Final: Pirates 8, Cubs 2

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (90-67) vs. Chicago Cubs (65-92)

Starters: RHP Gerrit Cole vs. LHP Chris Rusin

Time: 8:05 p.m.

Site: Wrigley Field, Chicago

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jordy Mercer, SS
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Marlon Byrd, RF
  5. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  6. Russell Martin, C
  7. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  8. Josh Harrison, 2B
  9. Cole, P

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates pageRob Biertempfel and Travis Sawchik are on the scene.

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

TUESDAY OVER/UNDER!!!

Looking for the current standings???

******PLEASE READ WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW******
    PLEASE PLACE YOUR “WAGERS” AS REPLIES IN THIS COMMENT BOX
    Makes my job a helluva lot easier when I don’t have to hunt to find everyone’s “wagers”

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

NEW PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME & ENCOURAGED!!

Tonight’s Line
    Total Combined HITS + RBI’s by Andrew McCutchen and Marlon Byrd in tonight’s game
    Line is 3.5

GOOD LUCK!!!

Magic Number to Clinch the #4 Seed: 6

Anything is possible if a person believes
    Mark 9:23

KEEP CALM & GET HOME-FIELD

2. Armeen says:

A little surprised Hurdle didn’t use Sanchez. But I guess saving him for Liriano these days?

3. Bill Born says:

I00 units on over ,Please

I find myself anticipating Cole’s starts now more than any Pirates pitcher in a long, long time. It is great to see a talented flame-thrower grow and improve with just about every start.

5. Karen22 says:

100 CutchByrds on the OVER.

ONWARD!! :)

6. Last night:

I cheered.

I smiled so broadly my jaw began to hurt.

I screamed so loudly my voice was raw this morning.

I cried. (Don’t tell anyone or I beat you up!)

7. Damon says:

100 on the over please – thanks!

8. Nate83 says:

Can I go all in? I’ve lost like 600 units this month.

100 on the over. Thanks.

9. toochca says:

Groat cried!! So did I!!

10. blazer says:

100 on the over please! Hopefully in the first couple innings..

11. Nate83 says:

I was just thinking yesterday that I anticipate Cole, AJ, Morton and Liriano’s starts more then almost any pitcher’s for the Pirates over the las 6 or 7 years. Maybe early on when Gorzalanny and Ollie where pitching good I had a little anticipation.

I agree Cole is at the top of the list for me because of his youth and the fact that he is starting to mix in more pitches so you really don’t know what you will see for him from game to game as far as getting hitters out. The other 3 you kind of just know what is coming and that is why all their ceilings feel like a number 2 or 3. Cole looks like he could eventually have 3 out pitches. That is exciting.

12. blazer says:

There’s no crying in Baseball!!

13. Nate83 says:

Groat and Toochca cried!! So did I!!

14. kr70 says:

100 on the under…..and thanks

15. Chuck H says:

I’m sure Cole can and will hold the Cubbies in check, but for goodness sake, let’s
    score some runs for him. I think about 4 should be enough.Also, I would sit Pedro
    against the lefty and play Walker at 2nd and Harrison at 3rd.

Remote manager Chuck H.

16. toochca says:

Thanks! I will call you Jimmy Dugan from now on!!

17. toochca says:

I would like to think they will be playing a bit more relaxed today. Not “butt puckered” like they seem to have been in the last few games (Except for the starting pitching).

More relaxed approach = more confidence = more runs!!

18. toochca says:

Groat is going to beat you (and me) up!! :D

19. War Horse says:

Being six hours ahead in time (I live in England), I woke myself up this morning at around 0330 in time to watch the 8th & 9th innings at Wrigley live on MLB-TV. When the Cubs tied it in the bottom of the 8th, I felt so depressed I thought seriously of going back to bed and watching the rest of it later in the morning. But I couldn’t. I’ve been a Pirates fan since 1947, when I was a kid growing up in Ohio, and I had to see how this one turned out. Not because it could have clinched a WC spot, but because the competition among the top three in the NL Central is so intense and our Buccos are in it for the first time in two decades.

When Marte hit his HR in the 9th, I clapped my hands over my head and cheered out loud in front of the computer screen, though there was no one to celebrate with other than my three cats who are definitely not baseball fans.

Thirteen seconds elapsed between the time Grilli let go of the final pitch to the moment the ball had come all the way back and Russell Martin raised his hand with the ball in it and the umpire called the runner out. In that time, my emotions went from low (on the hit) to lower (as Byrd missed the ball) to hopeful when Morneau caught McCutchen’s throw and turned to relay it home, to absolutely ecstatic when the call was made. As a result, my spirits have been higher than a kite all day today and it has been a beautiful, warm, Indian Summer’s day in southern England.

I remember watching the 1960 WS and the feeling at the end was something like that this morning…not as high, but close. The truth is: when the Bucs win the World Series, you feel good for months and months and months. I feel truly fortunate that it’s happened three times in my lifetime and I’m grateful there’s now a chance for another.

DK: You coming to the game Sunday, War Horse?

