Steelers, Penguins to dominate ‘Final Word’

The joint venture between WPXI-TV and Trib Total Media continues Sunday night at around midnight — after NBC’s Sunday Night Football and the local news — with the latest episode of The Subway Final Word.

>> Who’s on the panel: I’ll be joined by Alan Robinson, the Trib’s Steelers beat man, and Mark Madden, top-rated radio host of 105.9 the X.

>> What we’re talking about: Steelers-Ravens, of course, and some Penguins.

>> How to participate: Each week, we also take comments from viewers through 20-second videos you submit on The Final Word’s Facebook page, as well as comments to The Final World’s Twitter account

>> Where to watch: In addition to the regular broadcast on WPXI-TV, we have WPXI’s live online stream for Pittsburgh’s many out-of-town sports fans, as well as video podcasts available on both outlets’ Web sites.

Here’s last week’s full episode, and here’s one clip from that show about the Steelers’ rushing attack …

Really hope to have you along, not only watching but also joining in!

Comments

1. Pucknutz says:

No morning coffee thread.
    So I will put it here.
    Nice to the Flower shake off that bad goal .
    That is all.

Steelers, Penguins to dominate ‘Final Word’

Dominate?

Then the Steelers and Penguins are the Alabama, Florida State, Oregon of the ‘Final Word’.

At least I didn’t have to include Old Dominion.

4. Stuart says:

Yes, the O.D. butterflies came close.

Stuart

5. hockeymonster says:

Was wondering if DK or anyone else can look up the stat to see how many odd man rushes we’ve had for and against thru 8 game vs. first 8 games last few seasons?

And I’ve been biting my tongue about this for a few games now but after that penalty shot effort im just gonna blurt it out…when do we start to expect more from sutter? I know he gets tough assignments and the team is winning…but offensively it seems like he’s very limited protecting the puck along the boards and his vision and passing ability is suspect. Never expected him to be the horse Staal was but he’s not a 1st or 2nd year player anymore…he should be showing signs of improvement instead of just being a steady one dimensional player. A winger like Bennett or anyone with any amount of speed and skill won’t fulfill their capabilities playing with sutter unless he gets stronger along the boards and uses the extra time and space to make atleast a couple plays here and there. TK was able to play a give n go game down low while cycling with Staal cuz staal was able to hold onto the puck and give Cooke n TK a chance to move their feet n get open…with sutter im just seeing a chip n chase game with no cycle after solid positional defense.

Looks like moving engo to RW was precursor to Maatta staying. He has nothing to prove in juniors so if they can make the roster work so be it. This summer I had a post saying Maatta would be competing for a spot on Letang’s pairing in a couple seasons. Never ever thought wheels would already be in motion for that. He’s not the smoothest looking skater but he’s a pure hockey player.

Anyone know why connor was called up with HZ ready to go? Haven’t we seen that fish before? He’s a decent player with decent skill but he didn’t hold up to the grind last time he was here so not sure what we expect now. I like his tenacity and skill but not sure we’ll get a different result.

I know vitale is great on faceoffs but Jeffrey won a spot out of camp ahead of him and hasn’t done anything to lose it. I know vitale plays with more sandpaper than Jeffrey but he’s also capable of bad turnovers, poor positional play(look at 3rd GA yesterday) and bad penalties. Jeffrey is more steady n sound and has created quite a few scoring chances with instinctual play along the boards and quality vision n passing ability. If he ever decided to finish a check maybe bylsma would think differently.

Oh and not sure how to make this work cap wise but pens should try to get Steve Ott out of buffalo for playoff run. Especially if injuries give us cap room. He can play center or left wing on any line.

DK: That’s stuff only assistant coaches would have. Maybe someday.

Odd man rushes? I’m up for that.

Not sure we’re talking about the same thing.

7. Eric Bowser says:

- Never seen a website listing odd-man rushes, if there’s one out there, I’d love to see it.
    - Was disappointed in Sutter’s playoff showing and he’s not changing that offensively this year.
    - Engelland is no Ian Moran… and that’s a sad thing to say.
    - Maatta is the real deal but I hope everyone keeps their expectations in check.
    - Baffling decision by Shero to recall the might midget with Harry Z up… very strange.
    - Been a fan of Jeffrey, which is why I was surprised to see he decided to come back
    - call me crazy but I don’t want any older guys coming this year. Stick with the team that you brought and go for the Cup. Limit the distractions and disruptions to chemistry.

If Pens are going to do anything, they need to keep getting younger and prefer that be a big winger for third line.

8. hockeymonster says:

Steve Ott is only 31 and will go thru a wall…make that 10 walls to get a sniff of the cup. He’s everything we wanted from Morrow last season but still in his prime.

9. kr70 says:

aren’t they in the south? and east? and in a conference?

—————————–
    I won’t call you crazy, but it may be crazy to take this stand 8 games into the season. A lot can happen to a team now until the trade deadline.
    Get back to us at the deadline.

11. Sarah says:

Yeah dunno if that stat is tracked anywhere, but it has been my impression (fwiw) that there have been far fewer thus far.
    Certainly very few the first 3 games….

I can’t tell you how that simplifies life for the goaltenders. I attribute much of MAFs solid play to changes defensively….

But I would sure love to see cold hard stats, as Hmonster says….

I just blame Sunseri if anything goes wrong,

Anyone know if he is playing football anywhere?

Anyone know if he is playing football anywhere?

15. hockeymonster says:

31 is old? Geez…ok…but I guarantee you shero will look for a steve ott like player…and you can call me crazy if you’d like…been called worse.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back