On location: Diamondbacks 4, Pirates 2, 16 innings

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (72-50) vs. Arizona Diamondbacks (63-58)

Starters: RHP Charlie Morton vs. LHP Wade Miley

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jordy Mercer, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Russell Martin, C
  5. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  6. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  7. Jose Tabata, RF
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Morton, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel, Karen Price and I are on the scene.

UPDATE 1:49 p.m.: Here are a couple questions I had for Neal Huntington regarding Jeff Locke

Comments

1. Baywatch says:

Greetings, Gang! Am I actually the first poster in the “On Location Thread!” Yee-Ha! Just dropped by to say I’m calling a nice, big multi-hit game for Gaby Sanchez! How great would it be for him to break out a bit!

2. Zack says:

Locke looks just plain tired, whether he wants to or not needs to skip a start or two. Miley’s been good of late but I think we will rebound strong from yesterday

I’m going to the game today.

Look for me on TV –I’ll be the one dressed up as “Saint Clint”.

I’ll be cheering for a Bucco victory and no pitching changes for the Pirates.

Gotta go, I have to buy 55 pieces of bubble gum before the game.

Reported for the inimitable Playoffs:

Playoffs by 2012 says:

August 18, 2013 at 3:57 am

Big THANK YOU to Johnny Wisconsin for re-posting for me earlier.
    Gonna need one more re-post from one of you fine people today.
    Thank you again in advance.
    SUNDAY PICK ‘EM!!!
    ******PLEASE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW******
    PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier when I don’t have to hunt to find everyone’s “wagers”
    Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.
    NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!!

Today’s Pick ‘Em Line
    Total INNINGS PITCHED by the Pirates Bullpen in today’s game
    0 – 1.66 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    2 – 3.66 (EVEN ODDS)
    4 or More (EVEN ODDS)

GOOD LUCK!!!
    72 Down, only 10 more to go!!
    Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23
    KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

Reposted—sheesh.

+many

7. Bob Hasis says:

Well today you’re two Clints for the price of one

8. Lad9 says:

Will take 2-3.66 for 100 please. Thank you Playoffs and AW. Go Buccos!!

9. Baywatch says:

+1! “Two, Two, Two Clints in ONE!”

10. bizrow says:

I think Charles comes up big today

100 on 0-1.66

Beat Em Bucs

Thanks AW and Playoffs

So we just look for the huge bubble?

Didnt you dress up as neal last game?
    I want to know where you get your costumes, so I can get one. ;)

12. Stuart says:

Geez! Went on vacation at the beach for a week, and something hit the fan. I saw the single win against the Cards on Natl TV. Stayed up late getting game updates on the blog for the Tuesday debacle. Not the best way to follow a game, especially THAT game I don’t have the MLB Gameday. There were some new (to me) trolls out on the blog for that Tuesday game, and it was painful to have to read their tripe while hoping for actual game info.

Recent Pirate play seems to have brought out some of our more adolescent regulars also. Jandy and JRay, and a few others trying to keep it all together, but that is like herding cats.

How about that Alfonso Soriano?! 18 RBIs in four games. Nice free agent pickup by the impoverished Yankees.

Looks like a wakeup call for Walker in today’s lineup.

Tabata really hot during the recent losing.

Lets go Ground Chuck

Stuart

Maybe we need to change the name of the team to “The Fighting Clints” ??

14. Stuart says:

Playoffs, please give me 100 on the 2 to 3.66 line.

15. Irish says:

25 units on 2-3.66, please.
    Let’s Go Bucs!
    Thanks, Playoffs.

“The Fighting Clints – - We Can Do No Wrong”

17. Nate83 says:

75 on the 2-3.66

Funny. :)

Seriously, we as fans, and as a blog havent moved the needle much the past 6 years, have we?
    It used to be the Pro/Anti thing for the FO…………. now its debating if Clint can do no wrong, and each side attacking the other.

I vote for the following:

The Fighting Clints…….. We will crush you with our bubbles!!

19. Brandie says:

Hurdle and Barmes!

20. Bob Hasis says:

Currently watching Chinese Taipei and Arizona on the Junior League Championship. Chinese Taipei always seems so overwhelmingly dominant here and at Williamsport in the Little League games.
    Question; why don’t we see these guys in the majors? They never seem to progress beyond this level.

Solution; we should develop an outpost there as we have done in the Dominican, and I have the perfect candidate to run it.

The problem is – no bubble gum.

I have another question; why has everyone singled out my man Leyva for that ONE play where he deployed Walker into short right for that fantastic play, and simply overlooked the dozens of traffic jams he has created at third base.

I think he had time to consider that move, but at third there is no time, the thought reflexes must be a lot quicker than perhaps he is capable of. I’d recommend Jay Bell for third base coach

Hi Muppet!

Your name isnt Clint, is it? ;)

plan,
    I think the Pro/Anti FO debate is much different than the one on Clint.

I just have a different view than you. I don’t think people are saying that Clint can do no wrong. It is much more of a debate on the strategy that manager uses. Some agree with it, some disagree. Not sure they are attacks. Just debates.
    And those have been going on since the beginning of baseball.

Thunder………

I was using the analogy that in both cases, there is black and white, no one in the middle, and when someone is in the middle, he/she gets it from both sides.

As for Hurdle, of course no one has technically said that he can do no wrong. I just see people rushing to defend him even when he makes mistakes, which is a bit strange. Of course, some on here just lunge at him when he does make a mistake, which is strange also.

Just my .01 cent.

But, since I dont know anything, I guess maybe its only 1/2 a cent?

24. Lad9 says:

Thoughts from attending yesterdays game:

A summer day at the ball park, especially a Saturday day game, is better than most any alternative. A win is preferable, but it was still an awesome day followed by pizza at Beto’s. Mmmmm.

We got a ball yesterday thrown after the second inning by Jose Tabata. It was fumbled forward from behind us and landed right in my wife’s lap, and I literally had to bat the guy’s hand from in front of us away from that…..region and nabbed it myself. Gave it to my wife and she promptly gave it to the guy’s young son, so I guess we had a ball. But she made the right choice – the smile told all.

I read the blog last night and I understand all of the arguments for pulling and not pulling your starter early. Don’t want to restart that debate. And anyone who has read anything from me knows I think CH is a very good manager. That being said, I thought letting Locke face Prado was a mistake. I would have pulled him then and said so at the time. He was all over the place and could not locate his fastball especially, and he was done at that point. Just my opinion.

Worried some about Bryan Morris. He has been wild low the last two outings, and beat the snot out of his catcher yesterday.

Jordy Mercer looks more confident in the field every time I see him.

Neil Walker is not just a poorer hitter right handed, he has much poorer plate discipline. He is a sucker for the slider in the dirt as a righty. And his average has fallen 68 points as a righty since 2010. Anyone checking his vision out of the left eye? Just a wild thought, but it can’t hurt.

The most impressive thing I saw yesterday from the Pirates without a doubt was Cutch sprinting full out on a 40 foot swinging bunt in the ninth with two outs and down 10 runs. If that doesn’t resonate with his teammates I don’t know what would. I hope that was mentioned on the broadcast.

Lets forget about yesterday and bring one home today. And I hope my avatar comes back……

25. Fish says:

2 – 3.66 for 100 please and thank you….

So despite the angst in here and in columns. If the Pirates win today, they take a series from a pretty good team.

And of course they’ll win today. Look who’s going for the Pirates.

Thunder.

27. Bob Hasis says:

Thoughts;
    Where is Beto’s?
    Agree with you on Mercer.
    I too have questioned Walker’s vision. Not sure if left eye is the only potential problem
    Walker’s swing from the left side is a classic picture, and when he connects, it is beautiful.
    Cutch does that on every at bat – full speed in the field as well

Ditto

29. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may I have 100 Sandwiches on the 2 – 3.66 line?

31. Nate83 says:

I like the line up but Hurdle is managing so we have no chance(:

32. BidDaddy13 says:

It is well known that there was little movement by anyone at the deadline. But it was IMPERATIVE that the Pirates get some offensive help at that time. Whether the asking price was too high or the front office merely dropped the ball, it is a moot point until after he season when heads may (or may not) roll.

What it comes down to now is that this team is (and will continue) paying for that negligence. It is frustrating. We all have waited so long for this season. Can they overcome? Time will tell.

I read somewhere that today was “National Soft Serve Ice Cream Day”.

Maybe Clint can replace his bubble gum?

Careful, TC.

There is a guy around here that dresses like Saint Vince for Vince Lombardi at Packer games. People are always posing with him for facebook pictures, etc. He has become sort of a local celebrity.

And in no way am I saying that is a good thing!

35. radio wave says:

Going to the game today. Not claiming being a good luck charm or anything, but they have only lost once in the five games we have gone to so far. Hope this works today, they need a win.

36. BidDaddy13 says:

You can say that all you want. What manager, past or present, would have this roster much more than two games in first place?

I challenge you and anyone else to name a manager and tell us how many more games that manager would have the Pirates (with this offense) significantly more than 22 games over .500.

Have at it!

Welcome back, Mr. Kipling!

Hey Big—Nate was joking.

40. Daquido_Bazzini says:

In general….You’ll find Anti’s Pro Clint and Pro’s Anti Clint.
    Strange but true…..

You must not read Nate’s posts, BD. Nate is a long time poster with history of solid, rational posts (unlike mine).

42. Nate83 says:

Big daddy my happy face didn’t work at the end of my post. It was a joke in response to those who have been hammering Clint over the last couple days. I am firmly on the side of defending Hurdle “hurdle apoligest”. Others (not me) would have had Hurdle lifting starting pitchers at the first sign of trouble the last 8 games.

In fantasy world where your bullpen can pitch 5+ innings per game on average and we haven’t played two extra inning games that is great.

In reality you need those pitchers to get out of those jambs and continue to give you 2 or 3 more good innings like Cole did the other day. AJ and Locke failed at that and Hurdle takes the blame. He “overworks our bullpen” and “keeps starters in to long” both at the same time. The guy really is amazing.

43. Bill Born says:

100 on the 2 – 3.66 line
    Please.

44. JUCOFan says:

100 on 2.00 – 3.66

45. Brandie says:

No. Hurdle and Barmes are…Wait for it…

“The Double Clint Twins”!

46. Brandie says:

No avatar again.

+1 to TC and Daq.

48. Nate83 says:

Thanks John. I’ve had my share of post that are not rational. I thought Mercer would fall flat on his face. He has been solid and consistant. I thought the Karstans signing was good. Don’t tell anyone but I thought the Jonathan Sanchez signing was good (now that is not even close to rational). He helped me win fantasy baseball one year. I think my opinion of him was clouded by his 2009 stats for the ERA TIE BREAKER fantasy baseball team.

Beto’s is on Banksville, on the in-bound side.

50. Bob Hasis says:

Showalter and Francona

51. Cmat0829 says:

100 on 2-3.66 please

52. Brandie says:

FIRE THE MUPPET!

We’ve all had our fail here !

Forgot to respond the other day when I was doing P by P on the blog, but I liked your story about your son and the Old Spice commercial.

How many errors did he come up with ?

“groan”

Why?

:-)

57. Bob Hasis says:

Thanks for that. I think I need to try them at least once.

58. Nate83 says:

He found 7 on his own, but there are a few more. He jokingly tells me I’m the worse architect in the world when I don’t let him do something. He always has a smile on his face when he says it so I think I will let him get away with it a few more times and then I’m going to tell him he’s the worse kickball player in the world.

59. Nate83 says:

I like both of those guys Bob.

Francona has gotten just about as much as you can get out of that team. Swisher and Bourne are not the upgrades that many think they are. Both are not complete ball players and have flaws in there games. Good players but not worth what the Indians gave them in free agency.

Showalter has a good team to work with offensively but has a balancing act to do with that pitching staff. He seems to do a good job of mixing and matching.

I think Hurdle has done a good job overall. Talent wise I don’t think it is obviuos that this team would be 22 games above .500 so it can’t be to bad of a job.

60. Dadtackular says:

100 “peace symbols: ” on line 2

61. Cmat0829 says:

Good morning….happy to see the Bucs still in first place and happy to watch today’s game and a good chance to take a series and head out to the coast. Also happy Clint Hurdle is leading this team…he doesn’t just manage he leads….. He, like every manager, makes mistakes, his players make more mistakes….but through it all I like having him be our leader and won’t spend any more time back and forth in a silly debate over every move and decision. You all go ahead though, it’s why they make it easy to scroll past large chunks of discussion threads.

Agree with DK that an offensive surge is needed to carry us through the dog days …..the top of the order is starting to bust out…..need Jones, Pedro, Martin and or additions? To jump in too. LETSGBUCS…PANICISFORLOSERS.

Kris Johnson – UP
    Andrew Lambo – DOWN

63. Brandie says:

Feel the need to fire someone!

64. Brandie says:

Lambo = Lambomb. Don’t know.

I guess Lambo did his job—woke Tabby up. ;-)

66. Nate83 says:

Do you think heads will roll? Myself I can’t imagine. It’s not only the record accomplished by the major league team but the suprising development of some minor league players. They hit on two free agents and some under the radar trades. Two first round draft picks are playing really good in low A ball. They correctly read the market on Grille and Karstans.

When it comes to drafting and trading for prospects I still think much more of this is luck then we like to beleive. Of course teams that are horribly run like the White Sox and KC make moves that just make your head hurt but most teams are drafting and trading just like the Pirates. It’s a guess and sometimes it turns out and other times it doesn’t. In my opinion that all balances out over time. The moves that do make a difference is deciding which free agents to sign and which of your own players to sign or trade when your small/medium market.

67. Brandie says:

Stellar report, Ladster!

68. Bob Hasis says:

You deserve a rim shot

69. Brandie says:

May I have 50 on 4 or more? Thank you.

70. Nate83 says:

Thats an important job. We just need somebody to do that every two weeks or so. Expanded rosters are in two weeks so we should be good until the end of the year.

71. T.S. says:

Lambo down? Makes absolute zero sense. Not surprised. We are talking about Neal Suckington after all.

72. Brandie says:

Good to see you.

100 on 2-3.66 please, Playoffs.

and McKenry to the 60 DL

I’d like 100 troll units on 2 – 3.66 line please. Busy day for me. Can’t stay. Go Bucs!!

76. Bob Hasis says:

It is difficult to argue the record which speaks for itself. Perhaps that’s how the record came to be – by itself. Just kidding!

I will tell you what I like about CH________________________!

Also just kidding!

Seriously, when he goes out to argue with an umpire, he usually walks away smiling, and leaves the umpire with a smile as well.
    I was thinking maybe they exchanged information so CH could deliver some snake oil after the game.

I’d have a beer with him just as long as I could talk and he would listen.

Anyway for what it’s worth, he IS the manager of the 2013 Pirates

77. MadTurk says:

It’s pretty good Pizza, a little different on how they add the cheese but good (after cooking the pizza). Used to be much better and the toppings, use to get more but still not bad.

78. T.S. says:

McKenry has probably played his last game as a Pirate.

Makes perfect sense, after two short starts the pitching needs help. Probably no Morris, Gomez, Hughes, or Mazzaro available today

Lambo, Last Blood…………… we hardly knew ye.

81. Nate83 says:

Tabata has played well of late. Lambo looked overmatched. Was a very small sample so it’s hard to tell if that would have continued but he offers very little as a late inning defensive sub or pinch runner. My guess is it’s more about Hurdle having the flexibility to make changes in game. I wouldn’t be surprised if the decision was made by him and not NH. Lambo will be back up in two weeks when roster expands. He doesn’t stay sharp with 5 at bats a week.

82. Nate83 says:

This actually makes more sense then what I posted below.

83. JRay3 says:

Milo- I saw the other day you posted something about TJ being ranked one in HS football. I thought since you cover the football scene and may know this individual I’d share this story with you.

When I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks back I stayed at John “Hoppy” Mitruski’s home in Jefferson Hills. In fact he is about to become part of my extended family as my father is re-marrying his wife Teri’s sister.

The night we arrived at his home he shared more Cherpek and Jaguar stories, showed off his rings and we stayed up til 2 am talking football. Through all he has been through a very energetic guy. He sent me home with much TJ swag, so I found it interesting when you posted that info the other day as I guess they have become my adopted team.

84. Frankie says:

Should be 2-3 for 100

Fire me Brandie………….

I am in the middle of the road on the Hurdle thing, so that automatically makes me stupid, and an idiot.

Fire me, you are a blog legend, I am the blogs “special needs child”, according to some.

SAVE BRANDIE !!!

86. Nate83 says:

He has 1 option left. My guess is he sticks as ogranizational depth. You almost always need 3 catchers. Catchers get hurt a lot. I think he still makes the minimum. Low risk insurance against Martin injury. Not unlike what Shoppach is right now.

87. Brandie says:

Thank you, Mr. Basis.

88. Brandie says:

Hasis! Doggone auto correct!

Rim shot accepted.

Victim of circumstance.

90. JRay3 says:

Actually with at least three pitchers down today due to overuse, seems the me the move mak

91. Brandie says:

You are the blog’s hippo. There is a special place in my heart for the hippo. How about no one gets fired today.

92. Nate83 says:

I actually was very hard on Hurdle last year. I thought he cost the team some games in August when they still had a chance. I think he definately doesn’t rank high for in game decisions but he is hardly the worse at that. He does other things very well so I can live with the occasional questionable in game move.

93. Daquido_Bazzini says:

That was a small cup if coffee.

94. JRay3 says:

100 on 2-3.66

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

95. Daquido_Bazzini says:

OF coffee

Thank you, but you are in the minority.
    I find that out every day, Muppet.

Lets get a W

97. Lad9 says:

Thanks Brandster! Don’t know what’s up with the avatar. I have gone in and checked, changed it, and patted it on the head and it still won’t show it’s face. Maybe I should make it A-Rod; he puts his face out there no matter stupid he looks.

Holy Crap, it’s a strange day.

“+1 to TC and Daq.”

JJ just rolled over in his pizza parlor.

Even a sighting of my Auntie Pro.

Next thing you know, I’ll agree with Thunder on something.

On anything.

Now all we need is for Foo to compliment Dejan’s column.

And then say goodbye forever. Again.

Where’s Jandy? I think I need a good swift kick.

Yeah, but we need pitching help.

Heart problems right ? Longtime softball coach. I’m sure Mr. Hasis could tell us some stories. And count me among the Cherpak fans. Great personality. He actually gave up being a funeral director to take up coaching. We had a few interesting conversations about Pitt football during Todd Graham’s reign of error.

101. Lad9 says:

There is one. Not the one I expected but I will take it

Welcome back, by the way. Missed your steadying influence.

103. Lad9 says:

People either love it or hate it. I happen to love it but there is no middle ground.

After that ThunderDaq Double Plus, Jason Kendall called.

He said Pittsburgh just froze over.

105. Nate83 says:

There has been a Foo siting on Travis Sawchik’s blog.

No word on if any probing went on or if any intelligent lifeform was part of any of this.

106. Lad9 says:

Cutch does hustle all the time and I never want to take it for granted. Too many players with lesser talent loaf, and it makes me insane. Many things in baseball are out of your control. You can do everything right, hit the ball on the button every swing and go 0-4. The one thing you can control is your effort. Anything less than 100% doesn’t cut it. The Pirates are way better than most if not every team in that regard and I credit Cutch for instilling that by example.

Lad, sounds like the blog, eh?

Pizza is a funny food when it comes to loyalty.
    Pizza is a 6 Billion $$$$ industry.
    Millions of pizza shops, and people have their loyalty to one or two. I have had pizza done 30 different ways, and if I would have restricted myself to one or two, I would have missed out on all the others.

Yes, I love pizza.

108. JRay3 says:

Thanks…funny you mention the conversations about Pitt, Hoppy found out I follow Pitt athletics and so we talked about Pitt much as well and some of the local kids -Boyd, Johnson that are going there. I met his daughter who played ball at Penn State so I’ll try not to hold that against her.

Yes he was the longtime softball coach and what little I could gather by some of the articles and like he shared with me in his basement, a very good one.

He had nothing but great things to say about Cherpak and his ability to motivate kids.

109. JRay3 says:

yes heart problems, a few surgeries as well.

50 on the 2 – 3.66, please.

111. Bob Hasis says:

I am not intending to be a sharp-shooter here, but
    your last two sentences are a bit abstract to me.

The part that “he definitely (correct spelling) doesn’t rank high for in-game decisions” is purely subjective – with which I agree – but I can’t really compare that against another.

You then say, “He does other things very well. . . . . “, which is what I do not see. I’m sure there are redeeming values he has, in your mind, which allows you to say, ‘so I can live with the questionable in-game move.” is I guess something that bothers me worse than you.
    Hence my scorn. I paid to get in so I’m allowed to boo.

Has anyone checked with Bobby Cox recently for an update on Charlie’s xFIP ?

113. Nate83 says:

+1 Yes welcome back. I hope you brought back something to swat away all the way over the top negative comments that will happen the next time they fall behind by just 1 run. I wasn’t sure if you got tired of it and just gave up on the blog.

114. Bob Hasis says:

WE had a similar discussion recently, and the conclusion seemed to be Vincent’s on Ardmore Blvd in Forest Hills and Beto’s were tops.

Forgot the Bucs wore the throwbacks on Sundays.

I think one reason they are so popular, especially for me, is they are the last link to Roberto’s playing days.

I think I saw TC in the crowd.

Unless someone else would be holding a “Drew Suc$s” sign.

117. Stuart says:

“IF” only!
    Stuart

118. Nate83 says:

OK what did they do to Charlie Morton? Who is this guy?

119. Stuart says:

And you Brandilator!

Stuart

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Martin just missed one.

1-0 good guys!

121. Nate83 says:

Hurdle strikes again. Why did he bat Martin clean up……..oh wait……..yeah Hurdle.

Pirate record for most consecutive strikeouts is 7 by Erik Bedard. First guy I would have guessed.

123. Nate83 says:

Funny. I remember that game. Everyone was so excited. There was a lot of so this is what it’s like to have a Major League starting pitcher comments. If only we knew how that script would end.

Talk about statistical anomolies……………..

You have to corner Dejan in a Starbucks and get that nugget from him, Milo.

Maybe I can get it out of him if I chance see him in Green Bay in December.

126. JRay3 says:

Well he is the current ace of the Houston Astros. Really….wow.

He is?

I thought he was with the Twins…………………

I was on the golf course and didn’t see it. Therefore as far as I’m concerned, it never happened. :)

130. Bob Hasis says:

These are great stories to read about TJ, Cherpak and high school football.
    I would bore you to tears with all of the adulation I have and the excellence I’ve been told about Cherp’s successes.

I beg your indulgence on just this one – for now.
    Being that I drive a school bus here, I was given the assignment Friday to pick the players up at Camp Cherpak, the elementary school where they practice, and take them to the high school – about 2 miles away – for team photos.
    On Saturday I also did the same thing prior to their scrimmage with South Park.

Cherp mentioned we have an O line and a D line bigger and maybe better than the ones on which Tyler Reed ex-Chicago Bears and Lucas Nix currently with Oakland Raiders played on. For you Milo, there is a kid named Jason Inks, 6’5″ and 305. You need to make yourself aware of him. Of course our QB will be Chase Winovich a full ride Michigan recruit. Without boasting, he plays middle linebacker the way Troy Polamalu plays safety. He free lances with great vision and really is disruptive. His scholarship is for linebacker, but since he is 6’4″ and 220, and runs a 4.4 40, we will employ the wildcat to a great extent.

It should be spectacular. Hope you get a shot at doing a game. We have only 4 home games and must travel to Holidaysburg. I do hope to have that as my assignment however.

BTW, Mitruski was always involved with football at TJ until just a few years ago. I think he coached the offense.

Thanks for the opportunity to expound.

131. Johnson taking Locke’s rotation spot?

Just kidding.

132. Nate83 says:

That is like being the ace of my son’s little league team.

He pulled himself out of a no-hitter earlier this year. There was outrage by some national media. He was already at 100 pitches and only done with six innings. The guy has had two arm surgeries and the national guys wanted him to throw 160 pitches.

133. Nate83 says:

Awesome that makes me even. Just like in golf I will take the -1 as a good thing.

Yes. My wife.

Baltimore loves Bedard. He made them a contender when he was traded to Seattle.

136. JRay3 says:

Great stuff, thanks for adding.

I just gave it to you, because even though I know you are joking with the Hurdle thing, after all that has gone on the past week, it just keeps the crap going, thats all.

No harm meant to you or your joke.

Just sad what has happened recently.

But, since I dont know anything, I give you my apologies.

138. JRay3 says:

Mercer, Mercer me….Bucs take 2-0 lead.

Only shows there is no carry over in baseball, as good as your next day starter and the oppositions.

Mercer with the gapper.

2-0 good guys.

140. Lad9 says:

Same here Hippo. The nice thing about pizza is it is all different and very seldom out and out bad. For what it is worth, my Pittsburgh favorites are:
    Beto’s
    Aiello’s (Squirrel Hill)
    Burgh’s (Bridgeville)
    Mineo’s (sq Hill and Mt Lebo)
    Vincent’s

Outside of the Burgh, I really like Gino’s East and Lou Malnati’s in Chicago. Great deep dish.

141. Baywatch says:

Hey! Maybe Mac is actually auditioning for Neverett’s spot in the booth! I like Neverett: He does have some charm … and a heck of a lot more polish than Greg “It’s Ding-Dong Dinger” Brown!

142. Nate83 says:

Plan I have no issue with your comments ever. You have stated that you are not a fan of Hurdle and you give a logical reason as to why your not a fan of his. That is healthy debate and I respect it. You are also respectful of others on the blog.

It’s that black and white make a crazy over the top comment and then not even bother to give any reason to support that side of it that starts to get old. Mostly not by the normal everyday people that post here but those who just come on and make comments to get people excited.

143. Bob Hasis says:

JRay, your last line is everything about truth. Some great kids have quit over the years which was a big mistake.

He motivates from a negative posture. He drives them hard and rarely compliments them to their face. But to others he is proud to tell how good any of these players are.

No “medications” are tolerated. Just hard practice and a lot of lifting – and then during the game only perfect execution is acceptable. When these kids graduate they invariably say, “thanks coach”.

When he told me about Jason Inks he said, “he’s stronger than he realizes and I want him to play mean on every play” His position is LE on defense on very few wide plays will be successful there. For his size, excellent speed. I can’t recall which position he will play on offense probably LT.

JRay if you are having heart problems, is that what brought you here? You just made the top of my nightly pray for the sick list. You can’t refuse – you have no choice!

Thanks Nate.

145. Brandie says:

Thank you for putting this email not the proper context! :-)

146. Brandie says:

Let’s try that again…

Thank you for putting this into the proper context!

Not drunk posting…I swear!

147. Bob Hasis says:

Milo and JRay

You got me so pleasantly distracted above, I didn’t realize it was 2;30 and we are up 2-0

Hi Brandie.

149. JRay3 says:

Bob – no I do not have any health issues. I was answering Milo that Hoppy was informing me of his heart issues and the multiple surgeries he has endured.

He looked great however and knows he needs to take it easy. He would be the one that could use the prayers and well wishes.

150. Brandie says:

HIPPOSTER! HUGS!!!!!

151. JRay3 says:

Than my apologies as you are missing a great Charlie Morton start. Would be great to close this out, take another series before team heads out west,

That makes more sense.
    Thought you maybe were still celebrating with the wine…………………………..

I made the Hollidaysburg trip last year & it was a hike. I’ll see them week 1 up here. If I see you it won’t be until playoffs but there’s always that chance. Can’t wait to get started. Just about all the pain in the rear behind the scenes stuff is finished so I can concentrate on football. It’s all worth it when the ball goes in the air.

They really, really need to win today.

155. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Thank you to ARRIBA for re-posting for me today.
    I’ll have updated standings sometime this evening.

That was Daq holding the sign

You like Neverett ? ? ?

And I used to like you, Bay.

158. Baywatch says:

Drew by her saying “Drew Suc$s,” is that your wife’s way of saying “Can’t Buy Me Love?”

Hurdle cannot let this snowball right here.

160. Bob Hasis says:

“Thy will be done”

Still no one warming.

162. florida steeler says:

5 inning Charley at it again. And, as usual, no offense. Pedro against a left hander makes no sense.

163. florida steeler says:

How can Bob Walk talk about the improvement of this offense?? These Pirate announcers are a joke.

Disaster averted.

165. JRay3 says:

Huge to get out of it tied up, the double play was big, could have easily gotten away.

166. Baywatch says:

Where’s Xavier Nady when you need him? (answer btw: toiling on the Rockies AAA team)

167. Brandie says:

Make a move, or are the arms falling off? Maybe they are falling from the sky!

Hurdle should have taken Charlie out before they got the 2 runs.

C’mon, guys, this isn’t difficult. :-P :-)

169. irishjim says:

Good job by Charlie to minimize the damage. Had he not gotten that DP ball though and a 5th straight batter reached, he should have been pulled.

170. JRay3 says:

Hmm Morton has gone 6 solid today and has made it six or more innings in seven of his last eight starts, sometimes I wish you knew what you were talking about.

Pedro 30 HR’s, 81 RBI’s speaks for itself doesn’t it?

171. Baywatch says:

I tend to call for his ouster when he gets me all excited over some warning track power. I have more of a love-hate relationship with Greg. But if it wasn’t for him, I’d have never met Greg Brown’s Laugh over on the old P-G blog. Best handle ever!

172. Bob Hasis says:

Yes you right. I told Cherpak I can’t imagine anyone being more excited about football at this time of the year than he is – but if there is one, I’m in contention.

Last year Hollidaysburg had the misfortune of losing to us during the season – at TJ – 58-0, then catching us in the playoff draw.

What I most remember about no insult intended – but they had a majorette who incredibly talented. Truly.

I’ve been told the trek is more than 1 1/2 hours. As long as the freakin’ bus doesn’t have mechanical problems, I will love it!

173. Playoffs by 2012 says:

DON’T FEED THE TROLLS.
    - Lunatic Mgmt.

174. Bob Hasis says:

Sorry my computer is typing slower than my thoughts. I missed a few words

175. florida steeler says:

Quit with the Pirate Kool Aid on Pedro. What is his average against left handers?? Read the damn post before you make your stupid comments

.198

177. florida steeler says:

Thank you for supporting my comment about Pedro vs Left handers.
    But JRay cannot accept objectivity.

178. Bob Hasis says:

That’s not a condescending remark is it?

You know, as in don’t say anything negative when things are going bad.

179. twentytwo22 says:

Third time facing Miley. Mercer gets on and 3-4-5 go 1-2-3. Weak pop up. Weak strikeout. Weak groundball.

Just answering the question. I still have to play him today.

They really can’t afford to let this one get away.

182. twentytwo22 says:

Leadoff walk was inexcusable.

Let the 7 & 8 men get aboard. Can’t happen in that situation.

Where’s the intentional BB with a double play man on deck ?

185. Brandie says:

DAYUM!!!!! Hit Eaton.

186. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Not at all.
    We all know who the trolls are here.

You sir, are NOT one of them.

187. Parrothead01 says:

Here we go again. Another lead off walk with often rial to cost Pirates a game. As good as the pitching staff has been It sure seems the Pirates are one off the leaders in giving lead off walks.

188. Jay H says:

Holy cow that called strike was a foot outside….what a gift….then we plunk him :-(

189. irishjim says:

Be careful not to judge Hurdle for his obvious shortcomings. You will get crucified like I did yesterday by the cult on here.

I’m a big Hippo, but I can be a troll too?
    Non-enquiring minds want to know.

191. florida steeler says:

The cult–with NO OBJECTIVITY gets old.

Gotcha, Playoffs.

193. twentytwo22 says:

Charlie did the job. Let’s see the offense do something.

That was the best thing that happened the whole inning. Gutsy work by Charlie.

195. Bob Hasis says:

I’d say he bounced back quite well

196. Playoffs by 2012 says:

SEE, our hitters aren’t the only ones who leave the bases loaded.

197. JD says:

Big K there!

198. JRay3 says:

HUGE K by Charlie to get Goldy and escape the 7th.

Great start turned in by Morton today!

That was huge for Morotn to get out of that inning!

200. JRay3 says:

And that was an MVPcandidiate that struck out.

201. irishjim says:

202. Lad9 says:

Huge K in the seventh against a dangerous hitter by good old 5 inning Chuck!

203. JRay3 says:

How did 5 inning Charlie do today? Thought so.

No. It’s her way of saying Drew Sucks.

205. John Lease says:

Charlie did his job, again.

Time for Clint to do his, and get someone to hit for the light weights this inning.

206. Tom P. says:

I had the same thought.

Does Charlie come out for the 8th?

208. twentytwo22 says:

Let’s get some runs. Let’s win a frickin game.

209. twentytwo22 says:

I think Watson and Melancon are fresh.

Bob Walk talking about this basically being a playoff game for Arizona. Then what is it for the Pirates ? They won’t even acknowledge that for the Pirates to make the playoffs, this is the team they have to keep out. Sure you want to win the division, but you gotta get there first. And this is the only team that can stop you. This game is every bit as important as the ones they played against St. Louis.

212. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Are you from Florida and a Steeler?

213. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Don’t feed the trolls.

214. The Gunner says:

Thanks, Tabata!!!

Um, hmmmmmm, No.

I havent been to Florida, and I would never steal.

So I dont qualify, and that is a good thing. ;)

Did Lambo make it to Indy yet?

Is it too late to tell him to turnaround ?

Good thing Charlie got through 7 innings. They need to save the relievers that are available for the 12 or 13 innings that are sure to follow.

219. irishjim says:

Well said.

221. irishjim says:

You are using the term incorrectly. Having a different opinion is not trolling. Now, calling someone a troll for that reason is in fact being one.

222. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I don’t have any food.
    Sorry.

You predicting a 19 inning affair?
    Your predictions are fairly accurate.

Watson had an easy out at 2nd there.

225. Playoffs by 2012 says:

If I remember correctly, the game before we shuttled off to San Diego last year was a 19 inning game.

I like Nevvie too, but I’ll admit I’m in the minority there.

227. Bob Hasis says:

Thank you, I was certain I wasn’t in your crosshairs, just wanted to be sure. I guess I am not privy to who the trolls are. And I’m not asking.

Instead of the announcers pointing that out they’re talking about putting shark teeth in the parrot’s beak.

229. JRay3 says:

Great point.

230. Bob Hasis says:

With plenty of time to check and STILL go to first

231. JRay3 says:

Tony Watson with yet another unscored on performance. Nicely done.

Isnt that more important, Milo?

233. twentytwo22 says:

The offense needs to score 1 run and save the bullpen all these extra innings.

Just throwing some numbers out there. Seems the only way they win on Sunday’s at home are extra inning walk offs.

Now THIS is a classic baseball game.
    I much prefer this to a 14-9 AL mess.

Smh

237. Lad9 says:

+ 2-2. Good NL baseball.

Yes sir.

239. JRay3 says:

Nice bunt single by Marteto start things off.

Would be nice to get a run here so it doesnt come to that.

I would like to punch the Parrot, and Pirate announcers in the beak !!! :)

242. Brandie says:

SMH should be the name of this blog.

243. Bob Hasis says:

Great bunt, but the strategy sucks. Cutch gets a BB

Can’t say I’m a fan of Jordy bunting here.

245. JRay3 says:

Well these are the situations Martin seems to thrive in.

I’m good with that one. Safer bet than stealing with the lefty pitching. Only downside ? Might be up to Pedro vs. the lefty.

247. Patrick(ri) says:

Especially since he drilled Miley last ab.

Sigh.

Or that.

250. Patrick(ri) says:

What was that???

251. twentytwo22 says:

They bunted a guy with 2 hits today. They get caught stealing. What a stupid offensive inning.

252. irishjim says:

Vintage Hurdle. No reason for Marte to be running there, as he scores on any hit.

253. Tom P. says:

254. Bob Hasis says:

With that speed on base they did NOT need to be running unless you wanted Cutch to score from first on a single.

The Wizard strikes again!

255. Parrothead01 says:

Man, it would be nice to have just one hitter that could hot with runners in scoring position. I have enjoyed watching the Pirates this year, but they are also so frustrating to watch.

I tend to agree on that one,

There was no sign there. He went on his own.

258. Bob Hasis says:

If Marte went on his own Then Leyva IS AT FAULT, for not demanding he hold

The Wizard being Marte?

Did you want him to rope him like a calf ?

261. Bob Hasis says:

That is probably what is required. He doesn’t take verbal directives real well

262. irishjim says:

I’m not one for defending Leyva but that one made me spit out beer.

How the heck could Leyva do that, Bob? He’d get thrown out at second then when he was trying to get back.

It would be funny to see………………

265. Patrick(ri) says:

As DK said the other day, agony is part of the game. But you are right — really frustrating.

266. JRay3 says:

The bunt was standard fare, getting thrown out at third unacceptable.

267. Bob Hasis says:

You know, that the manager/coach has every right to be in control of that situation

269. Patrick(ri) says:

How about one of those dog training collars?

270. Bob Hasis says:

The lead run, potential winning run is already in scoring position in a tie game in the bottom of the eighth. Come guys, let’s own up to something here

271. twentytwo22 says:

Ho hum 2 scoreless innings from Watson.

272. Patrick(ri) says:

Watson is the real deal!

273. JRay3 says:

Watson = Nails, two shutdown innings now let’s walk this one off.

274. irishjim says:

We are trolls for not praising the golden calf that is Clint Hurdle.

275. twentytwo22 says:

Score 1 run win a game Pirates. 1 stinking run. You can do it!

No ones arguing it was a good decision to run. You blamed it on Leyva. Do you have a suggestion, short of Milo’s suggestion, how he could have accomplished that?

277. twentytwo22 says:

Leadoff walk by Alvarez. 5 pitches against the LOOGY.

278. Patrick(ri) says:

An opportunity for Walker.

279. Lad9 says:

Gotta pinch hit with Jones….

280. irishjim says:

Those hand-to-face signs they have been using in baseball forever. A simple “run only on contact” would have done.

That’s a ridiculous statement.

Lou Brock stole 938 bases & never once slid head first. And therefore never hurt his hand in the process.

283. Patrick(ri) says:

Or Jones, who certainly won’t bunt.

284. twentytwo22 says:

270 feet to go. 2 outs to get there.

285. John Lease says:

I was hoping Sanchez had won it, took so long, turns out it was a pitching change…

C’mon Jones DO something.

286. John Lease says:

I should have been more specific.

Since popping out is doing something…

287. Bob Hasis says:

AS you wish

288. John Lease says:

Tabata, do it for my mental health, please.

Walker for Barmes when we get there.

290. The Gunner says:

It is time for a Tabata walk off

291. Parrothead01 says:

It’s a shame how bad Jones is this year.

292. John Lease says:

Ah.

293. Patrick(ri) says:

Wonder if he is thinking about that photobof him striking out with bases laded? Get even.

294. John Lease says:

I can’t take this anymore. I just can’t.

295. Nate83 says:

They are ranked 4th out of 15 NL teams since the all star break compared to 11th before the all star break. That is by definition an improvement.

296. John Lease says:

Who’s left on the bench, just Tony Sanchez?

297. John Lease says:

Should have been ball 3

Marte has to stay in. We’re out of players. Tony Sanchez is it.

299. John Lease says:

Ok, runners going, just get it over the infield.

Maybe we could try to steal 3rd. Sorry.

301. Bob Hasis says:

Well here we go again – all in. I hope we score

302. John Lease says:

Too bad Presley isn’t on the team right now, but maybe Tony can make this game a winner.

303. John Lease says:

That was mean! :)

304. John Lease says:

2 called strikes? Watson could do that.

305. twentytwo22 says:

180 feet to go.

Pinch looking.

So now we are all out of position players?

308. John Lease says:

I guess he wanted the entire collection.

309. JRay3 says:

Tony at least swing at it…would like to see Melancon here with top of our order due up in 10th.

310. Patrick(ri) says:

Looking — like a rookie.

311. twentytwo22 says:

At least Liriano throws a shutout.

312. The Gunner says:

What a minor league effort by Tony Sanchez!! Shoppach will be up soon.

313. twentytwo22 says:

This inning certainly favors the Pirates. *fingers crossed*

314. Bob Hasis says:

So Walker replaces Barmes, and here all along I thought Barmie was the late inning defensive replacement. What gives?

Cmon, CH be consistent. You know you can’t trust Mercer’s defense

He did remind me of Steve Pearce in that situation.

316. Reading says:

I’m thinking, winning run on second, two outs. How about looking at three pitches. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

317. Nate83 says:

What you just did was the definition of sharp shooting. You pointed out a word I spelled incorrectly and you agreed with me saying Clint wasn’t good at in-game decisions which was purely an opinion with no stats to back it up but questioned the validity of the comment. Your post says a lot more about you then me. I tried to find some grey in our discussion and you just made me not want to attempt that ever again.

318. twentytwo22 says:

LET’S GET A FRICKIN RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

319. Patrick(ri) says:

If Martin goes down does Walker go behind the plate? Lets end this thing, now.

In order to hit the ball, one must swing.
    Pirate batters arent swinging, so they wont hit the ball.

Even I know that.

321. twentytwo22 says:

Jordy .315/.340/.511 .851 from the 2 spot.

322. BidDaddy13 says:

Nate,
    Sorry. I didn’t realize you we’re joking. I, too, am sick of those jumping on Hurdle. What do these people want? They are 22 over.

323. John Lease says:

A single! How about that, a 3 hit game for Jordy.

324. John Lease says:

Well, that was quick.

Their anemic bats have put this very important game in the hands of Kris Johnson.

326. John Lease says:

Bell pitched 2, Melancon can pitch two. Let’s wait awhile before Jared Hughes stomps out of the bullpen, please.

327. John Lease says:

Can’t imagine he’d be nervous.

329. JRay3 says:

Not what the bullpen needed today…this is like playoff baseball, DBacks fighting for their season and to stay in race, Pirates fighting for top billing in toughest division of NL.

And now welcome to the show Kris Johnson.

330. BidDaddy13 says:

I only think heads would roll if there were another horrendous collapse. That, I don’t believe will happen. Nate, you make very valid points, here.

331. John Lease says:

Jesus H. Melancon threw 9 frigging pitches.

Too much I guess.

Saw him pitch in Florida, he looked good. But then so did Phil Irwin.

You doesn’t have to call him Johnson !

334. John Lease says:

Hey, strike 1!
    Welcome to the majors.

335. Mrevo says:

I can’t take any more of this! Can we please, please, please get Morneau and Michael Young!

336. John Lease says:

Hmm, no out.

337. John Lease says:

Too pricey.

338. John Lease says:

Hey, you are at this game TC, get them a frigging run!

339. JRay3 says:

If Mercer fields that cleanly it is an easy double play.

340. Bob Hasis says:

He’s too fast for that to be a DP

It’s not so much the ones you turn, it’s the ones you don’t. – Bob Prince

342. irishjim says:

Welcome to the show Johnson!

I just counted. Somebody check my math. But this is their 142nd extra inning game of the year, right?

I mean, so far. Season’s not over.

344. John Lease says:

1 out, and the longest pick off attempt in internet history.

345. JRay3 says:

Ok Kris Johnson gets it with next batter, nice work by the rookie. Need to end this now.

347. twentytwo22 says:

Kris Johnson just pitched a scoreless inning in extra innings of a tie game in his major league debut. LET’S GO OFFENSE DON’T MAKE HIM THROW TWO YOU LIFE SUCKING DOGS.

348. Bob Hasis says:

I knew that comedic routine. It’s still funny.

349. John Lease says:

Gameday blows, but evidently something caused outs 2 and 3. On to the bottom of the inning!

He’s tall

351. irishjim says:

He is a starter at Indy, so our offense could hang him out to dry for 3 or 4 scoreless innings….

They better hurry up, the subject of dinner just came up.

353. John Lease says:

It’s the unhittable one, De la Rosa.

C’mon bums, swing hard at least.

C’mon, Bob. Fess up— would your response have been the same if Clint Barmes had done it? C’mon. :-)

355. twentytwo22 says:

The Pirates have made 3 outs on the last 3 pitches they saw.

356. John Lease says:

I’m not loving gameday, how about getting Alvarez to the plate before he’s out?

I like that, 22.

Bullpen = Shark Tank. And the batters = Life Sucking Dogs.

Perfect. Animal lovers.

358. Bob Hasis says:

I believe at some point, the Vandy grad has to be smart enough to realize he must hit lefties; otherwise he will fail, or have a very mediocre career

359. John Lease says:

At least Jones took a strike right down the middle. Way to go.

360. Fish says:

Things I have learned today….. Hurdle and/or Leyva must both be at least mildly retarded for not telling Marte that there was no need or reason to attempt to steal third base in that situation, for not stopping him halfway and sending him back, and for allowing him to slide head first……Morton is only a major league pitcher up to the fifth inning, at which point he should be taken out behind the bullpen and put out of his misery, if only Hurdle was mentally stable enough to make that call….this morning I woke up late and am now convinced that this may well have been Clint Hurdle’s fault, he is an awful manager and coach, but he does it in a way that should be obvious given his teams lousy record and position in the standings with such a stellar offensive line-up. He is crafty at being horrendous, I will give him that…..it also turns out that trolls are just about as annoying as being forced to watch a flyers highlight video while having a root canal done…….

Oh my yes. It’s past 4:00.

362. Patrick(ri) says:

Really do not want to see the rookie pitching to Goldschmidt. Get a run, give him a win.

363. John Lease says:

A foul! Progress…

364. John Lease says:

I find long tedious posts annoying. Especially with coy ‘handles’.

365. Mrevo says:

+1, lol

366. John Lease says:

At least he made him throw a lot of pitches?

367. Fish says:

nothing “coy” about my handle….It’s my name…..

368. irishjim says:

Not much of my stuff is original. Or comedy

The Phoenix counterpart to Bob Hasis just crushed Gibson for that move in the Arizona Republic’s blog.

371. chethejet says:

No question with lack of bats this cripples the ability to score runs and have a couple of easy games. Does anyone really believe Nutting will pony up the kind of jing to sign Alvarez when the time comes or make a big splash in the off season. Martin was the biggest off season FA signing money wise ever. Think about that, 14 million over two years and that is what you hang your hat on. I can’t get behind this franchise LT until I see Nutting spend money on a equal basis with the REDs at the very least.

372. John Lease says:

And, another righty comes in. Tabata can you do something positive?

373. John Lease says:

Really? A one name guy huh, like Cher? Interesting.

Milo, this may go 19.

375. John Lease says:

On to the 12th. Pirate killer Wil Nieves in the game too. Uh oh.

Well, lost 100 whatevers on this game now.

377. Steelag70 says:

Bucco bullpen is earning their money this month…

No chance.Jordy Mercer will be pitching by then.

379. Bob Hasis says:

Your philosophy is suffocating too – did you hear about that this morning?

380. JRay3 says:

Well NH did say they would give thought to Kris Johnson making a spot start, just didn’t know it was going to be on his first day with team.

381. John Lease says:

C’mon Johnson. Evidently you got Nieves out, but gameday will never tell.

382. Steelag70 says:

Lol

Hahahahaha!!!

TC—I hope that isn’t you doing the “Woo’s”

385. John Lease says:

Dammit.

386. Bob Hasis says:

I think the Pirates are finding out that Arizona can hit. What do you think Fish?

387. John Lease says:

Prado, could you roll over on one, please?

388. Bob Hasis says:

Thank you. Was it eloquent?

389. John Lease says:

Breaking Bad is on at 9, will the Pirates still be playing?

Remember, there’s no such thing as clutch.

Well, they’re out of lefties. Got em right where we want em for the last of the 14th.

392. John Lease says:

Outs!?!?!?

393. Patrick(ri) says:

May as well find out what this guy has.

394. John Lease says:

Dammit, Kong is up, walk him.

395. Parrothead01 says:

You notice how other teams left handed hitters have no trouble getting hits off our left handed pitchers because they go the other way instead of trying to pull everything. I wish our left handed hitters would occasionly try going opposite field.

Hurdle going with the “there’s no chance Aaron Hill will get 5 hits” theory.

397. Brandie says:

I decided to go to the store during the ninth. Figured I would not miss much, if anything.

398. John Lease says:

Kris Johnson has only had intentional walks in his major league career.

Small sample size though…

Really? This is what you’re thinking about during this game?

400. John Lease says:

The theory was correct!

401. Bob Hasis says:

Marte and Cutch cover the outfield better than the Tarpaulin.

Marte caught that with one hand.

Woo !

403. Brandie says:

Will Johnson be a shark, or will he be chum?!

404. JRay3 says:

One heck of a sliding one handed catch by Marte…Johnson two scoreless, and it appears he will also get his first major league AB as well, maybe he will hit one out to end this.

405. John Lease says:

Come ON Neil. Do it for Westmoreland County.

Brandie, you could go to Cleveland & not miss anything.

407. Steelag70 says:

C’mon Buccos let’s end this damn thing…

408. Patrick(ri) says:

Glad Marte did not have to make a throw. Nice play, but did you see how he protected his right hand?

409. Bob Hasis says:

You sir, are correct!

410. Brandie says:

Matte and Cutch…The Cling Wrap of Baseball!

As a Westoreland County-ite, I second that emotion.

412. John Lease says:

Do it for all of our sakes Neil.

413. John Lease says:

YES! Now, bunt him over Johnson.

414. John Lease says:

We’ll see how much bunting practice they have in AAA. Just catch the ball with your bat.

Way to go, Kris!

What did she ever do to you???

I don’t think he can swing the bat.

418. John Lease says:

C’mon Marte.

419. Bob Hasis says:

Does he have a broken finger or what?

420. John Lease says:

Do it for the pie in the face.

421. John Lease says:

Well, at least he got him closer.

Time to root for a wild pitch!

Need a wild pitch, or a shaving cream sandwich for Jordy.

423. John Lease says:

Jordy has HOMERED against Colmenter? What are the odds of that?

424. Brandie says:

It’s my mere presence and sheer mouthiness that gets folks going.

425. Bob Hasis says:

Walk him Walk him he’s a baaaaaad man

426. John Lease says:

Ok, it’s up to McCutchen.

427. John Lease says:

Mercer is on fire!

The saddest guy in Pittsburgh is the pilot sitting in the cockpit on the Pirates charter jet at PIT.

Well, Martin seems to end every one of these on Sunday’s.

430. John Lease says:

An intentional walk?

431. Patrick(ri) says:

Got our late inning guy up.

432. John Lease says:

How about ending this with a grand slam?

433. Steelag70 says:

C’mon Russ….

434. Lad9 says:

I guarantee you won’t miss anything while in Cleveland…

435. Bob Hasis says:

See this is what coaches do; they have a meeting and give direct verbal instruction

436. Steelag70 says:

I would just take a single….lol.

437. John Lease says:

Ball 1!

438. Lad9 says:

Damn!

Sigh again.

440. John Lease says:

Oh for F’s sake.

Do it for Alyssa Milano.

442. Steelag70 says:

UGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Except for the river burning……………

444. Brandie says:

This is the game that wouldn’t end…

It just goes on and on, my friends….

445. Steelag70 says:

Does this offense know that it’s allowed to score after the 5th inning????

446. Brandie says:

F=Fred. What about Barney?

447. Bob Hasis says:

Not to mention prematurely, but Johnson looks pretty good.

448. Steelag70 says:

Nice work today by Johnson….

449. Patrick(ri) says:

Johnson makes Arizona lefties look like Pirates with RISP. Very impressive.

450. JRay3 says:

Well certainly one positive- the situation does not appear to be too big for Kris Johnson. Just great effort and work he has given team today.

KKKKKris Johnson. What a debut.

452. twentytwo22 says:

Alvarez-Jones-Tabata-Walker

454. Lad9 says:

Cuyahoga. An old Indian word meaning water that burns….

455. Steelag70 says:

LOL

I’m calling it now. GIWalkoff

I think I know what the scouting report is on Pedro.

458. Steelag70 says:

Does Gibson have any more lefties in the pen?

459. Steelag70 says:

Good Lord….I say Jones needs to go after this season…

460. Steelag70 says:

And Jones too….

461. Parrothead01 says:

I think Garrett has challenged Gabby to see who can get to .200 first.

462. Brandie says:

Here, I thought Cuyahoga meant chunky river.

463. twentytwo22 says:

3 minor league at-bats.

464. Mrevo says:

Why wait until after the season? He is a big black hole in the middle of the lineup.

465. Steelag70 says:

Damn….can ANYONE not strike out?????????????????

Wouldn’t matter if Daniel Day Lewis was throwing with his left foot.

467. Brandie says:

Just call him K-Train!

Former Cub alert.

Now it’s gotten to the point that I’ll even be irritated if they win.

Just got him.

BTW, Buccos out of positional players.

471. Tom P. says:

One of these teams is going to make the playoffs. I’m not sure if that weighs in favor of or against the second wild card.

The Root Sports camera guy is sitting right behind me

So , so tempting ………..

473. Bob Hasis says:

I’d say this game is not only important, but may well be a portent – of the rest of the season

… not with the pitchers.

475. Keith says:

I vote for Kris Johnson for the postseason roster.

476. John Lease says:

Eaton remains a non-4 hit guy today!

478. John Lease says:

Collmenter gone, don’t the Diamonbacks have any suck pitchers?

479. Steelag70 says:

Johnson is a beast….

480. twentytwo22 says:

Walker-Pitcher-Marte

481. Tom P. says:

Maybe B. Cumpton, too.

482. John Lease says:

I really wasn’t thinking Bedrock…

483. JRay3 says:

Ok seriously who had Kris Johnson with four shutout innings today?

484. John Lease says:

2.13 ERA? Geeze.

485. Keith says:

I’d currently be in favor of dropping Bryan Morris.

486. John Lease says:

Ball 1 though, a good sign.

487. Steelag70 says:

Collmenter sucked two innings ago but we left the bases loaded….

488. John Lease says:

So much for that. Maybe Kris can hit?

I think Sabermetricians score more often than the Pirates.

490. John Lease says:

Mrs. Johnson?

491. twentytwo22 says:

6 pitches. Like they don’t even care.

This one goes down in Pirates lore-no matter what happens.

493. kr70 says:

GI jones said we don’t need to up grade at the trade deadline. And I tell my wife the same thing. pretty much for the same reasons.

494. John Lease says:

At least Kris could make contact. C’mon Marte, just hit one out.

495. Steelag70 says:

God almighty….this offense is putrid….

496. John Lease says:

And Kris Johnson had 2 of them!

:-)

POTD

Gotta reprint that one for NMR

Anybody want to talk about Morneau, Dunn and/or just about anybody after the game?

501. Brandie says:

The Buccos were playing the Diamondbacks when I started my 20 year nap. I just woke up. How did that game end anyway?

I think to see another team with a winning record, yet have such a horrible hitting team, we would have to go back to the 1906 Chicago White Sox.

But they did win the WS that year.

Go back to sleep. ;)

504. Brandie says:

I know. Just being a smart a$$!

The dead ball era.

Why?

They cost too much.
    We would have to give up a prospect.
    They arent any better than we have now.
    They stink.

Did I miss any?

507. Steelag70 says:

I’m glad they brought Johnson up to strengthen the bullpen, but why shorten your bench??

And this is different than the Pirates hitters, how exactly?

If I’m a Pirate, and I hit a walkoff homer, I pump my fist ala Gibson when rounding second.

510. Keith says:

The Bucs acquired pitcher Doug Mathis. Is he a potential pinch-hitter in September?

I think Kris Johnson could get Chris Johnson out.

512. twentytwo22 says:

Mercer-McCutchen-Martin-Alvarez-Jones

The lineup is set to score 1 run. No excuses. Get the job done. Win this game.

513. Bob Hasis says:

Did Mercer get a hit last time and then get erased on a DP?

514. Keith says:

In this case, as exasperating as it is, giving up, say, three at-bats in a squeaker is nothing compared to having a guy pitch five innings of shutout ball in extras.

515. Steelag70 says:

Amen….

516. kr70 says:

if your a pirate and you hit a walk off homer in this game you’ll have a statue outside the stadium

517. Tom P. says:

Kris Johnson, filling the traditional role of the long man out of the bullpen, has thrown 5 innings, 3 hits, 1 intentional walk, and 4 strikeouts. All on 59 pitches.

518. Keith says:

This is the Dead Bats Era.

Cmon Andrew!

Sorry, not with ya there, plan.

521. twentytwo22 says:

McCutchen over-swings trying to be a hero and strikes out like an idiot.

522. irishjim says:

Props to the fans who are still there…this is some brutal baseball and beer sales ended what 90 minutes ago

Haven’t scored in 12 innings, 3 and a half hours.

524. Mrevo says:

Cutch no es clutch

525. Steelag70 says:

JEEEEBUUUUSSSS…..

526. Steelag70 says:

OVERRRRATTTEEDDD!!!!!!!

I know they arn’t hitting, but this why I watch baseball.

528. OK on the first 2, but not so much on the second 2, bro.

Bull$&@%

530. Steelag70 says:

Johnson may be starting to tire….

531. John Lease says:

Johnson is losing it, so glad the team couldn’t do jack for him too.

This is why being a Pirates fan is a curse.

532. chethejet says:

This game is very much like the Atlanta loss two years ago. Don’t be surprised if this game is the turn around game for the season. This coming west coast trip could be a disaster and the Bucs may have to struggle to make the wildcard over the diamond backs.

533. Steelag70 says:

Arriba…relaxxxxx…

534. Patrick(ri) says:

Need a dp. Johnson is out of gas.

Gentlemen, those are not things I am saying.
    Those are things posters have put up on here since before the trade deadline.
    I am in agreement with both of you that an upgrade is needed!

536. Steelag70 says:

How long will CH wait to take him out??

537. twentytwo22 says:

It’s not Kris Johnson’s fault that the team quit 5 innings ago.

Instead of the jolly roger, methinks Hurdle is raising the white flag. Nobody in the pen. It’s all yours rookie.

539. Patrick(ri) says:

Would a loss be better than a rain delay?

540. Steelag70 says:

I guess I have my answer…lol…

It’ll be a crime if he gets this loss, but he was a starter at Indianapolis, and the bench is bare. The offense will deserve this loss.

542. Steelag70 says:

No matter what happens, Johnson has impressed today….

543. Steelag70 says:

Agreed…glad they brought him up, but why shorten your bench to do so??

544. Cobra39 says:

Game over. Tough loss.

545. Steelag70 says:

C’mon kid….

Uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

It burns! It burns!

Well at least they tried.
    Johnson did well today.

Pirates 2-7 in their last 9 games.
    Suggestions?

548. Steelag70 says:

Damn…

No question about it.

550. Patrick(ri) says:

Go for a rainout!

551. Steelag70 says:

I guess CH didn’t want to use asnyone else this inning…

552. Steelag70 says:

Buccos will be 1 game up on the Cards and 2.5 on the Reds….

553. Steelag70 says:

Dang Pedro….

554. Steelag70 says:

AMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAZZZZING

555. SJB says:

This next road trip should be juuuust wonderful.

556. Patrick(ri) says:

Use Cole.

I didn’t put it all in CAPS.

558. Lad9 says:

Pinch hit with Cole?

559. radio wave says:

It seems as though collapses one into work traced back to extra innings games. Are we at that moment now for collapse number three? Can anyone bring themselves to root for the Brewers against the Cardinals for the next few days?

560. Steelag70 says:

What incompetence to shorten your bench….

561. Steelag70 says:

WTH?????????????/ At least use someone who can hit….where is Cole?????????

Don’t forget. They are all set for that pennant race in 2015. This one doesn’t count.

I love Dejan’s columns but no columnist should have to write a column about acquiring offensive help on August 18.

563. twentytwo22 says:

We’ll see if this team is any different coming up on this road trip. Liriano and Burnett pitch 4 of the 7 games.

Last year they were 72-67 and played 14 of 17 on the road. They went 4-13. Right now they are 2-7 in a stretch of 13 of 16 on the road. The offense is to blame for 4 of those losses.

The offense that we are waiting to come around is filled with players who have choked away two seasons in a row.

Management is sitting on their lazy ass. They don’t care. So we’ll see what this team is made of.

The Padres and Giants are way below .500. A 4-3 trip would show me a lot.

Let the spinmeisters spin this any way they like. But this team has lost 7 out of 9 and looked very sloppy doing it. The pitching, hitting & defense have all been to blame at one time or another. And for the 1st time this season they look beaten, physically & mentally. This ain’t good. It ain’t good at all.

Canines having trouble swallowing.

Even head cheerleader Greg Brown was surprised at Johnson hitting.

567. David Galbraith says:

Put Lambo at first base.

568. JRay3 says:

Unreal, just an epic failure of the bats today. Going to make the drive to SD tomorrow a longer one. 16, 14, 12 inning losses nothing to show for effor pen has been given.

Kris Johnson throws 82 pitches and now is no good for four days, so he probably goes back to Indy and someone else up. Great effort by the young man.

This one stings, team needs to right the ship quickly, upcoming trip will tell a lot. At least Liriano our stopper goes tomorrow hope for another complete game.

Yep.

And it’s gonna be ugly later tonight and tomorrow on here.

We’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

570. radio wave says:

And it could be a long travel night setting up excuses for tomorrow. There are no landings allowed at the San Diego airport after 11 PM their local time. If the Pirates charter leaves in say two hours what will they do flight Orange County and bus down? Sounds like the excuses for tomorrow’s loss may already be in place

571. TJ says:

It’s not 2015 yet. No use writing about something that should have happened by now but is obvious is not going to happen.

572. TJ says:

Doesn’t help when your not getting any help

Agreed on Liriano. Wasted efforts for Morton and Johnson today.

I just cannot figure why the brains……… aka neal……… havent at least taken a flyer on Morneau, etc.

This offense is going to kill the Pirates playoff chances, if they keep stinking like they are.
    And, the Pirates historically struggle on the West Coast.

Oh well, thats baseball, I guess.

574. SJB says:

The Padres? The team that OWNS the Pirates even when they are the worst in baseball. I don’t see anything positive coming out of that series. If the Pirates win one that will be an amazing accomplishment and that’s no BS.

575. SJB says:

They don’t need a new excuse, they have a closet full of them dating back 20 years now to pick from and any one of them would be acceptable at this point. They are the ones I go to as well and they never fail…unlike this team anymore it seems.

Woof, woof. :)

577. BreakTheStreak says:

What an effort by Johnson!! But the Bucs look tired and have no gas in the tank. Even Russell Martin looks like he needs 3 days of sleep. His body language looked like a beaten man today. 3 series’ losses in a row and we never play well on the west coast. Still hope we can get 85-86 wins but who knows

578. The Gunner says:

Since 1958 (the year the Giants & Dodgers moved to the West Coast), the Pirates have consistently had trouble winning games in California.

PS – this offense is SICK, the BMTIB is in denial!!

579. WVStarship says:

I see the Bucs need 10 more wins to break The Streak.

Does Liriano have 10 more starts this season? No?

Drat.

580. twentytwo22 says:

Trade for Morneau and you eliminate one of the choke artists, Garrett Jones. Garrett Jones wasn’t good enough to make the Twins when they were a playoff contender. Jones latches on with a bottom feeder and plays good. As the bottom feeder gets better he gets worse. When they collapsed last year Jones played his best. The roof was caving in and he went unnoticed. Now that they need him, he is a non-entity.

Get Hunter Pence and you transplant two been-there, done-that hitters into the middle of a lineup of inexperienced chokers.

Marte
    Walker
    McCutchen
    Morneau
    Pence
    Alvarez
    Martin
    Mercer

I think they would rub off positively on the other hitters. Much more so than the manager or hitting coach.

The Pirates are starting off at a higher level and the Diamondbacks are way back there. I just don’t know why anyone would want to chance it with the current makeup of the team. Do you really expect hitters who hit poorly with men on base and have a history of choking to figure it out on their own and carry this through successfully? Neal Huntington has brass balls if he says yes.

581. SJB says:

I don’t know how anyone can look at a winning record at this point as something to hang their hats on. Anything less than a playoff appearance will be a disaster for this season. We’re talking about a team that for much of the season was one of the best – if not THE best – in baseball, a team that was 26 games over .500 on August 6th and yet finishing over .500 is still acceptable and something to fall back on simply because it breaks a 20 year losing streak that will never be beaten by another team anyway? Holy frank and beans batman! You’ve GOT to be kidding me! Good thing humanity had higher hopes and goals, or we’d still be long from inventing the wheel.

582. florida steeler says:

Where are the Pedro apologists that think he should play against lefties??? 0-6 today ladies and gentlemen–oh, but I know he has 30 home runs and 81 RBI’s. BFD.

583. Playoffs by 2012 says:

As promised, the updated standings are below.

76 Total Players now!

pattonbb ~ -1100
    JD ~ -1275
    Kevin ~ -1635
    Bizrow ~ -4200

***The Most Points for the end of AUGUST will win:***
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES BUMPER STICKER

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER

1st prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Wanna see 2nd prize ? 2nd prize is a set of steak knives. 3rd prize your fired.

A, B, C.

A – always. B – Be. C – Closing. Always be closing. ALWAYS BE CLOSING.

This loss isn’t on Pedro.

It isn’t even on Hurdle. (Well, maybe.)

This loss is on Thunder.

We throw him out there every fifth day. And when he walks out of PNC Park, we expect a win.

We frigging DEMAND it.

What has happened to Garrett Jones?

587. The Gunner says:

Pedro is the only legitimate power threat they have – he needs to play all the time

588. The Gunner says:

Garrett is absolutely putrid in 2013

We let Wade Miley stick around for 8 innings

590. Reading says:

The August Arghhh is the prelude to the September Su … Swoon.

Don’t encourage him, Gunner.

He’s just trying to pass the buck.

Sorry, Gunner, we should be playing JHay against lefties. It’s the only rational conclusion. Or Martin. :-P

The next three games will definitely tell a lot. We have Liriano, AJ and Cole going.

I didn’t make the third out trying to steal third

I didn’t get picked off first.

And like a lot of hitters I didn’t get any 2-out hits

Look at Jandy and Brandie shooting up the August leaderboard!!!!

597. WVStarship says:

And Liriano is likely to be the only pitcher that the offense shows up for. If we’re lucky.

598. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The good news is…you’re fired.

Um, didnt we have those 3 in Colorado? Or was Cole skipped a start?

600. WVStarship says:

That BFHD to you fella, :)

601. Bob Hasis says:

How can he go 0-6 with a couple K’s then stride back to the dugout with an indifferent look of nonchalance?

Man, we’re fighting for a division title, a wild card spot, a pennant and a WS.

I still love his arm and generally his fielding.

And your point?

I am just asking.
    Relax.

Or are questions not allowed anymore?

Having those 3 starters does give some hope, but they were the same pitchers, (I think) that were swept in Colorado.

So lets hope the good comes out, and not the bad.

604. WVStarship says:

Pedro has 3 HR, 9BB and 46Ks against left handers. And a .204 average (which is actually higher than I expected). The guy is the closest thing to an automatic out there is against lefties.

605. Tom P. says:

Cole was skipped. It was Liriano, Burnett and Locke. If it matters (and it might), Petco Park is more pitcher friendly than Coors. Since the Pirates generally can’t score more than three runs a game, any advantage that the pitchers have is needed.

San Diego is four games above .500 at home, and the Pirates are 1 game above .500 on the road. From that standpoint, it is fairly even.

Um.

Thank You for answering that, Tom.
    I honestly couldnt remember who started.

But that doesnt matter now.
    We just need wins.

2012: August 8th – 63-47. Last time at high water mark, 16 games over.
    August 9th on – 16-36.

2013: August 8th – 70-44. High water mark, 26 games over.
    August 9th on – 2-7.

I don’t know (shrugs).

609. Tom P. says:

No problem. I just happened to remember. You are right, wins are needed. On the bright side, the two pitchers who earned the wins in the last 9 games (Liriano and Cole) are starting two of the next three games.

610. Tom P. says:

Not exactly the trend one wants to repeat.

611. Brandie says:

This the best zero score, ever!

See, Gunner?

613. Thunder says:

hey, can’t we go back to blaming DK?!

He’s the one who wrote TODAY that the bats need to get it done.

:D

hey, can’t we go back to blaming DK?!

He’s the one who wrote TODAY that the bats need to get it done.

(this is the second time I am posting this. the first time I was so ‘excited’ that I couldn’t even spell my own name correctly)

All of us?

617. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Milo, don’t get offended, this is just my own brand of humor.
    My tongue is planted every so firmly in my cheek as I type this…

2014: August 8th — 80-36.
    August 9th on – 10-36.

2015: August 8th — 115-0.
    August 9th on – 0-47.

I for one will try to look surprised when this happens.
    ;)

-Playoffs Foo

Well one thing we won’t have to deal with in San Diego is that the game isn’t played in Colorado. A little more forgiving if your pitcher makes a mistake or is having a rough night.

619. The Gunner says:

Drew

Tab Douglas thinks the Bucs will be bringing up Matt Hague to play 1B shortly.

620. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Put that coffee down!
    Coffee is for closers only!

621. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The best thing about baseball — There is always another game to be played.
    The worst thing about baseball — There is always another game to be played.

I think their outfield is bigger than PNC’s.
    Or close.

623. Playoffs by 2012 says:

At night, yes.
    During the day-time it is much easier to put one in the seats.

I believe the phenomenon is called the Marine Layer.

C’mon, man. You’re complaining?

This is what they do.

And they do it well.

Blow my brains out. Please.

I’ll map quest directions for you.

That is the funniest thing I’ve seen in, like, forever.

Your own freaking name.

But no. I blame Dejan for the last 20 years.

Tonight’s on you.

627. The Gunner says:

Drew

Should I take your response to mean that you do not like the Matt Hague project, 2013 version?

Tab Douglas = filler.

Seriously, Free Matt Hague?!

I did stay until the end.

By myself.

(the friend I went with had to go home after the 11th)

630. Ghost says:

I told Ryan he was toast, but he put on a brave face and ‘claimed’ he wasn’t scared. Jandy and Brandie are going to have to lace up some Everlast gloves to settle this thing at season’s end.

What a great film! Never has the F word been used so artistically. Except, perhaps, in Goodfellas or Raging Bull.

Oh, De Niro turned 70 yesterday. Feel old now ?

Maybe Lambo can play first base.

And pitch.

And cook.

633. Brandie says:

Get your popcorn! Brandie vs Jandy…THE FINAL SMACKDOWN! :-)

634. The Gunner says:

You know how cheap the BMTIB is. That’s the big advantage of Hague.

Maybe they should bring in Xavier Nady and let him play 1B – he’d be inexpensive.

635. Ghost says:

Gang, these Bucs are NOT throwing in the towel. Yes, the offense is pathetic but we’ve known that all year long. The team battled for 16 innings, today. Most of their losses this month have been fights that could have gone either way. I know So. Cal has been unkind to us, but SD is a sad-sack team that is just what the doctor ordered. These last few weeks is the test we knew that would come. Though the results have been sucking, it hardly feels like the boys have tucked their tales between their legs and surrendered. For as much losing as we’ve been doing, we still stand in first place.

I just saw the replay of the Rays walk-off home run against the Blue Jays today.

Pitching for Toronto: Brad Lincoln.

I feel bad for the guy.

637. DJ says:

Our situational hitting has been atrocious, but we also need a few starters to give us 7 or more innings on this road trip.

And holding a lead for a couple innings would be nice as well.

Not sure how many people are still around tonight so I may repost this tomorrow too.

I like Nick Leyva and think he does a good job. He gets way too much blame. And they way this team hits and runs the bases, knowing when to send or hold a runner has got to be very difficult.

But I saw something very unusual during today’s game. I can’t remember if it was when we scored in the 1st or 3rd. But he waived the runner around – who went on to score. And then he turned his attention to the batter who had just hit the double and was coming to second. While the play was happening Leyva dropped to one knee, cupped his hands around his mouth as if to be shouting something to the runner. Now there is no way the runner on second was going to hear him. If he wanted the runner to stop & stay at second he could just hold up his hand –the stop sign.

I just thought it was odd.

639. Tom P. says:

I agree, but one recent similarity between this year’s team and last year’s is an inability to score late in games. Yes, they scored 5 late against Florida, but since then the bats have been quiet. It would be nice to see more runs like Tabata’s homer in the 8th on Friday.

640. Playoffs by 2012 says:

You left out Scarface.

641. Ghost says:

Can’t wait!
    In the meanwhile, I’m gonna start hawking THE FINAL SMACKDOWN! :-) t-shirts! (Including the smiley face!!)

642. Ghost says:

The leads they have been asked to hold have been too paltry. A.J. and Locke have been conspicuously bad in their last few starts, but overall the pitching has been yeoman-like, as it was again today for all those innings. Four runs over 16 innings works out to be an ERA of 2.25. Can’t ask for any more.

643. Ghost says:

Didn’t see the game and have know idea if Leyva’s shouting through cupped hands could be picked up by the runner at second or not. But Thunder, regarding Leyva in general, and pretty much all of your posts recently, you have been making too much sense. Is it me? Is it you? Has someone been slipping us Prozac?

644. Ghost says:

Their hearts are still in it, so hopefully, where there’s a will there’s a way.

Just read Dejan’s excellent Monday column. It was, well, excellent. And it confirmed my suspicions. $$$.

Right there with you, Milo . . . and DK. Right there.

647. Ghost says:

Thanks for the tip.
    Tend to disagree with DK and others about the bunts Hurdle calls for (in close games with an inept offense, bunting runners into scoring position is what I would do to.) But the spotlight is cast upon “the” issue the Pirates have and what must be done. Other important points tying into this are succinctly covered too. Hope Bob Nutting catches this column, nodding as he reads it. Maybe Neal needs an assuring word from above.

If they don’t go get a bat. Even just to do something. And it’s just because of the money. After that placed has been sold out these last few weeks and people like the people on this bog have followed them religiously through this 20 year trail of tears. If NH negligently handles the team like that ?

Then I might just be done with my life long love affair with the PBC.

Oh, excellent column. (Both Sun and Mon which seem like companion pieces).

649. Baywatch says:

+1 :-)

Isnt it just incredible that it always about $$$$ with this team?

Ballpark packed night after hight, and yet there doesnt seem to be any $$$$$? Just amazing.

And, as usual, 115 Federal Street is silent.

651. Daquido_Bazzini says:

When I look at that short clip of Neal Huntington, I just don’t see a GM.
    Sorry….I just don’t.

652. Daquido_Bazzini says:

It’s hard to remove the dollar bill from a rusty wallet….

653. Baywatch says:

I’m not finding DK’s Monday column that you refer to. Can someone link me/point me in the right direction?

654. Baywatch says:

OK, just found it.

655. Ghost says:

“Then I might just be done with my life long love affair with the PBC.”
    Heh, heh. I tried that too, but couldn’t stay away. They’re in our blood, John.

Even with WD-40!!!!

And I will hawk you as fish food !

I agree with Milo.
    Let the spinmeisters spin this any way they can, and trust me, they will!

Bottom line, while neal was fiddling, the Pirates continued to lose.

Every excuse in the book has been used NOT to upgrade.
    Its time to use every ecuse to upgrade.

HI FRANKIE!
    HI neal !!!

GET IT DONE, BUFFOONS !!!!!

End rant. :)

Hi, fish food!

Cha chick!

BOOM !

660. Ghost says:

My poor biscuits. :(

661. Ghost says:

I kinda liked what he had to say about Locke. Perhaps as much hoping as facting, but now is the time for a vote of confidence from above for Locke.

662. Ghost says:

This is where I put on a disguise and lure you out of your pond, just to vanish into the bushes and double back to your pond to dynamite your fish.

It almsot worked!

But you forgot about all the booby traps I had set up.

BOOM !!!

664. Ghost says:

“Booby” traps? That’s what I used on you. :)

665. Mrevo says:

agreed

666. Mrevo says:

The last time the Pirates went to the west coast, they won 5 in a row in the midst of a 9 game win streak. As desparate as I’m getting, I’m clinging to the hope that this will be their lucky charm. We’re not exactly facing good teams.