Final: Pirates 2, Cubs 1

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (89-67) vs. Chicago Cubs (65-91)

Starters: RHP Charlie Morton vs. RHP Jeff Samardzija

Time: 8:05 p.m.

Site: Wrigley Field, Chicago

TV, radio: Root Sports, WGN (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Jose Tabata, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Justin Morneau, 1B
  5. Marlon Byrd, RF
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Jordy Mercer, SS
  9. Morton, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates pageRob Biertempfel is on the scene.

Comments

1. Stickyweb says:

And down the stretch they come!!!

Good to see Russell back in there,

Time to right the ship after yesterday’s battle where the reds blasted several holes in the hull

4. Karen22 says:

Glad Martin’s knee must be OK.

Ground Chuck to the rescue! :)

5. Playoffs by 2012 says:

MULTI-LINE MONDAY!!!

Standings will be updated sometime this evening, sorry didn’t get around to updating them yesterday.

******PLEASE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW******
    PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier when I don’t have to hunt to find everyone’s “wagers”

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!

Line #1
    Total STRIKEOUTS THROWN by Charlie Morton in tonight’s game?
    Line is 6.5

Line #2
    Total STRIKEOUTS by Pirates Batters in tonight’s game
    Line is 9.5

GOOD LUCK!!!

Wild Card Magic Number: 2

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

WHAT WOULD ALEX PRESLEY DO…KEEP CALM, PANIC, or WATCH THE PENGUINS GAME?

6. TCB says:

Under for both for 75. Thanks.

7. Baywatch says:

Afternoon, Gang!

Line 1—-UNDER

Line 2—-OVER

Both for 100, please.

9. Bill Born says:

Please may I have Under on both Lines for 100 units.

Sorry, meant to put it here:

Line 1—-UNDER

Line 2—-OVER

Both for 100, please.

11. bman says:

@playoffs

Line 1: 75 on the UNDER
    Line 2: 100 on the UNDER

Thanks!!

12. Nate83 says:

The more I think I know the less I actually do. I would have thought with ground chuck in there Barmes would be in the line up. Whatever. I’m happy to see Mercer get back out there. Really didn’t think he should sit as long as he did after the error

13. Nate83 says:

line 1 – 100 on the over
    line 2 – 100 on the under

14. Reading says:

Tonight we’re going to party like it’s 1979- maybe. Rolling Rock in the fridge ready if they clinch a Wild Card berth.

15. Lad 9 says:

Line 1 over
    Line 2 under

Both for 100 Samardzijans. Thank you Playoffs and thatnks for the shout out yesterday. It was no problem. Go Buccos!

Latrobe’s finest.

Last time the Pirates clinched a playoff spot, Rolling Rock was ACTUALLY brewed in Latrobe.

18. Stickyweb says:

UNDER on both lines for 100 each. Thanks

19. Stickyweb says:

What, no Iron City?!?!?

20. cmat0829 says:

100 both lines:

OVER on 1
    UNDER on 2

Szmardzija – i’m not going to bother checking whether I got that spelling correct – had a stranglehold on the Bucs until some point this year. I think we have hit him pretty well a couple of times in a row. And he has been in a general funk overall for a few months. I hope it stays that way tonight.

I think we are going to need to take 2 of 3, minimum, next weekend to avoid going back there for the WC game. The season series is now tied 8-8, and the tiebreaker for homefield advantage goes to the season series winner, right? So, even if we go into Cincy up 1 game, if the Reds take 2 of 3 they win the tiebreaker. I think I have that right. If so, being up 1 game on them is the same as being tied, for all intents and purposes. That’s a lot of thinking for my brain. Someone tell me if I got that wrong.

I know we still need to beat up on the Cubbies first, but that game Friday was an absolute killer!

With just five more games after tonight, it is becoming clear that Jose Tabata is the guy in left for the rest of the season. Good for him – he’s earned it – and good for Hurdle, who is rewarding him while recognizing that Marte has looked awful at the plate since returning.

Is there any reason at all to have Justin Morneau bat cleanup? Ok, other than the theory that lineup construction is irrelevant.

I see Bill Buckner is back at short. :-)

24. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Donnie Iris in the tape deck,
    IC Light is on ice,
    Now I wait…..

‘Sup, Bay!

26. cmat0829 says:

My current mindset is “hope” for the Cards leaving door cracked for the division but PLAN for a one-game wild card game…. 2 down with 6 to play, all Cards home games, and both the Reds and Bucs need to be planning for the wildcard round.

There are many ways of looking at this but this is one Bucs fan that is happy MLB has a wildcard… now, we can argue whether we need TWO wildcards and the 1-game play-in, but how crappy would it be for such a magical season to finish on Sunday, with the Bucs a game or two out of it for the division crown?

ALL OF THAT SAID, I thnk the biggest hope is that the Bucs can play again at PNC this season… we all want the fans to experience a home playoff game, to salute this team for a helluva accomplishment…not getting that chance would be sad. If you really think about it, 1 game at home is all that any team except the top 2 records in each league are guaranteed in the playoffs….in a best of 5 series, if you lose the first 3 (including 1 at home), you are done. Not much difference there.

Hey, NMR. Just wanted to say I think AJ must have been reading the blog on Friday. :-)

Pitched a gem, and no flareups. We really needed a big game from him, and we got it. Thank goodness they got him a couple of runs in the 7th.

28. Reading says:

Unfortunately, no Iron City in stores in the Big Easy that I’m aware of. The Rock, however, is my favorite from my PSU days at the Skeller.

“We ain’t learned our lesson yet.”

It’s easy to be on your best behavior when everything goes right!

One case of pony bottles, please.

32. Nate83 says:

Because his bat plays well with that short porch in right field at PNC. Oops I forgot we may have just played our last game there for the year. Well hopefully we have at least one more there and he saved that first PNC home run for then. It would all be worth it if that is the case.

Right now, I think I might bat Walker in that spot before Morneau. He seems to be out of his funk finally.

34. Nate83 says:

See you destracted me with the Morneau comment. I originally was going to give you a + on the Tabata comment. He has earned it and it is nice to see him rewarded.

I spent Friday and Saturday night in the right field stands watching Justin pepper the warning track in front of that “short porch”.

Ugh.

True.

The obvious solution seems to be Byrd.

37. Nate83 says:

He has hit some balls hard to the warning track. He definately has given me and my son a few get out of your seats and get ready to jump moments over the last 8-10 games. I’m sure my wife just laughs at how stupid we look.

38. kr70 says:

100 under on both and thanks

39. Nate83 says:

It looks like the Mets have been playing pretty good of late. Maybe they can help us out. I see Vic Black has pitched 10 innings for them since the trade with 9 K’s and a 1.10 WHIP. It would be awesome for him to somehow contibute to beating the Reds.

40. Reading says:

With a bottle opener.

41. cmat0829 says:

spot on Jim… it’s interesting but if the Cards keep the division out of reach, then it becomes pretty likely (unless there is a 2-game differential in these midweek series (one team sweeps and other loses series 1-2 or one team wins series and other team gets swept), it will all come down to who wins the series in Cincy…. this MIGHT make the Wednesday game irrelevant (i.e. Bucs and Reds each split the first 2 games of their series)…. then IF I’m Clint Hurdle, wouldn’t it be tempting to move Liriano to Friday’s game in Cincy (he could still go on Tuesday for the wildcard game on 3-days rest)?

I dont remember bottle openers at the Skeller. ;)

I dont remember bottle openers at the Skeller. ;)

44. Stickyweb says:

Pretty sure you have that right Jim. Not so much the spelling, but the tie-breaker for the home field advantage part. The weird thing is it’s the same situation if the Reds are up 1 game going into Friday also. So unless either they or the Bucs build a 2 game lead in the next 3 games, home field for the WC comes down to winning the series in Cincy.

45. Karen22 says:

100 each – UNDER

46. cmat0829 says:

Terry Collin will have his team playing hard…. Aaron Harang…ummm, not sure that gives me much hope for tonight, though.

47. toochca says:

Mets are 7-3 in last 10.

48. Nate83 says:

Maybe Harang dislikes his former team and will throw some high and inside on accident. Maybe his foot slips and he throws one in Dusty’s direction in the dugout.

The Pirates will need to sweep the Cubs to stay tied. The Mets are 7-3 in their last 10, against the Marlins, Giants & Phillies. The Mets last try against a contender was a 4 gamer at home against the Nats. They lost all 4 in a series that saw the Nats hit more homers than the Mets scored runs. This is a Reds sweep.

50. Karen22 says:

Me, too…until yesterday when Barmes had two errors.

51. Stickyweb says:

Great minds…, cmat. You just type faster than I do. Interesting point about pushing Liriano if Reds and Bucs each split Mon & Tues. But I don’t like starting Frankie on 3 days rest for the WC game. Cole would be available for that game if you push Frankie back. Do you trust him with the first playoff game in 20 years?

52. cmat0829 says:

I’m doubting we will see Marte in the lineup in the regular season, becoming clear that he isn’t ready to be a factor at the plate (either injury or rust or both)… I’d also think he’d be LEFT OFF the roster for the NLDS (WHEN the Bucs get there) but I’d also think he’d be ON the roster for the wildcard game… you can leave off a few starting pitchers from the active roster for that game and you’d have extra slots for offensive players…and Marte’s speed and defense may make a difference.

53. cmat0829 says:

that’s what I’m PLANNING on but HOPING for something better… now, if the Bucs win the first 2 of their series in Chicago, do they bump Liriano to Friday’s game because it won’t matter if they win or lose the next day, they will still need to win the series in GABP?

54. Dadtackular says:

line 1 100 under
    line 2 100 under

55. Nate83 says:

I could be wrong but I personally don’t see 5 outfielders on the team worth keeping over Marte even if he is just being used as a pinch runner or defensive replacement.

Aaron Harang has allowed 25 homers in 131 innings this year.

57. Reading says:

1984-85 timeframe. They charged a quarter, I believe. You could keep it. Now, if only there was a CD of Terry Whitlock playing the guitar and singing “Amy” and “Surfer Girl” we’d be good to go.

If you move him to Friday neither he nor AJ can pitch the playoff game. That’s the only game that matters, next Tuesday. All of this leading up to it is window dressing & elevator music.

59. Nate83 says:

He won’t be mistaken for Kershaw but who knows what Cuato gives the Reds tonight. Baseball is crazy. Locke just gave us a quality start 11 days ago. You never know what is going to happen.

60. toochca says:

Most likely not because it would move AJ off his scheduled start and leave Lirano not available to start the Oct. 1 game

61. Nate83 says:

Agree, you must line up your pitching for that one game. It is almost certainly going to happen and the Reds can’t seem to figure Liriano out. I don’t him pitching in 1 of 162 games instead of the 1 and only game.

62. cmat0829 says:

As to Morneau, and where he should hit…. IF you agree that he should indeed be in the lineup (and I’m not hearing anyone say he shouldn’t), then what is the best batting order we can muster at this point? Do we plug Mercer or Martin in the 2 spot, Walker at 3 and move Cutch to cleanup? Do we flip-flop Byrd and Morneau? I didn’t like it when Pedro was clean-up and Martin doesn’t belong there…… I’m inclined to keep it as it is, but if they can’t get it together then you shake it up….

I think my view is you plug Mercer in the 2 spot and take your chances there… otherwise Morneau is cleanup because I HATE the idea of Morneau and Pedro back to back.

63. Naje says:

Alvarez’ .203 average since Aug 1 may have something to do with. Morneau isn’t quite the easy out as Alvarez…. that’s all I got.

Ah.

I visited mainly late 85-87.
    That explains much.

Bottle openers for a quarter. :)

65. Nate83 says:

Did he have two? I honestly don’t know. DVR’ed the game and then didn’t watch it after the second inning after my son told me they loss 11-3

Liriano starts & a rested Cole is 1st man up if there’s early trouble.

67. Stickyweb says:

I disagree Milo (respectfully, of course). Anything can happen in that Dice K-Greg Reynolds matinee on Thursday. And what’s Cueto gonna bring to the party tonight? As Rotoworld said last Monday “Facing Houston with Trevor Crowe batting third is practically a rehab start. Cueto allowed five hits, walked one and struck out five while throwing 82 pitches. He should be ready to throw 90-95 pitches this weekend against the Pirates.” I missed why he didn’t face the Bucs. Anyone know? Was he scared?

The Mets are young and hungry, and I for one have complete faith in them. I can’t believe I just wasted the time to type that.

I’ve never known anyone that’s gotten rich betting baseball.

Do they still play elevator music?
    I thought they went away from instrumental stuff.

Of course, some elevator music is good.
    (Better than what they pass for music today).

70. cmat0829 says:

yes, personally I’d be ok with any of the top 4 pitching in a 1-game and done scenario…my personal order is: Liriano/Cole/AJ/Morton…Cole comes up big in big games.

71. Nate83 says:

I hope that is exactly how they are planning on playing that game. Not only has Cole pitched well of late but if Liriano for some reason give up 3 early runs Cole coming in would keep the crowd into the game if at home.

The question is if it comes down to game 162 to decide home field do you pitch Cole then to try and get the game at home. I think it was you that posted the Pirates pitching splits a while back. Liriano is much better at home.

72. cmat0829 says:

No real argument here, but per Greg Brown he feels like the Bucs will NOT have Marte on the roster just to pinchrun and play 8th inning defense… in that case, you’d have to think they will keep both Jones and Pie on the roster…though I’d argue Jones is the one that isn’t needed of those 2.

73. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

100 on the Under for both please.

74. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Ha!

75. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

And people in the seats….

76. cmat0829 says:

I guess it comes down to how much Clint will do to get the play-in game at PNC vs. GABP. If the Wednesday game at Wrigley is meaningless (and it would be in a few scenarios), then Liriano has greater value starting one of the 3 games vs the Reds as it relates to the home field advantage. I seem to recall Clint saying that Liriano could come back and pitch Sunday vs Reds if the division was at stake (that would be the same amount of rest he would need to pitch both Friday at GABP AND Tuesday at hopefully PNC for the WC game).

But I’m sure Clint will just keep the rotation as it is, save for skipping Locke’s start on Saturday. I’m ok with that, just wondering out loud if they’d consider a Liriano/AJ/Morton rotation for the Reds series, with Cole backing up a 3-day rest Liriano for the WC game. But c’est la vie.

77. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Cmat, I think moving Liriano over for that game was already mentioned last week by CH.

78. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

True, but I’m not pulling NW from in front of Cutch. That might have a lot to do with his latest success.

Maybe move Morneau to 6th?
    And bump Byrd and Pedro up one spot each?

80. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Either way, its been a great season. If they fall short of a PO birth, I’ll still celebrate it.

81. toochca says:

Pete Rose!! Sorry, couldn’t resist!

OK, then what is Pie going to do ? Probably be a defensive replacement & pinch runner. I’ll take Marte for that duty, thanks.

It’s not a gambling problem till you start losing. :)

84. Robert Scott says:

I know a lot of people are looking at the Wild Card game as a “1 and done” but its really like a game 7 with Reds. Played 3 in Pitt this weekend, 3 in cincy next weekend so it will really be like a game 7. That being said, this should be the lineup:

Marte
    Cutch
    Byrd
    Walker
    Mourneau
    Alvarez
    Mercer
    Martin
    Liriano

**Simply put Byrd is more of a “power” hitter than cutch. Having those 2 at the top of the lineup adds speed which is necessary to getting that easy base. Mercer is a better hitter than Barmes so he has to stay especially if the game is at GAB where hitting is essential. Walker has been hitting great lately and doesnt strike out as much as pedro so he gets the cleanup spot. Is this lineup unconventional? Of course, but when you are 12/16th in runs scored thru 155 games, what you have been doing isnt working!

85. bizrow says:

100 over line 1
    100 under line 2

Thanks Playoffs

Beat Em Bucs

86. bizrow says:

• Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post
    Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    Brazil – Vitoria, São Paulo
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank, West Hills, Encino
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera) and a*, St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, W Melbourne
    France – Strasbourg
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt, Maquoketa, Urbandale
    Ireland – Dublin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Mason, Battle Creek
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha, Lincoln
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair, Monmouth Beach
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany
    Nevada, Las Vegas, Henderson
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point, Winston Salem
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton, Northwood, Middletown
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE
    Oregon – Roseburg
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Philipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove, Dormont, Scott Township, Blawnox, Arnold, Ligonier, Wells Tannery, Swoyersville
    The Philippines
    Rhode Island
    Serbia
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston, North Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park, Pleasanton
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Uzbekistan
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke, Vienna
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*
    407 confirmed locations represented in the blog, and a couple of strange places
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Fred Rogers
    Mario Lemieux, ditto to the Great One, he stays as an owner
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg/Swissvale
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Bleier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    All Servicemen and women that have been in battle, ever
    Sgt Doug Vitale
    Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan Band
    Barney Dreyfuss
    George Benson
    First Responders***
    24 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Then there was that Cold day in Hell place
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure that out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    9/23/2013 6:23 PM

87. John Lease says:

The only thing Pie should be doing is thanking his lucky stars he got another month of ML service time.

88. John Lease says:

I’m willing to be tempted to watch this game.

But I don’t think I can take it. If they get up by 10, I’ll be able to tough it out.

89. Brandie says:

I almost thought you meant John Russell.

90. Brandie says:

I would like 50 on both lines…1 over and 2 under. Thank you!

Same here.
    After the two losses last week with only one out needed for victory, I am done.

I will pop in once in a while on the game, but I see a less than stellar finish to the season.
    Of course, I do hope they win every game here on out, but I just dont see that.
    Go Bucs.

92. Jason81 says:

100 on the UNDER for both lines, please!

93. cosmo says:

line 1 100 over

line 2 100 under

Manny Machado was carted off in Tampa with a bad leg injury. Real bad.

95. Karen22 says:

YES…but I didn’t watch it, either – OR DVR it!

Left knee. Taken off on a stretcher.

97. Karen22 says:

No way Pie is on a post season roster. NO WAY. And I’d take Marte over Jones any day at this point if it comes to a choice – injured finger or not. Jones has been a total bust this season. Hasn’t earned a bench spot.

98. Baywatch says:

Hey, Jim!

99. Brandie says:

Oh my! I hate to see stuff like that happen. :(

100. Brandie says:

Hello Tattoo the Disco Hippo and Mr. Lease With An Option To Buy.

Hi Brandie.
    Wont be in here much.
    I hope this finds you doing well.
    Cheer on our Bucs…………… might see you later.

This place is worse off when people like you arent here.

102. BDHumbert says:

I have totally lost my mojo…

My kids don’t think I ever had one/it

100 on the under on both – Smardasux-a]idgsadsa
    does not make it to the third inning..

103. Brandie says:

Have to work. I feel the same way about you, Jandy, Lad 9, The Temptress, TJA, Jimster, Revive, Arriba, etc.

104. Tom P. says:

You’re right, Jim. I would have agreed with you sooner, but I was out mowing the grass. A task, my wife reminded me, I had neglected for far too long. Add the two inches of rain we got on Saturday, and it was a mess.

This should be an interesting week. Winnable games in Chicago for the Bucs, challenging games for the Cardinals, and who knows about the Reds. The Mets are a .500 team on the road, but 13 under at home. That doesn’t make sense.

Yikes!
    Just a simple step on the bag, and his knee gave out.
    Kinda reminded me on the Jason Kendall play years ago.

Thanks, kid.
    Dont let work get you down.

100 units for the under both lines. Thanks!
    Let’s right the ship Bucs!

108. BDHumbert says:

So our choices at Shortstop are one who can’t hit but might make a really great play once every 5 or 6 games – but is capable of blowing an easy opportunity now and then and makes $6 Million…

OR
    A shortstop who hits for OK average, but has NO power and will now and then make an error – and makes less than a Mil…

Does it take a Mensa to figure out who plays – and yes even though Mercer starts and plays to 8 or 9 as long as we are [over] paying for Barmes I would put him out there as a late inning D sub.

And now they just lost on a walkoff. That takes care of the Orioles in a number of ways. I hate for any athlete to have to carry a serious injury into an off season, just brutal.

Work is a four letter word…did someone take my name in vain??

Hey!

Root our team on.
    I may catch you later.
    Maybe not, but it was good to see you.

112. Brandie says:

Good Evening Mr. Watch!

Bo good Hipposter :*

100% agreed.
    Every time I think of a horrific injury, I think back to Bernard King.

Thanks for posting this about Machado.
    Prayers to him and his family.

Good to see you, Milo….. have a great night. :)

Sending some good vibes to Sistah Brandecita!

116. Brandie says:

Greetings and Salutations Jandelicia!

That is awful! Prayers for him and his family

119. MadTurk says:

And now Iron City is brewed there.

Heartily agree!

121. NYRpete says:

I really don’t care where the WC game is played. It’s more important to have Liriano on five days’ rest for that win-or-go home game.

122. Brandie says:

Mood seems kind of low in here tonight. Has it been a rough day today? If so, I’m sending you all of the good vibes I can. :-)

You too Plan. The Labatt’s Blue is on ice. Been waiting for 21 years. Symmetrical, you know.

Agree on Pie. But I think Marte and Jones will both be on the playoff roster, at least after the WC, which is an ummm . . . Wild card.

125. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window….just six and counting as the ride continues.

Line 1 75 on the UNDER

Line 2 75 on the UNDER

Thanks and GO Bucs!

Not here. I want to see this maddening group pop champagne tonight.

I was feeling like you and Plan, but I probably won’t be able to resist. We’ll see.

The Boss was on a roll today… other than that it was blog business as usual. :)

I’ll drink to that!

I wouldn’t say low, just nervous. ;-)

Bold reamings for everyone ?

+21.

133. Brandie says:

That could mean so many things… ;)

134. Baywatch says:

Brandie, you can call me Bay (as he gives a sheepish, Curley from Three Stooges head roll!)

135. BDHumbert says:

Hmmmmm….

I am not sure if I wouldn’t shut down AJ, Franky and Cole once the Nationals are eliminated…

I would also shut down the four relievers we care about…

Grilli
    Melancon
    Watson
    Wilson

And maybe Gomez…

My logic is that I have depth in the staff – and what I want is to go into the play in game with my top three starters rested – I am not giving up on winning the home game – or winning the Central – but the last thing I want is to enter a play in game with Locke being my starter…

136. Baywatch says:

LOL!

137. Brandie says:

Bold Reamings Are The Best Reamings. Otherwise, it would seem like DK didn’t care.

Lol he was raggin on Stuart for a perceived slight. Stu forgot his ;)
    Then it was wise cracks for a while.
    Good thing we all like him.:)
    And he puts up with us!

I guess I am an odd bird for “quitting” on the team, but they have done this before, and I am getting tired of seeing the same old movie.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.
    Sorry.

140. Brandie says:

I like you! You make me smile Bay!

141. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

should’ve been a bucco…..

142. Brandie says:

DK is good at cracking wise for sure. Special brand of Western PA snark! :-)

Me too! How’s the new job coming along Bay-man?

144. Brandie says:

I guess your poor Hippo heart can’t take it. I’ll cheer extra hard for you.

I just went back & read from where I left off, you described it perfectly. And thanks to DK for answering my Fleury post.

Jandy, you made me laugh again. A good friend of mine used to call his dearly departed mother “the queen of the perceived slight”.

I keep looking over my shoulder for a bold reaming ;)

147. Brandie says:

Is Bay-man Batman’s younger brother?

148. KenKopp says:

Jeez this is fun!!! An honest to God pennant race. Nerve racking, but fun. Hope the Reds lose and Nats win. I still want the division. That one game wild card game scares the heck out of me.

I’ve been so wrapped up in the games that I haven’t gotten of the blog much during them, but I read bits and pieces. You’re all a bunch of nuts. Oops, I mean Lunitics

Glad to be of service Milo, dear friend :)
    Just call ‘em as I see ‘em.
    Lol

150. Brandie says:

Who knows what will happen? I have no control over it, but I will tune in to see the potential triumph or train wreck.

151. Barb says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

152. Brandie says:

Gettin’ the message Double K!

Could be lol

154. Jason81 says:

Things I’ve waited 21 years to see…a ROOT Sports story on preparing to celebrate a playoff birth. Let’s get this done tonight!

Lol Ken. We can be a rowdy bunch but we just wanna have fun!

156. Brandie says:

I can just see DK at the computer like a culture just waiting to pounce and give a juicy bold reaming to an unsuspecting, innocent lunatic.

H*ll yeah!

158. Brandie says:

Culture= Vulture

159. Brandie says:

Good Evening Bodacious One!

Has nothing to do with “fandom.” We all root in our own way, plan, as it should be.

But I think you stole Biz’s old line, “hope, but expect.” ;-)

161. KenKopp says:

‘Nuthin wrong with that.

162. Lad 9 says:

It’s the Crüe! Good evening all. It is a fine night to make the playoffs ad enjoy it with friends!

163. Brandie says:

LAAAADDDDDDD NIIIIIIINNNNNNNEEEEE!

win or lose, enjoy it with friends :)

165. Lad 9 says:

BBBBBRRRRRRRANNNNNDDDDIEEEEEEEEE! Good to see you Muppet!

166. KenKopp says:

Reds are up 1-0, still batting in the bottom of the second, bases loaded and Votto up. “Good Grief Charlie Brown”

167. KenKopp says:

And Votto walks. 2-0

168. Irish says:

50 on Under for Line 1
    50 on Over for Line 2
    Thanks, Playoffs!

169. Barb says:

Good evening Brandicita. How goes it?

170. Barb says:

Good evening Jandy. I see poor Hipposter doesn’t have the stomach to watch the Pirates. That’s okay we will watch and root them on for him. :)

Cubs stacking 6 lefties against Charlie.

yes we will, Barb!

Walker loves Wrigley!

I want him to show me just how much he loves it ;)

He did.

woop woop!

show me again, PRNW ;)

178. KenKopp says:

Mets got one back. Reds 2 – Mets 1 Middle 2nd

179. Barb says:

I only have one thing to say to our dear Hipposter (with apologies to Shirley Booth)
    Come back, Come back, Little Hippo!

some nice plays there…now go get some more runs, Bucs!

181. KenKopp says:

1-2-3 Good paly Pedro. Good start Charlie.

C’mon Petey!

183. Pucknutz says:

Goin against the grain here-
    Rather see the Nats win 2 – Bucs win 2…..
    Then…..it would be down to the final 4 games….
    Patience, Grasshopper…..

Hard row to hoe to win the Division. But…….

Hi Puckers!

Nice hit Jordy!

Luis Valbuena, the glove is merely a prop.

:sigh:

188. Barb says:

:( I agree! Dumb bunny!

189. KenKopp says:

Not smart base running there.

190. Patrick(ri) says:

I picked a fine time to tune in!

same ol, same ol

192. Hell Unleashed says:

God love our Buccos, base running woes and all!

193. Brandie says:

:-) Awesome to see you tonight!

194. KenKopp says:

Nats 2-0 bottom of the first.

Mike DiMuro is tonight’s hack behind the plate.

His father was AL umpire Lou DiMuro. Famous for the Cleon Jones shoe polish incident in the 1969 World Series.

A hack by any other name would still stink up the ball diamond

198. KenKopp says:

Nats 2 – Cards 1 End of 1st

199. Brandie says:

Bless his hippo heart!

200. Reading says:

My thoughts are Pirates win and Cards win tonight and get rid of the Nats once and for all. Then jockey for position. I can easily see the Pirates getting swept in Cincy (at least not beyond the realm of possibility), and what if Nats run the table. Pirates would need 2 in Wrigley, which might not happen.

201. Brandie says:

I am wishing for a black hole to swallow the Nats, the Reds, and the Cards so they are never seen or heard from again. Problem solved. :-)

This guy’s ERA is 4.40. Imagine what it is against everyone else.

Nice hit Petey!

204. Barb says:

What a concept!

205. Brandie says:

Guess fundamentals are not important.

206. KenKopp says:

No No No! It’s a pennant race. You don’t go for number 2 after all this. Nats win today and the next day and so do we and we are tied for Numero Uno and we eliminate the Nats and they help us. We are not losers anymore. Lets go for it all.

make it happen!

208. Brandie says:

Busy. Have not had much time to post lately.

New Rule…Do not mention the name Russell without Martin to back that up because that could be mistaken as the Bucs are, indeed, bringing back John Russell!

209. Brandie says:

Wile E. Coyote often ordered the Acme Portable hole for such occasions. Gotta love cartoon physics!

210. Lad 9 says:

I am not necessarily in the Bob Hasis camp re Nick Leyva, but we get soooo many runners thrown out at home that it has to make you wonder at some point…like now.

211. Brandie says:

Revvie! Greetings and good vibes! Hoping for more offensive output and shut down pitching to bring the Hippo out of hiding. How does one hide a hippo?

212. Brandie says:

I like talk like that Double K!

213. Lad 9 says:

I would like to maneuver that hole under Dusty Baker and then pull it shut. BEEP BEEP

214. Barb says:

Don’t you wish you could call up the Acme Company to order that?

215. Brandie says:

Something else to blow up in the off season, whenever that is!

216. Barb says:

Ground Chuck make me a hamburger!

217. Pucknutz says:

Hi Salty Saint, nice ta see ya…
    How bout ya use some of that influence ya got with ol Saint Pete to help the Bucs enter the “promised land” !!! LOL

218. Brandie says:

Also a good way to get out of a bad date. Let’s have Dow Chemical get right on that!

219. Lad 9 says:

He is snorkeling in the pond. :) I sure think this is a much better place when he pops in from the Serengeti…. Hope he comes back this evening.

220. Hell Unleashed says:

Sadly, the Steelers D, running game, and ball security found that hole and have not been heard from since. Beep-Beep!

221. Brandie says:

St. Pete = Pedro “Petey” Alvarez?

222. KenKopp says:

Anything can happen these next 7 days kiddos. 20 years is a long time, but us older folks have been through this before. It is gut wrenching, frustrating, but more fun than a barrel of monkeys. We can still host a playoff series not just a wild card game. Root hard Lunnies.

223. Reading says:

Nobody’s going for no. 2. I want the Pirates in. What I don’t want is the Nats still alive when the Oirates arrive in Cincy. If the opportunity arises for the Cards to win tonight and that puts the Pirates in, tgen I say root for the Cards. A second win for the Pirates might never come. A bird in the hand …

224. Brandie says:

It’s either laugh or cry. What bad debt did they have to pay that meant Todd Haley had to be taken on in the process?

This strike zone is a joke. And I don’t find it the least bit funny.

226. Tom P. says:

Mets and Reds tied at 2 after 6.

227. Brandie says:

Double K, Kaptain Kool is on a roll! Watch out!

228. Lad 9 says:

Except they shoot that ball out of the hole a few times a game so the other team can take it away….

229. Brandie says:

Like a Jerry Seinfeld Joke?

230. Lad 9 says:

+1,2,3

231. Hell Unleashed says:

Must have owed old man Haley a favor from back in the day…

232. Reading says:

We’re not exactly smoking Smardja either. Letting the Cubs hang around. Wrigley is the site of the Homer in the Gloamin’ from 1938, an infamous event in Pirates history. Any help from the Cards or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

233. Barb says:

Grrrrrrrn :(

234. Barb says:

Yeah its made of flubber.

235. Pucknutz says:

Nah – a Saint gotta preform a few miracles, or at least get credit for em. Pedro ain’t there yet!!

236. Barb says:

Like the black hole of Calcutta.

237. Reading says:

I’ve been through this before, too. Get in first, then perfect your position.

238. KenKopp says:

So after tonight we would have to go 0-5 and the Nats 5-0. Not very likely to happen.

239. Brandie says:

Let me know when he parts the Mon, has 4 grand slams in a game, and saves a Pens series as a guest net minder, then we’ll put him up for Saint hood.

240. Patrick(ri) says:

Adam L. Just rolled into a dp with men on first & third — just like old times.

241. Brandie says:

Or the Black Hole of McKeesport! N’ At!

242. Barb says:

Wrong team Charlie!

243. Brandie says:

Ahhh! The memories!

Boo.

I’m vibin’ for all I got, Puckers!!!

That pitch by Charlie looked a lot like the one that hit Cutch Friday night. Just sayin’.

247. Brandie says:

Just not a fan Wilver.

248. Reading says:

Dude, this is the Pirates, who, as of two weeks ago, owned a 20 year losing streak. Anything’s possible over 6 games.

249. Patrick(ri) says:

Our top three pitchers, top four, actually, should scare the hell out of any team in a five game series. It will be fun to watch. Assuming we can average 2 + runs.

250. Brandie says:

Hey! Hey! Hey!

And there’s your silver lining!

251. Barb says:

Well STL tied the game!

252. KenKopp says:

I live in Melbourne Fl. The Nats spring training is here and I go up in the morning to watch the workouts. You get real close to the players. They are on 4 adjacent fields doing drills. BP, etc. I didn’t like Adam when he was a Buc. Never looked like he was trying hard. Getting a close up look he just does not look like a nice guy. Good riddance. Hope he hits a homer tonight though. Go Nats. Sorry Reading.

nice, Charlie!

not so nice, Tabby

255. Patrick(ri) says:

I am a Pirate fan. Therefore a specialist in wishful thinking.

256. Steelag70 says:

What a pleasure it has been to watch Charlie come back from not only TJ surgery, but also an afterthought as far as fulfilling any of the promise he had when he was acquired…he has been more than awesome this year.

257. KenKopp says:

1-0 Bucs, 2-2 Cards & Nats, 2-2 Reds & Mets. OMG this is a blast. Hee! Hee!

258. Patrick(ri) says:

Don’t you just get the feeling this won’t end well ?

261. Steelag70 says:

Pennant chase baseball at it’s best….nice to see the Mets hanging in there with the Reds…Atl lost 5-0 to the Brew Crew…

262. Steelag70 says:

Also nice to see Walker getting hot down the stretch…especially with the long ball…

263. bizrow says:

My heart says I could not have put up with this stuff for 20 years

Then again, my heart says

Beat Em Bucs

264. Patrick(ri) says:

You can watch all three games at once on MLB/DirectTV. It is a hoot.

265. Nate83 says:

Mets first and second no outs

266. Steelag70 says:

Come on Charlie…hope I didn’t jinx him…lol.

267. Barb says:

Beautiful DP.

268. Patrick(ri) says:

There you go, raining on my wishful thinking — Morneau redeems.

269. Steelag70 says:

Ground Chuck delivers two all beef patties right there folks!

Nice way to end that inning :)

271. Steelag70 says:

Two dominant starts in a row for Charlie…Ace-like starts…

Looks like they’re really intent on watching the end of the Cardinals game.

273. irishjim says:

Maybe. One run isn’t going to win any games next week that’s for sure.

OK gonna shut down the puter and go watch this upstairs…hang in there Bucs!

275. Mrevo says:

Here we go with the 1-0 games again.

276. STL up 4-2 now on Wash.

277. Steelag70 says:

As long as they win, fine by me…

278. Barb says:

Night Jandy.

279. Barb says:

Night all. It’s been a long day and my bed is calling,

280. KenKopp says:

Nice play Niel. Wow.

281. KenKopp says:

20 more minutes Kid. Hang in there.

282. Steelag70 says:

Ground Chuck serves up yet another double patty!!

283. Steelag70 says:

Reds have Billy Hamilton at 2B with 2outs…bottom 8th…

284. Reading says:

You just know the Cards-Nats will either go into a prolonged rain delay or 19 innings- just to extend the anticipation.

285. Steelag70 says:

Left stranded at 2B…on to the 9th, still 2-2

Morton showing no signs of tiring, pulled after 89 pitches.

287. Patrick(ri) says:

Mark a shark again?

288. Steelag70 says:

Reds bringing in Chapman with a tie game…

289. Patrick(ri) says:

Your earlier post about foreboding pays here.

290. Patrick(ri) says:

Plays

291. Steelag70 says:

Ok Shark…let’s do it…

292. Reading says:

Defensive replacement: this is serious now.

293. Reading says:

Tired of that guy.

294. Patrick(ri) says:

This Bogasevek gets all the luck! Two dubious calls, followed by hits.

295. Reading says:

Hurdle said Mercer finishes every game he starts. I guess not. We’ll see if it works.

296. Mrevo says:

Why?????????

297. irishjim says:

Hurdle puts the now broken Melancon in there when Morton clearly had another inning in him. More great managing. Season ends in 8 days thanks to CH.

Gee, who didn’t see that coming ?

299. DJ says:

Difficult patch for Melancon. Seems more worried about the runners than the batter.

300. DJ says:

Where’s Watson?

301. Mrevo says:

Hurdle, you suck, fire this moron now!!!!!

302. Cobra39 says:

A great start by Morton gets wasted.

303. Reading says:

Better hope the Cards take 2 of 3 from the Nats.

304. Steelag70 says:

Reds have winning run at 2B with no outs…

305. Mrevo says:

But hey, not like the offense couldn’t have scored another run or two, but really what is wrong with hurdle, he must be drinking again.

306. irishjim says:

That’s 4 times this week that CH has mismanaged the starting pitching. He is awful!

307. Nancy52 says:

The second in a row!

308. Hell Unleashed says:

What a shame…four Pirate starters have been pitching their keisters off. They deserve better.

309. Reading says:

Just a bit outside the pole.

310. Patrick(ri) says:

Didn’t Blylevin demand a trade because Tanner kept pulling him like this? For those with long memories, not to mention teeth.

311. Stuart says:

Nice strategy “Petey”.

Real tough one for Charlie.

Value a just missed, then the Shark K’s him.

Stuart

Grumble, grumble.

313. Steelag70 says:

Ok, let’s get it back…

314. radio wave says:

Cubs radio said that if Alverez had maintained his position instead of jumping around trying to hold the runner he could’ve made the play on the ball.

According to Rock, Pedro was out of position, which led to the run.

He even quit & went home for a while.

317. Reading says:

Need a hero.

318. Mrevo says:

Dumber than a bag of rocks

Melancon has blown saves in 3 consecutive appearances.

320. Chuck H says:

Once again our manager, Dumbhead Hurdle takes out the pitcher who has blanked the
    Cubbies for 7 innings and puts in the reliever who has blown the last 3 saves for us.
    What does he have against a starter pitching a complete game? And if the hitless wonders had scored a few more runs, it would have been a lot easier for Morton.
    GO, STEELERS!!!

321. Stuart says:

VALBUENA. Curse spell checks. Let’s go Barmey.

Stuart

322. Mrevo says:

Apparently the Pirates will live or die with Melancon

323. Reading says:

PH Jones. He usually does well against the Cubs.

324. Steelag70 says:

Snider has more clutch hits as a PH…

325. Reading says:

Jones is from Chicago.

326. Stuart says:

Partway!

Stuart

327. Cobra39 says:

Clutch HR from Marte!

328. Reading says:

MARTAY PARTAY¡!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!

Rehire Clint!

330. I see we brought the putrid offense with us on the road trip, but then again it wasn’t there much on the homestand either. I was at the last three and even though they won one and had the great chance to win the other, they did not hit. Marte now hits one, so I take it all back 2-1!!!!!!!!

331. Cobra39 says:

Of course, now we have to endure the adventure of Grilli in the 9th.

332. Steelag70 says:

Welcome back to the Par-tay Senior Marte!!

333. Nate83 says:

And the Reds just failed to get a guy in from third with no outs.

334. Reading says:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

335. Reds fail to score in the bottom of the 9th with bases juiced.

336. Lad 9 says:

The first HR for little Smerling! Marte Partay!

337. JRay3 says:

The Marte Parte returns with a 9th inning solo blast to give the Buccos the 2-1 lead! Nice to see you Starling.

Mets get out of bases loaded jam in bottom of 9th as Reds fail to get RISP home in three chances, to extras they go!

338. Steelag70 says:

Reds had the the winning run at 3B with no outs in the ninth…ended up leaving the bases loaded…on to the 10th…

339. irishjim says:

Thank you Marte!

340. Dom says:

Three outs!

341. Steelag70 says:

Haha…you said it much better than me JRay…

342. Hopefully the weight of trying to help out in this race was lifted from Marte’s shoulders with that swing. He certainly reacted like that helped out a lot.

That’s the 2nd 9th inning homer he’s hit off Gregg this year.

344. Steelag70 says:

2013 Buccos = RESILIENT!

345. twentytwo22 says:

3 outs from the playoffs.

346. Dom says:

Watson in. I like that idea.

347. Steelag70 says:

He can say that one was for his son. ;)

Clint managing to win.

349. Stuart says:

Bring back the “grilledCheese”!

Whoops, Watson 2 the rescue!

Stuart

350. Steelag70 says:

Probably just to get Rizzo, but we’ll see…

351. “Elementary my dear” Watson on to pitch!

Whitey Herzog-esque. Ken Dayley for the lefty then Worrell finishes.

353. Steelag70 says:

Ugghh…come on Tony…

354. JRay3 says:

Yes he is love the move to bring Watson in to face Rizzo here. Not taking any chances.

355. Reading says:

Great pick by Morneau!

356. Steelag70 says:

Mets have the go-ahead run at 2B with 1 out…Chapman out of the game…

357. Scoop by Morneau!!!! 1 down!

358. Steelag70 says:

Two more baby!!

359. Stuart says:

2 outs to 90!

Stuart

360. Steelag70 says:

Let’s serve them some Grilled Cheese!!

Doesn’t have to worry about 162 games anymore. Every one matters. ;-)

But we knew that.

362. Steelag70 says:

Mets line into a DP to end the inning…wow…

363. Reading says:

Come on Ump!

364. Nate83 says:

Washington has 2 on and no outs in the 8th

365. Steelag70 says:

Runners at 2nd and 3rd with one out now…

366. Patrick(ri) says:

This ump has very bad judgement!

Grilli had 2 strike 3′s he didn’t get. Ridiculous.

368. These Umps blow! Strike three turns to ball four even though he was giving it to the Cubs all night.

369. Lad 9 says:

My God. That was a perfect pitch! Guy is awful back there.

370. Nate83 says:

Cards 4-3 , nats 2 outs man on 2nd

371. Lad 9 says:

Come on one more!

372. Morneau again!!! Two down on a great stop and force out at second. 4-3 gnats now down 1.

373. Nate83 says:

End of inning Cards still up 4-3.

374. Now he gives him the call. Idiot!

375. Patrick(ri) says:

I see, you have be clearly below the zone to get a strike call.

376. Patrick(ri) says:

The power of wishful thinking in action!!!

377. kr70 says:

don’t care what root sports says I’m rooting for the cardinals, still hope to win the division.

Dormie.

379. Cutch saved that play and the Bucs win 2-1 and win #90!!!!!!!

380. Dom says:

Well that was exciting.

381. Steelag70 says:

382. twentytwo22 says:

Morneau with a poor man’s Jeter play. lol

383. Lad 9 says:

Raise it! Almost as high as my blood pressure. My freaking word. WOW!!!!!

384. JRay3 says:

Behind another superb Charlie Morton start, a Jason Grill save his 32nd and solo jacks from Neil Walker and Starling Morton the Bucs take the first game of the series in Chicago 2-1 and there was nooooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Bucs earn their 90th win of the season and are three outs away in St Louis from clinching their first playoff spot since 1992.

The Bucs will go for the series win tomorrow night when Gerrit Cole takes the mound for the Bucs!

Let’s Go Bucs and Raise the Jolly Rodger!

385. twentytwo22 says:

#McClatchy90

386. Morneau very big on ALL three of the outs in the 9th inning! Awesome pick up.

387. Steelag70 says:

Grilli is slowly getting his confidence back,…..

388. Jay H says:

Grilli gives up a two strike hit, Byrd misses the ball, McCutcheon airmails it – and we get the guy at the place so Melancon gets the win……only the Bucs could pull that off

389. Steelag70 says:

Yeah….NO way we should have ever traded for that guy…

390. Dom says:

It’s hard not to root for the cards after that ending but I suppose it’s better if Washington would win.

391. Steelag70 says:

The Bucco Way!!

392. 90 wins and the playoffs. Who’d a thunk it?

393. Lad 9 says:

+ many. He paid for himself tonight. Alex who?

394. Night all. I’m going up to watch MLB to see if they show the Bucs celebrate!!

Morneau earned his pay in the 9th.

396. Cincy win in 10 3-2. Dang!

397. Stuart says:

Mornauwas certainly a great pickup!

90!

Stuart

398. Dom says:

Have a good one (as if you couldn’t after that game.)

399. bizrow says:

I will sleep well

Now, tomorrow>>

400. Dom says:

2 outs till the Pirates are playoff bound.

401. tdb1977 says:

2 outs to go!

402. Karen22 says:

I usually have low blood pressure. NOT TONIGHT!!

Peak to valley to peak! WOW!!!

403. Dom says:

1 out to go.

404. Dom says:

THE BUCCOS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!

THE BUCCOS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN OVER 20 YEARS, THE BUCCOS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!

405. tdb1977 says:

We are in the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

406. Steelag70 says:

PLAYOFFSSS!!!!!! You doom and gloomers can breathe now…..

It’s over kids. At long, long last.

408. Karen22 says:

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

409. Lad 9 says:

We are in the playoffs. I don’t know what to even do, but I am going to have a drink….the playoffs. Wow

410. Steelag70 says:

He may not be hitting, but his glove work has been OUTSTANDING…

411. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Adam LaRoche puts the Pirates into the playoffs!!!
    Life is sweet sometimes.

412. Reading says:

A GREAT NIGHT!!!!

413. Steelag70 says:

Haha….how ironic, eh??

414. DJ says:

Raise the Smerling!

415. Steelag70 says:

Now the Nats can take the next two from the Cards… ;)

416. Reading says:

You tell me they wanted to wait another day. No way!!!”

417. DJ says:

. . . I love that name.

418. JRay3 says:

The Pirates return to postseason baseball, congrats to Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle, Ray Searage and all the players that have made this such a magical season and one to never forget!

The next five games are the window dressing and jockeying for what hopefully turns into a division title or a home wildcard game.

This has been such a fun team to follow, their competitive spirit, the comradery, the resiliency this team has played with all season proves what a TEAM can accomplish. The Pirates proved all the naysayers and doubters wrong tonight.

Feels great to be a Pirate fan!

419. Dom says:

As one of the biggest doom and bloomer on thus blog let me just say, “Ahhhh.”

420. Reading says:

BREAK OUT THE ROLLING ROCK!!!!

421. JRay3 says:

Hey Playoffs maybe a year later than your moniker but none the sweeter! Just awesome!

422. Was wondering if I’d see it in my lifetime.

423. Eric Bowser says:

Finally.

Thank you Bob Nutting.

I remember now.

425. Dom says:

I just poured some water on myself, as I was directed.

I sure didn’t think so Lucky.

427. Steelag70 says:

This game tonight is what playoff baseball is all about….

428. tdb1977 says:

I am so happy tonight. This is an absolutely wonderful night. I cannot wait for the post season to begin now. This is a great night!

429. So Hurdle now has 2 plus-500 teams and 2 playoff teams.

No more of the “lucky streak in Colorado when they won 20 straight” argument.

430. Steelag70 says:

Time for a beer!!

431. Playoffs by 2012 says:

432. Dom says:

When are they going to start selling playoff gear.

433. And you’re several years younger than Biz and I.

434. Playoffs by 2012 says:

+2013

435. Reading says:

At least the single guys are. :)

437. Steelag70 says:

Exactly Lucky…hmmm..where are all those who were calling for his head earlier in this game? Ohhh they disappeared…CH may frustrate us with his moves at times, but he is a good manager..and just the one this team needed!

438. tdb1977 says:

+1 million

439. Steelag70 says:

Awesome Playoffs!! LOL

440. Lad 9 says:

Shout out to Lanny Frattare, who while not my favorite, took us through a lot of these years. There was nooooooooooooooo doubt about it!

441. Steelag70 says:

Well said JRay!!

442. pattonbb says:

It’s over, friends.

For the first time in almost 21 years, that phrase means something different. It means we don’t wait “’till next year” anymore. It means “next year” starts next week. Tonight, we celebrate the return of Pirate baseball in October. Tonight, we celebrate our return to the playoffs.

Fear the Bones, national league. We’re coming for you.

443. JRay3 says:

Have to give Clint Hurdle his due, as he joins Jim Leyland and Chuck Tanner as managers that took Pirate baseball to the playoffs.

He has gone from 72 to 79 to now 90 wins and counting and doing it with a flawed team. His ability to get players to buy into their roles and his ability to bring a group together is no small undertaking and deserves its recognition.

Like you said above just the man this team needed and at a time they needed someone like him the most.

444. Dom says:

+15. One for every O.

445. bizrow says:

One step.
    Le5w enjoy

446. Steelag70 says:

He has now taken two teams to the playoffs out of nowhere, and was a part of the first WS trip in Rangers history…the guy knows how to get it done…I like my chances with him leading this team in the playoffs…

447. Lad 9 says:

Whatever happens in the playoffs, whatever good or bad bounces, misfortune, good fortune, wins, losses, highs, lows, thrills or heartbreaks, I will not forget this day. Thank you Bob, Frank, Neil, Clint, Ray, Cutch, Cheese and the rest. The nightmare is over. LETS GO BUCS!!

448. Dom says:

Where were you when the Pirates clinched a playoff birth.

449. Steelag70 says:

Break the streak = check
    Guaranteed winning season = check
    Clinch a playoff spot = check

450. Lad 9 says:

An excellent manager and a better man. Thank you Clint.

452. Eric Bowser says:

Hi fives……

This is so awesome

453. tdb1977 says:

Sitting on my couch and dealing with a work issue for the last 4 hours.

It’s still a little hard to believe.

Way to go Bucs!

455. diehard says:

Wow. Just wow.

456. Lad 9 says:

Glad you came back. We DID IT Plan!

Never thought I would live to see the day.
    So much stuff we had to endure to get here.
    So many bad memories to erase.

Bout Damn Time !!

Thank You 2013 Pirates……… for restoring faith that all things are right in the universe.

458. Naje says:

So proud of this team.

I only caught the last of the 9th, after the Blacklist was over. ;)
    Great game-ending play. Smerling’s dad should be proud.

As should all Pirate fans for enduring 20 years of ugh.

460. diehard says:

A little tongue in cheek note about ESPN bias – on one side of the standings there’s a cool little “z” for clinching a playoff berth. On the other side of the column, there’s a 99.9% of us making the playoffs.

461. chethejet says:

finally a playoff team. No longer a laughing stock in baseball. Terrific year and one for the ages

I feel bad for people that look down on those of who love sports. They’re really missing out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

464. tdb1977 says:

If you are in Pittsburgh – the clubhouse store will have all gear starting tomorrow morning at 9 AM and they will be open until 5 PM.

465. Baywatch says:

Up here, Everybody! I haven’t read any previous comments yet: I fully expected this to be the only place I’d go tonight where a lot of people wouldn’t yet be happy that we made the playoffs! LOL!

466. Lad 9 says:

Would not be the same without you. Feels awful damn good my friend! :)

467. Steelag70 says:

Amen Milo!

Abso-whaten-lutely ?

+ us vs the stuffed shirts…………. ;)

470. Dom says:

Anyone else going to save their trib tomorrow?

This is up there with the fall of the Berlin wall.

471. Steelag70 says:

Bay…there were a few earlier in the game, but they scurried back to their holes…lol. Now if the Rangers can just make the playoffs and then they make it to the series with the Buccos..we will be set!!

472. Baywatch says:

Sitting here in our East Texas motel room, watching on mlb.tv with the wife on the rare night off. And what a way to clinch! Still can’t believe that goofy ping-pong play at the end! Only in baseball!

Abso-Bucn-lutely ! :D

Abso-Bucn-lutely ! :D

475. JD says:

Let’s Go Bucs! What a season. Great job by all.

476. Baywatch says:

“Set” is not a word I use anymore, especially in baseball, and even more SPECIALLY, WALLY (he said in his best Beaver Cleaver accent) with the Pirates!

477. Baywatch says:

Up here, TC!

478. Baywatch says:

Man! We got us a little New Year’s Eve type atmosphere here! Love Yinz!

479. Baywatch says:

Someboyd pop me an ARN City!

480. Lad 9 says:

+ many. I have never been able to have a friendship with someone who hates sports. Not sure what that says but me, but I don’t give a flying Wallenda either. Sports brings so many positives like today…

Exactly.
    How many MLB teams have a Pond? ;)

To you and your wife.

483. Baywatch says:

Up here, Eric!

484. Lad 9 says:

About me not but me

This is the best broadcast production from ROOT Sports all season

:-)

486. Lad 9 says:

Gotta be a t-shirt. Abso-BUCN-lutely.

487. Lad 9 says:

Fabulous job by ROOT

+ 2013. :D

489. Baywatch says:

I hate I can’t see that! Hopefully I get to see some video later. Are the Pirates celebrating?

490. Lad 9 says:

Hahaha. :)

Absobucinglutely.

Yeah, no kid eating cotton candy shots.
    Would love to see the grumpy old ushers at Wrigley now!

Always love hearing Savran and his knowledge.

493. Baywatch says:

+1 (I got my cape from Dracula, Honey!)

494. Baywatch says:

Aw! Thanks, TC!

495. cmat0829 says:

you are forgetting that he went from 57 to 72 the first year…..

I love when Teke gets choked up.

It’s about the name on the front of the jersey

497. Baywatch says:

+1, BOUDREAU! Up here AND consider yourself hugged!

498. cmat0829 says:

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!! The Buccos are in the playoffs and I couldn’t be happier. Not embarrassed to say the tears were flowing, right after the final incredible out…and especially when they interviewed Jeff Banister in the locker room.

So cool to see a group of guys accomplish the unthinkable— the incredible— and easy to forget that real human beings, emphasis on human, play this game that we take so seriously.

What an incredible call by Greg Brown on that final play…. I will never forget this moment but even more so with that amazing play to end it.

LETS GO BUCS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and congrats to all of you insane freaks that love sports and the Pirates enough to not only endure such a loooong drought but also to come together day in and day out to live and die with every lineup, every missed trade, every error, every questionable umpire call, every nailbiting victory and every depressing loss…. I RAISE MY GLASS to the Pirates organization — from top to bottom…but also to YOU FANS…. you deserve it!

Well said, guys.

Already some bragging on how the Reds clinched a playoff spot, showered and went home. They don’t understand. They can’t understand.

501. Steelag70 says:

Let’s get BUC-ed up!!!

502. diehard says:

Not a chance they get it. Go ahead Dusty. Say something.

503. Steelag70 says:

That’s why we despise them milo. ;)

504. bizrow says:

Beat Em Bucs

I love this club

I love the burgh
    I thank the big guy this is my home

Teke and Blass were additional gifts

505. Dom says:

It’s midnight already???

Karma.
    Just remember Karma.

It is truly a mean angry woman.

507. cmat0829 says:

You know, I think the Reds are doing the right thing, BECAUSE they have been to the playoffs recently, including last season. Which is why next year, when the Bucs clinch at least a wild card, I’ll want them to do the same thing… quiet acknowledgement only.

But this is so very appropriate for THIS team, THIS franchise, THIS fanbase…and Dusty can choke on his toothpick if he makes any comments about this.

I heard a lot of the Pirates players say just the right things tonight …and coaches, GM, etc…. this is special for the ‘band of brothers’, the organization and the fans and the city, but it’s “JUST ONE STEP” and it’s right back to work tomorrow.

508. cmat0829 says:

You know what, they take their share of grief from us, but I am really happy for Greg, Bob, Rock, Tim and Blass… they are fans, just like us, and they’ve had a front row seat to yeeeeaaaars of losing..unlike us, they can’t turn off the tv or radio (or throw something at it) and go do something, anything, else…they have to watch all 27 frustrating outs…..

Feel real good for these guys, too.

509. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Pirates and playoffs….Two words I often wondered if I would ever hear grouped together again.
    Way to go Buccos!

510. Lad 9 says:

Well said Biz. Echo…

They showered and went home because they don’t like each other

:-)

512. cmat0829 says:

“This is something we haven’t done in a whole generation, really,” Banister said. “After 28 years in the organization (as a player and coach), it means the world to me. It’s a thank-you to every one of those fans in Pittsburgh, because it means something to them.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4752320-74/pirates-field-cubs#ixzz2fmQruqen

514. Lad 9 says:

Thank you fellow bloggers. Reading the posts tonight, and every night really, tells me that I am a humble member of a very special community. Thanks to all who posted and shared their feelings on here tonight. It was truly special.

You know Daquido, I am happy for you.

You have been pilloried on many different blogs, attacked , told you were never a Pirate fan…………. but I knew what you went thru. You always said you cheered for the Bucs, and wanted to see effort from the team. Others interpreted your criticisms that you werent a fan.

ALL Pirate fans deserve tonight’s victory.
    Its been a long ride.

BTW……… the snorkeling was good too. ;)

517. Lad 9 says:

Glad the minesweeping guys did a good job…:)

:D

HA!

519. Daquido_Bazzini says:

All I ever wanted was to see the correct effort from this organization.
    As this year has proceeded….They have done that by acquiring Martin, Byrd, Morneau, etc.
    That’s all I ever asked for….Thanks for your kind thought.
    You and everyone else has been waiting for this for far too long.

520. tanschmidli says:

As DK stated on Twitter, congrats to Bob Nutting. He’s been targeted more than anyone in recent memory here in Pittsburgh and quite honestly, most of it was ridiculous and unfounded. He laid out a plan and, although the execution of the plan has not always been perfect, that plan is finally starting to come to fruition. Kudos to him for staying the course the last few seasons during the collapses when many wanted an entire new regime brought in. One of the most exciting things about this organization now is how they are set up to do this for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully, as a fanbase, we can finally dismiss with the ridiculous “no more than 5 mil/yr” conspiracy theories among others.

It’s a GREAT day to be a Buccos fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

521. Daquido_Bazzini says:

And you see what happened after they finally paid players like Burnett, Liriano, Martin…Along with late acquisitions like Byrd and Morneau.
    Without the purse strings being opened “a bit”… We wouldn’t have seen this playoff run become a reality.

522. John Lease says:

MY STRATEGY WORKED!

Frigging Melancon, you jabroni!

523. florida steeler says:

Alex Rios was four of four and hit for the cycle. He would have been a good pickup.

524. Tanschmidli says:

You said a lot of crap over the years that was just plain false. Don’t sit here and act like they made a run because they finally did what you preached. You were wrong about Nutting and NH A LOT!!!!

525. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Made the run because of what was preached by ME?…lol.
    Again….They finally did what was necessary to get the team over the top.
    That is all that MANY people have asked for.
    Enjoy it or go to bed….