Final: Cardinals 5, Pirates 0

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (81-59) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (81-60)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. RHP Adam Wainwright

Time: 7:15 p.m.

Site: Busch Stadium, St. Louis

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Jose Tabata, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Justin Morneau, 1B
  5. Marlon Byrd, RF
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Locke, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

Comments

Dear Pirates:

I have cake that is going bad waiting for #82.
    Please remove your head from certain body part, and get this done.

Mr. Locke, please return to May-June form.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. :)

Pirates DFA James McDonald, also call Cumpton up from Indy

Baseball morning links in the afternoon

JAL’s Old September BluesMorning Links

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

11 Patheos

Curses, Scapegoats, and the End of the Pittsburgh Pirates’ 20 Years of Futility

12 Time-Life

Cathedral of Cheering: Pittsburgh Pirate Fans Rejoice, 1960

13 The Province

Pirates can’t enjoy a winning season with business left to finish

14 Cincinnati Enquirer

Votto snaps skid to put Reds over Dodgers 3-2

15 ESPN

Battle still very much on for NL MVP

16 CBS Sports

Pirates v Cardinals Game Preview

17 St Louis Post Dispatch

Cards win swinging affair

Miklasz: Home is sweet for Cardinals

18 PBC Site

Pirates fall as Cards gain ground in NL Central

Notebook: Wandy might be headed for Pirates’ bullpen

SPORTS WEBSITES

19 Baseball Prospectus

Locking it Up: Does Clinching Early Help?

20 Fangraphs

AFL Prospects: Braves, Giants, Mets, Pirates, Yankees

Old September Blues My Morning Jacket 1999

6. radio wave says:

Thanks JAL

7. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I’m still trying to figure out how that home plate umpire (I don’t even want to know his name) has a job today after saying Russell Martin DID NOT get hit last night.
    Martin was hit plain and clear to everyone….And the umpire (standing literally a foot or so behind), couldn’t get it right.
    A 15 year old dog could’ve done just as well…….

8. Daquido_Bazzini says:

So ends the illustrious Pirate career of one James McDonald.
    Pro-Nutters shook their heads in anger when he was acquired and I firmly stated….
    Beware of James McDonald!
    Now…You know why.

9. Lad9 says:

Ahhh J Mac. I had such high hopes for ya. Hope you can get your head around whatever is wrong with it and get your act together somewhere. Au revoir and good luck…

10. bizrow says:

Why did they DFA JMac? Wasn’t Cumpton already on the 40 man? Or are they picking up another player from somewhere?

11. bizrow says:

Not that I’m complaining about the move

You said that since the day he was acquired.
    You were proven correct.

He did have a great 1/2 of a season, though.

Quit insulting 15 year old dogs, please.

14. Daquido_Bazzini says:

True….And that was a 1/2 than I expected.

15. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I apologize to all 15 year old canines.
    They do deserve better….

With that kind of logic, who cares that they traded Jason Bay?

We’re back to pro-Nutters? Geez!

And, do you miss Dotel?

18. Playoffs by 2012 says:

SATURDAY OVER/UNDER!!!

******PLEASE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW******
    PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier when I don’t have to hunt to find everyone’s “wagers”

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!

Tonight’s Line
    Total INNINGS PITCHED by Jeff Locke in tonight’s game
    Line is 4.75

GOOD LUCK!!!

81 Down, only 1 more to go!!

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

KEEP CALM & BREAK .500

19. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I hope the Dodgers lose EVERY game they play.
    However…This weekend is a rare occasion when I wanted them to win.
    Consequently….They just dropped the second game in a row to the Reds.
    Unbelievable!
    Thanks alot Dodgers!….You’ve more than cemented my lifetime hate for you.

20. bizrow says:

100 on the over

I think he goes 6

Thanks Playoffs

Beat Em Bucs

Go and play like 60

AW, I am not getting the jest of this post.

Granted, I am under the weather a bit, but could you expand on this, please?

They thank you.

23. pattonbb says:

100 first half of the 2012 season JMac fastballs on the OVER, please.

24. Dadtackular says:

100 tired arms on the under

25. John Lease says:

Not a lot to choose from in hating the Dodgers or Reds. I despise them both.

But as for today’s game, GD it, can you quit putting Barmes in the lineup Clint?

PLEASE? His main value is as a defensive replacement. Not as a starter.

And I am already assuming the Cards are going to tee off on Locke anyways, and this game is lost before it’s played. Last nights game has me suicidal.

26. Lad 9 says:

Will go 100 on the under please and hope I am wrong. Thank you. Go Buccos! 82!

May I please have 100 “Get it Done” Hippos on the UNDER?

Thanks.

28. bizrow says:

You look at the pitching matchup, we’re in trouble.

That being said, the sticks and the Bucs will come through.

We have the magic, we have the hidden vigorish

Biz is all in

The Bucs are going all the way

Beat Em Bucs

29. Lad 9 says:

+60. With ya Biz. Go Buccos!

30. bizrow says:

I tried to find the Benny Benack, Bucs are going all the way, its on You Tube, but I couldn’t get in.

Its scorched in my brain though

The two move are not related. They did not have to do anything to bring Cumpton up.

33. Baywatch says:

Headin’ to work again. Let’s get the mojo going to bring this one HOME!

34. Cumpton finished the game for Wandy last night. He won’t be throwing anytime soon for the Pirates.

Love to , Plan, and I will later, but no time right now. But for what it’s worth, even though that ended up under your post, it was a response to Daq’s.

36. Reading says:

Confession: Pirates-Steelers telecasts conflict tomorrow. I’ll be watching the Steelers and monitoring the Pirates.

Just wanted to revive the ratings controversy.

DK: 3-to-1 isn’t much of a controversy, especially when the 3 is for the most meaningless of four preseason games and the 1 is for a game that had first place in the balance.

37. bizrow says:

That made an old man, relatively speaking, very happy ;-)

38. bizrow says:

39. Reading says:

Correction: ratings illusory “squabble.”

40. bizrow says:

We choose for ourselves ;-)

One on tv, the other on the radio

Then there is my strong thumb to click…

Ok, thanks.
    Maybe the meds will kick in by then.

Talk later.

42. bizrow says:

Thanks

Pretty much then, the club has had enough of JMac

A lost cause?

43. Reading says:

Steelers game will probably end before the Pirates game, so I’ll be able to watch the end. Will have Hillgrove and Tunch on the satellite radio synched up with the TV. Bucs through the MLB at bat app on my phone.

Another sad tale of huge talent, small mental toughness.
    He looked so promising, now, nothing.

Sad.

45. Daquido_Bazzini says:

If I missed Dotel…. Would that make it right?

Remote controls are our friend. :)

47. bizrow says:

The timing seems odd

A wake up call for JMac

48. Reading says:

Once the radio is matched up with the TV, an art, it is too much of a pain to re-synch. So, I refrain from changing channels once the radio is synched.

49. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Same here….Watching Steelers-Monitoring Pirates.

Hope he gets it together.
    What we saw the first 1/2 of last year was tantalizing.

51. Major Dad says:

My Directv Genie has picture-in-picture :)

52. Bill Born says:

Please
    100 on over Line.

53. kr70 says:

100 on the over and thanks

Why exactly did Pro-Nutters shake their heads in anger when he was acquired?

Are you saying people were angry that they traded Dotel and got McDonald in return?

My Dad used to play a lot with Benny Benack going back to Europe in WWII. He asked my Dad to help him out for a couple of days once in the band outside before Pirate games. I think they played inside a bit too. My Dad hated it!

I would really like to hear from Ray Searage in regards what are JMacs problems?

Why couldn’t even Ray fix him?

How about bringing me a pizza?!
    And #82

:-)

I want to post & dedicate “Don’t Look Back in Anger” by Oasis. For JMac…..and all those Pro Nutters that apparently shook heads in anger when he was acquired

I’ll watch the Pirate game and switch back to the Steeler game.

Hillgrove and Tunch are the only two announcers that would ever make me miss Tim Nevrett.

