Morning Java: Can’t protect pitchers from rain

>> The Wednesday column from PNC Park wonders if the Pirates’ adversity might actually help.

Leave it to me to be the ray of sunshine in the equation!

Oh, and speaking of rays of sunshine, this game was delayed one hour, 42 minutes for a weather pattern that never hit PNC Park. It did affect the South Hills and other areas, but not Downtown.

At 7:05 p.m., when we should have seen the first pitch, these were the skies above …

That’s known in advanced meteorology as “sunshine.”

Say what you will about the merits of that, but I’ve always held the view that sporting events should start on time and not be delayed or postponed until there is actual cause. In baseball in particular, with the home team (peculiarly) in control of the first pitch, there never should be any consideration given to delaying or postponing any game for reasons beyond the safety of the participants and the patrons.

Let me put it another way: You can’t put off a game because you’re protecting Gerrit Cole.

Nothing in the rules permits that.

And if teams around baseball — not just Pittsburgh — continue to abuse their responsibility for when a game should begin, the folks in New York would do well to take heed.

>> The Pirates played a long one against the A’s. Rob Biertempfel reports.

Cole pitched better than his fate, and here’s some of what he had to say afterward …

Here are official game highlights from MLB.com.

>> Oh, please, don’t come to me about the Pedro Alvarez snub from the Home Run Derby. It’s stupid, but it’s also nowhere near as significant as some — including employees of the Pirates — are drumming up. It’s a skills competition, a glorified game show, nothing more.

It’s a contending organization now. Try acting like it.

>> If you missed it, here’s yesterday’s TribLIVE Radio show podcast featuring special guest Aaron Donald, Pitt’s outstanding defensive tackle.

>> Ray Shero’s father, Fred, was elected posthumously to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Rob Rossi has it.

The rest of the class is exemplary — Chris Chelios, Brendan Shanahan, Scott Niedermayer — but I’ll continue to pound the drum that this Hall can’t continue to have the same embarrassing North American slant it’s shown forever. Not electing Sergei Makarov and/or Alexander Mogilny isn’t just a slap to Russia or to the European brand. It’s an insult to hockey fans everywhere.

>> I’ll visit with TribLIVE Radio at 1:30 p.m. to talk baseball.

Comments

1. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Game delayed for a starting pitcher?
    I thought it was delayed for an auction.
    That’s all I heard about the entire game……

2. Mizery says:

Pirates defense is just spectacular this year. It’s sad how often we lose by just giving up a couple of runs. So many wasted pitching efforts.

DK: It’s been just so good. Again last night, that double play Barmes and Mercer turned to end the fifth inning, Barmes going to his right — and in — was simply exceptional.

3. DJ says:

Grilli’s next save opportunity might be in the All Star Game . . . not to be negative or anything.

4. Ghost says:

I’ll third this sentiment. Barmes has put to rest the claims (which were not unfounded at the time) that his defensive skills had waned. Yeah, I wish he had a more potent bat, but now that he’s a defensive role player at a very important position, I think he’s a good one and we’d do well to hold on to him.

5. Ghost says:

Just three hits tonight. Ten runners stranded last night. Not enough from too many of our players. But I’m particularly beginning to come around to camp that has soured on Garrett Jones. Both of our first basemen have been black holes in the batting lineup. Like Travis Snider and Gaby Sanchez, Jones hasn’t really given us much of anything all season long.

There gets to be a point where good hitting starts feeding more good hitting. Pitch counts and pressure on pitchers and the defenses behind them start to bend. The opposite is true when pitchers are in a groove and sitting down batter after batter. The Pirates seem to be on the wrong side of a tipping point in that just Pedro having a good day here or Cutch having a good day there isn’t enough to get the team going. I’m willing to wait on Neil Walker and the slumping Russell Martin to pick it up a little. But first base, right field (unless Tabby saves the day and does so real soon) and the anemic bench — too many season-long black holes.

6. Ghost says:

I really should have read the Wednesday column first. It’s just that after watching a recording of the game, I couldn’t resist first getting my thoughts off my chest. So I ended up making some of the same points DK already made, like the one about Jones.

As for a dose of adversity now being a good thing — I agree. Basically, see Wednesday column.

“It’s wholly possible that this little slide will be good thing.”

So you’ll be positively giddy if they lose out to the All Star Game?

I’m not very smart. I’ve been watching sports for decades and while I keep trying to see what the brain surgeons see, I just don’t get the concept of a good loss.

Or three.

Or four.

Could one of the reasons they held off the first pitch was because they were play the Oakland A’s? They didn’t want to play a doubleheader today and rescheduling the game for a later date may have been a challenge?

For many of the past 20 years selecting a Pirate representative for the All-Star game has been….challenging.

I wouldn’t call the fact that Pedro Alvarez – our savior and the guy we’ve seen strike out a ton – gets selected for the team and just so happens to be a prime candidate for the home run contest. Only a few players in all of baseball have more home runs than him.
    He gets snubbed and two players who have a lot less home runs than him (one who is an old friend of the captain of the the team) get selected ahead of him.

In the grand scheme of things it may be insignificant, but it is something.

‘including employees of the Pirates’ = Pirate announcers.
    Sure they made a big deal about it. But they certainly shouldn’t ignore it.
    And have you heard any of the sports talk radio in town?

10. radio wave says:

Plus 1

11. Derek Smith says:

Great Column, Dejan. While I am not in a state of panic, I am a little concerned, and that helped quite a bit. LETS GO BUCS!

A win or two would help me more.

13. John Lease says:

I love you man.

14. John Lease says:

Me either, winning is the thing.

“Nothing in the rules permits that.”

I was also wondering if anything in the rules don’t permit that.

JAL’s Lollipop Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates Stats

5 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Draft Pick Signing Tracker

BLOGS and such

6—Pirates Prospects

First Pitch: The Problem With the Pirates Offense

Pirates Collect Only Three Hits to Lose Fourth-Straight Game

Prospect Watch: Taking a Closer Look At Tyler Glasnow’s Impressive Numbers

Pirates Notebook: When Will the Bucs Play the Best 25?

7 Bucs Dugout

Pirates offense stymied, again. Bucs lose, 2-1, again

8 WHYGAVS

Game 89: A’s 2 Pirates 1

9 The Green Weenie

Notes, Fanning the Trade Rumor Flames…

10 Rumbunter

Pedro Alvarez: Standing Ovation Tonight Pittsburgh?

