Final: Pirates 3, Cubs 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (84-61) vs. Chicago Cubs (62-83)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. LHP Chris Rusin

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Josh Harrison, 2B
  2. Jordy Mercer, SS
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Justin Morneau, 1B
  5. Marlon Byrd, RF
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Jose Tabata, LF
  9. Locke, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Travis Sawchik is on the scene.

Comments

At least I don’t have to wear my Barmes mask tonight.

It may be quiet in here too, what with all the finger puppets at the game tonight.

Barmes masks and TC hand puppets, oh my!

4. What about the DK masks? Where do we get those?

And do they have a ball cap on them, backwards?

5. Patrick(RI) says:

I like this lineup. Good to see JHay’s energy on the field, leaving NW on the bench for any pitching change, or as a pinch hitter — in fact, the bench looks pretty strong (I have not had that thought since the ’70s).

Blog souvenir shop. On special this month.

7. blazer says:

Hope the crowd is pumped up. Since it is on WGN I will be able to record it and watch it later tonight. Now I just got to remember not to check for scores… Hows the rain doing up there?

Willfully giving outs away….SMH

They are on the drawing board right now, Rev, with mustaches and Hockey sticks.

Hung em on the Charity Sign.

Facing downtown.

I understand your confusion. But those aren’t hockey sticks.

12. radio wave says:

I don’t know about masks and other strange things at the game tonight. But one strange and needed event at the game is a win by Locke.

13. Nate83 says:

I get to watch it because of WGN as well. Unfortunately they are only showing 2 of the 4 games. I also will get all 6 of the Reds games. I’m really looking forward to watching half the remaining games instead of waiting for MLB Network live look-ins and watching squares moving around on the bases.

LMAO! Yinz are making me laugh out lout and my coworkers think I’m losing it!

15. That draws a “Mercy”.

16. John Lease says:

I’m just asking Locke to not get blown out.

6IP, 3ER will be a win for him.

I have a feeling we will see a bounceback effort from Locke tonight. The Cubs are not zactly the ’27 Yankees … or the ’13 Cardinals and their fancy Avg w/ RISP.

If I remember the silly MLB-DirecTV rule, I will have to watch it on WGN and not get the Pirates telecast.

BTW, people have occasionally mentioned on here that Tim Neveritt has no ability to judge the flight of the ball. It was never more glaring, IMO, than in the past week. I think he had one ball in TX pegged as a drive to CF. He sheepishly had to backtrack and say it did not even get out of the infield, as the 2b camped under it.

I still prefer him and all the ROOT announcers to Len Casper and the guy who used to pitch for the Astros, whose name will come to me as soon as I submit this post.

Jim DeShaies.

20. Playoffs by 2012 says:

TWO-LINE THURSDAY!!!

******PLEASE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW******
    PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier when I don’t have to hunt to find everyone’s “wagers”

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!

Line #1
    Total HITS + WALKS + HBP by Justin Morneau in tonight’s game
    Line is 1.5

Line #2
    Total ATTENDANCE for tonight’s game
    Line is 32,100.5

GOOD LUCK!!!

Wild Card Magic Number: 10

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

KEEP CALM & MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

21. Playoffs by 2012 says:

How did Alex Presley do yesterday?

22. Nate83 says:

It is pretty fancy. They are still very good but closer to average if you take that one stat away. They still hit for a really good average but don’t have anywhere near the speed or power they would need to get the runs they do without the crazy RISP average. It didn’t seem sustainable but 144 games in they have been pretty solid except for a few hiccups.

23. blazer says:

I’ll take 100 on each for the under. Think the rain will keep people away enough.

Now, that Harrison is back down to .250, and I believe he has still drawn just the one walk on the season, can I remove my self-imposed moratorium on bashing him? Ok, I said I would not go there again for a long time. I’m ok with him getting the occasional start. But, should he be batting 1st?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this, but I believe the last time a Pirates leadoff batter in the 1st inning reached safely was the Sunday game vs. St. Louis at PNC. I believe Walker led off with a single. I don’t see that streak ending tonight.

25. Wild Bill says:

Are they gonna get this game started on time? Raining hard at the ranch right now.

26. Nate83 says:

Line 1 – 50 on the under
    Line 2 – 100 on the over

I hope line 2 isn’t a push. 1/2 person attending the game would be pretty gruesome. Maybe finger puppets count for a 1/2 person.

27. kr70 says:

1 100 on the over
    2 100 on the under and thanks

Line 1, I’ll go with 100 units on the over.
    Line 2, also 100 units on the over.
    Thanks Playoffs :)

So, you mess with us on your lines, but that’s not good enough?

You have to bend us over, too?

(Just messing with you, my friend)

30. tdb1977 says:

Lets go with 100 on the over on line 1
    Lets also go with 100 on the under on line 2 – 32100 tonight :D

31. Nate83 says:

He has 2 walks on the year. You are off by 100%. Talk about scewing the numbers to support your arguement.

But yes you are correct. He doesn’t put our best 8 players on the field in any situation.

100 nuke nuggets on the OVER for both lines

Thanks Playoffs

33. Playoffs by 2012 says:

If only I had a barrel….
    You going to be in attendance tonight?

34. Frankie says:

100 each on the under……

35. Guess they’re all just “clutch” hitters, Nate.

;)

We’ll be at the game tonight celebrating the first Pirate winning team in 2 decades, and DK will be over at the Point wondering why it took so long to get the fountain working. ;-)

37. Karen22 says:

1. 100 – UNDER

2. 100 – OVER

38. Bill Born says:

1 for 3 with a douible
    Today he is 1 for 4
    Hitting .340 with Twins.

39. gregenstein says:

I’ll concede that I don’t really like Harrison leading off. I’d probably flip him and Tabata. I’d even consider throwing Cutch up there, dropping Harrison to like 7, and moving everyone else up 1 spot. Maybe even bat the pitcher #8.

40. Karen22 says:

It’s all supposed to be gone long before game time…but you know we all want that weatherman’s job.

41. Baywatch says:

I haven’t even looked yet … no complaints about the lineup, I’m sure. :-) FREE LAMBO FROM OFF THE BENCH!

42. Bill Born says:

100 on both lines ,Please
    Line1 Over

Line 2 Under

43. Stickyweb says:

Why no Gaby against a LHP? Morneau’s OPS is .550 against lefties. Other than that quibble, I like it.

44. Baywatch says:

And we haven’t used Lambo off the bench as a pinch-hitter, I think, since his last time up when he boomed a double into the left-centerfield gap in ol’ St. Lou.

45. Nate83 says:

Harrison should be dropped to the bench. Oops……that was a little harsh. I generally like everyone but I’m with Jim on this one. The guy gives his all but I see his ceiling as a 5th outfielder. Those guys don’t start. They defensive sub which he doesn’t make sense for, pinch run and pinch hit.

You want to sit Byrd??

Listening to the Mets broadcast. What a pleasure it is to listen to Howie Rose. Complete professional.

Be there, buddy. Wouldn’t miss it.

49. Stickyweb says:

100 on both UNDERS please. Thanks.

50. Baywatch says:

Jim, I actually like Len. Just goes to show how different we all are. And I LOVED Bob Brenly, very sad to see him move on this year.

I cracked up a few years ago, when we were watching a WGN broadcast one Sunday afternoon. Just before play commenced, a helicopter flew low over PNC. There was this long on-air pause, and from out of nowhere, Brenley goes … “High chopper.” I liked to have got down in the FLOOR laughing! So that’s Jim DeShaies that replaced Brenly on color. Don’t like him. I do have a buddy from back home in Carolina who played minor league baseball with him in the Astros organization back in the early ’80s.

51. I agree with you full-heartedly, Jim. (Or fool-heartedly if you prefer a Drewism).

But, at least it’s not Brenly and Casper. They loved to Pirate-bash in their partnership days.

I couldn’t get the sound down fast enough on those 2.

52. Baywatch says:

Stickyweb, I wouldn’t call it good wood but Morneau did get two base hits off the lefty Texas started yesterday. Maybe that’s why Hurdle’s playing him … that and about $10 million other reasons? :-)

Willfully giving away outs.

54. Stickyweb says:

He crushes lefties, Jim, to the tune of .412/.429/.706/1.134. Yes it’s not many AB’s but he also has history of killing LHP in the minors. I think you’ll see him there against all LH starters unless that drops of drastically.

55. Sorry to disagree, Bay. Brenly is an OK guy, but not as an opposing broadcaster.

Does this disagreement mean Jim and I won’t be getting our free AA tickets?

56. Baywatch says:

Only thing I’m scared of the Cubs on is, from what I understand, they are behind only the Dodgers for best road win record since the All-Star break. I think Sveum has them playing much better ball.

57. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I’m planning on buying this:

If he happened to sweat inside it,
    I can clone him as many times as I want to.

I can have a whole team of Alex Presley’s.

58. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Matteau!
    Matteau!
    Matteau!
    Stephane Matteau!

59. Baywatch says:

I don’t mind if the guy does well, I really wish him the best. Just don’t want him to go all Jose Bautista on the success side of things! And I’d LIKE to see Morneau go off and start hitting home runs … THEN I won’t mind Presley hitting .340!

60. Stickyweb says:

Thanks Bay, I forgot to record the game so just followed online and didn’t realize 2 of Morneau’s hits were against a lefty. Hope he can continue that today. But I love seeing Gaby hit against lefties.

61. Baywatch says:

Drew! The occasional start for Tabby! Mrs. Drew, can you DO something with him, please!

He also hit .226 and .198 against them in the major leagues in ’11 & ’12.

63. Nate83 says:

It will be a team full of promise with lots of disappointment.

Just kidding. I liked him. I think he could be a third outfielder for an average team. I hope he does well and finds a home with the Twins. Brandon Moss found one in Oakland. Sometimes players just need a differant venue.

Funny, he spent a half inning earlier talking about how much he likes Mike Lange.

65. Lad 9 says:

Line 1 over
    Line 2 under

Both for 100. Morneau is hot and that lefty ain’t exactly Sandy Koufax out there. And I think the weather will affect the crowd. Thanks Playoffs. Go Buccos!

Regardless, leadoff is just silly.

67. Kevin S says:

MLB TV – $24.99 a month – Every game in HD and with the home announcers..

68. Baywatch says:

I’m with you, Sticky, I’d like to see Gaby up there on these days. He’s been a big disappointment, I think, but on the other hand it must be REAL hard to get any traction when you’re not getting any more playing time than he is. I really had high hopes for the guy this year, especially after he flat-out RAKED in spring training. He’s got a good eye at the plate, too.

69. Baywatch says:

Just you, Lucky. Jim hasn’t disagreed with me about Brenly yet. LOL!

70. Nate83 says:

The real question is when do we get to see Marte again. I’m really looking forward to seeing Cutch, Bryd and Marte running around that outfield. I would match them up agains any outfield in the league both offensively and defensively.

two hits off a rookie lefty reliever freshly recalled from AAA, but not like that matters.

two hits yesterday, ergo three years of at-bats are worthless.

hurdle math.

Can you explain in what way you think Gaby has been a disappointment?

73. Playoffs by 2012 says:

If I lived closer, I’d be there too.
    Enjoy!!

74. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I was and still am indifferent about him.
    Some on here act like he was the re-incarnation of Mantle.

I’ll never understand that.

No room for the guy with the .991 OPS against lefties ?

Not when Morneau had two hits off one yesterday!!!!

77. Nate83 says:

Playoffs, I can’t remember what the middle of the season bet was again. I know I picked the over but I can’t remember if it was total wins of 82 or more or if it was wins over the second half of the year.

78. TCB says:

50 under on #1.

100 under on #2.

Thanks.

79. Nate83 says:

How did the Nationals manage to have good years from Strasburg and Harper and have a really good bounce back year from Werth and still struggle for so long this year until the last 20 games? They must have some huge holes in their line up and some underperforming pitchers.

80. pattonbb says:

Line 1 – 100 OVER
    Line 2 – 100 UNDER

Harper and Ramos got hurt. Span sucked, Laroche sucked, Espinosa REALLY sucked.

Detwiler got hurt, Haren sucked, and formerly good parts of the bullpen sucked.

82. Nate83 says:

When used correctly he has been about as good as you can expect. I have no problem with him staying with the team after Morneau leaves next year and fulfilling the same role.

2 hits off a lefty yesterday for Morneau aside, Gabby has to be the guy vs. lefties. I thought that was the whole point of having him on the team.

That is a head scratcher to me. First, Gabby plays against lefties and righties. Now, he plays vs. neither?

But overall, they just didn’t click until it was too late. It happens.

And they only have to go one game over .500 the rest of the way to post an 85 win season.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them win the division next year.

Exactly. “Used properly” for Gabby means “only against lefties.”

86. Nate83 says:

I know. Trust me I have thought about it. Hard to justify it with younger kids. Homework, showers, bedtime and anything else that may pop up means I may only get to watch about an hour of each game anyway. I’m just thankful MLB Network does a good job of live look-ins.

87. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The beginning of the year line was set at 81.5 wins.

The middle of the year line was a Pick ‘Em with the majority of people going with either 45+ wins or 38-44 wins.

I can check when I get home to see exactly what you picked.
    I’ll post it right under this reply.

I have a hard time understanding this one, Nate.

Maybe people expected more? Maybe they really liked that supplementary draft pick? Maybe they think he’s ugly?

A funny thing happened on the way to the World Series. This was an organization with a collective big head, from top to bottom. You also have to remember that Werth & Harper missed chunks of the season with injuries.

Playoff pitching and Starling Marte coming back cold worries me.

Yes, everyone has different tastes, Bay. I like Brenly, too. With Len, it has bothered me a bit in the past when he puts down the Bucs as being so bad and seemed to think the Cubs should win every game against them – even though I admit he does not do it in a malicious way. I guess he never noticed how perennially bad the Cubs are, though. He has changed his tune this year. Hard not to recognize the Bucs are far superior.

92. Stickyweb says:

Ancient history. This is his year, just like it’s the Bucs year.

93. Nate83 says:

I actually hope they do. I’m not a fan of any team in that division and it will put an end to the you never know when you will get back so they should have pitched Strasburg until his arm fell off or they should have waited until June to pitch Strasburg debates.

They will need an upgrade from Haren, a more consistant Gio that is closer to the 2012 self then his good but not great 2013 self and a good bounce back year from Edwin Jackson.

94. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I can answer that real easy for you.
    All you have to do is buy some vowels and fill in the blanks.

_D_M
    L_R_CH_

The funny thing about sustainability is we don’t get to decide when a team comes tumbling back to earth. It always happens, but never on a predictable timeline. Remember the O’s with their amazing 1-run record last year? One of the best ever. Guess who has the worst winning % in MLB this year in 1-run games? I just heard on MLB Network this morning that it is those same O’s.

I think that may just be the way it is for the ’13 Cards w RISP, Nate. I keep expecting them to slump in that category, but it just isn’t happening. They are still pushing .330, which is ridiculous.

Really? I didn’t know that. We need 3/4 this weekend. If Locke can find a way to beat them, I like our chances. Charlie should be well rested, for sure.

97. Nate83 says:

Marte has been streaky. He easily could disappear during long series. I have no idea what to expect from the pitching. I’m going in with no expectations and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

98. Stickyweb says:

Can’t wait to see that too Nate. Remember when they got Byrd, some people said it’s proof Marte is done for the year? It’s like they were so used to only having 2 OFs that could hit for so long, they couldn’t imagine adding a 3rd to have a really good OF. Funny.

99. SeanAY says:

…Suckmeter?

I hope so. My phone has it at 40% at 6, then 30% from 7 on.

Of course, maybe they will delay the game for an hour and a half under brilliantly blue skies. I remember the night DK railed on that during a silly delay. He was quite funny on twitter, with his repeated pictures of a sun-drenched PNC during the delay. Never did rain.

101. Karen22 says:

Yep! I remember that!

102. Stickyweb says:

Would they need to sign or trade for Edwin Jackson first? Isn’t he a Cub?

I meant OPPOSING playoff pitching, as it relates to Starling Marte’s success, fwiw.

This is one of those annecdotal, non-saber things, but I feel like playoff pitchers so often have laser focus. And I can see him coming on like a bronco out of the gate after this long layoff.

Not a good combo.

So, AJ blew up in the pre-game Q/A. Someone asked him about his dust up with Barmes, and he stomped off saying he did not have a problem with Barmes.

Dude! Been a minute.

Those people might be right, as it stands Sticky. He’s been out, what, a month now? Only 2.5 weeks left. As NMR mentioned, coming in cold and going right back in the lineup might not be a great mix.

Righty batters hit .273 against Chris Rusin. Lefties only .217.

I’M CALM, D*MNIT.

109. Stickyweb says:

Is his act wearing thin already? For how much good he’s done for the team’s attitude,seems like these tantrums are becoming more frequent. And why would they since the team’s doing so well? I could understand if they were in another collapse like last year, but not when the TEAM (in totality) needs to be so focused on winning this thing.

110. Stickyweb says:

Well it really sucks that they can’t send him on a minor league rehab, but I’ll take Marte with 10 days to acclimate himself back in the lineup than any of their other options starting in the playoffs. Especially with the far superior defense he brings.

Didn’t he take BP a day or two ago? Has there been any news since then, good or bad?

There could lie the cognitive dissonance.

AJ may very well just be expressing himself as only he knows and is happy with the way things are going with the team, yet has to answer questions every time he shows some emotion.

That would be frustrating for anyone.

Nationals out homer the Mets 13-0 in their 4 game sweep.

113. Nate83 says:

Yes. That is a glaring mistake in my comments. He pitched for them in 2012 and I knew he had a bad year this year. Didn’t realize it was with the Cubs. Should have known that. I think I even posted something about being thankful we didn’t get him and got Liriano instead when he pitched agains us earlier this year.

114. Stickyweb says:

Are you making a case for Jay-Hay or do you want to see Gaby in there?

It’s all the %&$@ing shifts. You know like the one yesterday where Barmes was standing in the same place shortstops have been standing the last 150 years with a guy on 1st.

This is the type of guy that creates the “september stats” disclaimer for hitters.

Pirates need to take advantage of the Cubs and Padres series.

He does seem to be getting awfully excusey, doesn’t he?

118. Nate83 says:

He probably should have just said it was heat of the battle….blah, blah, blah….water under bridge. Or he could have went the no issue with Barmes, I overreacted and that’s on me route and continued to answer questions. Denying it happended and leaving was not the best way to handle it but it’s also not the worse way to handle it.

Refer to Brandon Phillips for the worse way to handle most situations.

Remember, this is the guy that refused to pitch to a borderline Hall Of Fame catcher, Jorge Posada.

120. Stickyweb says:

Well you’re definitely right about being thankful we have Frankie instead of Edwin.

121. Chuck H says:

The Pirates just swept one of the best teams in the AL in their home park, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the lowly Cubbies would sweep the Bucs in PNC. Just saying!!!

I play Walker everyday from here on out for his glove alone, but that’s me. If your choice for leadoff is Harrison or Tabata well, there is no choice. I love Josh Harrison & his mother but Tabata has to hit 1st. And I don’t buy the speed thing because nobody tries to steal against lefties these days.

This is 2 days in a row for me with this lineup stuff I have to stop. :)

123. Playoffs by 2012 says:

As Al Davis once said, “Just win baby!”

124. Jason81 says:

100 on the UNDER for both, please!

125. Stickyweb says:

I didn’t even know that Milo, thanks for posting. If the speculation that Barmes was in yesterday because AJ wanted him in (which I concede is mere speculation), then thank God the rosters are limited to 25 (now 40), or else AJ would demand his own defensive lineup.

126. cosmo says:

100 units on the over on both lines.

Next thing you know he’ll be choosing which uniforms they wear. :)

I’m on record as being good with Brenly, Bay.

Good for you, Arriba!

Funny stuff.

131. Stickyweb says:

NMR, I was ready to post a reply saying how he’s started 10 games going back to July 2 with an ERA of 2.89, so he’s pretty good. But looking closer, only 4 of his starts have been quality according to MLB and his 1.38 WHIP and .260 BAA indicate he may have been lucky up to this point. Let’s hope so.

Reincarnation of Mantle is a good line, Playoffs. Presley is a guy I’ll root for. But, he’s a 4th OF, at best.

133. pattonbb says:

If Posada is a borderline HoFer, the “border” needs to be raised, substantially.

Sorry Milo, with all due respect, Posada was a good player, but nowhere near HoF.

Anything to make my argument, Nate. When did he sneak that extra walk in on me? He must have gone to the plate w/o a bat once.

Really? Then, I definitely stand corrected. I knew he was hitting lefties this year, but dayum.

Milo waited until the perfect time to play that OPS card. I always back off in the face of OPS evidence.

136. Stickyweb says:

Good point about stealing against LHPs, but there’s more to base running than stealing, and though Tabby has done well (hitting leadoff or not) since getting healthy, he still doesn’t seem like a good base runner to me. But as a wise man once said, ICIT.

137. Now, Patton, you know that everybody that ever donned the pinstripes is a potential HOFer.

Just ask all their fans.

And, he has some clutch hits to boot. Actually, I was at the Marlins game when he launched a W/O HR, come to think of it. Ok, I’m back on the JHay bandwagon – but only vs. lefties. But, still, batting leadoff?

139. JD says:

100 on the over for each please.

Go Bucs!

140. chethejet says:

Marte maybe Sunday. I hope he has been helped by the time off. AJ is not affordable for next year unless Wandy physically can’t come back and he is covered by insurance and the 5.5 million from the Astros. The key is Morton, if he can become a third starter allows for some flexibility. Cole, Francisco, Wandy if healthy, Morton and maybe Locke is not a bad rotation. I sign Bell if he can play 1st base as well. that eliminates Gabby who will want 3 million in arbitration. Morneau looks like a rental as he wants to go back to the Twins if he can.

141. Baywatch says:

Hey, I like Gaby. Just seems to me he hasn’t really gotten untracked. But, hey, maybe that’s because I’m waiting for him to hit more homers and several more off the wall. I’m probably not being realistic. Plus, when he’s started he’s usually hit behind Pedro when Pedro’s LOOKED bad, so I’m already miffed when Gaby gets up there!

142. Baywatch says:

Good, Jim. Consider yourself one of my dependent children! LOL!

143. Baywatch says:

I never really noticed those guys being hard on the Pirates. Then again, my favorite football color guy is Cris Collingsworth, and I hear from Steelers fans that say he’s always critical of the Steelers! I never noticed that, either.

144. stickyweb says:

I’ll take over 81.5 wins and between 38-44 wins. You’re the best, Playoffs.

145. Stuart says:

Playoffs, I’ll take 100 on the over for line one and 100 on the under for line 2.
    Thanks,

Stuart

146. stickyweb says:

Did somebody just watch Jurassic Park again? Cloning a velocorapter like Presley, c’mon man.

Apparently the AJ blowup was directed at Bob Pompeani. Interesting to see if the video makes it to the 6:00 news. If the exact same scene occurred in the Steelers room I think we know what would happen to that video.

David Manel, an adult that writes at Charlie’s site, has some great reporting on this. Check his twitter & Buc’s Dugout.

149. Wild Bill says:

Why so negative, Chuck?

150. toochca says:

AJ also tweeted:
    “Y’all need to figure it out! Clint Barmes is a F@#$ing gamer! Would never be pissed at a man that lays it all on the line day in and day out!

151. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window from rainy Colorado. Well tonight starts the all important 11 game home stand. In order to win the division a move has to be made now.

Line 1 – 50 on the UNDER

Line 2 – 50 on the OVER

Thanks and Go Bucs!

152. Karen22 says:

Interesting! Just last night Pompeani was defending AJ as “not a jerk,” and said he was just a fiery gamer who just wants to win. He wasn’t bothered by AJ’s latest antics, and also stated he’d never had a problem with him as an interviewee. Hmmmmm…

153. Karen22 says:

I saw that, too. All I have to say is that no one in my household thought AJ’s negative behavior on TV, directed at one of his teammates, was anything but pretty classless. It just looked bad.

Yes. That was about yesterday. This is a new tantrum that happened today.

155. bman says:

@playoffs

Line 1: 50 on the UNDER
    Line 2: 25 on the UNDER

Thanks!!!

156. toochca says:

Agreed Karen, I posted yesterday about observations of AJs attitude towards Mercer and was told I was Illisional.

For my next trick… Nothing up my sleeve..!!

157. Baywatch says:

And we score some runs!

158. toochca says:

Isn’t Sunday’s promotion Marte Mini Fat Heads?
    Hopefully the promo goes better than Marlon Byrd Replica Jersey day in NYC!!

“By the way, Burnett did not want to be interviewed for that story.” – Bob Pompeani. No kidding.

Guess the video wasn’t running when AJ told Bob he wasn’t talking. :) Channel 2 & Mr. Pomp have been known to sit on embarrassing Steeler video in the past.

JD ( and anyone’s else).

I’m here, but need to go in.

161. JD says:

Anyone at Atrias?

162. Barb says:

I just watched the KDKA sports segment w/Pompeani and he stated that Burnett declined to be interviewed regarding what happened yesterday. For what it’s worth!

Hey Frank, the guys in your PR department need a raise.

164. Dadtackular says:

line 1 100 on the under
    line 2 100 on the under

165. toochca says:

I find the fact that AJ didn’t want to be interviewed hard to believe!! :D

166. toochca says:

Enjoy the game!! Bring home the W!!

I think this is what Dejan was getting at this morning regarding the Spurrier matter.

168. Playoffs by 2012 says:

He didn’t want to be interviewed, but everyone there sure heard him loud and clear. this kills me. Pompeani, supposedly a reporter, was standing right in the middle of this and did not report it.

170. Brandie says:

Dear Mr. Playoffs,

I would like to have 50 on the under for line 1 and 100 on the over for line 2. Thank you.

Good evening everyone.

171. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The amazing Presleyraptor!

172. Listen to the General.

He is very wise!

173. Irish says:

100 on Line 1 Over (he looked hot last night…)
    100 on Line 2 Under (how do I know from far away???)
    Let’s Go Bucs!

174. Bob Hasis says:

Sir, you were perfectly correct about tantrums, you just had the wrong guy. Barmes has been the target all along for WEAK FIELDING and IMPROPER POSITIONING.

To my knowledge, AJ never had an issue with Mercer, which was the thrust of my entry to you

175. I’m with you, Milo!! Play Walker every day!

His glove is so consistent and he adds stability to the team on the field.

I hold my breath every time the ball goes near harrison. Maybe players do too.

176. War Horse says:

A list of the bloggers on this site who criticized last night’s Pirates’ lineup (without Cutch) or Hurdle before the game started in Texas yesterday:
    Milo Hamilton
    toocha
    Karen22
    florida steeler
    Jim S.
    AJS
    Jandy
    Bob Hasis
    Arriba Wilver

Such baseball wisdom! Such faith in the manager! Such optimism!
    Mrevo
    John Lease
    pattonbb
    Konstantin
    Nate83
    Scott
    cmat0829

Those who were positive:
    NMR
    gregenstein
    The Justice Avenger
    SteelAg 70
    Scott

177. Hasty Bob,

It must have ruined your day yesterday that Clint Barmes drove in 2 runs and hit a homer in a 2-run Pirate win.

Pirates would have probably won by 5 if Manager of the Year Clint Hurdle had been smart enough to start Jordy!

178. JD says:

Lets meet later. Pick an inning

179. Pucknutz says:

if I am not too late
    What the heck
    100 over on both

180. Wish I could be there to clap with everyone else at the ballpark! Let’s get um men!

181. Brandie says:

Good evening everyone. I hope those at the game have a wonderful time. Bring home the W!

182. Pucknutz says:

Locke aint thrown a pitch yet

And your point ?

184. Barb says:

Good evening Brandie!

185. toochca says:

Do you like a line up without Cutch?

186. JRay3 says:

Great welcome by the PNC crowd to recognize the team, even GREATER start to the game by Jeff Locke who may have been best pitcher in the St Louis series. Nice step forward he showed since being sent to Altoona.

Big thing to watch moving forward with him is command if he gets that back I think he can return to being highly effective.

187. Pucknutz says:

ditto

Hey you breath of fresh air you.

189. pattonbb says:

Only the cool people get on that list.

190. Brandie says:

Nice to talk to ya, Ms. Barb!

191. Barb says:

HBP Harrison. Way to start the game!

192. Brandie says:

Hugs to you, Mr. Milo.

193. Brandie says:

Easiest way to get on base. Go JHay Kid!

194. Brandie says:

Guess I’m not coll then. Darn! :-)

195. Barb says:

Absolutely.

This guy reminds me of Matt Ruebel.

197. pattonbb says:

Hey Brandie, You’re cooler than the other side of the pillow.

198. Barb says:

WTH?!?!? You know these umps suck big time.

199. toochca says:

++++

200. Brandie says:

The only man who could make a tracksuit look hawt!

201. pattonbb says:

sure would like to see a replay before I call the umpires horrible.

202. pattonbb says:

The umpires are horrible

Now you can.

204. Brandie says:

My other side of the pillow is like Billy Dee Williams / Barry White cool. :-) Good evening you two!

205. Barb says:

HAHHAHHAHA! +many :)

206. I sure wanted to be on a list, since I make so many of them.

Then again, I have been on a few.

Did they get their ovation?

This Junior Lake (that’s my Jon Gruden impression) will be the Cubs shortstop next Opening Day at PNC Park.

208. Brandie says:

Like trying to suck a strawberry through a straw…unbelievable.

209. Barb says:

Yes they did and its was magnificent.

I’ve been booed. And I gotta tell ya, I got a real kick out of it. :)

211. Barb says:

Or a McDonalds milkshake through a straw.

212. Brandie says:

Good Evening, Revvie. AKA Rev-olution!

213. Brandie says:

Either way it’ll cave your head in.

214. pattonbb says:

Byrd wasn’t jogging down the line there. He was digging.

I know it’s silly, but I love seeing that on routine ground balls.

215. Brandie says:

You are not the only one. I prefer hustle to lazy any day.

You think they will trade Castro or move him to another position ? (Pretend I’m asking in Jon Gruden’s John Wayne cadence).

“Wellington Castillo”

Fridays this fall on NBC.

I think they’ve about had it with him & they try to deal him. He’s due a bundle of money though. Signed through 2019.

A Quinn Martin Production.

220. Brandie says:

OMG…HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

221. Brandie says:

Written by Saul Turteltaub and Bernie Orenstein. In association with Norman Lear.

Tonight’s Episode: One finger down for fastball, two fingers down for…….MURDER!

223. pattonbb says:

Is it time to dig up that “Move Pedro to 1B” conversation, or is that horse still dead?

224. Lad 9 says:

Awesome line! And good evening Muppet. Back from my business trip to hell.

Pedro = Bobby Bonilla.

226. Brandie says:

I’m cryin’ here! LMAO!

227. Lad 9 says:

+21. I will always remember the Great Onerunning out a little nubber in the 71 series and forcing Mike Cuellar to rush his throw and pull Powell off the bag. And if memory serves, it led to runs

229. Brandie says:

Sponsored by Calgon, Kellogg’s, and Afro Sheen!

Bob Robertson’s 3 run homer. He missed/ignored the bunt sign.

231. Pucknutz says:

Nice catch

232. Patrick(ri) says:

Chalk one up for tall first basemen.

233. JRay3 says:

Locke doing his part four innings of one run ball. Hoping second time through the lineup produces some better results for Bucs bats.

234. Lad 9 says:

Great! Starring Michael Caine as Wellington and Ricardo Montalban as Castillo.

235. Brandie says:

Small ball can be the foundation of greatness.

BTW, Little Number sounds like an awesome nickname!

236. Brandie says:

Should be Little Nubber.

I can go to bed now. Kasper just invoked the name of Neal Heaton. I wasn’t sure I would ever hear that name uttered again.

238. Brandie says:

With Hippo as Tattoo!

Boss, The Plan! The Plan!

239. Steelag70 says:

Come on offense…let’s get it going…

M-V-P.

241. pattonbb says:

To my calibrated eye, that ball came off Cutch’s bat at 276 mph.

242. Barb says:

I take a phone call and all heck breaks loose!

243. Lad 9 says:

No comment. Not going there. :)

244. JRay3 says:

Double # 36 for Cutch who has ten game hitting streak and all of a sudden Bucs in business.

245. Steelag70 says:

I was at the game Tues night vs the Rangers and sitting in the RF stands…everything was a dart coming off of his bat. I loved yelling “M-V-P!”…

246. Brandie says:

Is Heaton one of those that shall not be named? If you say Neal Heaton three times,, do all of your pitchers become as effetive as Todd Van Poppel?

Shall we commence 50 consecutive posts about running, not running, on contact ?

You know, if you hit it out of the infield the contact play becomes moot.

249. Steelag70 says:

Way to get the run home JM…

250. Lad 9 says:

ROTFL!! Hippo would be crying!

251. Brandie says:

AND NOW,

AS THE BLOG TURNS!

252. Steelag70 says:

Saying that sarcastically of course…

253. pattonbb says:

awesome

254. Steelag70 says:

The Byrd is the word!!!!

255. pattonbb says:

frickin’ Nick Leyva……

256. Brandie says:

Good vibes to you Hippo. Did it for him because it’s been tough lately.

257. pattonbb says:

WGN announcers just mentioned Operation Shutdown.

258. Brandie says:

Sounds like you had a ball.

259. pattonbb says:

El Toro with the long single!

260. Steelag70 says:

Petey!!

261. Barb says:

Really?!?!?! They don’t have anything better to discuss.

262. JRay3 says:

Marlon Byrd’s 9th RBI as a Pirate ties it, and Alvarez belts RBI #90 and the Buccos take the lead.

And who says Pedro can’t hit lefties?

263. Steelag70 says:

Petey had some really good AB’s in the Rangers series…just going with the pitches and not trying to do too much…hopefully he is ready to break out again…

264. Brandie says:

Another that should not be named. He gave lazy, arrogant so and so’s a bad name.

265. Steelag70 says:

Petey had some good AB’s vs Perez the other night too…

266. Patrick(ri) says:

Byrd is Madlock 2013. Same kind of hitter. Dare I say “clutch?”

My roommate freshmen year in college was an Indians fan. That name took me back to my drunken eighties. Think I’ll flick my collar up and put A Ha on the turntable while putting “Weird Science” into the VCR.

268. Parrothead01 says:

I’m not interested in debating the run on contact , but I would really like to understand Clint’s thought process to bat a left handed hitter, that has 0 RBIs. Instead of playing Sanchez who hits lefties very well.

269. Steelag70 says:

Agreed…same body style too…

270. Brandie says:

BYRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

271. Steelag70 says:

Have to take care of business tonight….Cards have Kelly on the mound so probably no help from the Brewers…

272. irishjim says:

Martin makes the third out constantly. He also is batting like Barajas since the ASG.

273. JRay3 says:

In his last seven games, Pedro is 6-21, .285 with 3 doubles, 4 RBI’s.

That was very sweet.

I hope Angela says “yes” as well.

275. JRay3 says:

He has been hitting very well of late, you mention the Perez game and I’ll add he had the only big hit versus Darvish in the 1-0 win.

276. Pucknutz says:

A Ha – and I thought Drew was weird !!! LOL

277. Steelag70 says:

I smell another breakout for Petey coming….

278. Brandie says:

Does he come with bucket or beach seats, leather like interior, and a padded landau roof? It just sounds like a conversation about a car!

BTW Madlock was one of my favorites!

279. Steelag70 says:

Yep…and a great piece of hitting on that one too…just went with the pitch and stayed within his swing…

280. Steelag70 says:

Mighty 5 Mad Dog!!!

281. pattonbb says:

…..like the other side of the pillow, Brandie.

282. Barb says:

Just rollin’ right along. Keep it up Locke.

283. JRay3 says:

An important 1-2-3 shutdown inning from Locke to quickly fire a zero after gaining the lead. Pitching very sharp tonight.

284. pattonbb says:

And happy birthday to Grandma Hall, as well.

285. Patrick(ri) says:

hope he is due for an off night — he won’t have Molina tonight.

286. Brandie says:

May all your clothes be pastel colors. May your mullet be so awesome it needs its own transportation.

287. Kevin says:

Anyone see that jimmy johns commercial just now?? Tre risqué, no?

288. Steelag70 says:

This is the Locke I remember…lol. :D

289. Steelag70 says:

A shout out to my sister…she is at PNC tonight….

Todd Van Awful.

291. Steelag70 says:

True….we can only hope…

292. Brandie says:

Funky Cold Molina…Please drink responsibly.

293. pattonbb says:

Nice job by the big guy in yellow.

294. Brandie says:

Bring home the W, girlene!

295. Steelag70 says:

Too bad Farnsworth won’t be eligible for the post season roster…his veteran arm and experience would be a plus…

296. Patrick(ri) says:

Guy was about to break his neck and the fans are still looking for the ball.

Hey, Brandelita! What’s this about Lil Nubber????

298. Steelag70 says:

I just sent her a text challlenging her to do so…I told her I did my part vs the Rangers and now it’s her turn…lol.

299. Brandie says:

Who really thought Todd Van Poppel or Ed Sprague, or Jimmy Eat World Anderson were the answer to anything?

Who’s starting at QB for the Jets ?

301. Steelag70 says:

Cards down 1-0 in the 1st…

302. Brandie says:

BTW

Drew-quesne is weird.

303. Steelag70 says:

Smith…Sanchez is done for the season…

304. Barb says:

WVU’s Geno Smith!

305. Brandie says:

Challenge better be accepted or she will have to answer to me…not really! :-)

306. Brandie says:

Heh heh heh! Just baiting the Rad one. I am here to cause my special brand of trouble.

307. Steelag70 says:

It was awesome watching the Buccos play a meaningful game in Sept…last time I saw a Buccos game like that was 1990 vs the Astros in the Dome…

308. Steelag70 says:

Jeff is Locke-d in tonight… :D

What a play by Jordy!

310. Pucknutz says:

Nice throw!!!

311. Barb says:

Wouldn’t want it any other way! :)

My brother and I as kids used to play a game to pass time on roadtrips. We alternated teams and had to name the starting QB. I don’t think I could do that anymore. I was smarter as a kid and I didn’t even have the internet!

Once that was done-we moved to pitching rotations-much, much harder.

313. Steelag70 says:

My brother and I used to play games like that too!

314. Brandie says:

His mother named him that?

315. Brandie says:

Awesome all around.

Blass went to Paris, lookin’ for answers to questions that bothered him so.

317. Pucknutz says:

Jandy,You type way toooooo fast!!!!
    I put that in as fast as I could, and ya still beat me!!!
    Well….. the finger puppets held me up a bit !!!

318. Barb says:

Well he traveled to the City of Lights looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.

319. Brandie says:

You mean finger muppets?

LOL sorry Puckers!

Cutch looks well rested.

322. pattonbb says:

Oh my….

We love it! ;)
    I missed you…glad to see you this evening :)

324. Barb says:

CUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray Shero in the section next to me. You know I found that out!

He just left in left at the top of the 7th!!

And hockey guys are supposed to be tough

326. JRay3 says:

Just another highlight reel catch by Cutch, nothing to see here.

I do believe Cutch shaved his goatee when he hit the turf

328. Bob Hasis says:

Groat, you continually get me wrong. I root for everything and everyone about the Pirates, but maybe with a more critical or analytical eye.

Somewhere you became disjointed into thinking that .220 is the same as .280.

BTW, that play Mercer made in the top of the sixth is a play Barmie can’t. Even if Barmie could have gotten to the ball, his weak arm would never have allowed him to attempt the throw.

He would have simply held it and stared at it

He has an appointment to make a trade with Niskanen ;)

J-E-T-S

Stink! Stink! Stink!

331. Pucknutz says:

Depends on how many Drews medication I have had!!!
    By the way as I slowly type. Nice catch Cutch.

332. pattonbb says:

……But he don’t care what most people say.

333. Steelag70 says:

2-0 Brewers now, top 2nd…

334. Steelag70 says:

LOL

335. Brandie says:

Had to take up my part. Even got a Hippo reference earlier. Great to see you too Jandelita.

336. JRay3 says:

Jeff Locke turns in a key seven inning performance on 100 pitches and leaves a game in the second half of the season in line for elusive victory #10. Great effort by him tonight.

337. Brandie says:

Flashin’ the Leather!

Sounds kinky!

Poor hipposter is having some tough times. I have the key to the Pond. Everyone has to help me keep it safe and clean :)

WGN was just talking about people talking about mathematical possibility of not having winning season after 81 wins. “Fatalistic” was the adjective used.

I had to chuckle Deshaies must read the blog too!

340. Pucknutz says:

Ditto

341. Steelag70 says:

Amen,,,well needed for the Buccos and his confidence. :)

I rest my case from this morning on Locke being capable of pitching a good game

I knew there had to be one of you out there ! :)

344. Barb says:

It’s okay to be hinky and kinky!

345. Brandie says:

J-E-T-S

MESS! MESS! MESS!

Jumbo Egos That Suck!

346. pattonbb says:

I wear my puca shells under my shirt.

He’s soft. He is going to bed early.

He’ll probably have nightmares of more pucks going past MAF …even in practice!

348. Steelag70 says:

Rex Ryan loves putting his foot in his mouth…oh wait…it’s MRS. Ryan’s foot he prefers…

LOL like today? First three shots on goal…in they went!

So, did some of you guys hook up before the game? Hopefully ya did :)

People forget, even James McDonald pitched 7 shutout innings against St. Louis in late August last year after his epic meltdown.

352. Parrothead01 says:

Martin has become a bigger automatic out than Jones. He is really on a negative roll.

ZING!!!

354. Steelag70 says:

Maybe so, but he gets paid mostly for his defensive skills and how he calls a game…

No. My wife was with me so no booking up for me.
    Plus we’re not those kind of guys. :-)

Milo, please don’t jinx Jeff like that!

precisely!

358. Brandie says:

Sounds like something you’d watch in a darkened theater on Liberty Avenue back in the day.

359. Steelag70 says:

Love watching Watson sling it…I would love to see him get a chance to close some day…

really? She went with you? How nice!
    I HOPE you’re not that kind of guys…sheesh :P

361. JRay3 says:

Just the 16th consecutive appearance for Tony Watson without allowing a run. He is a holds machine coming in from the pen.

362. Steelag70 says:

I read that when he has caught this year, the staff ERA is 3.19…he is tops in the NL in throwing out runners, and second amongst catchers in fielding %….I will take that over his offensive struggles…

363. Brandie says:

One cannot be all things to all people at all tmes. When one part of the game goes south, you better have another part or way to contribute.

364. JRay3 says:

And add to that the fact he has thrown out 42% of base runners attempting to steal well above league average and I would say he is ok.

He sure is an unsung hero

366. Parrothead01 says:

Maybe so, but it would still be nice if he occasionly got a hit. I hope he can get straightened out before the playoffs. Buck is not an option. Opposing team averaging 7 runs a game when he catches.

367. Barb says:

Kill joy…man o man!

Oh no. Let’s hope he’s back.

369. Brandie says:

Just call him the Gambler…knows when to hold ‘em.

370. Lad 9 says:

Used to play the alphabet game during long boring sermons (sorry Lucky). Name a player and the next players name had to begin with the last letter of the first one and so one. Once sat through a 28 minute sermon at my son’s confirmation. Shudder.

371. Bob Hasis says:

Two things; some people think Pedro is a “bad” defensive player, and rave about Barmes. Why?

Some people are now looking somewhat differently at AJ because of the recent confrontation with “a SS”, but have totally overlooked the very positive influence he has been to Locke, as a mentor if not more.

Locke has matured with great confidence right in front of us, perhaps due directly to the guidance of AJ

373. Steelag70 says:

He gets clutch hits for us…4 walkoff winners this year…take him over Barajas any day!!

Elementary, my dear Watson :)

375. Steelag70 says:

Good post Bob…well said…

376. Barb says:

I see most of the team have started their playoff beards. Oh wait a minute wrong sport. :)

377. Steelag70 says:

Watson is a beast…loved watching him blow away Baker the other night in the 8th…high cheese!

378. Brandie says:

Nice points Mr. Hasis.

You are spot on about AJ mentoring Jeff, Mr. Hasis. And AJ is full of passion and fire. But when he over rides his managers, it’s time to let him know about it.

380. JRay3 says:

I am fine with AJ, he is who he is and has been the two years in Pittsburgh and the majority of his career. Asking him to change his approach now good luck, it would be like asking Ndamukong Suh to go a full season in the NFL without getting fined, not happening.

AJ has meant an awful lot to this club and brought with him a winning and fighting mentality this team so desperately needed.

381. Steelag70 says:

Marte…ugghhh…

382. Lad 9 says:

Good vibes to the Hippo. Knew something was up. Hope everything works out. Such a good guy.

383. Pucknutz says:

Relax people, this ones in the bag….
    I got five finger puppets shaking the “Green Weenie” at em!
    Don’t ask how they are holding the weenie and who they are but old liver lip is one of em.
    I really hope this permanent marker washes off!

384. Steelag70 says:

I agree JRay…LOVE that attitude….and CH knows when to rein him in…

Even more amazing considering he wasn’t right in spring training. His arm was bothering him to the point that they pulled him from spring games & sent him to Pirate City for about 3 weeks. First time I saw him pitch this year in Pittsburgh, he was only (he says only) hitting 90 – 91 on the gun. That’s all in the past now. Getting stronger as the season goes on.

Oh I’ll take him as he is, just sayin, it’s not wrong to criticize his antics, but like Petey is Petey, AJ is AJ :)

387. Steelag70 says:

Tyler Thornburg throwing a gem so far vs the Cards tonight…

Puckers, you had waaayy too much to drink ;)

389. Lad 9 says:

Baiting me eh? I did not rise to that one at least miss Brandicita! :)

390. Brandie says:

Feelin’ my head cave in!

391. Steelag70 says:

I’ve started mine! ;)

Barmes!!!!!

Jordy!!!!

394. twentytwo22 says:

That closeup of Barmes running between 2nd and 3rd.. I didn’t think he was going to make it.

395. Patrick(ri) says:

Starting to like this Mercer kid.

Apparently the Cubs outfield didn’t get the memo on the “shift”

397. Steelag70 says:

I know Barmes gets ragged on, but he has done a nice job the secong half…handling the SS situation with Jordy very well…a true professional…

The terrible Leyva waves home the terrible Barmes, who scores the third run

399. Brandie says:

The Force is strong in this one!

400. Steelag70 says:

Jordy is on fire!!

401. Barb says:

They forgot to “down” shift?

402. Steelag70 says:

Barmes loves him some foul pole too…haha..

403. Lad 9 says:

Will take AJ every day of the week and twice on Sunday. CH a very smart man to not get hung up on what ultimately is the little stuff.

404. Pucknutz says:

Double ditto!!!!
    But as I type this they score another run.
    If this works out I may get em tattooed n my fingers !!
    Yeah right!

Yes, he is!

406. Brandie says:

When did Eeyore start calling ballgames?

No, shift in the field…positionally, to cover whoever is batting…
    it’s a discussion from the morning thread ;)

Lee Grosscup ?

409. Brandie says:

LOL…How very Greg Brady of you!

410. JRay3 says:

true professional indeed and I always remember something Neil Walker said when describing Barmes, the best teammate you could have, can’t undervalue the power of that.

411. Steelag70 says:

Let’s go flyin’ Byrd Man….

412. twentytwo22 says:

8 pitchers in the 8th

413. Bob Hasis says:

Nah it wasn’t that dynamic. Jordy drove it to the wall. Easy call, but I admit Leyva has a stylistic wave – unfortunately our guys are usually out, when that happens

414. Steelag70 says:

Wooo hoooo…Kelly getting touched up tonight by the Brew Crew…4-0, top 4th now!

415. Lad 9 says:

Do or do not. There is no try

416. Brandie says:

Sounds like the name of a dentist!

417. Barb says:

418. Bob Hasis says:

QB from Utah, failed with the NY Giants

Apparently the Cubs don’t realize they are 23 games out of first place

woop woop!

421. Steelag70 says:

LOL…or a golfer….

Or the inventor of the shovel pass.

I remember him doing college games with Al Michaels.

Don’t nobody tell them! ;)

425. JRay3 says:

Great chance to pull even and make this a 16 game sprint to a division crown.

Come on Great White Shark, shut them down!!!

427. Lad 9 says:

Cupper!

428. Steelag70 says:

Ok Shark….time to swarm!!

C’mon Great White Shark….shut them down!!!!!!!

430. Bob Hasis says:

Maybe his only claim to fame, other than being a #1 draft pick

431. Steelag70 says:

As Cutch is so important to us, you just can’t say enough about the importance of Molina to the Cards…him not being in there tonight is making a difference…

432. Steelag70 says:

Crap…

433. Bob Hasis says:

Range, Range, who said anything about range?

434. Lad 9 says:

Ok let’s roll a pair here Buccos

435. Steelag70 says:

Ruh-roh…c’mon Shark!

Huge out…now we could use a DP!

Team Sabr bunting ? Ha.

438. Lad 9 says:

Milo, the floor is yours on bunting….

439. Steelag70 says:

Ok…two more!!

440. Patrick(ri) says:

And the bunt bites another team.

441. Bob Hasis says:

Why did you fail to mention who produced it?

442. Lad 9 says:

Too quick for me

one more out please!

444. Steelag70 says:

Wooo hoooo…one more now Shark man…

445. Brandie says:

Oh The Drew-Manity!

447. JRay3 says:

Behind seven innings of three hit ball turned in by Jeff Locke who becomes a 10 game winner, and RBI’s from Byrd, Alvarez and Mercer combined with a Watson hold and a 14th save from Mark Melancon the Bucs sink the Cubs 3-1 in the opener of this four game set and there was nooooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Bucs are 85-61 and just a 1/2 game behind the Cards pending their outcome with Milwaukee. The Pirates remain 8 games up for a playoff spot with 16 to go. The Pirates are now winners of four straight, 47-25 at PNC and 6-5 in September.

The Pirates will look to make it five straight wins tomorrow night with Charlie Morton slated to make the start.

Let’s GO Bucs!

448. Pucknutz says:

We had em all the way!

449. Steelag70 says:

Raise it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raise the jolly Hippo!

451. Barb says:

Raise it, raise the Jolly Roger!

452. Steelag70 says:

Let’s hope the Brew Crew can hold on…still up 4-0, bottom 4th…

453. Wild Bill says:

85 and counting and go Brewers!

454. Brandie says:

That one is definitely for you, Hippo!

455. Lad 9 says:

Hoist the colours!

Everyone that had 85 in the pool, you’re gonna lose !

457. Lad 9 says:

+ a hippo sized good vibe.

Dear Clint:

Please forgive me for laughing at you when you predicted 95 wins.

Thanks.

459. Brandie says:

Ah…Abe ViYoda!

damm right!

who cares? :D

462. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

463. Lad 9 says:

Wish I could remember what I picked but I know I went high

Indeed.

465. John Lease says:

7 IP 1 ER!

Win #10, at last. Welcome back Jeff Locke.

466. John Lease says:

Well, his 0fer today didn’t help his tiny sample size numbers against lefties any…

467. Wild Bill says:

Great to see Jeff Locke looking good again.

468. toochca says:

Bob,

Just for the record…
    I’m fine with Barmes or Mercer. Do think Barmes has a better glove and Mercer the better bat.

469. John Lease says:

You must be mistaken, only Barmes makes great plays…

Good night Loonies!

Best part of the night.

472. John Lease says:

If the manager is John Russell, over ride him, please.

473. pattonbb says:

It feels so good to be feelin’ good again!

474. Lad 9 says:

You were at the absolute top of your game today Brandella. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed it. I salute you and dub thee Blog Princess!

475. Wild Bill says:

No snoring, Jandy.

476. Lad 9 says:

Night Jandy. Always a pleasure!

Fun night on the blog. You guys are a joy to watch the game with!

478. Lad 9 says:

Right back at ya Johny Wisconsin. Enjoy your stuff immensely.

479. Wild Bill says:

Send a good vibe to the Brewers this week, John.

480. Brandie says:

Tell Mrs. Rad Lad and the whole Lad Crew good night. It’s been a blast!

481. Brandie says:

(mumbles) passion.

482. twentytwo22 says:

Double digit wins for Locke. Burnett, Cole, and Morton have a chance.

483. Brandie says:

Good time on the old blog tonight! Good night all!

484. Barb says:

Right back at ya sister. See you all on the flipside.

485. Wild Bill says:

And Liriano with an outside chance at twenty, Double Deuce.

486. Wild Bill says:

Night-night, Brandie.

487. twentytwo22 says:

The Pirates are due for some breakout offensive wins, but I like that they have shown they can win low scoring games with Cole and Locke. Those wins require concentration and confidence. When you add those to a stretch when the offense does produce that is what a hot streak is. Good stuff right now.

488. Bob Hasis says:

Absolutely not. There is a miniscule difference in their defensive skills – and Mercer has the better arm and far more quickness and range.
    Barmes makes the plays he is supposed to make, and very little else.

Offensively I’ll let you tell me

489. twentytwo22 says:

2 unbelievable games between the Yankees and Orioles.

490. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Nate,

You did not place a wager on the overall wins line at the start of the season.
    You took 45+ Wins in 2nd half of the season.

491. twentytwo22 says:

Soriano robbed a guy of a homerun. John Sterling pulled a Tim Neverett on the play. Later in the inning, a game tying 3 run homerun with 2 outs.

492. tdb1977 says:

What a GAME! I offically have no voice to go to work tomorrow morning. It was loud and very energic at the park tonight. The fans were in from the time the Bucs took the field tonight with a standing ovation. Locke was outstanding going 7 tonight. The double play was a BS call. The catch by McCuthen was MVP worthy. After the catch, I was proud to have gotten the MVP chant going in my section. As soon as the catch was made, I was belting M-V-P and the others in my section soon started. When Dale made the pitching change when Barmes came up to the plate, we were like, is he really using a different pitcher for Clint. Clint didn’t leave us with an 0’fer with the double. Then when he made the next change to go up against Byrd, the folks in my section around me discussed, why not bring Walker in and have him hit left handed. Can always put Jones or Snider in to play right at that point. But, Clint did think the same way we did. No matter, it was a great game. The atomsphere felt like a playoff game. If this is how this home stand is going to go, man, its going to be a lot of fun. I can’t wait to go back on Monday for our next game against the Padres.

493. tdb1977 says:

TIED FOR FIRST PLACE!! 16 to play. Buckle up, this is going to be fun!!!

Sorry, JD, my phone died. When I said I was “here,” I meant Atria’s bar, where I thought we were supposed to meet. Next time, hopefully. Great game. Disappointing reception at the beginning, but maybe that was a good thing. Locke’s outing was certainly a positive, and the crowd gave him and the team the ovation they deserved when he was walking off after his final inning. I was on my feet.

495. Baywatch says:

Woo-Hoo, I’m buckled tdb! Thanks for the report on the game! I just got home from delivering the pizza pie, and the first thing I did was watch Cutch’s catch – then the “MVP” chant from your section … INSPIRING!

You need to get your facts right, smart guy.

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

But if it makes you feel good about yourself to make s#*t up, have a good time.

And, what Milo said.

DB.

497. cmat0829 says:

Seems to me the Cubs announcers have like what, almost 70 years of comedy to talk about? didn’t listen to the broadcast just hope it wasn’t snarky like that a-hole Steve Stone and how condescending he was about the Pirates and their fans all through the ’90s.

498. cmat0829 says:

Pedro has like 28 errors, most of them on routine throws. How many errors does Barmes have? I am not about to say Barmes is best fielder in the league or anything but he is a little bit better than Mercer in the field and is above average, which is way way better than the bucs have had for a while (and no, DK, I’m not disrespecting Jumpin’ Jack).

As to AJ, it is quite ok in my opinion to praise him for his toughness, for mentoring others, for embracing playing for the Pirates since he got here…but to rightfully jump all over him when he acts like a spoiled brat and disrespects the coaching staff as he has a few times this season. He ‘hates the shift’ apparently…. even when (1) it isn’t actually being used and (2) it has resulted in quite a few plays being made for him that wouldn’t have been, but he has a short memory.

He is old enough to know better… his behavior is not a good example for his mentees. I love AJ for all he has done that is good for the Bucs, but these latest antics are flat out wrong and I will not STFD on the topic.

DK: In Wilson’s final season with the Pirates — including the completed time with Seattle — the Bill James Fielding Bible named him, based on a broad array of scouting and advanced statistics, the best defensive shortstop in baseball.

Barmes absolutely has been the best since then. Mercer also has been good, certainly better than I’d heard he would be coming up.

499. War Horse says:

I may not be as smart as some of you who like to see yourselves in online print every day, whether you have something interesting to say or not, but I am definitely not a Wise Guy like you, AW. I do have an idea what I’m talking about and one of the things is that so many of you are ready to criticize anything the management does, especially NH and CH, that doesn’t feel right to you. Letting Cutch and Morneau have a day off, for example. Every smart general since Agamemnon knows you try to send your troops into battle as well-rested as possible. Hurdle and his staff know that, because it was a mistake they made last year and the team fell apart because of it. But you and your gut-feeling friends here think you know better. Guess what? You don’t. And you get all puffed up with outrage when someone from outside your tight little circle points that out. Give it a rest, AW. Enjoy the pennant race. Save your efforts at gangster style intimidation for your wife and kids.

500. JaxBuc says:

Except for the smile and the “aw shucks” demeanor that Bonilla displayed.