20. Karen22 says:

Oh YES there is! Lovely, drippy, cleansing tears!!

I cried, too. (But I cry over anything – these were special tears)..

By the way, Tom Hanks’ “There’s no crying in baseball” is my computer email alert. I gotta laugh every time he pipes up!

21. Kevin says:

I want to win this one… all 100 petunias on the OVER please Mr. Playoffs sir!

22. TCB says:

75 on the over. Thanks.

23. Kevin says:

I agree… we could use another laugher… hopefully the boys didn’t party too hard last night.

24. Steelag70 says:

“Playoff Fever, CATCH IT!!!”

25. Pucknutz says:

100 over

26. Tom P. says:

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

27. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

100 on the over. Cutch does it by himself!

28. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Best name in this lineup: Cole.

Hope he continues to dominate this month.

29. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I didn’t cry…might’ve welled a little, but not tears for me.

30. cmat0829 says:

100 over … Cutch has struggled at the plate the past 4-5 games, and we need him.

31. cmat0829 says:

my guess is martin sits out tomorrow’s day game…. we are going for the division, can’t sit Martin tonight.

32. War Horse says:

You bet, DK… The Steelers are due to win one.

I like that lineup, Chuck.

Milwaukee roughed this guy up in his last outing after he held them to two runs over seven inning the first time around.

Rusin’s first start against the Pirates resulted in a two run, seven innings performance.

I’m sayin theres a chance…

34. cmat0829 says:

Much talk about the pickups of Martin and Liriano… and a lot of the other moves NH has made, but what about keeping the faith in Morton?

Big risk of him coming back and pitching this way after TJ surgery…. and he is very, very good right now… better than he ever has been.

As we move forward to 2014, the rotation is in very good shape. Liriano, Cole and Morton are a great foundation. There is a possibilty that AJ and Wandy round out the starting 5… lots of depth with Locke & Cumpton. Taillon will be coming in June (Cole-style) and that gives the Bucs a lot of flexibility….

35. Karen22 says:

Nice story! My husband was so disgusted when Melancon blew the hold that he jumped out of his chair, shouted, “I can’t take this anymore! I’m not watching the rest of this, or tomorrow, or the Pirates EVER again!” And he stormed off to bed, leaving me alone to celebrate with the Pirates until I finally dragged myself to bed at 1:30 a.m.! He’s been very quiet all day – hasn’t said a single word about missing what we’ve been waiting for for 20 years! Not one word!

Man, I love that observation.

I’ve been thinking all day how amazing it is that Charlie Freakin’ Morton won the game that put the Pittsburgh Freakin’ Pirates in the playoffs.

Not just because for surviving Tommy John, but for surviving 2010. Wasn’t that some crazy stat like the worst starting pitching performance in history over a given stretch? Talk about a beaten man.

Incredible to think how far he’s come.

37. Nate83 says:

And you correctly supported him this year. Guy has been solid. It’s almost like between him and Locke we got a full year of unexpected good starting pitching.

38. Brandie says:

100 units on the over please my good window!

I was thinking the same thing. And keep him away from AJ next year. ;-)

40. Naje says:

Technically, Morton didn’t get the win, but I agree with the argument earlier today that he should have gotten it.

He’s due for at least a $3M raise next year in arbitration… probably make something north of $5M. And if he pitches well next year, I’d offer him a 3 year deal after that.

100 Wildcards on the OVER, please.

42. Brandie says:

I cried this morning and screamed so loud my dog got the shakes! I missed the end because I fell asleep. I was so dang tired. Imagine my surprise! And Penn State had some if its sanctions reduced so they can grant more scholarships. WOOOO FLIPPIN’ HOOO!

43. Brandie says:

GOOD EVENING FROOT LOOPS!

44. toochca says:

Evening!! Still middle of the afternoon here for me though!!

45. John Lease says:

Oh my, it looks like Clint hasn’t gotten over his Josh Harrison obsession.

Barmes not starting again though makes me happy enough.

This is faster than I expected, but I was a believer in the 2011 transformation, and it was obvious how much his injury affected him last year. The control has been the only surprise. Never thought he’d get that much feel so quickly.

That being said, he’s gotta work on that change this offseason. Teams are gonna stack their lineups with lefties next year against him, and he still can’t get them out.

47. Brandie says:

How’s it going too chic one?

48. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

The best mid season acquistion.

49. Lad 9 says:

100 playoff clinchings on the under please. Thank you. Go Buccos!!

50. Brandie says:

Makes me believe we can all conquer our personal demons and rise from the ashes!

51. toochca says:

Good!! Trying to get some work done… Not having any luck!

52. Lad 9 says:

BRANDIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

53. toochca says:

Not sure you could call me chic though, but thanks!!

Have you seen that number somewhere? Seems like a lot considering a $2m base salary and only 2/3 of a season worth of value.

He’ll pitch next season as a 31 year old. I know his age always surprises me.

Given the injuries, I think I’d rather wish him best of luck in getting one nice pay day after next season.

55. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I agree. I was on board with him in 2011. I liked the command and movement.

Seems to be even better this year.

