Final: Pirates 7, Brewers 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (76-55) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (58-73)

Starters: RHP Charlie Morton vs. LHP Tom Gorzelanny

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Josh Harrison, 2B
  2. Jordy Mercer, SS
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Marlon Byrd, RF
  5. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  6. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Jose Tabata, LF
  9. Morton, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel and Karen Price are on the scene.

Comments

1. Tabata batting 8th!

I love Martin out of the #5 hole and batting 7th.

Dejan, who did they send down?

2. T.S. says:

I love how Hurdle is stuck on his lefty/righty match ups. Play the hot hand dude. Like Lambo instead of Tabata. And Walker instead of Harrison.

3. Nate83 says:

I’m glad to see Byrd is batting clean up. I was hoping that is were he would end up but I feared it would be the 5th spot instead. I really like Martin hitting 7th. Replace that first name with Marte and insert Walker in there instead of Tabata and switch him with Mercer and that is a decent line up.

If Walker continues hitting like he has of late the addition of Byrd could be just what the doctor ordered.

4. Nate83 says:

I’m not sure Lambo is currently on the team. I haven’t heard who they sent down but he was an option.

5. Lambo has 4 hits in 18 ABs for a .222 average, all against righthanders.

If that means he is hot, geez, I’d hate to see him when he is cold.

Tabata hits leftys well.

6. Dom says:

Remember all those guys who were criticizing the idea of dealing for Marlon Byrd? Now he’s our cleanup hitter.

7. Playoffs by 2012 says:

WEDNESDAY PICK ‘EM!!!

******PLEASE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW******
    PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier when I don’t have to hunt to find everyone’s “wagers”

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!

Today’s Pick ‘Em Line
    Total HITS by Marlon Byrd in tonight’s game
    0 (EVEN ODDS)
    1 (EVEN ODDS)
    2 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    3 or More (TRIP-TRIP-TRIPLE ODDS)

GOOD LUCK!!!

STILL 76 Down, only 6 more to go!!

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

I was thinking Pedro would see more fastballs with Byrd behind him.

Sanchez down. Will be back Sunday. No word on the other move yet.

9. T.S. says:

T. Sanchez was sent down. Don’t know about anyone else. And when I say the hot hand, I mean the most recent game(s). Yesterday; day before. We know what we have with Tabata (ain’t much). Gotta let Lambo play more. At least until Marte returns. IMHO.

10. BDHumbert says:

modest 25 on 2 hits…

I forgot Gorzy is starting.

12. With Tabata and Harrison in the starting line-up, can be only Lambo or Pie.

I’m guessing it’s the red-hot, according to BS, Lambo.

13. Nate83 says:

He was a late name who surfaced before the trade deadline. I found the name very intrigueing and liked him a lot more then Rios for a couple of reasons. Rios would have been a commitment into next year and I didn’t trust him as far as being consistant especially at his cost. I felt he was high risk and high cost. Byrd’s numbers are not that much greater but he comes at a much lower risk in my opinion. I also think it would have cost more then Dilson to get it done for Rios at the deadline.

Yeah, Dom, who were those guys? ;-)

15. Tabata had 4 hits just a few games ago.

Lambo has a poor track record against lefties in the Minors.

I agree with you about hot hands, TS, but tonight is not the night (if Lambo is still on roster——it’s gotta be either him or Pie gone) to give Andrew Lambo his first Major League ABs against a lefty.

Correct. Part of being hot is getting to face the type of pitchers (righy or lefty) you are best against. Most hitters do not hit lefties and righties equally.

17. Nate83 says:

Well Tabata has been one of our better hitters since the all-star break. He isn’t exactly pulling this line up down from an offensive standpoint.

+ many.

Right now, I would accept “lukewarm”, the way this offense struggles.

19. Dom says:

100 ON #2!!!

THANKS!!!

20. Dom says:

It’s on the tip of my tongue.

And also because Pie would have to be DFA’d.

Dom:

I was totally against Rios, but I have no problem with Byrd. He’s having a very good year. At his low salary, I actually wish we could lock him up for next year while we wait for Polanco to get ready.

I will take the heat for saying we didn’t want Soriano because he is a butcher in the field. Well, we should be so lucky as to have had that butcher hitting for us like he has for the Yanks for the last few weeks. No way did I expect him to hit like this, and those who said we should trade for him were on the money on that one. I don’t know that he would have come to Pittsburgh, anyway, but I was wrong about his production.

I was a Schierholtz supporter because I felt we needed a LH bat for RF most of all. I still do think we need that. Byrd is a perfect replacement for Marte, though, while he’s out, and should also be a good replacement for Tabby when Marte returns.

23. Nate83 says:

The offense could be better and actually statistically has been since the all-star break. Hopefully Byrd and Walker continueing his good hitting of late will just bolster that even more.

My bigger concern is the regression by the pitching staff. More the starters then the bullpen. Too many starts with less then 6 innings pitched with some even being 3 or 4 innings. Starter’s team ERA has increased by over 1 run compared to before the all-star break. Locke gets a lot of attention but AJ, Liriano and Cole have regressed as well to a lesser extent.

:-)

I honestly don’t even remember if I was one of them. I know I wasn’t real hot on him at the deadline, but I don’t know if I ever said it here.

25. Robbie Grossman——3 more hits last night in Majors for Astros. Now batting .278 with 13 doubles after slow start in American League.

Gregory Polanco——average now at .270 in AA after 1/4. Hit 6th homerun.

Josh Bell——average now at .280 in Low A. Driving in runs and 52 walks.

I haven’t been here all day, and have not had time to read back through everything. So, I apologize if this has been discussed to death already.

This is not really a knock on Tabby because I think he is an average OF and has a decent arm. But, the true value of Marte was on full display last night in the 3-run inning for the Brewers that gave them a 5-0 lead. Tabby made 2 solid throws to the plate and barely missed nabbing both runners. With Marte’s cannon, I think he gets one or both of those guys. He also catches ARam’s ball that tipped of Tabby’s glove and got behind him. It is not often that you can say switching left fielders was the difference in the game, but I really believe that was the case just as it was a few weeks ago when Holliday floundered around in LF at PNC while Marte put on the clinic.

We all know Marte screwed up the flyball in the 9th at Busch, and eventually that became the tying run. That one was definitely on him. But, balls drop in all the time in front of, beside, and over ordinary LF. And guys score runs on throws from other LF that Marte makes look easy on a regular basis. I am very thankful we now have Byrd, but we will continue to miss Marte’s defense. I hope he gets back soon.

Report out that Wandy’s exam went so well that a rehab assignment could start soon.

28. Bill Born says:

100 on 2 hit line.
    Please
    Thank you.

29. Nate83 says:

I had the same exact feelings on all 4 of those players you mentioned. I was wrong about Soriano as well. I’m not sure we would be getting the same production from him. He is a very unique guy. Who knows what makes him tick.

Grilli returning, and the expansion of September rosters will help the pitching a lot.

Locke needs to be pulled now. :)

31. Nate83 says:

That is the best news since the Pirates trading for Byrd. Now if they could just win a few games.

Word is, Wandy’s visit with Dr. Andrews went so well that Wandy could be starting a rehab assignment soon. How good would that be, considering Locke is such a ?? now?

33. Dom says:

Hooray!

34. Dom says:

In my opinion, that is the best news since the moon landing.

Wandy could be just what the Dr. (Andrews, in this case) ordered.

Maybe Wandy’s wife baked some cookies for him to take on that visit. No one ever seems to get out of there with all of their limbs intact.

36. Dom says:

What would ya’ll do about Locke?

I think it is time to for him to take a seat on the bench. I’d replace him with Gomez.

I know the Buccos love Gomez in his current role but that’s what I would do.

In regards to locke, I don’t want this to turn into Jmac part two. He has had his chances of late and they have not worked out.

37. Nate83 says:

I agree. I hate to say it but I almost hope he has a slight injury or has just worn down over the year. He really took a step forward this year. I hope what we saw the first half of the year was not a mirage but a glimpse of what he can be. I don’t think he is a pitcher who can have an ERA in the low 2.00 but a solid number 3 or 4 starter would be nice.

They just need to be careful with him.

This is indeed good news.
    But do the Pirates put him on the playoff roster without knowing 100% if he is going to make it back?

Hope he gets well soon.

39. JRay3 says:

No surgery for Wandy is best news of day, if he can rejoin rotation in a few weeks that will be a large answer to the rotation ills with Locke and limiting Cole.

I agree that Locke might need to step back and allow Gomez to start until Wandy is ready, at least. But, that requires someone else being Gomez’s back-up option. I think we’ll only get 5 or 6 from him most nights.

41. Nate83 says:

My response was for plans comment and not Jim’s. Obviously I do not hope that Wandy has an injury.

42. AJS says:

Left pitcher=no walker. He looks hot but how much of that was against a lefty? None.

+ 1 for the both of you. :)

Good question. They don’t have long to figure it out, do they? Or, do you get an exemption from the normal deadline if a guy has been on the DL? Someone here knows that. I assume there are no special rules for DL’d guys.

A combination of Cumpton and Gomez would work too.
    Many options to replace Locke.

46. Brandie says:

Please may I have 50 on one.

47. Nate83 says:

Jim they have came out and said that Gomez has a 70 pitch limit. I think it is more likely that they start Cumpton for a few and have Gomez available for to replace Cumpton or Cole because of a bad outing or limited pitch counts. That way they keep Gomez in a role he has already excelled. Really unfair to him because he has earned being a starter if one is needed.

48. JRay3 says:

Locke as of right now is the scheduled starter for Sunday versus Cardinals. I would like to see Kris Johnson get a start or two, he sure looked sharp in his six inning relief stint against the DBacks and has had a sub 3 ERA down at Indy all year with impressive numbers.

Farther down the organization, Meadows is hitting around .300 with good power. And the catcher, Reese McGuire, threw out a guy stealing and picked one off 2nd otday. Apparently, the reports that he had ridiculously good catching skills were not an exaggeration. Seems very advanced. He’s also hitting over .320.

50. AJS says:

I was against Byrd at the time given all the options at hand. I still worry about his durability at age 36. All i can picture is Derrek Lee and his great first game and then a hand injury put him out for 20 games or so. can’t afford that here with Byrd.

All that said, and considering it is the waiver trade deadline and not the open trade deadline and Byrd isn’t a bad transaction. hard to believe he slots into 4th in this putrid lineup.

51. SkinnyBarryBonds says:

Locke probably has to sit, but do we do it next start? Cardinals have trouble with lefties so if he is going to get out of his funk that may be a good chance.

Wandy would look great on this team right now, but I just don’t see how he gets built up and has time to show he is ready for no. 3 spot in postseason. If Bucs win division, they only need 3 starters and that Franky, AJ and Charlie. If they play one-game play-in you burn one of those (most likely Liriano depending how much you have to burn to get into the game in the first place) and now you need Cole. No place for Locke at that point anyway.

Actually, I just read there is an exception for DL guys. So, Wandy does not apparently have to be on the roster 9/1.

53. Dom says:

Since it is nearly September 1st, I’d expect Cumpton and Pimentel would get promoted. Maybe the latter is also an option but I doubt it since he has no experience starting in the majors.

Or, Kris Johnson is another option.

But, Gomez has always had a 70 pitch limit, right Nate. Even early in the year, when he started for a month or so, he was not getting much past that number. He was just so efficient that he was able to knock down 6 innings (even 7 once, I think) with low pitch counts.

Good point, Dom. They have options.

56. Brandie says:

Good Evening Jimster, Dom, 21, Nate 83, JRay Tre, BD, Bill Born, Arriba, Disco Hippo, and everyone else!

I’ll only go as far back as the Berlin Wall being torn down, Dom. (Imagine a smiley face here). I need to stock up on those when I get my avatar. (Imagine another smiley face here.).

58. Karen22 says:

50 on 2, please!

New Campaign:

Anyone But Locke. ;)

Disco Hippo. Cute.

See you later when the game begins.

61. Brandie says:

Disco Hippo. Look it up!

62. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Hey! Hey!

+ many.

64. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Lambo, not against LHP. Tabata, yes

I have to believe he is just a placeholder for now. No reason to let the Cards know now who will be starting that game. I think Hurdle is frustrated with Locke’s lack of command.

66. Brandie says:

Great news on Wandy. The pitching staff sure could use him, but only if he’s healthy.

67. Brandie says:

Good to see ya, Playoffs!

68. JRay3 says:

Afternoon back at you. Will be a good evening if the Bucs can even this series tonight.

69. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Pie brings more than Lambo at this point. Send Lambo down, keep Pie. He can pinch hit/run fill in at any OF position.

Better overall at this point.

I’d go with a minor leaguer on Sunday. I just think Locke has lost his confidence (along with his control). Good point about needing a lefty. How about Johnson?

Also, Gomez pitched in mop-up in Game 5 of the Cards series, as I recall, and he got hammered. Of course, that was after pitching well in Game 4 and he supposedly does not snap back well the 2nd straight night. So, I’m not sure what that says about Gomez for Sunday. But, I’d put him in there before Locke. I think the word is out now to wait him out.

71. Lad9 says:

WIll go for 2 hits for 100 bags of Byrd seed. Thanks Playoffs. Go Buccos!!

72. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I don’t remember anybody criticizing Byrd as an acquisition. Other than those that criticize every move and would only be happy with Giancarlo Stanton or Miguel Cabrera.

Hey, Brandie! Top of the evening to you!

74. Lad9 says:

Good evening Brandie! Lets go BYRRRRRDDDDDMMMMAAAANNNNN!

75. Brandie says:

He should come out to every at bat with that. HILARIOUS!

76. Kevin says:

100 IPU on 3 please, Mr Playoffs, sir!

77. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

100 on 2.

78. SkinnyBarryBonds says:

I would pitch Johnson, but that is because I am DONE with Locke. I cannot take all the walks – bad for the heart. Not sure Clint feels the same way though. If you give up on Locke now, maybe better off “DLing” him and giving him two starts off to rest and then using him out of teh bullpen to see if he can be a useful part if you make teh playoffs.

79. Brandie says:

JRay Tre. One of my favorite Buccos when I was a kid.

80. Brandie says:

Big Jim! Smiles all around!

21, I think I read Pedro actually does much better vs. the soft stuff. Of course, to your point, if he knows a fastball is coming he should be able to do some damage.

82. Dom says:

Howdy.

83. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I remove Locke from the rotation, but i’m not sure Gomez is the answer. He did well when starting before he got hurt. He’s doing well in his current role in the BP.

I do think he’s a better answer right now than Jeff Locke though. Locke is worn out.

Great handle, BTW (SkinnyBarryBonds).

85. tdb1977 says:

100 units on the 1 hit line. Thanks!

86. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Straight outta Cumpton deserves another shot.

Hopefully, someone will whip up a Bird’s Nest or Bird Cage sign for him at PNC tonight.

88. Brandie says:

Disco Dom! What’s up?

89. Stickyweb says:

Nate,
    I think Byrd only bats clean up vs. LH starters. Vs. righties, it’ll be Cutch, Pedro, Byrd 3 – 5.

90. TK says:

100 on 2 hits

91. Brandie says:

That’s why we have the Birdman call from the Hanna Barbers cartoon. Trying to send vibes in that direction.

92. Brandie says:

Taking me back to high school!

93. Brandie says:

As long as you come with the smaller head. Welcome to the blog.

94. Stickyweb says:

100 on 3 hits please. How cool would it be for the third one to be a trip-trip-triple? Cool as long as we don’t have to hear Brown call it. Thanks.

95. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

@21

For some reason I responded to you on the other thread regarding Jeff Locke’s velocity numbers that you posted. (good find btw)

JL averaging 90.2 on his fastball may sound high for us, but compared to other starting pitchers that his still low. Doesn’t mean I’m knocking JL, many pitchers have had successful careers without throwing it by guys.

So out of curiousity, I searched for him in comparison to other starting pitchers.

Out of 87 eligible starting pitchers, Jeff Locke ranks 65th in velocity. Surprisingly, just ahead of Tim Linecum. That dude used to throw 95 consistently.

I’ll be honest, it wasn’t an expansive research model that I used, but I found it interesting just the same.

96. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I was expecting to see Byrd in the 5th hole behind Pedro. I would think putting Byrd 5th that would give more pitches for Pedro to hit, i.e. the pitcher would go after him more, especially with a lower BA and the huge strike out totals.

Of course, this could only be because of the lefty on the mound tonight.

This is more what I was thinking. Of course, Taby when Marte comes back makes this lineup up look a whole lot better.

Tabata
    Walker
    Cutch
    Pedro
    Byrd
    Gaby (Morneau?)
    Martin
    Mercer
    Pitcher

Add Morneau and holy crap does this lineup look better. But that’s an easy plug and play idea with anybody.

97. Playoffs by 2012 says:

“Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing.”
    - Warren Spahn

98. War Horse says:

Jim, I think you’ll like this story:
    Years ago, a friend who worked as a civilian analyst at the Pentagon was visiting my home in Europe. He was a brilliant theoretician and military historian. When I told him I was having breakfast with the U.S. Army commander of NATO in a few days, he suggested that I ask him, “Have you made plans for what to do if the Berlin Wall comes down?” The general, a four star, looked at me when I asked him the question as if I were either deranged or stupid. It was 1987, well before the revolutions in Eastern Europe and the breakup of the Soviet Union. “No” was the general’s answer. The wall came down in 1989. NATO didn’t need a plan. It did nothing. The East Germans did it themselves. I was fortunate to be there when it happened. You can’t imagine the joy of the Germans on both sides of the wall. Or, perhaps, you can.

99. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

totally agree. I dont care how fast he throws, as long as he can change speeds. Course for him, it might help if he adds some strikes to it as well, but pitchers like him need to nip at the zone, not attack it.

May I have 50 HippoByrds on 2 hits , please.

This is the best news since Miley Cyrus…………. oh waitaminit………

102. Bob Hasis says:

Nov. 9th, 1989

103. Bob Hasis says:

July 20th, 1969

104. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

So, doing a little more research. (I’m using fangraphs for the first time, bear with me!!) it show JL 81 out of 119 STARTING pitchers that have thrown a minimum of 100 innings in terms of velocity.

Seriously though, this is all down out of my curisosity, and not wanting to do any actual work.

Its a slow process, but I’m figuring out this internet thing.

105. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

bwahahahahahahaaaa

106. MadTurk says:

Plus a gazillion

107. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

They have a month to figure it out……plenty of time IMHO

108. Stuart says:

Playoffs, I’ll take 100 on #2 .
    Go Bucs

Stuart

109. John Lease says:

Nah, the Pirates won 2 world series since then.

110. John Lease says:

I like it!

a good day for an NWA reference……..

112. Brandie says:

Hippo Byrd’s is Wal-Mart’s version of Angry Birds!

113. John Lease says:

I’m so pleased that Walker is sitting and Harrison is starting I don’t know what to do with myself. Looks like Clint wants to win a game.

114. Brandie says:

Good Old’ Nerds With Acne!

Ryan,

I am not much of a stats guy, but i did see the following last night, and in some previous starts:

Locke will start the game 93 MPH or so, then will be down to 88-89 by the 4th/5th inning.

It just seems something is wrong for him to go down so fast so quick. He isnt reaching the 7th/8th, which would justify a drop like he is having.

Just my one cent.

116. Brandie says:

I can see your smile and hear your school girl giggle in Philipsburg PA.

+ many, Muppet.

118. MadTurk says:

No one taking issue with Harrison starting at 2nd base? Could be an adventure tonight.

119. Eric Bowser says:

nope, Walker can’t hit RH.

120. Eric Bowser says:

Ken Rosenthal tweeted Vic Black is rumored to be PTBNL

121. Bill Born says:

A good evening to you.
    Lets get a win tonight!

122. Brandie says:

Husband really liked NWA.

123. JRay3 says:

Wow if true, a very nice haul for the Mets just for dumping two players for last month of season.

For Pirates, giving up Black at least is giving away individual from position of strength as there is no shortage of arms in the system and bullpen arms have been easiest for this team to spot and field.

Someone I knew, who had “connections”, got a copy of that cassette, yes, cassette, a week before it was officially released.

Good Times…..

Jeff Locke optioned to Altoona.

126. Jason81 says:

50 on 2 hits, please!

127. Eric Bowser says:

Locke and Sanchez sent to AA

wow… does that mean Locke isn’t eligible for playoffs?

128. JRay3 says:

Jeff Locke just optioned to AA Altoona, wow.

129. JRay3 says:

Can Wandy gear his arm up to be ready to throw Sunday? I jest, wishful thinking.

Free Kris Johnson.

Yep. Both can be recalled Tuesday. Sanchez will be.

131. JRay3 says:

Reading they will recall Locke on Sept. 3rd.

WOW !

This is actually a good sign. Neal/Clint made a bold move here.
    Good for them.

134. Brandie says:

Good move. Time for Locke to lick his wounds.

100 Byrd units on 2 please and thanks. Catch ya’ll later!

136. MadTurk says:

So we give up hitting and fielding with this move. Just ducky in fact if it keeps raining we may have ducks out there.

137. Eric Bowser says:

Rosenthal tweets
    “Now confirmed: Black is indeed PTBN going to #Mets from #Pirates. Byrd, Buck and $250K to Pirates for Black and Herrera.”

138. JRay3 says:

Brandon Cumpton is starting tonight for Indy, if he does make the start he would not be an option to start on Sunday against St. Louis. In his previous start he went just 3.1 IP with 8 hits allowed and there was talk of arm fatigue.

Kris Johnson last started on Aug. 25th going 5 IP giving up 2 runs, 1 earned to improve his ERA to 2.39. If he were to get call he would go on six days rest.

And than there is Jeanmar Gomez and his 70-75 pitch limit as an option.

It is confirmed Black going to Mets to complete trade, Kelly Shoppach has been released.

139. Karen22 says:

Hi, Brandie! :)

140. Brandie says:

Get ready to greet Byrd and Buck!

141. Brandie says:

From your lips to Marlon Byrd’s ears!

142. cosmo says:

100 on 2 hits for Mr. Byrd

143. Brandie says:

So long Vic the Stick!

144. Karen22 says:

That IS a big WOW. Interesting…and a good, timely move.

145. Brandie says:

Imagine my husband as a teenager riding around Central PA in a rusted out 1988 S-10 with “Straight Outta Compton” blaring out of the tape deck because his mother bought it for him.

What was she thinking?

146. Karen22 says:

All of the moves in the past 24 hours sound peachy to me.

147. Karen22 says:

Your query has been answered…Locke to Altoona.

I take it you like peaches? ;)

149. Karen22 says:

I’ll take a flyer on the Birds and the Beasts!

150. Karen22 says:

LOVE ‘em! Just bought a ton of the Chambersburg variety!

151. Brandie says:

As long as The Pirates can drive those ducks on the pond in for runs, I don’t care.

152. MadTurk says:

:-) I like saying unkind thing about Harrison he usually plays better after I do. duck duck duck goose

Get those ducks off my pond!

154. irishjim says:

Just once for you lunatics because I have a busy night, but did you all see who was batting cleanup???????

155. Irish says:

25 on 2, please.
    Thanks, Playoffs.
    Fly, Byrd, Fly!

I like those too!

157. irishjim says:

A-well-a, everybody’s heard about the Byrd
    Byrd, Byrd, Byrd, b-Byrd’s the word
    A-well-a, Byrd, Byrd, Byrd, the Byrd is the word
    A-well-a, Byrd, Byrd, Byrd, well, the Byrd is the word
    A-well-a, Byrd, Byrd, Byrd, b-Byrd’s the word
    A-well-a ,Byrd, Byrd, Byrd, well, the Byrd is the word
    A-well-a, Byrd, Byrd, b-Byrd’s the word
    A-well-a, Byrd, Byrd, Byrd, b-Byrd’s the word
    A-well-a, Byrd, Byrd, Byrd, well, the Byrd is the word
    A-well-a, Byrd, Byrd, b-Byrd’s the word
    A-well-a, don’t you know about the Byrd
    Well, everybody knows that the Byrd is the word
    A-well-a, Byrd, Byrd, b-Byrd’s the word

158. MadTurk says:

Yep someone hitting above 200 for us. YIPPEE

159. Dave G says:

Wonder what the walk-up at the gate will be for the new guys…

Tom Gorzelanny’s last 2 starts:

8.1 IP 16 H 12 ER 12.96 ERA

161. Brandie says:

Flying Whipper Snappers!

Where is your mum, the Nun???

163. JRay3 says:

Wow, Greg Brown stated that Marte took some cuts in BP today, so much for not swinging a bat for two weeks.

What a lift it would be for this team to get healthy in a hurry with Grilli, Wandy, Marte.

164. KenKopp says:

Here we go. Tonight’s the night the bats work and the pitching just keeps doing its thing.

Let’s go Bucs!

Well, they didn’t let Ramirez beat em there. Good start to finish shaky inning.

166. Brandie says:

BYYYYYRRRRRD MAAAAAANNNNN!

167. Patrick(ri) says:

Hope this ump will start watching those amazing curves more closely — two of CM’s curves in the Lucroy ab were strikes, called balls.

Wearing the home whites as God intended.

169. Brandie says:

Putting out an APB for Fun on A Nun!

170. JRay3 says:

Just what JHay needs to do in the lead off position, get on base, nice single to start.

Describe.

Absent a double play, the Savior will bat this inning!

Let’s punch this bum out of the game. (No offense, Gorzo).

174. Brandie says:

She’s a five foot nothing salty tongued nun.

Last whereabouts?

Take a second to note where you are when Marlon Byrd makes his first plate appearance as a Pittsburgh Pirate.

177. Eric Bowser says:

Cutch ropes single to LF to knock in Harrison… very nice.

CUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is on fire in August!

1-0 good guys.

And, here comes the Big Byrd.

179. JRay3 says:

CUTCH! Quite the start…hit, walk, hit….Gorzelanny at his best.

180. JRay3 says:

At the office.

181. Eric Bowser says:

Byrd drilled that…. bad luck on that one.

Man, the Pirates need to buy a truckload of rabbit’s feet, or something………….

183. Brandie says:

In a Shelby Mustang. She wears size 9 wife’s, likes 5 Finger Death Punch (either a musical group or a drink made with SoCo and served in a Red Solo Cup) and doesn’t take crap from anyone!

184. tdb1977 says:

Almost did punch him out with that line drive by Byrd. Was that ball blistered

Accomplices?

186. tdb1977 says:

+1 I wish they would wear these more often than the black ones.

FIRE …………. oh, nevermind……..

188. Eric Bowser says:

I see what you did there! lol

189. JD says:

Nice story about Gaby giving Buck #14.

190. Eric Bowser says:

Not a fan of Lady Luck…

191. Eric Bowser says:

agreed, he’s a good man.

192. JRay3 says:

Seven pitches and a quick 1-2-3 for Morton in the 2nd.

193. Dave G says:

So far, good Charlie tonight.

You are quick on the draw tonight……… ;)

196. Brandie says:

BOOK EM PLANO, ONE MUPPET, LAD 9, RARIN KAREN, REVVIE BABY, DEJAN KOVACEVIC

197. Brandie says:

DREW-K OF EARL, GROATMEAL

Ok, I will look for a Nun.

With those accomplices, obviously they are armed and dangerous.

I will need a paddy wagon.
    And lots of guns……….

199. Brandie says:

How about Buck Luck?

I guess the rabbits were female………….

201. Brandie says:

Especially for Dejan Kovacevic. May have to cuff and stuff him!

202. Brandie says:

When is it ever lucky for the rabbit to lose its feet?

203. JRay3 says:

First time Pirates have gotten Aoki out this series, he had been 3-3 with 3 walks until that ground out.

Maybe Walker was suspended 1/2 game for his trade comment.

205. KenKopp says:

Uh, Cutch is a pretty good player.

206. JRay3 says:

A pure joy to watch play the game.

207. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

That would lead me to believe that its more conditioning, rather than injury.

Who knows, you could be right about an injury, but typically its the overall, from start to finish, that has a lower velocity count consistently.

208. JRay3 says:

Charlie Morton in his last 31.2 innings, covering his last five starts including tonight, has allowed just 29 hits and 7 runs for a 1.98 ERA.

A very nice turn around as he has been giving the team very consistent starts the past four weeks.

209. JRay3 says:

Cutch now 37-84, hitting .440 in month of August, making his case for MVP.

210. JRay3 says:

Also has 15 multi-hit games this month.

211. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Tony Sanchez and JEFF LOCKE optioned.

212. JRay3 says:

What an impressive AB by Byrd, makes Gorzelanny throw 14 pitches before going down on strikes, if nothing else that will speed up getting into Brewers pen.

That would be 12.96 in his last 2 starts.

This stiff should be knocked out before any pitch count issue.

215. JRay3 says:

Prior to those two starts he had thrown 71 innings and had a 2.51 ERA. Two rough outings took him up to his current 3.60 ERA.

216. Scooter “Store” made a nice play on Pedro. But Gaby comes through on the other side of him for 2-0 lead for the good guys!!

217. JRay3 says:

Gaby Sanchez does it again against a LHP, big two out RBI and it is 2-0 good guys.

Scooter Gennett was the kid that played the entire left side of the infield in little league when you only had 8 guys.

Way to go Gaby. Even Scooter couldn’t get to that one !

It’s hard to get 12.96.

220. To Altoona no less, but that is good since they will come back in September anyway.

woah!

222. Good news, Cincy up 4-0 in top of 1 with man still on third!!!

223. JRay3 says:

Reds taking some frustration out on Cardinals tonight and roughing up Adam Wainwright. 4-0 Reds still batting top of 1.

Good ol’ Charlie did it !

+many

226. JRay3 says:

12 runs over two brief starts will do it to you.

227. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

My guess is a paper move.

228. JRay3 says:

Make it 5-0 Reds!

dittos

Yes, She did ;)

231. JRay3 says:

Hustle triple by Tabata, who made a great read on Aoki playing the ball casually off the Clemente wall and Bucs are in business to start the 5th.

Almost a HR by Tabata.

Nice triple as a consolation prize.

233. Brandie says:

You were on Eric’s couch?

I’m just playing. I have a long standing Gorzo thing. :)

235. JRay3 says:

Make it 6-0 Reds as Wainwright needed 35 pitches to finally get out of first as Reds bat around on him!

236. Brandie says:

Nun has been spotted. Cancel APB.

237. Lad9 says:

I think since Altoona will not be in the playoffs, both players will be eligible to return when the Curve ends their season and not have to wait the requisite 10 days.

that’s the second line drive Gorzelanny robbed us of.

And JHay sparks a run again :)

:wavin: I made it :)

241. JRay3 says:

Since August 15th, Tabata is now 15-45 hitting .333 covering last dozen games.

JHay looking nice in the lead off spot as his second hit makes it 3-0 Buccos!

Did you read the APB we put for you above^^^^^^

Thank God I can call off the dogs now………………

You show up, and we start to score. Keep up the good work…..

And he hustles in on a Mercer hit :)

244. Dave G says:

Never thought of Gorzo as a Gold Glove pitcher… til tonight.

245. KenKopp says:

Hee! Hee! Jordy, yes

I’ve been watching, just busy cleanin up after dinner and folding laundry….hey I gotta do it sometime lol

247. Lad9 says:

Good evening Crüe. Liking this so far!!

248. JRay3 says:

Oh I know, I just always enjoy bantering with you!

Brandie and I had an APB out for ya.

Welcome to the funhouse……..

LOL always the gutter mind…you trying to keep up with me? ;)

251. Lad9 says:

Shocking!

OMG! I’m dyin’ here! You guys are priceless!!

I hope Dejan appreciates his part in this ;)

253. KenKopp says:

Reds 6 Cards Bottom 1st

254. Playoffs by 2012 says:

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
    Horrible trade
    We are doomed
    ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hey, the Crue’s all here :)

Love it ya nuts…BTW I’m 5’5 1/2″ :)

257. MadTurk says:

We have a sighting of Byrd droppings.

Just getting ahead of that dirty birds that will fly in later.

FIRE PLAYOFFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

259. Parrothead01 says:

Looks like Byrd won’t have any trouble fitting in with the Pirates.

260. Lad9 says:

LMAO Just got caught up and saw the APB. Brandie/Hippo – perfect and hysterical. Thank you. :) :)

I am glad you 2 liked it.

Dont forget to tip your Hippo…….

262. JRay3 says:

Charlie Morton just dominant tonight, six solid innings thus far and only 72 pitches, four hits and two of them were bleeders down third base line.

263. Lad9 says:

Much more difficult than cow tipping I would think….

I’m extremely happy for Chuck

Ya’ll are nuts…Hipposter, you’ll find your top at the pond side ;)

+1.

But I do take cash…………. ;)

I am happy for his dog…………

268. JRay3 says:

9-0 Reds Bottom 2, Wainwright getting shelled through 2 innings of work.

hilarious

Say good night, Gorzo

Way to bring it tonight Charles Alfred Morton.

272. KenKopp says:

Cutch MVP! Faded at the end the last two years. Leading the team in August.

273. pattonbb says:

Did anyone see the video of Brandon Phillips cussing out the reporter? Dusty Baker is sitting there smiling like a Cheshire Cat as Phillips throws about a dozen “f bombs” at this guy. Could you imagine Hurdle just sitting there while one of his star players acts like an ignorant bully? I tried to post a link but it won’t let me. Anyone interested, just google “brandon phillips 101 sports”.

There are no appropriate words in the English language to describe just how much I dislike all things reds related (I refuse to even capitalize their “r” anymore).

That’s about what I’d expect from trash like phillips.

Reds are disgusting, they reflect Dusty

275. Kevin says:

WOOOooooOOooooooo!

Amen.

277. pattonbb says:

Yep, what a nice guy that Brandon Phllips is. Only thing missing was a claim of racism.

Dusty Baker is the biggest (insert favorite slang word for male reproductive organ here) in baseball. I can’t stand that guy. Worse than Phillips, if that is possible.

just disgusting…

PUD!

Give him some time………..

LOL!

How does he keep a job???

283. pattonbb says:

Have I told you lately how bad I hate the Reds and Dusty Baker? I have a list around here somewhere…….

Me too.

Nice play by JHay, again

Seriously!

287. JaxBuc says:

What a bum we traded for. I can’t believe we traded the next Roberto Alomar and the next Trevor Hoffman for this guy who strikes out as much as Garrett Jones. The FO couldn’t evaluate talent if it ….

Well I tried. ;-)

288. Patrick(ri) says:

What’s with Pedro in the field, tonight? On the ragged edge often.

289. JaxBuc says:

Oops, I forgot ….36-year-old PED user…

That was NOT cool, Martin >:/

291. Kevin says:

I know. Not gaby fault. But anyway, FREE MORNEAU!

292. Eric Bowser says:

No surprises there

293. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

A. It appears that your 1b didn’t know that was coming.
    B. You have 2 outs.
    C. The runner wasn’t that far off the bag, probably doesn’t get him anyways.
    4. Way to screw your pitcher.
    5. Love the aggressiveness, but control it.

Russell Martin you’re better than that. Clean it up.

Friggin p*ssies!

SPELL CHECK !!!!!!

One of the best things about Vin Mazzaro is that he’s not Bryan Morris.

None needed, self-explanatory ;)

298. Steelag70 says:

Who would have thought that Charlie would become the “stopper” in the rotation in late August????

299. Patrick(ri) says:

I really like Segura, but that bat act was bush league. Even the NFL won’t put up with that crap.

300. Patrick(ri) says:

301. Steelag70 says:

You couldnt spell cat if I spotted you the N and U ……… ;)

303. Patrick(ri) says:

Good to hear nice things said about J Hay.

Even though I’m Scandinavian to my pasty white core, I have a soft spot for all things Italian-cars, food, music, movies, language, Sophia Loren and ballplayers.

305. Steelag70 says:

Any pitcher with the name Burke Badenhop should automatically be required to give up at least three runs this inning….

306. KenKopp says:

There’s that rabbits foot.

We’ve had so many 1st half pitchers, Charlie being one of them a couple years ago. Because he had a late start, he’s having his 1st half now.

My ex is Italian…I don’t share your sentiments LOL

+MANY

For a minute there, I thought that was Barmes or Marte…

312. Patrick(ri) says:

If you were a neutral fan who dropped in tonight to see a ML game, you might want to ask for a rebate after these last two half- innings.

BYRD!!!!!!!

Oh irishjim …

THE BYRD FLEW THAT ONE OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

316. Lad9 says:

BYRDDDDDMMMMMAAAAANNNNNN!!!

317. Patrick(ri) says:

On the other hand . . .

woop woop!!

319. Byrd made up for the 2 Ks right there with a 3 run jack!!! 7-1 now!

320. pattonbb says:

Hello Marlon Byrd

321. Steelag70 says:

The Byrd is the WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neal Huntington

Executive of the Year.

323. Eric Bowser says:

unreal… first game for Marlon Byrd and 3-run HR

Neal Huntington is a friggin genius!!!!!

325. Steelag70 says:

Somebody was listening…lol.

326. Church is over. What did I miss?

:D

327. Eric Bowser says:

can’t say I disagree…… (WTF did I just say!?!)

Well, it IS hump day!!!!

329. Steelag70 says:

Does that make him a Yard Byrd???

330. KenKopp says:

The BIRDS NEST! I like it.

331. +MANY+MANY=INFINITY MANY

:thwap:

lol

333. Steelag70 says:

Does that HR qualify him as a Yard Byrd???

334. pattonbb says:

Rely on Charlie Morton.

335. JRay3 says:

Bye bye Byrdeeeeeeeeeeeer

Only if we can find Clapton………..

Revvie…join the party!

Darlin’ Marlon :)

Well, that statement certainly ruined the good feelings……………….

340. tdb1977 says:

And with one swing of the bat – Byrd has paid dividends already. This is going to be fun the next 5+ week, eh?

nah, it was funny!

Feels good to say, doesn’t it Eric!

where the heck did Brandimal get to?

344. MadTurk says:

Where is Karen? I told her if I dissed Harrison he would have a good game. Then I posted about Byrd droppings and then he homers. As much as I don’t like dissing players (unless in hindsight) I think I may have to use this strategy going forward.

345. Lad9 says:

Good night at PNC Lucky…. and in blog land. The cave entrances are apparently sealed this evening.

I can’t watch or listen to the game. Just following along here and on Brewers’ radio-what was Greg Brown’s home run call for Marlon ?

Gaby is good!

About freaking time this Byrd fella got a hit

No, no Lurch, please!

350. Steelag70 says:

WTF is going on??? Pedro with 4 hits last night…now Gaby with 3 tonight?? If this is a dream, do not wake me or them!

351. KenKopp says:

Hits are comin like nicknames. Hee! Hee! Been twenty years since I;ve had my heart in a pennant race. Unreal. I almost forgot what its like.

I’m so confused!

353. irishjim says:

I got home just in time to see it! Everybody knows that the Byrd is the word!

354. Eric Bowser says:

TC – Going to reserve judgement for a few more days…. lol

John – I think I probably made everyone feel that way, lol.

keep up the good work, Mad Turk lol

I thought he looked tired from the drive.

Pleased as punch that Pie has persevered.

358. Patrick(ri) says:

That error on Barmes was Hurdle’s fault — he should have had his tall 1B man in there.

359. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Best trade ever
    We are saved

Now we need a pitcher to come up & be Marty Bystrom this September.

361. Lad9 says:

And patrolling a prime piece of PNC Park at present

362. JD says:

mlb.tv is only $24.95 the rest of the season. Heck, OshKosh, I spent that much on beer in BW3 that night we met up.

363. Steelag70 says:

Or Mark Fydrich…

I’m at the game and the sign says 52 Bowser Blasts. I guess that cinches it – Frank definitely reads this blog.

365. Steelag70 says:

Just saw the replay of Byrd’s HR…a bomb to CF…..Greg Brown said “let’s go flyin’ with Mr. Byrd”….and Steve Blass said the CF grass will now be referred to as the Byrd’s nest….

366. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Patrick Roy

No, he flew in. And boy were his arms tired.

368. Brandie says:

BYYRRRRRRD MAAAAAAAAANNNNN!

ZING!

Ha! True that!

He was soffffffffffffffff. ;)

372. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Agree. The country is pretty nice too.

373. Eric Bowser says:

I’m rich, what can I say……

374. Steelag70 says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not Lurch!!

375. Eric Bowser says:

that was a nickname of mine given to me by a late friend of mine while playing baseball.

You know its late……………….
    the Ric Flair W oooooooooooos are out……………….

Nice, Lurch!

378. That’s the number of paragraphs per Bowser post.

379. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Definitely. And I agree with Eric’s sentiment.

Russell Martin, Francisco Liriano, possibly Marlon Byrd trade. Happy for the HR, but he needs to come through to complete the deal.

Well played NH, well played indeed.

+ a novel…………

381. Playoffs by 2012 says:

JRay, I know you have your recap written out and you are literally just waiting to click submit!

Raise it!!!!!

383. Brandie says:

That has been a running joke between Lad 9 and me.

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER,
    HIPPO,
    BYRD!!!!

Got a good feeling with our fine-feathered friend!!

Charlie did a good job again!

385. Lad9 says:

Raise it! That makes 77. Love beating the Brewers!

The Byrdman of Alvarez

387. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

+1000

388. Thank God for both.

I want to mention Nick Leyva. I think his efforts were overlooked tonight.

390. Brandie says:

Better than the Byrdman of Alcosan!

There she is :)

392. Eric Bowser says:

I thought I’ve been quite brief in my posts lately…. lol

393. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Byrd with a very good, professional interview.

He’s a veteran and it shows.

394. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

And Rob King just quoted me….

This Nun is off to bed…night Lunatics :)

396. KenKopp says:

The heck with .500. We are rooting for the division. With me Lunnies?

Or the Byrdman of Alcatraz!

398. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

He never does get his share of the credit.

399. JRay3 says:

Behind 6.2 solid innings from Charlie Morton and a three run blast from newcomer Marlon Byrd, the Bucs even the series against the Brewers with a 7-1 win and there was nooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Bucs improve to 77-55 and will move to within a half game of first place in the Central. The Pirates are now 12-14 in August, 10-5 versus the Brewers and 5-4 in their last nine.

The Pirates will go for the series win tomorrow night with G. Cole taking the mound for the Bucs.

Let’s Go Bucs!

400. Brandie says:

Bye, bye. Funster.

401. Brandie says:

All in, Double K!

402. Karen22 says:

I’m Italian.

403. Karen22 says:

HAHA! GOOD ONE!!

404. Karen22 says:

I was busy watching the game! Sorry I missed your dis…but keep ‘em coming!!

405. Karen22 says:

As thoroughly enjoyable as last night’s game was frustrating!

Sleep well and count byrds…

406. Michael DE pitt says:

407. lupesanchez says:

Also, Byrd catches the ball with two hands, did anyone notice?

;)

408. irishjim says:

Love it! And remember, a Byrd in the hand is worth a 3-run HR in the bush.

409. Baywatch says:

Great win, Gang! The wife texted me while I was out derivering the pizza pie. When I read Byrd had cranked a three-run homer, I almost stopped the car and got out in the road for a happy dance! I anticipated what LIKELY happened to our TV viewers:

“Honey, did Greg Brown do something real silly and preconceived for his Byrd home run call?” Well, yes he did, Dear! It even SAPPED the replay joy for me when I got home, hearing him call him “Barnum & Byrd!”

410. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says: