Chat with Dejan Kovacevic

Comments

1. Dave says:

DK, great column this morning. Just curious about your perspective regarding the Brandon Phillips situation with a reporter this week, and have you ever been a part of something like that?

2. War Horse says:

Dejan, Very good column this morning. My question is: Is there a time-tested remedy other than a few days off and complete rest for the end-of-season players’ fatigue? I saw a Brewers player in the dugout last night drinking from a can of Red Bull. With the days of pep pills long gone, could extra caffeine be the answer? Do the ball players continue to run and work out in the gym as heavily as they did in April?

3. LowcountryCPhT says:

How is it that Gateway doesn’t play Penn Hills or Woodland Hills in football anymore? Altoona, Connellsville, and Latrobe are nice places, but the Gators shouldn’t be playing them at the expense of not playing their rival neighbors. Thoughts?

4. Zack says:

Gotta put in the chat above guys

Actually, Kris Johnson is scheduled to start tonight.

If he gets scratched, he’s probably pitching here Sunday. Probably waiting to see if they acquire someone.

thanks for the heads up Milo

Dejan,

I caught some of your back & forth on twitter last night about the Steelers going up against the Pirates on TV. You said the Steelers would double the Pirates ratings. Worse than you thought, almost tripled. The Steelers did just over 21 & the Pirates just over 8.

DK: As I’ve been saying all along, this is never to be debated, never to be discussed in any serious vein. This is the pecking order:

1. Steelers
    2. More Steelers
    3. Penguins
    4. Pirates

“No, baseball players don’t lift or run nearly as much. The games themselves keep them in optimal shape. It’s more a matter of muscle maintenance and flexibility….”

I think this message is a little confusing Dejan. Baseball players obviously do have to maintain muscle during the season and they do this through maintenance as you mentioned. But playing games doesn’t keep you in optimal shape during the season. In fact, just playing games can cause a loss of muscle. During the Giants series for example, we saw Russell Martin doing deadlifts! And Locke was in the weight room with him.

Pitchers have to increase their running during the season to keep the oxygen flowing in the blood to the muscles to promote healing and recovery.

DK: ” … nearly as much …”

10. Baywatch says:

Good point on Locke & Cole being the only ones who haven’t missed a number of starts since their seasons started, DK.

Dusty Baker made a spectacular fool of himself there, didn’t he?
    —–
    Totally agree with you DK. That was the first thing I thought of…right after thinking that Brandon Phillips is a giant jerk.

PHillips should be banned from baseball period. Just for being a p*ssy!

I blame Clutch.

14. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Why would you blame him?

15. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Dejan – Thanks for answering a couple questions of mine in the chat.
    With more than all due respect….I’m not so sure I agree with you that the Steelers will have six or seven new starters.
    I suppose you can look at it that way, but Worilds, Allen and Adams (just to name three that I suppose you are including) must’ve started an average of about four games last year.
    Also, if Wheaton takes over for Cotchery….I can’t see how Cotchery would be considered a “starter”….

This team needed to add some outside blood in my opinion, and they didn’t do it.
    Bruce Gradkowski and Willie Gay was basically the limit.
    My hope was that they would get more room under the cap (there were other cut-able vets), and sign two to three more mid level FA’s.
    Consequently….They are hurting badly in the depth department at CB and OL in particular.

“The games themselves keep them in optimal shape”

17. Chuck H says:

As great a player as Andrew McCutchen is, he should have been running right off on his triple. It would have been an inside-the-park homer easily in yesterday’s 4-0 loss to
    the Brewers. It might have made a difference in the game. I’ve seen many hot-dog
    sluggers stand at home plate watching their hit until it either hits the wall or goes over it.