56. Brandie says:

LAAAAAAADDDDD NIIIIIIINNNNNNNEEEEE!

Beautiful!

58. toochca says:

Him and Cole have been the best two!!

59. Brandie says:

It’s like a call to party for me!

60. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Holy crap, 31?

Thought for sure he was late 20′s. Big difference actually.

I agree, I’m not signing him long term, perhaps this offseason sign him for a year + option.

61. Brandie says:

Been my takeaway from this whole magical season. Thanks to everyone on the team and on the blog for making this even better!

This could end up being stupid since for all I know his arm isn’t still attached to his body with capable ligaments, but allow me to plug Jeff Karstens for the Charlie Morton Player of the Year award next season.

Somebody is gonna sign that guy for pennies. I’d prefer it be the Pirates.

I just have to say that I absolutely love your perspective, Brandie.

Thank YOU.

64. Brandie says:

The best can only get better! Hey Temptress!

Did you say party?

See you on the game thread………. no drinking! ;)

66. Lad 9 says:

LOL. Same here. I always smile. Leaving working now and will be on later. Lets go for the division!

67. Brandie says:

Glad to be of service! Remember, the true ones were there…from train wreck to triumph, we were ALWAYS there!

68. Vette60 says:

100 Bucco Playoff Bound Bucs on the over please!

Take care,
    Randy in RVA.

69. Jason81 says:

100 on the UNDER, please!

70. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Its always a possibility. I would assume the Pirates would look into it.

Do you take him over one of the many younger arms?

Cumpton, Johnson come to mind.

The difference is that Morton had surgery. And guys who have surgery seem to come back better /or as good as before.

Karstens didn’t have surgery did he?

72. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Funny you bring that up Brandie.

Last night, Stan Savran mentioned all the fans, even the ones that left and are coming back, he said “welcome back” blah blah blah

I was like, no, get the hell outta here, you left, enjoy your Yankees not making the playoffs.

Kinda selfish on my part.

73. toochca says:

Until we know what AJ decides to do and whether Wandy will pitch again, he has to be considered.

Absolutely. Karstens was doing the groundball schtick before it was all the rage and in front of guys like Ronny Cedeno. If he’s healthy, I put him down for 100+ sub-4 ERA innings as a starter without a doubt.

Which would be perfect in the event that Jameson Taillon makes the jump next year.

If somebody like Jeff Locke is a casualty, then that just means the pitching staff is that much better than this year.

I know, right?

@TC

Jeff did have shoulder surgery, but even moreso, he was still a fine pitcher while dealing with issues.

Even without a bump in performance due to surgery, I think he could improve based on the defense around him.

77. Resident blog name-giver, Phoenix Brandlita,
    rising from the ashes like Morton and this
    entire ball team. I like the sound of that.

You and Groaty need to form a partnership on that.

Jandy is pretty good at it, too. Just ask El Hippo Dorko.

78. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

OK all, I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. Though my spelling and grammar may not always prove true. (I do hold 4 degrees) However that doesn’t make me very good at remember things.

I need some assistance. I need advice/ideas on retaining information. I have a massive load of information that I need to retain, but always have a hard time doing so. I currently read the information, 1 chapter at a time and then go back after and highlight the important information and then review. Still an early process, not 100% sure it will work that way.

Any suggestions?

79. Dadtackular says:

100 mvp’s on the over

80. bizrow says:

100 on the over

Thanks Playoffs

I like your thoughts, one step at a time

“The view is real nice from up here”

Beat Em Bucs

Go like 60

81. stickyweb says:

I’ll take under for 100. Thanks.

82. I’ve given the third degree a few times, but never four.

One word, Ryan.

Osmosis.

:D

Or have your kids quiz you on it. They’ll help you.

83. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Believe me, I’ve fallen asleep to this stuff many times……..its that exciting.

84. In all seriousness, if it was the Bible I could help you.

But that Air Force stuff, you be on your own, man.

85. Brandie says:

I feel privileged for having seen it all! Let the others love the Yankees because it’s so easy to love a winner. I think you grow more when the love does not come so easy and all parties have to work and nurture it.

86. Brandie says:

Greetings and Salutations Revvie!

87. Matt hoffman says:

Hey Jim S.
    I am sorry to say that I cannot make it to Pittsburgh for the playoffs. I have been swamped with emergencies. Your offer was quite humbling and appreciated very much. The guys at the Sheriff’s Department (where I am a volunteer chaplain) knew I couldn’t make it over to Pittsburgh and got me a Pirates shirt and provided me the resources to go to tomorrow’s Cubs-Pirates game! Thanks again so much. Maybe next year I can Mosie over to the Burgh!!

88. toochca says:

I always found the best way is to revisit the information as much as possible. Doing what you are doing now and adding flash cards to the mix might also help. Plus it’s easier to carry the cards around than the books. The more times you make your brain cover the material, the more processing it has to do with the material.

Can you put the material on an audio media and listen to it while driving? It never worked for me, but I have ADD and can’t concentrate on more than one thing at a time.

Ooooooooh! Shiny penny!!

Good Luck!!

89. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Understand.

so if you had to study the bible and then test on it…how would you study it? Or how DID you study it?

I’ve done this quite a few times and can’t figure out a good habit to help me…

90. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I can……but like you….SQUIRREL……..what was I saying?

91. If you do, Matt, let us know here on the blog. Our church wants to help you out as a missions outreach. R and R for a minister is vital. Take it from someone with a few years in it.

92. Karen22 says:

Brandie, you’re an Animal! ;)

93. MarkV says:

I’ll take 50 on the under. Thanks.

Beat ‘em Bucs.

94. The difference is the Bible is a heart (spiritual) book and even people with a lower intellect like myself can get it in their hearts by reading, memorizing and speaking it. I’ve seen people memorize the Bible that literally can’t read.

Then, when the situation arises, it rises up to our head from our heart. Ex. I got mostly straight A’s in Bible College, but had between a C and D accum in college. The mind is the gateway to the heart.

You don’t have that advantage with Air Force detail or even history or math. It’s all head knowledge. Wish I could be more help to you.

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to convert anyone. This is my belief and I am aware this is a sports blog. This is not meant to offend anyone who doesn’t believe the Bible.

8-)

95. Brandie says:

That is wonderful you were given the opportunity to go to the game tomorrow! To Jimster that was a wonderful gesture on your part. Just proves this blog is full of class! Good vibes to you all!

96. Brandie says:

Species undetermined!

No worries, Lucky.

:-D

98. Dave G says:

Sorry for being late to the party. So busy lately.

With the early success the Bucs enjoyed this season, ’82′ quickly became an afterthought for me.

Last night, the Pirates clinched a playoff spot and my deepest, humblest respect.

“We did it!”

For me, THIS is the moment that defines 2013 as a successful, winning season.

The playoffs? We BELONG there. We EARNED it. It isn’t a fluke.

5 games left to ‘bring it back to the ‘Burgh.’

Go Bucs!

99. BDHumbert says:

What they heck…

100 on the over….

100. Brandie says:

This is the game thread. And you’re telling me no drinking.

There must be a lot of us on here.

I love fishing.

102. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Totally agree (Though I’m a believer)

103. Great story, Lovely Karen!!!

104. BDHumbert says:

War Horse for post of the year!

It is awesome that you can watch MLB-TV in the UK…

My wife and I love talking via Facetime to our Grandsons in Greece…

Technology sure has made the world smaller…

LET’S GO BUCS!

105. Brandie says:

BRAVO!!!! + MANY!!!!!

106. bman says:

@playoffs

I’ll take 50 on the UNDER please

And I love the “keep calm & get home field”. – perfect!!

107. Brandie says:

Awesome post sir!

108. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window. What a day in Pirates lore, the day they play a baseball game again knowing they are headed to the POSTSEASON!

75 on the OVER

Thanks and Go Bucs!

109. Brandie says:

Good things come to those who wait, 21 years!

110. Irish says:

100 on Over, please.
    Keep firing… Let’s Go Bucs!

111. Nor Cali Ryan,

I learned in a Masters Psychology course that one’s memory is most receptive while one is sleeping.

So I was taking a Religion course for that same Masters, and I had to memorize 5 chapters of the Bible. I dutifully recorded the 5 chapters on a cassette (just before CDs) and pushed “PLAY” before going to sleep, with a speaker directly under my ear. The only thing I forgot to do was check the batteries . . . .

When I awoke the cassette was playing still: WWW-hhh-eee-nnn . ttt-hhh-eee . ddd-iii-sss-ccc-iii-ppp-lll-eee-sss . ccc-aaa-mmm-eee . ttt-ooo . JJJ-eee-sss-uuu-sss . . . .

I got the first eight verses perfect, but it took the whole hour for me to write them out, and I left the rest of the test blank!

112. War Horse says:

Three scientifically proven suggestions for improving your mental capabilities, especially over the age of 50:
    1) Get at least 12 minutes of aerobic exercize six days a week. 15-30 minutes a day is better, but 12 is the minimum. Walking fast, jogging, swimming–anything that makes your heart beat faster–all qualify. Playing golf, gardening, surfing the Internet do not.
    2) Eat a healthy diet heavy on vegetables and fruit. Cut way down on meat and sugar.
    3) Sleep 8 hours a night. Six won’t do it and ten are too many. Your body needs 8 hours to refresh itself, especially the brain.
    Trust me. I read the scientific journals including Nature, and also the summaries in Scientific American, etc., and the above three rules are the basics. You can actually grow new brain cells which will improve your mental capabilities to ROOT FOR THE BUCS!
    (This is a sports blog.)

113. Dejan,

Since you are off yesterday and today, you are/were not WORKING as a columnist for a major metropolitan newspaper on those days.

Seriously———did you have some kind of emotional response last night?

Man to man . . . . I won’t tell!

DK: Man to man?

None. Zero. I did for a little while, but a certain couple of somethings tipped it back into negative territory for a net zero.

114. Man o’ War,

Hay and oats!
    And I can’t remember the rest of the punch line.
    (I need to go and walk 12 minutes!)

115. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

holy cow…..that really works?

My wife just finished her Psychology degree. Trying to figure out which master’s direction she wants to head towards.

I have to try that….hard to believe it would work, but I have to find out, if for no other reason, to prove myself wrong.

that’s usually pretty easy to do.

116. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Wow thanks, but not over 50. ha ha

I workout every morning before work..(On my own, I’m not the Army, geesh), try to eat healthy and try to get as much sleep as I can, but I’m probably short of the 8 hours.

100 cryin’ units for the over please.
    Tears of joy and happiness are sweet :)

118. Net zero. Is that some kind of subliminal advertising, Dejan?

Your name is Dejan isn’t it?

;)

War Horse, you rock, friend! Thanks for sharing :)

120. toochca says:

It’s early but…
    Mets 4
    Reds 0

Top 2

4-0 Mets in the 2nd. Mike Leake doing his best Jeff Locke impression.

122. Pucknutz says:

Still want the Division – no sudden death one game nail biter.
    Bucs win tonight
    Reds and Cards lose.
    Step # 1

Beat em Bucs!

Leake’s done with 2 outs in the 2nd. Still time to get to Macy’s.

DK: Grand Theft Votto.

Sorry.

124. KenKopp says:

Wow, wow. I cannot relate to that response other than to say deep down inside I understand. I’ll be thinking about that for awhile.

DK’s doing a job. We are just goofing off with the National Pastime. Some of us take it too seriously at times. Myself included. Dude writes a short blog and we keep it going for hours on end. I can’t make fun of those who are addicted to reality TV anymore. But it is all OK. He has to stay emotionally cut off. Special trait.

To more serious topic. Go Bucs! Go Mets! and yes please Go Nats. I hang out at Nats spring training practice a lot. 10 minutes from home, free and you get to see some neat inside stuff if you get there early.

125. Stuart says:

Playoffs, please give me 50 (fifty) on the over.

Stuart

I meant to say “later”, doofanimal.

:D

127. Brandie says:

Leaks is aptly named.

Not everyone needs 8 hours os sleep. The most restful sleep is gotten between 10 pm and 4 am. I do well on 5 – 6 hours.

129. JRay3 says:

Something to consider as we look at the upcoming Reds series and implications for potential WC game and where.

The Pirates and Reds are 8-8 this season versus each other. If the Pirates were to have a one game lead going into the series and the Reds tie them by going 2-1, Reds get home field.

Only way Pirates can get home game at PNC and take 1 of 3 in Cincy is for Reds to lose both remaining games with Mets and Pirates to win remaining games with Cubs and Bucs take two game lead.

Simply put it is shaping up one way or the other that the reward for winning the three game set in Cincy is hosting the WC game if St Louis is not caught.

Oy.

You have my sympathy, Dejan.

Hello, People, animals, Reverends, and others. ( I wont go into %’s here. ;) )

I will be keeping an eye on the game thru you all here.

:D

133. Brandie says:

Good Evening Tattoo The Disco Hippo and Jandelina!

Howdy El Hippo Dorko, the coolest Hippo in the universe!

And the Reds have moved Latos up to tomorrow. No more unnamed rookie starting.

hey Hey Brandecita, my sistah!

Doofanimal !!!

See you later! :)

Darn right Puckers!

DK, no matter how their email invitation was worded you should have went on All Things Considered today. You could have plugged your blog, internet radio show, columns, twitter…. (of course I wonder if Rob B would have spoken to you ever again if you went on NPR :-)

Your former boss did a nice job with it.

140. KenKopp says:

What am I? Chopped live? Just kiddiny Brandie.

He seems to passive for that. Must be the medication.

142. KenKopp says:

I meant chopped liver.

I can’t wait to go on the Reds blog to see how many fans say
    “Dusty should have had someone warming up behind Leake as soon as they game started. He pulled him too late!!”

Happiest guys in the world – visiting clubhouse attendants at Wrigley Field.

145. Brandie says:

Hey Hey Double K!

146. Juan-Antonio Hippolito, aka El Hippo Dorko.

Good evening.

Didn’t know you were a southern hippo. But that “you all” gives it away.

147. Brandie says:

Be careful snorkeling.

148. The Justice Avenger says:

Evening All – As this day unfolded – It STILL is hard to get my hands wrapped around the fact (and it is a fact!) that our hometown baseball team is going to the post season. Still shaking my head. Ok, Buccos – - – let’s wrap this thing up over the next 5 days and get us a series at PNC Park next week. Have a good evening everyone! And, Beat ‘em Bucs!

Nah you’re Kool Ken ;)

150. toochca says:

Two days in a row!!

151. Brandie says:

Kind of creepy…the all seeing, all knowing eye of the Hippo!

152. The Justice Avenger says:

Yep, Milo…2 celebrations this week…

Oh it’s that Matt Ruebel guy.

TJA…it’s for real :)

Jandeci.

See you later!

156. Brandie says:

Amen! Avenger Away!

Reverend!

Good to see you.
    I may see you later……….. things to do.

PS — Nice offer to Matt H. above.

The Spunky Rev … hey :)

159. The Justice Avenger says:

Thanks, Jandy! Maybe just needed to hear it from another Loonie!

160. Brandie says:

Glad you like the handle “Double K”.

couple of somethings tipped it back into negative territory = twitter ?

You’re a nut!

Later, Beaker!

163. JRay3 says:

Hmm interesting, was not aware of that.

164. The Justice Avenger says:

Amen indeed, Brandie!

165. KenKopp says:

Hey Brandie. Hope we are still doing this in late October.

A Certified Loonie at that! :P

167. The Justice Avenger says:

LOL!

Ruebel???

169. The Justice Avenger says:

The “nickname girl” strikes again!! :) :)

170. Brandie says:

Crossing my fingers, eyes, and toes.

171. A left-handed Jeff Karstens from years ago.

172. The Justice Avenger says:

Righto, Puck!!

173. Brandie says:

Let’s bring Look and the Gang out of cryogenic storage and party like it’s 1979!

Ahhhh thanks Spinkster

This Cubs pitcher looks like & pitches like Matt Ruebel. Don’t know his name. Don’t care. I call him Matt Ruebel.

176. Brandie says:

Otherwise known as Matt “Barney” Reubel!

177. The Justice Avenger says:

+1!!!

178. Matthew Alexander Ruebel (born October 16, 1969, in Cincinnati, Ohio) is a former Major League Baseball pitcher who batted and threw left-handed. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 3rd round of the 1991 amateur draft, and pitched parts of three seasons in the majors for the Pirates and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

179. Brandie says:

DUM DUM DUM!!!!!!!!!!! (Serious Music)

He wishes he was as good as Jeff Karstens. Of course this year, we’re all as good as Jeff Karstens.

181. Brandie says:

Southern New Castle.

182. The Justice Avenger says:

:) :)

183. That’s from memory. Wiki-pedia need not be cited.

Makes sense to me Milo

185. The Justice Avenger says:

Gotta run for now….will check in later on the game…just a quick hi. Have a good one.

Ha! So you remember more than the Bible ;)

Same day the Miracle Mets won the World Series. Amazin’.

188. Brandie says:

Michael or Leon?

Spinkster that is… :-)

189. Brandie says:

You too Darlin’ .

190. Brandie says:

Rather Certified than Certifiable!

Hubs wants cherry turnovers….I’ll be watching but can’t post with sticky fingers lol

Andre Dawson’s got it.

193. Brandie says:

Yum! Save some for me!

194. JRay3 says:

El Toro with RBI #95, good guys take early lead.

195. Brandie says:

Way to reach back for that one!

196. JRay3 says:

Cole takes matters into his own hands with two out two RBI hit, crooked number time….3-0 Buccos!

Brian Kenny won’t care, but the way that kid handles the bat is going to win him a lot of ballgames.

That hit by Murphy was on a pitch registering 98 on the gun.

200. Lad 9 says:

Hey Jandy – we are watching a playoff team tonight! SMH and smiling like a camel on Wednesday. :)

201. pattonbb says:

Hello Jordy.

202. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

So I was reading through these while Jordy was up. Heard the wood, said Cya. Wife said sounds like it to me.

Sure enough.

Jordy!!!

204. Lad 9 says:

Still say he should have pinch hit in that 16 inning game….

205. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Twitter stocker

206. KenKopp says:

OK if we get to a Sunday home game in the payoffs we have to wear our normal jerseys. Byrd Man plays better with the unbuttoned shirt.

207. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Stalker too. SMH

That’ll be all for Matt Ruebel. Chris Peters coming out of the Chicago bullpen. :)

209. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

That’s usually my time frame. Or tries to be. At least the back end is

The 70′s throwbacks are not in the rotation, sadly. So there you go.

211. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Gaby hit that ball harder than Jordy did. If it had any elevation it would be out in whatever avenue that is.

Thank you Dale Svuem for putting In another lefty

212. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

When they were on that hot streak earlier in the season they stayed in the blacks.

213. toochca says:

Waveland?

214. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Looks like this one is in our favor.

Take advantage Russ

215. toochca says:

He shouldn’t change the call.

Take a good long look at Dale Sveum. I’m hearing if Joe Girardi doesn’t like what he hears when he meets with the Steinbrothers, he’ll pull the plug. The Chicago thing seems to have legs.

217. Patrick(ri) says:

Another crack umpiring team consults and gets it wrong. Wow, maybe they are on crack?

218. pattonbb says:

good stuff tonight, Milo.

woop woop!

Good to see you Rad Lad :)

221. florida steeler says:

I guess we can see why Hurdle is at the crossroads on the shortstop position. Jordy is a liability in the field but sure can hit lefties.

They were delish lol

Nice to see someone other than Hurdle argue with and p*ss off the umpire lol

Well nobody on the Cubs is wearing No. 3 so it seems like a good fit.

225. Brandie says:

Cannot think of a better choice for manager!

Agreed!

WoW. What a wind up..

228. Lad 9 says:

Right back at ya. Great to be in the house with my friends.

Broke out a 20 year old bottle of cognac to toast the Bucs last night and you know what? We hated it. Should have had the champagne of the common man, an ice cold frosty brew. Hoping that there will be more opportunity for that. Go Buccos – lets win this division!

Asti Spumante is the bomb!

230. Lad 9 says:

Almost as good as some of the wind up artists here in DK blog land. :)

We needed an interpreter for John Russell.

232. Brandie says:

OH YES! I will ride that train with you. Seeing Say Hey-Dro getting hot and Cutch being Cutch. Others are beginning to step up as well! Got liberated with getting the playoff spot, now let’s see where this cruise takes us!

233. Lad 9 says:

That it is. Will have some on hand when we beat Leyland and the Tigers in the series!

234. Lad 9 says:

LMAO Milo. The interpreter would have needed to know sign language!

With smelling salts.

Does he speak fluent mumble?

Does he speak fluent mumble?

238. Lad 9 says:

Choo Choo!!! You are on on that train ride! Or is it a cruise….

239. Tom P. says:

Nationals are getting no-hit through 6, down 2-0.

240. JRay3 says:

Nice to see the Nats putting a great effort together tonight as they are being no hit through six and it is Michael Wacha pitching for the Cards.

I’ll drink to that ;)

242. JRay3 says:

Pedro a 3 RBI night and everybody’s favorite whipping boy now has 97 RBI’s on the season and gives himself a real shot at 100 RBI season.

Nicely done El Toro.

243. John Lease says:

And with Walker coming in with the Pirates up 6-1, the Harrison obsession is cured.

Mercer hit another homer.

But Barmes looks tough, so he has that going for him.

244. John Lease says:

Wacha, wacha, wacha.

Fozzy Bear can NOT resist that.

I LOVE KICKING THE YOU KNOW WHAT OUT OF THE CUBS.

Even though I personally, am not doing it.

245. Brandie says:

You called? Or Do I Whip People Up Into A Frothy Yinzer Frenzy!?

Do I Feel A Bold Reaming Coming On?

Wacha Flocka Flame.

247. toochca says:

Bllop and a Blast (As the Gunner would say) ties it!!

248. Brandie says:

It’s a Transformer Train, Lad.

249. KenKopp says:

This has been one of the easiest games to watch all year. Scoreboard watching is killing me though.

250. Tom P. says:

Now through 7.

Is this really necessary?

“Everybody’s” favorite whipping boy?
    Stay classy, JRay.

For God’s sakes, we made the playoffs, and you are out trolling for people critcizing Pedro.

252. KenKopp says:

Cole’s a nut man. Better and better every outing.

60 pitches. 45 strikes, 15 balls. That Some Young Guy threw 21 balls in two thirds last inning for the Cubs.

pride.

255. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

He’s right. Just pointing out is production.

I’ve said since he came up, if he could hit .250+ he’d easily be a 40/100 guy.

4-2 Mets last of the 9th. Vic Black in to close. Avert your eyes.

257. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I like that…tell me more

Ryan, I think most on here realize Pedro will be a 35/100 guy.
    You are right, he needs to raise his BA to continue to excel.

I just found the whole” whipping boy” line in poor taste.
    And unnecessary…… since we are in the playoffs.

259. JRay3 says:

Plan – you are calling me out for trolling? I’m simply recognizing the great run production numbers of an individual that has been “trolled” all year and criticized all year.

Just happy he is the Pirates 3B and look forward to seeing him play in the playoffs the team just clinched!

260. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Probably.

261. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Interesting.

The Pirates traded their future closer?!

Just kidding

Still don’t care. Even if he saves 40 games a year for the Mets over the next few months.

262. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I think that every time I see/hear that name

263. Reading says:

Wet blanket: hope the Pirates don’t end up needing those potential runs left on base tonight.

Todd Frazier reaches on a strikeout/wild pitch with one out.

But again, was it necessary to call him “everybody’s whipping boy”?

I critcized Pedro early in the year, but I havent issued a peep in months.

I guess Hurdle, Barmes, Jones, Morneau also have to be everybody’s whipping boys also? They get far more criticism than Pedro does.

My original point to you stands, sir.
    I felt it was completely unnecessary.

Sad this cam from you.
    You are normally one of the better posters here, and I normally enjoy reading your posts. Doesnt mean I cant call out the unnecessary stuff.

266. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Phewww

All over. 4-2 Mets. 1st save for Vic Black.

268. toochca says:

Nice job Vic Black!!

Mets won.
    That kid from the Cards takes a no-hitter into the 0th.

270. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I think the whipping boy comment was spot on.

Or Barmes, take your pick.

271. Reading says:

Reds obviously “overcelebrated” last night.

272. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Playoffs or not. How much crap would’ve been slung at him tonight had he not produced?

Whipping boy.

To the 9th in St. Louis, no hitter in tact. Wacha’s thrown 99 pitches.

You are entitled to that thought Ryan.
    I simply disagree with you that it was necessary.

I am not saying it isnt true…… maybe you are confusing that point?

But still unnecessary.

You are entitled to that thought Ryan.
    I simply disagree with you that it was necessary.

I am not saying it isnt true…… maybe you are confusing that point?

But still unnecessary.

276. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Mercer again on defense.

Was that solo shot worth it?

277. Reading says:

Let’s revisit the defensive replacement talk. Pirates 6 Mercer/Cubs 2.

Maybe they should have celebrated.

279. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Ha ha on 0th

280. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

No confusion

281. JRay3 says:

Certainly is the never ending question of offense versus defense with that position huh?

282. Brandie says:

Oh so filling…like fries on a Primanti Brothers Sandwich, served with a cold Iron City beer while Donnie Iris is playing in the background!

Tempting enough for yinz?

283. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Also thanks for the entitlement….

I feel like I have elitist status now.

I kid, just bored

284. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Yea. My nod is always towards defense

Hmmmmmm.

Maybe I tried to honor the Star Trek movie I watched?

Math was never my strong suit.

286. Chuck H says:

Umpire calling balls and strikes is blind. He’s calling last pitch by Cole a ball and it was clearly in the strike zone via Gameday. Cole is ready to come out of the game, Mr. Mgr.
    He has lost his stuff, thanks in part to the home plate ump. Get him out of there mgr.
    GO,BUCS!!! Reds lost.

287. JRay3 says:

Now that is funny

288. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Can’t trust Game day dude

289. Brandie says:

Not perfect on every play is that one. As far as the homerun, I will take the extra offense every time.

290. Reading says:

For show, in the clubhouse, they simply got dressed and left. Then they all gathered at some undisclosed speakeasy and got hammered.

A dinky bouncing infield single breaks it up with 2 outs. HA HA.

292. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Still throwing 97….he’s fine.

293. JRay3 says:

Zimmerman on soft grounder breaks up no hitter.

Chapman brought the hookers.

295. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Raise your hand if you just screamed “oh no!” or any other choice words at the TV on that hit.

Thank you windy city.

296. Barb says:

Gerit managed to get out of that mess. Wheww.

297. Brandie says:

Milo, how do you know so much about Chapman’s Classy Chicks?

He is a “student” of the game, Brandie. ;)

299. Brandie says:

Greetings Bodacious One!

No-hitter in the “0th” broken up. ;)

301. Brandie says:

Passion! Pride! Milo!

302. florida steeler says:

Jordy seems like a really nice kid but he is brutal in the field.

:D

304. Brandie says:

He sure knows how to dig deep!

305. Brandie says:

It’s a final…Cards win. Boo!

306. Brandie says:

Passion! Pride! Hookers!

Voyeuristic reading of the police blotter.

308. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

That’s fine, but defense, especially at the SS position, saves more runs than it produces.

Yeah.
    But I created a new inning number tonight………. the 0th !

310. Barb says:

Hello lovely senora.

311. Brandie says:

Sounds like you should be on one of those Showtime Adult Naughty shows with that kind of behavior. ;)

312. Barb says:

Every inning it’s an adventure in the infield. Sheesh.

We have a Barb sighting………..

Basehit ? How will Pedro ever get to 30 / 30 ?

315. toochca says:

Does the 0th inning come after the -1st?!

316. florida steeler says:

Way to go Justin.

317. Brandie says:

That’s what the inning should be called when you have to go to extras, as in “0th sh#th, we didn’t get it done in 9!”

318. Barb says:

Oh that is a good one. LMAO

319. Barb says:

Unfortunately not for long. I will be closing down shop here soon. Late meeting at church which cut into my time here with you all but it’s nice to be seen.

Have a good night. :)

I cant count, so I have no idea!

322. Brandie says:

Go Buc’n Nuts Y’all! Playoffs 2013. It’s Been A Long Time Coming!

323. Steelag70 says:

Why is Morris in there??

Because Bruce Dal Canton’s dead ?

325. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Alex Presley is 0-4 tonight with 1 K.
    That is all….

326. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Must be a bad night for the future all star

327. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

No. It should be like the 19th hole…

328. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Did Ted Williams ever go 0-4 with 1K?

329. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Lost me on the Star Trek part

Wasnt Star Trek’s computers based on zeroes?
    Hence, the 0th.

331. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I can do without the Dawnie Irris part

332. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

I doubt it

Difference between 2010, and this year………..

in 2010, Farnsworth would have been counted on to be a closer, or at least set-up guy.
    This year, he is a last guy in the bullpen.
    And I am perfectly fine with that.

Much improvement in the teams makeup, eh?

334. Reading says:

Okay. Let’s get this last out. Morneau makes that play to end the game.

335. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

Glad the over won tonight.

#91

Clint Hurdles prediction isn’t looking so bad

336. Lad 9 says:

Raise it! Lets go for the sweep tomorrow!

I dont have any brooms.
    Can you help a brother out?

338. Lad 9 says:

A Hoover or a Dyson will work just as well. Just tougher to bring to the ballpark…. :)

I will leave the sweeping to you, then.

Funny story, I dated a girl who had Hoover as a last name in college.
    Really.

340. John Lease says:

Good thing Barmes booted two in his last start. Can’t miss out on that defense, huh?

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle