Final: Pirates 6, Phillies 5

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (51-31) vs. Philadelphia Phillies (40-44)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. LHP John Lannan

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jordy Mercer, SS
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Jose Tabata, RF
  8. Neil Walker, 2B
  9. Locke, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

WEDNESDAY PICK ‘EM!!!

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Today’s Pick ‘Em Line
    Total WALKS by Pirates Hitters in tonight’s game
    0-1 (EVEN ODDS)
    2-3 (EVEN ODDS)
    4-5 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    6 or More (TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE ODDS)

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).

GOOD LUCK!!!

2. cmat0829 says:

100 on 4-5…what the heck

3. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Missed it by that much………..

on my lineup prediction. Oh well.

Hey, does anybody know if that is Clint’s pretty hand writing on the lineup cards?

4. blazer says:

100 on the 2-3 please!

5. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

100 on the 2-3

6. cmat0829 says:

i think it is banister, believe i heard neverett say something about it last year… leave it to neverett to mention something so trivial

7. Matt hoffman says:

100 on the 4-5 please.

8. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

It sure is pretty though….

9. Keith says:

I’ll try 100 on 4-5. Thanks.

10. Keith says:

I love the Mercer-2, Martin-5 lineup. It puts Martin in the other half of the lineup, which yesterday was a disaster.

11. TJ says:

Would love to see Locke put up another good showing before the all-star teams are announced. He needs another W on the resume.

12. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Garrett Jones caught the Adam Laroche bug; HR late in the game when didn’t really matter. Strike out with bases loaded.

13. Karen22 says:

100 on 2-3

14. BDHumbert says:

50 on 4-5

baby steps…

15. Tom P. says:

I don’t know that the HR was that late in the game. It came with 2 outs in the sixth, right after McCutchen grounded into a double play. After the HR, Alvarez walked, so the tying run was at the plate. The go ahead run was on base in the 8th when they were loaded with 2 out. (But yeah, I was hoping for some RBI earlier in the game).

16. Lad9 says:

We will go with 100 guarinis on 2-3 walks please. Thank you Playoffs. Go Buccos!

17. Nate83 says:

100 on 4-5. Thanks.

18. Lad9 says:

Going to game tonight and pretty stoked. Will be in section 113. Take care of the asylum tonight and let’s go Bucs!!!

19. cosmo says:

100 on the 2-3 line.
    thanks

20. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Yea, I know it wasn’t the AL 8th or 9th inning variety, but I was disappointed with that AB all together.

It took a great throw to nail Jordy on that attempted double, but it was that kind of night. That play really hurt, especially when it was followed immediately by a hard single. Ouch!

22. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I missed it. that’s a tough attempt

Anyone else see this article? I found it interesting.

I don’t know if you will be able to link from it. Anyway, the writer basically said that the Pats knew when they drafted Hernandez that he was a very bad seed, yet they did it anyway because he was a good TE. Then, as evidence mounted that he was not a good guy (including a very damning quote from Matt Light), they showered him with a $37 million dollar deal to re-sign. Only after they found out he was going to be charged with murder and all of the gun violations did they “do the right thing.” The jersey buy back was an attempt to make themselves look good.

24. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I liked the jersey by back idea.

25. BDHumbert says:

and Pedro will need to get hot again to have any chance of being added as a sub/HR Derby participant – which I would love to see…

26. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

ha ha, “buy” back…

27. Nate83 says:

Why do you think that? I think he is in the top 4 in HR’s for the NL. He is part of the tremendous story that is the Pirates and he hits mammoth home runs which is always a crowd pleaser for these type of event. I don’t think he is a lock to do it but I think odds are better that he does then he doesn’t.

The Phillly LF Brown went over near the line and grabbed the shot Jordy hit, and made a perfect throw to 2b to just get Jordy. In retrospect, down 3-0, you cannot go there. Took a perfect throw to get him, but you just can’t chance it. It was the kind of chance Marte takes, but we can’t have either of them doing it there. 1st run meant nothing.

Or, am I wrong and it was already 3-1? Now, I’m doubting myself. Regardless, it was a bad decision by Jordy.

I guess that was needed.

But, you know the 4-letter network will protect their hometeam, and Goodell will also.

Of course, when some teams have a player do something wrong, that certain network handles it a bit differently.

This Hernandez stuff, and I don’t just mean the initial killing, is really getting chilling. They seem to be trying to link him to previous murders in Boston, plus some shootings in Gainesville while he was at Florida. Who knows at this point what is true, but this is sad … and also more bizarre by the day.

Clint was asked about that after the game. What he said basically was that to him it was the wrong thing to do in that situation. But, the aggressive way is what they teach and he wasn’t going to criticize it because it’s the way they play.

32. OZ says:

100 on 4-5

Thx!

33. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

That’s when I found out about the play AW, I didn’t know who it was though.

