Final: Pirates 3, Mets 2, 11 innings

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (54-36) vs. New York Mets (40-48)

Starters: RHP Charlie Morton vs. RHP Jeremy Hefner

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Garrett Jones, 1B
  7. Jordy Mercer, 2B
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Morton, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

Comments

1. bman says:

For PLAYOFFS:

The Window is off to make the 275 mile or so journey to PNC Park. Need one of kind souls to re-post this in today’s game thread for me. Thanks in advance.

TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE PLAY FRIDAY!!!
    Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Line #1
    Total INNINGS PITCHED by Charlie Morton in tonight’s game
    Line is 5.75

Line #2
    Total HOME RUNS hit by the Pedro Alvarez this weekend against the Mets
    Line is 1.5

PICK ‘EM Line #3
    Total WINS by the PIRATES this weekend against the Mets
    0 (TRIPLE ODDS)
    1 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    2 (EVEN ODDS)
    3 (EVEN ODDS)

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).
    GOOD LUCK!!!

P.S. – Anyone going to tonight’s game who wants to say hi is more than welcome to.
    I’ll be down in section 6.
    Just look for the guy with the slicked back hair sitting next to a Mets fans.
    Come on down near the front and yell out “HEY WINDOW!”
    I’ll know it’s one of my lunatic brethren.
    Offerings of IC Light will also be accepted ;)

2. Dom says:

I appreciate you taking the time to run this game!!!

1-50 UNDER!!!
    2-100 UNDER!!!
    3-100 on 2 GAMES!!!

THANKS!!!

3. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Line 1: 100 on the Over

Line 2: 100 on the Under

Line 3: 100 on the 2

4. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Decent lineup today. Let’s hope that 5 run momentum from the last A’s game carries over.

Shame that if they could’ve spread those 5 runs throughout the series they would’ve swept, but I digress

Shame

Are they booing already?

No, they are WOOOOing.

8. You owe me a Coke.

I think this has come up as a question but past homerun derby participants that weren’t selected to play in the All Star Game were:

Rafael Palmeiro – 2004
    Hee Sop Choi – 2005
    Ryan Howard – 2007

And by way of reminder, Brandon Inge participated in both in 2009.

10. blazer says:

I’ll take the over for lines 1 & 2 and take the 3 game sweep on the last line for 100 each.

11. Dom says:

Is RF still our biggest starting lineup need? With Tabata playing well, maybe we should add a 1B or someone who can platoon at the trade deadline.

12. JUCOFan says:

Line 1 — $100 under
    Line 2 — $100 under

I dont like Coke.
    Always been a Pepsi Hippo.
    Now I am a water Hippo.

14. Dom says:

Can you really taste the difference?

To me, Pepsi is sweet, Coke tastes metallic.

Of course, Nutrasweet tastes like bleach to me.

Havent had a Coke since the mid-80′s

Garrett Jones will be the 1B improvement the Pirates get for the second half.

Honestly. Does anyone think he’s finished? After hitting .312 in April, he just forgot how to hit righties?

He has absolutely been a disappointment. Currently in the longest slump of his career. But unless he’s finished as a major league hitter, he’s bound to come out of it.

17. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

No, he’s not finished. He’s very streaky and will hit the upside of that streak soon.

18. Matt hoffman says:

Line #1: 100 over
    Line #2: 100 under
    Line #3: 100 on 2 wins please

19. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

“Nobody on the trade market can come close to matching the Jones-Sanchez platoon when Garrett is hitting.”

Completly agree. They are a great tandem, when on all cylinders.

20. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Isn’t my boy Nate looking better and better with the improvement of Tabby??

21. T.S. says:

Pirates get Russ Canzler from Orioles. Say goodbye to Brandon Inge.

I don’t drink either very much any more. But, I was always a Pepsi guy. I always thought Coke was kind of bitter.

23. Dom says:

Buccos obtain OF Russ Canzler from the O’s in exchange for Tim Alderson.

24. Dom says:

Sorry, I noticed your message right as I clicked submit.

25. cmat0829 says:

Playoffs, thanks again for doing this…. let’s go;

1. OVER, for 100.
    2. UNDER, for 100.
    3. 3 for 100.

Word is, Canzler mashes lefties!!

Minor league filler.

I have a higher chance of being hired as a GM than a career minor leaguer has of supplanting a veteran on Clint Hurdle’s team.

28. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Looks like a semi-solid player, little bit of pop. Kinda like a R/H Garrett Jones.

You need to think about changing your name to theplaniswooing.

30. cmat0829 says:

Does anyone read the Oakland A’s version of this blog? Were their fans upset and ready to storm Billy Beane’s office with pitchforks when the A’s optioned Straily to AAA for a 15-day break taking advantage of the AllStar Game period to get him more, ahem, ‘work’ so he wouldn’t have a long break?

Did their fans decry their ownership as cheap Nuttings and their FO as incompetent boobs that only care about salary stuff and future and are not ‘all in’? Maybe they did, or maybe Billy Beane deserves the benefit of the doubt.

31. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

.415/.531/.815/1.346 line against LHP.

They list him as a LF/1B

But Hippos dont woo! ;)

33. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The A’s don’t have many fans….this area is dominated by the Giants. Seriously, I can get $4 tickets to A’s game on the back of a Pepsi (My prefered choice) can.

34. T.S. says:

It’s only one trade, but if that’s the kind of deadline swap Huntington thinks is a big time deal, then the Pirates are in deep doo doo.

Canzler plays 1b, some 3b, some RF/LF. He has a history of hammering lefties. I’d say it’s worth jettisoning Cr-Inge. So much for veteran leadership.

36. cmat0829 says:

Right, nothing to see here, move on.

I’m changing my thought process.

I was cool on guys like him and Ibanez because their history suggested that they probably aren’t gonna be as good as this in the future. Which, in hindsight, was pretty narrow minded since neither will necessarily be part of the Pirates future. I could care less what they do two years from now.

If Nate can come in and mash righties for the last couple months like he did for the first three, then sign me up.

38. cmat0829 says:

I am definitely no fan of Inge, but I just don’t think this is the move that does it… I do think they will get a different veteran for the bench, but this guy doesn’t have the experience, etc. They are better off going with JayHey, calling up Lambo or Presley and cutting Inge than going with Canzler.

39. You’re right. Pepsi is the best, but that old saying when you say the same thing as someone else is “you owe me a Coke”.

Every soft drink down here is generically called coke. Orange coke, sprite coke, etc., etc.

40. cmat0829 says:

Agree, I am admitting I was wrong…isn’t that the first step??… Ibanez would be a good pickup, you don’t have to play him every day, you can mix and match with Tabby…and either one is a much better bench option than what we have today.

41. Alderson was having a good year at Indy, albeit he lost last night.

Sorry to see him go, but he’s like Lambo. Needs a chance somewhere.

JMac to 60 day DL so won’t see him again this season and Canzler put on the 40.

43. Inge will go on the CL with some mysterious injury or illness.

I’m pretty sure Lew Wolf is just doing anything he can to get to San Jose.

Surely he’s better than JHay, cmat!

I don’t think this is it, either. But, maybe they can plug him in a few times and have some success against lefties until they make a bigger move.

Tattoo infection, maybe.

47. bizrow says:

100 over lines 1 and 2
    100 on the sweep, so we go into the All Star break 21 over

Thanks to Playoffs and all that help.

Beat Em Bucs

Go like 60

Lucky, I was in Atlanta years ago.
    Went into a restaurant, asked for a root beer.

Waitress: ” We dont have root beer”.

Me (confused)…. it says on your menu that you do.

Waitress(looking at menu like it was a top-secret nuclear manual……. OH!!! Thats a root beer Coke, honey!! Why didnt you say so?

Me: Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm……

Everything except for water, milk and coffee is a Coke.

To this day, If I go down south, I order water. :)

49. bizrow says:

Might not see him ever again, a non tender candidate for sure

50. Irish says:

50 on Over for Line 1
    50 on Under for Line 2
    Thanks, and have a great game, Playoffs!

I just don’t trust Hurdle to pull the plug on Ibanez when he eventually cools.

Guys given over 100 AB’s to Inge without showing the slightest sign that he can still hit. Ibanez is basically selling out for homeruns at this point. He stops hitting homeruns, or even regresses back to career norms, he’s worthless.

Absoltely right.

Wow. Not that I’m surprised, but it is strange to think we’ll never see James McDonald pitch again.

Quite the relief too.

For those of you around in the early days of the baseball blog over at PG.

Learned that one the early members of the blog passed away in February. Margaret (Moody) Hook, more often known as Marda, and on the blog as Cap’n She attended several of the early gatherings.

Until Bud and the Giants relent, they will never get there.

Definition of “AAAA”.

57. Bill Born says:

100 on under Line 1

100 on the under Line 2

50 on 1 Bucco victory Line 3
    Thank you for all your efforts.

58. Derek Smith says:

Lets see if we can go streaking starting tonight! I wish they would have kept Canzler hear and sent DFA’d Inge. Anything is better at this point than the current bench. I want to see Ivan Dejesus Jr. Just bite the bullet and put him on the 40 man and get him called up.

Before they signed Cespedes I swore they were going all Rachel Phelps from Major League.

“JUST a bit outside……………………..”

61. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

That’s all I was talking about. A rental guy. I wouldn’t even mind having one that can be used in the same situation next year, if there’s a possible out there.

I figure 2015 is Polanco’s year to take over RF.

62. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agree.

63. Kevin says:

#1 100 on under
    #2 100 on over
    #3 100 on 1 stinking win. And I hope I’m wrong about all but line #2. It starts tonight obviously. Hopefully Charlie and the Pirates can steal away a win from Hugh’s step-child tonight.

Oh, I know you were. One of these days I’ll just listen to you and save myself the trouble. :)

65. pattonbb says:

I was pulling for Alderson. Saw him pitch when he was in A ball for the Giants. Totally dominated. Really thought he was on his way to big things.

66. Great story, plan, and I believe every word of it.

If you don’t add coke at the end, forget it.

How about a Diet Pepsi coke on me?

67. I was, too. He was so messed up with his delivery after they tinkered with it when he got here, it seemed like he’d never make it to the bigs.

Hope he has some success with Baltimore.

68. Kevin says:

That guy used to be an all-star… what happened? :\

69. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agree. A great signing.

I think everyone should settle down and keep their clothes on. There are other ways, much less embarrassing and appropriate, to send a message to Wright.

71. MadTurk says:

Oh man I am sorry to hear this bad and sad news. She was a very nice person and had lots of passion for the Pirates.

72. pattonbb says:

That’s a shame. I remember Cap’n over there.

73. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Dont think that’s in your nature. You gotta break it down. That’s cool, cause I don’t usually do the numbers thing.

74. MadTurk says:

Gee people boo the first round pick at the NFL draft, Booed Mario, boo Sid and others all the time what’s with the no booing of Mr. got it wrong Wright if that is what people want to do? I could care less if Pedro was in the contest or not anyway.

75. Jason81 says:

Line 1–100 on the OVER

Line 2–100 on the UNDER

Line 3–100 on 2 W’s

76. Joey Mellons says:

Line 1. 100 over
    Line 2. 100 over
    Line 3. 100 on 3 games.

77. MadTurk says:

No booing the lineup that is about the best we have.

78. Kevin says:

Errybody knows its called pop or soda pop. I don’t drink pop though, too many calories and I prefer alcohol with my CO2 sugar water (beer). (but mostly just drink water)

79. macchamp74 says:

Hopefully Wright goes 0-12 this weekend….that’s all that matters to me about him.

I thought there would be a number of people here who remember her

81. JRay3 says:

Line 1 – 75 on the OVER

Line 2 – 50 on the UNDER

Line 3 – 50 on 2

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

82. BostonsCommon says:

I’m not certain that he’s heading for improvement. His BABIP is already at .311, which is 21 points HIGHER than his career average. Even over the past 30 days during his “slump”, its at .280 which is about league average. Too many swings and misses, too many K’s (K% is just a tick under 25%).

Too bad Matt Harvey didn’t get the message.

84. Frankie says:

Line 1 under for 50

Line 2 under for 75

Line 3 ….3 wins for 50

Thanks

Good point.

Ibanez – nice career. I don’t think he would be an improvement down the stretch.

Exactly.

We only need him to be better than Brandon Cr-Inge vs. lefties for now. How can he be worse.

Alderson just went from an organization with a solid homefield advantage for pitchers to a bandbox. Yikes for him!

Can I have a triple Amen, Lucky?

92. Dom says:

I agree with obtaining Ibanez. Rios has a higher OBP but ½ the homers and about the same strike outs. Plus, Ibanez can also play first if we need him to. In my mind, Ibanez is clearly the better of the two.

Numbery stats n such that probably only interest me…

-Jordy Mercer is hitting just .143 over his last 10 games, yet striking out about 8% less than in his first 41. His average on balls in play over this mini slump is just .167.

-Before giving up two homeruns to Alfonso Soriano in his last start, Charlie Morton had given up just one to a right handed batter since September 27, 2010 – a string of 43 starts and 195.2 IP.

Who said he’s Inge’s replacement?

Had a lucky year. He has always struggled hitting for average. I always thought he played solid defense, though. But, I think he has just lost it.

Guys that do not hit for a high average and don’t have good plate discipline, two things that have generally been weak for Inge, slip pretty quickly.

I don’t know that he is, but I think it is a possibility at some point. Inge’s job is to hit lefties (failing), PH (flailing), and be a back-up at 3b, 2b & RF.

And also the veteran influence BS, if you buy that.

This guy’s bio is that he is a 1b, but also has played some 3b as well as LF/RF. I don’t know what he does in the field, but Inge certainly is not a RF.

If this guy can hit lefties, wouldn’t you get rid of Inge for him? It is at least worth considering for the time being. I don’t think Tim (Sandy) Alderson was in the long term plans.

I just caught most of one of them on MLB Network a couple of weeks ago. Uecker is a riot.

98. Chuck H says:

Adding one player to our bench is not going to make that much difference, bad as it is. We need to clean house with that bench, and I mean replace at least 4 or 5 of the auto outs.
    GO,BUCS!!!

99. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I can see your Mercer numbers. though he’s slumping, I’ve noticed that he hasn’t been striking out.

So to me that’s a statistical slump, just needs to find some holes.

May 2012 .628 OPS 30.8% K% .268 BABIP
    Sept 2011 .626 OPS 23.6 K% .289 BABIP

This trend isn’t new.

I don’t want either one, but Rios scares me. And, trust me, if you have ever seen a game at US Commiscular, the ball flies in every direction. Rios won’t hit nearly as many HRs in PNC’s LF/LC.

102. stickyweb says:

Playoffs,
    100 UNDER line 1
    100 UNDER line 2
    100 on 2 wins

Thanks.

I would say that as well, except that I’ve seen most of his ABs and he has not been driving the ball well for awhile now. Seems like a lot of soft outs to me. I do think he’ll come out of it, though. He had an awesome, long AB the other night vs. the Oakland lefty. 10+ pitches, I think. The guy was already laboring forever, and Jordy toasted what was left of him that night. I don’t even remember the outcome of the AB, but it was sweet how he kept fouling off pitch after pitch.

I would go find a Major League player that can hit lefties, not a 27 yo minor leaguer.

Chuck:

That would be all of them, right? Including either Jones or Sanchez, Barmes, McKenry, Lunch Box?

I refuse to use the wonky “L” word when talking baseball and citing numbery stats, but yeah, Jordy could stand to benefit from a few better placed hits.

Speaking of relief, this Canzler signing says more about Jerry Sands than anybody.

Even the FO thinks he stinks.

But, what if he can succeed in a limited role (hit LHP)? Why do we have to be searching for the next Gregory Polanco? We already have him.

We need a guy that can do what Inge should but can’t. Until something better comes along, I think you go with this guy …. and keep searching. Maybe he makes us incrementally better for a few weeks. Maybe he really can hit well against LHP if that is all he is asked to do.

Sounds like a recipe to wait till next year. In other words, defeatist.

We’re losing close games that can be turned around by a hit or two. No roster blowup needed, or even adviseable, let alone possible.

110. cosmo says:

thanks, Mr. Playoffs,

line 1 – 100 on the over

line 2 – 100 on the under

line 3 – 100 on the sweep, think big, dream big.

Hahaha, how in the world do you get the looking for the next Polanco out of that?

Sheesh.

It’s really too much to ask to acquire an actual major leaguer?

Really?

That’s what AAAA guys are. They usually have one intriguing thing about them that keeps giving them chance after chance. They never counted on Sands. They took a flier and hoped a lightbulb might go on for him. It didn’t pay off. Most of them don’t. Nothing much risked for the chance.

Canzler probably won’t pay off, either. But, maybe he’ll get a few chances against LHP and do something. Inge has had about 4 good ABs all year. This guy has to be more competent than that. I’m willing to take the chance that he is. And, if a better deal comes up in the next few weeks, go for it.

I agree, Arriba. A lot of people don’t seem to want to accept that this is not a collapse at the moment. This is a string of tough losses – exactly the kind of tough losses we have been putting on other teams all year. It is just evening out. Close games are games that either team can win, and it isn’t a sign of much of anything when you lose several in a row.

I’m not saying that makes them easier to take – only that losing 2-1, 3-2, 2-1 might have more to do with tough luck than falling apart. Now, if we were losing every game by 7-2, 8-3, 10-4 that’s a different story. Close games are toss-ups. The pitching has continued to be solid. We do need to score more runs to have more games like Wed. night, though.

100% right. The collapses haven’t started until game #101. Not quite there yet. I’ll have some great numbers for you when we do.

Awww Crap, Arriba.

You take all the fun out of baseball.

116. Dadtackular says:

Line one. Under $100
    Line two. Under $100
    Line three. Two wins $100

117. Lad9 says:

Over
    Over
    2 games

All for 100. Thank you. Go Buccos!

Line #1—OVER
    Line #2—UNDER
    Line #3—2 wins

All for 50

119. Daquido_Bazzini says:

So ends the illustrious Pirate career of one Tim Alderson.
    SF got Freddy Sanchez and a World Series trophy….And the Pirates got a perennial minor leaguer.
    Sounds like Huntington got the best of this trade….If he was looking to stock Altoona’s team on a yearly basis.

120. Quadruple.

Or like the late, great John Osteen used to say,

“Can I have a better amen?”

121. Double Deuce says:

Actually, Inge had horrible tendinitis in both knees in 2009, and basically just ground them down playing 3B everyday down the stretch as an imperfect Tigers team limped to a 162 game tie with the Twins, and lost a one game playoff to the Twins. Hitting ~.280 at the all star break, he finished, I think, in the .240s; his defense kept him in the lineup. Despite knee surgery(s) after the season, he was never the same afterward.

However, I would not quibble with Jim S’ broader point that Inge’s hitting skill set was made up of qualities that would not have aged well under any circumstances.

122. pattonbb says:

Line 1 – 100 UNDER
    Line 2 – 100 UNDER
    Line 3 – 100 on 2 WINS

For all you Nate Schierholtz supporters out there, beware. He’s only hitting .229 away from the friendly confines with a .297 OBP. Unless the Pirates move their home games to Wrigley, I’ll pass.

124. pattonbb says:

Padres designated Ciriaco for assignment.

125. bman says:

@playoffs

Line 1: 50 on the UNDER
    Line 2: 75 on the UNDER

Mr. Playoffs…… of section 6 fame…….. may I have the following?

Line 1 — 100 Hippos on the OVER.
    Line 2 — 100 Hippos on the UNDER.
    Line 3 — 50 Happy Hippos on 1 WIN.

Thank you.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! ;)

127. radio wave says:

I playoffs: have a great time at the park this weekend. Bring us some wins, and bring me some points. I will take 100 on the under for both choices one and two. Give me 100 onto wins this weekend. Thanks

128. Daq has never been so accurate!!

I agree wholeheartedly with him.

As good a time as any for a “Killing the Closer” update.

Mujica – 39.2 IP
    Grilli – 38.2 IP
    Chapman – 36.2 IP

130. Thanks for the info, JAL.

God’s Peace to her family.

Radio–you didn’t say how many wins, bro.

From my couch, I am booing David Wright

I’m not sure why, but I am

I’m pretty sure that if the Mets were playing in Arizona this weekend, The Mighty Goldschmidt would be headed to the Home Run Derby.

A better, new and improved amen. ;)

135. I agree, Sweet Jimmie!

I am a former supporter and longtime follower of Rios. I think he has a lot of Derek Bell in him!

+10

But I know why. DK’s column.

Your % is going down again…………. ;)

Well, they boo’d him slightly.

Good thing they didn’t WOOOOOOOOOOO him, huh? ;)

Did Brown boo him?

I am cheering for Pedro.

Feels good.

141. Bob Hasis says:

What a pleasure and a relief to see that kind of a throw from our catcher!

142. Shortstop throws Tabata out if Wright doesn’t cut that ball off.

But looks like up against the wall in the scorebook.

PEDRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but I boo Brown!!!

145. Bob Hasis says:

The Last Laugh and the Last Word – goes to PEDRO

“How do you like those big apples from the big bull?!”

My new favorite home run call from my favorite announcer.

AJ looked pretty happy about Pedro’s HR, even for him.

148. Tabata hit. Pedro dong.

I’m starting to like that.

Pedro is such a better hitter when he is not trying to pull everything. So is McCutchen.

I can’t believe I booed someone who has a Foundation.

150. Patrick(ri) says:

Couldn’t script a better “response” than PA hr to dead center. That is class.

How dare you.

I am keeping track of a percentage for you.

152. Matt hoffman says:

I am in Louisville watching the Indians and Lambo just crushed. 3-1 fastball over the right-centerfield wall. Just sayin’.

I love it when you channel your inner accountant.

Truth. I didn’t boo.

Matt
    Who ever is playing third base for the team Indy is playing — boo him.

True fans would boo

155. Patrick(ri) says:

As a critic of his contributions, I have to say I am very impressed with Barme’s response to his situation. He has risen to the occasion, apparently helped Mercer and been a true pro. “Good stuff,” as Blass might say.

Maybe he learned something from Corriea’s response last season

157. Matt hoffman says:

I would like to see Lambo in the ‘Burgh. I think he would be a good bat off the bench!

158. Bring him up. Send Inge to……..

159. Matt hoffman says:

That is funny Thunder! My mouth is too full of bratwurst to boo, I don’t want it to fall out!!!

160. Patrick(ri) says:

Appreciate the agreement. Now i have to think of something negative to say, before this gets out of hand.

161. pattonbb says:

…purgatory.

162. Bob Hasis says:

I’ll tell you what I like, is the way Morton is throwing the ball. Excellent control, location, movement and a lot of ground balls. His speed is also very good.

I think I like him a lot better with Martin catching. Makes a big difference, especially for him.

Cleveland federal prison………. ;)

With a Pepsi Coke for refreshment……….

Hey Dejan,

Any idea what Charlie’s xFIP is tonight ?

168. I’m not Catholic, so Cleveland or Philly will do.

169. John Lease says:

What’s his alternative? He’s signed his last ML contract, he better hope for an invite to spring training next year.

170. Besides, Louisville is the Reds’ farm club. Why would you ever want to boo anyone concerned with the Reds, TC?

That will raise your percentage.

171. The Gunner says:

Inge will be gone by the end of this month. Looks like Brother Morton is getting into a groove.

172. :D

Very funny.

JRay would appreciate that humor. Wonder where he is.

If he’s in the ‘Burgh, we win for sure.

He looks like he is throwing 94-96

Is he like a lucky rabbit’s foot?

175. He was in Anaheim for that sweep, I believe.

Wright provides his own answer.

178. Patrick(ri) says:

Perhaps, but since his contract runs out this year, I am just pleased to see he does his job w/o whining or pouting (a not uncommon response by benched athletes).

Good memory.

180. pattonbb says:

Tabata needs to make that play.

181. The Gunner says:

Uh oh. Mercer saved Tabata on that one.

182. Derek Smith says:

I didn’t know Tabata had that kind of arm. Pretty good throw to second.

You are right Lucky.

Plus I didn’t check to see if he has a foundation

184. The Gunner says:

You are correct

Nice to see Cole hanging out with AJ.

186. The Gunner says:

The BMTIB needs to offer an extension to AJ

They’re obviously trying to win this game 2-0.

Not to be obvious, but Charlie’s looking dang good.

He really is, but …

190. Dave G says:

More great D tonight.

Marte’s throw to second and then Mercer’s play to first.

Chicken

That was directed at our offense, or lack thereof. Not Charlie.

193. twentytwo22 says:

3 outs to Melancon. Are we going to make it? Is the offense going to score another run? Stay tuned.

194. Patrick(ri) says:

Walk cracks me up. “Sometimes you got to throw something different.”

I hate Root Sports and their broadcast of these home games. All the crowd shots including people getting food

Score some bleeping runs.

197. florida steeler says:

Typical Morton–more than five innings is an adventure. Horrible pitch.

DK: Morton has allowed two runs in seven innings. If that’s an adventure, then three must be ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ or something.

198. The Gunner says:

You said it, Milo. #24 leads off the 7th for us, maybe #25 is forthcoming

199. Reading says:

Hook time.

200. The Gunner says:

Morton just showed you!

201. florida steeler says:

You are right. First, the auction and all the usual phony shots of people told to yell–Lets go Bucs.

Three bleeping hits.

203. florida steeler says:

The defense has saved him all night.

+1 for DK on that one.

Not only are they going to lose this game, they’re probably not going to get another baserunner. Pathetic.

DK: Hefner has been really good for the Mets for a while now.

206. pattonbb says:

That was a great throw.

207. florida steeler says:

But, we won’t give up quality to get a proven, quality hitter. Those people that think the Sox would give up Rios for Snider and Sanchez are living in dream land. To get quality, you have to give up quality and this is the year to get a proven bat.

208. Parrothead01 says:

Is jones 0 for July. I can’t remember the last game he got a hit.

209. Reading says:

Here’s an easy glass-half-empty prediction: Wright will hit game-winning HR.

210. cherokee23 says:

Agree…..2 runs in 7 can’t be blamed on the pitcher

211. Matt hoffman says:

Stolmy is pitching brilliantly here in Louisville tonight. Only 1 hit through seven innings. I wonder what trade value he would bring in return?

OK. Maybe I’ll settle for a line drive. Just one.

DK, this isn’t about tonight.

DK: Of course not. Wasn’t rebutting. Merely adding.

Well, technically you can, if you dont know what you are talking about……..

215. Reading says:

Quality AB.

216. florida steeler says:

Snider is the best our bench has to offer. Bad!!!

217. Patrick(ri) says:

Snider down, Lambo up = no brainer. Inge released, ? Added = no brainer # 2.

The auction doesn’t bother me. It is only once a year

I’m being too harsh. We have had one base runner since the 1st inning.

220. tdb1977 says:

An open letter to Snider…

Dear Mr. Snider -

You do know that your not suppose to swing at balls at your eye ball level. 9 out of 10 little leaguers know that, why don’t know? I hope the Pirates find a better use for you. I hope they place your butt on the pine and it doesnt move from their again. When you do make contact with the ball, they only manage to make it to an infielder. I think your couple of home runs this year are truely miracles. I hope we don’t have to see you play in a Pirates uniform for much longer.

Sincerely,
    Me

221. florida steeler says:

4-6 really good. Hmm.

But its TBMTIB doing the brain stuff, so your scenario will never happen………

223. Patrick(ri) says:

This is getting tough to take. I am not very confident about Lambo, but something must happen, even if it is further frequent miles for Presley.

Best ERA in the NL since June 1st.

225. Patrick(ri) says:

We have the guys up who are supposed to do it. I think they will succeed.

226. Reading says:

Walk-off time. Martay-Partay. Let’s go Ta-ba-ta. Cutch clutch. Pedro.

227. Patrick(ri) says:

Even if they bunt!

Somebody’s going to have to hit one out. It’s how they operate. :)

He was neal’s BIG GET in the Lincoln trade.

He will play frequently because of that.
    Keep this in mind.

if they dont, can we boo?

And the “woooo’s” are out I see……….

231. Reading says:

Oh, and WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Marte shows great hustle almost all the time since that talk with Gabby!!!

233. Patrick(ri) says:

Now, take three shots . . .please!

:) Ha Ha Ha.

235. tdb1977 says:

walk off alvarez! 3 run blast!

236. tdb1977 says:

Calling it!

237. Patrick(ri) says:

Of course not. Hope it works, after the double play is set up. We have such a stellar record with RISP.

Why did Collins have Aardsma pitching more than 1 inning this late in the game?

239. Patrick(ri) says:

How about a bunt now?

Hmmm.

I say send Cutch…if for nothing else to stay out of the DP

Sliders are Pedro’s enemy.

243. Reading says:

Come on Man!! Need the W to keep pace with Cards.

244. Patrick(ri) says:

One of the fastest men on the planet on 2nd with no outs–I still say, take three shots. Just an opinionated fan, of course.

245. pattonbb says:

I liked Lincoln, but he was Brad Lincoln, not Mariano Rivera. Toronto’s getting about as much out of Lincoln as we are out of Snider
    Just my opinion.

246. florida steeler says:

Same thing every night with runners in scoring position.

247. DJ says:

How can he possibly take one right down the middle, only to go after the inside junk. Ugh.

Up to Russell again . . .

Russell Martin is 1 for his last 17.

249. The Gunner says:

Martin needs to do it NOW

250. Patrick(ri) says:

Martin is one of our better options in this spot.

Shame

252. The Gunner says:

He’s due, Milo

253. Patrick(ri) says:

Looks like the pitcher knows this.

Sorry it’s 19.

Oh, I agree, and nowhere did I even speak of how good/b ad he was.

I was just stating the fact that Snider was the big get, and he will play because of that.
    neal doesnt like admitting mistakes, you know.

256. tdb1977 says:

Let Jones hit instead of Sanchez.

Just made my wife watch Porky’s

She didn’t get it

Sadly, neither do I anymore

258. pattonbb says:

Agreed. I totally misunderstood what you were saying.

Wild pitch or HBP. Either will do.

260. DJ says:

Still waiting for the Gaby signature 2013 moment . . .

261. Patrick(ri) says:

Here’s a plan: put Harrison in for Marte and steal home.

Walk ?

* SIGH *

Oh, and Booooooooooooo.
    And Wooooooooooooo. ;)

264. Patrick(ri) says:

Did you miss that game he stole second and scored from there?

I think you just got it.

266. DJ says:

Yes, Gaby certainly is mashing lefties.

One career walk-off hit is all you need to know.

267. Bob Hasis says:

Earl Weaver just got indigestion with Tabata’s bunt, which set up perfectly the strategy for the Mets.
    If Tabby is such a great hitter to right, why not go for it. He is after all, our “hottest” hitter of late.

Remember, our closers have been used.

This is one of those “other” 54 games

268. florida steeler says:

Gaby Sanchez absolutely STINKS!!! And, don’t tell me about his phony average against left handers. This lineup is pathetic.

DK: Behold the ‘phony average!’

Sanchez is batting .288/.417/.549 vs. lefties. Not for real, of course.

Well, we’re up to 4 hits now.

270. Patrick(ri) says:

This is the strangest season I can recall. By far.

271. Patrick(ri) says:

So. Just another ho hum game.

273. DJ says:

I was thinking with the bat in his hand. Pretty bad when you need to talk a bout a steal with a 4-5 hitter.

274. J Walter Weatherman says:

The Pirates don’t deserve to win this game.

“Pirates 2013 – Giving Dead Guys Indigestion.” :)

276. DJ says:

It’s a solid point, Bob. You almost never see it him hit to the left side in that situation.

277. Bob Hasis says:

I know he’s dead , and you know I know

278. Patrick(ri) says:

Wonderful! Your commentary is more fun than Walk’s.

279. DJ says:

. . . then again, maybe the Marlins were pulling him by the 7th inning.

I do, and I do. I just thought it made for a perfect slogan.

281. Patrick(ri) says:

How about this: weaver coaching third Paul Waner at bat with runner on second & we play a little Zombie baseball?

282. Parrothead01 says:

Gosh, it must be nice to actually have guys on the bench that can actually get a hit. Very team but Pittsburgh seems to have them.

283. Bob Hasis says:

That should give you some idea what they are doing to us

284. Bob Hasis says:

Keep it serious Patrick

285. Bob Hasis says:

Any predictions what Wright will do?

286. Patrick(ri) says:

Uh, oh!

287. Reading says:

Well, here we go.

He’s 3 for his last 27. 0 RBI.

And now for the perfect end to the perfect evening, Mr. David Wright ladies & gentlemen.

290. DJ says:

Hope Wright is not thinking pay-back time.

291. Patrick(ri) says:

Sorry, Bob, It’s the Zinfandel.

292. Bob Hasis says:

Can’t let HIM beat us. Should have walked him and let Watson face Davis

293. Patrick(ri) says:

This particular moment is great fun.

294. Bob Hasis says:

Powerful stuff

What’s a phony average?

I honestly thought it was worse than that.

297. Bob Hasis says:

Pretty dramatic stuff, and Wright always gets a good swing and a good at bat

298. Bob Hasis says:

So far the bullpens are 0-0

Yo lo tengo.

300. Patrick(ri) says:

This game has everything(except hitting).

301. florida steeler says:

His ops of 753 shows what stats mean–NOTHING

302. tdb1977 says:

Another Pirates hit. Amazing.

They just played Don’t Stop Believin’.

304. Patrick(ri) says:

He may be AAAA, but I like this kid.

They should walk Marte.

306. Bob Hasis says:

Translation req’d.

307. Reading says:

If they’re just going to walk our two good hitters, then this will go 20.

308. DJ says:

OK, all the Tabata lovers have got their wish.

Let’s all see. Pulling for him.

309. Patrick(ri) says:

Opportunity, Jose. Grab it.

310. tdb1977 says:

Seize the day Tabata!

311. DJ says:

. . . oh well.

312. florida steeler says:

Great song.

313. DJ says:

Seize your glove and head back to right field.

314. florida steeler says:

How has this team won all their games?? Hitting with runners on is abysmal.

Uh oh, the reverse closer Vin Mazzaro. The game is going to end now, one way or the other.

316. Jason81 says:

Clint’s walk-up song.

317. Patrick(ri) says:

Superb pitching and above average defense. Not much else, apart from some really good fortune.

OK there’s part 1. Vin loves decisions.

319. Bob Hasis says:

For innings 8,9,10 and 11, the game was in the hands of the manager. Now it is totally back in the hands of the players

Phony wins.

321. tdb1977 says:

Who has the advantage in the bullpen at this point?

It means I got it. When the 2 fielders nearly collided. Remind me, I’ll give you the full story another time. Dates back to the ’62 Mets.

The Mets have played some long exrta-inning games this year.
    I am surprised their arms havent fallen off…………

Before tonight his OPS against lefties was .976. You chose the lefty parameter.

Start it with a 2 run homer, end it with a 2 run homer ?

326. tdb1977 says:

Just like our bullpen and their arms falling off? Before long, both teams pens will be throwing with their legs and feet!

327. twentytwo22 says:

The played 16 innings Monday at San Francisco. Off day yesterday though.

328. Patrick(ri) says:

I think lead-off walks score about 1/3 of the time. Anybody know what the Pirate average is this season?

329. Bob Hasis says:

Too symmetrical

330. tdb1977 says:

Here is Gaby’s signature moment for 2013. This has to be it.

Ouch, Cutch got his fingers stepped on with that steal.

332. DJ says:

This is what happens when you have several soft spots in your order. Walks galore . . .

333. pattonbb says:

I don’t care how many hr’s Pedro has hit. Those last two at bats have been putrid. He has to do a better job there.

They’re walking 1 for 19 to face 3 for 27.

335. Reading says:

Sissies. Of course, the strategy will work. But still.

336. DJ says:

Here’s hoping this is his first one.

337. tdb1977 says:

Why look at 3-0. You know the pitch is basically going to be right down the middle so they dont walk you on 4 straight pitches.

338. Patrick(ri) says:

Did you catch the Walkism about keeping our fingers crossed?

Still waiting ………….

340. Bob Hasis says:

I forgot – managers can still give a take sign on 3-0

341. Patrick(ri) says:

Sorry, this is response to AW above

3 for 28.

343. Reading says:

Quality, I say, quality.

344. DJ says:

Gaby is horrible . . . and please save the splits.

MERCER !!!!

RAISE THE JOLLY HIPPO !!!!!

347. Reading says:

Bleeder gets it done!

Needed this win.

Mercer me? (Brown)

Vin Mazzaro = decisions.

You know AW, you bring up a great point.
    They DID need this win.

Sobering thought……………………

if it wasnt for the Pirates excellent pitching and defense, they would easily be under .500 right now. They would be down with the Cubs and Brewers.

Thank god for their pitching and defense.

351. tdb1977 says:

+1 for both of you

352. pattonbb says:

Increasing his trade value daily.

353. Patrick(ri) says:

In the final analysis, it is not “how” — all Ws count the same. With that profundity, I wish a good night to all you lunatics.

354. Debaser says:

Love the band Yo La Tengo whose name is based on that story.

355. Tom P. says:

Milo, The minister at my church used the yo lo ten go story at a wedding. Great story. I remember that wedding almost as well as my own.

Now I’m going to let Vin Scully calm me down for a few innings.

357. Dadtackular says:

+1 hippo

Now that man, I will never boo.

359. Dadtackular says:

He carries a cell phone in his back pocket. “Phony average”

360. Daquido_Bazzini says:

A win is a win is a win….But tonights Pirate game “should have been a win alot earlier.
    Simply incredible that they could not get Starling Marte in, after he doubled to lead off the bottom of the ninth.
    Get this team a some added offense off the bench!

361. John Lease says:

For someone with a radio mike, you sure like horrible puns and announcing.

362. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Need one of you kind souls to re-post this in today’s game thread for me. Thanks in advance.

SATURDAY OVER/UNDER!!!

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Tonight’s Line