Final: Navy 24, Pitt 21

Looking ahead to kickoff …

Game: Pitt (4-2, 2-2 ACC) vs. Navy (3-3)

Time: 1:02 p.m.

Site: Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Annapolis, Md.

TV, radio: CBS Sports Network (national), 93.7 The Fan, Pitt IMG Sports Network

Here is the official live summary.

Here is our Pitt page. Jerry DiPaola is on the scene.

Comments

Trap game.

2. radio wave says:

Has this been a better year than expected?

3. Good answer from Sarah to your question on the hockey thread, Drewmeister.

4. macchamp74 says:

CBS sports network for TV….part of extra pay package on my cable…radio only today for me. Not many eyes on this game in Pgh area I would imagine.

I liked it also. But being I dont spell well, or have a grate edumacation, I can sum it up like this………………

Speed hurts the 1-3-1, especially if we dont play well in our own end.
    Oh, and last night we stunk in the 3rd period.

That is all. ;)

Yeah, all of 3,000 people will watch today, as this game is “trapped” on a network few get.
    I get this channel, so I can watch in peace.

Dont like the looks of Pitt’s D this year.
    Navy can put up the yards……………….. I see a high scoring game….. hope Pitt pulls it out.
    Maybe they can employ the 1-3-1? (Thats for you, Lucky.) ;)

Thanks, Luck, for the notice.

Plan, I interpreted Sarah’s comments just a bit differently. To oversimplify, I thought she was putting more emphasis on “breakdowns kill” more than speed. And that no defensive system can work perfectly without a commitment to back checking.

I know Drew, I was just funnin.

Our backchecking is notoriously bad.
    Doesnt matter what system is used.

Baffling since martin was brought in to help.

Off to enjoy this wonderful weather. Nothing says great weather like 30 degrees. ;)

Celsius I hope.

Since temperatures made the docket today…

60 F now. To a high of 79.

Sunny, with 0% chance of rain.

Even the pollen is low.

11. One thing of note. Navy sucks big time.

They came down here and lost to Western KY, a Sun Belt team, 19-7.

Pitt should have a field day. WKU, even with Petrino dating all the cheerleaders, etc., is not that good this season. Two of my sons graduated from there. I wish they’d never hired the guy.

12. Ours is more like Plan’s than yours. Doesn’t pay to be 500 miles south of Pgh. Need to be all the way south.

A win is needed today for Pitt to keep going bowling alive. Navy lacks size and speed and should be defeated with relative ease. But, Pitt is lining up against kids who someday will be SEALS commanders, land jets on carriers bouncing around in choppy seas and captain submarines that travel under the polar icecaps.

They certainly won’t be intimidated. To paraphrase Playoffs and Chive, Keep Calm and Get the Victory.

I would like to see UCLA upset Oregon today and for Ohio State to remain undefeated. Undefeated Baylor plays at Kansas. I use to live in Lawrence. The stadium is located at the bottom of a hill and you can watch the game quite easily while sitting on the hill. I never had to pay for a game they one fall I lived there!

*the one

I proofread and still mess up!

17. Jandy will tell you. It doesn’t pay to proofread.

Welcome back to that Avi, Lucky. Still amazing that Urban hasn’t lost at Columbus yet.

19. It is, John. Some close calls and fortunate things (some OSU haters call them “Luckeyes”) have kept it going. That and a viable backup QB.

No easy games, though, this one included. PSU showed its stuff against Michigan.

The Badgers are still my second favorite team in the Big 10, basketball and football.

I really like both of those programs. Always have. Buckeyes were fortunate to get them earlier in the season.

Yes we did! Sun is shining. Getting things done. Catch yinz loonies later

Fahrenheit. The frost was on the pumpkins!

Spunky is right. Those Jandy typos get ya anyway!

23. Sarah says:

Drew what I’d also say is that while speed hurts and obviously breakdowns destroy everything, TRANSITION kills. Goals 3 and 4 were as much about rapid transition as awful D.
    The unexpected turnover is worst in this dept.

My hope for the 1-3-1 (and I agree they didn’t use it all night) is that it allows for neutral zone turnover/transition.
    Bylsma tries to FORCE transition with insane stretch passes that everybody knows is coming.
    The 1-3-1 allows counter attack much more naturally, and generally more safely in that it generally begins in neutral, not behind your own net/side boards where a picked off pass is lethal.

Thought it was the “sauce” you are on? ;)

I say we just call it like it is………… Bylsma stinks! ;)

Petrino is dating cheeleaders? Did his wife divorce him from that crap at Arkansas? Guess he will never learn……………

27. Lad 9 says:

OK that’s a start. Lets go Pitt!

I was wondering if my smell chased everyone away!
    3 is nice, 7 is better.
    Lets Go Pitt!

29. Lad 9 says:

Hippo my friend! It was a loooong week and I think my blog visits will be way down with the new job. Missed being here.

Congrats on the new job!
    Yeah, you and Brandie are missed.

But, please do pop in…….. nice to see friendly faces.

31. Lad 9 says:

Will do. Got to get on the Pens thread more. And thank you!

First quarter complete in Annapolis.

Pitt 3. Navy 0

City of Pittsburgh sporting some busy and quality place kickers this season.

Oops, I’m a bit behind. The Navy just scored a TD.

Awesome news on the job!

35. Lad 9 says:

Thank you John. Go Badgers! Like Lucky, I am a great admirer of the Wisconsin programs and Barry Alvarez. My favorite Big 10 squads or sure, even though I am not a huge Bo Ryan fan.

Pitt with a field goal, cuts the Midshipmen lead to one at 7-6.

Zzzzzzz.

Hey! Pitt scored!

Zzzzzzzzzzz. ;)

38. Lad 9 says:

Good old school football. I am wide awake! :)

39. JRay3 says:

Pitt outgains Navy 252-135 in opening half. Pitt getting a good performance up front helping the Panthers gain 115 yards on the ground and averaging over 4 yards a carry. Devin Street doing what he does best, glad to see him back out there and healthy.

Defensively, Panthers holding Navy in check, minus the one lucky tipped ball for 58 yard TD, Navy gained just 77 yards as Panthers have stayed disciplined and came up with big play on turnover near end of half.

A lot of encouraging signs in the first 30 minutes. Pitt is 10-2 under Chryst when leading at halftime, time to finish and get to 5-2.

40. Lad 9 says:

JRay! Good to see you. Your synopsis pretty much confirms the eye test – Pitt dominating everywhere but on the scoreboard. Suspect that will change in the second half.

41. Sarah says:

Yeah totally agree that speed puts a hurt on defense and forechecks, Plan.

Not like I’ve done loads of research, or myself played in a 1-3-1…. But as a G I think I would prefer it vs a speed team…..if the first guy in does his job and splits the ice, such that the play has to move to one side or the other, that helps the G by removing options and limiting lateral motion…in general the more defensive players in the neutral zone (3 vs 2) the better -that makes it more difficult for the bad guys to come flying throug with speed untouched…..

But again, not like I’ve really researched from a coaching standpoint..,,,here’s all I could find ….

But again, with crap D zone coverage as we saw last night….it really doesn’t matter. When Letang goes puck chasing or Kunitz whiffs on the trailer, all the research In the world matters not.
    Blah!

42. Sarah says:

Hah! Do NOT get me started on DB. On record as saying he should have been canned after the PHL series.

But here we are.

43. florida steeler says:

The Pitt offense is putrid against a JV football team. Offensive penalties, Savage missing wide open receivers. Yuk !!!!!

44. Probably. I just speculated on that facetiously.

45. 66sports says:

Dejan,

This PITT team is driving me crazy. National TV and PITT do not mix. They never play well on TV. This started as a dominating performance on offense, and PITT played around with Navy and now they are struggling to keep their lead. This game should have been over by halftime. Now, the defense looks totally lost and 21 points looks to not be enough. And, an injured QB is still making them look bad. Chryst needs to open it up a bit and put points on the board when they can because their defense cannot shut people down when they need to.

The Midshipmen tie it at 21-21, late in the fourth.

This is a needed win for the Panthers with Georgia Tech next week on the road, followed by the Fighting Irish at Heinz in two weeks. Gotta find a way to win this.

The Navy with 14 points in the final frame.

48. florida steeler says:

this team is a JOKE– they couldn’t beat Slippery Rock.

Pitt with the advantage in almost every statistical category. Now, they need to take the lead in the most important stat!

Defense needs to come up big here to force this one into extra time.

Extremely disappointing fourth quarter and the Panthers lose on a Navy field goal as time expires. Pitt’s final possession was atrocious, including a 20 yard punt, and the defense was unable to stop the Midshipmen as they started their final drive at the Pitt 49.

Final:

Navy 24 Pitt 21

At Georgia Tech next Saturday as ACC play resumes for one week and then a home meeting with the Fighting Irish.

Wow. That was a bad, bad loss.

53. florida steeler says:

Out of shape, few D-1 quality athletes. A BAD football team. Akron scored 44 points on this JV football team and Pitt couldn’t score or stop them.

54. You are correct, sir.

Hard to believe.

Pitt men’s basketball starts regular season 11/08. lol.

56. JRay3 says:

Can’t argue with that. Missed most of second half hanging with the little one, probably a good thing.

Margin for error to make this a bowl season just took a hit today. But for me I keep telling myself this is a very young team playing a lot of freshman and a lot of players picking up new positions. Paul Chryst did not inherit a deep team or a very good team, it is going to take time to rebuild this and it is going to take a lot more Tyler Boyd type players in the recruiting trails.

Those that get down on this coach and this team just don’t really understand and appreciate just how much work needed and still needs to be done. Does not take away the fact that today was a bad loss but does provide a reminder of just exactly where the situation is.

57. Lad 9 says:

Nailed it JRay. But wow, that was exactly what AW said. I would even advance it to horrific.

58. JoeyBats says:

Pitt should never, EVER lose to a mediocre Navy team.
    Very, very disappointing. Playing lots of freshman….but that’s no excuse.
    Going to have to beat the Cuse and N.Carolina …(certain losses coming to G.Tech, N. Dame & Miami) …just to qualify for another run to the equivalent of a Busted Tail Pipe Bowl
    Recruiting HAS TO get better, too! :-(

Welcome back, JRay!

Welcome back, JRay!

Missed the second half. Looks like I didnt miss much.

Pitt will always be mediocre as long as they recruit against the FCS level.

And, just like those who always defended the Pirates FO for a multi-year rebuild, Chryst deserves more time to fix the program from the mess of 100 head coaches in 2 years.

Just thought I would toss this in:

Duke beat Virginia Tach (at VT).
    Guess the VT fans should be screaming on their blogs to Fire Beamer? Up the recruiting?

Sheesh.

64. Groaty will love that one. And in Blacksburg no less.

I was thinking of Groat as I typed it! :)

Haven’t seen one criticism on here of Chryst. Even from floridasteeler. You fighting windmills again?

Putrid football team…….. recruiting HAS to get better……… bad, bad loss.

Are those things criticizing the team mascot? The cheerleaders?
    And to address your point more directly, people didnt “technically” criticize Chryst, but anyone can see that general criticisms were offered.

Also, am I “chasing windmills” just because you disagree with me? Or is something more in play here?

Putrid football team…….. recruiting HAS to get better……… bad, bad loss.

Are those things criticizing the team mascot? The cheerleaders?

69. pattonbb says:

Navy started the season by beating Indiana. Those Midshipmen are not pushovers.

Before Chryst can win, he has to recruit. This Pitt team, minus their top 3 or 4 players, is largely made up of guys that couldn’t start on most ACC teams. Give the coach a couple years to bring some talent in. The cupboard was as bare as it ever was when he got there.

Having said all of that, there’s no excuse for laying an egg in the second half of this game like they did. Impossible to not be concerned if you’re a fan, but this isn’t going to get fixed overnight.

70. florida steeler says:

Not a pushover?? Lose to Western Kentucky, Akron and killed by Duke and you think Navy is a good football team???

71. pattonbb says:

When did I say Navy was a good team?

Western Kentucky beat Kentucky. Navy didn’t play Akron this year, they played Toledo, who should have beaten Missouri and who might not lose again this year. Duke just beat #14 Virginia Tech yesterday. Yea, you’re right, those teams are terrible.

Do you watch much football?

Pitt is a bad team, no doubt. All I said was that Navy isn’t some walk-through automatic win, like they have been in the past. There aren’t pushovers.