Final: Marlins 2, Pirates 0

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (59-39) vs. Miami Marlins (37-61)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. RHP Henderson Alvarez

Time: 7:10 p.m.

Site: Marlins Park, Miami

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Garrett Jones, RF
  7. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  8. Jordy Mercer, SS
  9. Locke, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Travis Sawchik is swimming with the fishes.

Comments

1. Dom says:

Go Buccos!

Excellent lineup!

3. Playoffs by 2012 says:

TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE PLAY FRIDAY!!!

PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Line #1
    Total INNINGS PITCHED by the Pirates bullpen in tonight’s game
    Line is 2.25

Line #2
    Total HITS by Andrew McCutchen this weekend against the Marlins
    Line is 3.5

PICK ‘EM Line #3
    Total WINS by the PIRATES this weekend against the Marlins
    0 (TRIPLE ODDS)
    1 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    2 (EVEN ODDS)
    3 (EVEN ODDS)

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).

GOOD LUCK!!!

60 Down, only 22 more to go!!

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

4. AJS says:

really gabby against a righty? Snider in right and Jones at first HAS to be a better option than that doesn’t it? Even with Snider sucking at the plate he surely is hitting better than Gabby hits righties right?

Other wise that’s about the best line up Clint can field right now.

5. Dom says:

#1 50 OVER!!!
    #2 100 OVER!!!
    #3 50 ON 3 GAMES!!!

THANKS!!!

There are bad teams that lose and don’t play hard for all 27 outs.

There are bad teams that lose but play hard for all 27 outs.

The Marlins are the latter. And with those teams you better come to play or you leave town losing a series you should have won.

7. Dom says:

As I said in the Morning Java discussion, MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Marlins owner is not interested in dealing Stanton. The Buccos and Rangers have contacted them about him and the discusssion has obviously gone nowhere.

8. Playoffs by 2012 says:

What??!!??
    No J-Hay in the lineup tonight!!

We’ve been Hurdled!

Thanks Playoffs, great bets per usual

Line 1 – 100 nuggets on Under
    Line 2 – 100 nuggets on Over
    Line 3 – bring out the broom, can’t bet for a loss, though I think the right bet is 2 of 3, 100 nuke nuggets on 3 W’s

Beat Em Bucs

Go like 60 (The year of the Impossible Pirates)

JHay has spent his chips (hits) for a while ;-)

11. Playoffs by 2012 says:

…that was drip-drip-dripping with sarcasm

12. cmat0829 says:

Let’s go Bucs… and let’s go:

1. UNDER for 100.
    2. OVER for 100.
    3. 3 for 100.

I think Locke goes 7 strong… Cutch has to get 4 or more hits, doesn’t he?? And we have to go for the sweep, though I’d be happy with 2 of 3 against this team at this point..they play hard and are playing well.

13. Irish says:

#1 50 on under
    #2 50 on over
    Thanks, Playoffs!

Grilli saw team doctors and Dr. Andrews. Has a flexor strain and is not a surgical candidate. Will be reevaluated in 10-14 days. No throwing.

15. Tom P. says:

Does anybody have an opinion as to whether Pedro was out on the play that got CH tossed yesterday? During the game, I suggested it was a make up call for the missed tag the night before, but watching the replay, it seemed clear to me that Pedro did cross first base in the direction of second base before heading down the line. Now, umpires may not call the out all the time on that kind of play, but under the rule, this umpire seemed to make the right call.

16. blazer says:

I’ll take the over for line 1 and the over for line 2 please for 100 each.

17. Bill Born says:

Line1 over for 100

Line 2 over for 100

Line 3 1 win for 50

Please and Thank you.

I saw a quick look at it, and to me, there was no intentional movement towards second, but again, it was a quick glance

19. tomp says:

So i guess strain is better than tear correct?.

I imagine best case scenario is he returns in about 30 days, if he is going to come back at all.

My Pirates wish list at the trade deadline, in this order is ::::

1- Aoki
    2- Morales
    3- Adam Lind
    4- and 1 of the following, in no particular order , Michael Young, Jeff Keppinger, Placido Polanco.

NH can wait after the non waiver deadline to pick up a relief or starter, if he feels the need to.

Go work the phones NH!!!!.

Herr Playoffs:

Line Ein: 50/Over
    Line Zwei: 50/Over
    Line Drei: 50/One win

Danke, Herr Playoffs.

Thanks for the update, so a mid-September return would be very nice indeed.

22. tomp says:

that was a bull call, but Alvarez should know better.

23. Dom says:

I forgot about Aoki. I’ll take him.

I would love to have Morales too but seattle just won 9 out of their last 10 so maybe they wont be sellers after all.

24. cmat0829 says:

I think, and I emphasize think, the rule is if a player turns and makes a meaningful move toward 2nd, then he is in play and off the bag and if tagged, out. No doubt Pedro made a slight turn toward 2nd, to see where the ball was, but I think if the ump had ruled safe there, Nats wouldn’t have even argued. To me this was 80% no call, 20% out call, so ump should have went that way.

From Pittsburgh Sports report:

Jason Grilli has been diagnosed flexor strain in his right arm and will be re-evaluated in two weeks, though he is expected to miss between 4 and 8 weeks.

Hmmmmm.

Little league call by an Ump looking to make the show about him.

27. tomp says:

I am not a big fan of guys from the AL coming over, even though inter league has been forced down our throats.

I still think an adjustment period is needed to get comfortable facing pitchers and teams you are not used to.

That is why i adamantly say no to Rios, Ramirez, and Mor-No.
    Morales is a guy i am a little hesitant of, but i think he will require a package that the Pirates would not agree to.

28. cmat0829 says:

I think Grilli may, emphasize, may become the ‘bullpen addition’ the team needs down the stretch, which would be great news. I would not opppose NH picking up one reinforcement also, but if he doesn’t I won’t complain either.

29. tomp says:

big window between 1 month and the rest of the regular season.
    I guess we will just hope for the best, and hope he is getting the best medical treatment and advice.

Maybe he can use that guy A rod hired to say 2 to 3 weeks, so we can all feel optimistic .!

This hurts saying as someone who has both thought Snider turned the corner and criticized Hurdle for starting Gaby against righties, but I don’t have a problem with this move.

If nothing else, Gaby at least puts the ball in play more and draws walks.

31. cmat0829 says:

Aoki is a good player and would provide the leadoff hitter the Bucs need (and provide Marte insurance also), I just can’t visualize this actually happening without NH overpaying in my view.

Seattle is in ‘save my job’ mode and finishing .500 actually is a goal there, they want ‘major league ready’ players in return…now if they take Snider for Morales, sure, no brainer. But they won’t.

Lind? interesting. Jays really should be sellers and the very very very overrated GM up there likes to shake things up with trades; not sure another left hand hitter whos is streaky and strikes out a lot really does it for me, though. I wouldn’t mind Mark DeRosa of the Jays for your category 4 player though. And what about Rajai Davis as a sleeper possibility?

As to Young, et al… Keppy and Placido, yes,.. Young, um, please no. Too expensive and I don’t think he can play outfield…I could be wrong… Jamey Carroll (dont even know where he is now) is someone that fits that mold very well too.

32. JRay3 says:

About the best news you could expect and hope for. Just the fact he is going to avoid surgery is a huge win. If he is somehow able to help this team in September even a bigger bonus.

33. cmat0829 says:

well, beats what I thought/feared it would be, elbow surgery and gone through midseason next year…. I’d take a midSeptember return to boost the pen down the stretch…but for now, the Shark Tank belongs to Melancon.

34. AJS says:

Then it REALLY is time to find a right fielder. Like yesterday.

35. TJA says:

agree with you JRay…no surgery is big.

++++

37. Stickyweb says:

Not surprising. Stanton’s a building block for a franchise like Miami. Very good player who is so young he probably will get better over the next few years, which Miami controls and he currently makes very little money. If you trade him, you’re telling the fans to give up for the next few years. They see him and Ozuna anchoring the lineup and a solid pitching staff getting them back to respectability.

Placido Polanco on the other hand…

“strained flexor tendon”

Is that different than the Ulnar Collateral Ligament (UCL) that gets replaced during Tommy John surgery?

If so, this is huge, huge news. For this year, and even moreso next year.

I agree. I think more and more umpires are trying to create a personality about them. I thinks 24/7 sports news, dedicated baseball channels and especially social media are driving it. Umps know if they do something, then it goes out on twitter and everyone is talking about them. Hurdle should not have been tossed on the play, either. He went out to argue when the game had gone to commercial break.

Fame is a drug.

When I was young there were some colorful umps like Ron Luciano and Dutch Rennert so they have always been around. Except now, anything an ump does that is entertaining or controversial is instantly presented to the masses.

Sometimes it enriches a guy. I call it the Ed Hochuli Syndrome.

40. Dom says:

Sheesh. Not too many guys are available. This might be the worst trade deadline for buyers in decades.

Aoki might be one of the very few available.

But was it the correct call? I didn’t see it. Did Alvarez attempt to run towards second?

I am not a doctor, I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but I do know no surgery is a good thing.

But a word of caution, Wandy went out for a forearm too, supposedly for 15 days.
    He still isnt ready to come back.

At least his arm didnt fall off……………….

43. AJS says:

That’s a lot of pieces there. unless you are saying target 1 if you don’t get it target 2, etc.

I keep hearing some people bring up Polanco. Some people I have talked to think to get Polanco it would likely cost you Hanson. Are you OK with that?

If he made a slight turn, then it’s the right call. Umpire can use a lot of judgment on this one. Rulebook says “attempts to run to second.”

45. Nate83 says:

Line 1 – 100 on the under
    Line 2 – 100 on the over

Laz Diaz………………… worst ump in baseball today.

47. Ghost says:

I didn’t see it either. And I’ve been wondering the same thing as you.

48. AJS says:

That’s true but based on the fact he is having platelette replacement therapy that sounds to me like he had a partial tear of a ligament, a little more serious than a strain.

49. Ghost says:

Grilli should celebrate the good news about his forearm the way those wacky tight-ends from New England do.

50. Nate83 says:

Good point John. Luckily I think this Pirate team comes to play everyday. I have to imagine the last two years convinced them of the need to do that if they didn’t already know that.

51. cmat0829 says:

I beg to differ. Pedro both made a slight turn and made NO attempt to run to 2nd. So if that’s the rulebook wording, then he should be safe.

52. AJS says:

Just one more reason all of this social media garbage has got to stop. I know reporters love it as it gives them news the fastest way possible but sometimes I feel like we were all a lot better off when there were 4 TV channels, broadcast from local affiliates and there was no internet. I mean you actually had to pick up a phone…with a cord…and a rotor…to talk to people. Which means you really needed to have something meaningful to say to them or them to you. Imagine it!

53. Dom says:

Not me. However, I might be willing to part with him for a rental that is performing if nothing else was available. I really think we need to get someone here to be at corner outfield.

CB Bucknor. Angel Hernandez. Jerry Meals.

55. AJS says:

Worse than Jerry meals? That guy was involved in more bad calls two seasons ago than any ump in recent memory. Not to mention he has the most inconsistent strike zone I have ever seen…and that carried over to the Bucs game he called a couple weeks back as well.

56. Daquido_Bazzini says:

They wanted to make up for that phantom tag by Walker on Wednesday eve….And they did.

57. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Here’s to hoping that diagnosis is relatively accurate.

58. Brian says:

Gotta go with JayHay. No full time answer in RF. gotta go with the hot hand. What a shame.

59. Stickyweb says:

Yeah it figures when the Buccos finally need to add a piece or two, it’s a terrible trade market. Do we know Aoki is actually available? He’s got a very team friendly contract for next year and I’m not sure why the Brewers would send him in the division unless they were writing off next year or have a better option. Though I’d love to have him, I think there’s 0 chance we get him.

I had a bigger problem with the ump running Hurdle, 21.

61. Daquido_Bazzini says:

This Marlins weekend is the kind of series that scares me.
    Florida heat…The worst team in the NL…And a big series with the Cardinals right around the corner.
    They can’t afford to get lackadaisical this weekend……

62. AJS says:

I haven’t seen it and I don’t know the actual rule. I mean it sounds like people are saying that technically his first move past the bag was into fair territory in an attempt to look over his shoulder to see where the ball was. If that look also caused him to motion into fair territory then it becomes what does the letter of the rule say. If it is any move toward second then he was out. If it was any meaningful motion toward second it becomes a judgment call and at that point any umpire could interpret in any number of ways.

+ Many worries.

64. Stuart says:

Playoffs,

100 ounces of soylent green each on the over for lines 1 and 2.

I will leave line 3 alone because of roster uncertainty over the weekend.

Stuart

65. Stickyweb says:

No way you give up Hanson for Polanco. And no way the Marlins get anything close to that. He’s 38 years old, a 2 month rental and would just be a utility/bench guy for the Bucs. From the Marlins perspective, he either walks after the season or they get a middling prospect now for him. I’m not talking about giving up one of our top 30 or maybe even top 40 prospects.

66. Dom says:

Yeah, you’re right. He’s not even going to be a FA till 2018. 0% sounds right to me.

Someone said they heard that the Mets and Mariners need to be blown away by their deals. Therefore, Byrd, Morales, and Ibanez might not be available. Someone else said in this discussion that the Mariners GM might just want to get to .500 to save his job.

Meanwhile, Soriano is gone.

The Sox want an arm and a leg for Rios.

I know I am in the minority but I might just be very well willing to part with Polanco if that is what is required to get Rios and no other options are left.

67. cmat0829 says:

tendons and ligaments are two different things. Ligaments connect 2 bones together and tendons connect muscles to bone.

68. cmat0829 says:

They play in a dome, so temp at game time should be around 75 or so I’d think…. don’t disagree the series worries me, but it won’t be because of the heat.

69. cmat0829 says:

the diagnosis is a strain of the TENDON, doesn’t say anything about the LIGAMENT, so not sure where a tear of the ligament enters into this….

70. Stickyweb says:

Playoffs,
    The only way the bullpen throws more than 2 innings tonight is if it goes extra innings. I’ll take:

100 UNDER line 1
    100 OVER line 2
    100 on 2 wins (and hope for 3)

71. Dom says:

I apologize for harping this over and over today but does anyone have any idea what corner outfielder or 1B would be available this deadline. The more I have been looking at it, the fewer options seem to be on the table.

72. Dom says:

Also, it was reported that the Marlins are not willing to part with Stanton.

73. Daquido_Bazzini says:

True about the dome…..But having lived in Florida for quite a few years, it can wear you down in general.
    Hot, humid, wet….And 10 minutes after you take a shower…..You’d swear you hadn’t taken one in a couple days.

I am going to US Cellular on August for the White Sox game.

Anybody think I’ll see Tabby play or Taillon pitch ? :)

75. AJS says:

I was referring to Wandy not Grilli. And I may have got my ligaments and tendons mixed up. the replacement therapy is usually done to help a tear of some kind heal. It does not appear that there are any tears in the Grilli situation, though it didn’t sound that way at first about Wandy other. It is possible Wandy reinjured it during his rehab ina manner worse than the original injury.

*August 7

77. Lad9 says:

Awesome lines Playoffs!

Line 1 – under
    Line 2 – over
    Line 3 – 3 wins

All for 100 sand dollars

Thank you – Go Buccos!!!

NMR:

I apologize for mischaracterizing your Aoki trade proposal on the other thread. I was taking a quick look at the blog over lunch, and I had to interview someone about 5 minutes later. So, I quickly responded. Never a good thing.

Having said that, I think giving up any one of our #3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 prospects, then 2 others between #11-30 (not sure if that means our choice or Milwaukee’s), is still a bit much for Aoki. I think he is a good player, and would be a great leadoff guy that can play against RHP/LHP. I really like the guy. But, I just think that’s too much.

That would mean either Glasnow, Meadows, McGuire or Hansen, most likely. Then, 2 more really good prospects. These are not the Milwaukee Brewers’ prospects. They are Pirates prospects, and there are guys in our #11-20 that fit in other teams’ Top 10 easily. Now, if it is Heredia and 1 more from #25-30, I’d think about that. I have already said I’d give up Heredia for Aoki straight up.

I also realize it may take a crazy amount of talent to get a guy like him. I just wouldn’t do it.

79. Ghost says:

All I can find in the rules is the following, not so helpful, wording:
    “A batter-runner cannot be tagged out after overrunning or oversliding first base if he returns immediately to the base.” Rule 7.08(c)

80. AJS says:

I doubt you will see Taillon pitch. Don’t think Neal will do any deal that includes him. Though he is not having such a great year at Altoona last I looked. That could be because they are having him work on some things he is not that great at yet like developing a new pitch or something along those lines. Really sounds like he is at least two more years away.

Bucknor is awful as well, Plan. How about Angel Hernandez? A few candidates out there.

82. Dom says:

Aoki is under contract till 2018 and not even arbitration eligible till 2015, I believe. Would you feel the Brewers would be willing to part with him?

Aoki has an out clause in his contract that allows him to elect free agency once he’s arbitration eligible, which is after next season.

And Doug Melvin has already said his team is rebuilding in the next few years and that Braun, Segura, and Gomez are the only untouchables.

84. cmat0829 says:

Seattle is a different story, GM is fighting for .500 to save his job…but if Sandy Alderson doesn’t trade Marlon Byrd at the deadlline for WHATEVER he can get, then he should be fired for incompetence.

GMS always say they need to win the deal and be ‘blown away’ to trade someone… then it comes down to 5 mins to deadline and it’s like Garage Sale Saturday AM all of a sudden…”what, will I take $1 for the broken ashtray?”…um, sure, why not…and take a few 8tracks if you want, just go through that basket.”

And, please, for the love of God or whomever you worship, no Polanco in any trade that doesn’t involve Giancarlo Stanton. Thanks.

Oops, I said the same thing w/o reading your’s first, Osh.

86. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Placido Polanco?

Who are these people you’re talking to? I wanna try what they’re on.

88. Ghost says:

I know I’m becoming a broken record, but… the Dodgers, Tigers, and as I’ve been mentioning, the Angels all have had pitching issues this season. In addition to considering the likely suspects to be sellers, don’t overlook ‘buyers’ who also may covet what we have.

After seeing the replay, it sure didn’t look like he attempted to run towards second. The slight turn you’re referring to I think was before he even hit first base.

Anybody know many seconds in an “immediately?”

91. AJS says:

He did also so no one over single A from the 11-30 list. That makes it easier to replace them in the next draft since they are so far away anyway. Not trying to devalue your opinion as you make some very good points, but I think the no one above single A part of what he said is very important.

but to get Aoki the starting point is definitely a Hansen or Glasnow.

What did Hurdle say to the ump John?

I thought right away that a month was the best case scenario. I think it is going to be near the end of the season before we get him back. I hope he can help in Oct.

94. AJS says:

Ya I am not sure how Aoki even really got brought into this conversation. But part of the reason he would cost so much is in fact because they would control him for 3 more years.

Beautiful.

You’re my medical man from now on, CMAT!

96. cmat0829 says:

oh sorry , misread your post…sorry for the anatomy lesson. Interesting tidbit but back in 2010, Strasburg was initially diagnoes with a ‘strained flexor tendon’ and that turned into torn UCL. Not saying this is the case with Grilli but Rizzo was smoke-screening then and maybe NH is doing so now?? I hope not, and pray not.

Reading up on the flexor tendon, it makes sense… these go from the elbow to the fingers and are what allows you to move your fingers.. Jason was constantly moving his fingers, trying to get them loose, as he was pitching and then finally the pain became too much to continue. This seems to make sense…as well as Dr. Andrews assesemnt, so we hope for the best!

97. AJS says:

It just doesn’t seem like contenders hook up with each other very often. I mean I am sure it happens, but no one wants to make another team they may see down the line any better.

Oh well, just throw him a batch of the platelet stuff, anyway. What can it hurt?

Ain’t no thing but a chicken wing, Jim!

I do it all the time. No apologies needed!

Ghost, you needed to continue on on that same paragraph:

If he attempts to run to second he is out when tagged.”

101. cmat0829 says:

that’s why I live in Phoenix, the dry heat is key, baby! 106 today and I would have no problem playing a round of golf in the afternoon. Contrast that to a round I played in Tampa area, temp was around 90 but by the second tee I was totally drenched from head to toe and could hardly finish the round.

It was not, and he did not.

Think about who was running. Takes a lot to get the big bull to change direction. If what Pedro did was an attempt to get to second base, then his trajectory would’ve taken him half way into right field on the way there.

I sure hope you don’t see Taillon pitching.

Boy it’ll tell ya. That’s tough. He did turn just a little but after passing first. That one could go either way, IMO.

105. cmat0829 says:

Angels shouldn’t be buyers unless they are truly delusional. They should sell as much as they can, fire Scoscia to put him out of his misery, then figure out what Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton can do around the Big A to earn some of the riduculous salary they will consume the next 20 years. Maybe they can paint the facade? Groundskeeping? Fireworks handlers?

I don’t know, for sure. He went out there though as the game was going to commercial break. But he was tossed just as the telecast went to commercial. I don’t think he gave Clint nearly enough time to vent. Had Clint still been out there when the game returned from break (what, 60 seconds?), then sure, ring him up. Otherwise, let him vent with no one (other than the crowd present) watching.

But, honestly, I don’t know what he said or if he had been jawing at him all afternoon.

107. Dom says:

If that’s the case then I would deal Hanson for Aoki, if nothing else was available.

108. Ghost says:

If the game goes 17 innings you might see Tabby pitch.

Technically you’re correct, but he also has the same out clause in his contract as most of these Japanese guys that allows them to elect free agency once they reach arbitration.

110. cmat0829 says:

I think it’s a good thought…. turn over the unexpected rocks and see what can happen… Beyond the obvious sellers, Toronto probably would deal; Yankees if they had anything we wanted; Rays always are creative; Indians possibly?

I haven’t studied all the rosters but I do think NH has likely called anyone and everyone around the league…

111. BostonsCommon says:

Young may or may not be able to play outfield (I can’t see him being any worse defensively than Tabata and Snider if you really wanted to put him out there against lefties), but he can definitely platoon with Walker at 2nd, or give Pedro a day off at 3rd. The bench also gets upgraded, as one of those three becomes the best PH on the team immediately.

There’s no commitment after this season. He’s got a $16M dollar contract, with the Rangers picking up $10. That means over the last two months of the season this guy is going to cost about $2M. I would grab him in a heartbeat if the Phillies want to move him.

Completely disagree with that analysis.

Anyways, check out the replay. I’d say it could go either way. And the rule isn’t, “attempt to get to second base.”

I think they might part with him if they got our #3, #11 & #12. NMR didn’t specify who would get to choose the ones between #11 – 30.

He’s a nice player. He’s actually a guy I like. But, is he that good?

I guess it comes down to whether you think of the guys in the minors as prospects or suspects. As Pirates fans, we have been trained to think these guys are all long shots. Rays fans (both of them!) and Cards fans (millions of them) don’t look at prospects that way. My take is we should not, either. I think we have quite the collection of talent in the minors now, and it is there for our roster someday – not Milwaukee’s. We have to think that way given our market size. Just my opinion.

114. Dom says:

I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks for the info.

115. Dom says:

I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks for the info.

116. Ghost says:

Speaking of Pujols, being mischievous here, but it does kind of make me wonder if the rumor-that-wouldn’t-die about his age might just be true.

AJS,
    Yeah, you’re right. Though I’m not sure why buyers don’t compare notes and find that they can help each other more often.

117. Bob Hasis says:

In my always impartial opinion, I believe Pedro made no attempt to go to second. Having said that, what could have entered his mind to even think it, or cause him to look at second?
    If I’m the coach, I’m YELLING stay here, stay here, and I suppose I hope that Pedro understands

Well, here we are. It’s Opening Day. Game #101. This is precisely the point the last 2 seasons when the wheels fell off. 19 wins from this point on in 2011 & 21 from this point on in 2012. Nary a 3 game winning streak.

They go into tonight with a sparkling 60-40 record, 2 games better than last year (58-42). And just like last year & the one before it, it won’t mean a thing unless they make it so over the final 62 games. It’s all on them, there are no more excuses.

I love Opening Day.

119. radio wave says:

Playoffs: that first line is a tough call. I’m going to put 50 on the under. For lying to 100 on the over. For line 3 I’ll take 75 on two wins.

No problem at all, Jim. I certainly can’t say I’ve never done the same.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion on Aoki’s value, but if I may present a comparison…

Three leadoff hitting outfielders from last season:

.274/.348/.391 10%BB/22%K 42 SB
    .283/.342/.395 8%BB/11%K 17 SB
    .288/.355/.433 7%BB/9%K 30 SB

Can you pick out Aoki from the list?

The other two players are Michael Bourn and Denard Span.

121. Ghost says:

Well, here’s looking forward to DK having another wild late-night like he did at the deadline in 2008. Or 2009. Only this time, his flurry of updates will have us popping champagne corks, not wailing on YouTube:

Slice him open. Count his rings. Only way to know for sure.

Too bad it isn’t the home opener, Milo. I always loved getting to leave school before lunch for that.

124. cmat0829 says:

great way to look at it… no doubt the 2011 Pirates collapsed, but that team was really not the same caliber as 2012/2013. So I will only really think about last year’s collapse and compare to what we do this year. I don’t think it’s happening this year, but what the hell do I know.

I just shake my head at that 3 game winning streak stat. Wow.

126. cmat0829 says:

If you wait a while, he will fall apart like slow-cooked brisket, no need to slice him open.

I would guess Aoki had the highest batting avg. (.288) and Bourne was the guy with the most steals.

If you assume the Brewers would take the top two ranked prospect from 11-20, NOT ABOVE A BALL, then they would get Dilson Herrera and Wyatt Matheson according to MLB.com or Barrett Barnes and Stetson Allie according to Pirates Prospects.

Think about those players.

Are they even the best prospects we have at their positions? Are they even close?

If we can’t use guys of their caliber as trade bait, then I honestly don’t know why one would even bother paying attention to the trade deadline.

129. T.S. says:

Interesting that Joel Sherman tweeted that the Pirates (and Rangers) are asking about Stanton. So let’s play the what if game. Considering NO prospect is ever a sure thing… if Miami said they’d give the Pirates Stanton straight up for Taillon, would you make that trade? I would. Remember, this is strictly a what if, hypothetical scenario. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dude, this is what you just wrote:

“If he attempts to run to second ”

How is that not exactly what I said?

Got it.

Still think Aoki isn’t valuable?

133. Stickyweb says:

Amen cmat. We only add a Polanco, we don’t subtract one. Unless it’s for Stanton, Miguel Cabrera, Kershaw, well you get the picture.

And you’re right about the garage sale, only it’s not AM, it’s more like 2:45 in the afternoon, the sale goes til 3 and the lady really doesn’t want to have to pack any of the stuff up again.

134. Stickyweb says:

Good info NMR. To quote Lloyd Christmas, “So you’re saying there’s a chance!” It might even be better than a million to one.

Before they finished the sentence.

136. Ghost says:

I’d pass. I do happen do be in the camp that “prospects” don’t mean much until they’ve proven it on the big-league stage. And maybe we’ll look back and say, “Taillon never turned out to be what we thought he was. We should have traded him back when he had such a ceiling.” But as long as we still have high hopes for him being the next Gerrit Cole, I think he stays off the “touchable” list. As DK wrote about a month ago, guys like Cole and Taillon may well be worth up to $150 mil in replacement value on the open FA market. A low-budget team like us needs to win these bets with its own in-house talent.

137. BostonsCommon says:

“All these older vets that are 2 month rentals and having decent seasons but don;t figure into long term plans, the GMs just need to get what they can and reload next year.”

… Michael Young please !!

138. Dom says:

That would still be a lot but it also would be a done deal in my book.

Bro, if you’re saying an attempt to get to second is the same as an attempt to run to second, then it’s the same.

140. cmat0829 says:

The other team to model against is the Braves… even though Hudson is out, they have no intention of trading top prospects for available starting pitchers… and they are most likely “OUT” of the Bud Norris sweepstakes (really? is that really happening??) because he has “no big game experience”.

Recall last year, the Braves trades were more minor, Pauly Maholm and Reed Johnson…. not a bad model to follow.

Last year on July 31, 2012, the A’s record was 56-47 and they were in third place in the AL West, 3.5 games behind Texas. The only move the great Billy Beane made at the trade deadline was trading RHP Fautino De Los Santos to the Brewers for C George Kottaras.

The Athletics have the best record in baseball since that date.

142. cmat0829 says:

you know, it’s really not a no-brainer either way. By all accounts, Polanco has the goods to be the RF in Pittsburgh by 2015. If Marte does what he seems to be capable of, Bucs outfield is pretty much set. Stanton would def. bring value this year and next, but we’d be letting him walk at some point in FA…

The Bucs if nothing else have pitching depth. The emergence of Jeff Locke really is key to being able to get your head around trading Taillon for an impact bat. Cole/Locke are around for a while.. and this regime has proven they can acquire pitching within budget and succeed….not so much on the offense side.

143. cmat0829 says:

Kottaras was the missing piece, obviously… :)

144. Ghost says:

21,
    I finally found what you referred to regarding the MLB’s baserunning rule. You are correct. In my own defense, I was citing the wording in part C; you were citing part J, about 1000 words past the part I found. I wasn’t omitting anything (certainly not intentionally), of course, not that I take it that you are implying that. But just wanted to state that I only could find part C, which was less complete than your part J.

145. cmat0829 says:

He is very valuable, including to the Brewers. Melvin will have to ‘win the trade’ as there is no other reason (salary, players blocked, etc.) to make the trade from the Brewers perspective. So that means NH has to overpay to get Aoki? Is it worth it? This is a classic now means more than tomorrow type of move. I lean slightly to NO, on making a lopsided trade just to have Aoki this year and next… but I won’t argue too hard.

146. Ghost says:

All good points.

Of course.

Hahaha, excellent reference!

Obviously.

150. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may I have
    100 on the OVER for line #1
    100 on the UNDER for line #2
    50 on 2 Wins for Line #3

Well he sure as heck wasn’t riding a bike.

152. Stickyweb says:

I lived in Tampa for 4 years . In the summer I swear every day they said it was 91 or 92, never changed, and like you said, you sweat gallons just standing outside. Hated those weather guys.

I think this year’s team is so much better than even last year’s team. Think of all the upgrades – Locke, Cole, Liriano, Melancon, Wilson, Morris, full year of Marte, Jordy, Inge. Ok, I was kidding about the last part.

The Yankees are considering discipline for Grilli for seeking 2nd opinion..

It doesnt matter what we think, and I dont say that with any bad thoughts.

NH doesnt want to take on the salary Stanton would command in arbitration.

So, while I would trade Taillon for Stanton, I dont see it happening.

cmat,

I love the “take a few 8 tracks if you want, just go through that basket” line.

No other reason?

If the Brewers don’t plan on contending next year, which they don’t, then Aoki leaves for free agency after the season and they have nothing but a couple more wins tacked onto a losing season to show for it.

If Melvin plans to rebuild, at some point he’s gotta think like a rebuilder.

159. Ghost says:

Yeah, that was incredible to me. I’m no fan of A-Rod, and I comprehend that these issues are painstakingly ironed out in the MLB labor agreements, but it still rubs me the wrong way that a person is prohibited from seeking out a medical second opinion.

I think Young would help off the bench.

Placido Polanco could help this team. But, I don’t think he’d cost that much.

I was watching this show, “Lead Off”, last night. It’s a sports discussion show with Doug Gotlieb and some incredibly cute girl, Allie Laforce. I had never heard of it, or seen it before. Anyhoo, Doug Gotlieb said something kinda funny. He said you never see someone go for a second opinion when it is good news. “Sir, you don’t have cancer.” “OK, but I’m getting a second opinion.”

163. Jason81 says:

Line #1–100 on the UNDER

Line #2–100 on the OVER

LIne #3–100 on 2 WINS

De Los Santos was an overpay.

165. Ghost says:

“It doesnt matter what (the fans) think.”
    That has always been their MO, after all. :)

166. Bob Hasis says:

The St Louis Cardinals received Lou Brock OF plus two others, and gave up Ernie Broglio P and two others – in essence Brock for Broglio.

The Cincinnati Reds traded Frank Robinson OF to Baltimore for Milt Pappas P and two others Jack Baldschun and Dick Simpson – in essence Robinson for Pappas.

In both cases the team receiving the outfielder got the better of it – BY FAR!

Aside from the fact the outfielders are Hall of Famers, they played every day, the pitchers pitched every fifth day.

On this basis alone I’d trade Taillon P for Stanton OF, plus considering Stanton is a Major League commodity now and Taillon is still far away.

167. Joey Mellons says:

Line one 100 on the under.
    Line two 100 on the over.
    Line three 100 on winning three games.
    Lets go bucs.

He got lit up really badly about 2 starts ago, AJS. Something like 10 runs in 3 innings. Other than that, he’s been pretty good.

169. scapper says:

Not sure if anyone on this blog has mentioned this (don’t check in as often as I used to), but “Knuckleball” on Showtime is a fantastic documentary. You’re granted access to the baseball and personal lives of Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey. Also includes interviews with knuckleballers Wilbur Wood, Jim Bouton, Phil Niekro (GREAT little story about the day the scout came to his house to sign him), Charlie Hough. Good stuff from managers Terry Francona and Jim Leyland. Well worth any baseball fan’s time.

Not sure if it’s on OnDemand or not, but just thought I’d give it a big two knuckles up.

Yup. I’d give up more if we had him for 3+.

171. Stickyweb says:

I’m pretty sure you violate just about every rule of writing by putting “Bud Norris” and “sweepstakes” in the same sentence. At this rate the only player not to get his own sweepstakes is Jonathan Sanchez. And maybe Ronny Cedeno.

172. Ghost says:

By the way Plan, I would think Miami in July is right up your hippo-ness. Are you ready to do some flagpole climbing/bending?

How were those Cards fans thinking when Mozeliak traded for Matt Holiday, Jim?

What about when he traded for Edwin Jackson?

You talk like the Cards never make big in season moves. Thats flat-out wrong.

I’m off my game, NMR. I also missed the “not above A ball” part.

Bad day for me. (Shakes head in shame and endeavors to do better tomorrow).

Your proposal is not all that far from what I would give up for Aoki. Maybe a little more, but not a lot.

Go Bucs in Miami!

175. JRay3 says:

Line 1 – 75 on the UNDER

Line 2 – 100 onthe OVER

Line 3 – 50 on 2 wins

Thanks an Let’s Go Bucs!

176. pattonbb says:

Line 1 – 100 OVER
    Line 2 – 100 OVER
    Line 3 – 100 on 2 wins

177. Stickyweb says:

I think Polanco’s in the Burgh as soon as the Super Two deadline passes next year. Mid-June.

178. Ghost says:

Bob the Rebuilder

179. pattonbb says:

Placido Polanco doesn’t fit on any hand.

I didn’t say they never make big in-season trades. I meant they do not view their top prospects as all long shots. I think some Pirates fans do that because our history is that our prospects do not come through like theirs do. All I am saying is we are assembling a nice system now, and I think we should think like them going forward.

Aoki is not Matt Holiday. Edwin Jackson fooled them, as he did a lot of people a few years back.

I don’t think the Cards are infallible. I just think we need to adopt their mindset.

Was it Jockety that traded for Holliday? I honestly don’t know, but I thought he might have still been there. Either way, no biggie.

The Braves sent the Cubs pitching prospect Aroidyz Viscaino plus another prospect in the Maholm/Johnson deal.

Viscaino entered the 2012 season as the 40th best prospect in all of baseball according to BA.

Thats higher than Tyler Glasnow has ever been ranked by any publication.

182. Ghost says:

Whoopsie! Bob’s the one in Oakland.

183. pattonbb says:

I agree, but don’t think Micheal Young is getting dealt.

184. Stickyweb says:

BC, I’ve always liked Michael Young, I’d happily take him, but we’d still need an OF

Ha! Please, Jim.

You’ve done nothing but encourage conversation, something I thoroughly enjoy doing with you.

186. pattonbb says:

Absolutely not. I wouldn’t trade anything for Polanco.

187. Stickyweb says:

21, are you Bill Clinton’s lawyer?

188. pattonbb says:

Absolutely agree. He’s an older and slower Tabata. I’ll take Lambo and Presley over him. Maybe even J Hay.

Oh boy, I really hope I didn’t give you the “suspect” impression. I meant quite the opposite.

The only reason I would be fine giving up those prospects is because I finally believe the Pirates have built redundancy of legit prospects within their system. Similar, although unfortunately not on par with those same Cardinals we all want to emulate. The Bucs have multiple pitchers, outfielders, infielders, and catchers that offer similar hope as the ones I’ve suggested dealing.

And fwiw, I made sure to include only Mozeliak trades.

190. kr70 says:

#1 100 on the over
    # 2 100 on the over
    #3 nothing
    Thanks

Haha, I still want to use that nickname, regardless.

192. pattonbb says:

That’s MISTER Grilli, Milo.

Did you see the Cashman statement with all of the “Mr. Rodriguez” references?

Sticky,

Are you OJ’s?

194. cherokee23 says:

100……over, over, 3

He’s not prohibited. He just has to follow the CBA which the dummy didn’t do.

No, I will be too drunk on South Beach with the ladies……….. ;)

By the way, I’m not responsible for anything I say here because it’s not a column.

I am going to go get a second opinion on that, Milo.

200. bizrow says:

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach
    France – Strasbourg
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE – added 5/21
    Oregon – Roseburg
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*

379 confirmed locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Blier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    First Responders***
    22 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    7/26/2013 6:13 PM

201. stickyweb says:

HA, yeah. If it doesn’t fit, you must acqui…re Marlon Byrd. Sure it doesn’t rhyme, but nobody can do it like Johnny Cochran

202. stickyweb says:

Two batches. If one is good, two are better. And throw one in his left arm too…we’re in a pennant race for God’s sake.

203. Pucknutz says:

Real sneaky with that 2.25 for line 1. LOL I really hada think and that really hurts my head.
    1. 100 over
    2. 100 over
    3. 100 – 2

204. stickyweb says:

And they lost in the Wild Card game. Sure they still have Maholm, but they don’t have a top pitching prospect.

205. Brandie says:

Mr. Playoffs,

May I have 50 on lines 1 and 2? On line three, I would like 50 on 2 wins as well.

Thanks in advance.

206. stickyweb says:

NMR, agree about our multiple prospects at OF, P & C. Disagree we have any depth at IF.

207. TJ says:

Evening all…. sorry I haven’t been around in a while I was away on business in beautiful Ft Lauderdale this past week. Actually stayed at the same hotel that the Miami Dolphins were using for many of their players during training camp. Saw Pouncey as he was getting off the elevator… wearing a “Free Braun” hat.

Ok now on to a serious thought…. I’m sure one of you lunatics probably brought this up already but I’ll throw it out just for kicks and giggles anyway.

Things have been really really quiet concerning the Pirates and the trade deadline as of late. That being said the Pirates as many have already pointed out have the BIGGEST series in the HISTORY of PNC park and the BIGGEST series in the past 20 YEARS next week against the Cardinals.

What better time to pull the trigger on a surprise trade and have that player in the lineup for that 5 game series? Why wait till the trade deadline and the series is half over. Get the player or players you want and get them in the lineup come Monday.

Talk about a shot in the arm if they actually got someone the team knew would help them going into that series and coming off the news of Grilli being out for up to 2 months…

The only reason I bring up how quiet it has been concerning the Pirates and trades is that last year the Wandy deal came out of no where I believe a week before the deadline. Maybe NH is working another deal… To me; this is the time to make that deal!!!

208. BDHumbert says:

Great bets – but 1 and 3 scare me…

So 100 on 2 on the over – Cutch is smokin!

It is Lambo time – another HR last night!

209. BDHumbert says:

Lambo in right and Jones on first would be a whole lot better!

The reasons it is so quiet are :

Worst deadline for buyers in over 30 years,
    teams are willing to see if they stay in contention for the WC spot (which most wont)
    sellers asking sun, moon and stars knowing it is to their favor,
    teams like Pirates unwilling to pay their prices.

I am expecting to be underwhelmed by NH this year.
    I know we have decent prospects, and I think Nh is going to hold onto them at all costs.
    Besides, players that might be available, like a Stanton, are too costly.

Besides, NH needs his sllep. ;)

211. TJ says:

scrapper; man did that bring back memories seeing Wakefield on the mound for the Pirates against the Braves. Would have been the series MVP if not for Barry Bonds and his “I need to take steroids because I can’t throw out Sid Bream” moment.

Great great documentary. Found it really interesting how Dickey was drafted by the Rangers in the first round and was offered like 800k to sign; but before he signed they put him through a specific test on his elbow all because they noticed how he positioned his arm for a photo shoot for the cover of a magazine. Only to be told after the exam he’s missing a ligament and shouldn’t be able to do a simple thing like turn a door knob. Could have taken the 1 million in insurance money but would have never been allowed to pitch again but never gave up. That guy earned some major respect.

212. TJ says:

Don’t think I could disagree more. We’ve already seen trades made….

Garza
    Feldman
    Rodriguez
    Soriano

Don’t see how the deadline is any different than the last 2 years.

213. bman says:

@playoffs

Line 1: 50 on the UNDER
    Line 2: 75 on the OVER

214. Frankie says:

Line 1 100 under

Line 2 100 over

Line 3 100 on 3

Oh, I didnt say no deals were made.

just look at the GM’s talking, go to mlbtraderumors.com, listen to the “gab shows”.

Very few teams in sell-off mode this year. That is mostly because the 2nd WC has given teams false hope. In previous years, teams dumped players…….. but not this year. Combine that with the fact that NH just loves his prospects, and the high cost of acquiring players, I see a snoozer of a deadline.

Besides, the four players you mentioned, arent exactly world-beaters. I would classify those as minor deals.

Milo:

I thought I would let you know that Aaron Rodgers made some classy and meaningful comments about Braun today at camp.

217. BDHumbert says:

Well I would trade Taillon for Stanton in a hearbeat – but we are wasting our time even talking about it because the Marlins would NEVER even think about this – it will take a LOT more – Tailon, Heredia and Polanco to start…

218. BDHumbert says:

Hmmm,

Just not sure Aaron Rodgers and “Classy” belong in the same sentence.

I is the picture next to A#$#ole in my dictionary…

Sorry, that wasn’t mean as a reply.

Hahaha! Good one! I have to say I was surprised given his history.

Thanks John, I did see that on Sportscenter. But I won’t be happy until he writes the guy he bet on Twitter the $4.5 million check.

I saw that video on ESPN………..

I think he said those things to save his ass.
    After all, he has a restaurant to save, lol.

Add that to the comments Jennings made about Rodgers, and I just have a hard time believing him at all.

+ many.
    Did anyone have the ba**s to ask him about that today??

225. Chico says:

@playoffs:

Line 1: 100 on the over

Line 2: 100 on the over

Line 3: 50 on 2 wins

Thanks!

Mr. Playoffs,

may I have the following?

Line 1 — 100 UNDER.
    Line 2 — 100 OVER.
    Line 3 — 100 2 wins.

The Hippos of the world thank you. ;)

227. OZ says:

Line 1: 100 over
    Line 2: 100 over
    Line 3: 100 on 2 wins

228. scapper says:

Stunning stuff, indeed. Made me like him even more after hearing that story.

Another thing I loved about it was that it reaffirmed one of my pet peeves regarding sports fans. They played the radio talk show comments where Bosox fans were ripping Wakefield and saying it was time to get rid of him because he basically sucked. Okay, fair enough. But these same fans will play the jilted lover and scream about disloyalty when a guy in his prime leaves a city for more money.

It’s the typical fan double standard. Once a player is no longer deemed valuable, kick his a** out and good riddance. But let a guy leave one city for another? The teeth start to gnashing and the bile starts to flowing because that scumbag is a disloyal, money-hungry mercenary! How dare he! He should have loyalty to this team, this city, we fans…until he’s no longer productive, at which time I can call some radio show and explain why his useless, washed up a** should be sent packing.

I don’t know. Oshkosh would probably have a better idea of how he’s dealt with by the media there. I’m not sure if they’re afraid to ruffle feathers.

Hey, the Pirates are wearing their throwback road gray uniforms tonight. I loved it when they used to wear those.

Marlins Park.

Loria is so hated, no one wants their name associated with that club.

232. Keith says:

1. 100 on the OVER.
    2. 100 on the OVER.
    3. 100 on 3 wins.

Thanks! Update?

233. Keith says:

Hey, everyone – I’ve been trying to find out what’s up with the Pirates’ cool black and gold necklaces (Cutch, Alvarez, Locke, etc.). Anyone have any info?

234. Reading says:

Great start. Firing on all cylinders.

235. stickyweb says:

When exactly were they complaining about Wakefield…after he gave them 10 or 12 solid years?

236. Keith says:

Oh. Yep. They look ‘way cooler on TV.

237. Keith says:

Thanks, BTW.

And less expensive.

239. Keith says:

That, too. I was liking my made-up thought that Cutch was handing these out to guys like Stargell Stars.

240. Keith says:

I see what you did there.

241. Keith says:

But, seriously, that leads me to think about next year’s new logo announcement. I think there will be:
    1. A throwback home uni – you know, like the ones they wear at home every other day?
    2. A black, single-letter road uni – you know, like the ones they wear on the road every other day?
    3. A mustard cap to alternate with the black one. The new scheme will be more mustardy (mustardy?).

I think I’ll go with that too.

243. JRay3 says:

Since July 6th Jones is 8-45 .177 with just 2 RBI’s. Boy he was not kidding when he self admitted he needs to pick it up.

244. Brandie says:

Milo,

You are as witty original. :-)

245. BDHumbert says:

And from all that I have read Wakefield was big in the community and a class act. One of my favorite Pirates of all time – I know he blew up and had to go – but I was sad when that happened – and very happy when he turned in some nice year for the Bosox…

246. Brandie says:

Dang. Great play at home plate!

247. JRay3 says:

Great relay…Marte strong throw to Mercer who fires a strike to Martin and nabs runner by three feet to keep it scoreless.

That is one area the Bucs have been much improved in, relays from outfield.

Speaking of great…………… Hi Brandie!

Doesnt hurt Marte has a cannon. :)

250. Keith says:

Don’t know you, Milo, but, as a 45-year-old who grew up in Western PA until we moved in … wait for it … the summer of 1979 (sheesh!), I, too, think of Milo Hamilton as the voice of the Pirates. I can’t believe when I read how long he was really there, and with how much hatred his installment was met.

251. pattonbb says:

….or that Martin can hold on to the ball.

252. Awesome play by Marte, Walker, and Martin to preserve the tie game at 0-0!

253. BDHumbert says:

Marte web gem?

or that Greg Brown had a heart attack calling it. ;)

255. Brandie says:

Hey Planimal!

Root needs to see about getting more Penguins games on Sunday Night Classics.

Good to see you tonight.
    Didnt get a chance to respond to you this morning, my fan club, lol.

Bucs need to pick up the bats, soon.

Brian Wilson apparently just seen at the Pittsburgh airport.

The pitcher Brian Wilson.

I was going to say I was hoping for the crazy Brian Wilson but I guess that covers both.

260. Brandie says:

They need to get to bashing…hopefully not each other.

If they dont get hitting soon, I am ging to unleash a Hippopocalypse on them. ;)

262. Keith says:

Hearing “Surfer Girl” as he walks in from the bullpen wouldn’t exactly rev up the crowd…

263. Dave G says:

Just tuned in.

Immediately noticed that the Marlins forced the Bucs to wear away gray unis by wearing their own home blacks.

Guess I’m just used to seeing the Pirates in black on the road.

264. Keith says:

Check up the thread a ways for some scintillating thoughts about same.

265. JRay3 says:

Does not appear that the Bucs offense made the flight from DC to Miami.

266. Dave G says:

265 comments up there so far. Do I really have to read them all before I make one myself?

267. Brandie says:

At the end of the chat, I liked how Dejan compared the blog to “a cockroach in nuclear winter.”. Shows we have staying power.

HA!

Doesn’t count. Wasn’t in a column.

270. TJ says:

Now this would be interesting. But I’m not sure I’d have him as the closer; I think Melancon has earned the right to close.

271. TJ says:

ESPN reporting that the Phillies are getting “late” offers for Lee.

C’mon NH pull the trigger and bring Lee and Utley to Pittsburgh

272. Reading says:

A couple runs would be nice. They can’t lose this AAAA game. Would ruin the most important series in PNC Park history.

273. Keith says:

No, no – just thought you’d like to know some of us were talking about it, too.

274. Keith says:

Yecchh. No, please.

275. TJ says:

Completely agree Reading; everyone is talking about the Cardinals series but if they sleep walk through this series they could be 5 games back before that series even starts.

276. TJ says:

Any truth to the rumor that Kenny Williams from the White Sox was spotted at an Altoona Curve game this week?

277. Dave G says:

The next jersey I buy is a Number 6. Love how this kid plays.

278. pattonbb says:

That Marlins – Blue Jay trade isn’t looking to bad for the Marlins right now.

Why wouldn’t the GM go ?

280. Chuck H says:

Yikes! we’re not hitting, not even with nobody on base. I have a feeling that we are going to be swept by (horrors) the Marlins. C’mon guys, let’s get some hits. Don’t let Locke
    hanging out to dry. Another no-name pitcher has our number already. GO, BUCS!!!!

I think that was Kenny Rogers checking out the ballpark for a concert.

so, when is the Hippopocalypse?

On a warm summers evening,
    On a train bound for nowhere.

Damn soon if they dont start hitting.

Evening, Jandy! ……. the other half of my fan club, lol

285. Reading says:

My thoughts exactly. Getting madder as each goose egg goes up.

286. TJ says:

I met up with a gambler
    We were both too tired to sleep

Are you calling him The Coward of Blair County?

The Nunnish side ;)
    Evenin, friend

289. Locke is not helping himself out with all these baserunners. At least one in every inning so far.

Hey now, leave Blair County out of it…

291. TJ says:

One of my favorite songs of all time Milo; every time it pops up on my dash board as being on I turn to the channel and my kids roll their eyes as I turn it up and start singing.

They are well versed in Kenny and Johnny Cash

We wish we could…………. ;)

That’s 11 of them.

294. TJ says:

Kenny doesn’t fill ballparks; he was out at the city center in Greensburg last year. I think he will be at the meadows some time this year after Bill Cosby

The 2 sides of Jandy…………..

the Nunnish side, and
    the thwapish side.

lol…put that way, makes me sound Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde

297. TJ says:

Rhut roh shaggy

no Scooby snacks for Locke.

299. JRay3 says:

Well best part of this situation is that it chases Alvarez who easily could have went a couple more innings and was near unhittable.

300. Marlins 12 baserunners so far, while the Bucs only have 3.

301. TJ says:

Kid is throwing a 2 hitter and you pinch hit for him?

Well, that stinks

If the 9 wide fits………………..

304. JRay3 says:

May have been a weak roller, but Locke littering the bases with walks led to that run.

305. Reading says:

Guess it’s good that St. Louis was losing 2-1.

He got Hurdled.

Oh, wait……………..

307. TJ says:

Lets hope their bullpen falls apart….

Looking at the start of the 2nd half the Pirates dropped 2 of 3 to the Cubs and are on their way to losing the 1st game to the Marlins.

UGLY

308. Play with fire too much you get — BURNED. The Bucs are still at the pool after coming to Florida in that beach gear.

BOOM!

310. It would be 2-0 without that great throw by Marte.

lol

312. TJ says:

Offense needs to pick him up; getting out of that with only 1 run is something the Pirates would do.

Break open the bats already

313. JRay3 says:

Bucs maybe glad to trade run for getting that kid out of the game, have to think they will have better shot of Marlins pen.

Always good to be in here with you guys, gals, and nuclear cockroaches (from DK’s chat).

Hope to be able to stay up for the finish of this game.

315. Daquido_Bazzini says:

This nightly “no offense” charade is getting old with the Pirates.
    Something needs to be done….

I swear, I DON’T want to see any nuclear cockroaches YUCK lol

317. That’s what happens when everyone comes to the plate trying to hit homeruns instead of just getting a hit. Too many guys pulling balls that should go the other way – or striking out altogether.

WTH is wrong with these guys? They can’t hit anything…

Talk to your boy then.

Maybe we can trade them for a bat??? ;)

320. Reading says:

Which team is the contender? Being schooled at the plate.

Sitting here reminiscing about our 3 baserunners. Ahh, the memories.

The broad side of the barn is safe tonight……….

I say we put in JayHay, and even Barmes

324. Reading says:

Can’t even make contact. What a joke.

looks that way

326. They can’t start winning the game until they strikeout another three times to reach that ever popular 10+ strikeouts per game.

*MY* boy>>??? uhh…

328. JRay3 says:

3-4-5 hitters go strikeout, strikeout and punch out, just zero life from team today. These are games you have to win, unreal.

329. Just like the media, this team is looking to the next series instead of playing ball tonight. With STL losing 3-1 now, they could take advantage and gain that game back if they just get their heads out of their keaster.

DK: The ‘media’ is looking ahead to the Steelers’ first practice tomorrow.

:D

yes these games are much needed as wins….

332. JRay3 says:

Maybe the Pirates should ask about Stanton one more time before next Wednesday.

333. Reading says:

Ballgame. Embarrassing L. Could have picked up a game- maybe.

silly Hippo!

335. Daquido_Bazzini says:

You talk about a sickening display….Why am I not surprised?!?!

Someone wake me via carrier pigeon if they come back.
    Like I said in the morning thread, this team needs leadership down the stretch. If they overlook the Marlins, obviously that leadership isnt working.

I am afraid if they lose this series, it will force NH to overpay for a bat. I mean, really overpay.

Good night all.

337. Reading says:

I hope “Thom” isn’t watching this game.

Night Hipposter…but the game isn’t over yet…

Sleepy Hippo, Bucs stinkin up Miami, so off to the Pond I go. :)

340. Dave G says:

Uncharacteristic change of entire battery for the Bucs.

Martin injured?… or did Hurdle do that to save a pinch hitter for later?

sweet Hippo dreams :)

342. JRay3 says:

Locke with career high nine strikeouts. I know it is a double switch but Marlins broadcast seems to think Martin tweaked something his last AB and stated he doesn’t look like he is moving all that well even coming off of field.

343. JRay3 says:

Marlins broadcast crew seems to think he twinged something during his last AB. He did make last out so not for sure.

Always never the same, Daq………………..

I honestly don’t mind the switch. No one is hitting…so try something else.

346. Reading says:

Maybe instead of dressing up in beach-bum clothes and bringing inflatable sharks and whales on the plane, the team should have studying the scouting report on the pitcher or reading “The Science of Hitting” by Ted Williams.

Nice, Gaby.

348. JRay3 says:

An 11 pitch AB that results Ina double, the best AB of the night.

349. Dave G says:

Double for Gaby.

Bug on the rug with one out in the 8th

350. Lad9 says:

Hey Jandy! Maybe Gaby started something. Rally time.

Nice, Gaby. 11pitches

352. JRay3 says:

Chad Qualls coming in, a guy that you can certainly get to. Come on Jordy.

353. Lad9 says:

He is our best shot.

354. JRay3 says:

Amend that come on Travis.

355. Patrick(ri) says:

Dripping with irony.

356. chethejet says:

I felt all along this team was was capable of stringing some hits together and playing small ball. In fact they stink at it. They can’t seem to use any combination of speed and advancing runners on a consistent basis. Not sure what they are doing, but unless they decide what they are, this RF, Sanchez, Walker, Jones lineup will be to little to late to catch the Cardinals and the Reds. They just hit the ball so much better and the run differential will prove to be to much for the buccos. NH can’t due to budget issues can’t make a major moves regardless of who is out there. The price may be to high and they want Rios and payroll relief. Every other club takes him with that number.

357. The Gunner says:

Talk about waving a white flag! Chet, don’t be so negative.

358. Patrick(ri) says:

The analysis may be negative, but it would appear to be accurate.

359. There’s 11 K’s on the night. Come on Cutch – hit the ball!!

360. Patrick(ri) says:

This pitchers stuff wouldvappear to play to Pdros strength

361. Dave G says:

Wow. Two hits in the ninth and the game rests in the hands of Jose Tabata.

362. chethejet says:

Lets face it, so far only Alvarez and Cole are the only by products of the draft. I believe Marte was signed before NH. Walker, Cutch are Littlefield draft picks. So Mercer who is OK and some bull Pen arms are what constitutes this roster. Unless they trade for a really good bat this off season like Stanton or Cuddyer, this issue will be repeated next year as well.

363. Patrick(ri) says:

Sorry, I usually speak English..

364. Come on Tabata – keep the hits going.

365. Dave G says:

To no avail…

366. Reading says:

Magnificient job of going through the motions. Schedule the World Series Parade.

367. Dave G says:

Raze it. Bucs lose, 2-0.

368. Hopefully the Braves hold off the Cards and the Dodgers and beat the Reds, then no harm no foul tonight. These guys need some smelling salts to wake the heck up and come out tomorrow against another young pitcher. Go Bucs!!!

369. Reading says:

A free loss. Don’t let it happen again.

370. The Gunner says:

Well, I guess we can put the blame on the batting coach

Everyone overlooks Wilson, 5th round 2008 Mercer also 2008, Black 2009

372. chethejet says:

I like the buccos and think with some smart decisions, they can be good for awhile. The issue to me is trading who drops off payroll and who adds payroll. I simply can’t see them coming close to the kind of spending that the Reds and Cardinals spend. As long as that is the case, even with Cutch moving higher 3 million and Francisco adding 4 to 8 with Burnett and Wandy and that represents 7 million net. Even including Barmas and Karstans and Mc Donald which is 8 million, you still have Walker, Alvarez and Morton eating that up. So you have a payroll of roughly 50 and still need two starters or at least one major guy.The good news is the Pirates have 25 million more from ESPN next year. The bad news is so does everyone else. Unless they sign a big time bat or trade for one and pay the going rate, we will be discussing this need next year. The Pirates should be at a minimum 75 million next year based on 180 million in total revenue.

373. chethejet says:

Sorry should read Burnett and Wandy gone.

Usually?

The Pirates may never win another game again.

Ever.

376. Reading says:

Cool stat from Dodgers-Reds game: highest opposing player batting average at Dodger Stadium (minimum 90 at bats)- Roberto Clemente (.377).