On location: Diamondbacks 15, Pirates 5

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (72-49) vs. Arizona Diamondbacks (62-58)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. RHP Trevor Cahill

Time: 4:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Fox (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Garrett Jones, 1B
  7. Jose Tabata, RF
  8. Jordy Mercer, SS
  9. Locke, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel, Travis Sawchik and I are on the scene.

Comments

1. Michael says:

I’ve looked ahead at the Pirates schedule. They still have a shot at 100 wins (28-13 will do it), but what I’ve really looked at is who’s playoff bound. What if it plays out so that the Pirates, breaking a 21 year losing streak, end up in the NLCS against the Braves? Talk about a chance to completely exorcise a demon…
    Purely speculation, of course. But when’s the last time Pirates fans got to speculate about playoffs (playoffs!?!?) in mid-August?

Playoffs by 2012 says:
    August 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

BIG THANK YOU to Jandy for re-posting for me yesterday.
    Gonna need another re-post today from one of you fine folks on here.
    Thanks in advance!

SATURDAY OVER/UNDER!!!

******PLEASE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW******
    PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier when I don’t have to hunt to find everyone’s “wagers”

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Today’s Line
    Total HITS by Andrew Lambo in today’s game
    Line is 0.5
    ***This line will be valid even if Lambo does not start***

GOOD LUCK!!!

72 Down, only 10 more to go!!

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

Lord Playoffs:

100 Italian Ferraris/Under

Thank you, kind sir.

Playoffs, from the “Final Word” thread under your original post:

tdb1977 says:
    August 17, 2013 at 10:37 am

I’ll take 100 on the under. No way he starts what Jose hit a home run last night.

100 Hurdles UNDER, please.

6. bizrow says:

100 on the Under

Thanks to all that make this happen

7. Bill Born says:

Seems like a trap.

100 on over.
    Please.

8. bizrow says:

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, W Melbourne
    France – Strasbourg
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt, Maquoketa
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Mason
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha, Lincoln
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester
    Nevada, Las Vegas, Henderson
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE – added 5/21
    Oregon – Roseburg
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove, Dormont, Scott Township
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston, North Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park, Pleasanton
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Uzbekistan
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*

390 confirmed locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Fred Rogers
    Mario Lemieux, ditto to the Great One, he stays as an owner
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg/Swissvale
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Bleier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    All Servicemen and women that have been in battle, ever
    Sgt Doug Vitale
    Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan Band
    First Responders***
    23 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    8/17/2013 12:52 PM

9. JMB says:

100 on UNDER

10. Brandie says:

I will take 25 on the over My Dear Mr. Playoffs and Wisconsin’s finest!

A little factoid that will probably not surprise anyone that I heard yesterday during the Cubs radio broadcast: The 5 top pitching teams in the NL in terms of ERA are the 5 teams currently positioned for the playoffs. Bucs are at the top of the heap, followed by Braves, Dodgers, Reds, Cards.

It seemed to make a lot of sense to me. I bet at least 3 of the 5 playoff teams are in the top 5 in ERA most years, and the 2 other playoff teams can’t be too far behind.

But, then I wondered how it works for runs scored. In that category, the Cards lead the league, followed by the Braves, Rockies, Reds, DBacks. The Dodgers placed 6th, and the Bucs are at #11. But, the Bucs are only 31 runs scored behind the DBacks.

So, it would appear for this year at least, pitching really does win games. It seems to be the strongest correlation to winning in the NL in 2013, although runs scored is also a pretty strong predictor.

12. Tom P. says:

There was some discussion about Melancon pitching last night with a four run lead. I did not have a problem with it because Tabata’s home run came with two outs in the eighth. Therefore, Melancon was already warmed up. It has been noted here before, that once a pitcher is “hot”, it counts as an appearance for the purpose of how many nights he can pitch. Plus, he did not pitch Tuesday or Wednesday.

13. Dadtackular says:

100 on the under

14. JRay3 says:

Hello fellow Bucs fans. Have stayed away from here the last little while. Interesting story that happened to me last night and another small world story.

One of the guys that serves on my kids PTO with my wife happens to represent Bryan Morris. I met him at the school Luau last night and he was telling me through my wife he knows I am a big Pirate fan and sees how my wife even wears Bucs fear (although she does not like sports).

Long story short he is headed to SD tomorrow night to meet Bryan and will be at game Monday. Told me he hopes he pitches so he doesn’t have to stay Tuesday. He knew I will be out there for the series asked me my plans and he invited me to dinner Monday night with he Bryan Morris and a few of the guys from the team as he put it.

Super excited at the opportunity and my wife says the best school function I’ve ever attended. I just probably won’t bring up the hanfging slider to Holliday the other day.

15. JRay3 says:

First day back in a little while so time to get back in on the action.

100 on the UNDER

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs.

Welcome back.

Enjoy the dinner with the boys.

17. bizrow says:

+++++++++

18. JRay3 says:

Thanks good to hear from you John.

19. Lad9 says:

Welcome back JRay! You were missed. Check last nights thread, which I would echo.

20. JRay3 says:

Back at you Brandie…hope all has been well with you.

21. Brandie says:

What’s the new avatar going to be Birdman?

22. Lad9 says:

Gotta take the under for 100. Thanks Playoffs and Johnny Badger! Go Buccos!

23. JRay3 says:

Rad Lad….nice to be back, thanks. Now for the Buccos to make it two straight versus the desert snakes.

24. Irish says:

100 on Under for me.
    Thanks, Playoffs.
    Let’s Go Bucs!

Yeah, Tom, not only was Melancon already geared up to come in, I think Jeanmar had already shut it down in the dugout. I thought it was fine to follow through and have him pitch.

My issue would have been more that Melancon should have pitched in St. Louis on Thursday. But, that is water under the bridge.

26. Lad9 says:

Heading down to the ballyard this afternoon with some of the troops. Will be sitting behind Tabby and awaiting some air mail from Pedro or GI, or maybe even Lambo if he gets to hit. In section 143 Row C 3-6 if anyone wants to stop by for an adult beverage. Go Buccos!

You had me at “I met him at the school luau last night”, JRay.

Then, the story got better and better. Very cool.

28. Lad9 says:

Don’t know why it disappeared Happened once before. Will check. It won’t be Birdman! LOL

29. Brandie says:

Awesome. Have a great time.

30. Brandie says:

Envious. Bring home the W!

I love those seats, Lad! Great view of the game and the park.

There are so many great views in PNC that offer totally different perspectives. Not many ballparks are like that.

32. JRay3 says:

Aweome, bring us home the W, enjoy!

33. Tom P. says:

The Cardinals did have the top of the order up in the 12th that day. There certainly is merit to bringing in Melancon to face Carpenter, Jay and Holiday. Oh well, it’s a lot easier to make that decision from my keyboard than in the dugout.

34. Tom P. says:

Sounds like fun. Good things happen when parents are involved at school, as they say. Enjoy the dinner.

35. cmst0829 says:

100 under

36. Lad9 says:

Will do my best, Signing out. Keep the trolls at bay!

37. Tom P. says:

I will look for you on Fox. It’s nice to see hte Pirates getting some national airtime, after a few years in the wilderness.

38. Brandie says:

Celebrated 16 years of marriage yesterday, going to start a new job soon…like the Buccos, finishing strong! Hope all is well with you my friend!

True, Tom. There are so many decisions that are close to 50/50. You can’t please everyone all the time as a manager, nor should you even try. I think he has grown as a manager a great deal this year, and even when I disagree with Hurdle it is usually on those 50/50 calls. And when it isn’t a 50/50 call, it usually turns out that he was right and I was dead wrong. I think he is good for this team.

DK: Jim, Lad … come on, guys … gravatars.com … you’re starting to stick out here!

40. Brandie says:

Well put, Tom!

41. JRay3 says:

I knew about the position…congrats on the anniversary, just awesome.

I don’t like the Fox arrangement. Since I live in the Chicago area, and I even have the MLB Extra Innings Pkg on DirecTV, I know I will be shut out again. Happens every time.

43. Brandie says:

Really good to see you again. Makes my day to talk to you all. :-)

+lots

46. JRay3 says:

Well you will get to keep close tabs on the Cards for us as you will get Cubs-Cards game.

This is one of the few times I actually luck out with the Bucs playing th Dbacks, so a rare treat to get the game here in AZ.

Next year if you have the Extra innings package they will show all the FOX games including those not shown in your market.

Where do we submit questions for ‘JRay chats with Bryan Morris’?

48. blazer says:

100 on the under please

49. Fish says:

I will take 100 on the under please and thank you.

Funny!

Is that a done deal, JRay? I heard it was a possibility, but didn’t know it was confirmed.

52. rvfcprez says:

I don’t like the Fox blackouts either. I’m near Nashville and of course they are carrying the Yankees and Red Sox because clearly those teams don’t get nearly enough national TV time. What gets me is that Pedro played college baseball in Nashville for Vandy, you would think the local TV station would choose the Pirates game for that reason anyway.

53. JRay3 says:

Yeah pretty sure it is, read something a couple weeks ago that stated that beginning next year all FOX broadcasts will be available on Extra Innings, as I too have the package and was trying to follow the story.

54. cosmo says:

100 on the under

It would be nice once in awhile if they at least did some research before deciding everyone is dying to see their 15th Yankees-BoSox tilt of the year. Maybe they do have some data to back it up. But, it is frustrating if you want to see other teams.

Thanks, JRay. That would be great.

57. Eric Bowser says:

Just had a wonderful time with the wife and kids at Bushy Run Battlefield. Had no idea this place existed and we were looking for something to do late morning and early afternoon. If you like American history, this is a cheap place to go ($5 adults, $3 kids) and get a tour of the fields.

I took some pictures, I’ll post those later this afternoon.

Speaking of historical things, the Pirates are on their way to making history… or maybe more importantly, memories. This winning is going to bring back a generation of families that have been lost for the last 20 years and that’s a value to the Pirates history that can never have a price tag as a father sits watching baseball with his son and discussing the nuances of the game.

58. JUCOFan says:

100 on the under

59. Chuck H says:

Memo to Clint Hurdle: It doesn’t matter what inning we’re in, if our starter show any signs of losing his stuff, you promise to yank him before it’s too late. Remember Thursday’s game with A.J. We could/would have won that game if you had pulled him just 2 batters sooner. With our bullpen, what’s so hard about that? GO, BUCS!!!

Eventually, DK, I will be the only one without an avatar, and then my snowman will be an avatar.

Sensational post, Eric. Both the PSA on Bushy Run and dads & sons enjoying baseball together.

62. Brandie says:

Could not have put that any better!

63. Baywatch says:

If you hear any noise, it’s just me and the boys! Afternoon, Guys & Dolls! How’s about a GIGANTICALLY BIG Pirates win – the one we’ve all been waiting for where EVERYONE is clicking on all cylinders (I’ll take Cutch, Walker & Alvarez for now!). And go Cubs and Brewers. We dub thee SPOILERS!

64. Baywatch says:

I’m sure it’s quite the tightrope Clint walks between pulling his starter early and keeping his bullpen fresh, for the long run.

+ many.

I agree Bay.

Last night he allows Cole to get through his rough inning and he goes on to pitch 2 more innings.

Thursday Hurdle was probably hoping the same thing for AJ and it didn’t work out the same.

67. Baywatch says:

For those of you who have access to the Brewers-Reds game last night, through mlb.tv or such, I HIGHLY recommend going back to watch Lucroy’s FULL at-bat against Chapman. The guy fouled/ticked off about 9 pitches before Chapman finally gave up on him and threw him a slider that sailed into his wheelhouse. In slow-mo, one of those times where you can see the hitter’s eyes light up like Christmas morning! But one WHALE of an at-bat!

68. TJ says:

Ok so we got a pitcher who was 0-6 with an ERA near 8 in his last 8 starts prior to his trip to the DL…. So I am going to guess we are held to 2 hits through 5 and Locke gives up a long ball to Goldschmidt in the first

That’s what I meant about 50/50 calls. One of them is always right, but you’ll never pick that one much more than half the time. I don’t think CH makes many blatant errors.

Saw it, Bay. It was a great at bat. And, it really worked out for the Bucs. For once, the Brewers did something to help us.

71. TJ says:

Wow I guess Clint has to have a crystal ball in the early innings. You can’t get pitchers warming up every time a pitcher has a rough inning… Not till September anyway

I think we jump on him early and often, TJ.

Good stuff Jimster!

74. Baywatch says:

75. TJ says:

I am trying reverse psychology. We make scrubs look like Cy Young winners

76. Baywatch says:

Be interesting to see what FOX gives us down here in East Texas. Usually, it’s the Cardinals if they’re playing, or FOR SURE the Rangers if they are. But, as the Beach Boys used to say … “Wouldn’t It Be Nice …” (This post dedicated to my Beach Boy lovin’ friend, Arriba Wilver)

This is just totally awesome! Enjoy!

.All right! Root ‘em on for the W! Have tons of fun and have a drink for me

I’ll be checking them out later. On my phone now.lol

100 Hippos on the UNDER !!!

woop woop ;)

82. TJ says:

So Miguel Tejada gets 105 games and says its for using adderall which he uses for ADD. He goes on to say that he had permission for 5 years from the MLB but his last permit expired in April and they did not give him another.

There is no way in the world the MLB would deny a player a medical prescription they needed without facing a potential lawsuit.

Mr. Playoffs, you are most welcome. It’s the least we Loonies can do for a brother. Now may I please have 100 units on the under.

Hey hey Hipposter. On my phone so I’m slower than 100 hippos.;)

85. Brandie says:

And, there’s your gray area, because it is a performance enhancer (so he can concentrate enough to play the game). :-)

THAT is slow! ;)

±±±±

There’s my camel lol

89. Brandie says:

We could time the speed by use of a sundial, then?

Gotcha!

91. bman says:

@playoffs:

100 on the UNDER please

Ok i am lousy on this phone. I’ll check in a bit later. Go Bucs!

93. Brandie says:

Greetings Hippo, Fun on a Nun, Eric, JRay Tre, DK, and everyone.

LET’S DO THIS…WHOOP A$$ AND FINISH STRONG Y’ALL!

94. Brandie says:

Sounds Intriguing!

JRay – living the life!

96. Lad9 says:

Greetings from PNC Park. Go Buccos! (Phone is slower than Jandy’s camel)

HA!

Actually, although Hippos are very slow creatures, when provoked, or attacked, they can reach speeds of up to 33 mph.

Make sure the Bucs seize control early and finish off the DBacks, Lad!

And the Hippo. ;)

100. Ghost says:

Miguel Tejada is about 105 years old and should be allowed to take artificial testosterone.

101. Brandie says:

Hey there Rad Lad…Have a great game!

102. Ghost says:

But the fishies Hippo keeps are fast little buggers.

103. BDHumbert says:

100 on the under – and hope I am wrong

As fast as the shotgun blasts?

MUPPETNADO !!

106. Brandie says:

Are you like a hippo version of Elmer Fudd?

107. Jay H says:

Well how nice….FOX gives us in Florida the Yankees/Red Sox to watch – for the 105th time this year….and then Monday ESPN (acronym for Every Sport Played in New York) will once again give us Yankees/Red Sox. Please Bucs, win the pennant and help get someone new on national television. I am SO tired of always having no choice but Yankees when the Pirates are blacked out here

108. Brandie says:

Boo, bad guys up 2-0!

109. Eric Bowser says:

Cannot continue to throw this many balls and walk hitters…

110. Brandie says:

Are you saying this is Unsustainable?

111. Eric Bowser says:

completely…

He hasn’t gone over 6 innings since 6.2 on 7/26

He’s definitely slipping of late. Not getting out of the jams unscathed lately like he was for close to 4 months.

113. Brandie says:

Needs to tighten that up for sure!

114. Eric Bowser says:

Walk wasn’t exactly hustling down the line….

115. Eric Bowser says:

argh…. apparently either was my brain and fingers….

WALKER!!

116. Brandie says:

Whiplash fast!

117. Brandie says:

Knew what you meant!

I knew what you meant, too. But, it was funny to think of Bob Walk running there. He has no announcing duties today.

119. Eric Bowser says:

He was “running” like Bob Walk.

120. Ghost says:

OH MY GOSH! LAUGH OF THE DAY!!!

121. Eric Bowser says:

alright, heading outside for a bit with the kids… now will be a good time for Locke to show up and pitch.

122. Ghost says:

Possibly. Equally as painful, I must say.

123. Brandie says:

Possible long day for the bullpen.

124. Brandie says:

Just imagining Walk pinch walking for someone.

125. Brandie says:

It was either that or Yosemite Sam.

126. Brandie says:

Tabata with the hustle!

127. Fish says:

Maybe Clint should yank Locke just to make sure it doesn’t get out of control……I would hate to see him get ripped tomorrow like he did after leaving A.J. in for two batters too many the other night…..lol

128. Brandie says:

There would probably be 2000 posts on that thread alone.

Feeling your pain, Jay.

130. Fish says:

sure made for an interesting flyout…..

There isn’t enough thread to cover it.

132. Fish says:

2000 seems light

133. Fish says:

i just think it’s a hoot when he lets a starter try to work through trouble hes merdered for it but when he pulls a guy he gets killed for using up the bullpen …..i guess hes really in a no win situation……

134. The Gunner says:

What on earth was Tabata doing, he was out by at least 10 feet!!

135. Brandie says:

Just an estimate.

136. Ghost says:

I do believe I would be Yosemite Sam. I always leave Hippo’s pond in a hurry, holding my buttocks and shouting, “My biscuits are burnin’!!”

137. Fish says:

Hey tabbie…….maybe that wasn’t the best place to try to stretch a single but i like the agression…….

138. Brandie says:

It must be all about the drama, that absolute over the top drama, the special brand of dumba$$ity Tabata is bound to give you at least once a game.

139. Brandie says:

Hanged if ya do, hanged if ya don’t…see 20 years of losing.

140. Brandie says:

Sounds personal!

141. The Gunner says:

Tabby sure has his issues

142. Brandie says:

Issues, at times, is an understatement.

143. Steelag70 says:

C’mon Locke,,,,,jeebus!!!!!!!!!

144. Steelag70 says:

This is what drives me crazy about this team lately…they are so up and down…can’t seem to get on a hot streak…

145. The Gunner says:

Brandie, I’m trying to be kind to Tabata these days. I think it’s time to yank Locke.

146. Fish says:

I hope the shark tank ate their Wheaties today……

147. Steelag70 says:

GET HIM OUT OF THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

148. TJ says:

Mr Locke seems to be the 2012 JMac

149. Steelag70 says:

Guess I can quit watching this game the way that Cahill is pitching…uggghhhh….

150. irishjim says:

Nobody up in the bullpen until the 5th straight hit this inning. Hurdle throws another one away.

151. TJ says:

6 thru 9 are 6 for 8 thus far. Absolutely lousy

152. Fish says:

am i hearing that right? 78 pitches in 2-2/3 of an inning?????
    with men still on 1st & 2nd?

153. TJ says:

Yeah blame hurdle Einstein

154. irishjim says:

Could have been out of this inning only down 3. If you think he knows how to manage the pitching changes then you are delusional. This has been happening all season.

155. Fish says:

WOW….this has just taken a turn from uh oh street onto uglyville road…….

156. The Gunner says:

Did CH fall asleep a la John Russell?? This is BS. Get off your dead backside Clint, get Locke outta there!!!!

157. Steelag70 says:

WTH Locke????

158. Steelag70 says:

Game over….

159. TJ says:

I predict a injury coming on for Locke.

Time for Gomez back in the rotation

160. TJ says:

And your an idiot with a comment like that. Doesn’t know how to manage a pitching staff…. Where were you the first half of the season Jim?

This team is in first place with 71 wins…. That happen by accident?

Yeah hurdle has no clue

161. TJ says:

Keep running pitchers out there Jim. We have plenty to use every time one gets in troUble in an inning. That won’t ruin a bullpen. No idea why with logic like yours you are not in Hurdle’s spot on the bench

162. irishjim says:

They would have at least 77 if Hurdle didn’t decide the pitching changes. Take a poll on here and see you are in the minority.

163. TJ says:

Yeah suddenly hurdle cannot manage… Again Jim where ya been all season? This hurdle bashing wasn’t around when they took 4 of 5 from the cards. True fan you are

164. Parrothead01 says:

I thought Hurdle was going to wait until they had a two touchdown lead before taking Locke out. How stupid, he should have been pulled at the first visit to the mound.

165. Brandie says:

He got tore up today. :(

166. Fish says:

I couldn’t agree with you more TJ…….

167. Parrothead01 says:

Locke is looking worse than McDonald looked last year.

168. TJ says:

Yeah plenty of sudden Pirate fans wanting to come and add their 2 cents about management that was fine all season but now suddenly doesn’t work. Truly brilliant fans

169. Steelag70 says:

What a pathetic performance so far by the Buccos…especially on national tv…

170. Fish says:

Not to mention the fact that it’s important to let your guys work their way out of trouble……he cannot yank a guy at the first hint of a problem…..his pichers need to know he has faith in them……

171. BDHumbert says:

Lots of good pitchers in the minors – use them…

And have been bashing Hurdle since he decided to head for Colorado last year for the All Star Break – this should be a full time job and worth his full attention – he may feel he needs a break – but we fans have not had a break for 20 years…

Wasting Melancon last night and not using him Thursday are clear blunders

172. TJ says:

Don’t get me wrong I do not agree with everything CH does… But damn people if he pulled his starter every time one got in trouble like you all want we would never have a bullpen.

173. The Gunner says:

Locke needs to come out of the rotation after this debacle. The BMTIB surely can see this.

174. TJ says:

Brilliant. So just send one down and call one up every day? Your aware of the 40 man roster, and players being out of options right? Of course you are because you seem to know more than pirates management!

175. Brandie says:

Marte breathes life back into the boys!

176. BDHumbert says:

Locke to the DL – Cumpton to the rotation – Gomez will be needed for long relief…

177. Fish says:

he probably should have yanked him while he was warming up in the pen…..and told him he was a bad person to boot……..

178. BDHumbert says:

We used to call that a Clendenon ;-)

179. Brandie says:

Shaking up the crystal ball.

180. twentytwo22 says:

If we learned anything from watching James McDonald is that once the magic is gone it stays gone. Locke doesn’t get the rest of the year to find it. He doesn’t have the pedigree of a Gerrit Cole.

181. MREVO says:

It seems apparent to me that Hurdle usually doesn’t even wake up until the fifth inning. His pitching strategy all year has been to run the starter til he throws 100 pitches, however many innings that is, and then throw whoever from the bullpen out there, and let’s face it, whoever he puts out there has generally been getting the job done. God forbid one of the pitchers has an off day, and Hurdle has to alter his “strategy”.

182. Brandie says:

It worked! DAYDRO!

183. Fish says:

EL TORRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

184. JRay3 says:

And one mammoth swing by Pedro somehow gets Bucs back in it…HR #30!

Brutal outing by Locke today, but that occasionally happens.

That Cahill kid for Arizona is being made to look like Cy Young. Sigh.

After catching up with the conversations above, I am out of the blog for today.
    I see CAS —- Clint Apologist Syndrome has reared its ugly head yet again.
    I just dont see the wisdom that Hurdle is NEVER to be criticized. Never. Make a mistake, defend Hurdle to the death.
    So, I hope the Pirates make a comeback today.
    I will just enjoy the game on the TV, where CAS isnt a problem.

Good vibes to the Bucs and all of you also.

186. irishjim says:

Anyone still not blaming Hurdle for keeping Locke in too long? Unreal. Could be up 5-3 or at worst tied 5-5.

187. Steelag70 says:

I think someone forgot to tell the offense what time the game started today…LOL

188. twentytwo22 says:

Big opportunity for the offense to win a game. Could be the best win of the year.

189. irishjim says:

must be beer thirty…i meant 4-3

190. Steelag70 says:

PEDRO, PEDRO, PEDRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

191. Brandie says:

Good optimistic take, 22!

192. JRay3 says:

And 81 RBI’s to boot but hey he strikes out a bit and only hits around .240…one of a few that can change complexions of the game with one swing. He woke PNC up!

193. Steelag70 says:

It’s a game again…..nice response by the bats….maybe Pedro is coming out of his funk. :)

194. The Gunner says:

Well said, 22. Locke might be done.

195. BDHumbert says:

Cumpton is available and has pitched well…

Dumping Barmes creates a spot on the 40 man – and he should have been dumped months ago…

But what really needs to happen if for management to sit down with AJ, Cutch and a few other “leaders” and have the same kind of heart to heart that Weiss had with the Rockies…

something like – “THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE – if you can’t do the job – get the hell off the mound. If you are not going to deliver in the clutch – don’t be surprised if you get pinch hit for – you guys need to get your shit together.”

196. TJ says:

Give it up Jim. Like a broken freaking record

197. Steelag70 says:

Hopefully he is getting hot again…..

So what’s worse?

1. Blow out

or

2. I’m sitting in Lee Roy Selmon’s sports bar and Fox has blocked all games but Yankees-Red Sox on the MLB package.

I guess ESPN bought Fox.

199. Parrothead01 says:

That would be nice, but they shouldn’t have such a big hole to dig out of. Locke can’t throw strikes anymore and when he does he gets ripped. He needs to have a very short leash the test of the season. I saw the wearing out the bullpen comments. That won’t be an issue in two weeks.

200. irishjim says:

OK I will listen to some random guy on the internet with a teddy bear picture, please.

201. BDHumbert says:

I don’t buy the wearing out argument – Cumpton certainly deserves a shot at locke’s spot – and Morris has been shaky – hell why not give Tyler Glasnow a shot – he has been lights out…

202. JRay3 says:

Hughes had plenty of time to run half way to first and just flip the ball to Jones, no need to rush that play.

203. Steelag70 says:

Uggghhhh…..Hughes….

204. irishjim says:

205. twentytwo22 says:

Little League World Series at PNC Park.

206. Steelag70 says:

LOL

207. TJ says:

As much as anyone listens to you.

By your brilliant logic Cole should have probably been pulled in the 4th last night, and Hughes needs pulled right now.

By the way can you show me the post you made bashing Hurdle for the decision to PH with Harrison against the Marlins instead of Sanchez?

Just an absolute joke you are

208. TJ says:

OMG why was Hughes allowed to finish that inning???? Hurdle should be fired. We have 12 pitchers we should use them all

209. irishjim says:

Huge difference between one throw away and 6 straight hits. Get real.

210. MREVO says:

When is Wandy due back?

211. TJ says:

Are you down in Florida? I was at one near siesta key not long ago

212. TJ says:

Same to you

213. irishjim says:

Listen, if you couldn’t comprehend that Locke should have been lifted after the 3rd hit that inning (or the 4th or the 5th) after getting into some decent trouble the previous innings then you don’t know anything about baseball and I am done debating you.

214. TJ says:

Jim how does it feel to be perfect? I just have to know. You seem to have all the answers and know when to pull what pitcher based on what I am sure is years of experience working with and studying them.

I cannot believe one person so perfect is on this site at 550 on a Saturday. Your boss must be proud to have a perfect employee. So jealous!!

215. JRay3 says:

Hey why not, I mean the pen has only covered- 3, 7.2, and 8 innings in the last four games….a total of 20.2 innings or two plus starts. Throw in the fact that they have to cover six plus today.

At some point the starters have to pick it up and gut through. Locke has to be allowed to stay out even if he implodes, the pen can’t do this every day.

Now if people want to argue whether or not Locke remains in rotation, fine that is one thing, but the team can’t always pull a starter it is their job to go 6-7 innings and anything less than 5 puts quite a strain on rest of team.

Well said, Mr. JRay Tre :)

217. TJ says:

No way JRay… We got 12 pitchers… They can each pitch to 3 batters every day!!

218. TJ says:

Hi Jandy!

219. TJ says:

JRay where ya been? They were about to send out a search party last night

220. irishjim says:

I am only bashing Hurdle for his management of pitchers, as you can plainly see above. His motivation and other variables are off the charts good. He and Ray are a good manager/pitching coach combo. I just wish he let Ray decide the pitching changes.

hey hey Teddy Bear :)

222. irishjim says:

And no, Cole was in one jam, not every inning like Locke. You need to put down the booze and pay attention.

223. TJ says:

I am thinking of a avatar change… son loves despicable me… Was thinking about using the minions as my new one

224. Steelag70 says:

Vin is always good to eat a few innings….along with some linguini….

225. Brandie says:

Wishing the Bucs good vibes.

Want to put a reminder on this here blog…

I chose to follow this and the Pirates because this whole experience has been a blast. Even down to the disagreements, the blog has made sports, particularly baseball, fun again.

Even if we disagree, please be respectful. Much of the discourse, from praise to criticisms is intelligent and well founded. When the passion boils over and we forget ourselves, this place becomes like high school, full of drama.

Life’s too short for that kind of drama.

Been watching the whole game. Can’t blame Hurdle for leaving Locke in…somehow Jeff has to suck it up and get his game back on track. Three bad outings in a row…I’m now officially worried about Locke.
    Lurch did just fine coming in except for the throwing gaffe. No harm, no foul.
    I called the Pedro blast to hubby, he was due.
    These guys can pull this out, but it’s gonna take some bats to make it happen.
    Do it Buccos!

227. TJ says:

I just hope it does not come down to Morris walking 2 batters in the 10th

+ many

wash your teddy bear mouth out with soap!
    :P

230. Brandie says:

Preach on, JRay Tre!

haha, go for it! Still might call you Teddy bear tho ;)

Not positive, but it’ll be a few weeks yet

233. Brandie says:

Tell It Like It Is…Fun on a Nun!

234. JRay3 says:

Needed to get away for a few take a breather. Work trip, kids school activities provided the needed distraction.

Upcoming trip to SD to see team in person has me pumped and wanted to stop back by this place, to enjoy late August pennant fever baseball.

I am, I am ;)

236. Brandie says:

Possibly around September 1st.

Hope your hubster treated you well for your anniversary, Brandanimal

238. JRay3 says:

Nice

239. bradthedad says:

For what it’s worth (nothing – we’re not taking votes) but I agree with just about everything you’ve said. I’ve just not chosen to get sucked into the back and forth with some of the truly bizarre posters. Waste of time.

2011. Last game of the season.

If the Rays beat the Yankees, they’re in the playoffs. If they lose, they’re out.

Sixth inning. Rays losing 8-0. Out of the playoffs, right?

Nope. Come back from from 8-0, make playoffs, knock Red Sox out, Red Sox hire Bozo the Valentine,Neal gets a secret extension for life, and all was right with the world.

In other words, it could happen.

241. BDHumbert says:

Last year or two years ago I would have agreed with you – but go look at the Indians pitching stats – there are at least 5 pitchers who could be used if needed – Kris Johnson is have a great year – Cumpton has done well when called upon – Welker and Black have the stats to justify a promo and Reid did OK the last time called upon. Once we get to September we can have them – Tailon – Pimntel and Glasnow to add depth…

The point is that the Pirates need to get to September in good shape TOO HAVE A CHANCE OF PLAYING MEANINGFUL GAMES IN OCTOBER – as I have said before I am pretty sure Clint would prefer to be at home in Colorado rather than bothering with the playoffs – I really think he sucks!

And can’t wait to listen to the postgame crap from today – he will try and spin this as “just one of those days” and “nothing we could do”…

242. Brandie says:

Involved much wine…quite relaxing.

with this team, never say die…you just never know.

I love wine….glad you enjoyed :)

darn

246. Steelag70 says:

Dangit…

247. Brandie says:

Depends on what kind of funk! :-)

248. Steelag70 says:

Not getting any help from the Cubbies today…..

True story.

I’m sitting at the bar at Lee Roy Selmon’s.

My wife is getting her blue hair done 100 yards away. I text her and suggest she join me after her doo.

She calls as she’s walking up. Asks where I am. I tell her I’m sitting at the bar.

She says she’ll get a table (alone).

I am not making this up.

Yes, TJ, if you missed it above, I’m in Florida. Sitting in a LR Selmons in Palm Harbor, just north of Clearwater.

252. Steelag70 says:

Time for another rally Buccos!!

Married 25 years; 3 of the best years of my life.

we can hope!!

255. Chuck H says:

OK Hurdle, enough is enough. What the hell are you trying to prove? You have to be the dumbest manager in the history of baseball. Did you think you would hurt Locke’s feelings
    if you took him out in the first inning? You would have been doing him a favor because he was done after walking those two DBacks in the1st inning. Apparently you did not see that. Get another job, because you’re not very good at this one.

DK: He is a terrible manager. Amazing that he’s employed.

Do I hear an echo in here?

257. JRay3 says:

And Tabby continua his little hot streak and gets the Bucs within 3….just keep chipping away.

258. Steelag70 says:

TABBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

zactly!!!

Looks like Jordy’s been hanging around marte too much lol

261. JRay3 says:

Hey Chuck he inherited a 57 win team and his first year won 72 a +15 game improvement, in ear two won 79 +7 from precious year and +22 from where team was.

This year he is 72-49 and on pace to get the Pirates, yes I said Pirates into the postseason for the first time since 1992, something Lamont, McClendon, Tracy, Russell could not do.

Easy there on the hyperbole.

chasing those low and away pitches

+ many

264. Steelag70 says:

Time for another Martay Partay….

265. JRay3 says:

Bases juiced for touNeil, Justine big timely hit here and PNC will blow.

266. Steelag70 says:

Next he will teach him how to get hit by the pitch…lol.

ouch…two in a row….it this were CIncy

268. JRay3 says:

Urgh IPad, just one big timely hit to get this crowd in a frenzy Neil.

lol..maybe he taught JHay

Thanks for the laugh JRay lol

DK, don’t feed the trolls ;)

272. Brandie says:

Time to put up or shut up!

273. Steelag70 says:

LOL

274. Steelag70 says:

UGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

what a way to go out…swingin at a dirt ball…ugh

276. Steelag70 says:

Looks like Neil has been watching Marte….

277. TJ says:

Awesome. Is there a bonefish grill in the parking lot?

Jay Bell has to be shaking his head lol

279. TJ says:

Awesome. I will be in Minneapolis this week scouting Morneau.

Have no idea if the twins play at home this week but I will be there

280. Brandie says:

FIRE JAY BELL!!!!! :-)

281. Brandie says:

Your wife is a punk rocker?

282. JRay3 says:

Wilson gets Bucs first 1-2-3 inning, and he, Hughes and Mazzaro once again doing what Bucs pen has all season-shut down an opposition.

Now let’s get the shark tank a few more runs and make this comeback complete.

283. TJ says:

Nice job by the pen today regardless

284. BDHumbert says:

I really thought that making Jay Bell a hitting coach was a very bad joke…

Nothing I have seen in 2013 makes me feel any different…

I watched Jay Bell hit…

And Jay Bell was never a very good hitter .269 avg/.741 OPS in 8 years with the Pirates…

Who thought that would make him a good hitting coach?

285. Steelag70 says:

Rally cap on….

286. Brandie says:

That wine was from Evergreen Valley Vineyards, between DuBois and Punxsy. Delicious! No drunk posts from me, though!

287. JRay3 says:

In my opinion the #1 strength of this team.

What in the name of God is wrong with you people? Everything doesn’t go this team’s way, and Hurdle is no good, Jay Bell is no good,the players need demoted, they suck…sheesh…What kind of fans are you>?

289. TJ says:

Better yet let him go manage the Nationals!

+ many

291. TJ says:

After its die hard fans I agree

Amen!

