Final: Islanders 4, Penguins 3

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (7-2) vs. New York Islanders (3-3-3)

Time: 7:08 p.m.

Site: Consol Energy Center

TV, radio: Root Sports, MSG Plus (New York), RDS2 (Quebec), 105.9 The X

Here’s the official live summary.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Penguins pageJosh Yohe is on the scene.

Comments

Housewives of MLB premiers on Fox during the Pens game.

Dejan must be in a tizzy.

2. Pucknutz says:

Lets Go Pens!!!

Is it hard to get out of a tizzy?

Not as long as it’s hockey, football or soccer.

It’s a great day for hockey. 81 high.

Though it’s cooled off. 75 now.

It snowed earlier today here.

Not that I’m bragging. My Hearty Mums are not taking it well.

Dejan is always in a tizzy

Except at Starbucks

This was my last Friday, ever, at work

Cold will not bother me too much anymore

Well, Opening Day did as a friend can confirm

My Hearty Mum used to put kitchen chairs in the street to protect her spot.

• • Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

• Remember – When you play Pittsburgh, you play every person on this blog and in the city

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation

Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*, Lake Havasu City
    • Argentina, Buenos Aries
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay, Gold Coast, Geelong
    Brazil – Vitoria, São Paulo
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank, West Hills, Encino
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    England – London
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera) and a*, St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, W Melbourne, Melbourne, St Johns, Wesley Chapel
    France – Strasbourg,
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton, Grayson
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne, Ramstein*
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt, Maquoketa, Urbandale
    Ireland – Dublin
    • Israel – Ginot Shomron
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Mason, Battle Creek
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi, Ocean Springs
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha, Lincoln
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair, Monmouth Beach
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Lewistown
    Nevada, Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point, Winston Salem
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton, Northwood, Middletown, Dayton, Cambridge, Martins Ferry
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE ,,
    Oregon – Roseburg
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Philipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Greencastle, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove, Dormont, Scott Township, Blawnox, Arnold, Ligonier, Wells Tannery, Swoyersville, St Mary’s, Titusville, Shippingsburg, Sharpsville, Brookville, Mountain Top, Bloomsburg
    The Philippines
    Rhode Island
    Serbia
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston, North Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park, Pleasanton
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Uzbekistan
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke, Vienna, Alexandria
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg, Clarksburg
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*
    433 confirmed locations represented in the blog, and a couple of strange places
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Fred Rogers
    Mario Lemieux, ditto to the Great One, he stays as an owner
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg/Swissvale
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Bleier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    All Servicemen and women that have been in battle, ever
    Sgt Doug Vitale
    Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan Band
    Barney Dreyfuss
    George Benson
    Phil Coyne
    First Responders***
    27 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Three planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Then there was that Cold day in Hell place
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure that out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    • 10/25/2013 6:03 PM

Did she live in Oakland?

If so, I think we might have parked there

Now that shows my age

Cool. I guess in more ways than one.

+100

I think you’re still cold from that, my friend.

13. Sarah says:

Well we shall see if Zatkoff gets mulched by the speed of NYI.
    I for one would not despair just yet…..we will see if the 1-3-1 helps contain the Isles and keeps the attack more on one side of the ice.

IMO Zatkoff is just an average skater, which in a G can be fatal….but if his D can prevent the opposition from a whole lot of side to side /weaving in the attack, he may get by. I say that w fingers firmly crossed. Generally your goalie has to be one of your strongest skaters, and the footwork in the position is the most complex, with all edges, all directions, and (little mentioned) all balance, I.e. toe vs heel of the blade, involved.

Man I HATED my goalie skate drills in school! The only good part was the lazy forwards couldn’t do them either LOL!!!!

14. Eric Bowser says:

Call me crazy, stupid but I’d like to see the defense pairings as…
    Orpik – Martin
    Maatta – Letang
    Scuderi – Niskanen

Then once Niskanen is traded for a third line winger… put Bortuzzo with Scuderi for a solid defensive unit. Develop Maatta and Bortuzzo now, so by post season, they’ll be experienced enough to handle their job.

If Zatkoff falters tonight, I suspect the Islanders will be quite aggressive to get pucks low in order to get rebounds and expose his terrible speed moving up and down, and side to side.

That happens… Johan Hedberg needs to be signed.

Finally, Engelland is expected to be in the lineup again as a winger. What about the Islanders speaks big and tough lineup? I can understand Toronto but the Isles?

15. Eric Bowser says:

Expected Pens lineup..

Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis
    Jokinen – Malkin – Kobasew
    Glass – Sutter – Megna
    Adams – Vitale – Engelland

Orpik – Martin
    Scuderi – Letang
    Maatta – Niskanen

Zatkoff – starter
    Fleury – backup

So tyhe Kardashians are featured in another show?

Lord have Mercy.

When I was a student at Pitt, first time I saw that, I was beyond words. Maybe I was beyond flummoxed. Saw what happened the first time a chair was moved and another car went in that space. lets just say, the car took the worst of it.

My favorites were the old style 1950-type yellow flower chairs.
    My grandmother would have been so proud.

+ infinity for this.

Always remember to tell that jerk from the WSJ that there is indeed a “Pittsburgh nation”.

+ infinity for this.

Crazy stupid.
    There, feel better? ;)

For you……………………………..
    F I R E B Y _ _ _ _ _ :)

21. Alright!

A 1-3-1 reference sighting. And from a hockey player no less.

My night is made.

Easily amused, are we, Reverend? ;)

23. Sarah says:

Indeed….or
    I-D-I-O…..

:D

Pens PK % is 18th .
    Steigy says that is “tremendous”.
    Low bar, eh?

And, that “tremendous” PK just allowed another goal.
    I cant stand Steigerwald.

26. Sarah says:

Ugh. All I can say is I hope for Zatkoffs sake is that he thought he had that in his glove.

Ok. I’m not quite ready for hockey. Not until the World Series ends and the Kardashians are in reruns.

But that said. I kinda circled this game. Isles speed vs. a 1-3-1.

That, and I’m sick of the Isles.

JOKINEN !!!!!!

OUR MVP!!!!! ;)

29. Eric Bowser says:

I’ve mastered the ability to completely tune out Steigy…

30. Eric Bowser says:

Sutter with key shot up high on Nabokov and easy slap into goal for Jussi…

31. Eric Bowser says:

Amazing Carkner is still in the NHL…. can’t skate

32. Sarah says:

Oy! Nabby….tracked that puck about as well as Zat did…..y

33. Pucknutz says:

Can’t stand Stiegy – sit down at the low bar and have a beer! lol
    Ya he is a corny “homer” and at times the mouth moves before the brain is in gear – not all that bad on the play-byplay – let Bob do the rest.

better than the Kardashians, eh? ;)

35. Sarah says:

Donuts last 10 PPs. Nice.
    Can’t blame Giggy tonight.

Yep, Nabokov always did give up soft, juicy rebounds…….

37. Isn’t anything better than the Kardashians?

38. Pucknutz says:

That almost sounds like a “super power” Eric ! ;)

Good point.
    Skating out by the blue line doesnt score goals.
    Cycling along the boards doesnt score goals.

Last time I checked, shooting the puck (not into the goalies chest), and getting interference in front of the net scored goals. Hell, I could shoot it form the blue line with the same results these guys are having.

Good point.
    Skating out by the blue line doesnt score goals.
    Cycling along the boards doesnt score goals.

Unless I read it wrong, in todays Morning thread, their derierres were compared to the Civic Arena dome, so you got me………….

My computer is possessed.
    Apologies for the dubble posts………………

43. Sarah says:

Net front presence/disruption.
    Has been lacking a long time.

44. Pucknutz says:

Ya Plan, I agree w/ya – SHOOT THE PUCK – HIT SOMEBODY!
    But ya did not have to say it twice at 7:51 ! lol

45. Eric Bowser says:

Yes… let’s keep doing the same thing on the power play…

No shooting…

will continue to believe the issue is because Crosby and Malkin want the same RW spot.

46. Sarah says:

If I was coming off a knee injury not sure I’d want to play 10+ mins in the first period back…
    But I guess Letang doesn’t mind.

I missed seeing this, thank you Biz!

Sid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO IS THAT 87 GUY????????
    GOAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Letang is a beast!

Bout time you got here.

Glad your “9 wides” cable package is in effect! ;)

52. Eric Bowser says:

hahahaha… Carkner on ice… Sid flew into Isles zone

Just some kid ;)

54. Pucknutz says:

Crosby Shoots!!! He had em alllll the way!!!!

Hey hey, it’s Bowser :)

Root Sports respects my shoes lol

You mean, “fears”. ;)

I’ve said it from the start….those two do not do well together on the PP.
    But then, this PP just sucks all the way around,
    FIX IT!!!!

we agree on that!!

Revvie YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything but Justin Beiber!

;) shhh!

Zats is holding his own. I hope the guys don’t get too comfortable with him tho…he needs help

I’m constantly telling him to STFU…hubby just laughs at me

Rather the Isles than the Kardashians.

Jandy, your boyfriend Austin Mahone on line 1 …….. ;)

Jandy, your boyfriend Austin Mahone on line 1 …….. ;)

Good to see you here, what’s your prognosis on Zats so far?

68. Sarah says:

Sadly he has no one to pass too…..

even that kid is better than Beiber lol

70. Sarah says:

Fingers remain crossed…hard….

Hey Sarah I liked your review on Zats above..thanks :)

72. Time for another Bowser Blast for a 2-goal lead.

He’s doing much better tonight I think. Not great, but better.

Here we go again…

This PP is sad.

76. Pucknutz says:

“Statuesque” – love that word – but sorry Eric – don’t fit a hockey goalie.
    All I am seeing is a tall, blonde, …………..
    Maybe that’s just me….. :)

That’s not a hockey game you’re watching Puckers lol

78. Barb says:

What PP? Evening all.

zactly!!!

Hi Bodacious :)

80. Sarah says:

Well just MO Jandy thanks!
    I agree he is doing better this time around…..so far so good!…

81. Sarah says:

What is this “power play” you speak of?….

Captain Obvious……….

“Penguins not shooting the puck”.

In other news, water is wet…………….

83. Barb says:

Hi Mother Terry!

More like a power outage………………

Its a Barb sighting.
    Hiya Barb.

good way to put it, Hipposter

I appreciate your thoughts, Sarah. You know your stuff.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Zats…

88. Barb says:

Good evening Hipposter. How are things in the pond? Cold?!?!?!?!

89. Barb says:

Sooooo what else is new?

A little chilly.
    The portable generator arrives next week…. ;)

Letang is back :)

92. Pucknutz says:

Saint – please don’t tempt me – I am very weak – might change the channel !
    Na – it’s like a miracle – gonna watch the hockey game!
    How many more miracles do ya need to make the big time! lol

The miracle would be our PP actually scoring a PP goal ;)

94. Brandie says:

Wishing you all a good evening. Mom is out of hospital. Going to see her tomorrow.

95. Pucknutz says:

Make it happen!

96. Brandie says:

Thank you for/all the vibes and all of your kind words.

Brandie! Glad she is out of hospital. Hope you are hangin in there HUGZ!

More prayers being sent up, sister. <3

These guys need stronger powers than I have lol

No need to thank us.
    Just concentrate on getting Mom better.

Then we’ll talk. :)

101. Barb says:

Hi Brandie. So glad Mom is out of the hospital. Hope for a speedy recovery.

What she said ^^^^^.

Hope you are feeling a bit better.

103. Barb says:

I agree with getting Mom better.

104. Pucknutz says:

Letang – 17 mins already – start of the third – guy is shape or what?
    Zats – ain’t lookin too bad – perhaps DK’s assessment of essentially no talent at this level is incorrect. We shall see.

Tang is a beast!

Zats, I’m still reserving judgement on.

106. Barb says:

I agree with you Zandy. The jury is still out on Zatkoff.

Poop!

108. Pucknutz says:

Ya, jury trails are a crapshoot.
    I hear the Moose is available cheap – Flower can’t play every game.
    Sadly I fear Vokun will not be back. Need a real “backup”.

Ouch! Kobasew took a helluva shot there.

POop!!!

WOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

112. Eric Bowser says:

OMG

What a goal by Engelland

113. Barb says:

Yes but we get the goal back.

Deryk Engelland, hero :)

Camel Time !!! ;)

Jandy the Nun, dork. ;)

a goal by Engo is good for camel time lol

Ah yes, pinball hockey.

119. Pucknutz says:

Ya, what the heck is he doin out there!

LOL Pffft!!!

That was bad :/

122. Eric Bowser says:

Zatkoff… make a save already…

Bring back MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE

looked like Sid ;)

Mooooosssseeeeee!!!!!

125. Pucknutz says:

Not a whole lot of D there Eric – walked right in…….

126. Pucknutz says:

But ….I see your point..

Sarah,
    SUIT UP NOW !!!

Unreal.

That one’s not entirely on Zats, our guys HAVE to CLEAR THE PUCK!!!
    Grrrrr!!

129. Eric Bowser says:

Get a real goalie….

my goodness….

Kunitz didn’t hold his man and result was that…. my goodness

130. Sarah says:

Great save on the first opp by Zat, then zero ability to recover. Really ….zero recovery.

131. Sarah says:

None if these are all on Zat IMO. But he’s gotta come up with one of those despite the breakdowns in front of him. Yuck.

Freakin Sad.

133. Sarah says:

When Letang had his shit blocked I though oh Shite.

DK may want toi revisit his opinion on NOT trading Nisky for a goalie………

Again…our PP was 0-5 or 0-6???

The difference in the game.

Oh Shot! ;)

The standard is the standard…………. ;)

Then we need to RAISE our standard >:<

139. Barb says:

Shero needs to get on the horn NOW and find a backup that can get the job done. SHEESH.

140. Sarah says:

The back heck effort by Kuni own the GW play was just putrid. I know Zats needs to get up of his areas there, but really, the D was a complete POS the whole 3rd period. Letang has to get his shot thru traffic. Vs a speed team you canNOT get blocks at he blue line. Nisky needs to stop sucking, and KUni needs to back check.

The D is in playoff form.

This team is the same team we saw the last 2 years. I dont care how many “changes” they have supposedly done, things look the same !!!

Jandy, it is hard to soar with the eagles, when you are hanging around with the buzzards!

That’s what I’m talkin about!!!!

143. Sarah says:

Funny how this happens as soon as our Norris candidate comes back.

Well, another crappy effort by our D and goalie.
    I will bow outta here, while I dont have the total urge to shoot 5 Pens.

Good night everybody.
    Jandy, start using the feet, girl. !

I’m really disappointed. Night Hipposter :*

I thought Tang had a decent game actually

Sarah, if you are still out there tonight, I have a question for you and your hockey eye.

Setting aside goalie play, how did you judge the quality – or lack thereof – of the Pens’ new defensive system against the speed of the Isles?

148. DJ says:

On the PP and the rush in particular tonight, looking too much to get the puck to Sid. Giving up clean chances forcing it to him.

Kunitz very mediocre tonight. While there was not a defenseman to be found on the last goal, Kunitz still needs to clear that puck. He got out-worked.

On PP, need more bodies in front of the net. Sound familiar?

149. CWalton_67 says:

I hope Bylsma skates them until they puke multiple times at the next practice. There is zero, none, no excuse for this team to lose to the Islanders. An utterly disgusting loss.

150. DJ says:

. . . oh yeah, one last bone to pick.

Letang would be deadly if he ever developed a one-timer off a pass — particularly on the PP. He has the unnerving habit on constantly wanting to settle the puck.

Even if the pass is not perfectly in Letang’s wheelhouse, a quick, firm shot is always a better option than no shot at all because the defense has now adjusted, or a late shot that is blocked.

151. Sarah says:

I thought it was OK. The NYI goals were mostly the result of breakdowns.
    Their shooting pattern was frequently to shoot toward lanes to the side if the net, which doesn’t have much to do with 1-3-1 as it does to recognition and coverage in the D end (at which I think the Pens are poor). When we get the puck the 1-3-1 seems to provide more support to help get it out, but when they have the puck, you still must do basic back checking and coverage.
    The 2nd goal was exactly that kind of redirect. Maybe the NYI are aware of Zat’s poor movement- you’ll notice had no lateral drive on that play once he saw where the redirect was coming from, he actually just kind of dove sideways. Should almost never happen for a G. When was thatblastbtime you saw Jon Quick dive sides ways? He’s always Travelling laterally on his pads.
    3rd goal was simply a ridiculous giveaway by Kobasew, which caught his entire team leaving the zone, and an alert pass down low by NYI had a guy wide open in front of Zats. Would it have been lovely if he made the save? Yes, but you don’t point at your G on that one. Like the camera, you look straight at Kobasew.
    The one goal that came from speed was the GW, and IMO a direct result of an indecisive play by Letang at the point, shooting directly into a blocking player, followed by poor defense coming back, allowing the puck to go throug him(twice I think) and capped off by just awful back checking by Kunitz on the trailer who got the rebound off a terrific first save by Zat. Inexcusable on several levels.
    On that one at wound up on his side with the rebound towards his skates, and was simply too slow to recover. If I was coaching him i would try to train him to NEVER end up on his butt or on his side. He’s just too slow to get organized from that position. As we saw.

But to answer your question directly, NYI speed cost us only one goal and we had to be awful to allow it. The 1-3-1 IMO helps to limit the odd mans (which it did) and aids the breakout.

It does nothing for D zone coverage that I can see, which is in full playoff form.

152. Sarah says:

I hope they make Bylsma skate until he pukes.

153. hockeymonster says:

I’d have to take a closer look but seemed like we went back to playing an open style sending in multiple forecheckers and not watching out P’s n Q’s in the neutral zone. Focus on the ice once we got the lead was far from good too.

154. hockeymonster says:

You really seeing the 1-3-1 that much? Usually i’m just seeing the basic 1-2-2 with the occasional deviation of the dman stepping up on a forward making it a 1-3-1. And the left wing lock system seems to apply more to puck retrieval more than neutral zone play. LW will have assignment to go down low to support dmen but as far as neutral zone goes Im usally just seeing the 1-2-2 trap.

Thank you, Sarah. I didn’t get the game down here and more to the point, even if I did, I don’t think I’d have hockey knowledge to make that assessment.

And yet. Despite my inability, it was a game I circled. For exactly this reason.

I know it’s a fan thing to bemoan a loss and I take nothing away from those who rended their clothing after the game. But especially since the Pens play in a soft division, the W-L thing on a game in October when they remain 7-3 has far less meaning to me than how they are adapting to their new style of play, and how it worked against a team that can skate.

Some of which I might not have been able to judge even if the game was shown here in Florida, so thanks for that.

Monster, you may in fact be correct that it is not a pure 1-3-1. That said, when I have seen them play, it has appeared to my untrained eye that whatever the numbers, it is an attempt to build and play a more disciplined system. In whatever alignment, I remain curious as to how it holds up against a team that has traditionally skated their D off the ice. I’m not disagreeing; I’m just asking, in either D, how did the system (more than the individual players) do. Sarah’s breakdown helped me to understand the differentiation between system and skaters.