abilites haven’t emerged beyond bickering.
    Do yourself a favor and observe your comments today, then get back to me quickly. I am already excusing your oversight. (just kidding Bob) But do you get the picture?

34. Bob Hasis says:

I agree with that too, but today isn’t an exhibition – or is it?

35. Matt hoffman says:

100 on 2-3, please.

36. JRay3 says:

No it isn’t, but I remember out at the game last Sunday getting to the ballpark and seeing no Cutch, no Martin in lineup versus Angles and the other guys found a way (granted Martin did end up playing a big part by games end).

CH gave Inge a start and was rewarded with 3 run HR in Seattle, Sanchez gets starts versus RHP at times to keep him sharp, the backup catcher has to play, and you have to find spots to play your backup infielder as well.

37. JRay3 says:

But I will add this Bob, you were first and loudest about need to play Mercer everyday, and he has played up to the billing you were giving him and saw in him both with the bat and defensively.

38. JRay3 says:

Well more news with Wandy, 24/7 reports he received a cortisone shot in elbow in addition to being shut down and is awaiting further evaluation from docs. There will be real concern if the shot does not help as that is probably an all-in attempt to fight through what he is battling.

Bucs testing superstition today, will wear the ’71 throwbacks.

39. Frankie says:

50 on 2-3

As always Thanks

Everything can’t be about today. Guys have to be somewhat fresh in case they are needed. If Jordy fouls one off his foot today, and goes down for a few days, I don’ think they can dig the ghost of Honus up fast enough to get him in Tuesday’s lineup.

CH has gone from not trusting him at all to trusting him with 90% of the starts at the most important infield position.

41. NastyNate82 says:

Since Barmes can’t hit at all, people love to just rip apart everything. He’s a very good defensive SS, better than Jordy Mercer. All of the numbers bear it out, and even though you make fun of the way Barmes throws, he has a very quick release. I like Mercer, but it kind of looks like he’s shot-putting it to first.

42. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I’m not a doctor, I’m only a window.
    But I think Wandy is done for the year.

Hate to say it, but the track record with injuries like these almost always ends in Tommy John surgery.

43. NastyNate82 says:

Well put Jim. Guys will need days off, breathers, and so on. Its a very long season, and we’re just getting to the halfway point.

Might be the absolute best throwbacks in MLB, JRay.

45. Bob Hasis says:

Maybe you should define your intent, “I’m curious Bob, when disagrees with you, are they unfair or unobjective?. . . . . . . . .”

Bickering? I’m not sure what you meant.

My comment to TC was a reasonable response to his comment about Barmes and the anticipated ground balls Morton will induce.
    If Morton is on his game we should get a fair sampling of ground ball activity

Thanks for reminding me they have 8 in the bank already, JRay. I mentioned on the earlier thread they were going for 8 today.

I’d like to see the other streak extended as well – the one that sits at 5 home games in a row. I wonder if there is a decent shot of that.

47. Bob Hasis says:

I THANK YOU FOR THAT SIR.

I sought no accolades, just a better product on the field

That’s a good point, TC

49. Bob Hasis says:

Did you feel a little nervous – no Cutch, no Martin – and that game was a struggle with a great result.

BTW, I might also be the only one here who thinks Inge is more valuable than believed

I think you are right, Playoffs

Wonder what that does to his option next season

51. Dave G says:

It’s been 34 and 42 years now since the Pirates won their last two championships.

No city hangs on to their winning moments like Pittsburgh. But two generations now have passed since Roberto Clemente and then Cap’n Willie and “We Are Family” captivated this city.

It’s time for the younger folks to have their own Pirate treasured memories to hold on to.

I see the improvement on the field but I just don’t sense the swagger that comes with being the best and knowing it. There are some hints of that in some of Cutch’s comments. You know—those “We have to play the Cardinals this weekend” comments where he responds “No, they have to play US.”

Makes me smile.

In 1979, you would sit in your seat and just stare at each player as they readied for the first pitch, playing catch or tossing grounders to each other, and, as your eyes floated from Sanguillen to Stargell to Stennett or Foli to Taveras or Madlock to Moreno to Lacy or Robinson to Parker you couldn’t stop yourself from blurting a smile. And you would grin and slowly nod your head because you knew they were damn good.

We felt it again in ’92 With Bonds, Van Slyke and company.

But with this 2013 Pirates team as it finally begins to gel again—well, you’ll know when you watch them take the field and you feel all warm inside and think to yourself, “There’s no way we are going to lose this game today.”

When we feel that moment, we’ll know that these Pirates have arrived for good.

52. pattonbb says:

I think he’s done too. Hope I’m wrong, but lingering forearm soreness usually means elbow problems. Elbow problems require the attention of Dr. Andrews.

53. pattonbb says:

It is, hands down.

54. JRay3 says:

No argument about that here, they are sharp.

55. cherokee23 says:

I know it’s been a bone of contention at times, and i think i can understand removing it from the sidebar…..but, I miss the link to DK’s twitter feed

56. cherokee23 says:

Nice post…..most of those guys were proven veterans. I think this team is too young to display the same intangibles yet. Although, I do see those qualities in Marte and Cole in particular. Marte definitely has a bit of swagger, and Cole just seems so confident and poised, expecting to do well.

Mr. Playoffs………….

may I have 50 First-Place Hippos on the 2-3, please?

Thank You, and Go Bucs!!!!

To anyone who questions whether the Fort, Barmes, or Inge should ever play……….

no, they are not good. But even the 70′s Reds had to spell Rose, Bench, etc. with scrubs. No team has 25 HOFers on the roster. As long as Barmes, et al dont play frequently, we will be ok.

GO BUCS!!!

Oh, and for as much as I like Letang, I think the deal he signed today will cripple the Pens. Say goodbye to Duper, and say hello to very little flexibility for the Pens roster.

We now return you to our Bucco thread. :)

Let me get this straight, Bob. Barmes is the worst player on the team, and Inge has more value than believed? here

I think Barmes will be here all year, as he provides a valuable service as a mentor to Jordy and a capable defensive replacement.

I believe they are actively looking for Inge’s successor, friend or CH or not. He has had one good game over the past 30 opportunties, and is playing out of position when he’s in RF.

I never thought, I, of all people, would be defending Barmes. I believe he is the worst hitter in MLB. I am thrilled he is no longer the starter. But, unorthodox or not, he is a good defender and a good influence, apparently. I agree that his arm is lacking. It seems to me he compensates well by charging the ball more aggressively than most SS, and he gets rid of it quickly. The defensive metrics I have seen over the past few years bear out that he does a good job at SS. Sometimes the eye test also needs data to accompany it. Good talent evaluators look at both, and then also sprinkle in the first hand opinions of people they trust.

61. Patrick(ri) says:

+1. I agree, even though I do not tweet. The jibes wre often amusing, occasionally enligtening and sometimes grating (like a “trip,trip,trip . . .).

We are not there yet, IMO, Dave G. I believe this team is a good downpayment on a great team in a few years. The 2015 or 2016 edition of this team might just be what you are looking for again.

63. Dadtackular says:

George Armbrister!

Letang signed?

What was the deal for?

66. Keith says:

I’ll go with 100 on 2-3. Can’t imagine much more than 2, but it’s a strange season, eh?

67. Bob Hasis says:

It used to be a game, but now it’s a business.

Playing baseball was never tiring or laborious; we couldn’t wait to play and missing a game was unthinkable.

They have agents/lawyers now who draw up complicated and tedious contracts, which may govern how many games, how many innings not to be exceeded by a given player. I know the game has morphed into this, but I don’t have to like it.

Medical technology and sophistication of testing is a great advancement here and in life as well, which can’t be challenged. Second opinions still exist, but teams lawyers will also be included in final decision making, along with the team doctors, as well as the players representative, and the union rep – possibly.

Dizzy Dean today would never pitch with a broken toe, which changed his delivery, ruined his arm and shortened his career.

I accept it because it is baseball today – my favorite sports passion!!!!

But a maintenance day; oh yeah tell Gen. Patton you have a headache or are nervous or scared.

Let’s Play Ball

68. cmat0829 says:

geeze, you are a broken record Bob… Clint likes to get regulars two days off, when there is an offday… Jordy has played in 13 straight games, and he won’t play 162 games, even if the backup is CH’s “boy” as you called him.

Hurdle has this team at 50-30 and in first place and you just can’t wait to dig him on playing Barmes on a Sunday.

69. radio wave says:

Playoffs: I will take 50 on the 0 to 1 line.

100 units on 2 – 3 please. Babysitting today, try to come on later, GO BUCS!

71. cherokee23 says:

Since you brought General Patton into this…..I think it has more to do with winning the war, not just the battle at hand

72. cmat0829 says:

Hmmmmm… tempting to go on 0-1, but let’s play a hunch and go 2-3…. probably 2 walks and a blooper…

I think it is GREAT that this year we see the Fort for what he is…. a “Sunday only” backup catcher who is more a liability than a contributor…most team’s backup C are that way…. but last year he was the one we wanted starting most games behind the plate…. that be progress folks….

73. Keith says:

I’m thinking next year’s new logo comes with new unis, and the way the team has responded to the throwbacks makes me think there’s mustard in our future.

74. tdb1977 says:

Going to go with 100 on the 2 to 3 line. Hate seeing these two in the lineup today. 1 through 5 will need to carry this team today.

75. Lad9 says:

To hit the line we need 38,688. May not be possible since the “sellout” on Friday was under 37K.

76. Lad9 says:

Reports say 8 years for $58 million

77. Reading says:

Routine grounder to short. Reason dude is playing in 3B-SS hole?

78. Bob Hasis says:

Surely you are kidding. Patton didn’t want to lose anything

79. Bob Hasis says:

Which dude? Are you referring to my favorite guy?

It was routine, but turned into a single. Besides no range, also no quickness and no arm.

I beg your pardon, I have a bad habit of repeating myself

80. BDHumbert says:

What is the over and under on a Pedro HR – day game – righty pitcher

81. tdb1977 says:

Lost satelite from heavy rain starting to move in. Located just 5 miles to the west, south west of PNC Park. Looks like rain is going to play a factor today.

82. cherokee23 says:

cue bob hasis

Uh oh.

84. cherokee23 says:

LOL

85. Lad9 says:

You beat me to it. But he will be right

86. BDHumbert says:

It’s not just Bob – I too would have cut my losses at this point on Barmes and Inge…

Lambo deserves a shot at right field – JT hitting .211 at Indy – seems like he might be pouting [again!]

Sanchez could start 2-3 games a week – pinch hit and allow them to only use McHenry in an emergency…

87. Reading says:

One-handed fielding of grounders. Don’t try that at home.

88. cherokee23 says:

Might be a silly question, but why doesn’t the grounds crew have rain gear?

89. Lad9 says:

Clarification. He is correct about Barmes’ skills in 2013. His range has declined steadily since 2009 to the point where he is getting to about 7% fewer chances per 9 innings than an average MLB SS. He was league average last year. I think the decline in his physical skills has highlighted his poor fundamentals – taking the ball on the glove side, throwing on the run, etc. In other words, he can’t hide his bad habits anymore. That being said, he still needs to play once in a while and I understand why he is in there.

Couldnt purchase them because they didnt have any Groupons………….

91. Bob Hasis says:

You’re having a bad day Cherokee; you’re 0-3 on silliness.

92. NastyNate82 says:

Its kind of hard for Inge to hit with that giant fork sticking out of his back.

93. JRay3 says:

I wonder what the rule of thumb is for managers is when it comes to how long a delay they will allow to keep starter in game? Is there a magic number that states too long of delay we go to the pen?

If Lohse has to leave game, advantage Pirates.

94. cherokee23 says:

lol…just having some fun

95. Bob Hasis says:

I’d say this is where the manager (who has the final decision), pitching coach and pitcher need to be in accord. No egos needed here, probably no hard set of rules either

96. Bob Hasis says:

I know that – you’re allowed

97. BDHumbert says:

Well I don’t get it – he adds no value as a bat – he is subpar as a defender. Harrison can play SS in an emergency – and D’arnaud is at Indy. I would DFA him in a heartbeat – along with Inge and McHenry.

98. Bob Hasis says:

Just watching these rain delay programs, and listening to Jay Bell, IMHO it would be Bell giving tutoring to Mercer more so than anyone else.

He sounds authentic

Isn’t that all inconsistent with you blaming Hurdle? Or do you not like him merely because he doesn’t do what YOU want?

100. War Horse says:

George Patton commanded American armies made up of many divisions of many soldiers and he rotated his divisions in and out of the line during WW II according to how much and how heavy their combat experience had been. That is something that all good commanders do. On a much smaller scale, a good field manager who runs a major leage baseball club uses the same logic. It has nothing to do with having a headache or being nervous or scared. George Patton lost his temper with some guys he thought were faking their symptoms of combat fatigue and were in the hospital. Possibly because in two wars, he didn’t experience it himself.

