Final: Cardinals 4, Red Sox 2, World Series Game 2

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: St. Louis Cardinals vs. Boston Red Sox, World Series Game 1

Series: Red Sox, 1-0

Starters: RHP Michael Wacha vs. RHP John Lackey

Time: 7:37 p.m.

Site: Fenway Park, Boston

TV, radio: Fox (national), ESPN Radio 970

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Major League Baseball page.

Comments

Being this is the World Series thread, I would like to say
    Happy World Food Day!

I will be watching the NFL game tonight.
    Here is hoping for a 0-0 tie, or both teams use illegal substances and both teams have to forfeit. ;)

Oh, and I wish Jim Leyland was in this WS.
    That is all.

I heard St. Louis Hurdled themselves a new shortstop tonight.

Or would that be UnHurdled?

Anyway, it’s being reported elsewhere that Kozma is sitting.

3. Maybe they can play Holliday there. Shore up the defense.

8-)

4. scapper says:

New World Series drinking game. Each time McCarver or Buck uses any of the following words while talking about Fenway, take a slug:

“Quaint, fabled, storied, majestic, magical, historic, tucked-away, jewel, cozy, grand”

You’ll be throwing up by 8:55. Okay, even if you don’t drink, you’ll still be throwing up after listening to all the pandering, the fawning, the gushing about that park and these two teams.

5. Wild Bill says:

It still upsets me that the Bucs weren’t able to put the all in play often enough to exploit the Card’s lousy defense.

6. Wild Bill says:

Or, we could pass on the misery and just use the mute button.

7. Wild Bill says:

That’s “ball”, love that auto correct.

If I was Czar of the Universe:

Here, in order, are five Boston based musical acts that should perform the anthem at Fenway Park. They might let the world forget Mary J. Blige.

1. The Cars. Secured immortality with Fast Times at Ridgemont High’s use of ‘Moving in stereo’ in the most celebrated nude scene in cinematic history. One of the defining bands of the New Wave. Vocalist Ric Ocasek gave hope to looks challenged men everywhere by marrying hottie hall of famer, Pavlína Pořízková.

2. The Lemonheads. An underrated American Indie group. A drunken friend of mine once came to blows with their front man, and bitchin’ guitarist, Evan Dando. So for personal reasons, and old time sake, I would like to see them perform.

3. Juliana Hatfield. Dando’s former squeeze possesses a beautiful voice. She has the vocal chops to carry the anthem acapella, but it would be legendary to have her defunct band, The Blake Babys, back her up.

4. Neil Diamond. He owes the Red Sox a favor. The club has to cut him a royalty check 81+ times a season.

5. Boston Pops. My favorite major city orchestra. They could add some fireworks to the end and let goosebumps appear everywhere.

Yes, I specifically omitted the city’s eponymously named 70′s super group, Boston. I realize every household in the Free World once owned a copy of that album, but I was never a fan.

Bud Selig is morphing into Gollum.

10. toochca says:

I heard his asking for “my precious” the other day!!

Hahahah.

I thought I heard him say that while he was rubbing that trophy during the presentation to Rivera!

I still think Roseanne would be good.

I can’t complain about JT.

I’m very bored at work, AW. :)

I figured. ;-)

Nobody’s even mentioned the title of this thread. It might be DK’s way of making Jim Leyland relevant in Pittsburgh again.

Ha! Completely missed that!

18. Wild Bill says:

Love for a Yankee at a Sox series game. A true “man bites dog” moment.

19. toochca says:

Don’t you need to go to the library and look at microfilm for that?!

I think Selig is morphing into Mr. Burns.

Can anyone on either of these teams run faster than me ? Other than Ellsbury, I’m dubious.

Pretty close on the Cardinals lineup, you actually have 7 of the 9 guys and 4 in the right place.

DK: Apologies, Milo. It’s been fixed.

24. Wild Bill says:

Victorino used to be the “flyin Hawaiian”. Bet he can still beat ya, Milo.

25. Wild Bill says:

Ortiz again. The man rises to the moment.

I can’t wait for Lackey’s tantrum when Farrell takes him out.

That was disappointing. Even he knew he was done.

Instead of watching this dreck, whatever may be happening, I decided to re-live Pirate glory. I watched the 7th game of the 1971 WS. Somethings I had forgotten about from that game…………….

Roberto’s HR in the 4th was on a pitch chin-high.

Jose Pagan’s double in the 8th was on a pitch almost chin-high. And, Belanger’s throw to the plate was cutoff by Boog. Pirates won on that thin of a margin. Makes on wonder about how close the Pirates were this year.

In the locker room interviews, everyone knows about Roberto telling Bob Prince he wanted to address his parents in Spanish. What I didnt know, is that Prince didnt go back to Roberto……….. he just turned away and interviewed John Galbreath. I thouhgt he continued to interview Roberto.

Made for enjoyable viewing.

Where would you rank Bowie Kuhn on the pomposity scale ?

Don’t apologize, I was just kidding around. Besides, I think I’m the only one paying attention. Sort of.

DK: No, I know. More than anything, I appreciate having errors caught. Thanks.

Bowie, in his early years, was actually a good commissioner. After fighting with Charlie Finley, he became a pompous ass. I mean the difference was like night and day. I watched the locker room celebration, and Kuhn was humble and brief. Not what I expected at all.

Overall, I would rank him an 8/10.

It got to the point where he was voiding a trade every 5 minutes, the Finley stuff you were talking about. I thought he was really over the top when during cold post season games he refused to wear an overcoat.

Yeah, and he had like 3 work stoppages under his watch? He was very pompous in regards to how he treated players.

Like you said, pompous.