Podcast: Special guest star … you

Today’s TribLIVE Radio show featured a very special guest star — calls from several fans in attendance at PNC Park last night — in a slight stray from format.

Also, I discussed the Penguins’ opener with Trib beat man Josh Yohe and introduced @SuckMeter.

Here’s video of the opening segment with the calls …

Thanks to all!

Comments

1. Dave G says:

This crowd and this city was so starved for a baseball moment that they literally and passionately willed this team to a victory.

From the first pitch onward, there was no way that the Bucs were ever going to lose this game.

When Cueto dropped the baseball, I laughed out loud. I thought, ‘Wow. the Reds are rattled. Absolute toast.’

Looking back on this game, a few years from now, 300,000 people will have claimed to be there.

2. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Dejan – Excellent, excellent job on the podcast.
    Though I wasn’t in the crowd….It came across via TV on the other coast just as powerful as you described.
    This was the real thing…This was over 20 years of frustration, waiting, frustration, hoping, frustration, anger, sadness…..All thrown in together.
    And it helped to create one big victory.
    I think it’s far from over….

DK: Appreciate that you gave it a listen!

3. dcpinpgh says:

It will be this generations Maz’s HR

DK—I agree with Daq. I agree with just about everything you said on the Podcast describing the crowd, especially the blending part. I watched the last couple of innings with TC and his lovely wife, and we said to each other, basically, that the ” lost baseball generation ” had been found. And there were lots and lots of people like Skip and me and Biz, too. And EVERYBODY was on the same page. And I don’t think anyone in their wildest dreams could have predicted that reception and reaction. At least not the magnitude of it.

My son, who’s 16, didn’t even want to go at first, but he relented. I told him it would be something not to be missed, but I obviously had no idea it would be as good as it was. He’s obviously thrilled he changed his mind and attended. And “Dad” at least looked like he knew what he was talking about for once. :-)

DK: Did you hear the scene Josh described in his section? Must-listen material.

5. scapper says:

This was only the second time I’ve listened to the clip from the podcast. (I love reading about sports more than I like listening.) This was an outstanding segment. Great job of putting this into historical perspective. I had just emailed my brother about what last night meant in the whole scheme of our Pittsburgh sports fanatic lives, and I was trying to explain why last night will be one of the greatest sports memories, something we’ll return to forever. (No, neither of us was there.) DK and the callers, especially Skip, did a great job of trying to get a handle on the magnitude of what transpired. It can’t be exaggerated or over-estimated.

For what it’s worth, I, too, was at the Milner grand slam game. It was game 1 of a Sunday doubleheader, the culmination of a 5-game weekend series. I was also at the Friday night doubleheader that weekend. The crowds were ridiculous. I was also at the Friday night DH on the last weekend in ’78, still the greatest live event I’ve ever been a part of.

But neither of those compare to last night. What I felt sitting in my living room surpassed the emotions and euphoria of what I experienced at those live events.

I am still processing the magnitude of the event.

DK: Thanks for watching/listening, Stan!

6. KenKopp says:

OK DK. “No cheering in the press box.” I just watched the opening of your podcast. I can tell by your writing you are a professional, but I saw a passion of a Pittsburgh fan in you in that podcast. If you didn’t cheer, how hard was it not to with 40,000-plus making that energy level never seen at a baseball game before?

DK: This one NEVER gets old, does it?

I have passion for my city, I have passion for its people, and I have twice as much as all of that for my job. When there’s a night like Tuesday, all of that converges.

There isn’t the tiniest inclination to cheer. None. Ever. It gets beaten out of you so, so early in this process. And for me that was 26 years ago already. Even my parents still ask about it. :)

And if I can be blunt here — but real — it’s insulting to suggest otherwise, which is just what I tell them. This is what I do for a living, and I take it damned seriously. Ask anyone who’s done this for a living, and the story’s no different.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back