Let’s let Clint Hurdle and his command team decide which of his players needs a one-day break and when.

101. pattonbb says:

any word on when play will resume?

102. Double Deuce says:

Bill Plummer and Darrel Chaney also come to mind…

4:25

104. Barb says:

Nevrett just said 4:25.

105. pattonbb says:

Thanks

106. Brad will be glad. Was going to say elated, but that doesn’t rhyme with Brad.

Did Letang sign?!

Great. Just when I thought The Final Word was going to be dominated with Pirate talk

Will Rossi have to tweet in his opinions ?
    Shero!

109. Lad9 says:

Jandy won’t be heartbroken either. BTW, only the NHL would have a draft tracker site that lists the last round first, and the first round all the way at the bottom of the page. Garage league indeed…..

Some sites reporting he signed, some sites reporting a few minor details left.
    But it looks like a done deal.

111. Bob Hasis says:

You have accurately described Gen Eisenhower’s responsibilities, Head of the ETO, who provided soldiers to where replacements were required. Often add’l. equipment and replacement soldiers were unavailable – for numerous dangerous reasons – so Patton needed everyone whom he had that could stand.

But I apologize for bringing Patton’s name into these discussions, because I never felt baseball or any other sport should be labeled as a “war”.

I do apologize!

112. Ghost says:

I guess that really was two funny.

113. Ghost says:

“Just when I thought The Final Word was going to be dominated with Pirate talk.”
    How true. The hockey gods are trying to squeeze out Pirate talk all the way down to the last day of June. What we need is a good 20-year losing streak by the Pens to restore some semblance of balance.

114. War Horse says:

Sorry to disagree with you again, Bob, but Patton commanded two different armies in WW II — the 7th and the 3rd.

In military terms, an “army” is composed to two or more “corps,” and a corps of two or more divisions. Patton conferred with his subordinate corps commanders and they gave the divisions well-deserved rests behind the lines when it was felt they needed it. Ike did not interfere with his army commanders’ decisions, though he may have been involved along with his staff with some of the decision-making.

In the same way, neither Bob Nutting nor Neal Hunnington would interfere with Hurdle and his coaches’ decisions about when to rest his players. The issue you raised was whether players in modern day baseball deserve to be given days off from time to time, that somehow the old-timers were tougher and didn’t need breaks.

I say it’s Hurdle’s proper responsibility to make day to day decisions like these and not ours’ to criticize, however analagous you might suspect it is to what goes on in wartime.

In any case, apology accepted.

115. cmat0829 says:

Really? Brewers complain about length of Mazarro’s glove laces….I think if I were Vin I’d put one between the numbers, in this inning.

116. Ghost says:

Jandy is nowhere to be seen, yet a just felt a firm “thwap” up the back of my head.

Well the timing is now right to announce Cole’s demotion.

118. Ghost says:

Thwaps all around. Thwaps on me.

119. Lad9 says:

Turnabout is fair play but wait until the 8th or 9th….

120. tdb1977 says:

Speaking of this demotion – with Wandy going to be shelved longer, is there going to be a need to demote him to AAA?

121. tdb1977 says:

Nice time to have Pedro think about going yard again.

122. Reading says:

A hit would be nice.

Well if he starts July 9th he doesn’t need to start again before July 23rd without missing a start. Looks like a possible opportunity for the front office to send him down and let him get one start in Indy.

By the way, The Front Office might make a great prime time drama. Maybe a sitcom.

124. cmat0829 says:

BARMES gets the first hit…. now let that jumpstart the team… and Mazarro has pitched masterfully… shocked the Bucs haven’t capitalized on Thornburg

125. Ghost says:

The movie “Blog” is already in production. Oshkosh is putting the final touches on the screenplay.

126. Reading says:

3-2, two outs, Barmes should have been 3/4 of the way to third when the ball was hit and waltzed home on the single.

127. cmat0829 says:

waltzed home? nah. RF was very very shallow and ball was hit sharply. IMHO he could’ve been near 3rd when fielder got the ball and would’ve been dead duck at the plate with a good throw. With Marte coming up, that is a bad risk/reward equation to send him home there.

128. cmat0829 says:

Wow, do the Brewers want to get outta town or what? Give Vin credit, he took the mindset of efficiency to the mound to give the bucs innings and is throwing strikes… yet another superlative bullpen outing, to get Bucs through the 6th with using just 1 pitcher after the rain delay…and he barely threw 30 pitches!

LETS GET SOME RUNS!

129. cmat0829 says:

Maybe it’s those “long glove strings” that is the magic Vin is weaving… the Brewers’ freeswinging offense is mesmerized by the strings….

130. Ghost says:

Was just going to ask about that. Can’t see the game — following it here and on Yahoo! Sports. Sure looks like Mazzaro is pitching to perfection.

131. Lad9 says:

Completely agree cmat

132. Ghost says:

Doubt Mazarro goes out for any more, but he is, indeed, throwing perfect in relief. I wonder what the record for most perfect innings in relief is.

Is it a drama, comedy, or horror flick? I guess all of the above.

134. War Horse says:

Wilson is warming up. Now’s the time to get two runs.

135. cmat0829 says:

he is just pounding the strike zone… Brewers pitcher also pitching strikes, pirates are hitting balls hard but right at fielders…. time for a Pedro BOMB to wake up the crowd.

136. War Horse says:

Marte just made a nice running catch in right that other fielders would have let drop in for a hit. It’s one of the reasons why the Bucs give up so few hits and runs.

137. cmat0829 says:

Sometimes I dream at night about Pedro SITTING changeup and crushing one of those about 500 feet… not gonna complain about El Toro in midst of one of his amazing streaks, but to see him (and GI Jones too) swing fastball time after time vs. changeup…. it’s a bit offputting.

Well now, that certainly stunk.

139. Ghost says:

Thanks guys.

140. cmat0829 says:

left not right, but yes, i agree.. saw it in person in seattle, the ground that marte and cutch cover is amazing… under-reported ‘story’ of this season… speed and positioning of defense (including the dreaded shifts) making a big impact….

I think it’s kinda funny when people complain when a hit gets through a shift but never, ever comment on the many, many times hits are taken away by the shift.

141. cmat0829 says:

This might be one of those ‘luck evens out’ games… Bucs are crushing it with nothing to show for it…. Brewers get their run on error and bunt….

Wow, Nats pounding Mets 13-2.

143. cmat0829 says:

Playoffs, one suggestion…on your over/under lines, please add HBP as an option … LOL>

144. cmat0829 says:

Is anyone pounding the Mess really worth a wow?

It’s a cartoon.

146. Reading says:

You send him. The “another” hit never materializes. Should be tied.

147. cmat0829 says:

From the out of town scoreboard…. A’s have chased Westbrook and have a 6-5 lead in the Mauseleum….. Texas again shutting down the struggling Reds offense and lead 3-0 in the 8th…..

I haven’t watched the As at all this year… how are they doing it? I know it must be pitching, defense, timely hitting, but I can’t really name any players on their team other than Cespedes, Lowrie (only b/c I wanted the Bucs to pick him up) and Moss (only because I know he is actually hitting unlike his time in Pittsburgh)…..

148. Playoffs by 2012 says:

When do they play Cincy again?

149. Reading says:

Where’s our version of Bartman?

150. War Horse says:

The Pirates have the best fielding outfield in baseball. Best fielding has less to do with errors than with chances offered and outs or assists made. Combined with great pitching, it leads to wins.

That Brewers’ catch in left field was the outstanding play of the game.

Only four hits for both teams.

151. cmat0829 says:

Looks like Barmes has been productive while riding the pine… he has grown a “Wolverine” beard, perhaps he has a sponsor tie-in with Marvel Films and the upcoming release of The Wolverine in July?

152. pattonbb says:

About that Gaby Sanchez flyout – everyone sitting in the 1st row that got out of the way to allow the catch should be escorted out of the park and asked to never return.

153. Lad9 says:

Any word on the casting? How about Russell Crowe as DK, Jimmy Buffett as Drew, and Sela Ward as Jandy for starters? Ghost obviously would have been Patrick Swayze…

How can you be 3/4 of the way to a base when a ball is hit unless youre stealing?

155. cmat0829 says:

IMHO if you send Barmes there he is out with a medium to good through there and you take bat out of Marte’s hands completely.

It’s one thing to say ‘take chances’ and see what happens, another thing to claim it’s a tie game if they sent Barmes there. That’s a bit much.

157. Steelag70 says:

158. cmat0829 says:

I could be wrong, but don’t think so…. if the fans reach INTO the field of play the batter is out anyway… it looked like Shaffer caught the ball BEFORE it went into the stands and therefore fans can’t be blamed for not interfering…. but I didn’t study the replay, just my quick observations.

159. Lad9 says:

Dead out. Would not have been close no matter who was running.

What’s the score guys…checking in

161. Reading says:

The ball was not hard hit. An arching single. The kind of two out hit that other team’s routinely score on with a guy on second.

162. cmat0829 says:

Fort, please don’t throw to 2B unless you HAVE TO… please.

163. cmat0829 says:

Wow, is Fort trying to help the Brewers or the Pirates?

164. cmat0829 says:

1-0 friggin Brewers

165. Lad9 says:

Jandy! Bucs down 1-0 in the 8th

166. Ghost says:

A whopping 1-0. We’re chasing.

167. pattonbb says:

As long as the fan doesn’t reach into the field, they can do whatever they want. Looked to me like Schaffer took the hr away. Somebody should’ve given Schaffer an Iron City bath.

168. cmat0829 says:

Interesting… Roenicke managing like he’s given up… he doesn’t pinch run for the C Maldanado even though he pinchits C Lucroy…. odd.

169. Ghost says:

We’re never “down.” We’re *chasing.* :D

Thanks guys! It’s all I can do to keep up with a 21 month old. Check in again in a bit

171. Lad9 says:

Think of how bad Barajas was last year. We thought it was an upgrade when the Fort caught.

172. War Horse says:

Oops. I meant left.

173. cmat0829 says:

seriously what is the ruling if a fan deliberately threw beer or a hot dog or popcorn on a player on the field? I’d think fan interference … but not sure.

I somehow think that anything beyond just trying to catch the ball yourself, anything else a fan does, like perhaps grabbing at Shaffer’s glove, would be ruled interference….

+10

175. cmat0829 says:

exactly ..progress is going from pining for the For playing to praying for the Fort to hit the pine….

176. War Horse says:

Pedro was thinking FB and all he got was slow and breaking.

Russell Crowe? Charlie Sheen isn’t available?

178. cmat0829 says:

So, how are the Bucs gonna win this?

2R HR by Cutch, Walker or Jones in the 8th?
    Tie game with 1 run and then win in extras?
    Solo shot in 8th to tie it, then Russell Martin pinch hit HR in bottom of 9th to win it?
    Small ball?

179. cmat0829 says:

Interesting, 2 inning save chance for Henderson

180. cmat0829 says:

Segura is regressing to a mess in the field.

181. War Horse says:

If this Bucs team is going to compete seriously in the playoffs this season, it needs a stronger backup catcher than McKenry. I like him. He has given everything he’s got so far, but we may have something better to take his place at Indianapolis. Or elsewhere.

182. Lad9 says:

Very clever – and true

183. cmat0829 says:

I agree, would be easy enough to say ” we want the Fort to play every day at Indy, continue to work on his throwing, footwork, get his timing at the plate down, etc…’ he’ll be back in September or before if we need him……

184. cmat0829 says:

Cutch thinking HR makes me nervous…just a hit-…just a hit…

Cutch! Yay!

But he got thrown out at 2nd. Boo!

186. pattonbb says:

It’s a tied game!!

187. cmat0829 says:

GREAT …clutch base hit… don’t mind being agressive trying to get into scoring position by Cutch….good play by Brewers to cut off and get him at 2nd….

188. Lad9 says:

Cutch! Nice to see him come through with RISP!

189. Ghost says:

Or…. THAT might happen.

190. Reading says:

Exhibit A. The prosecution rests. 1-1.

191. War Horse says:

Rack that run up to Marte as well as Cutch. Most other runners would have been thrown out at the plate. The single was fielded on one hop in short left.

192. Steelag70 says:

How about G.I. Jones or Pedro with a solo shot to win it in the 9th?

193. cmat0829 says:

ok it’s option 2, but we can win it in the 9th, don’t have to go extras!!

194. Ghost says:

McCutch Clutch, as Nyjer Morgan used to say.
    And on that note, I think I’m gonna look up how Ol’ Nyjer is doing over in Japan.

195. War Horse says:

cmat you away to pessimistic. just sayin’

196. Lad9 says:

As Inspector Clouseau said when informed that the piano he just wrecked is a priceless Steinway “Not anymore”.

197. Reading says:

Two outs, 3-2 count. If you are running on the pitch, yeah you basically steal third if Mazzaro had walked.

198. cmat0829 says:

let’s do pedro…extend the hitting streak….CANNON BALL COMING

199. Dave G says:

Walker WOW!!!

Great D!!!!!!

200. cmat0829 says:

love it when a plan comes apart….

201. cmat0829 says:

nah, i was right..he swung single and succeeded.

202. Dave G says:

Segura was safe, actually

203. cmat0829 says:

what’s his stage name over in Japan?

204. Lad9 says:

Folks we are seeing a spectacular defensive series by our home grown second baseman.

205. cmat0829 says:

It was tie, and ties are supposed to go to the runner…. I’ve seen enough of those on the Bucco side, so I think we deserved that one.

Too bad John Candy isnt around……. he could have played me……………

207. Ghost says:

For your later viewing pleasure, happy to report that Tony Plush is doing just fine in Japan, after all.

Meanwhile, back to the game at hand…

And I thought Barmes’ last two throws were as good as it gets.

209. Steelag70 says:

Another outstanding job by this bullpen today!

210. cmat0829 says:

yes, another under-reported story, Walker’s D has been every bit as good as the ‘presumed gold glove’ Brandon Phillips…. but let Brandon ‘flash about’, Pittsburgh Neil will ‘get it done’.

Doofushibi Jacka$$aki. ;)

212. Ghost says:

Sorry to be the t _ _ _ in the punch bowl guys, but ties do not go to the runner. The rule clearly states that the runner must beat the throw to be safe.

213. Lad9 says:

Hideki Bush (as in league)

214. War Horse says:

I agree. The three replays show it. But, I suspect the Bucs are getting calls this year that they might not have gotten in the last 20. Go figure.

In any case, the call should have gone the Bucs’ way if only because Walker made such an awesome play in the field.

I don’t ever want to hear anyone moan on this blog again that Walker isn’t worth everything they pay him, or that there’s someone else in the system who’s better.

He’s as much a part of the core in this team as anyone else.

215. Lad9 says:

That is correct.

216. cmat0829 says:

agree… but also what Shaeffer taketh away on the leaping catch, his looping throw home giveth back

217. Steelag70 says:

Seriously??? Jahay???

218. cmat0829 says:

score one for the umps then!!!

219. Ghost says:

With the English-language press over there, he apparently has Tony Plush going.

220. cmat0829 says:

yes seriously… GI Jones at bats were terrible today and he ‘no hit lefties’.

221. cmat0829 says:

He’s the PIttsburgh kid, a leader on the team, and productive major league 2Bman. He will need to either learn to hit lefties or go into a platoon mode ,but yes he is part of the core.

222. Ghost says:

+ multitudes.

223. Steelag70 says:

I would still give him a chance…

224. cmat0829 says:

so does gaby try his luck on shaeffer again????

225. Ghost says:

Darvish just beat the Reds, 3-2.

226. Steelag70 says:

Ugggghhh….come on guys…let’s end this now.

227. cmat0829 says:

understand, but leading off an inning, a speedy guy makes more sense… now what JayHey should have done, with Gonzo finishing his pitches somewhere around the 3B dugout, was push a bunt up 1B line and get on base…..

228. cmat0829 says:

FORT, prove us wrong, we’ve been badmouthing you all day… go Inge and end this….

229. cmat0829 says:

pinch run for Gaby??

230. cmat0829 says:

wow, if i were manager, i’d pinch run Jordy and pinchit Martin

231. Lad9 says:

Use Liriano. :)

232. Steelag70 says:

I will take a hit too…

233. Dave G says:

C’mon Jordy….

234. cmat0829 says:

walkoff grand slam for Inge, as he continues his redemption tour?

235. Steelag70 says:

Now you pinch hit with Martin…

Fort, Barmes, and Inge all in one game.
    If we win this today, we will win the WS. If we win with those three, anything can happen………..

237. Dave G says:

C’mon, wild pitch…

238. pattonbb says:

*sigh*…..crap.

239. Barb says:

We need a better bat coming off the bench! UGH!

240. Steelag70 says:

Inge you STINK!!!

241. cmat0829 says:

wow, 83 MPH changeup on 3-2 count … some guts by Gonzo there… good pitch….can’t really blame Inge for swinging as you have to be aggressive.

242. Steelag70 says:

Sorry…disagree…Inge stinks…

243. Lad9 says:

OK Let’s do it in 10.

He had to swing at that. He may stink, but he had to swing.

And just as I was going to petition for his HOF bust……….. ;)

246. cmat0829 says:

My point wasn’t on stinkiness or not of Inge…it was on the pitch choice there… it was a ball, but can’t fault Inge for swinging….

247. cmat0829 says:

Balfour (now I know 4 A’s players) on in the 9th to close out the Redbirds…A’s 7-5, one out in the 9th.

Tough pitch to lay off. Gotta be looking fastball there, IMO.

249. War Horse says:

That was a helluva good pitch. I doubt if Cutch or Martin would have made contact with that one. It broke about a foot and a half.

I was surprised we didn’t see Martin, too, but I assume it had something to do with not burning your last catcher.

251. Ghost says:

I agree. Inge can’t take that pitch with two strikes already. Gonzalez rolled the dice and got him to miss with a down-and-outer that would have lost the game for him IF Inge wasn’t forced to chase it.

Correct.
    Never get thrown out at 3rd to end an inning, never look at strike 3 with the bases loaded and 2 out.

253. Steelag70 says:

Marte can win it with a HR…

254. cmat0829 says:

let’s have a Marte double, sacrifice to 3rd, intentional walk of Cutch… Martin pinch hit sac fly.

Fortunately Brad Pitt can cover me.

256. cmat0829 says:

A’s finish off the series win vs. the Cards…. 7-5. If…I mean WHEN Bucs win, they will be 2 games up on the “invincible” Cardinals…. and a bunch on the Reds…. and it may be double digits now on the wild card chasers….

257. Steelag70 says:

Why all that when he can just end it with one swing?

258. War Horse says:

Inge was correct to bat in that situation, if only because his record against that pitcher was off the charts. 2 HR in 5 AB. But my guess is thyat Clint was thinking bottom of the 10th for Martin if Inge doesn’t deliver.

Brillitant to uise Grilli in the 10th in a tie game. His chance to even up his W-L record.

259. Lad9 says:

A real under the radar name for the A’s is Josh Donaldson. Very good young third baseman.

260. Steelag70 says:

Geeez…we make this Brewer bullpen look like ours…

261. War Horse says:

Walker should always be the #2 hitter. Not Martin.

262. Steelag70 says:

Geeeeeebus….

263. cmat0829 says:

That at bat was Exhibit A-Z of what happens when Cutch thinks HRs… pull-happy and fairly weak swings. Pitcher never came close to giving him a pitch to pull…. Cutch has enough power to hit it out in RF…. when, when, when will he give in and stop trying to pull everything?

I love Cutch, and I’m not into being “debby downer” and nitpicking things, but this to me is a bigger issue that he needs to address…similar to Pedro adjusting to changeups…. they are good players but they can be BETTER

264. cmat0829 says:

against RHP,s yep… and vs. lefties, Walker should hit 8th or not at all.

265. Karen22 says:

YEP!

266. Steelag70 says:

267. cmat0829 says:

Serious question, why do so many Japanese players hit like they are playing Cricket, with running starts? Do they teach that there?

Pedro still surprises me sometime with his bullet throws.

269. cmat0829 says:

Wow, Melancon is so good… if hitters are too aggressive and chase, it is all they can do to even get a piece of the ball….. best approach is what Aoki tried to do…let it get deep and go the other way… but even that is tough for them to barrel up….

I love Cutch, too, but have to agree. Every pitch was away. It’s not rocket science.

271. Steelag70 says:

Ok…let’s end this NOW!

On the other hand, he did tie it up. :-)

273. War Horse says:

Walker’s work in the field is extraordinary, like that of Martin, Cutch and Starling (not to mention most of Pedro’s and Snider’s.) . If you have to PH for Walker in the late innings, fine. But the fielding superiority of the Bucs is, perhaps, the main reason they’re ahead of the Cardinals. Check the fielding and SB stats.

274. pattonbb says:

I like that he’s not afraid to show the arm off. The guy throws darts.

275. Steelag70 says:

Who is this Kintzler guy?? We make him look like Grilli…

276. Patrick(ri) says:

Just re-joined,so apologies if this is repetitive: I think Walker is playing 2B today like a champ.

277. Steelag70 says:

This smells a lot like the Reds game a couple of weeks ago…

278. pattonbb says:

Not repetitive at all. Can’t say enough about how well he’s been playing his position.

279. War Horse says:

What is not easy to undestand is that Andrew McCutchen has such extraordinary eyesight (way over 20-20), hand-eye co-oordination, physical reflexes and bat speed that he sees everything faster than most other batters and, that as a result, he pulls the ball naturally.

Maybe when he’s 30 years old or so everything will slow down enough so that he’ll hit .400.

280. Steelag70 says:

Watson has really hit his stride this month…

281. cmat0829 says:

Was a great article today by DK about Ray Searage… and the effect he is having on this Pirates staff…. one thing I have confidence in now is the Pirates ability to find guys with strong arms and good stuff….and Searage’s ability to harness it….

Watson is a great example….

282. War Horse says:

It’s gratifying to see the entire bullpen involved in an extra inning shutout. Wilson is the last man and Martin is on the bench.

283. cmat0829 says:

10 shutout innings by the league’s best bullpen today… let’s hope we can reward it now.

284. pattonbb says:

Jeff Locke is warming up!

285. cmat0829 says:

Reid is the last man… Wilson pitched in the 8th I believe

286. cmat0829 says:

makes sense, with the offday coming, they can go with Gomez on Tuesday…and not affect the rotation

287. Steelag70 says:

This Kintzler guy has our number it appears…

Watson was drafted by DL in the 9th round.

289. cmat0829 says:

Tony Watson channeling Jason Kendall, no batting gloves…. decent swing…

290. pattonbb says:

I think it’s a good move. Get through the next half inning, give Locke the ball and let him go until we can win it.

I hope they pinch hit for him.

292. cmat0829 says:

Watson a great example of Searage making the most of the talent…. I wasn’t really making yet another FO post.. but to be clear, this FO is good at finding pitching… DL wasn’t as good at that I don’t think…but no matter, In Ray we Trust.

293. Steelag70 says:

I blame the weather for this game…threw everything off stride…lol.

294. Lad9 says:

Tremendous column by DK. And though not mentioned, another exhibit A is Vin Mazzaro. ERA of 5.73 and a whip of 1.682 last year. No need to quote his stats this year. Ray Searage is truly the “White Wizard”.

296. cmat0829 says:

WOW, 24 innings of at bats by both teams, NINE total hits. Yikes.

297. Steelag70 says:

And Maldonado has three of the four Brewers hits…

298. cmat0829 says:

Brewers havent even had many baserunners to ‘test’ the Fort’s arm, or lack thereof.

299. cmat0829 says:

Maldanado is the Brewer’s Tabby… only wants to hit to RF… BUST HIM INSIDE>

Me neither. Just adding a fact based on what you said. Trying to keep it objective. (Repost from below)

301. Steelag70 says:

That is a positive for this game…

And he drilled one to right that was caught in this game.

303. tdb1977 says:

Lets END this NOW!

304. Steelag70 says:

Wow…Watson is on fire…

305. cmat0829 says:

Clint said today, I think, that Watson has ‘closer’ ability… earlier this season he had some tough spots (though for Pirates vs. rest of the league, even using the phrase tough spots with this bullpen is a stretch)….

Watson’s stuff is great.. PLUS fastball, some movement, and today I saw a very good change up….. he has more experience than Morris/Wilson, but the pen seems to be in good shape for the future also….

306. Steelag70 says:

307. Reading says:

Time to win.

308. War Horse says:

Oops. Fogive. I knew there was one man left. Got the wrong one. Apologies.

309. cmat0829 says:

why the brewers havent tried to bunt like, say, 9 innings ago now, is beyond me… Roenicke is ‘mailing it in’ as a manager… the pink slip will be here soon enough…

310. DemonDachshund says:

Please don’t let this go 19.

311. Steelag70 says:

Most teams are lucky to be two deep at the back of the pen…we are four deep!

312. cmat0829 says:

RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

313. tdb1977 says:

YES! Marte with the double! Come on Walker – bring him 90 feet closer.

314. Steelag70 says:

Marte Partay??

315. cmat0829 says:

I STILL think they should pick up a this year’s version of the Broxton pickup by the Reds last year… to fortify the bullpen even more….. give Melancon a breather now and then, and get experienced bullpen arm to help the young guys if/when the going gets tough….

316. pattonbb says:

Marte leads off with a double!!!! Time to win it!

Starling Marte proves the old saying correct……. you can’t teach speed.

318. cmat0829 says:

no bunt? wow, some on the blog can rejoice!

319. cmat0829 says:

i guess the view is that if they bunt, they walk cutch, and pitch to jayhey

320. Lad9 says:

Don’t even speak it!

321. Patrick(ri) says:

How about this? CH not bunting!

322. Lad9 says:

Just as good as a bunt

Walker acting like a #2 hitter.

324. cmat0829 says:

i would’ve bunted for the record. let the rest of the blog slam me for it.

325. Steelag70 says:

Just like a bunt…

326. cmat0829 says:

i’d pinch hit Martin here… more likely to hit a sac fly….. but it does set up nicely for a SQUEEZE with jayhey??

327. Patrick(ri) says:

Sorry, Cmat, slow typing, on my part.

328. Steelag70 says:

Come on Harrison….

329. cmat0829 says:

Roenicke doing the old Chuck Tanner, play 5 infielder ploy……

330. Lad9 says:

I would run on the first pitch. First and third late yesterday and the Brewers didn’t even throw down.

331. cmat0829 says:

SUICIDE SQUEEZE I SAY>>>>>

332. tdb1977 says:

If they are bringing Gomez in from center field – then all Harrison needs to do is bloop it into Center and game over.

333. Patrick(ri) says:

I just like taking three shots at a win.

334. War Horse says:

Cutch steals.

335. Steelag70 says:

336. tdb1977 says:

Pedro is on deck!

337. cmat0829 says:

WOW>>. 80 MPH on 3-2 count….. how can you be a hitter in today’s MLB? these pitchers never ever throw fastball when you expect it

338. cmat0829 says:

PEDRO think single… don’t need a HR….. but we’ll take it :)

339. cmat0829 says:

SIT OFF SPEED PLEASE

340. Steelag70 says:

No vacancy Pedro….end this now!!

341. Dave G says:

Pedro faces the weirdest shift ever. Center fielder moves in to play third.

342. pattonbb says:

….crap

343. tdb1977 says:

*&^T*(&^%*&^%(*&^(*&()*&^*(%

344. Dave G says:

…and grounds into a double play with the bases loaded and 1 out.

Well now, that stinks, part 2.

346. Lad9 says:

Not a pitch he could drive on 2-0. Not smart!

347. cmat0829 says:

I’m sorry, but Pedro should not be swinging 2-0 at a pitch that he can’t put in the air…. need to greatly improve situational awareness across the board… Walk said it best… “try to pull it and it’s tougher to put in the air”….

Is this Japanese? ;)

349. Steelag70 says:

Unbelieveable….twice with the bases loaded today and we don’t get it done…

350. Patrick(ri) says:

+lots.

351. Reading says:

Unreal.

352. Steelag70 says:

He and Cutch need the same lesson..

353. Steelag70 says:

Watson is a beast….three innings…

354. Dave G says:

Patience, gentlemen. Haven’t lost this thing as of yet.

355. War Horse says:

Methinks these five act Shakespearean dramas are a bit much. What say you?

356. Steelag70 says:

Yes Dave, but you cannot squander opportunities like that…

357. Steelag70 says:

Gaby, Fort and Mercer can now be the hero…

358. pattonbb says:

LOL…..Segura jumps the gun. PICKED OFF!!!!

359. Lad9 says:

Pick, pick, pick off! Sorry long game.

360. tdb1977 says:

Thanks for the caught stealing. Now come one Gaby, Michael, or Jordy. One of you need to end this madness. Need to stay away from the 19 inning game really badly.

361. Patrick(ri) says:

Spy vs spy! That is the way to take advantage of them trying to take advantage of the Fort– pick em off.

362. Patrick(ri) says:

Rickey was overdue.

363. Kevin says:

Brewers been trying to give us runs all game. Pirates not buying.

364. twentytwo22 says:

The Pirates sacrificed in the 9th against Seattle and Mercer got the 2 out basehit to win the game.

McKenry doesn’t attempt to bunt the winning run to second?

365. twentytwo22 says:

Stolen base. Thank God.

366. Dave G says:

Gaby with a steal!

367. cmat0829 says:

WOW a stolen base by Gaby….. and the Fort isn’t catching for the Brewers either…

368. pattonbb says:

51 and counting……

369. tdb1977 says:

PIRATES WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

370. Dave G says:

PIRATES WIN! RUSSEL MARTIN!

371. cmat0829 says:

RAISE IT!!!! GABY SANCHEZ’ speed and baserunning does it… :)

372. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

YAY!!!

Raise the Tired Jolly Hippo.

Wont have any problems sleeping tonight. ;)

374. twentytwo22 says:

hahaha a;sbwowoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ;fsadlgbkadgberq3rqg
    6hyw

hy
    hyweuhyjj g WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hahaqhah

375. Reading says:

Exhibit B. Ballgame!!!!

And…………………..

WE ARE 2 GAMES IN FRONT OF DA REDBIRDS !!!!!!!!!!

377. Patrick(ri) says:

Hand it to Msrtin, getting it after 8 hrs! I have trouble getting off the couch to grab a beer.

378. Kevin says:

Last man finally delivers the knockout. Awesome.

379. Dave G says:

Gaby ran like a freight train around third.

51-30 at the half way mark.

2 game lead over the Cards!

380. Lad9 says:

Raise it. TEAM win! It’s been said before, but YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!

381. tdb1977 says:

3 STRAIGHT SWEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

382. Dave G says:

LOL @ the creme pie to Martin courtesy of AJ!

383. cmat0829 says:

how good is it to make those rotten Brewers wait 6 1/2 hours to get SWEPT back to Milwaukee….. how sweet it is!!!

Take your free-swinging, funamentally challenged,bunch of slow pitch softball players, LAST PLACE sorry-ass team back to where it came from.

Tell us how you REALLY feel!

Oh, and you forgot PED-taking too. ;)

386. twentytwo22 says:

When I saw Locke warming up in the bullpen I had the same thought to that game against Cincinnati when they showed Zagurski warming up, ‘Oh crap we have to win this ball game here’. Won both games and now Locke can make his scheduled start.

387. Dave G says:

Bucs pitchers yield 4 hits over 14 innings, including a long rain delay.

UNNNNbelievable!

Underline ___FOR___ REAL___

388. pattonbb says:

That’s exactly what I was about to say….except you left out a Cryin’ Ryan reference.

#BUCN

389. Patrick(ri) says:

Gabby is the unsung hero, with the SB. Should have been the hero, but for nice play earlier. He played a very solid game. This is a team in the best sense of the word.

390. tdb1977 says:

Hope you dont mind me taking this and using it because this is exactly how I feel right now.

391. diehard says:

I’ve held on to “cautiously optimistic” all year. Okay, officially, I’m in.

Qualifier – Not sold on Pedro being more than a couple of monster hot streaks, rather than a guy you can depend on daily. And not sold a move that doesn’t make sense (in the vein of Casey McGehee for Chad “You;re killin’ me” Qualls) will be made just to say we made a move.

But for this team as I whole, I’m finally sold.

392. Karen22 says:

UN…BE…LIEV…ABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

393. DemonDachshund says:

Had you told me at the beginning of the year that the Bucs would be 51-30 at the halfway point, I would have laughed in your face.

Had you told me that in the first half of the year, a full rotation’s worth of starters (AJ, Wandy, JMac, Liriano, Karstens) and then some (Morton) would spend time on the DL, my guess would have been closer to 30-51.

Ho Hum.

Getting easy.

395. DemonDachshund says:

They need a RF. Not saying that they need to give up a top prospect for one, but they need someone better than Snider and Tabby out there. And Lambo or whatever it is in Indy isn’t it.

Fortunately, it shouldn’t take much to improve upon a guy with a .645 OPS. Of course, the Bucs have needed that guy for years now without being able to find him.

396. War Horse says:

I watched every pitch and every run of this ball game from my vantage point overseas, rain delay and all via MLB-TV. It was a rewarding win against an inferior team.

So, what’s the lesson here?

Earlier this wek, the Bucs fielded a team without two of their position starters and they needed them at the end to get the win. Do you think they’ll sit Cutch and Martin if we make it to the WS? I don’t think so. But if we are going to make it to the WS, what will it take in the way of resting the key players during the regular season? Is it smart to rest a good man from time to time to keep him fit for August & September (never mind October)? Or does the resting do as much or more good as having him in the lineup for important games during the regular season? I dunno. One thing I know is that they sat Pedro for a week earlier this month and he came out of his enforced time off blastin the ball like never before.

397. Playoffs by 2012 says:

SPECIAL SECOND HALF PICK ‘EM LINE

This line will be closed at the time of the first pitch of Tuesday’s game against the Phillies

Max “wager” is 250 units on this special line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Second Half Pick ‘Em Line
    Total WINS by the Pirates in the Second Half of this season
    0 – 30 (TRIPLE ODDS)
    31 – 37 (EVEN ODDS)
    38 – 44 (EVEN ODDS)
    45 or More (DOUBLE ODDS)

GOOD LUCK!!!

398. John Lease says:

51!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31 more to go, but 51 is nice.

399. diehard says:

True, they need more production in RF, but I’ll respond to that with this – At what cost?
    I’m not willing to sacrifice another x-number of losing seasons just for one good one. (See Tampa Rays not trading for Jason Bay – they made no move that year, and because they gave nothing up and rode that season out, they have stayed competitive in their division for 6 straight seasons.)

Are you going to repost this in the Morning threads? I cant remember what I has for lunch yesterday, let alone this offer. ;)

401. JRay3 says:

Just unreal to look at some of these numbers:

51-30, 28-13 at PNC, 24-13 vs Central, 9-4 vs Milwaukee

2 games up in Central, 10 games up for a playoff spot

Today the bullpen throws 12 innings of shutout ball, does not allow a single walk led by Vin Mazzaro’s 44 pitch, five inning effort. Today was all men on deck for the victory, and Was that Gaby Sanchez with a hit against a RHP and key stolen base? Cutch with the big hit when team needed it, key contributions from everybody.

9 straight wins, 6 sweeps this year, 3 consecutive

The bandwagon is filling up now.

Well, I offer to get a follow-behind wagon for me, so there is more room up front. ;)

I say this every time we play the Brewers:
    They lead the league in bone-head plays, and are have very poor fundamentals.

Great win. Great…and long day at the ballpark!

I gotta go dry out. (and get a drink!)

I forgot you went to the game!
    Great job bringing back a win.

406. Keith says:

I’ll take 200 on 45 or more. Yeah, it’s real this time. I might be inclined to say 40-44, but the line is the line, man.

The luck in my lucky hat was not washed out by the rain.

I am 8-0 this year…so far

408. Ghost says:

You can say that again!!

You ARE getting playoff and WS tickets aren’t you???

Think those would sell out?

Depends on the walk up sales.

And if they offer a Groupon.

413. tdb1977 says:

Going 250 on the 45 or more line! I’m drinking this kool-aid and its darn good.

414. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Here are the up to date standings.

CONGRATS to Dadtacklular for having the most points in the month of June
    CONGRATS to Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) for having the most points in the first half of this season.

Please contact me at buccooverunder-at-gmail-dot-com in order to claim your prizes.

TOP SCORES IN JUNE

JD ~ -875
    Kevin ~ -1030
    Jandy ~ -1075
    Bizrow ~ -3600

***The Most Points for the end of JULY will win:***
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES BUMPER STICKER

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER

415. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I shall.

416. Playoffs by 2012 says:

YOU GOT IT

417. Playoffs by 2012 says:

YOU GOT IT

418. Karen22 says:

250 on 45 or more…goin’ for broke…what the hey!

419. Playoffs by 2012 says:

YOU GOT IT

420. Lad9 says:

Well, I have been on the Bucco train since the days of Don Schwall, Andre Rogers, Frank Bork, and John Gelnar so I can’t be accused of bandwagon jumping. So I will hop on the A- train, drink the kool aid, and go all in. Give me 250 Jolly Rogers on 45 or more. Thank you Playoffs. Go Buccos!

421. Lad9 says:

ESPN leads with the NBA. So not surprised.

422. cmat0829 says:

Nice win… well-deserved day off for the Bucs… if I’m Hurdle, I think I go ahead and give Gaby an extended run at starting at 1B with Jones-y in Right…. Snider was given a pretty good run, so pre ASB let’s see if Gaby can seize the job….. if he can, then the RF pick up can be a true platoon partner for Jones…. if he can’t we’ll need an everyday RF and let Jones/Gaby platoon at 1B.

423. BDHumbert says:

Newbie says all in on the 45 – give me 250 – actually think they will win 47-48 – the second half schedule look a bit easier…

hello, Newbie. Welcome to the Asylum :)

If you post your hometown, Bizrow will add it to the list of Dejan’s Lunatics’ Asylum.

We hope to see more of you here!

425. BDHumbert says:

Midland, Pa – home of the best high school basketball team ever – the 1965 Leopards – coached by the original Coach K [Hank Kuzma] and led by the late great Norm Van Lier and Simmie Hill. They were greatly aided by me graduating in 1964 ;-)

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back