Final: Pirates 4, Mets 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (55-36) vs. New York Mets (40-49)

Starters: RHP A.J. Burnett vs. RHP Carlos Torres

Time: 7:15 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Fox (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Garrett Jones, 1B
  7. Jordy Mercer, 2B
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Burnett, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel, Karen Price and I are on the scene.

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

July 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Need one of you kind souls to re-post this in today’s game thread for me. Thanks in advance.

SATURDAY OVER/UNDER!!!

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Tonight’s Line
    Total RUNS SCORED by the Pirates in tonight’s game
    Line is 4.5

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).
    GOOD LUCK!!!

2. pattonbb says:

100 on the OVER

I was just checking & the Pirates record with me in attendance this year is only 5-5. Considering they’ve been so good at home I feel like I’m not keeping up my end of the bargain.

50 on the UNDER, please.

This Torres guy is hard to figure out, with a sub 1.0 ERA and WHIP, but it’s in 17 innings as a reliever. Considering what we saw last night, our seeming difficulty historically with new pitchers and AJ pitching, I’m guessing under. Still think we can win, though.

Baseball?

We were having so much fun on the SEC thread.

Thank you Paul Finebaum.

8. pattonbb says:

Paul Finebaum says thank you espn.

How true. If it wasn’t for them I’d have no idea who the guy was. They have him on Outside the Lines every time there’s a scandal in the SEC. You know, couple times a week. :)

10. pattonbb says:

You’re a funny guy, Milo.

Most people wouldn’t know him. His radio show was really popular in some southern markets. ESPN just signed him to a huge contract. He’s getting his own network show, radio deal, and he’s contracted to make a bunch of appearances on those terrible tv shows.

11. blazer says:

Give me 100 on the under please

12. War Horse says:

100 on the UNDER, please.

13. War Horse says:

While Carlos Torres has unexpectedly made his way into the Mets’ starting rotation, the team is excited to see just what the right-hander can do in Saturday’s game against the Pirates at PNC Park.

Give me a million on the SEC, please

The SEC thread is still there. No law forcing you leave it. :)

DK: I knew the day was going to be a good one. But a rare glimpse into JAL’s snarky side? Gold, Jerry! Gold!

16. Dadtackular says:

100 SEC Violations on the under.

17. Carl Reagle says:

Wish marte and tabata would switch in the lineup

18. radio wave says:

It is interesting that by the end of tomorrow with a sweep the Pirates will have 57 wins the same as the total for 2010. In that year they would face young rookie pitchers and they would lose. Tonight it will not be that way, give me 100 on the over. Have a good time at the game.

19. radio wave says:

At playoffs and lucky: if the Pirates sweep the weekend, they will go to the break with 57 wins the total for 2010. In that year, they could not beat rookie starters. Tonight will not be that way, give me 100 on the over. And have a good time at the game.

20. radio wave says:

Sorry for the double post, the website gave me an error message the first time.

21. Eric Bowser says:

* Jeff Locke won’t start Sunday, Gerrit Cole will replace him on the mound as Locke has back issue. This also means Locke will not pitch at the All-Star break but he will attend.

* Pirates 2nd half rotation is supposed to be Francisco Liriano, A.J. Burnett, Locke, Charlie Morton, and Cole.

* If everyone remains healthy and rotation remains as scheduled, Morton would pitch in the regular season finale in Cincinnati, which would put Cole and Liriano in line to pitch in a 1-game playoff situation if the Pirates would only clinch a Wild Card spot.

Troubling news about Locke.

Wanna see some JALSnark?

Post a link from the morning links.

Then duck.

And pray.

24. Frankie says:

100 on the over

25. Eric Bowser says:

Yeah, hopefully just a little stiffness but since he’s still going to New York for the All-Star festivities, most likely very minor.

26. Brandie says:

I would like 25 on the under, please, with the hope that the Pirates will surprise. I am back early, due to too many traffic accidents on I 81 and on Rt 22 / Honest own Road (unfortunately, with a fatality) stopping my husband and I from getting tobKempton, PA. 7 hours in the car for a three hour trip that ended with a night spent in a Microtel in Hamburg, PA due not only to the accidents, but, also, a driving rainstorm (not sleeping in a moist towelette again). Trip was snake bit from the beginning.

27. Jason81 says:

100 on the OVER, please!

28. Brandie says:

Hones town Road =Jonestown Road.

You passed right by me !!!
    Literally!!! I live 3 miles from the 81/22 interchange at the Fort Indiantown Gap.

Small world, Muppet!

30. Brandie says:

I saw/a Hippo at Cabela’s this morning and thought of you. Ft. Indian Town Gap, huh. Cool.

We ended up on Jonestown Road as a detour from 81 only to be caught in that accident as well. We also saw the aftermath of a third accident as we got onto 78 then just gave up.

Ha! You literally passed by my house, if you were on Jonestown Road.

And that hippo at Cabela’s is an imposter!!!!!

Just sayin!

Sorry you had such a bummer of a time………..

32. cmat0829 says:

100 over . thanks.

33. Brandie says:

It happens. We once left an Allman Brothers show in Burgettstown due to a driving rainstorm. Sometimes you rule the day, sometimes the day rules you. Thank goodness we did not leave any earlier.

If I would have known you were literally by my house, I would have welcomed you with some BBQ, adn exclusive use of my Pond!

35. Lad9 says:

Will take the over for 100 Tom Clements passes to Ken McAfee to beat Alabama in the 73 Sugar Bowl. Thank you Playofffs and Lucky. Go Buccos!

36. Brandie says:

Thank you for the hospitality. I was on Jonestown Road at the strip mall at the Subway, not too far from Colonial Park Mall. My sister in law worked at Lens Crafters there many years ago.

37. Lad9 says:

Brandie!

Sorry about your trip. But will look forward to your blog presence this weekend. Have to head out to a grad party for a few hours and should be back for most of the game.

38. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may I have 50 STFD’s on the OVER? It’s long overdue to get AJ some serious run support.

39. Brandie says:

Husband says next time we go to Kempton to let you know so we can meet for drinks, dinner.

40. MadTurk says:

Hurt his back picking up the new jersey I hear ;-)

41. Keith says:

I’ll take 100 on the UNDER, just because AJ has gotten jobbed by the offense a lot this year.

42. Brandie says:

Marshall Henderson. Tyrann Matthieu.

43. Keith says:

Okay – that’s a lot of projection there. Don’t forget that they play at least one DH (which I’ll be attending July 30). Too many other factors here to project out that far.

44. JD says:

100 over please. Go Bucs! Enjoy the game.

That would be nice!

But remember about the news I got, and the busy week I have coming up? Lets just hold that for a minute. I will give details later next week.

Have a grad time, Lad! ;)

I will be lounging near my Pond til gametime.

Jim O’Brien, Graham Spanier

(First one’s for you, Lucky)

48. Brandie says:

It will be a while til we are out that way again.

49. Brandie says:

Never liked Spanier. Always thought he was as crooked as the day is long, but no one asked me. All they did was take my money. :-)

50. cherokee23 says:

100 over

51. Brandie says:

As far as Jim O’Brien, that’s Ohio State and I can’t stand them. The we are Ohio State and you’re not gets really old.

52. Vette60 says:

Hi All.

Hope everyone is doing well…

For today’s line – I say 100 on the UNDER, please….

Take care,
    Randy in RVA.

Who starts the first game in the World Series?

Ah. Another Penn State grad?

Me, too. But I don’t talk about it as much as I used to after, well, you know.

55. Guess I need to go back to my Buckeye avatar and make some people ill on here.

Jim O’Brien, Jim Tressel, Woody Hayes, John Cooper, that’s for you.

56. War Horse says:

LOCKE OUT SUNDAY AND FOR ALL STAR GAME

This may be one of the more fortuitous injuries (hopefully minor, imagined or contrived) of the Pirates’ season. For one pitcher to throw an inning or so in the All Star game means very little for a team trying hard to play its’ best in every game of the regular season and make it successfully into the playoffs.

57. That’s between JMac and Jonathan Sanchez. Karstens starts the second game.

Clearly, Milo. There’s still time to rebound, though.

59. scapper says:

WT…H(eck)…gotta keep things clean on this here board…

Anyone in the DC area know if we are out of luck with the Bucs game tonight? My local Fox has the Nats/Marlins on. Being a national game, of course, it’s not on the Season Ticket package. If anyone knows where it fan be found on Comcast in the DC area, please let me know. Thanks!

Sounds like a chain gang.

61. John Lease says:

I think it’s on FOX so it might be on channel 5 here in DC, or channel 213(mlb network-DIRECTV). Always check the alternate, channel 214 as well.

It appears Barmes is back as a starter though. I will say he’s better than Inge.

I will gladly take 100 SEC recruiting violations on the UNDER for tonight.

Hippos dont like elephants very much, after all………

Nats and Marlins will on in the DC area. No Pirates

64. scapper says:

Thanks…but no dice. Appreciate the response. Guess it’s gonna be “Killer Joe” from the ol’ DVR instead. Go Bucs! Got tickets for two games here. Meaningful Bucco baseball in DC. I always told people here it was gonna happen but deep down I didn’t really believe it.

65. scapper says:

Thanks. Guess I’ll wait for 1:35 tomorrow. GO BUCS!

Locke was the only starter in the opening rotation not to miss a start. AJ, Wandy, Sanchez, JMac, Locke.

67. bizrow says:

Well, what the hey

100 on the over

Thanks to all

Beat Em Bucs

Go like 60

68. bizrow says:

+ 1

69. bizrow says:

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach
    France – Strasbourg
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE – added 5/21
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE – added 5/21
    Oregon – Roseburg
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*

372 locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Blier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    First Responders***
    21 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    7/13/2013 6:41 PM

Gave my tickets to my godson tonight. My Mom broke her hip, that makes both of them.

Sammy will bring home a win

70. It is.

A guy named Sandusky is the trustee.

71. Bdhumbert says:

What – no double odds for 5.5
    And triple for 6.5

Put me down for 100 – Barmes will get on base 2+ times

Midland pa is my home town

72. War Horse says:

This is such a cheerful photograph from last night’s game, it’s worth a share even if you’ve seen it before.

73. JRay3 says:

Hanging with the window right now at the Bowtie Bar, great guy. Told him I need to get in on the action.

100 on the OVER

Let’s Go Bucs!

Nah, probably hurt it golfing Thursday. :-)

75. Bill Born says:

50 on the under
    Please

76. Karen22 says:

Wedding Hangover Person says 50 on the OVER.

77. Joey Mellons says:

100 on the under.

Everything cool?

Bizzy:

Did you see this one?
    ===========================================================

Bdhumbert says:
    July 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm

What – no double odds for 5.5
    And triple for 6.5

Put me down for 100 – Barmes will get on base 2+ times

Midland pa is my home town.

80. Karen22 says:

Arriba—

I think you asked about my son’s wedding a couple days ago. I am STILL recovering a week later! We knew this was going to be a very, merry UN-wedding when the priest, a former classmate and friend of son’s new wife, launched into the “MAWWIAGE” scene from “Princess Bride” on the altar! YEP, he did!

Many other hilarities ensued, including our Mom-Groom dance that began with tears (“Baby Mine”). Then, with a flip of son’s way cool top hat (out popped two Pirates’ baseball caps), it morphed into “Centerfield,” complete with baseball game choreography! We brought down the house! And things got crazier from there…

BEST. WEDDING. EVER.

I couldn’t even bring myself to add his name to my list. I don’t like to judge (except for, you know, Thunder).

But regarding he-whose-name-I-won’t-type, I know evil when I see it.

I can’t even look at his picture without feeling revulsion.

So I picked Spanier as a pinch hitter.

82. Karen22 says:

OHHH YEAH!! (See my reply to your wedding query after your first post up top). And thanks for asking!

Great to hear. I know I was on an adrenaline “high” or something for at least 4 or 5 days after my daughter’s. Let us know if anything is going to appear on YouTube. :-)

84. Karen22 says:

There’s already stuff on YouTube!

+1 Drunken Hippo happy for you all. :)

Up above, I said I was very happy for you.

I can never remarry………………

last time I did that dastardly deed, the stage broke from all the Hippo weight. ;)

So, unless I get married on an aircraft carrier…… well, you know.

87. bizrow says:

No, thanks Roger

Midland is right across the Ohio from where I gaze at work every day

Nah, he was in charge of collecting the donations for Pirates Charities.
    When he saw how much $$$$ was collected, he hurt his back booing.

89. Karen22 says:

The only blot on last weekend was the Pirates losing two of three. Everything else…fantabulous!

90. robshelb says:

One trillion *mellion* dollars on Jordy Mercer as the regular season NL MVP. (I’m placing this one for mini-ME, and I’m not so sure he should be wagering that much. Oh well.)

And ANOTHER trillion *mellion* dollars on The Great Lambino as this years’ World Series MVP — after he hits three HR’s in Game Seven to wrap things up, conclusively.

okay, that’s done. Now all I have to do is figure out how I’m going to spend all my winnings. (And figure out what a Bad Gateway is and why it won’t let me into that ‘other’ Buccos baseball blog site . . )

~sigh~

Braves beat the Reds 5-2 today. Braves outfield was Reed Johnson, Jose Constanza, and Joey Terdoslavich. They went 7 for 11.

Shippingport?

93. bizrow says:

Yes sir, since 1976

Hence, your “nuclear nuggets.”

95. Keith says:

Locke was a lock.

96. robshelb says:

21,

Joey Terdoslavich ??

I don’t think that’s fair. There ought to be a Rule in baseball against using Bulgarian OF’ers.

Hurdle musta told all three to go win those outfield positions.

98. What would his nickname be?

Dejan

Of course, in Serbia it would be Terdoslavichacevic.

Of course.

And in Bulgaria, Thunder would be Terdcrack.

101. doc says:

Is it me, or did Tabata kind of jog after the ball on the run scoring play. It looked like he stopped, thinking it was a home run.

Every time I start to like Tabata, he does something like that.

DK: A right fielder at PNC is taught to stop in that situation. You don’t want the carom off the Clemente Wall to ricochet back behind you.

102. doc says:

I thought he WAS Turdcrack.

:-)

103. doc says:

502′d Rob?

I mean, it isn’t like you are PAYING for that

:-)

104. doc says:

Thanks Dk…. It just seemed, in light of prior history to be a problem. Glad I was wrong, as my wife would add… AGAIN

Hey. Watch your E’s and U’s.

106. The Gunner says:

Is the offense starting to awake??

107. pattonbb says:

Hello Clint Barmes.

108. The Gunner says:

they need to get some runs for AJ, – great bunt!!

109. Eric Bowser says:

I see a few blind squirrels are at PNC Park

110. The Gunner says:

here is an opportunity for my boy, Tabata

111. pattonbb says:

It was a great bunt considering the previous pitch was up around his head. Very nice job by AJ.

112. Eric Bowser says:

Pirates really need a RF with some power and a 1B who can hit…. amazing how well this team is playing without much production from those two positions.

113. twentytwo22 says:

Tabata has 82 RBI in 1,328 career plate appearances.

114. JD says:

Good info DK. I’ll try to remember that in future while watching games.

115. JD says:

Wow, that’s amazing. That’s in Joe Orsulak territory.

Career RISP of .282. 2 out RISP is .329.

117. The Gunner says:

Eric…………couldn’t agree more.

118. The Gunner says:

so what is your point, 22?

119. Brandie says:

I like you though. You make me smile.

120. Brandie says:

I just missed being called to sit on the jury by one day. It would have been a conflict of interest anyhow as my husband works for them. In fact, that’s how we met.

121. Eric Bowser says:

Justin Wilson is straight $$$

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Cutch!

123. pattonbb says:

Cutch!!!

That the total number of his career ribbies should be put in some perspective. Almost 1,200 of those 1,328 at bats have been batting leadoff or second and on team that has had issues getting on base.

125. Brandie says:

Hipposter! A Wooooooooooooooooo! from you must be a good thing.

126. cmat0829 says:

You know, Neal/Ray Searage can definitely build a bullpen out of scotch tape, speaker wire and spit, but don’t look now, we hae some young guns who are gonna be great back-end bullpen guys… Wilson and Morris both look very good and they are getting good experience in tight spots… and I think Reid and Welker both have very live arms as well. I hope Melancon and Grilli’s arms stay in tact and I think both are back next year contract-wise, but it’s nice to know we have something cooking for the post ‘Mark and Cheese” era.

127. Brandie says:

Awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!

128. Brandie says:

Pedro!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Brandie, it is. :)

130. Brandie says:

I have missed much of this game due to being at a family function. Good to see the pitching is making the opportunities to keep the Pirates in games.

I was looking forward to a non our announcers broadcast for a change.

But I’ve now been introduced to Billy Ripken.

Oh 22. I was thinking you were asking me!

133. The Gunner says:

FYI – Oruslak lasted 14 years in the majors

134. The Gunner says:

Yeah, Ripken sounds like he just rolled out of some local shot and beer place – he’s really bad.

Now we need to get some runs, folks!

135. Brandie says:

Strongly seconded.

136. cmat0829 says:

being on the fox “national” game is really kind of annoying. It is regional, not even national, so it ends up just blacking out the rest of us watching on Extra Innings and you end up with some 5th string announcer who usually doesn’t do games….

Yeah, thank God for our pitching.!!!

The runs or the booze ??

139. Brandie says:

Both. I could smell him from here!

140. Brandie says:

I am greedy though. I want pitching and hitting!

+ 80(proof). ;)

How can you have your pudding if you dont eat your meat?

143. Lad9 says:

Back in. These Fox guys should make you appreciate our local announcers a little more. Ripken calls a game worse than he played one, and he was not good.

144. Lad9 says:

Cutch in the clutch. Good to see!

145. twentytwo22 says:

I’d like them to find a run producing RF for the middle of the lineup, bat Walker second, and push Martin down to 7th. I think that’s a better lineup.

Maybe if we had a better hitting 1B I could stomache Tabata in there. Marte, Alvarez, and Jones are all pitchable, I think they could use another possibility for runs from a power spot.

146. Brandie says:

But I ate my meat. It’s time for Clint Barnes to eat some meat. That guy does not look like he could tear a piece of toast in half let alone hit a baseball.

147. Brandie says:

How can you make any sense when it seems your doing your job while you’re half in the liquor bottle? He has no right to rest on the Ripken name.

148. Brandie says:

Wooooooooing!

149. Brandie says:

MVP this game?

+1 for the Barmes description. :)

-1 for missing the Pink Floyd reference. :(

151. Lad9 says:

Absolutely!

152. Brandie says:

Oh no, I got the reference. I don’t need no education. I don’t need no thought control.

Misheard lyric…”The Dukes of Hazard are in the classroom” instead of “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”.

153. JD says:

I liked Orsulak, he just seemed to have 19 RBI’s a year.

Thank you for the chuckle.

+1 for the Dukes of Hazzard reference.
    + infinity for the Daisy Duke thought. ;)

Zimmerman found not guilty.

And………… no ball game because of a verdict in a trial.
    Anyone else suffering thru this??

Seems pretty important and significant. But the game wasn’t interrupted here.

158. Brandie says:

I like this Bucs on top thing. I will take the runs any way I can get em’.

Yes, it is important to those involved.

I have no game…………

Exactly. The entire country is involved.

161. Brandie says:

Listening on tablet…Sirius XM.

162. Lad9 says:

I really liked him too. He was not a middle of the order hitter though. Averaged 45 RBI per 162 games. But he rarely struck out and my memory tells me he could play some D and really throw.

163. JD says:

Good job by the jury.

164. Eric Bowser says:

’96 Yankees Wetteland/Rivera combined for 48 saves, 199 Ks, & 45 ER
    ’13 Pirates Grilli/Melancon have combined for 30 saves, 108 Ks & 13 ER

165. cmat0829 says:

I know the common wisdom on Pedro is that he is very very streaky and we just hope the good streaks get longer and the bad ones get shorter… but since June 1, Pedro seems to be either in a very long good streak or he is becoming consistently good…..

Since June 1:

.314 Average
    14 HRs
    33 RBI
    19 Runs
    13 BBs
    49 Ks

In July, he is hitting .325.

These stats prior to tonight’s game.

166. Lad9 says:

Yep. Mets bullpen not near as impressive as last except for Parnell obviously. Last night I was there and their middle relief guys were incredible.

167. Lad9 says:

Consistently taking what he is given, hitting the ball the other way when the pitch dictates it, swinging at fewer out of the zone. Very impressive.

Hyperbole much?

RAISE THE JOLLY HIPPO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

170. Lad9 says:

Raise it. Another nice win. This is soooooo much fun!!!!

171. Brandie says:

Orsulak was definitely scrappy, a lunch pail kind of player. Nothing fancy, just got the job done.

172. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

173. Brandie says:

Glad you could be there for the win. I was literally in Hippo’s backyard due to being detoured because of several car accidents.

174. Brandie says:

What baseball is supposed to be!

175. Brandie says:

I can be observant sometimes.

Just glad you didnt fall in the Pond. ;)

177. Brandie says:

Sweep the Mets tomorrow and the Pirates will equal the win totals from the 2010 season at 57!

179. pattonbb says:

DJ Gallo from espn just put this beauty on twitter –

“Looks like the Pirates are back in first place. This is their worst collapse ever.”

Might be the best thing I’ve read all day.

180. Eric Bowser says:

’96 Yankees Wetteland/Rivera combined for 48 saves, 199 Ks, & 45 ER
    ’13 Pirates Grilli/Melancon have combined for 31 saves, 109 Ks & 13 ER

’91 Reds Dibble/Myers/Charlton combined for 38 saves, 309 Ks, & 116 ER
    ’13 Pirates Grilli/Melancon/Wilson combined for 31 saves, 153 K & 24 ER

This Pirates bullpen is pitching way better than two of the best bullpens that I’ve seen.

181. Brandie says:

They will also tie the record for the most wins before the All Star Break as well.

182. Lad9 says:

+3 Mini-Muppet!

If the Cubs win, we are tied for 1st place again !!! :)

184. Brandie says:

LOL to infinity.

185. PIT-AKR says:

Nice win for the Buccos! Meanwhile, down on the farm, Tallion gave up 10 earned runs versus Akron tonight – ouch!

186. Brandie says:

BTW, my husband got a kick out of your description of me as 63 inches of dynamite.

187. Lad9 says:

Good stuff Eric and certainly agree. Thank you.

188. Tom P. says:

Grill I going through the top of the order in the ninth in 8 pitches is really impressive. For those of us who remember Mike Williams, there would have been one one and a full count on the second batter after 8 pitches.

189. Brandie says:

As my dad is fond of saying…Blow my mind like it was in a brown paper bag!

At this rate, we will go bankrupt paying for all the flagpoles I bend………

191. Brandie says:

Better pass the hat then…time for another auction. :-) Maybe we could get discounts with Groupon.

192. Lad9 says:

Chuckling. I have no doubt the description is accurate despite never meeting you except electronically. Have a very close friend who I think could be your twin excepting the great sports knowledge. Even down to the 63 inches!

Hippos cant be bought with Groupons……….

194. Jason81 says:

Ask, and ye shall receive!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!

196. Brandie says:

Guess I gotta save my change then.

Night Muppet.
    Thanks for the chuckles! :)

198. Brandie says:

Dang Hippo! I felt that and heard that all the way at my house.

199. Brandie says:

Gotta watch out for us small ones. We are feisty.

Night Muppet!

Thanks for the chuckles!

201. Brandie says:

Dream your sweet Hippo Dreams!

202. JRay3 says:

What a game…was right above dugout when Cutch got brushed back by Aardsma, he was than zeroed in chatting to his dugout saying ok he wants to play that game and next pitch a bomb.

Wilson is just electric, four pitches to retire Murphy who had no chance with two runners on. Melancon and Grilli turn it into seven inning baseball.

Took the bats a few innings but they finally got some things going last three times at the dish.

20 games above .500

Tied for first place in Central

Met Playoffs by 2012 and shared a drink.

Great night at PNC! Go Bucs!

Plan, if you think that case is only important to those involved, you haven’t paid attention.