34. Kevin says:

all 100 tamales on the 6 or more please, Mr. Playoffs, sir. I’ll also predict the game score. I predict the pirates win it 1-0 in the 15th inning.

Tied for third.

I didn’t see the play, either.

37. Kevin says:

the question is.. later in the game, if that hadn’t happened, does Marte try for 2nd… because that throw was right on the money and waiting for Marte too.

While stuck in major traffic on the way home I was listening to a sports talk show (the hosts knows a lot more about hockey than baseball). The host was commenting on DK’s article and basically said that the players haven’t won anything so they don’t get a say in who should go or if there should be no trades.

He then said that he would look to upgrade right field and get a reliever to help the tired bullpen.

Now I can see the batting averages and power numbers to know that we could use an upgrade in RF. But why do so many people think this bullpen is tired!?

I don’t see blown leads. I don’t see a lot of walks. I don’t see them giving up a lot of runs. Those would be signs that they are tired.
    They are not tired now ….and they may never get tired

39. Frankie says:

100 on 2 -3

As always Thanks

“…knows a lot more about hockey than baseball.”

You answered your own question.

I think if his average is .240+ (no given, at this point) he has a great chance of being named to the AS team.

42. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Right. If you add to the BP, who do you get rid of?

43. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Everyday there’s a new link to this story. Who knows which is connected or not, but this guy is just bad news.

Chris Rainey was a teammate at Florida too.

I think you are correct, Thunder. They have more guys, between Indy and Pgh, that are capable arms in their pen. They can handle more innings than most teams, as a result.

Tebow balances is out, I guess. Haha!

46. tomp says:

INGE!!!!!

Any roster move, at any position, should come at his expense.

Maybe when Burnett returns, they finally pull the plug on this Jack#$%!!

I just hope Hurdle finally realizes a great veteran presence , that can’t hit his weight, and comes up empty every time a big Ab is needed, is not what a playoff aspiring team needs.

I am sure the rest of the guys would quickly get over his departure.

Bring back Drew Sutton!.

Great addition to the conversation, Jim.

Even IF you were to believe that the bullpen is tired, and you could actually name said pitcher(s) is/are tired, why is it assumed that they must go outside the organization to find their replacement?

Despite the narrative, the Pirates got good performances from three minor league arms last year after September callups in McPherson, Wilson, and Morris.

Why not try Vic Black, Duke Welker, Jose Contreras, or Stolmy Pimentel?

48. Bill Born says:

100 on the 4 – 5 Line
    Please

Not sure why you feel the need to call him a jack*ss.

But I do like your overall point.

Again, IF you determine the bullpen to be tired – as a whole – then it stands to reason that an 8th man could provide more value than the last pinch hitter on the bench. Especially given the quality of said pinch hitter.

Good point about no need to call him a name. He seems like a good guy. But, he needs to go.

My son has begun calling him “Cringe.” As in, dad, Cringe is pinch hitting again.

Exactly!! Arms abound in this organization.

I heard that “host,” too. Traffic was horrible all over. I tried to get around it and would just run into a different bottleneck.

53. Dadtackular says:

100 leftover $ from the Penguins Payroll on 0-1

54. JRay3 says:

Some interesting new being reported by 24/7:

Pirates going to give Tabata shot to be everyday RF, if that is the case he probably has couple of weeks to make impression before team decides what to do with that position.

AJ Burnett could pitch this weekend as Sunday is TBA after Liriano and Morton go Fri, Sat. Burnett says he does not feel he needs rehab as he did not injure arm and through 55 pitches Tuesday with no issue. Going to be great to insert him back in there.

One last chance for Locke to make an impression before All-Star selection, I will say again based on numbers he is an All-Star.

Go Bucs!

55. JRay3 says:

50 on 2-3….thanks and let’s get back into ‘W’ column.

100 nuke nuggets on 4-5

Thanks Playoffs

Won’t post the list tonight, but if you are a new blogger, please drop a line as to where your current location is, preferably a reply to this post.

Thanks to the lunatic that saw DuBois listed twice, list is fixed.

Beat Em Bucs

Go like 60

58. Vette60 says:

Thanks.

I’ll take 100 on the 4-5 line please.

Randy in RVA

59. pattonbb says:

His HR would’ve came with runners on base had Cutch not hit into another double play right before.

60. pattonbb says:

He was the best TE in the draft, but didn’t go until the 4th round. Every team in the NFL knew he was a bad seed. Somebody was going to gamble on him.

New England tried to do what Florida did for a few years and “look the other way”. Didn’t work out. Now they’re trying to save face.

61. Jeff says:

Strasbourg, France (Just for the summer)

62. Jason81 says:

100 on 4-5, please!

63. pattonbb says:

Hurdle says he’ll give Tabata a chance to win the everyday RF job. He also said he wasn’t “caught up in just numbers…wants to see some fire and passion”.

Not caught up in just numbers? Somebody might want to remind Clint that his team’s in a pennant race.

We’ve waited 4 years to see Tabata turn into that stud outfielder that the so-called “experts” claim he projects to be. What’s one more?

Anyone but Tabata. ANYONE.

64. Ghost says:

Interesting, about Tabata. But I like it. Basically, give him one last, all-out chance to show if he belongs around here or if it’s time to move on. Frightfully close to the trade deadline with this final road test, though.

65. stickyweb says:

Playoffs,
    I’ll take 100 on the 0-1 line. Thanks.

66. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may I have 50 Tabatas on the 2-3 line?

67. Ghost says:

I think you’re right about our in-house answers should we suddenly need another middle-innings arm. But I personally wouldn’t mind bumping someone down (say, Gomez, into the bullpen) if the right player from another team happened to fall into our lap. Purely hypothetical, but say the Cubs offered us Matt Garza for a few of those AAAA arms we’ve been stockpiling between the parent club and Indy?

68. Karen22 says:

Good strategy re: Tabata. But he MUST stay healthy. Any sign of muscle problems, gotta jettison him. He actually impressed early in the season. This will be a most interesting July.

69. Bob Hasis says:

I wonder if it will be the same kind of an opportunity that Presley and McLouth received, or for that matter, Mercer until CH ran out of patience with Barmes.

You ask “what’s one more” (year obviously); I will settle for one month. But be alerted, . His fielding MUST show he knows the importance of every play, and his base-running must show he’s been there before.

Being a solid hitter is an important step however.

70. Ghost says:

“Go like 60″

Is that like, “Drive it like you stole it!” ?

Mr. Playoffs,

I would like 100 Hippos on the 2-3 line tonight.
    Philthy is a free-swinging lot.

Thanks.

Jim, it was 3-1.

I tried to reason with someone on here last night that Mercer made a bad decision. I understand Clint wont criticize it, but when down 2 runs, you simply cannot try to stretch it. If they were tied, I say go for it.

Glad to see I am not the only idiot in this village………

I posted another link below, about a second “secret” apartment, that police are getting a ton of evidence from.

Interestingly, one of his accomplices ratted this info out.

Mr. Hernandez is digging a deeper hole.

74. Naje says:

Hurdle’s pre-game presser was fantastic. What a tribute he gave to this team.

75. Johnny Ray III,

Thanks for sharing that info.

I agree with Casper the Friendly and Love-ly Karen———give Tabata a shot. No one else has taken the position by storm. And 3 weeks should let Bucs know if they need to go out and get a rightfielder at the Trading Deadline.

76. If he loafs one time, they ought to jettison him. We don’t need that junk now. Marte got spanked for it and Tabata has done it before.

77. cmat0829 says:

Barring injuries, the rotation is AJ/Locke/Liriano/Morton/Cole. The bullpen is Grilli/Melancon/Watson/Wilson/Morris/Mazarro/Gomez.

If we are going to speculate on adding someone, let’s be accurate as to the corresponding moves… Gomez is already ‘in the bullpen’… Reid is about to go back to Indy when AJ is activated.

The next move, either because Wandy is healthy or if they add an outside arm, means either Morris or Wilson is optioned (because they have options) or you have to DFA Mazarro or Gomez and risk them being claimed…and they will be.

The other move would be CL, I mean DL…which is always possible.

78. War Horse says:

35 on the 2-3 pls

Oh goody!!!

Blass is on the air.

I will sleep well tonight. ;)

80. cmat0829 says:

I think Clint is saying that “even if Tabata’s numbers are decent, if he doesn’t play with fire and go all out then he doesn’t get to play every day”. No issue there. We all know the talent is there, the issue with Tabby is two-fold…injury prone and lack of hustle at times.

I LOVE this move. No doubt that Snider had a good , long look and didn’t seize the spot…. Gaby really can’t hit RHP well enough and GI Jones isn’t on fire enough to play in RF and have Gaby play first…. so let’s see what Tabata can do.

If he fails, then the Bucs will HAVE to pickup an everyday rightfielder at the deadline… if he gets hot, then he can keep the every day job… if he is ‘adequate’, then perhaps the Bucs go for a lH platoon partner for Tabby,,,

lots of options, but I like it

81. cmat0829 says:

I think we all had seen quite enough of McLouth part II, if that is what you are referring to…. and I personally think Alex has had enough chances.. but I won’t quibble with those that think he deserved a longer look. I just think Tabby has more talent than any of the RF candidates including Snider…if he can only get it together…. that’s a big IF…and he may not be able to.

82. cmat0829 says:

um, the “other paper” posts links to the pregame comments, can we request the same from the blog and/or site?

83. Naje says:

I trust that Dejan will write about it… exacting in the details of how he sees the team.

84. Dave G says:

Y/W, Biz

I am at the game…and am not engulfed in a sea of red

86. JRay3 says:

Let me be the first to say it:

With that single I think Tabata seems to have finally figured it out

88. JRay3 says:

Pedro rips one off the lefty to break his mini hit less string, and than Tabata with a shot thought the right side in first AB back. Is it just me or does Tabata look a little leaner as well?

89. Dave G says:

Hey this guy we have in right field tonight is now batting .280

90. Kevin says:

woot leadoff hits!

91. Kevin says:

bases full of buccos n no outs… lets see how they might possibly screw this up. gotta get atleast 2.

92. JRay3 says:

And who says Walker can’t hit from the right side of the plate? Bases juiced time for a crooked number.

93. Bdhumbert says:

Giving Tabata a chance before trading for a bat makes sense.

94. cmat0829 says:

Interesting… per Neverett, CH has been talking to Neil about “continuing to hit right handed”….another example of the ‘new’ Clint Hurdle this year… I’m sure he will give Neil a chance to turn it around, but I don’t think he can keep hitting so weakly RH and continue to do it…..

95. cmat0829 says:

:) he slugged that grounder about 62 feet

96. Kevin says:

wow bases loaded jinx for sure.. wtf :(

UGH!!!

Bases loaded, nobody out, no runs scored.

You simply cannot leave runners on.

Thru 2, Pirates 5 LOB.

98. Bob Hasis says:

There was so much congestion in the competition for that spot – none of the three and include Gorkys if you want had received the chance that Snider, and now Tabata again may receive.

Obviously McLouth had much more in his tank as he is showing in Baltimore. Presley has been a whipping boy. The minute his options are done and he is DFA’d someone or several will claim him.

99. Kevin says:

do they keep records for LOB (left on base)? 5 so far thru 2.

100. pattonbb says:

Yea, I get that. But they’ve been giving him chances for 4 years now.

Maybe he’ll finally figure it out.

101. florida steeler says:

nine last night. This team is so offensively challenged it is wonderful they are winning but can they keep it up blowing chance after chance??

102. cmat0829 says:

Maybe you were the ONE who wanted McLouth to keep playing, but I seem to remember “torches and pitchforks” on this here blog regarding Nate the Great…. and as to Presley, that’s what roster limits are for… to give young guys like him a chance if his current team doesn’t have room for him… if he flourishes, then great… but I don’t think it would have been for lack of giving him a chance.

103. JRay3 says:

Well have had a few chances with runners on this series and just have not manufactured the big timely hit.

Would of liked to have broken game open a bit there, good thing Locke is dealing once again.

104. Dave G says:

Nice feature on the couple who got married at PNC tonight. Lots of friends and family with them..

Obviously, they had a groupon.

That was an EXCELLENT play by Walker/Martin!!!!

106. cmat0829 says:

Neil Walker with a GREAT THROW and MVP Russell Martin BLOCKED THE PLATE beautifully…and the Phils are kept scoreless…. Locke thought he may have given up a HR and instead he escapes unharmed!

107. Dave G says:

Martin blocks the plate and the Bucs D shines again!

108. JRay3 says:

Unreal, Martin blocks the plate and perfect throw from Walker saves a run and ends the inning. Thought that one was gone. Pitching and defense, pitching and defense.

109. pattonbb says:

Holy Crap!!

Russell Martin continues to make a world of difference behind the plate.

110. Eric Bowser says:

Since Stuart doesn’t want me talking hockey on here…..

nice play by Walker to throw strike to Martin, who had perfect block at the plate.

111. Kevin says:

that was so many things all at once… we almost give up a run to their pitcher and instead he gets blocked at the plate and tagged out. I cried, then I laughed.

112. cmat0829 says:

i’m actually encouraged we are getting on base….that’s far superior to striking out 12+ times… and not putting pressure on the other team….. Marte stung the ball but right at the SS…. seems the Pirates have been fortunate on the other side a ton, with our pitchers escaping jams with balls hit into our defense…etc.

That is the second perfect throw in as many days for Walker. :)

+100

115. Dave G says:

Good thing Meals was behind the plate last night instead.

116. Bob Hasis says:

He better check with Meals – Lannan might have been safe according to Meals way of umpiring

117. cmat0829 says:

totally… barajas would’ve left the 5-hole open and bobbled the catch….. and the fort too .

What do you think of the DoooPwee/Tanger signings?

Who was the guy on here earlier this week that was complaining about the crappy throws from the outfield…all over baseball

120. florida steeler says:

Phillies announcers very complimentary of the Walker/Martin play. “Martin not afraid of some pitcher coming in at him.”

121. Kevin says:

yay another baserunner!

122. JRay3 says:

Yep keep giving yourself the opportunity eventually you will cash in. They have Lannan pretty well measured up, should get few more shots.

123. Kevin says:

to be fair, mccutchen did 3-hop it to walker..

124. cmat0829 says:

Full house tonight… Pittsburgh is ‘doing its part’… since DK’s article, 5 crowds 31K+, 3 sellouts.

125. pattonbb says:

No doubt. Walker continues to show out too. Great throw.

Welcome Jeff, what are you doing there?

127. cmat0829 says:

Martin way way too eager vs. Lannan… he wasn’t going to give him a fastball… need to show more patience… especially if sac fly gets a run….

128. Ghost says:

You’re right. I keep forgetting that Morton is, for now, in the rotation. But — and I stress that I’m only talking about if we are offered a top-line pitcher (such as Garza) — I wouldn’t have too much trouble dropping Morton. He is to our pitchers what Tabata is to our outfield. Promises, promises; not much to show for it.

DK —- the Pulse of Pittsburgh Sports. :)

(and Groupons)

Ghost, the PBC wins games they should not, they come from behind, win tight games

Go like 1960

The Impossible Pirates

I just have that feeling

And its been a long, long time

Could be cornfused ;-)

131. JRay3 says:

Certainly looks electric, can’t wait to be out there next Sat / Sun for Mets series, just a majestic place.

Easy team to get behind in my opinion just the way they play and battle.

132. Dave G says:

6 LOB in the first three innings.

Good thing most of us have no memories, no brain cells left ;-)

TC its up to you to bring home a win

134. JRay3 says:

Better approach was needed, surprising that Lannan isn’t known as a strike out pitcher but certainly has racked up a few of them when he has needed them.

Not good

But getting chances, just need to cash one or two or three in

Why be fair?

I say that guy probably knows more about hockey than baseball.

137. Eric Bowser says:

Am I allowed to give my opinion on hockey?

LOL

I’m fine with Letang deal, they’ll have to follow that deal by really getting the younger defenseman significant roles in the next two years. I want to see Bortuzzo, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Maatta, and Harrington get their fair chances by ’14-15 to prepare team for life without Martin and possibly without Orpik.

As for Dupuis, not a fan of the 4-year deal. The team will now have Kunitz and Dupuis as Crosby’s wingers for the next four years, that doesn’t interest me. Sure Dupuis and Kunitz can slide down to the third line in the 3rd and 4th years but what are they getting at that point if they weren’t good enough to stick with Sid?

Pens don’t have much cap space for this year to do much for the third and fourth lines, nor should they. They are making a big mistake resigning Cooke (3rd line LW) and Adams (4th line RW) but the problem is, team has no one in the minors ready for their jobs.

The lack of talent at the AHL level is like the Pirates 5 years ago.

138. pattonbb says:

It’s either ice cold or red hot with Pedro. No middle ground.

139. cmat0829 says:

This is the type of pitcher that gives the Bucs fits…. lots of offspeed, junk in hitters counts…. if they can just be patient…stop lunging… Martin too eager and Pedro watched a HR ball go by on the first pitch..then got nothing he could drive the rest of the atbat

140. florida steeler says:

Phillies announcer says Lannan has “nothing” tonight but pitching like Houdini.

Agree with most of your points.
    I am not a fan of the Letang signing. Cripples them cap-wise. No flexibility.

But I have a feeling Mr. Shero isnt done yet, and a trade may be coming.

I think its 7 LOb. Cutch and Gaby were on in the 3rd.

Just cant leaves ducks on the Pond like that. Just cant.

143. JRay3 says:

His escapability is definitely Houdini like tonight, it seems the hitters aren’t being overwhelmed and are pretty zeroed in. Lannan however is making pitches when he has to.

Pedro is what he is

Come on Jeff, get out of this inning

145. cmat0829 says:

Just a flare… a bloop… if only the Buccos can get one of those… not every hit has to be a HR gentlemen….

I do not!

147. florida steeler says:

Some teams get hits with runners on base. This is unbelievable but a familiar story with the Bucs.

148. Bob Hasis says:

There is something missing from Locke’s game tonight – oh yeah I know what it is; it’s the 5 runs we should have scored for him

149. cmat0829 says:

a well placed curve K’s him,, but do they have the guts to do it.

150. cmat0829 says:

Locke is very, very good. His location is exceptional. Phils scratch a run by going the other way, not trying to do too much with each swing…. Pirates should do the same…. trying to hard for HRs.

151. Karen22 says:

YEP! I am getting VERY antsy. NOT a happy camper.

152. Eric Bowser says:

Cap should be about 70m next year, probably 75m by ’15-16 and 80m by 16-17

153. Bob Hasis says:

This sounds similar to the exchange I had with Ryan (Nor-Cal ) this afternoon. Hit the ball where it is pitched. Pull in the hands when required and go the other way.
    You can’t presume the pitcher will hit your bat where you decide to swing – the objective is “to hit the ball where it is pitched” – IF IT’S A GOOD PITCH

I certainly hope so. If those numbers are correct, then no worries. If they arent correct, major problems await.

I didn’t interpret Clints comment as “show some fire” and we’ll keep you, but more a prod to Tabata that hitting is not enough, you need to play the right way. We won’t let you F Up what we have going here with your attitude. But that’s just me.

Take this over to the Riverhounds thread

I don’t know who he was talking to, but there was a big segment in the pregame radio show by Clint about that. Very interesting. If I get a chance, I’ll expand on that.

159. pattonbb says:

+1, but Pedro made that one work last night. Beautiful butt-tag.

161. JRay3 says:

And Martin comes up with the big hit as Bucs finally break through on his 31st RBI of year…three straight hits and tied up.

162. Dave G says:

Bucs deliver this time. Martin RBI and it’s 1-1

PEDRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

164. pattonbb says:

ice cold or red hot…..EL TORO!!!!

He does remind ME of that other guy.

166. JRay3 says:

Pedro says GOOD BYE – 3 run HR #21 and Bucs put up a four spot and finally get to Lannan!

167. Dave G says:

Pedro 3 run bomb to center!

4-1 !!!!!

168. Eric Bowser says:

This team…. they are going to do it.

I mean, just watch this game… then this… this inning, those hits, and that HR.

169. JRay3 says:

I’ll keep beating the drum, management needs to lock him up.

170. Bob Hasis says:

That Mr Nor Cal is exactly what I meant about Walker. Did you see how easy?

Pox on your house!!!

No soup or Groupons for either of you two!!!

Nope. we can talk hockey here too ;)

173. JRay3 says:

Six hit inning, 11 total was only a matter of time. Glad to see Locke given the lead to work with here.

174. JRay3 says:

Nice to see him lash one opposite field, went with it and ripped ball though right side.

Before Petey hit his homer, I was thinking Locke knows how Burnett feels!

176. cmat0829 says:

As someone said earlier, Pedro “is what he is”…. says here he is a damn good third baseman, a HR machine, and a 2013 All Star.

He will strike out, he will slump, and he will drive runs in in bunches. He has ‘game-changing power’

177. Kevin says:

much much better than the first 4 innings :D

178. cmat0829 says:

crunch time for Walker, put up or shut up from the right side… glad to see him have a 2hit game so far.

Yup, they keep pulling the W’s out of their butts somehow :)

Amen

181. cmat0829 says:

yes, I agree that ‘good things happen’ when you think oppo field. Revere’s hit was actually a bit lucky, he swung way late and ‘inside-outed’ it to LF. But the other guys definitely just want the other way for singles….

182. JRay3 says:

Can change a game with one swing, needs to be a long term fixture in the middle of the Pirates lineup.

I started hearing “The Bucs are Going All the Way” when Pedro hit that homer. I know, I know, a little premature, but these guys are good.

I also hear other songs.

184. cmat0829 says:

What about Delmon Young as a RF candidate if we go that way at the deadline? I think he’s had his moments where he’s been a butt-head, but he seems like he can hit a little bit…..

185. pattonbb says:

not an all star yet, but getting there.

Sure looking like it. But he hadn’t had a home run since June 29. One before that? June 23.

187. Bob Hasis says:

Tonight on national TV and local TV and in this revered place, much talk about the Pirate BP holding up for the long haul.

So here then is the rock and a hard place; if CH won’t let a starter go past 6+ innings or 105 pitches, how is that protecting the bullpen?

188. cmat0829 says:

So nice to see a pitcher that doesn’t throw more than 92 MPH go inside so consistently…. I remember when Hurdle first got here and he told Pauly Maholm that ‘the book on you is you never pitch inside’…. too bad Paul figured it out after he left town…. why more ML pitchers don’t take back the inside part of the plate I’ll never know…..

189. pattonbb says:

Clint with a quick hook tonight.

190. cmat0829 says:

Last time out, Locke went 7 and 104 pitches. If your comment is about tonight, Locke wasn’t his ‘super sharp’ self… and this is the right move to remove him here.

191. Bob Hasis says:

Geez he just made the point! 6+ innings and near 100 pitches, so the rest is on the BP

192. cmat0829 says:

and based on the 2 balls that could’ve been HRs and a little lack of control, its absolutely the right move.

193. Eric Bowser says:

That stinks… really wanted Locke to get through 6…

194. cmat0829 says:

u dont think Locke wasnt as sharp as he usually is and was laboring some here? You think this is all about magical pitch count?

195. cmat0829 says:

um they have played two games since june 29, tonight the 3rd game.. I’ll take a HR every 3rd game….

196. Bob Hasis says:

cmat you just said a few entries ago how sharp Locke was

197. Bob Hasis says:

Yes I do agree

198. cmat0829 says:

my comment wasn’t about tonight, it is in general. you saying that you didn’t notice tonight that locke wasn’t as ‘on’ as he usually is?

Yeah me too, I like the kid…and he’s been doing well.

200. Bob Hasis says:

His hook could have been as quick last night – for a better result

smh

202. pattonbb says:

Could’ve been hr’s? Those singles?

Thank you, Jandy!!!!

And voices too? ;)

205. florida steeler says:

What the hell was Tabata doing on that play??

206. Jeff says:

Thank you. My wife’s company has several offices here, and she comes over around once every quarter. She managed to talk them into putting us up here for the summer. It’s great, but it’s these 1:05am starts are tough!

hey, don’t thank me, Dejan said it’s a sports blog….I know this is the Pirates game thread, but as long as we don’t take over…
    ;)

208. cmat0829 says:

the long loud flyout to left, Marte caught it at the wall… and the one that walker through out the guy at the plate, Locke thought it was gone off the bat…as did I.

Oh No. error on Jordy

210. JRay3 says:

That one hurts, routine ground ball booted costs a run…Mercer has to field that ball.

211. pattonbb says:

Oh, my bad…thought you were talking about the last two hits he gave up.

I think he should’ve been given a chance to get out if the inning. Somebody has to eventually get through the 6th inning.

212. cmat0829 says:

Gomez warming up, I think that means AJ goes Sunday.

Good to see you here tonight.
    Missing our Muppet…………….

Settle down, cmat. I didn’t think it needed a smiley. I thought my intent was obvious.

France….I’d love to visit there someday

Nice to have you with us, Jeff :)

216. pattonbb says:

Barmes would have.

I’m just kidding!!!

217. cmat0829 says:

last time locke pitched 7. i do think clint is letting them go deeper, but tonight locke was getting hit harder than usual…. so i don’t beef on this one.

218. cmat0829 says:

:) :) :) there’s some smileys for you.

219. pattonbb says:

No clue…looked like he was walking towards the foul line (away from the ball)

Well, I was making macaroni salad and deviled eggs for picnic tomorrow … to with steaks :)

Was watching from the kitchen tho….finally got to sit when Pedro hit his home run :)

I miss Animal too. Hope all is ok…would love to have her check in.

Need to get out of this inning. NOW!

222. JRay3 says:

if AJ told CH he is ready to pitch you can bet he will be out there Sunday.

223. Bob Hasis says:

I was merely commenting on your entries. You may want to further explain – or just drop it.
    He wasn’t sharp he had no swing and a miss pitch and obviously was not who we saw many times before

Unless aliens or the “no hockey” police kidnapped her. ;)

225. cmat0829 says:

Utley is taking like half swings it seems like ,just to stay alive.

226. JRay3 says:

Appeared he was following Walker’s movement and not paying attention to the ball.

and they do. :)

Nice K to end the inning

Amen!

230. Bob Hasis says:

Barmes starts tomorrow

231. JRay3 says:

Huge K by Wilson who had to work a lot harder than he should have to ge that one out. Offense is going to need to add on and get to Phils pen.

232. cmat0829 says:

good job by wilson. Phils get one run by just ‘going the other way’ for a simple base hit (note the approach, Bucs) and one gift run on the boot by Jordy. I’m still very much a Mercer Fan, tough break.

We still lead…but now it is definitely a “Mark and Cheese” night

Mark doesnt “whine” does he? ;)

Fitting word, coming from you…………………..

lol

Nice…triple by Cutch

Cutch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

239. JRay3 says:

Cutch with his first triple of year, and now 4-6 in this series and now hitting an even .300.

240. Keith says:

…and Cutch is hitting .300.

sweet triple

242. cmat0829 says:

2013 Cutch, meet right center field. right center, meet cutch. Pretty, pretty, pretty when Cutch goes the other way with authority.

243. pattonbb says:

There’s the all-star….

Ouch

245. Kevin says:

right in the ribbies :\

Martin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin hits Cutch in…sweet

Gabby to third :)

I didnt feel a thing. ;)

250. JRay3 says:

Russell Martin has to be the most clutch .250 hitter you will find, always seems to get the big hit in key situations or when a turn in momentum is needed.

251. Bob Hasis says:

I can tell you, I love that swinging 3-0 in this situation. And it worked

Isnt this fun?

I mean, being a Hippo and all……… wait you arent a Hippo.

But this team is fun ! ;)

253. Keith says:

Pedro has them running scared.

254. cmat0829 says:

yes, and he pulled the ball and i was yelling at the TV to “go the other way”… I’ll take it :)

I’m a Hippo supporter…and yes this is fun…the funny Hippo group AND the game :)

Wild pitches for a run work too. :)

Ha! Their catcher looks jacked LOL

I guess I can make you asn honorary Hippo if you wish, but I appreciate Hippo supporters too. :)

:thwap:

0=)

awww :*

Hippos don’t fit on turbo brooms, so I’ll stick with the Hippo supporter role :)

LOL!

266. Bob Hasis says:

Jones did it last night and now Gaby – and that is lobbing a lollipop to the pitcher.

What happened to the quick dart throw lead ?

Yes! Nice K!

268. cmat0829 says:

that was an outstanding play by Gaby to pick the ball, had to get rid of it quick, and pretty tough to judge the throw to the moving target there…. nice play.

269. cmat0829 says:

nice inning by gomez… now back in the pen, he gives us another guy who can go multiple innings and has good stuff. he can really keep the ball down, paint the corners…

270. cmat0829 says:

have to say it, but the bucs pitching staff has come a long way… i like karstens as a person and he gives maximum effort, but his stuff is like 15th-20th on the staff. If our staff can go out and get people like gomez, we need not beef when they nontender someone like jeffy jeff.

That too.

272. JRay3 says:

Just another of the many unsung heroes of this team…Jeanmar Gomez. He has done it starting, relieving whatever is asked of him and he performs well in that role.

273. Dave G says:

A lot of K’s on horrible pitches tonight

274. cmat0829 says:

wow, is that steve carlton on the mound now for the phils? has good breaking stuff and can hit 96 with the fastball. Nasty.

Coming out of spring training, who would have thunk it?

I saw a theory lately that because in college they use aluminum bats they can turn on an inside pitch and drive it when they couldn’t with a wooden bat. So, many are gunshy. Not advocating it, just reporting. I also remember Snell saying it was rude to pitch inside. :-)

Keep following Jeff

Get home for the playoffs ;-)

Thanks for posting

278. Dave G says:

Out of town:

Reds 2, Giants 2, top of 7th
    Cards at Angels, 10:05

PRNW is pretty dam good

His fielding is vastly improved.

He and Mercer are a good defensive pairing.

Nah, he just gets by because he’s a Pittsburgh boy. :-)

283. cmat0829 says:

ho hum, melancon.

284. cmat0829 says:

Seriously, given their record, the Bucs should get multiple allstar slots….

1.. Grilli (lock)
    2. Cutch (lock)
    3. Pedro
    4. Melancon

And outside chance, Martin. At least IMHO.

285. JRay3 says:

24th hold of the year tops in league. Makes it look so easy, will go down as one of NH better acquisitions.

286. JRay3 says:

Locke and Marte could easily be given consideration as well. Marte is 2nd in all of baseball in triples, 16th in runs, 5th in stolen bases. Locke 8-1 2.12 ERA, 1.11 WHIP and 12 of 17 starts allowing 2 runs or less.

287. Ghost says:

Oh okay, got it. I’m on board with that!
    Go like ’60!!!

288. pattonbb says:

I think 2 for sure, maybe 3. Cutch and Grilli for sure. Maybe Locke or Melancon. Could make the argument that they both deserve it. But both won’t get the nod.

No way Pedro goes batting .240 – .245, but he should. Only David Wright is better.

Molina and Posey are locks at C. Lucroy will get some attention there too. Would love to see Martin go, but won’t happen.

289. pattonbb says:

uh oh…..

Well now, that is not good!
    Dont want Burnt Cheese!

291. JRay3 says:

Behind 13 hits including El Toro’s 21st blast of the year, and another decent Jeff Locke start to improve his record to 8-1 which was closed out for the 28th time by Jason Grilli the Bucs sink the Phils 6-5 to take the middle game of the set and there was nooooooo doubt about it.

With the win, the Pirates return to 21 games above .500 at 52-31, are 29-14 at PNC and are 4-2 against the Phillies ensuring a season series win over their in-state rivals.

The Pirates will look to take their fourth consecutive series and 17th of the year tomorrow afternoon when 4-0 Gerrit Cole takes the mound.

Let’s Go Bucs.

292. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

RAISE THAT JOLLY HIPPO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

294. DemonDachshund says:

Poor flagpole.

295. DemonDachshund says:

As long as Wright gets voted in… Well, who else goes as a 3B?

+1 :)

297. pattonbb says:

Bochy will bring Sandoval, no doubt. Maybe Pedro does get the nod as the 3rd guy.

+ 1 gazillion

The “utility guy” quote, well, home NH learned from that ;-)

Well, just get a new flagpole

In fact, better buy them a lot ;-)

60? ;)

lol..more if ya want ;)

Good Night all.
    I am up a flagpole again…………

See you guys (and girls) in the morning.

Everyone have a Safe and Happy 4th.

May the 4th Be With you. :)

Sweet ones, Hipposter!

Back in ancient time, you didn’t need flagpoles, the one at Forbes was about 460 ft away, heck they put the batting cage out in center figuring it would never be in play

But yeah, lets get 60

1960 was magic, no other logical reason for it

Just like now, so far

305. Jeff says:

Thank you both. I’ve been here since DK came from the PG. I’ve just never posted before.

DK: Great to have you on board (officially), Jeff!

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back