Final: Pirates 4, Marlins 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (68-44) vs. Miami Marlins (43-68)

Starters: RHP Charlie Morton vs. RHP Tom Koehler

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Garrett Jones, 1B
  7. Josh Harrison, RF
  8. Jordy Mercer, SS
  9. Morton, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel, Karen Price, Travis Sawchik and I are on the scene.

Comments

1. Stuart says:

Right field by committee?

Stuart

Mark Madden is on the Lambo bandwagon.

That means I am officially off of it.

:-)

+ quite a few

4. Playoffs by 2012 says:

WEDNESDAY PICK ‘EM!!!

******PLEASE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW******
    PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier when I don’t have to hunt to find everyone’s “wagers”

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Today’s Pick ‘Em Line
    How Many RUNS Will CHARLIE MORTON Allow in Tonight’s Game
    ***Please note this is Allowed Runs NOT Earned Runs***
    0-1 (TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE ODDS)
    2-3 (EVEN ODDS)
    4-5 (EVEN ODDS)
    6-7 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    8 or More (TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE ODDS)

Please Note – All games must be considered official games in order for line(s) to be valid. Any postponement, cancellation, or suspension of game(s) will void line(s).

GOOD LUCK!!!

68 Down, only 14 more to go!!

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

I sure wish Greg would have asked Neal why he wasn’t here, since it isn’t a 40-man issue.

6. Bill Born says:

100 on the 4-5 line
    please
    thanks

7. The Gunner says:

Jay Hay is the man tonight – I support the move. Let’s hope for the best – he is definitely better than having Inge in RF.

I thought he did…sort of. And in his way NH ‘said’ Lambo still had things to work on (his swing) and they wanted to give Presly another chance

I may be wrong

But I would not be against AP getting a few more starts

9. JRay3 says:

Well chance tonight for the Pirates to win their 22nd series of the year, currently 21-12-3 on the 2013 campaign.

Couple of key things for me to watch tonight:

The importance for Charlie Morton to take a step forward, he has been a drag on the rotation his last few starts. He has given up four or more runs in three of his past five starts. He has allowed 19 hits in his last 11 innings of work.

Pedro Alvarez to get into a second half hot streak: El Toro only has 1 HR in his past 12 games and is hitting .181, 4-22 in his last six. The peaks and valleys of Pedro, hoping the triple he hit opposite field gap last night gets him re-going.

Garrett Jones? He has gone 15 games without a HR and is 7-38 during that stretch or .184. He admitted he was a guy who needed to pick it up and talked about him being a stronger second half player. Thus far his first half has been better than his second and that is troubling.

Jordy Mercer has certainly injected some life from an offensive standpoint to the SS position. He is 6-19, .315 in his last five starts. Lately, however his defense has become a little more suspect. Routine plays being mishandled, double play balls not being executed and not making the tough plays that could be made, something to keep an eye on.

100 bazookas on 2-3, thanks, Playoffs

11. JRay3 says:

To add to that I thought I heard Greg Brown say that NH accused him of sounding like a fan when he asked NH about Lambo.

It is apparent management is not fully sold on Lambo being able to make a difference or they feel they have guys already here they know and trust more and they want to give first opportunity to make it work.

You never know until you give the guy a chance

13. The Gunner says:

I think I read somewhere that Lambo is in some type of mini-slump. Almost like it is either a HR or an out, nothing in between. Maybe that is what NH is alluding to about Lambo needing to work on his swing.

He’ll definitely be here when the rosters expand in September.

14. Joey Mellons says:

100 So. Jersey cheesesteaks on 0-1 runs allowed. I need the trip trip triple odds. Lets go bucs.

15. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window. Great day for the Bucs to make it four straight!

Tough line tonight, and I broached below the importance for Morton to try and take a step forward. Have to go cautiously here.

25 on 2-3

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

I remember the issue coming up and NH said something very general and vague to the tune of, “He still has things he needs to work on.”

Actually that’s exactly what he said come to think of it.

17. Stickyweb says:

True dat Jandy. Does anyone else feel this is such a magical season so far (with J-Hey just the latest chapter) that if the Buccos do give Lambo a chance, he would come up and mash for the rest of the season? Even if he never amounts to anything for the rest of his career, this seems very possible.

18. Nate83 says:

I’m going with the cra-cra-crazy bid of 25 on 0-1. Thanks.

19. OZ says:

100 on 0-1!

Thanks

20. JHadar says:

DK: In the Game line above the records didn’t get updated from last night — or else Pirates site is wrong. 68-44 and 43-68

21. Stickyweb says:

Pirates Prospects said that, but I don’t think the stats they gave support it. He’s still hitting .250 in the time frame they used (while slugging .700! Wow!) Maybe .250 for a 2 week stretch is a slump for Miguel Cabrera, but for ordinary humans, it’s not too bad for the “down” times. Heck, Pedro’s been in a season long slump if that’s the case.

22. Bob Hasis says:

I think I agree with you, and I would like to ask, just what constitutes a chance and how many at bats would that be? And are we talking about that short-lived experiment last year that included McLouth and Tabby?

23. Stickyweb says:

I would usually agree with you two to disagree with MM, but let’s keep in mind everyone gets something right in their life, and he’s long overdue. Even a blind squirrel…

24. Stuart says:

Playoffs, 100 lengenfuehers on the 2 to 3 line please.

I am at zero and hoping to be plus for the first time in a long time!

Stuart

Sorry, I was just going with the description of this morning, which indicated that Walk asked him if he asked Neal the followup question after the 40 man issue was put to bed of why he wasn’t up, then. And the description I understood was Greg said he didn’t because Neal looked annoyed. Did not hear it myself, since like I said, I find Greg’s interviews of Neal meaningless.

there is a distinct possibility that could happen :)

27. Nate83 says:

But they do know more then we do. They have watched the guy for 6 years now and see him in practice and in games. He may have obvious holes in his swing that will be exposed at the major league level. All or nothing players do not translate well to the majors very often. Players like Jeff Clement and Brad Eldred have proven that. I think there is a better chance that Lambo ends up looking like a poor man’s Pedro Alverez then he does of being Jay Bruce or Carlos Belton.

Presley and Tabata’s combined stats are not that bad. They are only bad when you combine them with Snider’s.

Personally, I’m not losing any sleep over Lambo not being called up. I do lose sleep over Neal’s explanations and Greg’s interviews.

Still just talking for me, Plan.

I went to the Yankees/White Sox game last night.

I boo’d A-Rod. First player I have ever booed. For the record, I would not have booed David Wright.

And, just for Milo, I gave a respectful, polite applause for Lyle Overbay when he was announced as a pinch hitter.

30. Karen22 says:

They thought the same thing about Neil Walker….

68-44 and 43-68 is correct

32. Stickyweb says:

Playoffs,
    Since I’ll take just about anything for triple odds, and since Morton has done it exactly once in 8 of his non-rain delayed starts, I’ll take 0-1 runs for 100 please. He’s due I tell ya

33. Karen22 says:

50 on 2-3…and if he did that over 7+ innings I’d say he’s turned a corner.

34. Stickyweb says:

That’s strange Arriba, I usually gain sleep during Neal’s explanations and Greg’s interviews.

35. Oshkosh b’Gosh,

And here’s a polite one for you: clap-clap, clap-clap, clap-clap.

I would have paid to see you boo for the first time!

36. Dom says:

100 ON 0-1!!!

THANKS!!!

37. JHadar says:

Every win counts!

Thanks JAL

38. Johnny Ray III,

Good, cogent comments!

39. Stickyweb says:

So you’re saying the most home runs by a Pirate minor leaguer since Steve Pearce might not be the best omen, eh? :-) I see your point.

Regardless, if he keeps hitting 2 HRs a night, if Neal doesn’t give him the call, some fan might just storm the Pirate offices and put the paperwork through himself. Who’s with me?

40. Stickyweb says:

It’s just a gut feeling, and this time the Tums isn’t gonna help it.

41. Stickyweb says:

Seems like Jones is getting some bad luck as some of his hard hits are finding gloves. I know the announcers say that about almost every Pirate slump, but I think in this case it’s true.

42. Dom says:

I’m sorry, can I change that to 75 on 2-3. I thought this was the amount of home runs.

43. Lad9 says:

Lets go with 0-1 runs for 100 bacon beers please. Time to gamble. Thank you. Go Buccos!!

44. Stickyweb says:

68 wins has to be right, Playoffs has it displayed in the window. He couldn’t put it there unless it was right.

I will get you some Ambien.

I dont believe anything neal says anyway, so its all good.

I was at a game once in Forbes where some actually booed Roberto.

He was having an off year, only hit 299

47. Stickyweb says:

JohninOK, is it just me or are the Yanks going to fall apart since A-Rod joined the club? Not that they were doing too well anyway, but he’s such a distraction, if I were a gambling man, I might go against them the rest of the year.

48. Jason81 says:

100 on 2-3 runs, please!

“the description I understood was Greg said he didn’t because Neal looked annoyed.”

Surprises me that Brown would say that on the air

:-)

And it is usually Bob Walk that annoys Brown

50. He is squirrelly, I’ll give you that!

51. Nate83 says:

Can somebody please remind me why Tabata and Presley who are both hitting for better averages then our team average are the reason for the bad offense. That bad offense has actually not been that bad of late, averaging 4.5 runs per game and some of that could be attributed to contributions from our right fielders. Walker, Martin, Jones and Alverez all have batting averages worse then those two guys and only Alverez is making up for it with well above average power.

52. Lovely Karen,

Wise, wise, wise, wise, wise!!!

53. Patrick(ri) says:

Of all the players on the Cards and the Reds, the one who,IMHO, is the most underrated and scariest, is Jay Bruce. Look at today’s line score for evidence (2 runHR, 3 rbi & he threw a guy out at the plate in a 6-5 win).

Spot on. Completely uninspired team right now.

I almost physically hurt for Girardi the other day at that presser. He had to say all the right things even though you just knew that deep down he felt a completely different way.

55. Patrick(ri) says:

Because most of us see what we want to see.

56. JD says:

100 on 0-1 please.

Go Bucs!

57. Wide Receiver Nate,

Look at the ribbies.
    Look at the Runs scored.

Tabata recently has contributed to runs actually crossing the plate.

Don’t have a premature over 4.5 runs per game recently——the overall season production certainly is the team’s Achilles Heel.

58. Hal Smith says:

Fans I have to place 100 on the 4-5 line.
    I also agree with Karen about Walker…

Let’s go Bucs…

Oh I see no reason to spend 5 mill on a SS again…

59. Brandie says:

Such rational thoughts on the blog today. Good to see!

60. Rhode Island Red,

When Jay Bruce produces, it’s nice.

Yet the one I fear is Joey Votto. I fear Matt Holliday. I fear Carlos Beltran.

In the bottom of the 8th, I think I can pitch around Jay Bruce. I fear Votto, Holliday, and especially Beltran in the 8th or 9th, even though Jay Bruce might have bigger numbers.

61. Sisyphus says:

They were right about Neil Walker, and brought him up when he was ready. He hit well in his last three months at AAA, after totally sucking for the previous couple of seasons.

+1. Different strokes, my friend.

63. Sisyphus says:

.250 at AAA is about .190 in the majors. for a guy like Lambo.

Nevertheless, I think we’re going to be seeing him very soon.

64. Did your rock roll right over your memory?

Neil stated that Neal Walker would hopefully be a good utility man in the Majors who could play all over the infield.

BMTIB benched Walker for a game for not running out an called infield fly rule. AN INFIELD FLY RULE!

Neil Huntington did NOT like Neal Walker until Neal Walker forced his way onto the field after the fat Japanese chain-smoking 2nd baseman Free Agent that Oakland gave up on failed bigtime here!

Keep pushing that rock!

65. cosmo says:

let me have 100 on the 0-1 line please.

66. Nate83 says:

What does the entire season have to do with Tabata and especially Presley. Snider took most of those at-bats.

I’m not sure what the league average is for players batting 7th in the order but 26 runs in a little over 200 at-bats couldn’t be that bad. 17 RBI’s are low but Jones/Walker/Martin are not getting on in front of Tabata and Presley isn’t going to have many RBI chances when batting leadoff.

9:57 am this morning:

” AJS says:
    August 7, 2013 at 9:57 am
    Last night brown made a comment saying he asked NH if Lambo not being on the 40 man was the reason for him not being here already. NH said no, pointing to the fact that they actually have two sposts currently open on the 40 man.
    Walk asked brown if he then asked what the hold up actually is. Brown said he did not because NH was already shaking his head and telling him he was just like a typical fan.”

I commented, The Gunner commented. No one disagreed.

Just sayin’.

Huntington didn’t like Walker until Walker earned his playing time?

Travesty, I tell you!

Sheesh.

“most underrated”

Yeah, I’ll definitely agree with this.

Although I’m still pretty sure the only baseball fans around the league that really know how good Shin Soo-Choo is are the ones whose team tried to acquire him.

70. Nate83 says:

Well it must of rolled right over your memory as well. Walker had two sub par years in a row in the minors and many scouts outside the Pirates organization did not project him to be an everday major league baseball player. It was a fair evaluation at the time.

If traded before the year he finally got his chance he would not have been valued very highly by other teams GM’s. I get it that Walker is a local boy and people wanted to see him succeed. I think it really clouded peoples opinion of him at the time.

I’m happy he turned it around and is a contributing every day player. He isn’t doing much this year to make an arguement that he deserves a long term contract.

71. TCB says:

50 on the 2-3 line.

I think Bruce, after his first year, did not live up to expectations short term. I don’t follow the Reds, but I suspect that is why Bruce may not be getting the respect he might deserve. I can’t think of a more dangerous player than Votto.

73. Stickyweb says:

I understand .250 in AAA doesn’t equal .250 in MLB. My point is it seems like a stretch to say he’s slumping when he’s a .280-.290 hitter and he’s been hitting .250 for a couple weeks.

74. PirateFaninGA says:

I think Bruce is similar to Pedro, but probably a bit more consistent.

when he is on, he just dominates a game, but goes through rough patches.

Matt Carpenter is probably destined for the “underrated” category as well.

Took Neal Walker three years to get some outside attention, and Carpenter is basically a better version of him.

Doesn’t surprise me, Biz.

77. JHadar says:

Interesting question. And a couple of good answers so far.

I would add that a lot of fans compare our guys to what the ideal player for that position should be contributing. We get the notion that a right fielder should be a power hitter with a strong arm, even though PNC needs a stronger arm in left and a more prototypical leadoff hitter would let Marte hit in the second spot — where he belongs.

Tabata and Presley could both be good lead-off hitters IF (let me stress that: IF) they continue to develop. They’re not there yet — but Polanco if he’s the real deal that completes the outfield is probably looking at a little experience next year and a rookie season in ’15.

They’ll do in right field the same way Barmes and Mercer do at Shortstop and Jones and Sanchez do — not the feature attraction of the team — but not a big hole either. Making a contribution — and with a POSSIBLE (I did not say guaranteed) future upside. If I were an opposing GM I would find them both intriguing, but I wouldn’t be looking for them to carry a team.

78. Keith says:

100 on 2-3. I’ve got to get one right soon.

‘hopefully be a good utility man’

My memory ain’t so good. I remember the utility man part, but I don’t recall NH using the word ‘hopefully’.

And I am ready for DK to chime in with bold print any second now with : Are you guys really revisiting this topic AGAIN?

80. Dadtackular says:

100 Lambo’s on 2-3.

81. Dadtackular says:

I’m thinking Morton will pitch more effectively tonight with Martin behind the plate.

Didn’t Hurdle mention something his mechanics being a bit out of whack after his last start?

Hopefuly a trip to Dr. Searage did some good.

Right field is still a concern. I agree with a lot of the individual points, but there’s no denying right field is a concern. We don’t have the other power numbers to offset it. Remember, Drew Sutton hit a walk off Hit last year. I think for more teams than just us. Stuff happens. Harrison’s and Presley’s histories don’t give any indication they are long term answers. IMHO

84. Bob Hasis says:

This is a very astute entry, since I agree with all of it.

Mercer has injected life, JHay as I have long advocated is a perpetual sparkplug, and Presley just hustles and why complain of his offense, it’s 57 points higher than Barmes’, whose average has this blog really excited.

Jones has ripped the ball hard, with a lot of at em shots.

Pedro has enough power to go long anywhere, but when he rolls that left wrist over on an outside pitch, he looks very ordinary.

85. Patrick(ri) says:

I fear those guys, too. It just surprised me when Bruce has been having a really nice year, there was so much talk about, say, Phillips, when Bruce has better numbers in most categories. Votto is superb and wonderfully consistant — I recall defending his character and talent awhile back. On balance, perhaps Bruce is just on a temporary binge, but he looks like MVP material to me.

86. Brandie says:

Mr. Playoffs,

May I have 25 on the 2-3 line? Thanks.

87. bizrow says:

If I remember right, the papers said he took it pretty hard.

I just couldn’t believe it

88. Stickyweb says:

I could agree Bruce is the most underrated because he’s been pretty good for 5 years or so. But maybe more was expected as the 12th overall pick in the draft. A question: Would you be happy with Austin Meadows having the same career as Bruce? I certainly would.

But Votto is way, way scarier than Bruce. I don’t know if it’s just the Pirates domination of the Cards so far this year or what, but no Redbird really scares me that much. I’d rather not see Beltran or Holliday with the bases loaded late in a game, but both are past their prime, especially Holliday.

That’s what’s kind of funny. A lot of people think having those veterans means they have a proven history as a team, even if they’re on the downside of their careers, whereas none of the Bucs (other then probably Garret Jones) has hit his prime yet. Call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I like our position.

89. bizrow says:

The Starting Pitching holding up worries me more than the right field situation.

As for Locke last night, he had squirrely results, seemed like lots of eyeball hits, Baltimore chops, they put the ball in play in all the right places.

He didn’t do a meltdown

90. bizrow says:

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, W Melbourne
    France – Strasbourg
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Mason
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha, Lincoln
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE – added 5/21
    Oregon – Roseburg
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston, North Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Uzbekistan
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*

385 confirmed locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Bleier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    First Responders***
    23 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    8/7/2013 5:30 PM

They have a good team.

Good point (and AW) on Bruce’s expectations, and yeah, I’d be pleased as a peach if Meadows reached his level of play.

Joey Votto is the best hitter in the NL.

But I still think the Reds are going to struggle with the big contracts to him and Phillips once they’re on the wrong side of 30.

93. Brandie says:

No one wants to be the guy who derails the train when things are going so well. I think the problem with Jones is he is playing not to be that guy instead of making the necessary adjustments on offense.

Didn’t somebody try saying a couple weeks ago that they have four minor leaguers starting and are only good offensively because of GABP?

Whew, gonna have to pass on that round.

I’d be happy with that team, but Cueto going down was a big blow, and we have a much better manager.

97. JUCOFan says:

25 units on 0-1

I’m with you here, but only because the margin for error is so razor thin.

Starting pitching doesn’t just have to hold up, they have to stay lights out.

99. stickyweb says:

Charlie’s definitely overdue to have some decent defense behind him. That would help out along with throwing to Martin.

Very, very much agreed on the managerial advantage.

Why, Biz?

Early in his career, the media made fun of him, his teammates nearly shunned him, and fans who didnt understand him, booed him.

I am sure some of those media/teammates/fans never really changed their minds.

Quite sad.

Oh, what the heck…………..

Please give me 25 Hefty Hippos on the 0-1 line.

Thank you.

And A-Roid thanks you. ;)

103. pattonbb says:

Great point, Karen. Walker was just supposed to be a “4th outfielder”.

104. Bob Hasis says:

Yes those eyeball hits and Baltimore chops, plus a line drive right at Mercer’s feet which did not take a friendly bounce tended to make him look bad. I doubt that he was. Does anyone here think so?

Then he makes a very nice play in the hole and Pedro falls asleep.

Locke wasn’t all that bad either, considering this squirrelly offense.

105. Brandie says:

The thing is he did not let the miseducated, uninformed, uninspired, pi$$ poor opinions of others determine who he was going to be. His impression on me is, at the end of the day, to thine own self be true. Those who could not be over their willful ignorance, it’s the I loss.

106. pattonbb says:

100 on 0-1

I’m a sucker for a sucker bet.

107. Irish says:

25 on 0-1 please.
    Thanks!

Well said Brandimal.

I can relate.

only kids like Hippos.

;)

109. pattonbb says:

Fear no Red, Groat.

Actually, that “stuff” sounds good. Must be top-notch stuff!

The Great One was idolized with the 1971 WS and the manner of his death. He did become greater than life.

But I think it’s a mistake to pretend he wasn’t appreciated by most Pirate fans for most of his career here. He was Arriba Roberto and the Great One. There were minority pockets like what Biz described. But, having lived through it, I do believe those were minority pockets. I went to the ballpark to see him.

Oh agreed.

I am glad he didnt let the naysyaers early in his career derail him. By the ’60 Series even, he was idolized by many, and his legend kept growing.
    To the point of Pittsburghers being upset with the national media for almost ignoring him.

Oh agreed.

114. Brandie says:

I must be a big kid then. :-)

You said it!

Oh, before I forget…….. have fun in Altoona Friday. Stop off at the Mallo Cup factory shoppe before the game. :)

116. pattonbb says:

He wouldn’t be so “underrated” if he wasn’t one of the streakiest hitters in the NL. Bruce is going to give you 30hrs and 90 rbis every year. He’s also going to hit .200 for at least 2 months, every year.

He’s a nice player, but he plays for Dusty Baker. Which means he’s a Red. Which means he’s a bum.

I hate the Reds.

117. Brandie says:

Just goes to show you don’t need a bunch of me moments to make your presence felt.

4.99 ERA since July 1st. Just unlucky I guess.

119. pattonbb says:

There you go again….

120. Karen22 says:

I remember it well…the BMTIB had no faith in Walker. He came up out of NECESSITY and he proved them all wrong.

Gotta get a wager in. 100 units on the 2-3 line pleasse! I’ll try to pop in later on. Go Bucs!

122. Brandie says:

Can someone tell me if the overuse of steroids causes hemorrhoids? If so, A-Roid’s next endorsement deal should be with Preparation-H because he is giving us all great pains in the rear!

123. The Gunner says:

I thought it was a combination of everything that has been said here plus the fact that PRNW was from the Littlefield era.

That’s water over the dam. Let’s hope #18 has a big night tonight!!

124. bizrow says:

I was surprised that people would boo Roberto, he was hurt, and somewhat struggling.

By all accounts, that I’ve read, The Great One was a proud man

Best dam right fielder I ever saw

I was disappointed to be a burger that day

125. bizrow says:

It was one day

It was the 60′s

Thankfully the world has changed

126. Frankie says:

100 on 2-3

Thanks

127. bizrow says:

IMHO, AJ will keep Locke’s head on straight

Beats me?

But I give you a plus 1 Tucks for this!

Yeah, Milo’s a stickler for facts. :-)

Like JMac? sorry, it’s the elephant in the room.

Excuse me, those arent allowed here. ;)

Excuse me, those arent allowed here. ;)

133. War Horse says:

+++

134. pattonbb says:

I think he walks around popping children’s balloons in his spare time.

Morton vs Koehler tonight and less than 24 hours later Cole vs Fernandez.

The agony and the ecstasy.

136. Playoffs my friend, I would like to put down 100 on 2-3 runs tonight. Thanks.

137. Bob Hasis says:

My last comment on JHay; having seen that highlight so many times, I just came to realize how quickly he sprang out of the box – hoping for a double or a triple and getting the whole enchilada.

139. Brandie says:

Good Evening Temptress 22!

140. bizrow says:

No, JMac is a strange animal

I never saw him and AJ BSing in the dugout

Any idea on how long the rain delay will be ?

142. Brandie says:

Game to start at 7:40.

Thank You Blog Clock. ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He was like Locke last year, they were inseparable.

Yin to yang in my view. Be interested in other perspectives, because I don’t think, personally, there’s any doubt. But I ain’t perfect.

I’m not JJ. :-)

Thanks.

I get the game package on Time Warner. The screen just says “Rain Delay” while obnoxious music plays.

148. War Horse says:

+++

149. Brandie says:

I aim to please.

150. Brandie says:

How cool. Andrew McCutchen’s mother sings the National Anthem.

151. Nate83 says:

It’s just my opinion but 3 good months in the minors does not warrant just forgetting how average Walker was the previos two years in the minors. He was brought up at the appropriate time given a chance and got playing time as his play warranted. They hardly gave up on him. They moved him to a position that a player of his size doesn’t usually play. If anything they found a way to get him on the field.

How should he have been treated that year. Like a top 3 prospect in the system that had been successful at every level. I don’t even think he was a top 5 prospect coming into that year and he hadn’t been successful at each level. They treated him how all teams treat prospects that were the age and skill level he showed in previous years.

JMac is messed up in the head. Locke is not. Huge difference.

385 and counting! :)

POTD!

Hey! The Flying Nun made it tonight!

Welcome Sally Field.

Hey! The Flying Nun made it tonight!

Welcome Sally Field.

Just trying to point out that he stinks without saying he stinks.

Lol I’m on my smart phone cuz hubby is on e-bay. I’m slow as molasses on this thing

159. irishjim says:

nice start for charles

Tonight I’m hoping for the 3-loss win.

A very timely K for the 3rd out

162. Brandie says:

Checking out the weather your way. Hope you and the Hubster make it through okay. Don’t want my nun to fly away before I have a chance to meet yinz.

163. Brandie says:

Let’s here it for Vitamin K! :-)

It was raining cats n dogs a bit ago. Slowed a bit. Hubby’s helper called and said a tornado touched down in Claysburg a ways from where he lives. Scary stuff. Doesnt seem too bad here. Thanks for the concern Brandimal. <3

Hear hear!

:scratching my head:

This year has been pretty bad for weather your way, eh?

You need to up your “miracle” ability.

3 losses: marbles, mind, and mojo?

3 losses: marbles, mind, and mojo?

Did I miss twitter Tuesday again ?

Oshie, you NEVER miss twitter tuesday. ;)

Pedro with a nice gem in da field. :)

:D

what day is it John? John john john. C’mon you know what day it is!

It’s HUMP DAY! Woop woop!

A-Yeah-ah !!!

Woop Woop indeed.

177. Brandie says:

Let me know when she parts the Mon, turns Iron City Beer into something drinkable, and turns Frank Coonelly into a decent human being!

Indeed! More gems!

I love that commercial lol

The 3-loss win is a term coined by Hall Of Fame PG beat writer Charley Feeney. When your worst pitcher finally pitches a good game insuring he remains in the rotation & promptly loses the next three times out.

He’s in no danger of course, but this rotation has been so good I haven’t had a chance to use it yet. It’s a Hall Of Fame line from one of the greats.

181. stickyweb says:

And a 2.50 era before that. Averages out to better than average. But if you cherry pick some stats, you can say anyone stinks, with or without saying it. If he goes 6 scoreless innings tonight, I guess he’s Cy Young.

182. Brandie says:

And more Pink Hearts, Orange Stars, Yellow Moons, Green Clovers, Blue Diamonds, Purple Horseshoes, Red Balloons, Rainbows, Pots of Gold….

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah…gems.

Go Russell. Heck Of a CS. PEDRO!!!!!!!

Like I said, sticking to the facts. :-)

Thanks for the lesson Mr. Milo!

Brandie, she is only a nun.

Lower those expectations, girl, and #3 is impossible! ;)

Stinks.

Thanks Milo.

I think my 3 losses more adeptly describe this blog. ;)

But they were both on AJ’s elbow all year. JMac last year, Locke this year. My only point. It’s the fact, Jack. :-)

Was Hechavarria charged with an error on that Martin AB ? Actually keeping score at home (geek alert!). I dinn’t catch it when they went to break with the line score.

Loved seeing the replay of JHay’s walk off from last night. I’ve never seen anyone get moving after hitting the ball than JHay did!

The flying pig and Dikembe Mutumbo ones are good too.

Never mind. Just got it.

You have been hitting the “lucky charms” again, havent you?

And the owls. Who?

Petey is hot tonight!

Can’t wait for the end of the game.

plead the fifth, Brandimal!

198. Patrick(ri) says:

Looks like Charlie has his “guitar tuned good ” tonight.

199. Lad9 says:

Good evening to my favorite looney bin. Looks like ground Chuck is most definitely on the menu tonight!

200. Brandie says:

I don’t think so, as your 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates have proven…Nothing Is Impossible!

I’m sorry guys. I should have thrown up the :) after the last one. This all in fun.

Who are you talking about?

Lets just hope he doesnt get “cooked”. :)

204. Brandie says:

I inhaled, but I did not smoke! Tony Bosch is my hook up!

205. Brandie says:

LAAAAAAAADDDDDD MAAAAAAANNNNN!

206. stickyweb says:

Shelby Miller just got knocked out of their game when the first batter hit a line drive off him (literally). I didnt see it but it could be a lot tough break for the Cards.

and the legend of Biogenesis Brandie marches on………..

LLLAAADDDD!!!!!! The RRRAAADDDD one!

Is it ok if I do a little happy dance???

210. Brandie says:

Prayers to Shelby Miller. I want the Cards torn up, just not in that way.

I thought you would answer “the owls”.
    To which I would respond, “who”?

Sheesh………….

Oh man I hope he isn’t hurt too bad. I spoke in jest…but maybe too soon.

213. Brandie says:

Mmmmm! Cooked Ground Chuck!

214. Lad9 says:

Yep. We want Chuck to do the grilling tonight, not vice versa. And with the ground chuck maybe he could serve an ice cold Koehler beer, “the treat that can’t be beat”, made with the Dutch touch by uncle Jackson. Although this Koehler on the mound seems to want to shut off the tap. My goodness!

215. Brandie says:

Save your happy dance for the injury report.

that could go on all night, Hipposter! :P

Remember, Koehlers are toilets also.

Good Point.

wow, I better sharpen up my nun skills!

220. Brandie says:

You should write commercials for a living. Now I want beef and beer. Thanks man!

Well, Drew already has bacon beer.
    Why not beefy beer?

222. Lad9 says:

Brandie!! Jandy!! Hippo!! Hail, hail the gangs all here!! Very cool.

223. Brandie says:

How about Bionic Brandie? I was rebuilt by the blog to be a stronger, faster smart a$$!

224. JRay3 says:

Pretty big news in St Louis tonight as Cardinals starter Shelby Miller left game after two pitches as he was hit by line drive on elbow. Their pen will be asked to cover all nine innings tonight.

A lot of folks holding their breath out in St Louis.

;)

LOL!

Gang? More like motley crew.

228. irishjim says:

charles doing his best to keep that ERA climbing….we need Wandy back

229. Patrick(ri) says:

Pretty slick release by Mercer.

230. Charlie’s guitar breaking some strings now. Fish up 1-0 and no one out and 1st and third. Kohler throwing tons of Ks tonight should get his career high next inning and now, fish up 2-0.

231. JRay3 says:

Morton has now allowed 25 hits in his last 15 innings of work.

On a brighter note it was reported Wandy Rodriguez threw off a mound today, was pain free and is slated to throw a bullpen Saturday.

232. Brandie says:

We make one hellacious gang…A NINO (Nun In Name Only), A Cart Pulling Hippo, A Muppet on a chain for everyone’s safety, and a guy who probably looks like Bird Man in a suit. I would be scared or highly amused.:-)

4th inning and Ground Chuck gives up 2 runs. Who will be coming in from the Pen? or will Charlie rebound the 5th inning?

234. Brandie says:

Dang. Playing from behind again. Dink and dunk hits.

That IS good news on Wandy :)

236. Lad9 says:

Just saw it. That was nasty. Hope the young man is ok.

I’m a proud member of this Crue!

238. florida steeler says:

5 inning Charlie didn’t make five tonight. Why not start Wilson over this guy??? Huntington attempting to prove he made a wonderful trade for Morton?? Forget it–onr time through the order is all he is good for.

CUTCH!!!!!

CUTCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

241. Cutch once again putting this team on his back. 2-1 now.

242. JRay3 says:

Cutch started the comeback last night, and starts it off again tonight. He is carrying this team on his back, willing them on.

Easy for you to say!

I am the one pulling your a$$es around in the cart!!!

+ a whole bunch!

But you love it!

That smack off the elbow of Miller looked painful !

247. Lad9 says:

M V P!!

248. DJ says:

Is there any doubt that when McCutchen goes to the right side, instead of trying to pull the ball, he is much a better hitter — for both power and average? Had he had done this from the beginning of the season, he would be hitting .340 and have an extra 20 RBI as well.

Jay Bell needs to tackle him if he ever reverts to his late 2012 or early 2013 form.

249. Lad9 says:

Birdman!! I had to look him up. LOL I am a lot paler and poorer, but I do have more hair.

250. I highly agree DJ. Been saying that to myself since at least last year.

251. Lad9 says:

+ many. Very proud!

Nice 5th inning for Charlie :)

I do? ;)

254. Brandie says:

Totally agree.

Who? ;)

YOU know! :P

257. Lad9 says:

My sentiments exactly. When Cutch hits to all fields the power comes naturally.

Really reaching, huh?

Yes indeed, you DO! ;)

260. Jonathan says:

Westbrook getting touched up by the Dodgers. 3-0 with 2 men on in the second

We know.

Yup, JHay definitely is an ENERGY guy!

Who am I to argue with a nun?
    I dont want :thwapped:

LOL! You love that too!

265. Patrick(ri) says:

Steal home! He did it at Indy.

266. Brandie says:

I have never been part of a Crue! I am proud and honored!

267. I’m with Milo. Stinks.

Cherry pick the last few games.

Chuckles helps himself!

Ty ballgame.

Woah! A hit for Charlie!!!!

270. Lad9 says:

I thought of that too! :)

271. irishjim says:

glad to see him helping his cause!

Down Girl……………

Woop!

Now 3-2 good guys.

How did Marte NOT get hit there??

Now 3-2 good guys.

How did Marte NOT get hit there??

Dang, just missed his head!

Who? The Camel? ;)

THAT would have been NASTY!

Any offense from the 9 spot is a great bonus!!! :)

Marlins TV announcers talking about how loud it is in PNC Park.

They said that a Marlins outfielder said it was so loud yesterday that the OFers had to use hand signals to communicate positioning.

281. JMB says:

That woulda been a toof buster!

WOOP!

283. Brandie says:

Who is Ty Ballgame? He sounds cute!

Indeed!

That is awesome.

That is awesome.

Gotta love it!

ZING!

Ty Ballgame is Ty Wiggington’s third cousin by way of A-Roids former ex’s GF.

290. Dadtackular says:

Dodgers 6-0 over Cards in 2nd.

Woop!

292. JRay3 says:

So happy for him, has contributed a few different ways the past two nights. Certainly a big upgrade from Inge.

Walker making Koehler work

Hippo Taxi!

LOL

295. Brandie says:

Your Nunsense?! Is that like Spidey Sense?!

296. JRay3 says:

Could be great opportunity to pick up another game- if team does so they would have their largest lead atop Central all season…..2.5 games up has been Hugh water mark.

297. Brandie says:

Tire him out!

One game at a time. Smash 82!

299. Only a double and a single and one RBI for Lambo so far tonight. No HR’s yet.

Better keep J-Hay in right for now.

;)

Mercer for Pres. ;)

301. Dadtackular says:

I’m sorry, i didn’t hear you florida….

woah, nice defensive play by Jordie!

OK I think I get Charlie now…

It takes him 4 innings to warm up ;)

305. JRay3 says:

Umm five inning Charlie has actually not only made it five but has now made it six. Hmmmm.

Wait, didnt someone say Charlie didnt make it out of the fifth inning?

Or are my meds really slowing me down tonight?

307. JRay3 says:

Jordy with the superb play at SS, Morton with two K’s in the sixth as he has settled backdown.

Anyone heard from Florida Steeler?

Dont jinx him. ;)

And Good Evening.

309. Lad9 says:

Definitely. I was at a game once where it was so quiet that Ken Grffey was listening to conversations I swear. Nice change. Go Bucs fans!

310. Lad9 says:

Koehler flushed!!

ZING!

313. Lad9 says:

Evening Lucky!

I heard some static a bit earlier…

315. Bob Hasis says:

It’s time for Pedro!!!

316. JRay3 says:

Cutch showing off all of his tools tonight!

SB by Cutch :)

318. JHadar says:

Well, we’re into their bullpen now and with a slim lead…

If it holds up and LA continues to bash the St.L bullpen (hate to see an injury even to rivals) we’ll have a 3 game lead. All we need to do is pick up one more on the Cards before next Tuesday and we go into the series with them guaranteed to still be in first place when it’s over.

They have the Cubs and we have the Rockies next. Who knows? But nice to think about … after we nail this one down of course.

That was the squeaky wheel from the cart I use to haul all your a$$es around.

Carry on. ;)

Yes…first things first!

Proud Wisconsin company !

322. Lad9 says:

He is on a religious blog complaining that the Pope isn’t holy enough.

323. Lad9 says:

They have managed to stay afloat while their product swirls the drain. :)

Except in Oakland. ;)

Whistling Straits ?

Saw the PGA there. One on my sporting highlights. Haven’t played it yet.

+++ this entire thread lol

328. Patrick(ri) says:

Are we out of the 5th, yet.

And a nice 7th inning for Charlie :)

331. JRay3 says:

And a perfect 1-2-3 7th for Charlie Morton, who turns in a nice bounce back performance.

The Marlins announcers are in the midst of a two day love Fest re McCutchen.

Yesterday they wouldn’t stop talking about The Catch. Or The Hit.

Today they repeatedly show his HR.

Now they just put up a graphic of their picks for the top five NL players…hitting stats. McCutchen in the graphic.

Then they spent three-four minutes explaining why McCutchen equals or outdoes the other four and why, because of his defense at a more important position, MCCUTCHEN SHOULD BE THE NL MVP.

They spent another minute defining V for Valuable (to the team) as proof that Andrew HAS to get it.

MARLINS announcers.

sounds like a FISH story ;)

By the way. For those who were worried about Charlie coming out for the seventh, he just put down three more to make 12 in a row.

That stat courtesy of the Pirates new, biggest fans, the Marlins announcers.

Ha! Not even the Pope drinks milk and Craps ice cream ;)

It is obvious that florida steeler isnt a Fish announcer!

Well done Chuck.

But I was told he came out in the 5th?

339. The Gunner says:

Ha ha Milo. You are showing your age.

340. Lad9 says:

Lambo does!

Actually, I mocked it earlier, but Cole and Fernandez would be so lucky to do as well as Morton and Koehler did tonight.

That’s baseball.

Glasnow has 12 strikeouts in 5 innings tonight. Gave up 4 runs on six hits though.

I thought I had a pretty clever retort, but I always think I’m clever. I know there isn’t universal agreement on that point. :-P

Major championship golf in person is really one of my favorite things.

+ a million

346. Lad9 says:

Time for the shark tank!

If it was any less scoring, it would be That’s Soccer.

348. Chuck H says:

two innings in a row we had a runner on second with less than two outs and did not score.
    Still not hitting with RISP.

349. Jay H says:

Anyone familiar with MLB blackout rules? I’m in Florida. I usually watch the Pirates on ROOT Sports via MLB.tv, however when the Pirates play the Marlins ROOT Sports gets blacked out down here and we have to watch the Marlins broadcast on FOXFlorida. No problem, I still get to watch the Pirates, just have to listen to the Marlin’s announcers.

The Marlins announcers just said tomorrow’s game will not be televised (by FOXFlorida)…. but it is being televised by ROOT Sports – so am I out of luck? Will ROOT Sports still be blacked out in Florida even if FOXFlorida is not showing the game?

350. twentytwo22 says:

5 outs to go

I’ll see your million and raise it a gazillion.

Excellent.

353. Brandie says:

Revvie! Good to see ya!

354. twentytwo22 says:

4 outs to go

Uh oh. A soccer joke. Now Thunder will be too intimidated to talk soccer.

356. Tom P. says:

Two innings in a row the Pirates have had a runner on second with less than two outs and haven’t moved him a foot. They sure don’t make it easy on themselves.

357. twentytwo22 says:

3 outs to go

4 stinking hits. And one of those by Charlie.

359. twentytwo22 says:

Watson takes a hold on the 8th inning. 1-2-3.

360. Brandie says:

Remember… Isaly’s!

361. twentytwo22 says:

Our offense is McCutchen and cross your fingers 7 times.

This is the second consecutive game in which the MARLINS announcers are drooling over the Pirates’ bullpen.

Both games, they went to a sideline reporter who presented a story re the Shark Tank.

Yesterday the Marlins reporter asked Marlins’ bullpen pitchers what they want to pick for THEIR nickname since the Pirates have the Shark Tank.

Really.

363. Lambo watch:

2 doubles, a single and 2 RBI for the slumping, left-hand hitting, 25-year old outfielder first baseman.

He and J-Hay would be a nice platoon in right.

And no, I’m not jumping on the Harrison band wagon after that walk-off. I’ve liked the kid since he was acquired.

Just not his defense.

My comment about soccer would just be deleted

365. That’s because he’s a Florida native. Probably and SEC fan, too.

366. twentytwo22 says:

3rd time is a charm

I’m pretty sure you will get blacked out, Jay. I seem to recall that happening when Milwaukee Fox Sports similarly did not televise an afternoon game with the Pirates. I was unable to watch it even though Root was carrying the game.

Do they think Lambo should be called up too?

The Dunk Tank?

The Dunk Tank?

Who’s this Walker fella? I don’t recognize him.

Pirates = winners

Marlins = not winners

373. Probably because they’re 43-68, not 68-44.

Enjoy it, Drew. At least it’s not Cub announcers on WGN.

They’re talking about mcCutchen again. Hitting .360 at PNC, they shared.

This is getting embarrassing.

375. MadTurk says:

Go fish tank

376. JRay3 says:

Yes you will still be blacked out tomorrow even if Marlins are not broadcasting game. Per MLB blackout rules no broadcast is permitted to air or be picked up on extra innings, MLB.tv in the home team market.

So this is what Forbes Field’s infield looked like. Ouch.

378. JRay3 says:

Lucas is lucky he is able to get back up on his two feet on that rip and hop off the bat of Cutch.

379. Jay H says:

Well then maybe I’ll drive over to Disney and watch the GCL Pirates against the GCL Braves at noon

380. twentytwo22 says:

SACRIFICE FLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be some call up from Indy ;)

382. twentytwo22 says:

first pitch, Pedro ready to hit.

383. JRay3 says:

El Toro with RBI #73 on the 5th sac fly of this home stand. Big insurance run.

384. Lad9 says:

Shades of Tony Kubek!

Hey, thanks for sending me your thunderstorms. ;)

I love these Marlins announcers.

Not because of the love they’re showing McCutchen.

They have a schtick where they take email questions from fans.

Yesterday some old guy named Chris emailed to them, and they read it, that they should stop gimmicks like taking these questions and just announce old school baseball.

They made fun of Chris all night.

Every time they ran a special story, sideline reporter or something, they said this was for Chris. Then they read his email again.

I love these guys.

But let’s face it. The Pirates announcers don’t exactly set the highest bar.

387. JRay3 says:

Meadows and McGuire are both raking down with the GCL Pirates.

388. JD says:

Same thing happens to me. I have Directv package. I live in Toledo though, so I have to go thru this whenever we play the Reds, Tigers, or Indians. Luckily we don’t play Indians or Tigers much, but those Reds announcers are AWFUL. Anybody that complains about our TV guys should be sentenced to 60 hrs of listening to those clowns (and 1 lame cowboy).

You’re welcome ;)

Is that what is referred to as a bromance?

Could be worse.

The wooooooooooooooos have returned to PNC Park.

392. stickyweb says:

2.57 era since Aug. 6…hey this cherry picking is fun

My power goes out in a sprinkle, let alone this………

394. Lad9 says:

It is so nice to have him back and healthy and playing really well. He has done a lot of subtle things that have meant a lot, especially on the bases. I suspect that more than a few runners would have not advanced to third on that shot off of Lucas and we would not have scored. He is the real deal again!

395. Jay H says:

Marlins announcers love the Pirates….you’d have a hard time believing they are the opposition

The Marlins TV just ran yet another sidebar on the Shark Tank.

397. Dadtackular says:

or even woooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrsssse

398. Brandie says:

Crank that Hippo Generator!

+++++++

Our announcers are busy announcing winning baseball…this year

If they do a sidebar on the “Poodle Tank”, be worried.

If they do a sidebar on the “Poodle Tank”, be worried.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:D

Oooohh Yeeeaaahhhh!!!! Nice Walker, Nice :)

Presley. The glove is for catching.

It is not a defensive tool to block balls.

Miss Indianapolis, do you?

406. Brandie says:

They might be getting paid on the side by the Bucco Brass!

Another miracle.

Just another night at the ol ballyard!!! :)

C’mon, Great White Shark…close it out!

409. JRay3 says:

Behind the bat and arm of Charlie Morton who pitches seven solid innings and helped his cause with an RBI single, a solo shot from Cutch, a late sac fly from Alvarez and the 7th save for Melancon, the Bucs take the middle game and the series from the Marlins 4-2 and there was noooooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Bucs are a season best 25 above .500 at 69-44, improve to 8-2 on this 11 game home stand and are 4-2 in August. The Pirates have a shot to move a season best 3 games up in the Central if the Dodogers hold onto their big lead and will be 11 or 12 games up for a playoff spot.

The Pirates winners of 22 series this year, will go for the sweep and their fifth straight win tomorrow when Gerrit Cole takes the mound

Walker is taking OVER this game.

The Marlins announcers are besides themselves.

Inspired baseball.

412. Patrick(ri) says:

This certainly looks like the year.

Honestly. The announcers just said and tomorrow’s game, more Andrew McCutchen”

RAISE THAT JOLLY HIPPO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

415. Lad9 says:

Raise it. WOOOOOOOOOO,!

RAISE IT!!!

++++++++++++++++++

418. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

+++++++++++++++

420. Raise it once again! Get the win again tomorrow!

421. Brandie says:

You know it’s something special when the opponents announcers get Bucco Fever! If it indeed a disease, I don’t want the cure!

He IS awfully white, isn’t he?

(am i allowed to say that?)

Alright. Now let’s get a rainout tomorrow & play it sometime in September when they’ve shut Fernandez down. :)

424. Jay H says:

Ha Ha. Marlins’ announcer; “Shark week continues in Pittsburgh”

425. Lad9 says:

He is making a huge difference. As much I have liked him from the start, I never figured he would be this good defensively.

Perfect!

LOL!

I’ve been raggin on him, I guess I’ll have to stop lol

429. Lad9 says:

++++++++++++

Yes! and yes. I like the new nickname if I say so myself

Not only are they America’s team, they’re South Florida’s team.

Night all.

I am stuck up the flagploe again.

Noon game tomorrow.

GO PIRATAS!!!

OK Loonies, I am off to bed to dream of shark tanks…night :)

434. Dadtackular says:

ROOT sports announces Charlie Morton is player of the game. Someone let Florida “5 inning” Steeler know!

435. Brandie says:

So Appropriate!

436. Brandie says:

Sleep well, Jolly Roger!

That’s the seventh consecutive inning in which the Marlins don’t score off the Pirates bullpen.

That stat thanks, of course, to the Pirates’ newest, biggest fans.

438. Jay H says:

We’re blacked out down here in Florida tomorrow. Keep the ship on course

439. twentytwo22 says:

3 unearned runs for St. Louis in the 5th. 7-3 Dodgers.

“It’s a tough day, anytime you’re playing in an atmosphere like Pittsburgh.”

Guess who said that.

On Marlins Television. (Too much of a hint?)

441. Lad9 says:

Good night!

Dee Gordon Liddy !

The Marlins announcers just announced that they are going to stop covering the Fish.

They are gonna start carrying Pirates games for the rest of the season.

Exactly.

The Marlins announcers are singing We Are Familee

446. Lad9 says:

I so missed his positive spin tonight.

Andrew.

Vladimir Putin?

449. rvfcprez says:

I live near Nashville, TN and for some odd reason, they think that the Reds are a local team for Nashville so I’m stuck with the Reds announcers and it is very painful. It really annoys me that they can’t pronounce Alvarez or Sanchez’s names right, how hard is it?

450. cmat0829 says:

maybe they have Cole-mania too? we’ll see tomorrow.