60. Reading says:

Disagree there. Hillgrove is a great announcer.

61. Because he’s not a shrink.

62. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Thunder – No sense in getting a pretty good band involved in this mess…lol

63. The Gunner says:

So much for NH’s comments a few weeks back when he said JMac will be available to pitch in September to help the Bucs for the stretch drive.

64. Our 8.3 share revisited.

65. Dom says:

100 OVER!!!

THANKS!!!

66. Irish says:

I’d love to say it’s a lock, but will only go 50 on the Over.
    Let’s go Bucs!
    Thanks, Playoffs!

Quit poking the bear. ;)

Oh, and nice job on Ghost’s funeral service yesterday.
    And, pray for a Bucs win tonight.

Now, now, dont go insinuating our Executive of the Year would ever say something like that.

I have stated many times, I would rather have complete silence from the clowns than statements that are goofy, or controversial.

One area they still need massive help in.

69. I saw where you had me doing it. I’ve done a few, and most were dead, like Ghosty.

Agree.

Gumble and Dierdorf are the only TV announcing team I would listen to.
    Most others are horrible.

71. tdb1977 says:

Got to go with the Over right? Nope – 100 on the Under. But this time the bullpen keeps the Red Birds at bay and the offense wakes up and starts to use Mongo Bats and wallops the Red Birds in the late innings. Mr Wainwright falls apart after the 5th inning today :)

So, in all the jibberish – 100 on the the Under incase you missed it :)

I’d have to go with “was” a great announcer.

I love the our team is more popular than our other team Olympics!

74. JRay3 says:

Good evening from the gateway to the west and a great baseball city, enjoying my time out here in STL. Time to get #82!

75 on the OVER

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

75. cmat0829 says:

100 over… he HAS to, right???

76. cmat0829 says:

more front office debate/criticism… YAWN.

What NH said or didn’t say about JMac is about 1,000th on a list of important topics, right around what NH thinks of Miley Cyrus. But we are determined to work it into a blog post. Geeze.

The comment I remember was that he said it was possible he could be a bullpen arm in September but that he’d have to earn it.

78. cmat0829 says:

JMac is gone. YAWN. YAWN. YAWN. makes no difference. keep on moving.

80. radio wave says:

At playoffs: here I am again at the last minute. Hope this is number 82. I will take 100 on the over. If he cannot pitch that many innings it will be another loss.

More front office debate/defense … YAWN.

All I was stating was that neal should nave said nothing about JMac, instead of looking foolish. This is something they always do. I dont care about Miley, but this FO seems to outdo themselves when it comes to foot-in-mouth disease.

I can’t decide, so I’m not going to watch either.

83. Reading says:

Early runs have been the key against the Cards this year. Pirates need to come through early when the opportunity arises.

Neal should deflect or say nothing when asked a question on his radio show or during a press conference!

But, but……… what about the ratings? ;)

86. Jason81 says:

100 on the OVER, please!

87. cmat0829 says:

not to debate this, sorry DK, but (1) he could’ve been responding to a direct question about JMac’s status (2) he could have genuinely believed JMac had a chance to right the ship and contribute in September.

I guess he could just say “no comment” but then folks would criticize him for that. it’s no win.

anything short of “JMac? Seriously? Have you seen this headcase pitch lately? He royally sucks. He is lost. He has NO CHANCE to pitch in the majors again. He’d be lucky if he can find his way to the bathroom at this point. We just can’t wait to release this waste of space”….probably would’ve drawn ire from many.

I do wonder which game Pro-Nutters will watch, though.

Don’t be hitting DK’s hot button. ;-)

TC, did you see Puig’s throw to the plate in the 10th?

I would rather have NH win Exec of the Year award than have JMac pitch for us in Sept.

I believe it was an attempt of positive reinforcement by NH to JMac

:-)

Yes! If it was on target they have a good chance on getting the runner

And I was cursing that a September call-up won the game for the Reds

94. Mrevo says:

Brought a tear to my eye

What’s kind of funny is there is probably not one person on this board who disagrees with DFA’ing JMac, or will miss him, but we still find a way to debate it. (OK, maybe one or 2, but you know what I mean.)

I was just cursing that as well to my boy!***

*** Literally. It was my son.

I really cant figure out this whole silly ratings/ who are you watching stuff.

I have a remote control, so I will watch both. I dont see a problem.

I do recall some people criticizing me for flipping back and forth between a Pirate game, and a Steeler preseason game. I always thought there was room for all 3 pro sports teams in Pittsburgh. I was obviously wrong.

Go figure.

Me too. Was

And he seems to have his own language …which includes nicknames for every player.

Who said recently that “not to ___” meant ignore everything after “but?” I think it was Plan.

AW, I am going to have you remember my sayings from now on………… you do a better job than I :)

102. cosmo says:

100 on the over please.

103. Jason81 says:

Larry Vanover off to a roaring start behind the plate tonight.

100 on the OVER, because we need it.

I’ll say.

106. The Gunner says:

JMac earned the DFA to say the least. Let’s hope Locke gets off to a good start tonight. The Bucs have to win this game tonight!

I’m guessing Neal is into twerking on the dance floor so he probably supports Miley.

108. Lad 9 says:

Jeff, lets not do this again!

109. Playoffs by 2012 says:

This guy sucks.
    - Thom Brennaman

So does Brennaman.

At least Locke was keeping the ball down

That DP helped.

113. Reading says:

That comment is basically the line of demarcation for Locke’s season.

114. Steve J. Smith says:

Message to Locke, THROW STRIKES!!!

This ump stinks. There are a ton of very close pitches

116. Steve J. Smith says:

Doesn’t help that the ump BLOWS!

117. pattonbb says:

Why throw to third, Cutch? That’s bad baseball by a great baseball player.

118. Eric Bowser says:

Umpire not giving Locke the inside fastball… such crap.

McCutchen with another fundamental error throwing the ball to third base allowing runner from first base to advance to second.

Mental approach for this team needs to get sharp now.

119. The Gunner says:

Simply inexcusable!!!

120. Patrick(ri) says:

Been watching on espn gamecast. Ump squeezing Locke. No doubt, unless gamecast is way off.

121. Steve J. Smith says:

No, it is right. He is getting squeezed, and the Cards are getting the calls – as usual.

122. Patrick(ri) says:

Starting to wonder if they are showing signs of playing not to lose? Aka “choking?”

123. Eric Bowser says:

When bats are cold and you don’t get 6-7 quality innings from your starter, this is what your team will look like.

124. Reading says:

Wainwright has apparently solved his ERA problem. Going to be a long night. Only a matter of time until Cards cash in.

125. Patrick(ri) says:

True. Locke looks better, though.

126. Patrick(ri) says:

Locke is showing some mental toughness, overcoming a problematic ump and a double to Wainwright. Nice job, so far.

127. Eric Bowser says:

Pedro back to his April sucking….

128. pattonbb says:

Pedro missed that first curve by two feet.

129. Pucknutz says:

WOW!! Benny Benack – All the Way.
    What a Blast From the Past -sorry Porkey used your line !
    Completely forgot about this one – got a Green Weenie (not literally but you know what I mean) LOL
    Really cool Plan !!!!

130. Steve J. Smith says:

Pedro Cirano couldn’t either.

131. Steve J. Smith says:

And the lead off walks are about to bite in the behind. Doesn’t help when we couldn’t score in the top of the inning.

132. Eric Bowser says:

Pedro Alvarez
    All-Star Break .250 avg, 24 HR, 62 RBI
    Post break .202 avg, 8 HR, 25 RBI

Locke looks nothing like the pitcher was in the first few months of the season. He looks more like the rookie pitcher he was last year

134. Eric Bowser says:

I’m contacting the Pirates, this comment is unbecoming of a Pirates supporter.

135. Playoffs by 2012 says:

This game is no different than any of the games Mr. Locke pitched from April to early July.

Lots o’ walks.
    Lots o’ pitches.

Bend but don’t break.

What happened to him ?

137. Steve J. Smith says:

2-0 off of a lead off walk that eventually scores on a sac fly, then a wild pitch gets runner over to score on the infield single. Game-series-second place if no one else besides Cutch can hit the ball. Come on Bats!!!!

138. Eric Bowser says:

need to pull Locke… 4 innings 76 pitches. He’s done, if I’m coaching.

139. Reading says:

A two-run deficit, in an offensive-malaise game like this, is for all intents and purposes insurmountable.

140. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Johnny Ray III,

How’s the “talent” level in the crowd tonight?
    Looks decent from what I’ve seen on TV.

141. DJ says:

Bad decision by Pedro not trying for Molina at home, one of the slower runners — if not the slowest — in the league. Zero chance at first.

Pedro needs to get his head together.

142. Reading says:

HR Derby slump.

143. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Put in Iginla!!
    ;)

144. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Throwing from his knees,
    while going away from the plate,
    with the runner in his direct throwing path.

Would have been a tough play for Brooks Robinson, let alone Pedro.

145. Steve J. Smith says:

The 81st win hangover is still following this team for a third game. Snap the heck out of it already!

146. Reading says:

First place, we hardly knew ye.

147. Playoffs by 2012 says:

A three-run homer puts them in the lead.
    Earl Weaver ball.

I blame Johnny for the Pirates performance.

Pirates swept the Angels in grand fashion when he saw them in LA. Now, the Baseball Gods are taking away what they had giveth.

I also blame Jandy for messing up Locke’s mechanics when she saw him in Altoona. God knows what she did to the kid.

149. DJ says:

After seeing the quality of the throw — which is pretty much what I expected — I agree. He put his entire effort into it and threw a lollipop to third.

Love McCutchen but he will never be a 5-tool player, unless the 5th tool is his dreadlocks.

150. Reading says:

Pie Traynor makes that play.

151. Mrevo says:

Unbelievable that they can add Byrd and Mourneau and still suck.

152. Playoffs by 2012 says:

What was his UZR?

153. DJ says:

Sorry, but all based upon game circumstances.

On this one, Molina turned around and watched to see if it got through before running. If he ran and Pedro through immediately to the plate, he still gets Molina. With the turn-and-look by Molina, he’s out easily.

154. Eric Bowser says:

might be watching the last game with Pirates in first place…

155. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Still would have been a tough play.
    Throwing from his knees, into the path of the runner is tricky.

In the end it really doesn’t matter.
    Run scored, and we need to start hitting.

156. Parrothead01 says:

It’s hard to win when you put the lead off hitter on every inning and have a WHIP over 2.

157. DJ says:

. . . that would be “threw”

158. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Robert Hasis.
    Paging, Robert Hasis.
    The floor is yours sir.

159. Lad 9 says:

Somebody has to tell him to throw home. Shortstop’s call.

160. Steve J. Smith says:

4-0 here we come after that bonehead play after the lead off hit-batsman.

Pitching and defense carried the Pirates the first 2/3 of the season.

Now that the pitching and defense are gone, what is going to carry the team the rest of the way?

So very frustrating to watch how they have imploded.
    Pennant race nerves are destroying them.
    Sad.

Seconded !

163. Playoffs by 2012 says:

They need a theme song.
    Those are usually good for at least 2-4 wins.

164. Dadtackular says:

Why didn’t they pinch hit for Locke? Why is Locke still pitching? Just curious.

165. Parrothead01 says:

Way to go Clint. You can’t hit and now you make poor errors. What happened to Mercer being the starter. At least he occasionly gets a hit.

166. DJ says:

He didn’t need to throw a rope to home, like he tried to at first. A catcher-like throw to first on a dropped third strike would have done the trick.

One run could be the difference and we need to hold them everywhere we can, particularly given we are not hitting.

167. Eric Bowser says:

As I said 15 minutes ago…. he’s done and now another run.

168. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Sadly, Locke has fared better that the last 2 starters did.

169. Steve J. Smith says:

At this point in the game they should have had the infield in before now. May have gotten a call at home for a change. Still 3-0.

170. DJ says:

They’re all watching, Lad. We seem to be sleep-walking the last few games.

171. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Instant Replay is going to be a god-send to MLB.

172. Playoffs by 2012 says:

It worked the second time around!

173. Lad 9 says:

Great play by Martin. Time for some runs now!

174. The Gunner says:

The Bucs sure got a break on that play at home plate. Hey, we’re not proud; we accept all donations!

175. Dadtackular says:

It will absolutely overturn many calls.

176. pattonbb says:

Pirates do a nice job of limiting the damage.

Great play by Martin on that play at home by the way. Pedro’s poor throw from his feet to home is why you don’t ask him to try it from his knees.

177. Steve J. Smith says:

Where are these high batting average hits against Wainwright?

178. Dadtackular says:

Looks like ump has loosened the strike zone the last few innings. Very inconsistent since the first two in innings.

179. pattonbb says:

He was out. If he slides, he’s safe.

180. Lad 9 says:

Agree. Definitely out. Got his shoe before it landed.

182. pattonbb says:

“Going Out in Style” – Dropkick Murphys

183. Steve J. Smith says:

Paging Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine! If they are going to hit like Stooges, they might as well bring in the head Stooges.

I want to be Sedated — Ramones.

It will be a God-send for the calls.

It will also result in 5 hour games.

Guess there is a trade-off.

186. DJ says:

Someone wake me up when we get our next hit.

It may be halfway through the Steelers game tomorrow.

187. Steve J. Smith says:

Now it’s 4-0.

“99 Problems”-Jay Z

The Cards and Reds have been in pennant races the past few years.
    The Pirates have collapsed the past few years.
    Tonight we are seeing this in full effect.

I am happy we hit 81 wins, but I am now re-adjusting my expectations the rest os the year.
    I am praying we make the playoffs.
    No one person to blame for this……… it just is what it is.

190. Reading says:

Michigan is playing Notre Dame on another network.

191. Lad 9 says:

Sometimes – heck most times – your betting lines are deliciously evil. Like tonight. :)

Did anyone see Mark Harmon on the pregame ceremony for his Dad’s number. What the hell did he do with his hair? He looked like Ben Stiller’s “Simple Jack” character in “Tropic Thunder.”

193. Eric Bowser says:

The weight of 82 has arrived…

194. Parrothead01 says:

No home runs and no RBIs in six games. Nor way has replaced Jones nicely.

195. Eric Bowser says:

Pedro can’t hit crap…. bench him tomorrow.

196. Press Kyle says:

See that Jay Bell has already taught Byrd the “swing at bad pitches out of the zone” trick and the “ground into DP with 2 on and none out” trick. That happened quickly.

Wainwright has the Buccos eating out of hs hand. Isn’t helping that the plate umpire is giving him everything after giving Locke nothing. That last strike to McCutchen was ridiculous. This one’s over.

And, for those of you who don’t think the great slide of 2013 is underway, well, you need to see your optometrist. Starting pitching has imploded, hitting has gotten worse (if that’s possible), mental part of the game is deteriorating (nice throw, Cutch), and the defense is eroding. Look out below. Another collapse of historical proportions is right around the corner.

Hope you have all enjoyed the Pirates stay in first place, because this will be it for the year. At this point, have to figure out if they can beat the Cubs and Padres. Don’t see them contending with any good teams.

Time to start debating who will be starting the Wild Card game, which will be played in Cincinnati. If the Bucs manage to hold on to the second spot, that is.

197. DJ says:

Yes, saw that.

Would love to say he’s instinctual (he’s not) but at least he’s a fast learner.

Here’s hoping Pedro does four things much better next year. First and second, pitch recognition and command of strike zone.

Third and fourth, reduce the errors to 15 or under and improve his in-game defensive smarts.

198. Reading says:

What if they threw an 82 party and nobody showed up?

199. Jay H says:

“After The Love Has Gone” / Earth Wind and Fire

Something happened along the way
    What used to be happy was sad
    Something happened along the way
    And yesterday was all we had

200. The Gunner says:

What a negative post! I think you are wrong.

201. DJ says:

A bomb could go off in the Pirates dugout right now and none of them would notice.

202. DJ says:

A Deep Freese for the Buccos.

203. Mrevo says:

I keep wondering why nobody dares to criticize Jay Bell. I’m starting to feel that feeling again, oh yeah, it’s called embarrassment.

204. bizrow says:

Keep the faith

I am trying, but my eyes dont like what I see with this team.

Who is going to lead this team the remaining games?
    Where is the pitching? The defense? The hitting?

I am happy where we have gotten so far, but it wont mean a hill of beans if they sink into October. They need to wake up, and take care of business. Fast!

206. bizrow says:

They either will or they won’t

Its been a magical season

Get in line, put your seat belt on

Its not over till its over

Its not over ;-)

207. The Gunner says:

Hang in there, Plan – don’t give up the ship

Thanks, Biz.

Gunner………..

as long as I dont get on the ship, we will be ok.
    If i got on it, it would sink. Not doing it. ;)

Not giving up, just realistically looking down the road, and praying I am wrong!

210. DJ says:

The one aspect all of the Pirates should be paying attention to is the willingness of Cardinals hitters to take the outside pitch to the opposite field. We do not do that on anything approaching a consistent basis.

In a losing effort, that’s something each of our players should take with him into tomorrow’s game and beyond, because that’s what professional hitters do.

211. Patrick(ri) says:

It means nothing at this point in this game, but all 7 of Grilli’s pitches were in the Gamecast strike zone.

212. Mrevo says:

It always seems to be off.

213. Reading says:

Sunday lineup tomorrow will produce the critical W- maybe. Hard to do worse than 0, count ‘em, 0 runs.

214. Exactly DJ. Fundamental baseball. I don’tmi nd the Weaver way of playing ball (i.e homeruns or nothing), but when you are behind in games they need to first get on base, and the only real way to do that is with smart ABs. The main reason they K so much is due to trying to KILL the ball each time up and end up swinging at too many actual balls (not strikes).

215. Hey, it happened to the Cardinals of all teams for three games in a row when they last played us at home. Though our B squad was the team that came from 12-1 deficit last night and made it a 12-8 game, so I like where your heads at.

216. Press Kyle says:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I’d love to know what you see in the way the Bucs are playing that gives you ANY hope at all. Some shred of hope, some glimmer of possbility, any good sign that might convey the impression that they have the ability to stay in this Division race. Without going back to June, I don’t see how you can.

At this point,they have to figure out a way to beat the Cubs enough times while the Cards and Reds start falling apart. Pretty unlkely

217. JuniataKid says:

This is why I just never got emotionally tied up in the Pirates this year. Still watched, still went to games, but never got excited about them. Deep down, I expected them to crap the bed. And here they go.

218. Reading says:

Cards guarantee themselves a Winning Season! Hey, 82 can be achieved!

219. It’s table flippin’ time for Hurdle. These guys look lost and it is not good. Like I said last night, all they need to do is win one of the next two games to leave STL in first place. Now they have to win tomorrow for that to happen. Luckily Chuck has been great the last couple starts, so I hope he shows his A game and that the rest of the team follows for a change. Don’t look now, but the Reds are only 1 game behind us and we still have 6 left with them.

220. WVStarship says:

3 down, 21 to go.

221. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Yeah….That team was lifeless tonight.
    No sense wasting time on a fiasco like that.

222. Reading says:

Weaver, who lost two World Series to the Pirates.

223. Chuck H says:

Wow! 3 in a row, and I don’t mean wins. It took longer this year, but now they are a downward spiral. Did we forget how to hit again? If all they wanted was to finish .500, then their season is over. Why wasn’t Mercer playing instead of Barmes? It looked to me and
    a lot of others that they weren’t even trying. 2 of their runs came in after 1st batter walks
    by Locke who should be done for the season. Nice season, Pittsburgh!!!

They didn’t look good.
    But it was also Locke’s first start in weeks and the starter they faced was good and the ump was terrible

225. Bob Hasis says:

Let me see if I can recap;

You whined that Pedro MUST play despite his K’s, well you got your wish and K’s too, and with few (no) HR’s or RBI’s
    You demanded Lambo and slow-footed Morneau (who must be slower than Giancarlo Stanton) and are still not satisfied
    You’ve got your snake-oil salesman still writing Barmes name in the starting lineup, and are still disgruntled
    Leyva (his name speaks for itself)
    You’ve gotten Pedro and Martin removed from clean-up and their production has decreased
    Now you’re reduced to berating Jay Bell, forgetting CH was also a hitting coach

We are now looking at the side view with the instructions; Caution objects are closer than they appear – in this case Arizona and Washington!
    First place is now a distant memory; for that I say, “congrats Hurdle”

226. Bob Hasis says:

side view mirror

227. Steelag70 says:

Pathetic, listless outing by this team yet again…

228. Press Kyle says:

Yeah, I am a victim of getting into it emotionally. I said I would if the were still in it on Labor Day. When they were, I started getting into the games for the first time all year. Predictably, the Buccos sarted playing like crap. My bad. Time to detach emotionally as the roller coaster starts down.

229. Daquido_Bazzini says:

We are most certainly in agreement about the ump.
    I’m not insinuating that’s why we lost the game, but early on he established a mouse hole of a strike zone for Locke.

230. Steelag70 says:

This team is wilting under the pressure….not looking good…no home playoff game this year folks…

231. florida steeler says:

I am not certain Hurdle deserves blame. It is up to the players to play defense and hit the baseball. Pedro Alvarez stinks, Barmes does not belong on the team and Burnett and Wandy are done. He has few options, Snider, Jones, Gaby, Harrison–you have to be kidding.
    These Alvarez lovers, because he hits a home run every once in a while, have disappeared. He is a liability both at the plate and in the field.

232. Steelag70 says:

Good thing football season is here…

233. Bob Hasis says:

Well I personally think CH does not manage very well. His bunting tactics, coaching, handling of the daily lineup, the mishandling of the pitching at critical times, failure to recognize and properly use his talent (i.e. Mercer and Presley) and JHay at certain times, etc, etc. This has been my position ALL SEASON LONG, and here we are at the precipice of failing again under Hurdle’s BS leadership

234. Ghost says:

Plus many, Gunner.
    And plus even more for ignoring the bait to further engage with the nonsense.
    A lot of the usual suspects here that only come out to drop poop into the punchbowl. They can have each other’s company. I’ll be back in the morn, looking forward to Chuckles twirling a win.

235. Bob Hasis says:

One last word; let us not forget all of those “maintenance days off” for Cutch, Walker, and others, games which we lost, and he smugly told us they were important going down the stretch. Well here we are – going down the stretch – and we now NEED those games that were sacrificed due to a maintenance day off!

236. Ghost says:

That’s a big 10-4, Biz!
    Those who only come out to pick over and wallow in losses can have each other’s company.

Myself, I can’t wait for tomorrow!

237. Ghost says:

I thought you were at home in water. Practically amphibious. A regular Hippy Hippy Bang Bang.

238. Stuart says:

Glad I didn’t take the iPad to the wedding. Finally had to text my son at Pitt to get a score & didn’t like it when I got it!

Not giving up yet, but starting to look like last two years.

Go ground Chuck.

Stuart

I was never aware this was even close………….

Pedro may win a Triple Crown of a very bad sort……
    He is leading the league in Home Runs, Strikeouts and Errors.

YIKES !!!!

240. John Lease says:

Dan Dierdorf? I can’t tolerate guys who can’t disguise how they hate the Steelers.

241. John Lease says:

I hate being proven right.

Crap. I just made coffee and i’m fresh out of cyanide.

243. Lad 9 says:

Thunder has some for you… :)

244. djinwestpa says:

Drew,

Cyanide is in the mail. I won’t be needing the rest of mine.

DJ

Thanks.

Nothing like friends to help a fella out.

And Thunder too. Whatever he is.