Sunday column: Biggest game in city all year

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

The Sunday column looks ahead to the biggest game in the city all year, at least in this one view. It’s hard for me to top anything that could turn the region’s signature franchise topsy-turvy.

Here’s what LaMarr Woodley had to say about leaders stepping up …

Here’s our full Steelers coverage, including previews by Alan Robinson, Mark Kaboly and Ralph Paulk.

Here’s the latest on the Bears from the Chicago Tribune.

Here are official game highlights from NFL.com.

Here’s Ken Laird and Guy Junker of TribLIVE Radio sharing their thoughts …

Also, tonight after football, WPXI-TV’s Subway Final Word will be loaded with football, baseball and more. I won’t be on — deadline work at Heinz Field — but that only upgrades the cast with actual TV people!

Comments

Is the link working correctly? Because before I call you crazy for thinking that tomorrow’s Steelers game is the biggest game in the city all year, I think I should read it first. Using my phone, the link goes to your column on T Watson.

DK: I’ll fix the link, TC. Thanks!

2. Ghost says:

Yeah, I got “The Glue” column, too.

Which is fine, because the Pirates are what I really want to talk about. This has *never* been like this for me in any September past…

A.J. was just what the doctor ordered. If Cutch is the heart of the Bucs, A.J. brings the soul.

DK: The link is fixed.

3. Ghost says:

Got it — Go Black & Gold!!!

4. Ghost says:

See what you meant about the Steelers-Bears game being the most momentous one this year. If a loss tonight does precipitate such a slide that a major shakeup in Steeler-land comes to pass, the moment of tonight’s game just may be the greatest of the year. My sense is that the Steelers will slosh around this year — ending with something between seven and nine wins — and, for now, the Rooneys will stand pat. Meanwhile, should the Pirates go deep into October and this be the beginning of a an era of competitive Pittsburgh baseball, no telling how momentous a Pirates game still to be played at PNC this year may turn out to be. For both the Pirates’ and Steelers’ sake, let’s hope tonight’s football game is NOT the most momentous one.

5. MrB says:

I’m sorry, I just can’t consume the kool-aid that you have OD’d on while writing this column.

The club across the street could have stumbled into Epic Collapse III last night after that last game of 92 Deja vu performance friday night. Instead they collectively STFU’d and pitched, fielded and hit effectively. It very well may have been the best win on the heels of the worst loss of the season to date. If they get to host an elimination wild card game in a couple of weeks, that will be the biggest, most momentous game played in Pittsburgh all year.

Yes, the Bears game is important and I believe the Steelers will prevail. Despite the historical stats cited in your column, I do not believe the season is over at 0-3. By the way, why did you stop your statistical analysis at 1990? If they go 0-3, you ASSume that they lose to the Jets and Browns at the end of the year?

That must be some electrifying kool-aid dude.

If at the end of this season ownership makes changes, fine. As you cited, this has happened twice before. The results of those changes turned out well. The insane thing by definition would be to do nothing and anticipate a different outcome.

This submission is why I still find you at times to be an immature columnist. You tend to sensationalize far too easily. You’re an excellent human interest writer and those columns are by far your best work. However, you can try to dress up a pig of an opinionated column all you want, but in the end it’s still oinking.

DK: I’m glad you like a certain type of column that I write, Mr. B. Thank you.

I’m beyond puzzled at how a topic like this could be viewed as sensationalistic, given what we’ve already seen from this football team and given that the context of the rarity of their major shakeups — which you avoid there — is TWO in a 40-year span.

Moreover, the view expressed regarding 0-3 is that it will start a snowball rolling. That’s stated pretty clearly. Therefore, all bets are off after this, per this view, even lousy opponents like the Jets and Browns.

But then, you’re smart enough to know all this. So what REALLY bugged you about it?

Because I can send back to you a pretty healthy sampling of reader reaction that found it to be pretty strong and substantive.

6. radio wave says:

It’s a baseball day at our house. Going to PNC Park, then Sunday night baseball on the tube. I would be interested in Drew’s, Oskosh, and Lucky’s opinions of a run up the score college football Saturday.

7. Vette60 says:

Morning All.

Son woke up and woke up the dog…so an early start to my Sunday…to kick things off, man that Pitt game yesterday was a wild affair. Living hear in ACC country, think I will get many more Pitt games on the tube. Turned around and it was 58-55! Geez.

Hmm…biggest game in City all year? Perhaps its the biggest for the Steelers, but don’t know if it eclipsed what happened up the river at the ball yard. Especially given the fact that games of such magnitude haven’t occurred in 20 years. Yes, a loss could bring changes within the Steelers organization of fairly large scale as they are not ones apt to change.

I think we really need to face the fact that our beloved Steelers aren’t as good as we thought and accept them for what they are, a middle of the road NFL team at this point. Will bringing back Heath help? Certainly wiil. Will it cure all that ails them? Don’t think so.

Hey, I am will be rooting for a win tonight for sure.

On other topics. Man, I really hope that Vokoun is ok from a health standpoint, especially given his history with blood clots. Really tough news to hear at the start of the season, especially since from what has been reported MAF hasn’t exactly looked sharp thus far and isn’t exactly getting ringing endorsements from management…

One more thing, know of anyone doing the sports double dip? Would be a blast to catch the Bucs in the afternoon and head over to catch the Steelers in the evening with a bit of tailgating in between!

Have a good Sunday all!

Randy in RVA.

8. Tom P. says:

With 7 games left, the Pirates magic number to clinch the second wild card spot is 3 (vs. Nationals), to host the wild card game is 7 (vs. Reds), and to win the division is 10 (vs. Cardinals).

In case you missed it, the Marlins-Nationals game was rained out last night, so they will play two games today, one at 1:35 and the other at 7:05. The Cardinals-Brewers game is on ESPN at 8:05.

9. Nate83 says:

Hmmm…..There is something else on tonight around that time. I just can’t remember…..it seems important but I just can’t seem to remember.

10. hockeymonster says:

I missed the pens 4th goal against yesterday…can someone let me know what happened on the play? :)

DK: Ugh. Sorry. Too many plates on too many sticks!

11. hockeymonster says:

Quote from Reirden in Rossi’s column about dzone coverage was nothing short of infuriating. However cant say it was shocking based on the last few playoff exits. Anyway here’s the roster i liked a few days ago but like even more now.

kuntiz-crosby-dupuis
    Bennett-malkin-neal
    Jeffrey-sutter-d’agastini
    zolnerciek-vitale-adams
    extras: jokinen and kobasew

Piece-letang
    orpik-niskannen
    despres-bortuzzo
    dumoulin

Im sure you guys can figure out who that leaves out just not sure what moves are available to shero. But looks like we’re gonna need to make some sort of move. Don’t think we can move vokoun off the cap till he misses 10 games. Either way just based on on-ice ability and not contractual status this is the roster we should go with.

Jokinen looks like he wants some ice time so i’d consider moving Jeffrey down to 4th line center for those games, essentially putting vitale back into competition with Jeffrey. Or you could move Bennett down into d’agastini’s spot.

Needless to say fleury is gonna need all the dzone help he can get. Hope the pens finally learned from their mistakes, even if that means playing the old fashioned trap every now and then and insulating the defense so they and fleury don’t have to face so many high speed jail breaks.

12. Not thrilled with no defense in college football RW. And I despise running up the score on anyone at any level.

Those games in the 70′s are criminal, even if it is my beloved Buckeyes. I’d rather see an open date than a game like that, even if the third team started the second half. Could have started the second quarter.

13. tdb1977 says:

In my house as well RW. Actually getting ready to head down to the ball park as the wife and I will ride the bus into the city. After the game, will make our way home and depending on the results of game 1 of the Marlins/Nationals game – could be glued to watching the results of game 2. If the Bucs win and the Marlins get the sweep today – the Bucs are into playoffs. Really would like to see a drop em, stop em, beat the hell out of em Pirates game.

Got our WC game tickets yesterday in the mail. Not sure if anyone else got theres. If so, whats the date printed on yours? Ours says Wednesday, October 1. Checked the calendar and shook my head. The wrong date printed on them.

I was at Camp Randall yesterday, rw. I thought the Badgers looked pretty good. Should be undefeated but, oh well.

I DVR’d the Pitt game. Will probably take a look at some of it later today. Sounds like an entertaining game.

I was kinda hoping Utah State would have beaten USC. I would like to see Lane Kiffin out as head coach in LA. I have always liked the Bruins. Don’t know why-probably goes back to Wooden. Therefore, any troubles at USC-I tend to enjoy.

Huge game next Saturday night in Columbus. I would love to see Wisconsin hang the first loss on Urban as head coach of the Buckeyes. Sorry, Lucky.

15. Nate83 says:

Nice column DK. It really is an important game. The Division is down this year and it won’t take much to win it but you have crawl before you walk. Losing a second game at home tonight would be bad and most likely effect this teams moral the rest of the year. A third loss makes it feel like a hill impossible to climb. A win could make them feel like man those first two games were winnable if we just don’t turn the ball over. We are capable of being a playoff team.

7 losing seasons in 41 years is truly amazing. Especially in the NFL. We really have been spoiled and blessed as fans.

DK: I found some other numbers along the way in doing research for this piece that was just completely mindnumbing in terms of their sustained success.

One of pro sports’ truly great franchises.

16. Joni says:

You would put Dustin Jeffrey on the 3rd line, after what Jokinen did last night with Malkin and Neal? I think that Jussi should at least be a permanent fixture in the lineup.

That Zolnierczyk hit/landing was super scary. I do not know how wise it was for Mr. Z. to come back on the ice. How can you not at least tweak something after landing like that? Yes, I know he is playing for a spot on the team, but safety first (says a person who has never played competitive sports at the elite level).

I hope that Vokoun recovers as soon as possible from his procedure, and not just because the Pens need his help, big time. Josh Yohe got a quote from Shero about Fleury’s off-ice work so far, wherein Shero said that Flower is “a work in progress”. You got that right!

DK: That was pretty powerfully glib, huh?

17. Nate83 says:

Work in progress not a good thing for a guy going into I think his 6th year in the league. He’s not a classic style goaltender he is mostly instinct and athletic ability. That more then likely was going to regress at an earlier age then traditional goaltenders.

If his head isn’t right then he won’t trust those instinct’s. We are talking about hundreths of second making the difference. He has to trust himself. There can be no doubt or the puck is in the net behind him.

18. Karen22 says:

As bad as the Steelers have looked, they’re STILL the Steelers. They’re NOT the Browns (my former beloved home team). Therefore, there’s ALWAYS hope.

But my heart this day is with the Pirates. Incredibly resilient bunch to come back yesterday after a shot to the heart Friday night. If they can take the series…just WOW!!

Let’s go PITTSBURGH!!

19. Pucknutz says:

+++++++++++++

20. macchamp74 says:

Not biggest game by a long shot for me. Bucco game more important.
    Steelers are not going to be relevant this year. It happens. No big deal, they will strap it up again next year.

21. hockeymonster says:

I don’t expect jokinen to be that open during the season that often…he did play well and finish which is why i said he deserves a shot early on. But it should be in place of vitale not Jeffrey was really my point.

22. No problem, John. I almost feel the same as you after that debacle yesterday. Can’t stand that.

Might be hard-pressed though, with 2 QB’s like they have.

If you ignore all that is going on with the baseball team, here is why today’s Steeler game is still FAR from being the biggest game in the city this year.

The Steelers were 8-8 last season. We’ve watched them during the preseason. We’ve watched them for the first 2 games of the regular season. Many of us know they are not going to be a very good team this year. Whether they win or lose today is most likely still won’t make a difference of how their season will end up.

And of course, why would you ignore what is happening with the baseball team. :-)

24. Skip says:

Geez dude – do you have to make it personal?

DK: First refuge when lacking an actual argument. It’s fine. Happens only all the time. :)

25. Joni says:

I hear ya. I was just struck by the chemistry of Malkin and Neal playing with Jokinen last night. Both Neal and Malkin shared the puck with Jokinen, which I my opinion doesn’t always happen when those two play with different linemates. I am glad to see that Malkin and Neal share the puck with Beau Bennett, as well.
    Perhaps Malkin and Neal are getting over themselves after not being able to play with Kunitz last year. At least that is my hope.
    For the record, I take nothing away from Geno and James’ performance last season. I just thought they had some on-ice diva moments early on last season in regards to who they played alongside.

Let’s go, Pens! Mine is a love that dare not speak its name here in Buffalo, NY. So I’ll say it again, Let’s go, Pens!

26. Stuart says:

So I’m a beat writer for the Pirates, covering a team that has had 15+ losing seasons. I leave to be a general sports columnist, finding on the way that my fan base continues to be mainly interested in the Pirates (those losers). Then I begin to see the value of concentrating on one sport. What is the most popular sport in the City? Football of course, and the Steelers in particular. Then, what appeared to be a lock-down positive career choice starts to look like a death-wish.

Not to worry, the Pirates (now lovable) will be waiting patiently. Their fans never tire of hearing about them.

Just sayin.

Stuart

DK: Career ‘death wish’ = quadruple the number of daily average readers compared to any point in my life anywhere?

Good Lord, how myopic, Stu.

If you really think the tone/makeup of blog comments here or anywhere represent anything close to reality, that’ll be as nutty as anything I’ve ever read here.

Moreover, if you really think that a team’s success level has ANYTHING to do with our business, you don’t know the business. The FACT of the matter — as anyone on this end can attest — is that more people are more deeply invested in media coverage of their (not numbers but intensity) when things aren’t going well. They demand answers, and they now they can’t get them from team-sponsored sources. There also are fewer people covering that team, so the personal visibility is higher.

Once things get good, you’re just another face/voice in the crowd.

Other than that, though, hey, you nailed it!

27. Scott says:

The column is right-on. A loss tonight destroys the season for the Steelers. No single game could do that to the Pirates. The Bucs could’ve been swept by the Reds and it wouldn’t matter – they’re still going to make the playoffs. So to call any one Pirate game “momentous” is a massive overstatement – which is ironic, coming from someone who accuses the columnist of sensationalizing.

Way to reinforce the stereotype of the thin-skinned Pirates fan, though.

DK: Your case here, Scott, was made much better than the one I just made above to Mr. B myself.

28. At least a Steelers’ win would would at least briefly be a curative for all the suffering us fans have been undergoing since last season’s disappointing finish. And as for the Pirates, well, this is their first contending season in 20 years and one can only hope this trend will continue in the future.

29. JRay3 says:

If a cities biggest sporting event all year is a third week regular season football game with their team being 0-2, I’d say the city has had a lot of tough luck and misery during the course of the year.

Signature team or not, Sunday Night’s football game hardly qualifies as biggest game of year in that region no matter tv ratings, attendance or otherwise.

My family in Carlisle, PA will be watching Steeler game as they are Steeler fanatics but not before first being glued to Pirate game and they were not even marginal baseball fans before this magical season. They now too know what is at stake in final regular season game at PNC and want Pirates to earn a home field game of some sort.

They also realise the Steelers are just a bad football team.

‘The Bucs could’ve been swept by the Reds and it wouldn’t matter – they’re still going to make the playoffs.’

Really?

I guess thin-skinned Pirate fans don’t have the same crystal ball.

And a single game can destroy a football season (third game of the year) but a single game (only seven left) can’t destroy the Pirate season. Interesting.

31. Nate83 says:

We are creatures of habits. Football is an event every week, win or lose, we get with friends or go to the local sports bar and watch the game. It’s like clockwork. It happens at least 16 times a year and it’s only 3 hours a week. We know that during that time we can get away and relax even if it’s a stressful relaxing.

The ratings are always going to be high. Ratings should be confused with importance. I definately will be on the edge of seat a considerable amount more during the the first Pirate playoff game this year then I am for tonights Steelers game.

For what it’s worth I don’t think DK was equating ratings to importance in this case. I think he was looking at it purely from a shaping sports in Pittsburgh over the years ahead standpoint. If tonight truly does lead to changes at the end of the year for the Steelers it definately could effect people that are fans of all Pittsburgh teams more then any other sporting event this year. Not in the context of today but over the next 2,3,4….10 years.

DK: Nicely done, Nate.

If the Bengals lose to the Packers. Highly possible.
    If the Ravens lose to the Texans. Highly possible.
    If the Brownnies lose to the Vikings. Highly possible.

Even if the Steelers then lose to the Bears, the Steelers will remain 1 game out of first place.

Parity in the NFL means lots of mediocre teams and plenty of opportunities to win a division and make the playoffs. The third game of a regular season in the mediocre NFL is hardly a big game.

DK: In a vacuum, sure. My point — and again, this is in the piece — is that I feel the Steelers are a team on the cusp of imploding with another loss. You’re seeing peripheral signs of it already. Football teams that implode early tend to snowball pretty badly.

33. Nate83 says:

That’s a little tough, Stuart. DK has mentioned numerous times his current role as a columnist is his dream role and he wouldn’t trade it for the world. I don’t even for a second believe he is jealous of what the Pirates are doing now. He has said it is never about the winning but instead the people and stories that come out of the winning or losing.

I can’t imagine he has any concerns of who is and isn’t reading his material. He has reached the position he wants and more people then ever are reading what he writes because it is high quality and front page.

DK: I appreciate that, Nate, but there definitely is a care about who is reading the material. I’m very aware of it, which is why I know that the typical thin-skinned, myopic baseball response is factually without merit.

I’ll repeat: My readership has never even been one-fourth of what it is since making the role switch. I have numbers to support this. And within those numbers, I also know which teams and topics draw the greatest interest.

The Pirates, even now, are No. 3, which is equal with every other data that exists on the topic. It’s not an opinion.

That doesn’t mean you write to the data, of course. I wouldn’t do the odd Riverhounds piece or even Pitt/Penn State sports if it was all about the data. You try to spread it out. I most definitely would never do something as silly as the curling piece from Winnipeg. NO data supports that. :)

The only people anywhere who’d even have cross their minds that doing one beat — any beat — is somehow larger in scope/visibility than a general column are those whose view of the sporting world is limited to one particular team.

34. Pucknutz says:

Sorry DK, you have really missed on this one.
    To quote a few of the above posts:

“As bad as the Steelers have looked, they’re STILL the Steelers”
    “Steelers are not going to be relevant this year. It happens. No big deal…..”

“Many of us know they are not going to be a very good team this year”
    To that I might add that I suspect the Rooneys also know that. If they are going to shake things up it ain’t gonna just be tonights game.

So far this year I would think that some of the Pens playoff games were far bigger in almost all aspects.

Last nights Pirate game may turn out to be the biggest “game” so far. Coming back from the stake in the heart the night before could be the catalyst to push them to winning the Division. That remains to be seen.

Important game? Absolutely. Biggest game? Nah.

DK: That’s your view, and I respect it. I have mine.

35. Sarah says:

I think we should be prepared for the possibility that Vokoun may have to call it a career.
    My brother had a similar clot (abdominal) and first time it is 3 months anticoagulants. A second time (unprovoked) and the general range is 6 months to even lifetime on them, which makes contact sports impossible. Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome….but it may mean 6 months out for Tomas.

There are some Gs available but more are older. We’ll see what Shero does. Don’t think he is as committed to MAF as DB is.

Anyway, BEST WISHES to TV for speedy recovery and a lifetime of good health, never mind hockey.

36. Sarah says:

Agreed – Jussi is what Malkin needs on the wing.

Given DB is unlikely to break up KCD, wonder where that leaves Bennett?

DK: Bennett would go to the third line with Sutter and Matt D’Agostini.

+many

38. For a lot of us Steeler fans, the team’s sudden collapse is as if a beloved friend or relation had suddenly died and folks are in shock and disbelief. The only difference is that a win or two will bring the Steelers back to life.

DK,

I guess you just have to accept the fact that you wont ever please everyone, and regarding some, you wont ever please them at any time.

Keep doing what you are doing, the way you are doing it.
    Haters will always hate, regardless of the facts.

40. hockeymonster says:

Don’t worry DK, that was a rhetorical question. PM got caught pinching…was trying to be sarcastic.

Stuart’s a “hater?” Really? Not to me.

smh

I was saying in general.
    Sorry I didnt explain that clearly.
    Sorry you are shaking your head also, I guess.

43. Nate83 says:

Sorry DK I probably didn’t word that correctly. I know you care about people reading your columns. I meant specifically you are going to write what you know a majority of people want to read about and if that for some reason alianates a few diehard fans of the other sports so be it. You can’t please everyone all the time.

44. Nate83 says:

Haters shake their heads. They do it all the time. Just sayin’.

Yes. I regret this post. Wish I could delete it from my end. I got the point of your column, and I should have acknowledged that in my post. Definitely, a micro and macro way to look at tonight’s game. It is an immensely huge game in the context of possible implosion, roster overall and management shuffling.

Oh well, won’t be the last thing I post that I regret, I suppose.

46. It would be so much easier for us fans to follow and to understand the Pirates these days if only the Bucs had been contending all along during these past 20 years.

What exactly ARE you saying, Nate?

Seriously.

48. Pucknutz says:

And I respect yours – just think you are wrong !! LOL

49. MrB says:

If you can comprehend my post correctly Scott, I stated that if the Pirates happen to host a one game elimination wild card playoff game this year, that will easily be “the biggest, most momentous game played in Pittsburgh all year”.

I consider that statement to be neither a massive overstatement nor sensationalizing. My rationale is (1) the Pirates past twenty years of losing seasons and the cumulative angst, which the fans have endured (2) the stunning fact they may well go from twenty years of losing to the playoffs. Most everyone would have been satisfied with a winning non-playoff season and (3) the fact that it will be a do or die game.

I really hope it happens so that you, DK and everyone else can experience it and realize a true example of momentous.

I still believe DKs column was ridiculous. The Steelers are now 0-3 and now you, DK and others believe the season is over. I disagree simply for the fact there are 13 games yet to be played.

I could make a biased comment about reinforcing the stereotype of a thin-skinned Steelers fan, but I digress.

DK – the only response I have for you presently is that I was not avoiding the two shake-ups in a 40 year span. Have you ever heard the phrase, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”? As you noted when the Steelers play approximately 500 non-playoff ball for two seasons, ownership makes changes. The Steelers have been a great organization for 40+ years. There are many reasons for this, but I’ll stress that one is patience. I don’t think the organization is going to panic. I don’t think the organization believes the season is over at 0-3. I don’t either because there are 13 games remaining.

I see you avoided answering why you only looked back to 1990 for your statistical analysis.

I’m guessing that todays columnist is judged favorably (in no particular order) by (1) provoking a reaction from readership, (2) some measure of originality and (3) having material and making deadlines. Unfortunately, that combination (depending on the subject matter) can lead to pieces that can range from ridiculous and/or incredibly damaging to very insightful and/or incredibly beneficial.

I found this column to be ridiculous. I believe you were desperate for both a Steeler-centric submission and some kind of unique angle. You padded it with assumptions. I also believe you’re attempting to selectively quote stats to support your viewpoint. I believe this column is sensationalistic simply because you decided to hang the entire football season on the outcome of this game. The result is an immature piece of work.

Since I’m not getting paid and I sincerely doubt that if I were to present what you consider an actual argument, you would be sending me your paycheck, I’m not going to waste any more of my time. Lets get one thing straight though. While I used some colorful metaphors to label your column substandard, it wasn’t personal. I believe you are lacking at times as a columnist and there is much room for improvement. You did a bad job and I expect much better from individuals entitled as columnists.

50. John Lease says:

That was not the biggest game of the year.

It won’t even be remembered as the worst game of the year, I fear.