Madden joins our ‘Final Word’ cast

The joint venture between WPXI and Trib Total Media into sports TV continues tonight at 11:35 p.m. with the latest episode of The Final Word.

>> Who’s on: Mark Madden, top-rated radio host of 105.9 the X and a friend of mine since childhood, joins our cast for this one and will remain a regular on the show. WPXI contributors will be Alby Oxenreiter and Bill PhillipsThe Trib will be represented by myself and Alan Robinson. Our topics will by led, of course, by the Steelers’ opener and the Pirates at the 82 threshold.

>> How to participate: Each week, we also take comments from viewers through 20-second videos you submit on The Final Word’s Facebook page, as well as comments to The Final World’s Twitter account

>> Where to watch: In addition to the regular broadcast on WPXI-TV, we have WPXI’s live online stream for Pittsburgh’s many out-of-town sports fans, as well as video podcasts available on both outlets’ Web sites.

Here’s last week’s episode.

Really hope to have you along, not only watching but also joining in!

Comments

Whatever you think of Madden , this has to give a boost to the ratings.

Of course expect tweets from strippers. Which may also help ratings

:-)

2. Ghost says:

If I’m down to my underwear when I tweet, does that count?

You dont look like Madden’s strippers.

4. SJB says:

If you want to hear opinion on inane topics such as pro-wrestling and street hockey, Madden is your man…other than that, he is an elitist, condescending blowhard who disguises he lack of real knowledge on most sports topics with derogatory, ignorant comments. He’s Pittsburgh’s answer to Philadelphia’s Howard Eskin and I wouldn’t spit on either if they were dying of thirst.

He’s an awful human being and sports talk show host with grammar and speaking skills that would make the late Myron Cope blush. The only people who enjoy his brand of controversial mouth breathing are they same who like to watch snuff flicks and Jersey Shore episodes. He’s obviously what today’s society craves and hopefully he can someday be the spokesperson for Brawndo…that is, if he’s not The President by then.

5. Playoffs by 2012 says:

“Mark Madden, top-rated radio host of 105.9 the X”
    —————————————————————————————————————–
    See, this is why we can’t have nice things.

6. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Mark Madden “The Intelligent Thought Mutilator”

I still keep in touch with a childhood friend who is a d-bag as well.

8. Ghost says:

You’re right. My clothes only come off for the Pond. :-D

Thanks for that visual. :-)

:D

Then you wonder why you have holes in your clothes, and get shot/killed all the time.

Blush wont be calling anytime soon……..

Madden knows Hockey, Wrestling, and strippers.

Tonights topics are sure to be Pirates and Steelers.

This should be good. Or a trainwreck. Or a good trainwreck.

Maybe he will tell us all the details of Pirates and Steelers wrestling with strippers. :D

13. Brandie says:

They all can’t be winners.

14. Ghost says:

The ‘holy shroud’ part is true enough. But as for my “death,” that was just humoring you. I’m a ghost. I’m long dead. I am the *undead.*

Don’t get the Blush reference. Sort of like The World’s Most Interesting Man not knowing the word “bromance?”

Blush is a strip joint in downtown Pittsbugh.

It may kill you. ;)

16. Ghost says:

I’m kinda like Danny DeVito in It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia — just letting my a _ _ breath. :D :D

17. Ghost says:

Oh. Got it. Will have to make it one of my ‘haunts.’

18. Ghost says:

These days, my money is on the strippers.

19. Brandie says:

This thread is too weird, even for me.

Now THAT is something.
    Your Hippo leaves this thread, so I will see you tomorrow.

Exit stage right ——————————————————————————————————>

I like Madden in small doses. And his interviews of sports figures are actually very professionally done, and better than most radio personalities in town. He tends to go overboard and self destructs after a while. But he can be very funny. To be fair, also mean.

I have never watched a snuff flick or a Jersey Shore episode, cross my heart. Or been to Blush for that matter.

22. Ghost says:

And I was just thinking, “We’ve pretty much hijacked this thread and corrupted it beyond any usefulness to DK or The Final Word.”
    I guess I better slip out the back stage door, too. Before I get blocked from logging in again…

+ many.

He does seem to give very good interviews to sports figures.
    When he isnt doing that, it is pretty much a trainwreck.

24. Eric Bowser says:

Steelers offense had 53 yds in 1st drive (12 plays) & 75 yds on last drive (9 plays) for TD. They had 67 yds in 9 other drives (32 plays).

25. DJ says:

Not related to the preceding posts but thought I would throw this random one in.

Greg Zuerlein, the second year kicker for the Rams out of Nebraska, is an absolute beast. They showed him in pre-game warm-ups and — if this is possible — his leg may have gotten even stronger in only his second season, after he started last year 15 for 15. I realize he kicks indoors but he was kicking them into the net consistently in warm-ups . . . from 60 yards. Again, into the net from 60 yards.

He was the first pick in the sixth round. Our fourth and fifth rounders in 2012? Alameda Ta’amu and Chris Rainey. Enough said.

26. DJ says:

And on a more upbeat note, Pens camp right around the corner.

27. lupesanchez says:

Agree 100%

28. chethejet says:

Dejan mentioned he was a childhood friend of MM. I am sure you are the only one. And I am sure when MM passed around Playboy Magazine, you appreciated the writing and content.

DK: Knock it off. I don’t account for the work of others, and I’d never expect anyone else to account for mine. I focus on my own.

29. twentytwo22 says:

Comic relief. Will Allen and Ryan Mundy have interceptions in this game.

30. twentytwo22 says:

For Steelers: Mundy 1 int in 64 games, Allen 0 int in 46 games.

I want SJB to give my eulogy.

I’ll forego the smiley, out of respect.

Great. I only get respect when I’m dead.

34. Playoffs by 2012 says:

AMEN!

I think I’d rather near him eulogize Chuckles The Clown.

If Madden uses the term ‘yinzers’ – I can’t wait to see the expression on DK’ face.

That’s if I am still awake

You’ll give Lucky a run for his money.

He wants to eulogize me, too.

“A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants”.

We can only hope there will be a discussion about local sports television ratings.

A wise man once told me – never attend a parade dressed as a peanut.

Lou Grant?

Madden will definitely bring a little “color” to the show.

Or was that Murray?

Ted, go figure.

I was thinking. Apparently the Steelers stink. Pitt stinks. The Pirates are in the tank. I’m not a Penn State fan, so no help there. So when’s the puck drop again ?

46. DJ says:

Thursday, Oct 3 @ 7 p.m.

Not that I’m counting it down or anything.

Ted Baxter: [ad-libbing an on-air obituary] Ladies and gentlemen, sad news. One of our most beloved entertainers, and close personal friend of mine, is dead. Chuckles the Clown died today from – from uh – he died a broken man. Chuckles, uh, leaves a wife. At least I assume he was married, he didn’t seem like the other kind. I don’t know his age, but I guess he was probably in his early sixties; it’s kind of hard to judge a guy’s face especially when he’s wearing big lips and a light bulb for a nose. But he had his whole life in front of him, except for the sixty some odd years he already lived. I remember, Chuckles used to recite a poem at the end of each program. It was called “The Credo of the Clown,” and I’d like to offer it now in his memory – “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” That’s what it’s all about, folks, that’s what he stood for, that’s what gave his life meaning. Chuckles liked to make people laugh. You know what I’d like to think, I’d like to think that somewhere, up there tonight, in his honor, a choir of angels is sitting on whoopee cushions.

That Eastern Conference finals appearance isn’t looking that shabby anymore.

49. DJ says:

Good point.

And here’s hoping that, when it is all said and done, Huntington did not pull “a Shero” — for the Pirates and the fans’ sake.

Reds sweep the Dodgers. You’re actually allowed to play better down the stretch ?

51. DJ says:

No need to worry about “five LaRods in a row” against the Bengals. Being reported now as an ACL.

52. Scott says:

I used to think that. And then I began listening to his show and realized the only callers he makes fun of are the ones who deserve to made fun of – the ones who don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.

You’re doing a hell of a lot of stereotyping to suggest that the only people who enjoy Madden’s work are uneducated hicks. Some of us are intelligent professionals who like listening to MM because he’s a no-nonsense guy who isn’t afraid to tell it like it is (as he sees it, anyway.) It’s obvious you don’t listen to his show, because you’re way overplaying the whole “controversy” thing – 99% of the time, his show is simply entertaining sports banter with no controversy whatsoever.

The “lack of knowledge on most sports topics” is a frequent insult used by Madden haters, but it’s simply not true. Just because he doesn’t enjoy baseball and football as much as hockey doesn’t mean he’s not educated on those subjects. Also, as others have noted on this thread, Madden is one of the best interviewers in the city.

Good move by The Final Word to bring him onboard. I haven’t watched the show since the dreadful premier episode, and now I’ll be tuning in again.

54. Scott says:

Oh, also, Dejan is a big Madden fan and friend, which is why he appears on Mark’s show on a regular basis. So you think DK enjoys snuff films?

Sean Lee could have been a Steeler.

Just sayin’.

56. Eric Bowser says:

I’m heading to bed… but I’ll leave you with this simple historical reference….. I think you’ll see one MAJOR reason why the Steelers have had problems the last few years.

YEAR – LT, LG, C, RG, RT
    1990 – John Jackson, Brian Blankenship, Dermontti Dawson, Terry Long, Tunch Ilkin
    1991 – John Jackson, Tom Ricketts, Dermontti Dawson, Carlton Haselrig, Tunch Ilkin
    ———————————————————————————-
    1992 – John Jackson, Duval Love, Dermontti Dawson, Carlton Haselrig, Tunch Ilkin
    1993 – John Jackson, Duval Love, Dermontti Dawson, Justin Strzelcyzk, Leon Searcy
    1994 – John Jackson, Duval Love, Dermontti Dawson, Todd Kalis, Leon Searcy
    1995 – John Jackson, Tom Newbery, Dermontti Dawson, Justin Strzelcyzk, Leon Searcy
    1996 – John Jackson, Will Wolford, Dermontti Dawson, Brenden Stai, Justin Strzelcyzk
    1997 – John Jackson, Will Wolford, Dermontti Dawson, Brenden Stai, Justin Strzelcyzk
    1998 – Will Wolford, Alan Faneca, Dermontti Dawson, Brenden Stai, Jamain Stephens
    1999 – Wayne Gandy, Alan Faneca, Dermontti Dawson, Brenden Stai, Anthony Brown
    2000 – Wayne Gandy, Alan Faneca, Dermontti Dawson, Rich Tylski, Marvel Smith
    2001 – Wayne Gandy, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Rich Tylski, Marvel Smith
    2002 – Wayne Gandy, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons, Marvel Smith
    2003 – Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons, Oliver Ross
    2004 – Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Keydrick Vincent, Oliver Ross
    2005 – Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons, Max Starks
    2006 – Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Kendall Simmons, Max Starks
    ———————————————————————————-
    2007 – Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Sean Mahan, Kendall Simmons, Willie Colon
    2008 – Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton, Willie Colon
    2009 – Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig, Trai Essex, Willie Colon
    2010 – Jonathan Scott, Chris Kemoeatu, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Flozell Adams
    2011 – Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Marcus Gilbert
    2012 – Max Starks, Willie Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Marcus Gilbert

57. WVStarship says:

Well, I tuned in to watch the show tonight on the internet stream.

Madden did a great impression of a weather map. So did Dejan.

Kind of like watching the Pirates’ offense.

‘Nite all.

58. Dom says:

Great show yesterday.

Madden is a great addition and I liked his Hawaiian shirt.

59. Tony says:

ugh…just lost tons of respect for you Dejan.

Madden is the worst kind of obnoxious bore. He’s bad enough that it’s not even interesting to watch him or listen. The worst part is that it isn’t shtick. A close friend worked with him in Monroeville when he was writing for that Pens paper over there 10 years ago or so, and told of many stories that highlighted his douchebaggery.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle