TribLIVE
Blogs | Sports | News
Dejan Kovacevic's Blog

Pittsburgh sports talk with the Trib columnist

« Font size »
Decrease | Reset |Increase

Morning Java: Special guest Steve Pederson

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Morning, Lunatics …

>> The TribLIVE Radio show today — 2-3 p.m. — will feature special guest Steve Pederson, Pitt’s AD, on the week of the Notre Dame game and basketball opening up. He’ll be right at the top of the show.

After that, I’ll present to listeners a question: How would you change the Steelers?

All through Mike Tomlin’s press conference yesterday, we heard how nothing will change. And then afterward, the general sentiment seemed to be that nothing can change. Well, I want to hear from you: What about personnel moves? Or strategy? Or approach? Or attitude? Or preparedness? Or effort?

Call me at 412-320-7925. I will work to get your call onto the show.

If you can’t call, email sportstalk@tribweb.com

To listen, just click on the link above. It’s free, easy, no signup. If you’re mobile, try the TribLIVE Radio app.

Hope you can tune in and participate!

BYXIXM8CIAECMIq.png_large

>> Columnist Joe Starkey revisits the insanity of playing Ben Roethlisberger near the end.

Tomlin sticks by Dick LeBeau, status quo, by Alan Robinson.

Here’s our full Steelers coverage.

Here’s Bills news from the Buffalo News.

Here are official game highlights from NFL.com.

And on TribLIVE Radio, Ike Taylor took to his own show to describe his concussion …

>> The Metropolitan Division name stinks, and so does its body of work. Josh Yohe has it.

Here’s our full Penguins coverage advancing tonight’s game at the Garden.

Here’s Rangers news from the New York Post.

Here are official game highlights from NHL.com.

>> On Notre Dame week, Tony Dorsett recalls his 303-yard brilliance against the Irish, by Jerry DiPaola.

>> Jamie Dixon lands a quality point guard recruit, by Kevin Gorman.

>> On the women’s side, Suzie McConnell Serio starts from scratch, by Karen Price.

>> Allen Robinson’s doing it all for Penn State, by Chris Adamski.

>> A.J. Burnett still might retire, his agent tells Rob Biertempfel.

>> The Riverhounds already re-signed league MVP Jose Angulo. Yesterday, they added an MVP finalist, slick midfielder Joseph Ngwenya, in yet another move that illustrates how serious these guys are about going to the next level. Matt Grubba broke the story.

>> Hope to hear from you on the air today!

Author: Dejan Kovacevic

Dejan Kovacevic, a lifelong Pittsburgher, is an award-winning sports columnist for Trib Total Media covering the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Pitt and, recently, his fourth Olympics in Sochi, Russia. He also appears on WPXI-TV's 'Subway Final Word’ and hosts a weekly show on TribLIVE Radio. For 2011, he was named one of the country's top four columnists by the AP Sports Editors. For 2012, he was named one of the country's top three columnists by the National Headliners. For 2013, he was named the state's top columnist by the Keystone Press Awards and top columnist in Western Pennsylvania by the Golden Quills.

Comments

  1. JoeyBats says:

    6’3″ PSU Allen Robinson would look great as a wide receiver in a Steelers uniform next year !

  2. Jim S. says:

    S FL Sun Sentinel is reporting that the Dolphins staff apparently asked Incognito to “toughen up” Martin after he missed some of the off-season program.

    The plot thickens.

  3. JAL says:

    I’ve Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts Merv Griffin 1949 Merv went on to a very successful career though not with a lot of hit songs. The free agents are a lovely bunch of coconuts.

    JAL’s I’ve Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts Morning Links

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqEmAsUXVJY

    GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

    1- MLB Transactions

    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/transactions

    2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/pittsburgh_pirates/

    3 MLB Important Dates

    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/important_dates.jsp

    BLOGS and such

    4—Pirates Prospects

    First Pitch: The Draft Compensation System Remains Broken

    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/11/first-pitch-the-draft-compensation-system-remains-broken.html

    More Free Agency Rankings and Salary Predictions

    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/11/more-free-agency-rankings-and-salary-predictions.html

    Pittsburgh Pirates Minor League Free Agents

    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/11/pittsburgh-pirates-minor-league-free-agents-2.html

    AFL: Hanson and Ngoepe Collect RBI’s in Victory

    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/11/afl-hanson-and-ngoepe-collect-rbis-in-victory.html

    Who Should the Pirates Protect From the Rule 5 Draft?

    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/11/who-should-the-pirates-protect-from-the-rule-5-draft.html

    5 Bucs Dugout

    Clint Hurdle, Andrew McCutchen named awards finalists

    http://www.bucsdugout.com/2013/11/5/5070666/clint-hurdle-named-nl-manager-of-the-year-finalist

    6 Rumbunter

    Pirates Benedict Has Fan in Philadelphia, Competition in Twitter Happy Leo Mazzone?

    http://rumbunter.com/2013/11/05/benedict-fan-philadelphia-competition-twitter-happy-leo-mazzone/

    7 City of Champions

    Pittsburgh Pirates Rumors: A.J. Burnett undecided on future

    http://cityofchampionssports.com/2013/11/05/pittsburgh-pirates-rumors-j-burnett-undecided-future/

    8 The Green Weenie

    11/4-5: Dick Groat, Wee Tommy, Mike Dunne, John Grabow, Lefty, Manny-for-Chuck, Syd, Rod Scurry & John Russell…

    http://oldbucs.blogspot.com/2013/11/114-5-dick-groat-wee-tommy-mike-dunne.html

    9 Rant Sports

    Pittsburgh Pirates: Why It Was Smart To Let A.J. Burnett Test Free Agency

    http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/11/05/pittsburgh-pirates-why-it-was-smart-to-let-a-j-burnett-test-free-agency-image-wrong-size/

    10 Pirates Site

    McCutchen an MVP finalist; Hurdle up for top manager

    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/pit/pirates-andrew-mccutchen-an-mvp-finalist-clint-hurdle-up-for-manager-of-the-year?ymd=20131105&content_id=63703800&vkey=news_pit

  4. Jandy says:

    I’m curious to know WHY he missed some of that off-season program…

  5. JAL says:

    NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

    11 Seattle Times

    UPDATE: Lloyd McClendon will be hired as Mariners manager

    http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/2013/11/05/lloyd-mcclendon-reportedly-hired-as-mariners-manager/

    12 USA Today

    Free agents: Top starting pitchers on the market

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/11/05/free-agency-ranking-starting-pitchers/3449637/

    13 ABC 15

    Estranged wife of ex-MLB pitcher Kris Benson pleads guilty in assault

    http://www.abc15.com/dpp/sports/sports_blogs_local/estranged-wife-of-ex-mlb-pitcher-kris-benson-pleads-guilty-in-assault

    14 Baseball Nation

    The most and least active teams on the trade market since 2003

    http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/11/5/5067636/mlb-trade-rumors-news-offseason-oral-history-adam-hyzdu-trades

    15 Awful Announcing

    Kids aren’t watching baseball, but why?

    http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/november/kids-aren-t-watching-baseball-but-why.html

    16 Cincinnati Enquirer

    BAR 11.5: What the compensation offer means

    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2013/11/05/bar110513/

    17 St. Louis Post Dispatch

    Cards release three to tidy-up 40-man roster

    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cards-release-three-to-tidy-up–man-roster/article_485005f6-2e01-5f4d-9925-1e8ccccbb663.html

    18 ESPN

    2013 MLB Free Agents

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents

    SPORTS WEBSITES

    19 Baseball Prospectus

    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the Times Through the Order Penalty

    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22156

    20 Fangraphs

    The Bargains of the 2014 Free Agent Class

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-bargains-of-the-2014-free-agent-class/

  6. JAL says:

    Steelers Blogs

    21 Behind the Steel Curtain

    Even my mom knows the Steelers don’t have a Gronkowski

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/11/5/5068480/even-my-mom-knows-the-steelers-dont-have-a-gronkowski

    Antonio Brown was benched at the end of the Steelers’ loss to the Patriots

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/11/5/5069248/antonio-brown-was-benched-at-the-end-of-the-steelers-loss-to-the

    Baron Batch continuing with art, hating comparisons to slavery, in post-career life

    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/11/5/5069040/baron-batch-continuing-with-art-hating-comparisons-to-slavery-in-post

    22 Steelers Gab

    DeCastro And Wheaton Cleared To Practice; Update On Steelers Injuries

    http://www.steelersgab.com/2013/11/05/decastro-and-wheaton-cleared-to-practice-update-on-steelers-injuries/

    Soccer(football)

    23 Washington Post

    U.S. national team news and notes

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2013/11/05/u-s-national-team-updates/

    24 World Soccer Daily

    November 5, 2013 – all the stories you need to read

    http://www.worldsoccer.com/247/world-soccer-daily-all-the-stories-you-need-to-read-november-5-2013

    PENGUIN BLOGS and NHL Links

    25 Pensburgh

    Pens Points Wednesday: Do Shootouts Matter?

    http://www.pensburgh.com/2013/11/5/5068782/pens-points-wednesday-do-shootouts-matter

  7. dubb says:

    Can you ask Pederson how a football coach can hire a DC with very little coaching experience? Can you ask him how he gets by not having a Special Teams coach and employing so many grad assistants who actually have a lot of responsibility? As a marketing man like Pederson, it seems Pitt missed a golden opportunity to win some fans back this year with its home schedule by going on the cheap with the football staff. And before anyone defends any of this who has improved on the Pitt team after 8 games?

  8. Jandy says:

    JAL, love the song! My Dad had a habit of singing that when I was a child…I hear him singing it now…thanks for the memory :)
    (The free agent comment was spot on LOL)

  9. Jandy says:

    So. Aaron Rodgers has a broken collarbone. Isn’t Karma a beyotch?

  10. Jim S. says:

    Tomlin took responsibility yesterday for every draft pick since he became coach. I don’t think that is a completely fair assessment, as the GM and his staff probably have at least as much say as the head coach in who gets drafted. Nonetheless, the coach finally seemed to be admitting that much of this team’s abysmal performance lies with him.

    Per Alan Robinson’s article, 4 players drafted under Tomlin have made the Pro Bowl since he became coach in 2007 – Pouncey, Wallace, Woodley, Brown. Of that group, Brown is the only one I feel can be counted on to help this team improve in 2014.

    My guess right now is Tomlin will not be fired after the season. That is just not the Rooney Way. But, I do believe the heat will finally be turned up on him. The same goes for Colbert. Personally, I don’t think this season is a one year decline. This team started to decline before last year, and this has accelerated in 2013 due to the obvious lack of talent and inability to draft and develop talent. If I were the owner, I would fire them both, and that would pretty much eliminate the entire staff. It is time to rebuild this thing from the ground up.

    I think LeBeau will step aside after this season. This is a long rebuilding project ahead, and I don’t think he’ll want to go through that. I don’t see Haley surviving this debacle. I would fire the Head Coach and GM, but I believe the Rooneys will retain both of them and demand better performance. That will add at least one more year before the true rebuilding begins in my opinion. We’ll have new coordinators on both sides of the ball next year, but the same guy leading them and the same guy managing the roster.

  11. Jim S. says:

    That’s a very good question.

  12. Jandy says:

    indeed!

  13. Jim S. says:

    And here’s another good question. What will Incognito have to say about the Dolphins’ staff involvement with this, assuming that report is true? Will he further implicate the Dolphins staff? We know that often players and coaches in the NFL fear reprisal for implicating teams or taking them on in court.

    Al Davis was notorious for firing coaches and refusing to pay them remaining money owed on their contracts, even though they had a legal right to it. He got away with it because he knew any coach that sued him in court would likely be sealing his own fate as to ever being hired in the league again. So, if Incognito hopes to play again, will he be reluctant to implicate the staff in Miami? This assumes the report is accurate that he was instructed to lean on Martin and toughen him up.

  14. Thundercrack says:

    “My guess right now is Tomlin will not be fired after the season.”

    I don’t think you have to guess on that one. He’s not going anywhere.

    ‘If I were the owner, I would fire them both,..’

    The roster does not look good and the record is going to stink. But you would fire the GM and coach after and 8-8 season and then whatever this one ends up at?

  15. Jandy says:

    It will be interesting to say the least to follow this story to the bitter end.

  16. Jim S. says:

    TC:

    I believe an owner needs to not only assess the last 2 years, but the next 2 and beyond. Do you really think after they go 4-12 or whatever this season, the outlook for next season is much better? How about the one after that? It isn’t only about what they have done of late, but the direction the team is headed. My opinion is next year will be another mess, and so will the one after that. As owner, I would conclude these 2 guys have set me up for disaster – the kind of disaster that could erode a lot of the mystique of my franchise in this city.

    I said I don’t believe the Rooneys will fire them. But, yes, that should take place if the Rooneys are concluding, like I am, that things are not getting better and in fact are getting worse. Even in the down Cowher years, there was always hope of a turnaround on the horizon. I don’t see that in the immediate future now, do you?

  17. Defense starts with stopping the run.

    BRING BACK CASEY HAMPTON!!!

  18. Dom says:

    It doesn’t look like the Rule Five draft will be an issue this year. We only have like five or so new guys that need to be protected.

  19. Jandy says:

    This from FOX Sports website:

    By Sid Saraf, FOXSports.com

    Have you been waiting to hear what Richie Incognito has to say?

    Well, here you go. A television reporter ambushed scored a short interview with the suspended Dolphins offensive lineman as the latter was getting into his car.

    As expected, he didn’t say much.

    Incognito to Channel 7: “I’m just trying to weather the storm right now. It will pass.”

    — Adam Beasley (@AdamHBeasley) November 5, 2013

  20. BillyBaduka says:

    I agree with you Jim. If I owned the team I would make change at the end of the year as well barring a miraculous turnaround. Even with that, I would change up the scouting and draft strategy. Tomlinson would have much less input into picks.

    If the past 5 drafts have been this bad how can this combo be looked upon to turn it around? Seems like wishful thinking to me. The talent evaluation has been abysmal. Not just drafts but players we cut that are successful, John Kuhn, Urbik.

  21. Dom says:

    What’s Hampton been up to?

  22. Jim S. says:

    I also read in the story I referenced earlier this same quote from him. That story said he was outside his home while an expensive sports car was being delivered to him from the west coast. Sounds like he is “weather the storm” ok.

  23. BillyBaduka says:

    Agreed on stopping the run. Part of the turnaround from 98-2000 was drafting Hampton. Wish it was as easy as bringing Casey back.

    They need to make NT a priority. But I have little confidence that the Steelers current draft brain trust will identify the correct prospects.

  24. Jandy says:

    oh about 6’1, 325 ;)

  25. BillyBaduka says:

    Tomlin, not Tomlinson …darn auto correct

  26. Jandy says:

    we knew what you meant :)

  27. Jim S. says:

    It’s a tough call, Billy. In everyday life, we would all want our employers to give us ample time to right the ship when things go badly for a few years after we have proven ourselves in the past. But, results in the NFL are there for everyone to see every single day. And the public perception of a team can plummet quickly, costing the franchise tens of millions of dollars very quickly. That’s a tough life for an NFL coach or executive, but as the old saying goes “That’s why they get paid the big bucks!”

  28. Jim S. says:

    I’d say closer to 425.

  29. Casey Hampton hasn’t seen 325 in 5 years.

    Try 365. (if he goes on a diet)

  30. Jandy says:

    LOL, I guess that answers that ;)

  31. NOT a believer in precipitous firings. Never!

    Coulda fired Hurdle after Collapse I
    Shoulda fired Hurdle after Collapse II
    Now Hurdle Manager of Year

    Wisely (it pains me TREMENDOUSLY to say this) Huntington and Nutting did NOT fire Hurdle.

    Do not be more stupid than Neal Huntington and Bob Nutting, and their inebriated friend:
    Quit talking about firing Tomlin. Let he and Colbert build. Two trips to Super Bowls should not be overlooked.

  32. CWalton_67 says:

    Can YOU fire Steve Pedersen?

  33. Thundercrack says:

    I don’t see a turnaround for next year. I think they have rebuild the roster and their cap situation. And as someone else mentioned, their scouting department should be looked at too.

    I think both Tomlin and Colbert have had enough success (and some of that was recent) that they should be afforded the opportunity to fix things. And I think they are qualified and smart enough to do it.

    I do agree with DK that it doesn’t seem like Tomlin knows how to react (or act) to all this losing

  34. kr70 says:

    wonder if the rookies paid for it?

  35. Jandy says:

    that’s a distinct possibility

  36. Damon says:

    I heard someone on the radio yesterday (Kaboly or Robinson) say that losing Foote has hurt the run defense more than anything. That was his big upside at inside linebacker.

  37. DJ says:

    Not absolving Tomlin and his staff from not coaching up some of these guys, but I think the larger problem lies in draft appeasement.

    Ben wants a tall wide receiver? Say hello to Limas Sweed, Ben.

    Haley wants his Jamaal Charles from his KC days? Hey, we’ve got Chris Rainey for you, Todd.

    Tomlin wants his next Casey Hampton? How’s Ta’Amu Alameda sound to you, Coach T?

    Our talent evaluation and choices in the draft are what’s hurt us the most . . . too many swings and misses. Coaching is a close second.

    And on the topic of coaching, I got a kick out of Tomlin’s comments yesterday that, after watching the tape, it was not really a lack of effort. Here you are the head coach, on the field, witnessing everything unfold in front of your eyes and you are unable to put your finger on root causes? Do you need to watch tape before you can dissect precisely what’s occurring and make appropriate adjustments on the fly on both offense and defense?

    I think that inability, in particular, is one of Coach Tomlin’s weakest traits.

  38. DJ says:

    Meant to post this here, in response to Jim:
    _____________________________

    Not absolving Tomlin and his staff from not coaching up some of these guys, but I think the larger problem lies in draft appeasement.

    Ben wants a tall wide receiver? Say hello to Limas Sweed, Ben.

    Haley wants his Jamaal Charles from his KC days? Hey, we’ve got Chris Rainey for you, Todd.

    Tomlin wants his next Casey Hampton? How’s Ta’Amu Alameda sound to you, Coach T?

    Our talent evaluation and choices in the draft are what’s hurt us the most . . . too many swings and misses. Coaching is a close second.

    And on the topic of coaching, I got a kick out of Tomlin’s comments yesterday that, after watching the tape, it was not really a lack of effort. Here you are the head coach, on the field, witnessing everything unfold in front of your eyes and you are unable to put your finger on root causes? Do you need to watch tape before you can dissect precisely what’s occurring and make appropriate adjustments on the fly on both offense and defense?

    I think that inability, in particular, is one of Coach Tomlin’s weakest traits.

  39. Milo Hamilton says:

    Please ?

  40. theplanisworking says:

    I posted this yesterday……………… he missed OTA’s due to the bullying, and not one single Dolphins staffer asked him why. No one from that organization asked a single question. I believe this was right after the “party” in question where Martin, and others had to fork over the $15,000 dollars.

  41. 21sthebest says:

    I think Rooney needs to perform a post season investigation.

  42. theplanisworking says:

    Probably broke it carrying around that fake wrestling belt………

  43. Jandy says:

    LOL hey hey Hipposter!

  44. Jandy says:

    I just love it when a man begs….

  45. NMR says:

    Only if an intrepid journalist is able to ignite the sea of change.

  46. Jandy says:

    well, there ya go…

  47. Jandy says:

    “intrepid”

    Love it!

  48. Milo Hamilton says:

    I really am willing to negotiate in this case. :)

  49. JohninOshkosh says:

    15 years on paper for Anna Benson. Sure hope that staying away from bars is not one of her probation conditions. She needs someway to make a living.

    Somewhere, the Mets front office is relishing her current state of affairs.

  50. Jandy says:

    set up the negotiation meetings :)

  51. Tom P. says:

    ESPN.com is reporting that the Mariners have hired Lloyd McClendon as their next manager.

  52. theplanisworking says:

    If it isnt the “Fun on a Nun”.

    Whats shaking in BFE today?

  53. theplanisworking says:

    Tomlin will NOT get fired because he was the first hire under the Rooney Rule.
    He is guaranteed to stay at least 1 more year, if not 2.

  54. Milo Hamilton says:

    McClatchy could have turned the Buccos into a cash cow back in those days simply by marketing the wives & the girlfriends.

  55. Jandy says:

    what a hot mess…

  56. Jandy says:

    BFE???

  57. Jason81 says:

    Rainey and Ta’amu weren’t just misses on talent evaluation, they were misses on character too.

  58. theplanisworking says:

    Cant say what it means on a family blog.

    Lets just say it means ” out in the sticks”. :)

  59. Jandy says:

    Ahhhh lol !

    Not much shaking tho. Busy as heck this morning…
    I feel a headache coming on…

  60. theplanisworking says:

    Get better for the Pens game.
    I think it is another 8:00 start, which you love…..

  61. Arriba Wilver says:

    At the risk of starting another firefight, on the Varlamov situation yesterday there were several references to a 911 call with her screaming and him laughing in the background. Some sounded like they had heard the 911 call. I have been unable to find it. Can someone point me to it?

    In looking, it appears that police in Denver, when called to a house on a domestic disturbance call , they are mandated to arrest the alleged perpetrator. No discretion. In this case, from what I can tell, he turned himself in. Also, this, from an interview with her:

    ” There’s a limit to anything. I used to love this man. I wanted to have family with him. I was thinking that he would change over time. But people don’t change. And this event was my limit, my last drop. I didn’t want to go to the police this time either. But when I got back home, I saw my stuff by the door. I was thrown out like a dog. And that was the reason I decided to go to the police. Please tell them that until recently he (Varlamov) was thinking that I was joking with him, that I was just fooling and I wouldn’t go to the police. When I texted him that I was going to the police, he just replied wishing me good luck. He thought that this time he would also remain unpunished.”

    That’s from a translation of an interview with her in the Denver Post.

  62. Jandy says:

    7:30 but that’s bad enough lol. Looking forward to Geno getting a freakin goal!

  63. Jandy says:

    I saw the info about her stuff thrown outside, but have also been unable to find the 911 call.

  64. Arriba Wilver says:

    +1

  65. Milo Hamilton says:

    I think we should just assume he and all other men are guilty because they are men.

  66. JohninOshkosh says:

    Great article on Dorsett’s singular performance against Notre Dame in 1975.

    That was Dan Devine’s first year in South Bend. The Irish had one of the great LB’s in collegiate history in Luther Bradley. TD ran all over him that day.

    My mom was a huge ND fan and I remember listening to that game on radio (!). I became a big TD and Pitt fan that day. Man, they had some talent in those days.

  67. Arriba Wilver says:

    Good point in the first part of your post on the graft situation. Whatever happened to “best athlete available?”

    I was talking to my uncle this past weekend, who is a huge Bears fan ( he lives in the Chicago area). We were in an airport watching the beginning of the Steelers game, and discussing the plight of the Steelers. He mentioned that he was very impressed with Cowher as an analyst. He said he seemed to be a great judge of talent. Thought that was interesting, because he was just going from Cowher as an analyst.

  68. Arriba Wilver says:

    Graft? NO, draft. I wasn’t accusing anybody of anything illegal. ;-)

  69. Jandy says:

    pfffft!

  70. Jandy says:

    LOL! Slip of the knife…errrr…keyboard ;)

  71. NMR says:

    What an incredibly sad interview.

    Terribly obvious that this man enjoyed abusing power even more than abusing alcohol and women.

  72. NMR says:

    Is this really the spot you wanna pick?

    Come on, man.

  73. Jandy says:

    I took it for sarcasm.

  74. NMR says:

    Obviously.

  75. Milo Hamilton says:

    Just regurgitating what I learned here yesterday. Quite the education.

  76. Bizrow says:

    Is it just me or is sports and their players turning thing into soap operas?

  77. Jandy says:

    Don’t be upset with Sarah, Milo.

  78. Jandy says:

    It’s not just you.

    How is retirement going, Biz???? :)

  79. NMR says:

    Thanks for sticking up for all the persecuted men out there. We really have it tough.

  80. Milo Hamilton says:

    Pitt opened their 1976 season in South Bend in a nationally televised game (you can find it on YouTube). the higher ups at Notre Dame were so spooked by the 303 yard performance on Pitt Stadium’s pool table like astro turf, they let the grass at Notre Dame stadium grow ankle high. And it worked. Dorsett only gained 181 yards that day & Pitt won that one too.

  81. Milo Hamilton says:

    You’re welcome.

  82. Jandy says:

    And it DOES work both ways, NMR, look at the Benson mess…

  83. Jandy says:

    OK, taking a break here. My head is pounding, and I have two sub-contracts to review. UGH.
    Catch yinz in a bit…

  84. Thundercrack says:

    So 7 years as a head coach is still not long enough time to get fired?

    So Tomlin would be save under cover for 8 or 9 years with your ‘statute of limitations’ for being the first hired under the Rooney Rule

  85. Dom says:

    Great pick. Lloyd’s the man.

  86. Bizrow says:

    Good, how have things been here?

    With my wife Cathy also unemployed we have to share the computer, time to get another one so I can post more ;-)

  87. NMR says:

    Missed seeing you pop up over the last couple days. Figured you moved on to bigger and better!

  88. Arriba Wilver says:

    Could be. But yesterday it was all about a 911 call with her screaming and him laughing in the background. I’m just trying to figure out what the facts are. Is that somehow verboten because it’s a woman accusing a man? If you dare try to find out the facts, you are automatically calling her a liar? That’s a scary place to be for me, regardless of gender, race, color or religion.

  89. NMR says:

    Wait, what?

  90. Arriba Wilver says:

    Fact-finding. It’s the great equalizer to me. Once we can agree on the facts it’s much easier to solve problems because many conflicts are based on having different views on what the facts are, not really on how to deal with them once/if you can agree on them. Your “facts” seemed to have ended with an allegation. That to me is dangerous for us as a society. And I got attacked yesterday for merely suggesting it was fair to hear the accused’s side (hear it) before acting. You don’t find that a troubling concept?

  91. Jandy says:

    Pouliot, 19, has starred for the Portland Winterhawks since returning to the team, contributing 15 points (3G-12A) and a plus-15 in 14 games with the team. He leads all team blueliners in goals, assists, points and plus/minus.

    Earlier this season in a game against the Tri-City Americans, Pouliot notched a pair of assists and was on the ice for all eight Portland goals for and zero goals against – accumulating a plus-7 figure.

    Pouliot, who was drafted by the Penguins with the No. 8-overall selection in the first round of the 2012 NHL Draft, scored one goal in two exhibition games with Pittsburgh.

    Can someone explain to me how you can be on the ice for all 8 goal for…and not on for any against…and be a +7???

  92. Jandy says:

    Not from me you didn’t.

  93. 21sthebest says:

    +1

  94. Milo Hamilton says:

    You don’t get a plus if you’re on the ice for a power play goal.

  95. Jandy says:

    Ahhh indeed, I forgot that situation. Thanks Milo!

  96. Arriba Wilver says:

    Nope. I said all along I agreed with your view.

  97. Arriba Wilver says:

    Which was, let’s get the facts. Not really that hard, right? ;-)

  98. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Agree!!

    But I’m not sure that the WR core is the heart of the issue with the Steelers.

  99. Milo Hamilton says:

    No problem. You don’t get a minus the other way either.

  100. NMR says:

    “At a news conference Thursday afternoon, Vavrinyuk pointed to her chest, stomach, head, neck and arms — places where she said he had left bruises. In a police report, a detective had made note of bruises.”

    Please, Sherlock, what other “facts” need presented?

    DK: Honestly, the default mode here for so many is just sickening.

  101. Milo Hamilton says:

    Duke lacrosse ring any bells ?

  102. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    And that’s a huge problem.

    I don’t have a problem with the coaching staff going to a veteran lineman and asking him to toughen him up, however, Incognito’s approach was a way off. You toughen him up on the field, in the locker room by other tatics, not verbal assault on the man and his family.

    I’m pretty certain that other coaches in all organizations ask vets to do this sort of thing, that’s using their leadership abilities, but I’m sure they didn’t say to use a racially motivating style.

    The Dolphins not getting to the heart of the matter is a huge issue.

  103. Bizrow says:

    No place better than here ;-)

  104. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    How is his broken collerbone Karma for Rodgers?

  105. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Mike Golic going off on Dan LeBatard about the Dolphins incident. A former player standing up for both players in this incident to a media guy that has never been in a locker room.

    To Golic’s side, he understood both sides of it but didnt agree with how Incognito handled it. Thought Martin should’ve stood up for himself a little more, but understood him walking away from it as well.

  106. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I don’t like the “Rooney Rule” suggestion either.

    I dont think he’ll be fired either, but not because of the rule.

    Could be a personal Rooney Rule of not firing their head coaches and sticking by them.

  107. Damon says:

    Pouliot, Dumoulin and Sutter for Staal might turn out to be a steal in a few years….

  108. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Honestly, Tomlin shouldn’t know how to react to this losing. He hasn’t gone through anything like this before, at least as the head coach of the Steelers.

    Let him see if he can fix the problem and trust the reason they hired him.

  109. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Exactly!!! He’s probably a little too large to play these days.

  110. Arriba Wilver says:

    Sherlock? OK, I get it. No discussion needed. That’s a BS response to what I thought was a serious discussion. OK, put him away and throw away the key and make sure he never plays another game in the NHL. How dare someone suggest getting his side of the story first.

    By the way, did you miss that I said yesterday it was highly unlikely she was making it up. Your response makes me think of a word that starts with “A” and ends with hole.

    Still waiting for the 911 call.

    Question. Have you ever been pulled over by the police for something you didn’t do?

  111. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    To answer DK’s question about how to fix the problems with the Steelers is tough to do.

    There seems to be many issues,but I think it comes down to 1 of 2 things.

    1. Play calling
    2. Talent level

    Is the play calling wrong for the situation or is the player talent level not there for the play calling?

    If its the play calling, time to find new coordinators, which would fix the issues quicker.

    If its the talent level, this could be a long, uphill climb for the organization.

  112. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I just figured this +/- thing out the other day, thanks to the blog.

    I still think it’s a rather wierd stat to track.

  113. Jandy says:

    It’s already in our favor, the way I see it. Staal isn’t exactly doing well in Carolina…

  114. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Get a smart phone, follow DK on twitter and he usually tags links to the blog. That’s how I do it on the weekends.

  115. Jandy says:

    it isn’t the be-all, end-all stat, but it shows a bit how well a player performs overall.

  116. Jandy says:

    Yup, totally slipped my mind…:)

  117. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    eh, does it though? I mean, do they get an extra one for an assist or goal?

    Its just whether they are on the ice or not, right?

  118. Jandy says:

    Bizzy, just get a lappy. Hubby and I share one…he e-bays a bit…but when I want it, I get it ;)

  119. Jandy says:

    exactly. I ALWAYS want to hear both sides.
    Women can be very sneaky.

    I think he is guilty, but I still want the facts.

    :)

  120. Arriba Wilver says:

    DK– do you have a link to the 911 call? Or any backup that she was screaming and he was laughing? All I’m asking for now is factual backup. (Yesterday all I was saying was that it was fair to hear his side before taking action) now, I’m asking for more because of this, if you dare don’t bow down and accept this without any questions you’re a bum. I just have what I consider to be reasonable questions, and I get this BS from Sarah and NMR, which you apparently support.

    DK: I’m not convicting the guy. I’m saying there’s enough there to get him the hell out of the NHL until someone figures it out. This isn’t a court system. It’s a private employer. If he’s damaging the brand — and he is — you get him the hell out.

  121. Bizrow says:

    Thats on the list too, I do follow Dejan but my phone is pretty archaic

  122. Jandy says:

    LOL Ryan.

    If the player is on the ice when his team scores, he gets a plus. if he is on the ice when the opposing team scores, he gets a minus.

    Except PP goals, or penalty kill goals allowed, as Milo reminded me.

    The points assigned for goals scored or assists on the goal scored is a totally different stat, friend :)

  123. Jandy says:

    And don’t EVEN get me started on cops, especially small town cops. I can’t stand them.

  124. Jandy says:

    lol! Revvie is Spunkt today!!!

    LOL Revvie is Spunky today :P

    ;

  125. Daquido_Bazzini says:

    There’s alot of issues with the Steelers (certainly play calling is one of them) but unfortunately “lack of talent” is the biggest issue.
    I have a tough time identifying even one younger player that is currently on the upswing.
    I guess one could say Cam Heyward…..But it took him three years to get to just to this point.
    This is going to take a major fix, and the way the cap problems are described makes it clear that it can’t be done in a year or two.

    I think there comes a time (and the time has arrived) where reality sets in.
    Winning is always a priority, but this team needs to find out who is worth keeping between now and the end of December.
    They also need to get the highest position on the chart draft wise, and that won’t happen trying to save some face at 7-9 or 8-8.
    Two years ago the Colts bottomed out, and they’ve been right back in the hunt since then.
    That is the only realistic way out of this mess anytime soon.

  126. Jandy says:

    friggin Jandy typos

  127. Arriba Wilver says:

    I think he’s probably guilty, too, Jandy my friend. I have a problem with the process that is taking place here, which apparently the Boss supports.

  128. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I know. So I don’t get the point of the +/- stat. That’s why I say its weird.

    they do get one for a shorty also…..

  129. Thundercrack says:

    I heard LeBatard on their show yesterday and I didn’t hear Golic go off on him then.

    LeBatard was on the Michael Kay show (NYC) and I thought he, again, gave some very thoughtful insight.

    A few other things from LeBetard:
    -Incognito got Tannehill to buy him a set of jet skis
    -Incognito has been playing very poorly, so it wouldn’t be that great of a loss if he never comes back to the Dolphins.

  130. Jandy says:

    I gotcha, AW. Been there :)

  131. Jandy says:

    It’s definitely a weird stat, Ryan.

    Yes, they get points for a shorty goal scored…just not on the +/-

  132. Arriba Wilver says:

    +1

  133. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    That’s the way I lean towards as well.

    Talent level. I don’t like all the play calls, but I would assume they are made based on the players’ ability.

    I don’t see the team tanking to get a better draft position. I don’t think this team is 1 player away from swinging the pendulum to the winning side.

    Cutting ties with certain players, may hurt them even longer with the cap issue. If you’re paying them, might as well have them on the team.

    The Raiders are a prime example right now for cap hits Daq, they are currently paying 4 players upwards of $40 Million, however, next year, they are the team to watch. All of the money falls off and they are free to spend again.

    I don’t know the Steelers cap requirements or limititions to address that subject even further.

  134. NMR says:

    Arriba,

    Ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, you got some bad information regurgitated on an internet blog?

    The victim claimed in an interview that Varlomov was laughing while he brutally beat her. Not on the 911 call.

    What possible difference does that make?

  135. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I just watched it. Got pretty heated. Not sure when it was, I assume this morning.

  136. I abhor violence on all levels, especially against women, children and the elderly. Not just because I’m a minister, but because I live by the Bible and anyone who does hates it, too.

    I’ve never hit a woman and very few men, except on the football field, but having said all that, I have to agree with AW. This is America, not Russia. This guy and any guy or gal is innocent until proven guilty. You can get bruised in many ways, even bruise yourself. Not saying she did, but she could have.

    There are, obviously, to coin a word, two distinct sides to every story and they must be heard before judgment is passed.

  137. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    4 players that are NOT on the team.

  138. NMR says:

    And there is an obvious difference between finding facts, such as the physical brusing documented by police in the exact areas she claimed to have been beaten, and going on a wild goose chase looking for any possible reason to doubt her story, like trying to track down a phantom 911 call you heard about on an internet blog.

  139. Jandy says:

    You need some more coffee, Ryan?
    :P

  140. Proud to be the recipient of a Jandy-typo post this day, my lady.

    :)

  141. Jandy says:

    LOL! You always make me smile, Revvie!

  142. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I thought if they get a shorty, they get a +, but not get the + on the PP?

    This is almost like understanding WAR and all the other lame-@$$ stats associated with baseball.

  143. Dan H says:

    DK –

    Changes Steelers can/should make this year:

    On Offense:

    - Spread formations. Ben is most comfortable in this set. And the Steelers seemingly don’t have ability to operate out of tighter sets. It gives Bell more room to break runs, and also more space for AB. I think this also allows the offensive line to better identify who is coming on the pass rush since not as many people can be around the line of scrimmage.

    - Work in Wheaton on offense now that he is healthy. He is fast and looked good in pre-season. Let’s find out where he is and if he can be a contributor next year.

    - Try Gilbert at left tackle. Beachum has been about as bad as Adams. Not expecting much here, but at least worth trying.

    - Also have to give more help to the left tackle, no matter who. Adams got roasted agains the Vikings. But honestly… who didn’t expect at least some of that 1-on-1 against Jared Allen? The coaches failed in that game at least as much as Adams for not giving him help from a TE or back.

    Defense:

    - Play Jarvis Jones. I’ll just reiterate DK’s points.

    - Play more of Wood on the DL. Let’s see what we’ve got there, and he looked good before. No need to see more of Hood at this point.

    - Play more of Shamarko Thomas. Doesn’t have to mean benching either Polamalu or Clark, but I’d like to see Thomas rotated into the base defense to start to get some looks.

    - Play more aggressively throughout. D-line should look to penetrate more than play 2 gaps. DBs should play more press coverage. The more conservative ‘tackle the catch’ philosophy is not working. Probably part is personnel, part is the continued ramp towards offense that the NFL has dictated. Either way, it isn’t working. The defense NEEDS to find a way to make more plays, even if it means a more aggressive, risky style. We know the status quo isn’t working.

    That’s all I’ve got for this year. Offseason/next year… my biggest concern with the coaching staff is the inability to develop young players. Maybe Gilbert and Adams don’t have what it takes. But Adams in particular seems to have regressed from last year. That shouldn’t happen and a lot of that is on coaches. That seems to be throughout most of the young players. The only young player who is on the rise is Heyward, and the coaches didn’t play him until recently. I’m not sure if this is on Tomlin, the coordinators, or the assistants. But I think there needs to be some changes that address the inability to get young players up to speed and performing.

    The NFL has changed. Players don’t get to develop for 2-3 years before they play. They should be ready in their first 2 years. That is the standard, and the Steelers are below the line.

    DK: This is great, Dan. Thanks, and welcome!

  144. Then I’ve accomplished something today.

    ;)

  145. Jandy says:

    Milo? Can you clarify this for us, please?

  146. NMR says:

    How can it be any more obvious that this is the EXACT type of thinking that ENABLES these abusers?

    Nobody will believe you, its your word against mine.

    This isn’t a friggin’ traffic stop. It is a brutal beating of a female for christ sake.

  147. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I actually don’t drink coffee and I’m in a awesome mood.

  148. 21sthebest says:

    Couldn’t agree more Lucky. I’ve always been proud to say that between my wife, son, and me, none of us have ever hit anyone or been hit.

  149. Thundercrack says:

    On the radio LeBetard said that Martin may have thought about fighting Incognito but decided against it because Incognito has a screw loose (obviously) and is one of the strongest guys on the team.

    I wondered what would have been the reaction if Martin did fight Incognito and they both got hurt and couldn’t play the rest of the season. When they asked Martin why he started a fight and his answer was “because I wanted to stop the bullying”. Wonder what everyone would have said then.

    And I still can’t get over why it is so hard for jocks to understand that when they say “why didn’t he do something about it?” —-Martin did do something about it. He decided to leave and get away from that environment. Not every conflict, no matter how macho the atmosphere/culture, has to be decided with violence.

  150. Jandy says:

    Ahh here it is, yes, a shorty counts to the +

    “DC FURY answered 6 years ago

    the +/- is the sign for what’s called a players plus minus. it is the calculation of how many goals are scored for and against your team when you are on the ice. if you are on the ice when there is a goal scored against it is a -1, but if you are on the ice when a goal is scored for your team it is a +1. however if your team is shorthanded and scored against it does not affect your +/- rating, but if you are on the ice when a shorthanded goal is scored it is a +1. you receive a +/- rating after every game and it is then added up for your overall +/-.

  151. Jandy says:

    LOL! I wasn’t commenting on your mood, friend. Just that you are typing like me (jandy typos) abnd might need a boost ;)

  152. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Agree with Thomas. I think he might wind up being the best pick in that draft. Just young and has to learn, but I’ve been impressed with his play thus far.

  153. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Oh I’ve never been shy about my spelling/typing issues. That’s what spell check is for and I don’t have it with this blog.

  154. How does it enable anyone to hear both sides?

    It’s your kind of narrow thinking that get’s innocent people convicted every day.

    And it’s not for Christ’s sake, it’s for ours.

    Nobody is exonerating the guy. Just let him have due process. If he’s guilty, hang him upside down by his family jewels, but he’s living in America. Give him the right to defend himself.

  155. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    And that’s what they were discussing as well. Golic’s point was that he was standing up for himself and that fights in the locker room are broken up quickly.

    He also said that he didn’t have a problem with him walking away either, he has just not seen that approach before. He thought the fight would’ve/could’ve ended the situation.

    I didn’t take it has him calling Martin out or siding with Incognito.

  156. Daquido_Bazzini says:

    Again…It’s got to start with the highest draft position possible.
    From there, they can wheel and deal for more picks (if they choose).
    I don’t like to use the term “tank the season”, and you can bet no one in an NFL position will either, but you go with younger and less-developed guys and let it take its course.
    Realistically…This team isn’t going to win more than about three games in the second half anyway.

  157. Jandy says:

    Dejan’s wish is to get Varlamov out of the NHL. And I agree.

    NMR has a totally different beef. (I’m not picking, just saying).

    it’s apples and oranges here.

  158. 21sthebest says:

    I think DeCastro is on the upswing.

  159. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Ha Ha, I knew something about hockey that you dont!!!

    I win for the day.

    Actually, I asked it a couple of days ago and Eric broke it down simply for me.

    Things need to be simple for me otherwise, I’m lost.

  160. Daquido_Bazzini says:

    I hope so!

  161. Jandy says:

    I love how Spunky stated that….with the family jewels.

    I do feel due process should be followed…and a court decide who is guilty and who is not.

    There is another facet of these type situations that happens. The guy (let’s say he IS guilty) posts bail. He’s pissed, so he goes back after the girl, only this time he kills her.

    Now it’s too late.

  162. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    You’re right. Let’s see what they have out there from the younger guys.

    Does that include Landry Jones?

    Seriously, what was that pick about?

    I like LJ, I really do and he had a great career in OU, but it was a wasted pick, if you ask me.

  163. Daquido_Bazzini says:

    I would most definitely play Thomas more in the second half of this season.
    He shows potential, but that lack of size of his is always going to be a concern to me.

  164. Jandy says:

    LOL Your new nickname will be Simple Cali
    or Simple Ryan
    ;)

  165. Jandy says:

    I *AM* just kidding, friend.

    :D

  166. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Let the courts handle this lunatic (not one of DK’s), but the team must do something. Suspend him indefinetly and if the findings become false, reinstate him. (I don’t see how they could be false)

    Incognito gets suspended for words, this dude beats up a woman.

    Something is wrong here.

  167. Good point, Jandy.

    And, as for DK’s comment to AW, I could care less about the NHL brand. Put the guy in prison if he’s guilty and throw away the key.

    Or do the other we described.

    :|

  168. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    It will make your life easier.

  169. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Either or, they are fitting.

  170. 21sthebest says:

    +1

  171. 21sthebest says:

    Agree Ryan.

  172. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Oh I know…..I can figure that stuff out.

    (Biting my tongue)

  173. Jandy says:

    Ryan THAT is indeed Dejan’s point. Something is wrong with the NHL. They lack leadership from Bettman.

    Spunky, I support either method ;)

  174. Jandy says:

    Gotta love a guy who can laugh at himself :)

  175. theplanisworking says:

    If the Steelers were going to play the young guys for next year, they would have already done so by now.
    They were delusional to think they could still make the playoffs.

    I see tomlin NOT playing the young guys, because he wants to win as many as possible.
    This will do 3 things:

    1) Stunt the development of the young players,
    2) Screw the draft position,
    3) Allow him to keep denying player decisions were wrong.

    I see this team pulling out a few more victories, and settling for a 10-4 draft choice, where if they would play the young guys, they could get a 4-8 draft choice.

    But, thats football, I guess.

  176. Jandy says:

    careful! you’ll bleed :P

  177. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I don’t believe it’s an issue at safety. He is only an inch shorter than Troy.

  178. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Nah, I dont do it that hard, not into self-mutilation.

  179. Jandy says:

    it’s going to be a couple more seasons before we see consistent improvement.

  180. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    whoa, whoa, whoa..

    Who’s laughing?

    For the amount that I pick on people, I better be able to take it when its thrown my way.

  181. Arriba Wilver says:

    Like I said, just hear his side of the story, which they did. Now I’m accused of all kinds of things.

    NMR– what does it matter? People on here were coming to conclusions based on the alleged 911 call. If it didn’t happen, that doesn’t trouble you? I’m not saying it means that he didn’t kick her or laugh, but a recording of that is better than an allegation with no backup. You think everything she said is true and accurate? Everything? Facts don’t matter?

    What’s kind of weird is I’m getting painted as supporting the Avs’ decision to keep him playing, and all I’m talking about is the process. I don’t know whether they made the right decision or not. But they had to talk to him, and in fairness should have. But this idea that because of the issue involved any questions make you an outlier is McCarthyism to me. And that includes DK’s bold reamings. Very disappointing.

  182. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I know it is and I agree with him on that.

    For Bettman to sit back and do nothing, is pathetic.

    This guy has needed it for awhile but,

    #FireBettman

  183. NMR says:

    Lucky,

    Nobody has ever suggested both sides not be heard.

    Nobody.

    The enabling comes when we begin to question this woman like SHE is the one that committed the crime. Like SHE is the one that has something to hide. Think about the specific type of crime we’re talking about. Rarely is there traditional evidence like eye witnesses, fingerprints, video. Time and time again it has been proven that predators rely on this type of thinking to convince their victims that they won’t be believed. And sadly, they are absolutely correct.

    This isn’t my opinion. It is sad, cold fact.

  184. All just “Coachspeak.”

    1/ The team we are playing this week might be the greatest of all time.

    2/ Can’t comment on the particular performances until I see the tape.

  185. theplanisworking says:

    My feeling is similar to daquido’s……..

    blow it up this year, suffer the cap consequences next year, then have a good plan to rebuild. By continuing to play the players that wont be in the Steelers future, it only hampers their ability to improve, and keeps kicking the can down the road.

    Bite the bullet, and dont drag this process out.

  186. Fair enough, NMR.

    I guess I don’t have a predator mentality, nor do I know it, thank God, and I never will.

  187. NMR says:

    Lucky,

    It is every one of our duties to understand predatory mentality, ESPECIALLY someone with close access to children.

  188. theplanisworking says:

    Agree on much of what you said.
    I would also add, it is high time the coaches adapt to the talent they have, not continuing to try to force square pegs in round holes.

    As for playing more press coverage, when the Steelers did try that on 2 or so plays, they got burned deep, one for a lengthy touchdown. The talent is not there to win with.

    Offseason, the Steelers need to blow things up, but I dont see that happeneing. I see minor adjustments, and more pomposity from those involved. Quite sad if you aske me.

    Oh, and before Jandy bites you……………. have you listed your location so we might know ehere you are joining us from? If you post it, Bizrow keeps track of those things on the blog………

  189. Arriba Wilver says:

    Sarah questioned it yesterday, but since facts don’t matter, who cares.

  190. NMR says:

    Arriba,

    The 911 phone call situation has nothing to do with the investigation. It was incorrect information you picked up on the blog. And ONE person referenced it, and she clearly used more than that to come to her conclusion.

    As I said before, not a single person on here has suggested facts be left covered. But when you have a situation where the alleged victim has given no inconsistencies in her story, has shown no motive to lie, and has physical evidence of abuse in the exact areas where she claims to have been beaten, why continue to put the burden on HER?

  191. NMR says:

    “At a news conference Thursday afternoon, Vavrinyuk pointed to her chest, stomach, head, neck and arms — places where she said he had left bruises. In a police report, a detective had made note of bruises.”

    #fact

  192. Arriba Wilver says:

    +1

  193. Another good point. I have 3 grand children, all girls, all under 5.

    Even in this under-populated wasteland we live in here, there are those types.

  194. Dan H says:

    I’m in Columbus, OH.

    BTW, you’re right about getting beat in press. But we’re getting beat in zone too. I guess I’m resigned to the likely fact that we will continue to get beat. I’m hoping that at least by pressing more, we’ll at least somewhat balance getting beat with making some stops and/or (gasp) turnovers.

    Also great point about adapting to the talent they do have.

  195. Arriba Wilver says:

    You are wrong on all counts, You are incorrect that only one person referenced the 911 call. Plan did on multiple occasions. He’s not a “she” as far as I know. DK referenced the laughing. I have no idea how you came to your other conclusions that
    “But when you have a situation where the alleged victim has given no inconsistencies in her story, has shown no motive to lie, and has physical evidence of abuse in the exact areas where she claims to have been beaten, why continue to put the burden on HER?”

    How do you know that! I haven’t put the burden on her at all. I’m getting excoriated because I’m asking questions. And the fact I’m asking questions I’m getting accused of all sorts off things by you, Sarah and DK. Yes, as the father of three daughters I find questions about my sensitivity to these issues insulting. And that’s what’s happening. I have a knee jerk reaction? Puh-leeeze. To hell with anyone who thinks that in their ivory tower. My guess is I have way more hands on experience with these issues than the people criticizing my posts, including DK.

    Do I have to mention every time I think he’s probably guilty?

  196. Jandy says:

    Welcome to the Asylum, Dan :)

  197. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    What if they have been adapting though?

  198. Jandy says:

    Oh, and pay Plan no mind. I don’t bite, I kick ;)

  199. Arriba Wilver says:

    I know, I know, I’m a “fellow traveler.”

  200. Dom says:

    To add to your list, we should let Dwyer get a larger portion of the carries. We’re using Bell too much and we don’t need him to get any wear and tear on the tires for a lost season.

    However, our biggest goal for the rest of the year should be to lose every game. We need to obtain OT Bruce Mathews or OT Taylor Lewan to solidify LT for the next decade to come.

  201. NMR says:

    How do I know that?

    I read the godd*mn police report.

    Probably a good place to start in your “fact finding” mission.

  202. theplanisworking says:

    Dan, first, I love Columbus. Have been there many times for concerts that skipped Pittsburgh. That city got it……….. first it was a capital and university town, then they added Health Sytems, and other industries.

    Your point about getting beat in both press coverage, and zone coverage brings a great point…………. a lot of posters here seem to be clamoring for the “4-3 Tampa 2″ defense Tomlin used to run. That defense only works if you have 4 very good D-Lineman, and 2 great corners. Who on the Steelers fits that description? The 3-4 is supposed to hide those flaws…… D-Lineman occupy gaps, LB’s put pressure on the QB, protecting the DB’s. That isnt happening either. But Tomlin, and LeBeau just keep doing the same things, even though they dont have the talent to do it anymore.

    But I ask this question all the time…….. what do I know?? ;)

  203. Jandy says:

    Wow, this discussion is getting very heated.

    NMR, I see your passion about this subject in your responses, not only to AW, but to myself as well. As I said yesterday, you are very black/white. I’ll let that be at that.

    AW, I feel your pain. I get painted pretty badly at times too. We all need to take step back here and breathe deeply.

  204. Jandy says:

    Dan, the answer to that last question of plan’s is:

    More than he lets on ;)

  205. NMR says:

    Flame me all you want, but Dejan deserves no criticism.

    His thoughts are 100% consistent with how he treated the PSU/Sandusky scandal and all those people accusing him of not waiting for the “facts” to come out.

    DK: Those people would still have all of us waiting, by the way.

  206. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    If we stay where we’re at we still might have a chance at Mathews, what a beast.

    I agree with Dwyer as well. Let Bell get the bulk, but JD needs to touch the ball more.

  207. Arriba Wilver says:

    NMR–you don’t see a difference between audio or video proof compared to verbal proof? That would be a dangerous change to the US justice system. So, if in a certain situation a verbal allegation deserves the same credibility as video or audio proof? Or documentary proof? Wowsa! I hope no one ever gets upset with you,

  208. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    The 4-3 Tampa 2 is what Tomlin used to run in Minny and learned from the master, Tony Dungy.

    I don’t believe anybody in here references that defensive scheme in regards to this current group of players, but assume Tomlin would move to that scheme if Lebeau moves on.

    This team WAS built on the 3-4, which they have used for YEARS, so therefore wouldn’t have the ponies up front to run such a scheme.

    Though I think Cam Heyward might be a decent DE in a 4-3.

  209. Arriba Wilver says:

    I pity the fool who relies on police reports to convict someone. But it would save us lots of money.

    Oh yeah, Dejan does. He backed you and accused me of a knee-jerk reaction to this gender issue. That’s very insulting to me, as I’ve stated above.

  210. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I say was, because I really don’t know what the hell it has been built on in recent years.

  211. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    It just got real, AW pulls out the Mr. T within him!

    Well played sir, well played.

  212. theplanisworking says:

    Regarding losing the rest of the games to get an OT………

    First, Tomlin wont let that happen. I see them fighting to get to 6 wins, like I predicted pre-season. That will get them a pick from 8-15.

    Second, taking an OT early is a risk. St Louis, Miami, Buffalo, etc have done this in years past, and that isnt working too well for them. No Matter where the Steelers pick, they have to do on of 2 things………

    1) Take the best possible player, regardless of position, or
    2) Trade the pick for multiple picks in return.

    Anything other than that, the rebuilding process will take even longer.

  213. Jandy says:

    YOU’RE laughing :P

    and yes, I agree.

    I told NMR yesterday, I give as good as I get, and man, was he getting me good.

    We understand each other, though, so it’s all good.

  214. Jandy says:

    Rodgers was one of Braun’s staunchest supporters, ripping those who called Braun out.

    To me, this is karma.

  215. Jandy says:

    APB out for Jim S. Come in Jim S.

  216. Milo Hamilton says:

    I think he’s busy trying to figure out what in the world the Cubs are doing.

  217. Dom says:

    I wonder if we might miss out on both guys. In the past few drafts, OLMan have been flying off of the board. It seems that the only exception was DaCastro in 2012. OT have really been the hot commodity. Three of the top four picks in last year’s draft was OT and another was taken with the 11th and 19th overall picks. Some rank Mathews as the 2nd best player in the draft. I doubt he’ll fall to us.

  218. Jandy says:

    LOL well when he does, maybe he can let us know ;)

  219. I think he’s travelling on business.

  220. theplanisworking says:

    Excuse me.

    Plan did not reference the 911 tape “multiple times”.

    Plan referenced the 911 tape once, at 10:25AM.

    I have stayed out of the conversation about this today. Please dont try to drag me in this, or state misinformation.

    Thank You.

    Resume arguing.

  221. Jandy says:

    I see he posted this morning, but not since.

  222. theplanisworking says:

    You have 2 “businesses”.
    Does that mean you travel more? ;)

  223. Dom says:

    Unfortunately, you are correct. We’ll probably end up with the 10th overall pick or so and we’ll miss out on both OTs.

    I would LOVE it if a team like the Browns, who are clearly looking to move up to take their franchise QB, made a deal with us. But I doubt that will happen as the Browns wouldn’t be interested with a deal with a division rival and the first two picks in the draft will go to the Jags and Buccaneers and they’ll be grabbing the to QBs.

  224. Milo Hamilton says:

    Plan,

    This isn’t an argument, it’s a spirited discussion. OK, it’s an argument.

  225. NMR says:

    Of course I see the difference, AW.

    Now please tell me how one can convict 99% of domestic and sexual abusers with your antiquated thinking?

    We HAVE to approach these situations differently. There is no choice.

    Chosing to fall back on traditional evidence will continue to enable predators. You hear the same thing time and time again from victims.

    I obviously know that this makes it easier to fabricate accusations. But I will side with those ACTUAL victims who are afraid to come forward in fear of not being believed over the POTENTIAL of a person being wrongly accused ever single day.

    And I’m damn proud of it.

  226. Jandy says:

    Milo, make up your mind…

    well…

    ;)

  227. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Aparently, I missed a good discussion yesterday.

    I just give people flack because I like to, but when I agree with them, I admit it.

  228. theplanisworking says:

    Regardless of how many wins the Steelers get, I think the most prudent thing to do in the draft is to trade the 1st round pick in exchange for multiple picks. The Steelers many woes wont be solved by one player.

    I might go as far as to have them trade their pick in every top round for bonus picks……. at least the 1st 3 rounds. That would get 5-6 more picks to fill holes. But, then we get back to the people doing the picking.

    The steelers have many problems, and they are great.

  229. NMR says:

    Hey, I saw my name!

    Honestly Jandy, I think about 90% of our “disagreements” wouldn’t even happen if we were speaking in person.

    Too much lost in internet translation!

  230. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    OK.

    I’ll disagree that this is Karma for that, but who knows, I’m not in charge of the Karma Factory.

  231. Jandy says:

    LOL! You may be right, NMR. We usually manage to sort things out pretty well.

    I wasn’t complaining or picking, just sayin’

    I enjoy the give and go on this blog…but sometimes it gets a bit too heavy…

  232. Jandy says:

    That’s your prerogative, Ryan. Good thing you’re not in charge of the Karma department lol

  233. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Not a bad plan, Plan, but I don’t see them making moves like that.

    This years draft is going to be different from what the Steelers have been used to since they draft BBR so I think status quo is out the window.

    I’m always cool with trading picks to get more picks if the main guy on your board can be had later in the round.

  234. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Who knows if we miss out or not. Both guys could blow out their knees as well.

  235. Dom says:

    Speaking of the NFL draft, we have ONLY six months to go.

    Today is the exact 1/2-year mark till the draft commences.

  236. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Which is the only good thing to come from this season.

    Shame. Is it over yet?

  237. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I for one, would not want to hurt anyone’s actual feelings.

    Maybe just their internet feelings.

  238. Less, actually.

    And they call it “bidness” here.

    ;)

  239. I see the Tigers have named Dave Clark outfield instructor. Hope he instructs his outfielders to stay away from each other and the wall.

  240. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I honestly don’t have a problem with him backing the DB however, I do find it funny that he put his paycheck on the line for him and that backfired, so that part is pretty cool.

    Is that the Karma part you’re talking about?

    I personally think AR is class act even though the guy he backed is anything but.

  241. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Plus 3B coach.

    Clark has been praised in the past (I don’t remember by whom) for is coaching style and was thought to be in on some managerial positions.

    Never saw a guy play with a bigger pinch in his lip than DC.

  242. It was him and Armbrister in that horrific collision in right center several years ago, wasn’t it?

  243. theplanisworking says:

    Thats right, I remember dusty Rhodes saying “bidness” all the time.
    Funny dialect in the bluegrass, which is green………

  244. buggee says:

    * the “metropolitan” division is far too reminiscent of the NY Mets. UGH. Bettman strikes again.
    * Buh Bye coach obvious. aint gonna happen but…
    * Looking forward to the Panthers hoops season in the ACC. This should be fun.
    * When Yev-Genny gets on the score sheet (which I believe will be tonight), look out cuz I think he’s gonna explode!
    * Jandy, can you do an offensive game plan for haley this week? Would it consist of telling Ben, “Dude, just do what you want!”
    * AJ Burnett should have run for mayor of the city of Pittsburgh. of course he would have had to move into the city limits, but hey, the dude’s got some caysh! Tell me da ‘Burgh wouldn’t jump all over dat one! Imagine the fist pumping at budget meetings! What a total hoot.

    Dat’s all I got for now from the big apple ‘n’ ‘at. I’ll be at MSG tonight with my Kasparitis jerzee on, right behind the Ole two-niner, mister Bulaklak. c-yinz, and don’t forget to…

    ETCH IT!

  245. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Brumfield.

  246. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Nelson Cruz as Pirates RFer. Any thoughts?

    No this did not happen, but….

  247. George Labecki says:

    Dejan’s point re: damaging the brand is right out of Crisis Management 101: admit responsibility and remove the product. Anyone have any bad feelings about Tylenol? Probably not. How about if you hear the term Exxon Valdes or maybe more recently BP in the Gulf. From that perspective, Avs failed to get it right.

  248. NMR says:

    How many times do you think Jandy has wanted to punch my internet face?

    :)

  249. theplanisworking says:

    Mercy. ;)

  250. NMR says:

    I have like a billion snarky ones, but I like you, so I’ll say that the only reason I’d want Cruz is for the sweet puns Dejan would throw in his headlines.

  251. NMR says:

    Upon further review, that may have also been snarky.

  252. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I agree. I’m not a huge fan of him signing with the Pirates.

    Price tag too high.

    I’m cool with snarky comments.

  253. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    slightly, but I’m sure you can do better.

    MLBTR is predicting 3/$39 for him. Too rich for the Pirates blood, especially if they can get Byrd for less time and money.

  254. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    Probably about the same as mine.

    Plan just wants to sit on my internet face with his Hippo behind!!

  255. Milo Hamilton says:

    So many steroid guys, so little money.

  256. Arriba Wilver says:

    What’s my ” antiquated thinking” NMR? Specifically. I’m not in charge of what happens to him. All I said was it was fair (and required) to get his side of the story before deciding what to do with him. They did. I’m still curious what the facts are and get excoriated by the likes of you, Sarah, and DK when I dare ask. I honestly don’t get that. I’ve yet to even suggest what they should do with him. I’m just asking questions. That’s what bothers me. That’s what’s scary. Antiquated thinking? Asking questions?

  257. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    There’s some snark.

  258. Arriba Wilver says:

    Plan— you are correct, sir, I apologize for the factual error.

  259. Right. I don’t know where I got Armbrister. From the Reds, I guess.

  260. NMR says:

    I’m cool giving money to steroid users. Not like there is actual evidence that there skills imediately decrease.

    I’m not cool giving money to a steroid user who’s only average tool is power, is entering his mid-30s, and is coming from a hitter’s park.
    .
    I’ll take a shot at Johnny Peralta if the positive test drops his value into the Pirates price range. Not so much for Cruz.

  261. NMR says:

    *their. Embarrassing.

  262. NMR says:

    “So, if in a certain situation a verbal allegation deserves the same credibility as video or audio proof?”

    That is specifically what I’m referencing.

    We know by now that in cases like this one, many times verbal accounts are all we have. I’d still like to hear how we are ever supposed to stop these predators without holding verbal evidence in the same regard as physical.

    And I also still don’t know where I said not to ask any questions. I just don’t like the attitude of continueing to pick and prod at minutae trying to poke a hole in this victims story while the obvious physical evidence is staring you right in the face.

    Also, kudos for invoking the US Constitution, McCarthyism, and STILL having the balls to tell anyone else to get out of their ivory tower.

    Truly impressive!

  263. Nor Cal Stlrfanrtc (Ryan) says:

    I agree. Just throwing his name out there*

    Peralta? For SS?

  264. BillyBaduka says:

    Agree that the loss of Foote hurt the run D this year. Foote is and always was primarily a run stopper.

    Bot Foote or no Foote, the first thing in stopping the run in a 3-4 is an NT that takes two OL to block. This frees up the LBs to make the tackle. McClendon is good at getting penetration but that can actually be detrimental against run in 3-4. The penetration creates cut back lanes that must be covered by the LBs. if they pursue hard tp the point of attack a good runner sees it and cuts back. If they don’t pursue hard to the point of attack then there is more room where the play was supposed to be in the first place. It doesn’t guarantee the plays success but it increases the onus on the defender covering that gap to make a play. If he doesn’t, you see the big gains this year that we’re not used to seeing.

    The Steelers have a lot of needs, LT probably being the greatest. I would say a an OL occupying, run clogging NT is likely 2nd for the 3-4 to continue to be successful.

    If you can’t stop the run, that limits the defenses ability to tee off on the pass rush even, to an extent, when down and distance dictate a passing down.

  265. BillyBaduka says:

    Agreed 21

  266. Arriba Wilver says:

    No one , including you, said “don’t ask questions. ” But when I ask them I get this kind of BS from you, and others. I’m not saying verbal accusations should be ignored. I’m saying that there are levels of evidence. The thing is, I ask questions and you say BS like “I just don’t like the attitude of continueing to pick and prod at minutae trying to poke a hole in this victims story while the obvious physical evidence is staring you right in the face.” You are putting your spin on the motivation for my questions, which is Mccarthyism to me by trying to halt any such questions or me being labelled an enabler of violence against women. I find that offensive, from you, DK and Sarah.

  267. Sarah says:

    AW you’re hilarious but you don’t get to re-write history.

    Nobody attacked you, but your numerous silly assertions met with some push-back.

    You started out by saying that the employee was entitled to some fairness by the employer – hilarious! I pointed out this was not only demonstrably false, but naïve. Especially so in this case where the employer has a very public perception to protect, like the NHL. More importantly, you missed DK’s point.

    You came back with “but but but it’s the Unions!” which I pointed out was moving the goalposts since your original assertion kind of omitted that notion. Yes Unions are involved and should the Avs decide to suspend Varlamov, which I doubt, the Union will decide whether to file a grievance. So actually this “employee” gets a good deal more protection than the average wage-earner, since you’re so concerned.

    Today it’s all about “fact finding”!

    Yay. MISSED THE POINT AGAIN!

    Like DK said way back: THIS IS NOT A COURT OF LAW, IT’s A COURT OF PERCEPTION. THE AVs BLEW IT.

  268. Arriba Wilver says:

    No one attacked me? Sarah—”Whether it’s the likes of troy or AW Man-splainin to us why it’s all SO unfair to the guy or Milo casually saying how that movie was back when Kelly McGillis was HAAWWT (what is she now?” I consider that an attack. You totally misrepresent my point. Still haven’t said whether you think it was fair to hear his side. Just belittle me. That’s OK, I’m a big boy. I can take it. But still going to ask questions.

 
Other blogs
Sports: Rob Rossi | Steel Mill | Chipped Ice | Bucco Blog | iPreps | Pitt Locker Room | Penn State Sports | Trailing Off
News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle  


» Top TribLIVE.com Sports
» Top TribLIVE.com News
» Top TribLIVE.com Breaking News