On location: Giants 18, Steelers 13, preseason

Looking ahead to kickoff …

Game: Steelers vs. New York Giants, preseason opener for both

Time: 7:35 p.m.

Site: Heinz Field

TV, radio: KDKA, WDVE-FM, ESPN Radio 970

Here is the official live summary.

Here is our Steelers page. Alan Robinson, Mark Kaboly, Ralph Paulk and I are here.

UPDATE 6:55 p.m.: Sneak peak at visiting player intros tonight …

Comments

1. Brandie says:

Finally, televised football…in pads yet!

2. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I notice a good number of Nutting Regime-ites are chattering about the Steelers having a bad season AND having the worst team in Pittsburgh.
    A little early for such predictions, but none the less….
    Strange and unusual…..

DK: The insecurity of some of Pittsburgh’s baseball fans — some, not all — is just overwhelming. Honestly, I asked one football question last night on Twitter and was instantly besieged by people whining about how dare I talk about anything other than Pirates.

Funny that hockey fans don’t have that same reaction in the same circumstance.

Anyway, enough of that. This thread is for football.

I will be looking forward to Le’Veon Bell’s performance tonight. I expect a lot of first-down rushing plays. Perhaps all of the first down plays will be rushing plays? The rushing game will have to be established if the Steelers expect to win consistently. Roethlisberger will need a productive rushing offense to flourish as the marquis QB he is.

One thing that I love about the NFL is that recently drafted players can be major contributors to the success of a team in their rookie season. Bell has that opportunity. I am optimistic that the Steelers will be a playoff club this year. Bell will need to be a major part of that if my optimism is to be realized.

Unfortunately, Eddie Lacy was nursing an injury and did not play last night for the Packers. Many prognosticators had the Steelers picking Lacy. Instead they went with Bell. Both organizations are going to have to rely on their rookie backs to be major parts of their offenses. It will be fun to compare the two this season and see if the Steelers’ talent evaluators were correct with their selection.

DK: Yeah, but Lacy’s been a hit for Green Bay so far. That alone, in the long term, will be interesting to follow. The Steelers were hardly the only team that blew off Lacy.

* Daq, can you tell us where you are hearing/reading these ‘good number of Nutting Regime-ites are chattering about the Steelers having a bad season AND having the worst team in Pittsburgh.’ ?

*what happens on twitter stays on twitter. I try to live it everyday

DK: Football, please.

Oh, the game is live on NFL Network tonight for those of us not in the Pittsburgh market.

6. Vette60 says:

Thanks for the reminder – I will tune-in for at least a bit to see what shakes out of the first few series. Looking forward to seeing Jones at LB.

Randy in RVA

7. Sid Sorokin says:

Can anyone really see the ‘lers winning more than 8 games (at best)? Colbert magic seems to have worn off, not replacing our vets with better talent like we used to, Ben is never guaranteed to start all 16 and our defense isn’t dominant enough to win without him, Ike hasn’t been the same since demarius Thomas big boy’d him in bronco playoff (we signed wrong cb to long term contract!). I hope I’m wrong, but I see 1980′s steelers football for the next several years as the franchise is most likely not to pull the plug on tomlin.

As long as we have Ben, no 80′s football.

Sid:

11. @Cleveland W 8-3
    12 @Baltimore L 8-4
    13. Miami L 8-5
    14. Cincinnati W 9-5
    15. @Green Bay W 10-5
    16. Cleveland W 11-5

This is how I see it. You always win one on the road you shouldn’t. I have Green Bay for that game. You always seem to lose one at home you shouldn’t. I have Miami for that. But you can flip it and have them beating Miami at home and losing to Cincinnati the next week and still have the same record. Possibly lose to both the Jets and Ravens in weeks 5 and 6 but still finish 9-7 and a possible WC.

10. Sid Sorokin says:

That’s the point, he’s no guarantee at his age and injury history to play at a high level, we stuck with terry and noll too long and threw away the 1980′s.

11. Sid Sorokin says:

It’s tough to pick games at the beginning of season, not a lot of empirical value add to that. Bottom line is this team has less talent than last year, position by posituob, and their division and opponents look stronger.

12. Ghost says:

In the past decade, this Steeler team has always bounced back strongly after missing the playoffs. I’m optimistic and flat out expect the playoffs.

Speaking of “playoffs,” the sports gods were smiling down on us and scheduled the Week 5 bye for the Steelers knowing that a certain different sport will still be underway in these parts during that time. ;)

13. Ghost says:

The Ravens lost their Pitta and Ray Lewis, the heart and soul their franchise. I think they also lost Boldin, as well as a defensive back. Ravens are definitely weaker. Steelers are not necessarily weaker. If Jones and Thomas can play well their first year, if Polamalu has a rebound year, the defense could be surprisingly stout. Mike Wallace and all the receivers were MIA last year. I actually think they’ll be less flashy but more nuts-and-bolts productive, this year. But it always comes back to the defense. If they play well, the whole team rebounds.

14. Ghost says:

I was not living in the States for the end of Noll’s tenure, so I can’t comment on the twilight of his tenure. But Bradshaw was gone after ’83, so the 80′s aren’t his fault. Mark Malone would have been a good one if only he hadn’t been injury plagued. As for Bubby and the rest, well, I’ll leave their reviews to others.

15. Sid Sorokin says:

I’m worried generally about Tomlin’s head coaching ability. He inherited a great squad and great qb, but he hasn’t brought much added value. He outsources both the defense and offense, isn’t know for his meticulous preparation (a la Tom Coughlin), isn’t an x’s and o’s wiz and his game day management has been suspect. What if Mark Madden is right and all he’s known for is cliches and empty platitudes?

16. Ghost says:

With you on Ben, AW. The 70′s Super Steelers had Mean Joe and Franco and Terry, the two Jack’s, and a lot more. But this era is Ben’s.

We stuck with a 4 time Super Bowl Quarterback too long until 1983, his last year? Interesting take (which I disagree with). And Ben is 31, the same age as Bradshaw when he won his 4th SB in 1979 as the MVP. Sorry, I disagree with your POV on Ben and Bradshaw.

I see a late 90′s era if anything. A couple of down years, followed by returning back to normal Steeler standards.

19. Ghost says:

Sid,
    I’m generally more optimistic about Tomlin as well. But this season will be a telling one. I think that if Tomlin is to be considered a great coach, it will be for what he does going forward. All the winning he has accomplished until now is no small feat, mind you. But as you say, he did inherit the talent.

20. pattonbb says:

Not going to see Le’Veon Bell tonight. He’s out with a sore knee.

All the HOFers retired, Bradshaw got hurt, the draft picks didnt work out too well.

That being said, Noll led the Steelers to the 1984 AFC Championship with Malone at QB, and Thornton as RB. That alone should have put him in the conversation for Coach of the Year.

Dang.

23. JMB says:

With a team in transition, pre-season is always fun.

Let’s see what some of these new dudes can do!

Seriously ? Ugh.

25. Ghost says:

I’ll take that over the ’80′s. If that’s what we’re doing, I just hope we reload with top-tier talent a little bit faster this time around.

26. pattonbb says:

I know. Was looking forward to seeing him play.

27. Sid Sorokin says:

I saw Mark Malone play, the man had no heart. Maybe it would have worked out if he hadn’t been hurt so many times, but it’s impossible to say what the outcome would have been. The point is we could wait a long time for another franchise qb.

Yeah, I was just doing it for fun. I know injuries, etc. are going to be there and change the circumstances. It’s hard to tell now what will happen.

I just have a feeling they are going to bounce back and be better this year. Probably irrational, I know.

29. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Thunder…..I’m not going to direct you to those comments (though I could).
    I guarantee you that I have better things to do than make this up.
    I’m not putting words in DK’s mouth….But apparently it rang a bell with him too.

30. Lad9 says:

I had been worried about Tomlin too Sid, but your comment just made me feel a lot better. Specifically, when you said “what if Mark Madden is right”. Unless it is hockey, I like my chances on the opposite side of his ledger. Thank you!

We will see.

This year I see an aging defense, no WR’s, huge question mark at RB.

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Well damn, there goes another part of the “sports-only” talk, huh?

33. Sid Sorokin says:

Ben is still performing at a high level, but look how long it took us to replace Terry! That’s my point, sorry it came out choppy. Noll should have left with Terry.

34. Bob Hasis says:

Also Mel Blount, Mike Wagner, the Curtain, Swann and Stall and a lot of potential starters for other teams, but we sheltered them on our “taxi squad” without free agency interfering

35. Sid Sorokin says:

1984 Steelers weren’t that good. That’s what happens when you go from Franco to Abercrombie. They were aging like you indicate, and the division was super weak.

36. Sid Sorokin says:

Ravens reloaded nicely on defense with Elvis. And we replace Harrison with Foote and Worilds!

DK: Ummmmmm … and the first-round pick?

But you are missing the Point!!!

Noll still took them to the AFC Championship game!

Nice goal line stand by the D after the botched punt.

39. pattonbb says:

Victor Cruz is a good dancer.

Curse you Victor Cruz. 57 yard touchdown reception from Manning.

I think the Steelers were in the nickel and looked like they had pretty good coverage.

41. TJ says:

Couple things of note quickly…

-Nice to see the Steelers defense in mid season form; missed tackles and wide open receivers

-Nice job by Howling running with the first team

-I think I have seen more tackles by Mundy tonight than I did all last season

-Only thing worse than the quality of the play in the pre-season is listening to Pompeani; he mentions that they were going to talk about 2 tight ends that the steelers brought in after injuries…. still waiting for that to be mentioned

Has anyone heard of the TE’s the Steelers brought in for a look?

42. TJ says:

Oh god lets not start with the Eddie Lacy comparisons already.

Do we compare every one we drafted ahead of Tom Brady?

I would give Lacy the edge just because of his OL alone.

43. TJ says:

Jeezus Gradkowski looks scared sh*tless out there

44. Sid Sorokin says:

Not sure if I’d put him in Elvis’s class yet, DK.

Yeah, David Carr seems like a solid backup though. Two first round picks at QB on your depth chart aint too shabby.

Jason Worilds came to play and impress tonight.

47. Sid Sorokin says:

eh. I don’t know. Won a bad division at 9-7, had a bye, squeaked passed elway, got creamed by marino. is that really something to be proud about?

48. Sid Sorokin says:

They look lousy boys. Jones got a fumble recovery. Whoop dee do.

beats being 3-13, eh?

;)

But seriously, that is a bummer

51. twentytwo22 says:

August classic.

52. Tj says:

Special teams!! Will they fire the coordinator again?

53. Brandie says:

Game does not worry me as this is only preseason. How many of these people will actually make the team?

54. Tj says:

He got it because the RB sat on the ball.

1/2, Brandie.

true dat

The refs have sure noticed him. :-)

58. Tj says:

Special teams coach does

59. Tj says:

Our best depth might be at punter

Ha! I posted that after his sack because I thought he was playing well. Then he went all bat a** crazy and ticked Tomlin off with his ridiculous play.

61. Tj says:

Nothing better than a meteorologist doing sideline reports.

62. Tj says:

Landry looks like a 38 year old Charlie Batch. No zip on the ball

63. Sid Sorokin says:

someone remind me of the added value tomlin brings? this is preseason, but except for LSH, completely uninspired. Can’t wait to hear the press conference. With the soft, steeler loving media in this town, I’d say it will be week 12 of 2019 season before tomlin is on hot seat.

64. Sid Sorokin says:

100% agree.

;-)

66. Brandie says:

Maybe he will find a bridge…

nice TD

68. Steelag70 says:

They really like the Robinson kid…

Better than Lacee Collins ?

70. Ghost says:

I stopped watching the game part way through the second quarter — these games mean nothing as contests; they are trials for individual players and coaching schemes. But it didn’t surprise me that it was William Gay in coverage who let Cruz blow by him for the long touchdown strike. Teams will lick their chops and target the poor guy every time they see him out there. Always did, always will.

71. tomp says:

So you really think this rag tag bunch is going to win 7 home games and finish with an 11 -5 record?.

LO- Effin El.
    Dude you are dreaming!.
    Be happy with an 8 win tops season, and a good draft pick in 2014.

It is proven Pig Ben cannot make it through an entire season, and then what happens?
    Charlie Batch part 2?
    Seriously , take the 7 wins, and be happy you are going to get that many!.
    49 ers are the team to beat, in 2014!!!

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back