11 Raise the Jolly Roger

A’s 2 Pirates 1

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

12 San Jose Mercury News

Oakland A’s beat Pittsburgh Pirates 2-1

13 The Atlantic

How Smart Investing Made the Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball’s Best Team

14 Rant Sports

Pittsburgh Pirates RP Mark Melancon’s All-Star Snub No Surprise

15 The Week

The longest losing streak in pro sports history should soon be over

16 CBS Sports

Athletics-Pirates Game Preview

17 The Pitt News

Barnes Burner: Pittsburgh fans struggle at gauging player talent, value

18 PBC Site

Cole finds all homers not created equal vs. A’s

Notebook: Walker on DL with possible oblique injury

SPORTS WEBSITES

19 Bloomberg Sports

The Rebirth of Nate McLouth

20 Fangraphs

Jonathan Papelbon: Buyer Beware

Steelers Blogs

21 Behind the Steel Curtain

Jarvis Jones can’t wait for Pittsburgh’s game day atmosphere

Idea of not inviting players on academic suspension to NFL Combine is nothing but damage control

22 Steelers Depot

- Sporting News Thinks Le’Veon Bell & Jarvis Jones Could Win Rookie Of The Year Awards

Soccer(football)

23 Daily Mail

The face of the Premier League… Huge Bale picture used by NBC in New York advert

24 World Soccer Daily

The Neymar problem

Lollipop The Chordettes 1958. Hit number 2 and was their 2nd biggest hit. In 1954 Mr Sandman made it to number 1. This is clip appears to be from the Andy Williams Show.

But you can’t have my Bud Light! :P

(Gotta be IC Light)

ha! That’s my boys, always bringing up the questions…which usually aren’t answered :D

Me two!

‘It is incomprehensible that Pedro Alvarez, tied for second in the NL in home runs, is not involved with the Home Run Derby at the All-Star break.’
    ‘Worse, by most accounts, favoritism played the major role in Cuddyer’s selection. Shame on MLB!’

—that from a retired columnist who now is a blogger

24. DJ says:

I suppose recall of better times fades when you lose a few, but cannot remember even one signature clutch moment by Gaby since he got here. I’m sure there is one, maybe two, but have just totally forgotten.

Let’s hope Marte’s prediction is on the mark. Love the kid’s spunkiness.

it *IS* ridiculous, TC. But I’m guessing the BEST thing the Pirates and fans CAN DO is IGNORE it, not lower ourselves to the same stinkin level.
    :D

Gaby has made many ridiculous snags at first when the throw was horribly off the mark to make the out. I know, I know…it seems like forever, eh?

27. kr70 says:

sports writing and meteorology……who knew?

28. Dom says:

Anyone hear David Wright say he went with Michael Cuddyer over Pedro in the HR derby b/c he’s friends with him? Why the NL representative get to pick who’s in the HR derby in the first place? Can anyone think of a dumber rule? I don’t really care if Pedro is in it; it’s just the principal of the thing.

29. kr70 says:

maybe we could trade for this Moss guy.

30. Enjoyable column.

Very positive spin for a hockey and soccer dad.

Loved this about the pinch hitting .148, 1, 11:

“That’s not just upgradable. That’s unconscionable”

So a little spark from the bench isn’t a bad thing to ask for?

31. Brotherhood of the Redus says:

I thought it was a shot to extend the auction as well

Says Wright: “I grew up with Michael. I think that he’s one of the more underrated players in the game. And obviously, the friendship had something to do with it. And his production had a lot to do with it.”

33. You are correct, J-girl. But first is a position that requires someone with some pop and preferably a higher batting average than Gaby’s .233 average.

His defense has never been in question.

I will likely be lowering myself to that same stinkin’ level Friday night at the ballpark when David Wright comes up to bat.

I haven’t booed a player since Kevin Young took shots at the fans here years ago.

35. Brotherhood of the Redus says:

It is a big deal…MLB has worked hard (or so it seems) to come back from some serious garbage. When you have a chance to showcase a natural bomb hitter, one that by all accounts does it with no help from the candy shop, and you let a captain eyebrows put his buddy on stage, simply because they are both getting old and he can….it’s an issue.

Throw a boo in there for me too, 21 ;)

37. DJ says:

You’re absolutely right, Jandy. I was speaking solely of his offense.

Even with McKenry you remember a couple homers.

MLB will always be garbage until Bud Selig is gone.

Gaby Sanchez was acquired to be Garrett Jones platoon vs left handed pitching.

How much better can you expect him to perform in that role than he has already?

Oh I agree, Spunky. Just sayin, I remember some of the plays he has made. I’d like to see his bat get more done.

DJ, you’re right. Our bats are hurting us big time right now. Sad.

Zactly, Spunky!

Gaby Sanchez was acquired to be Garrett Jones platoon partner.

He has been dominant in that role.

The fact that he has a .233 BA speaks to Clint Hurdle’s ability to manage him in the right situations.

I love Gabby. I’d love to see a few more hits instead of whiffs, but that is also true of some of the STARTERS! :)

45. Brandie says:

The sky is falling. Time for an “invisible” rain delay.

46. DJ says:

Marte’s final quote to DK was interesting. The kid just loves playing ball. I could easily see him being our spark. Not overthinking anything and just attacking the ball instead of the modern-day approach of working for the deep counts.

As Hurdle would say, just going up to the plate with “bad intentions.”

47. Brotherhood of the Redus says:

David Wright will catch some heat for it….but his massive eyebrows will shield him from it at the end of the day.

I’m not saying that doing something once in a lifetime with a childhood friend, in a venue so unlikely, that the odds would have probably been better to hit the powerball when these two were doing one up or two down to fat kid down the street, is the problem here….it’s amazing that both of these guys ended up here in this scenario in the first place. In the end Cuddyer will likely never get a shot at this again. If Pedro’s career continues at the pace it’s on, he should have as many derby appearances as pappi’s before it’s all over.

It’s just David Wrights eybrows and the fact that he is a Met that makes it sting. I forgot that I hated the Mets with the last 20 years of hating the Brewers and front office types.

DARRYL DARRYL DARRYL – Mets Suck! Thanks for the reminder eyebrows.

48. Brandie says:

I like it. Reminds me of a kid on summer vacation, looking for adventure.

49. Brotherhood of the Redus says:

21 please make comments about his eyebrows – I am developing a problem with my fixation on his eyebrows – I just can’t stand his eyebrows – Is this still the asylum? Jacket and a snake bite please….I’ll be in the bathroom ripping out the plumbing.

50. DJ says:

NMR: Ha! — I knew you would be here to “defend” him. Understand he’s about .290 against lefties but hardly see him as a masher.

Intrigued by the suggestion Gaby has been mismanaged. How so?

I’ll give you an answer.

~ 3.14159265359

52. cherokee23 says:

Wright is being disingenuous….if “production had a lot to do with it”, it’s Pedro in a landslide, especially when you factor in the “show/entertainment” aspect of the HR derby, and how far Pedro can hit a batting practice ball.

As for the rain delay, I may be naive, but I’m not seeing the connection with protecting Cole. There was a pretty significant storm system in pretty close proximity. If game had started and been delayed after 1 or 2 innings, the complaint would have been why start when you saw rain on way and lose your starter like happened to Morton last week. Could they have started sooner than 90 minutes later? Fair question, but I have no problem with the delay!

I like pi. Brownies, too.

Can’t. Bucs are falling like a stone. And you know what they say.

A Falling Stone Gathers No Moss.

If Jeanmar Gomez was the scheduled starter would the game started on time last night?

PERFECT!

LMAO! POTD

You want fries with that snakebite???

59. Nate83 says:

These are tough losses to swallow. You just don’t know how long the pitching will continue to be this outstanding. To continue to lose when the pitching staff only gives up 2 or 3 wins is frustrating. I have always believed that the hitting would eventually come around and improve to the point that they could score 3 or 4 runs a game but they are now 89 games in.

I also have been on board with not making any major moves and only improving the bench but I am starting to second guess that strategy. If the offense doesn’t start producing in the 2 weeks after the all star break a big bat even if it’s just instant offense like Soriano may be needed. I still think they should avoid the Stanton type trades.

hey girl! Good to see you this morning :)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…………. pi. ;)

Yeah, and when Drunk Tank Frank takes over, more hilarity!!!

Muppet, you ARE the blog’s adventure. :)

Agreed.

What is also unconscionable is the fact there are players in the minors that havent been called up yet to see what they can do. They might not set the world on fire, but whyat we have now is bottom of the barrel. They cant possibly do worse, right?

As long as it is not raining Muppets.

66. cherokee23 says:

I don’t see any difference. How is that protecting cole? Were they hoping the game was cancelled? He still came out and pitched. I’m not seeing it! DK has actually praised the ballclub in the past for early announcements of delays & cancellations

67. Brandie says:

I guess I’m like the Navy then…not just a job, it’s an adventure. Great to see yinz.

LOL!

Hope the Bucs play tonight.
    Just got a report that rt. 88 is closed due to flooding, and Caste Village road is under almost 2 feet of water.

Get the ark ready.

69. DJ says:

Well I hope they are not thinking about Soriano, or giving away the store on prospects. Would be nice to find a Brian Giles type move, but probably wishful thinking.

70. tpbco says:

Not to be disparaging, but this happens when you lose for 20 years and have little credibility, as an organization.

Hopefully this will change, but it won’t be overnite.

71. tpbco says:

Hit send too quick.

Think under the same circumstances this would happen to a Yankee? or a Red Sox? or a Brave, Dodger, Cardinal…..

Methinks….not.

There are actually 10 teams worse. The Pirates are only 20th in pinch hitting batting average.

Their pinch hitting average is actually better than their OPS (22nd), batting average (24th), and runs scored (26th). Yep, a pinch hitter ought to fix it.

Holy crap! I am complaining about rain, but flooding is horrible :(

Nope, we’re gonna let Ray Shero take over ;)

Those numbers I quoted (OPS, AVG, Runs) are their overall offensive stats – comparing them to their pinch hitting numbers.

The outrage would be universal and very LOUD!

+1.

Morning.
    Get your ark handy, Jandy. :)

ehh..forget the numbers…even my eyes can see the bench isn’t getting it done!

79. Brandie says:

DuBois is still trying to recover from flooding that happened nearly 3 weeks ago.

Mornin, my Hippo friend. I gotta get one on order from Noah real quick!

NEITHER ARE THE STARTERS !!!

82. Brandie says:

That sounds horribly messy.

Lord, Brandie, that’s still on the Altoona news. I feel for those people.

84. Brandie says:

Not that I am any good at predicting anything with Magic 8 or Meatballs, but it looks like the Pirates shot themselves in the collective foot with what will be known as The Invisible Rain Delay Of 2013.

Where were you during The Invisible Rain Delay Of 2013?

Ladies, Nuns, and Muppets…………….

See you later today.
    Stay dry.

Hope everyone is safe out there. What a nasty morning. The “T” is flooded and has been shut down. The Fort Pitt Tunnels have reopened for the time being.

87. Mercy.

.194

Where are Jerry Lynch and Smokey Burgess when you need them?

88. Press Kyle says:

While the Barmas-started DP was exceptional, the Buc defense again contributed mightily to the loss. On the double that preceded Moss’s HR, it looked like Marte could easily throw out the A attempting to reach second, but made an off-line throw, allowing the runner to reach safely. Could see a negative reaction on Cole’s face(he obviously thought a better throw could have been made), and it may have thrown off his concentration for a second. First pitch, he throws that 85 MPH lollipop to Moss and, BANG! Game over. The defense also was a factor in bungling that game in Chicago on Sunday (Jones’s error and Martin’s throw). Did you see the A’s make a single misplay in closing out either of the 2 games so far? No, they didn’t. Good teams don’t do that, but the Bucs have started to do so all too often lately.

Having said all that, when watching the interminable cut-ins from the auction, it is clear that Jones may be too distracted at home to be an effective player.

89. Mike A. says:

After thinking (read: stewing) over the last two nights’ games, I have concluded that perhaps the most aggravating thing about these losses is that the A’s have beaten the Bucs at their own game….strong starting pitching, enough offense to squeeze out a lead thru 7 innings, and slam the door with the “Lights Out” bullpen. As I posted on another thread, I hope DK’s column rings true, but until the Pirates raise the 82nd Jolly Roger, I’ll remain skeptical. This franchise has had futility and failure infused into their DNA over the past 20 years. That’s hard to overcome, both for the organ-I-zation, and its fans.

90. Brandie says:

Stay dry, Jandy. Blair County is under a Flas Flood Watch until 1200 am tomorrow morning. Nothing for Centre County yet.

91. Brandie says:

Hope Pittsburgh does not wash away. Hope you are well, Milo.

92. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Did anyone else notice that (I’m assuming) Hurdle had the infield shifted for that guy that hit the double before Moss’s home run? They showed his spray chart (or whatever the technical term is for hits by field) and the guy had more hits to left than center or right. His hit would have been a tough out, but Pedro has made that play many times before. Why the deuce would he shift the infield for a guy that spreads his hits incredibly evenly?

Oh well. At least Tyler Kennedy is gone.

Hipposter, enjoy the day, hopefully catch you later on.

Brandie, yeah I just texted hubby and told him to go check on the house between jobs this morning. Blair Creek runs behind my house, but it’s the frigin ditch between mine and the neighbor’s property that causes problems! grrr!

yeah but so is Cookie :(

95. Scott says:

I think the point is that the losses will make it crystal-clear to management that the team needs upgrading and will give them a kick in the tail to go out and do something, whereas if the team had kept winning for another week or two, management could have stood pat. Scenario A (a few losses in the short term in exchange for making a few trades and/or dumping unproductive veterans) is much better for the team in the long run. So yeah, this good loss concept makes sense.

My daughter is working downtown. A lot of people called off because they can’t make it in…Sprint. Her area is fine, hopefully it stays that way!

Just making up for what didn’t come down last night I guess.

lol

Sad but true!

so, it’s all the Pirate’s fault???

101. Nate83 says:

This is obviously Travis Sawchik’s fault. He starts covering the Pirates for the trib after 20 years of losing and the team goes 51-30. He then goes on a two week European vacation starting last Monday and the team goes 2-7. Somebody get that guy back in the USA and hand him a pen and paper (oops showing my age – laptop).

102. Brad, Indiana PA says:

7 mil for 3 years at age 55- good for him. He earned it. So did Dupweeeeeee.

103. Scott says:

You have no problem with a sunshine delay? Really?

The connection with protecting Cole was obvious… they didn’t want him to start the game on time and have him pitch one inning, then have a two-hour rain delay, and then have to either throw Cole back out there after a huge delay or take him out after pitching just one inning.

104. Brandie says:

The only protection? A little umbrella like Wile E. Coyote had in the Roadrunner cartoons.

*****ATTENTION*****
    Just a friendly reminder, especially to new posters:
    We here on this blog are proud to call ourselves Dejan’s Lunantics’ Asylum.
    If you post your hometown, Bizrow will add it to the list of the ever-growing inmates.
    Don’t be shy, we want to talk, debate, and chat with you!

Some of the pictures I’m seeing on Channel 4 right now are unbelievable. 3 inches of rain in less than an hour in some places.

107. pattonbb says:

Does anyone still watch the HR derby?

LOL c’mon Brad, exaggerating little? :P

I don’t think who the starting pitcher mattered either.
    If anything they didn’t want a repeat of a few Sundays ago –only getting 2 innings from your starter. Then they would have had to get a lot of innings from the ‘tired’ bullpen.

woah!

111. Brandie says:

When is it not?

112. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Indiana has a flood watch- we don’t even have a river and our nearest stream that’s more than 3 feet wide is 3 miles outside of town! This summer weather has been straight garbage.

silly me! ;)

114. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Well…………. maybe. I am glad for both of them though. Not exaggerating about the shift though. That was downright stupid. Take that out and it was a 1-1 game.

115. Brandie says:

Oy Vey! Baseball kind of takes a back seat. Maybe the Bucs can help flood victims with Pirates Charities?

I don’t think the reaction is a big deal. But if the reaction was one that was a quiet one, I think critics would have said that apathy has set in after 20 years and Pirate fans don’t care anymore. And that just isn’t the case.

117. pattonbb says:

It’s protecting the bullpen.

K gotta go do some WORK *gasp*
    Catch you all later. Stay safe and dry!

Agreed on the shift. darn.

120. Dom says:

Mmmm smokey burgers. Sounds good to me.

121. Brad, Indiana PA says:

It must have been warm in the Trib media production room. I see Dejan stripped himself of the Zack Morris jacket for the radio show. And the penalty kicks.

122. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’m no mathematician, but it was something like 18 left, 17 center and 15 right. I think if anything a slight shift the other direction would have been at least an ok idea.

123. DJ says:

Yes, saw that as well. Virtually identical number of hits to left, center and right. Maybe we thought our metrics within the metrics were better than a simple spray chart.

On the Moss homer, it’s a funny thing but could it possibly be said that Cole needs to come up with a change-up slower than 87 mph? In most situations, a change 10-12 mph slower than your fastball would be ideal. The problem is 87 mph sits about perfect for hitters who clobber soft toss pitchers.

124. Sisyphus says:

Sanchez was brought here to mash left handed pitchers. He is mashing left handed pitchers. Where’s the problem?

125. Scott says:

Those stats are misleading because they include pinch hits by players who are normally starters. (Martin and Marte are a combined 3 for 3 as pinch hitters, for instance.)

I think DK’s figure is the pinch hit average for the team’s actual bench players.

Are you seriously arguing that pinch hitting is not an issue for this club?

126. Sisyphus says:

The current lineup features players who are hitting above the major leage average at every position.

Pleased don’t use the words DEJAN and STRIPPED in the same sentence.

Or post.

Our county.

Please.

128. Sisyphus says:

When Walker is healthy, I meant to say.

129. DJ says:

.330+ would be mashing.

No, but it’s way down the list.

131. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Sorry, Drew. Typing before thinking. I didn’t know you hailed from the Christmas tree capital. And I’m sure you never heard that Jimmy Stewart was born here.

132. Nate83 says:

DJ, I unfortunately do not get to see most of the games living in Western Ohio. I was wondering if the change up still has good movement at 87 mph. Not specifically the Moss pitch but in general does his change up move a lot.

133. Brandie says:

So, is a stripped Dejan upgradeable or just unconscionable?

They’re 26th in runs scored.

135. Nate83 says:

I read somewhere else that Hurdle when asked about getting a big bat kind of said the price is just to high. He mentioned having the oppertunity to get Pence and Victorino the last two year but not pulling the trigger. He then said you are all happy with your current left fielder correct. Hinting that Marte would have been part of those trades.

That tells me this team still does not think they are in all in mode. I agree with that. Although they are very good I don’t think one piece would make the difference and it wouldn’t be worth throwing away years of building up the farm system. Especially offensively there just isn’t enough pieces to be trading away Polanco, Bell, Sanchez and Hanson. The pitching depth is great but it seems like teams like the Cardinals and Devil Rays never trade pitching prospects. The Devil Rays may trade proven pitchers but not the pipeline.

136. Patrick(ri) says:

After a couple of months of participation and observation, I have come to the conclusion you are a sick person! Of course, like greed, sick is good.

137. DJ says:

I haven’t seen his change enough to judge yet, Nate. The only “movement” I saw on the Moss homer was over the wall. It stayed pretty much center cut.

I realize it’s the mph differential which is the key to an effective change, but with Cole, when he’s pouring 98-99 mph heaters, there are very few players who can square one of those up anyway. On the other hand, at 87 mph, everyone’s in the equation. Small thing, but was wondering if Cole might need a 15 mph differential for his change, like low to mid 80′s.

He’s a smart kid so he’ll figure out what’s best. I love watching him.

138. Dom says:

Hope everyone is staying dry and more importantly safe.

With all the rain we’re getting is there any logical chance of a game today? It doesn’t look like it will let up any time soon and some people at work are saying that some streets are flooded.

139. cherokee23 says:

Agree!

140. cherokee23 says:

I run my own roofing business. I make decisions every morning based on the weather radar, where it’s trending, and the forecast. Sometimes I make a good call and sometimes I make a bad call. I think it’s that simple!

If any of you out there wondered where we get these cool avatars, just click on the link below & follow the simple steps. So easy even a Milo can do it.

(That was just for JAL) :)

142. cherokee23 says:

Cole would not have come back after an in-game delay….as far as a connection goes, or a conspiracy theory, i think it’s more related to the bullpen as TC & I stated above…..Like with Morton last week

143. I, for one, am glad Pedro isn’t in it. Bay embarassed himself the last time a Pirate was in it.

Pedro could go up there and miss 10 straight and it would be bad for him in front of his hometown crowd.

144. Brandie says:

Not to mention the chance for injury.

Yes. My wife, son and I still have a blast watching in the derby. In fact, we’ll likely have a house full of young 20 year olds.

146. pattonbb says:

Or the cursed “HR Derby screwed up his swing” ailment.

Young 20 year olds? Make that early 20′s.

148. Dom says:

Look at how far Pedro has come:

Just a little over a year ago, some were saying he could have been the biggest draft bust in history. Now, he’s in the all star game.

149. pattonbb says:

If Pedro was in it, they’d probably just let Berman interview another player for his entire at bat. You know, just like they did to Cutch last year.

And we’re still not happy. :-)

I think Bay embarrassed himself because he probably shouldn’t have been in a home run hitting contest in the first place

152. Vermin should retire and quit inteviewing anyone.

153. The Gunner says:

I imagine Tanked Frank had a buzz on when he was on the air last night. He is a disgrace.

154. pattonbb says:

That sounds like a great time, 21. I just think it’s too long.

155. The Gunner says:

another one who came thru here and couldn’t cut it until he left / makes you question the BMTIB big time

156. AJS says:

As long as it is for a defensie role players salary and not $5 mill per of course.

157. Daquido_Bazzini says:

The problem is that he strikes out or pops up too much with men on base in crucial situations.
    Watch the games…..

158. The Gunner says:

Smokey & Jerry sure could hit the ball. Since both of these guys have passed away, maybe the Bucs need to recruit Matt Stairs out of retirement.

159. AJS says:

What are his splits against lefties? A good platoon is made by having guys who hit .280 or better against the side they are supposed to play against. maybe I am letting the past few games cloud my Gabby judgment but I have very little confidence in him up there against anyone.

160. The Gunner says:

Nate

The Bucs really need to make a move to get a bat in here. It is a damn shame to squander another good pitching performance like they did last night. Let’s hope for a different outcome tonight.

161. pattonbb says:

he’s around .300 against lefties.

162. Didn’t Stairs break Lynch’s pinch-hit HR record, Gunner, or did I imagine that?

163. AJS says:

I have no problem with Wright taking Harper as apparently the fans voted him as the guy they most want to see in that competition. That’s fine. Its a show for the fans. Give them what they want. So he took Cargo and Harper. Great. But choosing Cuddyer because”He’s a good friend with 15 homers and a 27 game hitting streak” is bogus. Two of those things should be immaterial to the decision. The fact that Wright is the captain is nonsense as well. Just because it is in NY. Sheesh.

All that said with Wright being the captain as a constant, the guy wo really got snubbed was Dominic Brown. He was one better than Pedro at the time the choices were made.

164. AJS says:

It really ticks me off when guys like moss who were so putrid while here come back and beat us night after night. LaRoche, Ludwick, now Moss. Seriously!

Lunatics are never happy ;-)

At least the complaints about his hat have stopped.

167. pattonbb says:

Great….now I have nothing to talk about.

:-)

169. Sisyphus says:

His OPS is north of .900 against lefties. That is the very definition of mashing.

170. Sisyphus says:

Ah, so all those other hits don’t mean anything at all. The four doubles and four homers in 58 at bats against lefties don’t matter. The 11 walks in 70 plate appearances against lefties don’t count. The .293 average, .406 OBP and .569 slugging against lefties aren’t helping at all. Maybe YOU should watch the games.

Daq’s actual reasoning: Huntington traded for Sanchez. Nutting hired Huntington. Therefore Sanchez sucks. Q.E.D.

171. tomp says:

So when Bob Nutting met Brandon Inge’s wife last night, how did the conversation go?.

1- I have a cousin out yonder in Weirton, who will give you a discount on moving your stuff.

2- How bad does Brandon and yourself want to spend the summer in Pittsburgh?
    3- What happened to your husband? , a few years ago, i told all my buddies he was the best right handed hitter i ever saw.

All kidding aside, its getting frustrating when 1 run, 3 runs, 1 run , and 1 run, is all i am seeing over the last 4 games.

Get some new blood up here, and end this Brandon Inge experiment 1x and for all!!!.

Aoki, Michael Young, Chase Utley, Carlos Quentin , Ibanez(who can play 1st base, BTW) Logan Morrison, Ryan Roberts, are just a few names that would help the 2013 team, and wouldn’t cost the farm to be raped of its best prospects.
    Gotta do something, and not wait until 11 59pm on July 31st !

.975. Looks like NMR was correct about how he’s being used, but I think a lot of that has to do with the uncertain situation in right field, at least until Tabby got back. By that I mean he’d use Jones in right at times against righties in an attempt to get more production overall, and then Gaby at first. It was kind of pick your poison.

173. Sisyphus says:

Absolutely, they’re not scoring enough runs. But it isn’t because they can’t hit. It’s because they aren’t hitting with runners in scoring position. It’s highly unlikely that they will continue to fail at the same rate through the entire season.

Do you think Hines Ward played drunk?

It is for this 49 year old. Not so much for the guys in their 20′s.

176. I’ll be gleefully happy (as a little girl) when we hit 82. Then, infinity and beyond after that.

Good job, Buzz.

This is a public service message brought to you by Milo Hamilton (not the nasty announcer, but our Lunatic Milo)

both!

It’s tough making calls like that…and owning your own business! good luck with that, Cherokee :)

The highest compliment possible!

182. Daquido_Bazzini says:

My reasoning is that I watch most of the games and I see Sanchez “whiff and pop up” almost every time there are runners on base.
    The Pirates can’t “afford” the luxury of a one-trick pony….Better known as a guy that is ONLY expected to hit LH’s when he starting.

Here’s my suggestion….Spend a little less time patting the Nutting Regime on the back…And watch the games a little closer.
    As another blogger here recently stated….Front offices/Ownerships don’t need fan clubs.

I’ve seen Cole twice, not from scouts seats, but pretty darn close.

His two-seamer is the better pitch 99% of the time due to movement and command.

The only time I saw plus changeups were in the 1st and 3rd innings against Philly on the 4th.

184. Matt hoffman says:

I see Brian Bocock is starting for Indy today at ss. How did we reaquire him?

185. Playoffs by 2012 says:

YES…but look at how far he still needs to go ;)

186. piratemike says:

I glad Pedro was left off the HR derby. It would have been embarrassing to watch him strikeout.

Since you “watch the games” you must have noticed that the A’s platoon three positions.

That stupid Billy Beane and his stable of one trick ponies.

188. pattonbb says:

That’s pretty funny….

Lately, yes, I think you’re correct.

But lets not forget our tediously redundant conversions from earlier in the year when Sanchez was getting starts against righties because he was 3-11 against them in the past.

I said all along those decisions, while small, will eventually add up. Thats what you’re seeing in the aggregate numbers at the half way point.

he has some time yet, no?

*sarcasm alert*

;)

192. Playoffs by 2012 says:

NO, we expect him to be better than that by now. ;)

If Garrett Jones started to get consistant at-bats against lefties, which everyone knows he simply cannot hit, would you not say he is being mismanaged?

Gaby is Garrett Jones patoon partner. He cannot hit righties, as Jones cannot hit lefties.

Same situation applies.

194. blazer says:

DOn’t know how we acquired him but with his ML BA of 140 he fits right in with our currevt SS. But hey…he has a great glove also! Was ours before on Aug 2011 or so I believe.

195. Dom says:

I don’t think he necessarily would have. The Buccos have had good luck with guys in the HR Derby, such as Jason Bay in 2005 for instance.

But to your point, it would also help if Hurdle had a better hitter to call on off the bench, and that is certainly Huntington’s fault, not Clint’s.

197. Traded from the Syracuse Chiefs. Doesn’t say for who.

DeJesus is on the bereavement list.

Such a great observation, Brad.

I can remember seeing the graphic but didn’t put two and two together.

199. AJS says:

Then maybe he is facing righties way too often. For instance Jones in right and Gabby at first against righties has not been that uncommon. gabby pinch hitting aginst righties also not uncommon when Snider has already been used.

If his role is to be a right hander in a platoon then the guy should not be up there against righties pinch hitting. So that comes back to the bench. When faced with Inge, Barmes, Fort, and Gabby if Snider has been used, Gabby may be his best bet. barmes is valuable as a defensive role player, they aren’t upgrading atcatcher anytime soon. So if you want to keep Gabby in his role as a guy who bats only against lefties, then there is only one guy that can be shipped out that will make any difference…Inge.

I believe Gunner is referring to Moss, NMR

202. AJS says:

As much as I hate Raul Ibanez, that might not be a bad fit. Not sure Utley is going anywhere.

Maybe Wright would have picked him if he agreed to wear a hat that didn’t cover his ears.

204. tomp says:

player to be named later via the Brian Jeroloman trade , back to Toronto.

Mars is too close ;-)

You’re right…it should be a far away solar system…sheesh! I CAN’T stand that kid Grrr!

+many lol

208. tomp says:

Utley has played 1st base in the past, also.

Ryan Roberts is a switch hitter, little pop, can play infield AND outfield reasonably well, he can run, and i am betting he can hit a tad better than 180. after 100 or so plate appearances.

Aoki, Young, Ibanez, Logan Morrison, in that order would work for me.

A relief pitcher would be Ok, but i don’t think that is a major problem, especially with a few arms in the AAA bullpen who can do just as well.
    I still would like them to give this De Jesus Jr a shot, and also bring back Presley, as a competent PH off the bench.
    I just hope they don’t just stand pat with this current roster, if they are going to wait until the end of the month, to attempt to wheel and deal.

And one more time, Cut Inge loose!!.

209. AJS says:

Here we go again.

This is not the year. people are too expensive. Deep with pitchingbut who would ever give that up? Shallow with hitting prospects. Not enough in the system. One piece won’t make a difference.

It is the same stuff every year. So when is the year? And if one piece isn’t enough then why do they keep bringingback the same 8 guys? Last year they traded for some bench depth that has proved to be anything but deep. So now we are supposed to sit and watch while they do the same thing again even though the same guys are still underperforming?

Last year they needed a catcher, a shortstop, a pitcher, and either a corner infielder or a first baseman.

They got the catecher. Mercer is fitting i nicely at short right now. They got Wandy who is now hurt so you may want an arm which we will see how Morton plays in his first couple of post break starts and see if a move is necessary. The even got a corner outfielder AND a first baseman.

Unfortunately the corner outfielder is lousy.

I don’t advocate trading away the entire farm. At this time last year I even lobbied for a trade of Cole or Taillon. Never both. But one. Definitely ot the pitching. but Pollanco and Sanchez are pieces I could part with if you get back the right guy.

Basically I feel like we have all been stuck looking at these guys in the system and being told they will be the answer soon. Some of them get here and are as advertised. Some get here and are not as advetised(D’Arnaud, Hague.) At some point you have to take te sure thing now in echange for a hope in the future.

I don’t know what that right move is right now. There may not be one out there. but I am so sick of every July having the discussion about how this isn’t the year. Next year will be the year. The asking price is just too high. Blah Blah Blah. Maybe just maybe if you want to play with the big boys on the field you have to swallow that lump in your throat and pull the trigger on that deal that will enable you to do it.

yes. yes. yes.

211. AJS says:

i think Our was supposed to be Or. But maybe I am wrong.

I was born in the Christmas Tree Capital though. No longer there as trying to find a position in my profession in Indiana County would be highly laughable.

Thus my questioning.

How long was the BMTIB supposed to carry Moss before they gave up on him?

Thought you made that painfully obvious, fwiw.

Oh, and thanks very much for the link. Never knew where to get aggregate PH stats.

gotcha

I’m with you on the same old jargon, generally speaking, except that the whole idea of “all-in” at the trade deadline is terribly, terribly overblown.

Every deadline SOMEBODY makes a big play.

If it was worth it, don’t you think there would be a strong correlation between the teams that make big trades and the teams that go deep into the playoffs?

Add Nate Schierholtz to that list of lefty bats. He’d platoon well with Tabby.

(This ones for you, Ryan :))

Without trying to get into the overall debate, I don’t think Gunner was questioning cutting him lose, but that he is one of the ones who for whatever reason they couldn’t develop here, but someone else did. I know, it happens, but that’s what I took his point as. (I will not mention the B word). :-)

Philly would do.

221. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Plain and simple….Gaby Sanchez must improve heavily when he is pinch hitting.

Like…one of the ones who stunk here then went to another team and is a good player….like that B person….

That, sir, we can certainly agree on.

Bahaha! Well played!

225. Bob Hasis says:

I’m curious about this; why are the names of ARod and Ryan Braun allowed by Bud Selig to be kicked around now in the media – as being in line for a 100 game suspension even though they may not get such a severe penalty – and the other 20 + players remain anonymous?

Does the star status of ARod and Braun create greater “excitement” about this travesty of truth and the game of baseball? The others are currently flying under the radar, while some of them may well be “stars” themselves.

There is a huge inequity being allowed here IMO. Many of these others may also merit the max penalty also.

I don’t quite get it.

226. AJS says:

That’s a very good point and I find myself agreeing with you more and more these days.

Is it “Worth it?”

I guess that depends on the tem and what they need. Which is why I pointed to the “right piece” whatever that may be. we will almost assuredly never know exact negotiations and who was asked for. What bugs me is when a deal does get done by some other team for a marginal price and you hear the Bucs passed because the other team wanted Taillon ad marte and Polanco. To me this points to huntington’s in ability to bargain. Instead of saying no and countering with something more palateable it seems he laughs and hangs up never to be part of the process again.

Looking for bench pieces this year should be somewhat easier, of course when looking for everyday payers last year we ended up with bench pieces so who knows what will come out of this. Heck maybe this four game slide is the start of somethign major and the Bucs aen’t even buyers come teh 31st. I mean we all certainly hopw that is not the case but it is not outised the realm of possibility.

Other names are out there, I think its just a case of those two being the “most famous” ones on the list, for example, Nelson Cruz is another fellow tied to the list

Funny, I wasn’t aware Pittsburgh still had a mayor.

229. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa…that’s a Steelers HOFer, we dont talk about them like that.

230. AJS says:

The issue with DeJesus is that he isn’t on teh forty man and the team isn’t quite ready to cut ties with any of the other 40 man guys. The obvious choice would to bid adieu to Harrison, but at this point he has about equivalent numbers in AAA as Dejesus and has played meaningful games in the bigs. He has had varried results, mostly bad but did show some marginal ability in some of his earlier stints. at one point he was a spark plug that seemed to have good things happen around him. that seems to have faded. You can argue he has had his shots and it is DeJesus’s turn, but I think the Bucs are more apt to go with the guy who has started in the pros before and not take a flier on DeJesus.

Say you cut Harrison. You add DeJesus to the 40. You bring him up. he hits .180 in what is mostly a bench role while Barmes and Mercer start everyday. DeJesus then does not get the chance to play every day and devlop and he is just as bad off the bench as aharrison was. You can’t send him down because there are no other middle infielders on teh 40 man. You are stuck.

Unless you advocate cutting Inge…i do…but you still are left with a prospect who would benefit from playing every day being stuck in a PH role.

Heard Huntington on MLB Radio about an hour ago. He said we may or may not make trades by the deadline.

Discuss.

232. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Exactly what I thought when I read this……Let’s hang on to him 3 more years “just in case”

If anything, it shows that there was something to him, but just didn’t click in Pittsburgh.

Listening to the A’s broadcast last night (Ray Fossi, LOOK OUT ITS PETE ROSE) anyway, said that Moss gives his power production surge credit to Jeff Bannister. Bannister opened his stance up and really changed his approach.

Pretty cool thing to hear.

I think he’s hit with sticker shock regarding prices of players that would make a difference

235. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

If you’re referring to Bautista, he didn’t really stink here. Put up 16, 15, and 12 HR’s before being traded with a batting average that would make NW jealous at this point.

The trade is what stunk, not the player. (though he did have his share of bonehead plays)

Gotta keep those other GM’s guessing. :-)

237. 24/7 has multiple tweets on the segment.

BTW, I found out last night that you can send in unused season tickets, I called to buy some for when Demon and company visit and I was asked if I had anything in my “bank”.

239. AJS says:

The names are not anonymous. I saw the list on ESPN when the news first broke. I don’t have it off the top of my head thought. there were only 2 or 3 other guys worth really noting on it if I recall.

240. pattonbb says:

They’re not anonymous, Bob. At least not most of them. A-Fraud and Cryin’ Ryan are just the “big stars”. Nelson Cruz, Melky Cabrera, Jhonny Peralta, Everth Cabrera, Francisco Cervelli, Jesus Montero, Fernando Martinez, Fautino De Los Santos, Cesar Puello, Bartolo Colon, and Yasmani Grandal just don’t get the same response.

241. Bob Hasis says:

Yes, I was aware of Nelson Cruz. Do we agree that those other two names make the story more sensational, and the post-All Star game announcement makes it “real dramatic”?

You know I shouldn’t be concerned, because the appeals process will be even more disgusting

242. AJS says:

Meh. that’s pretty much what you will hear from most GMs. “We will make moves if we feel they are appropriate to the teams goals and if not we are happy with what we currently have.”

243. Bob Hasis says:

Wow quite a list. Thanks for that!

Is there a common thread with the exception of Braun?

244. pattonbb says:

I saw those. Scratching my head over the “Clint’s an avid learner” quote though. Something just didn’t sound right about that.

245. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Exactly! Gaby’s line against LHP is .293/.406/.569 with 4 of his 7 HR’s against lefties.

That’s why he was acquired. He should only pinch hit against LH relievers late in games and start against LHP. The reverse for Jones.

Put these guys numbers together for a platoon in the right situation, this wouldn’t even be a topic of conversation.

ZING!

247. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

More Stats on Gabby…as a starter against LHP, he’s .318/.410/.606 with 5 of his HR’s coming as the starter.

What is that saying NMR likes to use again??

NH musta been missing the taste of his feet?

Yes. They’re all stinking, fraudulent cheats.

250. Nate83 says:

I don’t know maybe when the team finishes above .500 just one year maybe that would indicate it’s the right time. Otherwise you are doing what KC did and trading all your prospects for 1 guy who adds 3 or 4 wins to your team but you still miss the playoffs or don’t have nearly enough to compete if you sneak into the playoffs.

The Devil Rays have been in the same position we are almost every single year and not once that I can remember have they budged from their plan and traded propects for short term solutions. The Orioles and the A’s didn’t pick anyone up last year that was a big name. In fact the most recent teams that win the World Series do not have guys that they picked up at the trade deadline. The Giants picked up Pence but he hardly was the reason they won anything last year. He was horrible down the stretch.

There are a lot more examples of teams in similar situations as the Pirates (small/medium market clubs) not making the big move then one’s that do like the Brewers did with Sabathia. The big moves are usually made by teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angles, Rangers and Tigers. They don’t value prospects like other teams they can just get free agents to fill holes and in most cases their big moves don’t pay off and teams like the Giants and Cardinals win it all.

He’s not in the Hall yet. :-)

252. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agree with your last post NMR.

253. Bob Hasis says:

I think some concern should be with the eight starters too. We have no consistent producer among them as well.

Yes we need bench players, but if the starters across the board are not succeeding, this dilemma to me is akin to using a band aid when a tourniquet is required.

We’ve had several very well pitched games – especially the last two – which resulted in a loss because of no run production.

What are you basing this on Biz?

255. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Which is total garbage, especially in Pedro’s case.

256. John Lease says:

Happy Birthday to Gene Alley, a youthful 73 today.

257. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Now that sir, is perfect and spot on.

Sure they do. He’s just busy talking to/avoiding the FBI. Ole Luke didn’t drop out of the race for altruistic reasons. There was something in last Sunday’s PG about the investigation.

He need to go “back, back, back, back, back, and be gone !!! :)

260. Sisyphus says:

Ah yes, the old “Pirates can’t afford argument” is dusted off yet again.

The last Pirate team to make the playoffs had platoons or semi-platoons at four positions. The 1979 Pirates platooned at two positions. The 1971 Pirates did a lot of platooning at three positions. The 1960 Pirates platooned at two positions. I don’t hear anyone questioning their successes.

You construct your team by trying to maximize production. Sometimes you get the best production by platooning. Sometimes you get it by platooning a LOT.

I don’t love the Pirates ownership. I don’t care who owns the Pirates. You sure do, though.

Matt Harvey has been scratched from Saturday’s start at Pittsburgh. They shouldn’t have said anything, we probably wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference.

262. Sisyphus says:

Tabby hits righties and lefties about the same.

That’s a smart move. The Mets aren’t going anywhere this year, and he deserves to start the All Star game this year in his home park.

I think I read he has a blister on his throwing hand, that might be why he’s been scratched

265. pattonbb says:

That’s very cool, Jandy.

That baby will heal just fine by Tuesday. Pickle brine.

I’m not gonna ask how he got that blister ;X

Thanks patton!

Maybe, but more likely it’s an excuse. Like I say, I agree with it, but lets see if that ” blister” magically heals by Tuesday. :-)

270. pattonbb says:

Moises Alou could tell him how to toughen those girly hands.

271. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Who cares what he says, let’s see what he does. I’m not showing you my cards either.

Just another case of old neal being the smartest man in the room.
    I have ZERO confidence in him doing the right thing.
    Actually, I look for him to acquire more AAAA players and prospects. (Hello Mr. Snider).

273. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The laces on the ball can cause quite the blister. I know a lot of people joke around about a blister to the pitcher or whatever, but try throwing your pitches with one..

Not comfortable

274. Damon says:

@DK – The Pens signed winger Matt D’Agostini for $550,000. Is this Tyler Kennedy, the sequel? I know he scored 21 goals a couple years ago, and 550k isn’t much to take a flyer on a player, but he doesn’t seem like a bottom 6 forward unless the theory of having a 3rd line that scores plays out (D’Agostini-Sutter-Bennett). He and Jeffery may battle for that LW spot. Or he is just an extra forward….

I find it enjoyable, fascinating, frustrating. So I care. Certainly would not suggest you should or shouldn’t.

I was being sarcastic, but I’m sure the laces have something to do with it

Depth signing, no doubt.

278. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I know you were….they 99.9% do have something to do with it.

Laces, huh? You sly dog you. ;)

lolol

281. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

What we think is right and what is right for the team is more of an insiders view point.

I happen to think that his trade for Wandy, was spot on. So was his trades for DLee and Ludwick the year before. Snider and Sanchez were probably viewed as platoon type players, like they are.

I am truly praying for people to be ok tonight. I have seen pictures of the flooding, and I am scared for those who live in the South Hills. I really dont think the game is going to get played tonight………… thunderstorm warning til 9pm, and flood warning til 2am.

283. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

My first line doesn’t make sense………at least the “insiders view point” part. Let me try to clarify.

Meaning: We have no idea what takes place during trade talks. I wish it were like the movies, but I’m sure it isn’t.

Easy for us to want this player or that player..I know, I fall to that as well.

284. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I don’t recall saying platoons don’t work.
    I said Gaby Sanchez needs to do more than just hit LH pitching….example – PH

Save me the lecture on ’71 and ’79.
    I witnessed it…..

285. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I’m not really suggesting that you should or shouldn’t either.

Oh, I agree with you.
    I just have zero confidence in neal.

287. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I appreciate that..you know he would!!

288. Bob Hasis says:

Agreed.

I was lead to believe the country of certain players birth had a climate conducive to playing ball 12 months a year, which helped develop their skills. Probably so.

289. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

That would be awesome, however I cannot get to that website….I FWIW, I really haven’t wondered much.

I think the quote was more along the lines that ‘Clint likes to read and continue to learn things’. This was when they were talking about all the new stats & info provided by the “geeks” in the FO and how it is being used.

To me , it sounded like a compliment to Clint

really? It opened right up for me…

You know me, I shoot first and find out the facts later ;-)

My 87 year old Mom lives is South Hills, her house gets hammered all the time with storm rain, but she is on a pretty steep hill so no actual flooding from a stream or anything.

Its bad down there

294. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Understand, but to be honest, my confidence is growing.

295. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Where at in South Hills?

Ouch! I will add Mother Theresa’s prayers to the Hippo’s for safety for all!

yeah but you SMILE, Biz ;)

298. tdb1977 says:

Went home at lunch to check on the house. Have a wet basement again. Have some water in the garage. Rain gauge is actually higher then it was 2 weeks ago when 2.4 inches of rain feel in a 24 hour period, and that was after I took my morning reading of .89 inches. Chartiers Creek is very high. It was about 7 to 9 feet from the bridge deck I travel over each time I go or leave the house. A debris dam is developing at one of the bridge pillars. Another another round or two is coming in this afternoon and evening. Its going to be interesting later today to say the less if anything else comes along.

Now back to our daily sports blog.

Be safe, tdb, and I’m hoping for the best for you!

Game thread is up

301. The Gunner says:

Just playing devil’s advocate, that’s all. Moss had his share of chances here for sure. (Just like Tabata, Presley, Snider and probably more I have missed)

Baldwin, Rt 51 everywhere, Castle Shannon, Banksville rd., rt 88/51 corridor, Library/Bethel…………

basically everywhere.

Which happens to be worse than Schierholtz hits lefties.

Thus the platoon.

304. The Gunner says:

I am sure a “better hitter” is in NH’s pipeline

What would you guys suggest I do?

306. Brandie says:

Thanks, Jandy. I will miss the Cookie Monster. Things always end in a Muppets reference for me. :-)

307. Brandie says:

Sending vibes to those in the South Hills.

308. tomp says:

No he doesn’t. Frankly, it he wasn’t a NY Met, he might have been left off the team.

Wainright, Corbin, Zimmerman, and maybe even Locke are more deserving than Harvey.

309. Jason81 says:

There has to be a joke here about Bieber and Uranus, but I’m not going there.

310. DJ says: