Final: Marlins 3, Pirates 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (61-41) vs. Miami Marlins (39-63)

Starters: RHP Gerrit Cole vs. RHP Jose Fernandez

Time: 1:10 p.m.

Site: Marlins Park, Miami

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, CF
  2. Jose Tabata, LF
  3. Neil Walker, 2B
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Garrett Jones, RF
  7. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Cole, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Travis Sawchik is looking ahead to the next series.

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

SUNDAY PICK ‘EM!!!

PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier

STANDINGS WILL BE UPDATED AT SOME POINT THIS EVENING

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Today’s Pick ‘Em Line
    Total HITS + WALKS by Neil Walker in today’s game
    0 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    1 (EVEN ODDS)
    2 (EVEN ODDS)
    3 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    4 or More (TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE ODDS)

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).

GOOD LUCK!!!

61 Down, only 21 more to go!!

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

2. John Lease says:

Mr. Hurdle, we NEED to win games. So please, get McCutchen in the lineup.

Thank you.

Good Sunday, all.

25/3, please.

Thanks for your work, Playoffs.

4. bizrow says:

100 on 3 hits, thanks Playoffs

5. JMB says:

Great Rumbunter article on Pence in Jal’s links today.

I’ve also wanted Pence on the Pirates since 2011, so I’m also on the NH get it done bandwagon!

6. TJ says:

Anyone happen to see the David Ortiz meltdown last night?

I don’t mind if a player gets upset over a bad call but he was down right ridiculous. He felt he was shown up by the umpire but Ortiz stepped out of the batters box before the pitch was even thrown and expected a walk. Talk about being shown up. I would have called it a strike myself. You don’t pull that bush league stuff like Ortiz did last night. Don’t care if he’s been in the majors for 17 years like he says he has.

Total garbage on his part.

7. Bill Born says:

50 on the 0 line
    Please and Thank you.

8. TJ says:

He’s got to do something. No way can he sit on an offense that has a batting average with runners in scoring position some 40 points lower than the next lowest team. A .222 average while the next team is over .260. Makes your stomach turn and wonder what this team could be doing if they actually could hit with runners on base.

9. Jason81 says:

100 on 2 HITS, please!

10. TJ says:

NY Post article speculates ARod could be suspended for all of 2014.

If that is the case he wouldn’t return to baseball until he is 39. He would turn 40 that same season. Would there be any point in returning?

Seems like just yesterday he was to be the guy to break Barry Bonds HR record.

I commented about it on the morning thread. The guy acts & sounds like a jerk.

Good column about Braun by Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel writer, Tom Haudricourt:

Good insight into how players will deal with Braun, and interesting observations on Braun’s contract, then thought to be a steal of the century for the Brewers.

13. pattonbb says:

Stick a fork in him…..he’s done.

14. Lad9 says:

100 on 2 please. Thank you! Go Buccos!

15. JoeyBats says:

The starting pitcher name is Jose FERNANDEZ …and he is a stud!

16. Joey Mellons says:

100 gerber snacks on 1 hit.

17. JoeyBats says:

AGREE…+ Barmes in the “Sunday” lineup too…. :-(

18. pattonbb says:

100 on 0

TJ, you are forgetting something………..

neal is the smartest man in any room, just ask him. I have detailed over the past week just how much neal LOVES his prospects (he has never dealt a prospect higher than #8 or 9) , sellers this year are much fewer in number, and are most likely asking for exhorbitant returns.

As for him HAVING to do something, not in his world. The team is 20 games over .500, lead the WC standings, so this is a bonus for him, and the rest of the FO. Just because we know he needs to do something, doesnt mean squat.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed this year.

Not to mention he has been suspected of steroid use for years.
    What a peach.

21. bman says:

@playoffs:

50 on 0 please!

Miami Marlins ‏@Marlins

#Marlins lineup vs PIT: Hechavarria SS, Yelich LF, Stanton RF, Morrison 1B, Lucas 3B, Solano 2B, Marisnick CF, Mathis C, Fernandez P

23. TJ says:

I saw an article yesterday suggesting that any player caught cheating should have their contracts voided.

Not sure how this will keep players from cheating. The only way its voided is if they are caught. ONLY if they are caught. And sure why not let ego driven owners who over pay for glorified athletes off the hook by letting them void the ridiculous contract they handed out in the first place.

In my opinion the player should have his contract voided and the team should still pay a penalty.

24. TJ says:

I totally agree about Ortiz and steroids. I don’t know how this guy has not been at the front of the pack when it comes to this. I know its 17 years later but take a look at the “skinny” Oritz.

25. TJ says:

Again sour grapes and again I’ll disagree with you. Kind of like a broken record here.

I wasn’t aware you had insider knowledge into the demands of every team in baseball. They may be high at this point but as that deadline draws closer and closer someone is going to blink.

26. Frankie says:

50 on 2 please

Look at his numbers at Minnesota, then look at his numbers only 2 years later in Boston.

And, the fact his body has broken down almost every year.

Like I said, what a peach.

Not many trades made in the past few weeks.

Teams may be keeping their prospects and there doesn’t seem to many great players available.

29. Chico says:

@playoffs

75 on “1″ please!

30. cmat0829 says:

lets go 100 on 2. If the Bucs are gonna win, and I think they will, Neil will have to play a big role.

31. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may I have 100 Sunday Lineup Units on “0″ hits?

32. Dadtackular says:

100 bumper stickers on 1

33. pattonbb says:

I like Bob Costas’ idea. Any player caught cheating gets an automatic 100 game suspension AND is never eligible for any baseball honor (all star, HoF, batting crown, etc.).

Wow, TJ, I must say I am disappointed in your snarkiness here.

Doesnt bother me in the least that you disagree with me. I just wonder why you have to blab that I have “insider knowledge.” When I say “most likely”, I am not saying it is an absolute. But if it allows you to thorw a snark bomb my way, whatever makes you happy.

neal has always suffered form “smartest man in the room” syndrome.
    neal has never dealt a high prospect.
    There ARE fewer sellers this year, due to the WC gives some teams false hope.
    And, unless my reading skills have failed me, I have been reading this year that teams must be “blown away” with offers for players. That to me equals exhorbitant returns.

I have never attacked you in your posts. I dont appreciate your response to me. I have no insider knowledge, I gave my views. I dont snark attack your opinions, so please give me the same courtesy in return.

Thanks.

Agree with you TC.

Thats why I say be prepared to be underwhelmed.

Mr. Playoffs……….

please let me have 25 Hippos on 1.

Thanks.

37. pattonbb says:

Travis Snider to the DL, hello Tony Sanchez.

Just saw that. “Discomfort in his big toe” ?
    I also hope that Martin or McHenry dont have to go on the DL. Maybe that is why they recalled Sanchez?

39. Bob Hasis says:

This has great merit IMHO. I hope it gets some traction with the Budster,
    and the majority required of the owners

40. I know it has been three batters, but just the expectations of this kid on Miami are making me think they have to wait till the bullpen comes in to do something – hopefully I am totally wrong. Come on Bucs! Get it done Garrett!

41. Paperboy says:

Bummed I can only listen to the game today. I’d really enjoy watching these two young studs face off on the mound.

42. DemonDachshund says:

No one blinked last year in terms of hitters, unless you want to count getting minor leaguers from non-contenders.

We might see a Lee or Ludwick type deal, but there’s no way Pence or someone of that level is coming in. Besides, NH’s response to the Bucco RISP numbers would likely be that clutch hitting is a myth anyways, and he fully expects it to improve based on probabilities.

43. pattonbb says:

Stanton continues to hit. A 2 out double gives the Fish their first baserunner.

44. twentytwo22 says:

Jeter hit a HR. Avoid ESPN today.

Nice hit by Martin.!!!

I dont ask for this team hitting .400……………….. I just want them to have timely hits, and take advantage of their opportunities.

1-0 good guys.

46. Nice hitting by Pedro and Martin to get the Bucs on the board 1-0!! Add on!!

47. He could K every time up and I would still avoid it.

48. twentytwo22 says:

49. Can we please count that run as a hit with a man in scoring position? Nice steal by Martin.

I think they should change their call letters to NESPN. They only worry about New England baseball, and LeBron.

Again, clutch hitting!

Barmes of all people with an RBI……………….
    2-0 good guys.

52. Paperboy says:

Pirates with good jump today!

53. twentytwo22 says:

Big 2 out single by Barmes. Mercer had 2 IBB last night, but they pitch to Barmes.

54. pattonbb says:

The greatest hit by the greatest SS, playing for the greatest team in the greatest city…… or something like that.

55. If this guy is going to continue to throw nothin’ but the heat, then the aggression at the plate by the Bucs is a good thing. Working so far too with a 2-0 lead.

56. Bob Hasis says:

Whoa whoa slow down big fella, or you’ll fall off of the horse

57. PopPopTS says:

Cole is hitting .357. Morton is 0 for the season. Barmes is hitting .217. Do the math, and I’m not surprised.

58. scapper says:

Going to be at Wednesday’s game. Can’t wait. First row above Clemente Wall. I’ll be the one who can’t resist reaching for a near homer, leading to instant replay and much gnashing of teeth by a manager.

But can someone help me? I’ve scoured the schedule, both home and away, but I can’t find that new annual promotion they’ve been running. You know, the “19-Inning Game That Initiates This Year’s Collapse.” Has that been scrapped this year?

59. John Lease says:

That explains why Snider has had limited power all year, it’s his big toe!

I guess he won’t be dealt on the 31st then…

60. John Lease says:

11 on the season, he’s down to about 200K per RBI this year, an encouraging sign…

61. Bob Hasis says:

This is purely a personal observation and opinion; I would love to have Stanton on our team – but I think he is an inordinately slow runner. I don’t know if I’m right or not.

I realize that does not diminish his hitting anyway. Does anyone agree or feel otherwise.

lol

63. pattonbb says:

bad decision Marte.

64. Positioning cost Cole the first run there. Gabby playing off the line too far even though the previous pithc you could tell Lucas was trying to go that way with his hits. Now it is tied and it really shouldn’t be, and maybe should still be 2-0 Bucs.

65. pattonbb says:

joking….

10 Ks. Lots of pitch & catch going on so far

67. The offense is back to looking foolish now that he has started to throw breaking balls to them. Marte with another off day – 3 K’s so far. Hopefully the general season long trend of the Bucs winning games that they strike out 10, 11, 12, 15+ times will continue. They sit at 10 after 5. Get back on the horse Garrett and shut them down.

68. Daquido_Bazzini says:

8 of the last 10 Bucs with K’s!
    I don’t care if they’re facing the ghost of Cy Young….This is flat out ridiculous.
    There is NO WAY this team can stay in contention with endless K’s and extinct Sac flies.
    It’s so frustrating…..

It is frustrating for us fans.
    Maybe not frustrating for some others………….

That looked like Anna Benson in Gaby’s box of family.

Scary……………..

That looked like Anna Benson in Gaby’s box of family.

Scary……………..

72. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I don’t want to hear this crap about how awesome Jose Fernandez is.
    If you’re a MLB player, and you can’t put the ball in play….Go home!!

73. Steelag70 says:

I have Fernandez on my fantasy team….Cole also. Fernandez struck out 11 vs the Cards earlier this season…hate to see what he will end up with against us.

74. cmat0829 says:

um, cutch needs a day off, would you rather it be vs STL ??

75. cmat0829 says:

I think Fort is hurting more than Martin is…. you need to have a backup catcher, so good move to get Sanchez activated, especially with the DH looming on Tuesday. If Fort is hurt worse than it seems, then you can DL him and call up Presley … if Fort is ok and can go Tuesday, then you can send Tony back down.

Snider to CL, I mean DL, a good thing… he will have lots of ‘rehab’ time for his swing in AAA…

76. cmat0829 says:

um no… positioning Gaby there was actually trying to cut down on the hole b/w 1B and 2B, knowing that Lucas was going that way… pretty low odds to get a ball between Gaby and line and not go foul, he did it, good for him, but let’s not blame positioning.

77. Playoffs by 2012 says:

If Stanton does become available, and the Bucs don’t pull the trigger on him, Taillon and Polanco better both have Hall of Fame careers.

78. Steelag70 says:

@&$”!!!!

79. cmat0829 says:

Stanton is the real deal.. but Marlins are building around him with lots and lots of prospects…hard for me to see why they’d need 2 or 3 more of that type of player instead of keeping Stanton and building around him…. I think any trade rumor about Stanton is full of baloney…..

Cole was electric early, laboring a bit now… Bucs will need to dig deep and try to scratch a tying run off Fernandez….he will go at least 8…

80. Steelag70 says:

This team is struggling now…win one, lose one….

third baseman Casey McGehee is hitting .292 with 18 homers and 55 RBIs for the Golden Eagles

82. pattonbb says:

don’t mess with team chemistry.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed.

This is why I have a hard time supporting this FO.
    Prospects may, or may not be any good.
    Stanton has been good, and all signs point to him being good for the future.
    But prospects are cheaper, so………………..

Ronny Cedeno was DFA’d today.
    Just sayin’

85. cmat0829 says:

um, are you counting today as a loss already?

I am just tired of this putrid lineup making opposing pitchers look like Cy Young/Steve Carlton.

87. cmat0829 says:

maybe the Golden Eagles need a mediocre shortstop

88. Parrothead01 says:

Marlins have one legitimate hitter in the lineup and were not smart enough to pitch around him. He’s only hitting 250 because other teams pitch around him. I work in Miami, I have seen it all year. Why aren’t we smart enough to pitch around him and make someone else beat us. I at least hope they learn from this and pitch around him in Pittsburgh.

89. cmat0829 says:

Has anyone heard what types of crowds the Bucs are expecting for the Cards series?

I’d think midweek games in late July would typically be in the low 20′s range… but this is a big, big series…

90. cmat0829 says:

I see your point but Morrison is a threat also

91. Steelag70 says:

Cmat….they way they have not been able to make contact today, yes.

92. cmat0829 says:

wow, I guess I can just get on with my day and not watch the rest of the game, huh?

I would expect at least 30-33K each game.

94. Parrothead01 says:

Not like Stanton. I would take my chance with Morrison any day.

95. cmat0829 says:

Stanton is not available. thanks.
    The Marlins acquired a zillion prospects the past 12 months, he is 23 y/o, why send him out to pick up 2 or 3 more prospects.

96. Steelag70 says:

Agreed…

97. cmat0829 says:

thanks… where’s Milo? he usually has the ticket counts.

98. Steelag70 says:

Yep…

99. Keith says:

Jonesy trying to knock Fernandez out of the game.

lol

The only reason I could think of is Loria doesnt want to pay the 12-15MM Stanton would probably gain in arbitration.

102. Parrothead01 says:

Why is Sanchez playing against a right handed hitter. He’s already proved he can’t hit right handlers. I hope Clint is not playing him because he is from Miami. That would be weak. I would rather see Harrison hit against right handed pitcher than Sanchez.

103. Steelag70 says:

Because we are so poor in RF…Jones has to play there…and with Snider going on the DL…

104. Parrothead01 says:

Play Harrison in right then until they call someone up. He had three hits the game hits the game he played right.

105. Steelag70 says:

The Rangers apparently offered 4 top prospects for Stanton last week and the Marlins said no….

106. cmat0829 says:

Fernandez is really impressive.. works quickly, oozing with confidence..and very aware…several times today he has told the 3B to be ready for Marte to bunt…

107. Steelag70 says:

Tony Sanchez was called up to replace Snider, but The Fort may also be headed to the DL…

108. cmat0829 says:

sorry that doesnt make sense. the whole rest of the marlins team will likely make around 20M, and the marlins need to meet some sort of minimum payroll to avoid union scrutiny..they will likely NEED to pay Stanton that money or else face consequences…

109. The Gunner says:

Well, the good news is we have the “Big Guns” coming up in the top of the 9th.

110. cmat0829 says:

Wow, trade deadline is really quiet…haven’t heard much of anything about Pirates talks…that may be a good thing as most of these rumors end up not happening….

I can see the Bucs adding Morneau, moving Jones to RF…and adding a RH hitting piece to play RF vs. LHPs… they will face mostly RHP anyway down the stretch (Cards and Reds are very RH heavy)…

I’d love to see them try to get Denorfia and Gregorson from the Padres, that will take some prospects…. Morneau should be had with midlevel prospect and eating salary.

111. Steelag70 says:

5-5 road trip and losing 2 out of 3 to the Marlins….wow…

112. cmat0829 says:

Well, we get a chance to face Cishek and not Fernandez in the 9th… we can seek success vs. Cishek, maybe he’ll suck like sea shells on the sea shore….

113. Steelag70 says:

I don’t want Morneau…he is not the same player…and why all this excitement over Denorfia? We need an impact bat…

114. Steelag70 says:

Yep….just like we did Friday night…

115. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Fernandez is nothing special.
    This is ALL about a team that can’t hit there way through a paper bag.
    I don’t want to hear about Fernandez.
    This team K’s and K’s and K’s all the time.
    How they remain in contention….I don’t know.

116. Daquido_Bazzini says:

THEIR way

117. cmat0829 says:

game ain’t over. but if it does end up this way, not sure it earns a ‘wow’… 10 games vs. Reds, Nats and Marlins (who have one of the best records in MLB since late June) ..also playing on the road is always tough… having Grilli go down… etc… not saying I’m happy with 5-5, but not a ‘wow’ moment as I see it…. not even close.

118. The Gunner says:

Yep, it sure sucks!

119. cmat0829 says:

geeze Steelag, are you predicting Big Ben will injure his knee in preseason too? You are quite the Debby Downer.

never underestimate the illogic of one Jeffrey Loria.

What you say makes perfect sense.
    Loria doesnt.

121. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I should have the standings updated by 5pm today.

122. Steelag70 says:

Cmat….no…just going with what I have seen from this team this weekend.

123. pattonbb says:

Jake Peavy seen carrying all of his belongings out of white sox clubhouse. Hope he doesn’t end up in St. Loo

124. cmat0829 says:

Let’s go El Toro…

You, Biz, and JAL have unique, and different labors of love on our blog.

Thanks to all 3 of you.

126. Playoffs by 2012 says:

At 61 and 41, if they simply play .500 ball the last 60 games, they will win 91 games.
    Let that sink in for a minute or two.

127. Steelag70 says:

Sorry cmat…it is a wow moment. You have to beat the teams you should be able to beat…

Possibly the Braves, since Hudson done for the year…………….

129. Playoffs by 2012 says:

JAL is the News Leader.
    Bizrow is the Membership Chairman.
    Me, I’m like the Director of Entertainment.

Impressive, eh?

But .500 ball isnt guaranteed.

131. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Exactly.
    .400 ball still gets them a winning record.

KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

132. Steelag70 says:

Why should we settle for .500 ball??

:D

134. Playoffs by 2012 says:

YOU don’t have to settle for anything.

135. Steelag70 says:

Pathetic effort today…and this weekend.

Raze the Jolly Roger.

Losing 2 of 3 to the team with the worst record in the NL, the Pirates had 13 K’s.
    Geritt Cole pitched a good game, allowing only 4 hits, struck out 8, but still got the loss.

It has to be difficult for this great pitching staff to be nearly perfect every game, for the Pirates to have a chance to win.

Now a key series against the Cards.

137. Steelag70 says:

I’m not…I expect them to want the division, not a WC….they need to play much better than they have.

138. T.S. says:

Way too many strikeouts for too long. Can only lean on excellent pitching for so long before your weak hitting is exposed. Not enough clutch hits. For starters, Gaby S needs to be DFA’d and Tabata needs to go to AAA, permanently. Hell, I’d take Felix Pie over Tabata in a second.

139. The Gunner says:

NH needs to add some offense…….QUICKLY!!

140. twentytwo22 says:

If the Pirates play the Cardinals like they played the Marlins, they won’t win a game.

141. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Hey TJ….Relying on Neal Huntington is like relying on a broken down car.
    You can sit and hope it starts, but you’re not going anywhere.
    Huntington needs to put his work boots on.
    I’m sick of this….”Oh come on….Nobody else is doing anything” song and dance.
    Get to work GM!

…….. and I am the Zoo attraction. :)

143. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Just BURNING mad at this K’exhibition today!

Cant help but chuckle when I read this.

Its neal we are talking about………………….

145. The Gunner says:

Unfortunately, you are right on the money; they should have beat up on Miami.

146. Steelag70 says:

CH said yesterday that they continue to work on things with these hitters to try and get them going…it’s the end of July Clint, it’s not going to happen…

147. BreakTheStreak says:

Enough already!! Get us some offense NH

148. Daquido_Bazzini says:

K-Pitiful!

149. Steelag70 says:

Bucs scored 9 runs this weekend….wow…

150. Wild Bill says:

Not that his pinch hit at bat made any difference, but I don’t understand playing McCutchen against a lesser pitcher last night and then resting him against the Marlin’s ace. Over the course of the game, he’d might have made a difference today.

Daq, it has happened the majority of this season.

I just shake my head when they K, but I am not surprised.

152. tomp says:

This team offensively speaking, is pathetic, and i wonder how they got to 61 wins.

If they make the playoffs(which i will believe when i see it), they won’t go far, because they will face an Alvarez/Hernandez/Strasburg type every game.
    Never ever should Gaby Sanchez face a right handed pitcher.
    They strike out way too much, and rarely go a single inning without striking out at least 1 time.

The pitching has been awesome, but the offense is far from being major league normal.

I have no faith in this team , unless by some mystery they acquire some bats that can actually hit.
    Over 2 months without a single SF?
    Again, simply put, pathetic!.
    Nice Ab by Cutch there, by the way.
    It seems like he was in the locker room , getting his dreds washed, when he was interrupted, and called up to PH.

A bat may be coming, but will it make a difference?.

Tabata is useless. He had his chance, and has proven once and for all, he is simply a dog.

What a pathetic display of hitting this team showed this weekend, except for the outburst they made against a AAA pitcher.

This has to be 1 of the most disappointing losses of the season, in my opinion, well knowing what they have upcoming.
    Any decent strikeout pitcher can look forward to setting their career mark, against this bunch.
    Jay Bell has done a terrible job, just like his predecessor.

153. T.S. says:

I like Clint, but he’s very good at talking baseball speak versus giving straight answers. “Try to get them going” rings hollow. Means nothing.

154. KenKopp says:

Dang good ball game. Except for the result. 2 hours 10 minutes with some great pitching by two young arms. I like our team and hope we do not mess with the clubhouse at the trade deadline. Let these guys battle it to the wire. Big series coming up and the Cards gotta play the Sunday night game and get on a plane. Go Braves.

Aside to Jandy and Drew. Thanks for the clarification the other day. When Drew spanked me I thought I really screwed up. Didn’t have a clue why, but you two always post cool stuff and I didn’t want to be one of the “write stupid stuff” guys on DK’s blog. Thanks again.

Go Bucs!

155. Steelag70 says:

Good question….probably though because he also rested Russell Martin last night.

156. tomp says:

And not 1 single HR!.

If they were going to fake DL Snider(which i am all for) , they should have brought up Lambo or Presley.

157. Steelag70 says:

Ken…sorry to disagree with you. This was a pathetic effort by the Bucs today. If no deal is done to improve this offense then they will continue to struggle…

158. Steelag70 says:

Agreed!!!

Oh hell, Ken, we all write stupid stuff all the time here.
    Its what we do.

Drewster was only funning with you…………. he wasnt spanking you.

Post more often……….. it doesnt hurt.

Well lunatics, this Hippo is outta here.

Very disappointing loss today………… Pirates NEED to shake it off tonight, and get prepared for the Cards.

Have a great night…………….

161. tomp says:

I think this is the beginning of a very bad string of losses.

I would forget about winning this division, and concentrate on holding on to the 2nd wild card spot.
    Only a matter of time before the Red’s pass this bunch.
    It’s not too late to do a semi roster overhaul.

Pujols may be out for the season.
    Maybe it’s time to call the Angels, and see if Bourjous, or Trumbo can be had.

No good team, no playoff team, can continually run guys like Tabata and Sanchez out there, and expect to win.
    Those 2 guys(Marte gets an honorable mention) had some of the most pitiful ab’s i have ever seen, in a game today.

162. tomp says:

Yeah, i am pretty much tired of his after game sermons.

I am a big fan of team, but i am not a big fan of the current manager.

163. The Gunner says:

Yep, it sure is getting old. I like CH too but, it is time to stop the clichés etc. & get the current bats going. They really need to address RF now!

164. The Gunner says:

It’s not the batting coach, it’s basically the same freaking bunch of players they had last year.

Guess who the problem is??

165. KenKopp says:

Thanks. And the plan is working. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke. The teams with the two best records in the majors are going into a five game series with a doubleheader included. Most fun I’ve had in 20 years. Sorry Steelag70 that was not pathetic. That was a darn good baseball game. Their kid pitched a heck of a game. Give credit where it is due.

166. Chuck H says:

I think Marte is trying to pass Sir Whiffs-a-Lot for the strikeout lead. He certainly should not be the leadoff hitter. 13 strikeouts against a so-so pitcher. That is unacceptable.
    Of course, they strike out a lot against lessor talented pitchers. What we need to do is get some players who can hit and get rid of some automatic outs. The pitching staff is fine,
    but I can imagine some of the starters are getting miffed because of lack of run support.
    This business with lefty batters not being able to hit lefty pitchers is BS and should be addressed by management. The same goes for righty batters who can’t hit righty pitchers.
    We are on top of the team pitching stats. We need a better hitting coach to wake up these
    whiffers. There, I said it and I’m glad I said it.

167. Steelag70 says:

Ken….how can you say not to fix this offense? It is pathetic…especially in RF. I give credit to Fernandez, but it sure does help when the opposing team is weak on offense…

168. Playoffs by 2012 says:

How quickly we forget that this same very Marlins team beat the Cardinals 2 out of 3 not too long ago….

The sky hasn’t fallen yet.

KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

169. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Here are the current, up-to-date standings:

TOP SCORES IN JULY

JMB ~ -800
    Jandy ~ -975
    Kevin ~ -1435
    Bizrow ~ -4200

***The Most Points for the end of JULY will win:***
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES BUMPER STICKER

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER

170. tomp says:

Marte, Mc Cutchen, and a new Rf, 4th outfielder Jones

Alvarez, SS(either Mercer, or Barmes) Walker and a real 1st baseman that can hit.

Bench- Harrison, Sanchez, (only bats against lefty pitchers) , and a switch hitting guy off the bench.

I really wouldn’t miss Gaby, but i think the team likes his glove. They certainly can’t be happy with his 240. something batting average, which he currently owns.

Catcher- Martin and Fort.
    No more Tabata or Snider.
    Enough of those 240 . hitters with no power!.

They have to do something , don’t they?.
    Too bad for Tony Sanchez the brain trust did not think about giving him any work at 1st base,3rd base, or RF , in AAA.

171. tomp says:

Last 3 game series they played , the Cardinals swept them, and that was 2 weeks ago.

Marlins won 2 of 3 , back in the middle of June.

172. tomp says:

The team has only 3 left handed batters currently(Alvarez, Walker, and Jones).

Not the way a playoff team needs to be constructed.

If they go out and get Rios, i am going to be pissed.

Need some left handed pop!!, or a lefty bat that is not going to strike out 2 to 3 x’s a game.

They better make a serious push for Aoki, or even Chase Utley.

173. Ghost says:

Been saying that about Trumbo, and especially about Bourjos, for some time. Has to be a trade that makes sense for us, though. The Angles are supposed to have a very weak farm system, so it’s conceivable we could even swing a trade giving them quantity, not quality. More likely, they’ll want starting pitching now. I’m already on board with Locke for Bourjos, not sure if for Trumbo. But if GM Dipoto hangs tough and insists on too much, then we have to walk.

174. tomp says:

Pirates should not be giving up any of the current rotation, unless his last name is Morton.

175. Daquido_Bazzini says:

ALL season long!….But it makes me madder now than it did in May.

176. Ghost says:

I’d take Bourjos for Morton in a heartbeat. Not sure the Angels would, though. Locke’s trade value might be at its zenith right now. And we have other pitchers; what we don’t have are enough bats. But Morton and a prospect not named Taillon for BOTH Bourjos and Trumbo?? That ain’t happening, but it costs nothing to type it here and dream, right? :)

177. The Gunner says:

Tom, I agree with about 99% of what you say. Other poster will probably get mad at me for saying this but, the reason Tabata & Snider are around is because they both have low salaries.

It comes down to whether the BMTIB is willing to spend a few bucks to address RF & whatever else. And, you know their history.

178. The Gunner says:

Tom

I agree with you about Morton.

179. Brandie says:

Sorry about the loss. Did not get to hear or see much baseball this weekend. Need to get the offense going. Must take a hard look at who is not pulling his weight, then make decisions accordingly. Task is made much harder due to thin pickings at the fast approaching trade deadline. Whom to get to fill the holes at the right price?

I do not envy NH or TBMTIB.

180. Ghost says:

Interesting idea… And they did play Martin at third as he used to play shortstop. If the team wants to get creative, on off-days for Martin (as catcher) they probably could get away with having him play 3rd, or even first. If they REALLY want to get creative, see if Pedro can play first when Martin plays third. That was supposed to be the long-term plan for Pedro, anyway. August is a heckuva time to try this kind of experiment. But if we, er, strike out at the tread deadline, it might be time to think out of the box.

181. Ghost says:

“I do not envy NH or TBMTIB.”
    Me neither. They probably will not get much, if any, sleep between now and August 1. Let’s just hope that in a sleepless stupor they don’t do something stupid and wake up on Thursday to find that they’ve traded Andrew McCutchen and Gerrit Cole for Chase Headley and a sack of batting practice balls. :O

182. Brandie says:

Throw in some Big League Chew and some Chipped Chopped Ham and, maybe we pull the trigger on that deal.

With the losing streak looming like Snoopy sitting as a vulture in the kite eating tree, looks like TBMTIB is either danged if they do, danged if they don’t, or just danged. One question….If, by some horrible stroke of bad juju and just plain mediocrity that made the streak continue, can they all just fire themselves?

183. Playoffs by 2012 says:

OK, so when the Bucs sweep them in a few weeks in Pittsburgh it all evens out…

184. Ghost says:

Frank has already extended himself and Neal in secret until 2019. Clint would have the class to resign, though.

185. Brandie says:

Good ol’ Frank…Slicker than crap through a goose that one. NH, not so sure about. I think guile is wasted on him!

186. tomp says:

Sweep?, no way unless they totally miss facing Alvarez, and or Fernandez.

That AAA can’t start all 3 games, can he?.

This team strikes out WAY too many times per game, and it is going to hurt more and more as this season moves on.
    Seriously, 14 innings by 2 starters, giving up a total of 5 runs and they lose both games?.
    Like i said, pathetic, and if at least 3 guys off this current roster are not replaced, it’s not going to get better.

In the meantime , watch the “close losses” start to pile up.

187. KenKopp says:

This offense and this team have the second best record in baseball. How did Derick Lee and Ludwig work out? Who you going to get and what price ya gonna pay. Run what ya brought. We got bats that are quite capable of getting the job done. Notice the averages creeping up? Even Barmes. Please Clint, lay off the breaking ball down and away. Now that is pathetic.

188. bizrow says:

The only fellow in the FO that I truly do not like is Slick Frank.

NH? I do not like his babble, nor some of the things he has said, but we are what 19 games over? And with the injuries to boot

Lets see what he is made of in the next few days, then lets see what happens after that.

This is an exciting week coming up. Trade deadline and for the first time since 92, sans 97, we are really in a race

189. Brandie says:

+ Many. For the first time in a long time, the Buccos are players and not just playing spoilers.

190. chethejet says:

Frank cut a deal with Root for 10 years at 18 million per. He took the guarantee in a time when prices for broadcasting were going up. He only cost the franchise at 150 to 200 million over the next 10 years. He placed the franchise in a bad position and with his connection to MLB, one would think he would have has more insight, but Root got a very good deal. Now we will be told that the team has little flexibility to add any significant payroll. This is the year that will show that the Reds and Cardinals are just out of their league. They will win more than 82 games and maybe get a wildcard, but in the end, they are just the large markets farm team.

191. WVStarship says:

By the end of August they’ll be out of contention and 3/4 on their way back to losing season number 21.

192. WVStarship says:

.300 ball and they end up with last year’s records. That’s their goal.

193. WVStarship says:

Kind of like Dimbulb Dan’s “Get to our game”. Must be a
    Pittsburgh thing.

194. WVStarship says:

7 of the 9 was in one game. Makes it even worse.

195. KenKopp says:

Go Braves! Hope it goes to extra innings and the Cards blow their bullpen up, We are in a pennant race. Fun?

Braves have shown some great defense tonight.

197. Chuck H says:

I have been a Pirate fan for a long time, being originally from the Pittsburgh area, and have experienced good years along with the bad years. I don’t know much about
    options or the dealings with farm systems, but I do know by the way a team is playing,
    what is wrong with the organization. I can readily see that this team needs some hitters,
    not .230 or .240 hitters, but players that will hit around .275 or better. Why can’t the
    Pirate higher management see this glaring weakness in this team? It would seem that they really don’t care as long as the money keeps rolling in and the players don’t cost them too much. Baseball fans will keep coming to the games unless the team does a complete flip-flop and goes below .500 in the standings. Better get some hitters now, before it’s too late for this season. Spend some $$$$$.

Barmes IS pathetic. At least at the plate.

He’s the one who needs a spanking.

Thunder, too.

Actually I think he may have cut that deal right before the prices were going up.
    Can you share how you calculated the $150-$200 million.

‘They will win more than 82 games and maybe get a wildcard,’

I’ll take that.

200. The Gunner says:

Chuck

I have a feeling the Bucs are going to make a major effort to land Hunter Pence as a rental for the rest of 2013 (unless the Giants decide not too be him.) He’ll play elsewhere in 2014 as he will be way too pricey for the BMTIB.

201. Eric Bowser says:

RF on teams 10+ games out of playoffs…
    Bautista, Willingham, Rios, Ibanez, Morse, Trumbo, Young, Byrd, Stanton, Schierholtz, Aoki & Pence.

Hunter Pence…. go get him.

202. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I’d like the Pirates to trade for Iginla.
    BUT ONLY if Hurdle is going to use him correctly.

203. Eric Bowser says:

please…. just as I was getting over that moron’s (Bylsma) stupidity.

204. The Gunner says:

Pence is the guy the Bucs need, Eric. It’s time for the BMTIB to pony up!