293. TJ says:

Jandy…. Happy place

294. Steelag70 says:

What a Putz….

295. BDHumbert says:

I am soooo angry at Hurdle for wasting this inning – it should have been Locke pitching into the 7th regardless of the score – Hurdle should never waste a good inning on a game like this…

What is he thinking – we will need Wilson to get us to 82 wins when we go to Cincy to end the season – and if we don’t get to 82 this will be Clint’s fault!

296. Brandie says:

Tongue firmly in cheek…I know it comes down to execution, and, please, no jokes about the team’s possible execution!

297. TJ says:

Folks have begun lining up on the Clemente bridge

298. Brandie says:

That could be directed at anyone.

dang Pedro

300. Steelag70 says:

lol

301. TJ says:

Bridge jumpers head this way —————->

Hummmmmmm!!!!

303. Steelag70 says:

Daydro and K-dro all in the same game…

and dang Martin

305. TJ says:

Fire Jeff Bannister

lol
    Fire the Bat Boy!

307. Brandie says:

What about eating her curds and whey-dro?

sounds gross lol

309. Steelag70 says:

Fire the clubhouse attendant!!!!!!!!!!1

310. Steelag70 says:

C’mon Jeanmar…..

311. Brandie says:

Fire the peanut vendors at the Trib Total Media Sign!

312. non-violence Sister T. Think happy thought. And alcohol helps too.

313. Steelag70 says:

Fire Pirates Charities!!!!…

314. Steelag70 says:

Ruh-roh

315. Brandie says:

Fire the Parrot!

316. Brandie says:

Let’s hear it for wine!

Fire Mother Theresa!

318. TJ says:

PULL HIM! Fire Clint again! Gotta protect the 4 run deficit

319. TJ says:

Errr 3 run

320. I can’t believe Hurdle hasn’t pulled Gomez yet!!!

321. Steelag70 says:

Wouldn’t you be out of a job Jandy?? lol

322. Steelag70 says:

Get a dp right here….

323. Steelag70 says:

If Pops were still handing out Stargell’s Stars, how many would Gomez have this year??

324. Brandie says:

Hurdle’s gonna get tossed!

325. Brandie says:

Premature on that!

326. TJ says:

More than you can see from Mt Washington on a clear night

327. Steelag70 says:

At least it didn’t score a run…lol.

328. Steelag70 says:

At least that Putz is out of the lineup now…lol.

Yup, lol

330. irishjim says:

Who sounds like the broken record now? This inning was hardly 3 straight hits, followed by a HR, followed by 3 more hits. Hurdle could have done us all a favor and got tossed in the 2nd inning instead.

331. Steelag70 says:

Dangit….

332. TJ says:

I really had hoped you got lost. Guess you can’t see everyone on here including me mocking you

YOU! :P

334. irishjim says:

Oh because this is a cult and you can’t have a differing opinion? Cool.

The many faces of Pedro

sure you can have an opinion. But when it’s extreme, expect extreme reaction…

ok time for ignore.

338. Steelag70 says:

Ugghhh…

woop wooop!

But…my size 9 wides are twitching ;)

341. irishjim says:

I didn’t realize pointing out the obvious with Hurdle and the starting pitchers was extreme.

342. TJ says:

They need that feature. I tried hitting mute in the remote but it did not work

343. TJ says:

Extremely ignorant when it comes to your observation of Clint as a manager

344. TJ says:

They need that feature on here Jandy

345. TJ says:

In case everyone did not see the news… The sun is still expected to rise tomorrow with the Pirates in first place

346. Steelag70 says:

Stop the bleeding Morris….

347. TJ says:

I hate when I am premature

348. TJ says:

A team gets 17 hits… They deserve to win

I see it took a day, but the DK jinx is alive and well—Gomez.

:-)

350. Steelag70 says:

Jobu needs to wake up the bats!!

351. BDHumbert says:

Oh as for execution I too am in favor of it…

And I will put my credentials as a fan up against anyones – I own season tickets – buy a ton of merchandise – continue to hope for the best…

But I don’t think Hurdle is a very good manager.

I have said that for two plus years – did not start in the last week..

This is a talented team and deserves better leadership – and by that I am not just saying a better Manager – but a group of players who want to be accountable.

I got really depressed when I heard Barmes was on the “leadership council” – I can think of five game he personally lost this year – he may have been a good player in Colorado – and he may be an awesome human being.

But this is 20 years of losing and disappointment – I am sorry – but I just want someone to show me the give a damn – not seeing it when AJ goes into one of his macho tantrums – not seeing it when Hurdle leaves his best reliever on the bench – then uses him to wrap up a four run win. And I don’t blame Jeff Locke – he was AWESOME for months – to leave him out there today when he did not have his best stuff was cruel – a couple of nights ago I suggested that Clint Barmes deserved a punch in the mouth for blowing an easy double play – Ray Searage/Hurdle – probably deserved the same from Locke…

“How dare you leave me out there when I was struggling – I deserve better – you knew I did not have my best stuff and you deliberately embarassed me!”

I am sorry if I have come across as abrasive or offensive – but I am a passionate fan – and my great disappointment is I see none of this sort of passion from Huntington or Hurdle – I grew up with the Pirates of Clemente, Groat, Hoak and Murtaugh – they would be fuming at this point.

352. Steelag70 says:

I will say this…the Buccos are in 1st place and holdin steady…my main concern is that they are 21-19 in the second half and seem to be limping into the playoffs. I would feel a whole lot better if we could become more consistent again in the win column…maybe ripo off a nine game streak again… :)

353. Steelag70 says:

Everybody hits…everybody hits….

354. irishjim says:

Hurdle still left Locke in too long today, left AJ in too long earlier in the week, and used Gomez entirely too much on back-to-back nights after throwing 56 pitches earlier in the week.

355. TJ says:

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS?? Key Jim Mora

It’s obvious to so few, i guess it’s not so obvious, Irish

I’ve been asking for it, but to no avail

TMI! lol

359. TJ says:

Hey I am the foul mouthed teddy bear

and darn proud of it, aren’t ya?? :D

:sigh:

362. irishjim says:

But hey he’s a heck of a nice guy and motivates this team!

OK Loonies, gotta jet…it’s a loss. But tomorrow is another game…
    Go Bucs!

Hugz all round :)

365. JRay3 says:

And is 72-50 and manager of a first place team…so I guess nice guys don’t finish last!

366. twentytwo22 says:

The Pirates offense never does anything like this.

367. Steve J. Smith says:

Morris sucks!

368. TJ says:

Stop asking and start praying

369. TJ says:

FIRE him JRay.

370. The Gunner says:

Cardinals won today, looks like they pick up a game. Morris stinks. Hurdle is stoopid. Might as well go have another drink, Frank (the resident drunkard).

371. Steve J. Smith says:

He’s afraid to throw strikes.

372. Steve J. Smith says:

Hopefully this is like one of those rare Bucs blowouts where they use up all their runs and don’t score for a couple days. Hopefully the Bucs will come out pounding tomorrow and Charlie can find his inner Cy Young to shut the snakes down.

What we need.

374. WVStarship says:

They just don’t finish.

375. The Gunner says:

Morton needs to bring his “A” game tomorrow!!!!!

376. MREVO says:

Atta way to run up the score D-backs, you’re just gonna fire the Bucs up for tomorrow.

377. Gary says:

Playoffs???? You kiddin’ me? This team is desperately yanking back hard on the yolk trying to stave off the inevitable swwwaaaaaan dive that’s coming. By the time they get back from the coast they’ll be 4 games back at least. They can’t hit and now their illustrious bullpen is coming apart, not to mention Locke continuing to tank more and more every start. Yeah I know, go ahead and let me have it, i don’t care. I call it as I see it. I’m 47 and they’ve done nothing since I was 27, so until they win, they’ve done nothing. The season does not end in August. We’ve all earned the right to be Doubting Thomases when it comes to this team.

378. Gary says:

Exactly right 22. when’s the last time the Bucs put up double-digits? Anaheim, right? Think they could do that to the Cards or Reds or anyone good? No but those teams can do it to them.

379. Brandie says:

That’s a different way to look at a delicate situation. :-)

380. Brandie says:

Good night, Nun!

381. JRay3 says:

Records since All Star Break:

Reds 16-11
    Pirates 16-13
    Cardinals 13-16

Pirates record versus:
    Cardinals 8-5
    Reds 7-6

Pirates up 2 in Central and up 8.5 games for playoff berth.

Think they are right there, no evidence of swan dive at least not statistically.

382. twentytwo22 says:

When it happens I see a team that enjoys hitting. The Pirates are a team that dreads hitting.

383. Brandie says:

Today’s game…sponsored by The Professional Association of Bridge Jumpers! Seriously folks, it was a blood letting, pure and simple.

384. Brandie says:

Great, a Teddy Bear with part time Tourettes.

385. Gary says:

They’re starting to get pounded in losses, and they don’t have the bats to keep up when teams crank up the scoring. Pitching can’t carry you forever, sometimes you have to generate offense and flat outscore somebody. I want to believe, but after 20 years they’re gonna have to show me for the WHOLE SEASON not just 3/4 of it. I save my faith for a much higher power. Let the Bucs prove it then I’ll believe.

386. Gary says:

Apparently there was an institutional memo this year that said YOU WILL TAKE THE FIRST PITCH NO MATTER HOW FAT AND DOWN THE MIDDLE IT IS! Then you will swing at a cutter in the dirt. Kinda hard to succeed at hitting when you’re behind in the count most of the time.

387. John Lease says:

He brought his A game in St Louis, it worked too until Marte dropped the ball.

Dejan wants evidence of outfielders catching the ball with two hands? Look at Marte now, he’s doing it.

Pedro his his 30th, so all is right with the world.

Locke is reminding everyone of who he was before this season, someone who got pounded frequently.

388. John Lease says:

Well, I can say it for this game. Didn’t happen.

389. The Gunner says:

Sir Humbert

I grew up in the same era you did & I, too, am starved for a winner. Locke stunk the joint out again today, Hurdle was brain dead today, Pedro strikes out too much, Jay Bell’s a joke etc etc.

Morton better be almost perfect tomorrow, Cincinnati is coming on strong!!

390. Press Kyle says:

If today were a playoff game or a game to avoid being knocked out of the playoffs, for example, I agree that Locke should have been lifted, However, baseball at this level, is a 162 game marathon, and other factors besides winning or losing this one game enter in.

First, the impact on Locke’s confidence would’ve been a huge neagative were he pulled after the second or third hit, The player is obviously struggling and maybe wearing out or hurting a little, Have to give him a little more rope and see if he can suck it up. Obviously, after the 5th or 6th hit, it was time.

Second, the impact on the bullpen must be considered, particularly with Locke due to bat second in the bottom of the inning. Running your pen into the game that early too often at this point in the season isn’t a good thing.

Although I have been critical of the Bucs chances because they have been struggling offensively all season (only 2 hitters over .275 isn’t good), but now I see the pitching slipping (and the potential for it to get even worse seems right around the corner) and defensive misplays seem to be popping up all over the place. I still think that playoff talk is premature give their play in August, However, Hurdle still has to manage for the long run of the last 40 games, not the short run of any one game, until the situation calls for it.

Was it an embarassng loss on a national network? Sure, but it is only one loss. Can’t make decisions that would cause the team to potentially lose a couple other games becasue the bull pn was overworked or one of your best pitchers (so far this year) loses his confidence because he got pulled in the 3rd inning.

392. Press Kyle says:

Let’s not rush Taillon up to Pittsburgh yet. Even this September may be too soon. He’s good, but he is barely been in AAA for what, 2-3 starts? He has too much to learn yet.

Brewers beat the Reds 2-0.

Yovani Gallardo, fresh off the DL, pitched 6.1 innings as Brewer pitching held the invincible Reds to 5 hits. Mat Latos took the loss for the Red Stockings.

Unfortunately, not many high bridges in Milwaukee for visiting Reds fans.

But there is Lake Michigan to jump in, I guess.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle