On location: Steelers 37, Lions 27

Looking ahead to kickoff …

Game: Steelers (3-6) vs. Detroit Lions (6-3)

Time: 1:02 p.m.

Site: Heinz Field

TV, radio: Fox (national), WDVE-FM, ESPN Radio 970

Here is the official live summary.

Here is our Steelers page. Alan Robinson, Mark Kaboly, Ralph Paulk and I are on the scene.

Comments

This is my once a year game I cannot watch. Fox in my area is showing the Sniders-Luries game, and there is no other way for me to watch, so its Billy and Tunch…… while muting the other game on TV.

Hope Johnson doesnt go wild today, and I hope Suh isnt up to his dirty old tricks.

GO STILLERZ !!!!!!!

Detroit is a quality team and a win today would be significant. It would indicate to me that the Steelers are starting to gel a bit and are trying to make the playoffs instead of ridiculously playing for a draft choice . It won’t be an easy game. Time to show some grit.

Bears/Ravens game likely to be delayed by a Sharknado, er Tornado, watch.

3. tpbco says:

Keisel, Woodley and Foster inactive.

This season has been the perfect storm.

This will certainly test they’re resolve.

I will not give up on them until they do.

Steelers wearing their bumble bee unis! Looks like a lot of rain to deal with as well.

Lions, wind and rain, oh my!

How can the Steelers have so many injuries??
    Snake bitten.

Lots of yellow seats watching this kickoff.

7. tpbco says:

They aren’t conditioning issues.

Payback for the ’70′s

Ok, the NFL doesnt allow games on the radio 75 ,iles away from the home market, so now I have some free time today. :(

GO STEELERS !!

9. Sarah says:

Ball was out….???

10. tcb says:

Yes it was.

No, I think his knee was down. Don’t think it would’ve been overturned. With no huddle offenses, part of coaching now requires making that challenge decision without waiting for your coaches in the booth.

3rd down conversions, like always, will be huge. Strange slant call overcomes potentially killing false start penalty.

Antonio Brown!!!

For those not watching Fox, first time this season Pittsburgh has scored on opening drive.

15. Excellent and accurate post, John.

Apparently, no one wants to comment or is watching the game! lol.

In space, no one can hear you scream. Maybe I’ll check in later.

It was low, but Sanders should have had it.

Brown!

19. mas says:

Awesome. Lets go D

14 points on the no-huddle.

21. mas says:

btw i am not watching. Unfortunately at work but got it on the radio. So passing along any visual insight that i might be missing would be great

Ravens/Bears game temporarily suspended due to weather. Fans told to evacuate stands and go to concourses.

23. Mercy.

We have tornado watches around here, too. Seems to be a wide path on the radar.

24. Brandie says:

Good to hear that the Steelers are doing okay. Will watch later. Batten down the hatches. It’s going to be rough. Good vibes to all!

25. BostonsCommon says:

Just watching this Buffalo NY Jets game… Legursky and Urbik opening a hole for Frank Summers to plow into the end zone. Buffalo now up 17-0.

26. JMB says:

Ike is gettin killed!

27. florida steeler says:

Looks like the Lions have an offensive coordinator–we have a complete IDIOT. How many times does he run that pathetic bubble screen???
    Heath Miller has got to make that catch–turned everything around.
    How about Tomlin’s choice of a new punter??? Another brilliant decision by the Orator.

Arraignment for that criminal play calling and lack of time managennt by the Steelers on their last possession of the half will be Monday morning.

I’m thinking the offensive coordinator isn’t the problem today when you’ve scored 20 points in the first half.

30. Karen22 says:

This game is pathetically frustrating on soooo many levels! I think there are so few comments here because we’re all left completely speechless and dumbfounded.

Can’t wait for the 2nd half. Not.

31. JoeyBats says:

STEELERS = worst RED ZONE offense in NFL :-(

That 3 down display on the goal line was just putrid!

32. JMB says:

Great 2nd half!

33. That’s what I’m talkin about. Beat a first-place team.

Got to see the go-ahead drive on FOX. Finally some decent plays called and executed.

Still hope for a WC, even with all the faults and injuries.

34. Dom says:

Steelers win!

Great ending. And I’m happy for LeBeau.

36. tpbco says:

Seems to me they made the right halftime adjustments.

We’ll see if anyone choses to minimalize this win, like they did last week. Seems theBills pounded the Jets….

As I said above, I won’t quit on them until they do.

38. Sarah says:

Awful injury to NO Jabari Grier. Heal fast.

39. twentytwo22 says:

TM. OVR AFC
    NYJ 5-5 2-5
    MIA 4-5 3-3
    BAL 4-5 4-4
    SDC 4-5 2-4
    OAK 4-6 4-3
    CLE 4-6 3-4
    TEN 4-6 3-4
    PIT 4-6 3-4

40. Rob says:

Got to give credit where credit is due. That play call on the Cotchery touchdown was fantastic!

41. florida steeler says:

I have criticized Mike Tomlin in the past. He deserves much credit for doing something to this team at halftime. Where has this team been all season??
    Excellent coaching job in the second half. Perhaps we should see more man coverage than all those confusing zones that leaves areas wide open. Should have done this against New England.

42. hockeymonster says:

Big win for steelers but bigger newsflash is jeffrey claimed on waivers by Dallas. Geez when i said put him out of his misery last night I didn’t think they’d actually do it…atleast not that fast. Maybe this is start of a trend…go stillers!

43. tpbco says:

Without a pass rush…you will get beat in man coverage – as with the bomb to Megatron, They really haven’t consistently had one.

That’s not to say that there haven’t been issues with the zone coverage, but I think it was blown coverages, not fundamental flaws.

44. tpbco says:

Saw that. Surprised as well. Didn’t really think he had any upside, still thought he might be a throw in on a trade down the road.

45. hockeymonster says:

He’s a 3rd line center playing out of position. He does have upside he just needs ice time at natural spot. Look at his stats when he first got called up. Look forward to seeing how he in big D. I thought losing strait on waivers was mistake and not thrilled now.

46. Ghost says:

So the defense came up with two turnovers and Ben continued to be awesome. Couldn’t watch game because my local Fox affiliated showed Inside Edition and similar pap instead of the game — or any game. How did the O-line look to those who saw the broadcast?

47. tpbco says:

NO running game. Pass protected pretty well, only 1 sack I think, but some of that was shorter pass patterns (what a concept). They used the shotgun at least 80% of the time.

48. tpbco says:

JMO, but on a team like the Pens, he doesn’t have the skill to be a Top 6, nor grit for a Bottom 6. Just like 4 other guys on the roster right now. Don’t know why they chose him.

49. hockeymonster says:

Indeed. Difference is DJ played solid defense and could make a play or 2 from bottom 6. Other than Bennett who else? Sill being called up and playing last night had to be final straw for DJ. I would’ve lost it if I were him. I still want someone from team to explain pens record with DJ in versus being scratched. Bylsma never could get himself to overlook his lack of grit and just play him. Not like he was costing us games.

50. hockeymonster says:

Oh and i do think bottom 6 has grit just not enough playmaking and finish.

51. Ghost says:

Thanks, TBCPO.

52. Ghost says:

Whoops! TPBCO!! Sorry,

Bears with an excellent chance to beat the Ravens in OT in the Game That Would Not End.

And it’s official, Bears win 23-20 on a FG in OT that was barely fair.

Steelers making up some ground today.

55. twentytwo22 says:

TM. OVR AFC
    NYJ 5-5 2-5
    MIA 4-5 3-3
    SDC 4-5 2-4
    OAK 4-6 4-3
    BAL 4-6 4-4
    CLE 4-6 3-4
    TEN 4-6 3-4
    PIT 4-6 3-4

San Diego-Miami in progress

Well, it’s baby steps, 22. lol.

And this year’s award for worst Athletic Director who once was a Rhodes Scholar goes to … oh, apparently we have a tie. Please hold your disdain until I announce them both.

Pat Haden & Oliver Luck.

I have watched several of the JFK retrospectives this weekend. I’ll tell you one thing that has been lost in the last 50 years was the governmental and public relationship with the press.

Been absolutely fascinating watching how people dealt with the media, and how the media responded to that relationship, 50 years ago in Dallas.

Oh, and Oswald was killed on a Sunday morning, which makes Rozelle’s decision to play NFL games a mere few hours later even more spectacularly baffling.

59. Daquido_Bazzini says:

That’s no excuse….I have to get up around 9 AM (with a hangover) and make my way to the nearest Steeler bar on the west side of Los Angeles.
    I got there….Sat there…..And saw a great start and poor finish to the first half.

As my head was literally spinning (at half time) from the second medicinal brew, I made my mind up that I was going to be UNLIKE the numerous thousands that exited Heinz Field in their rain garb and spoiled Pepe’s sandwiches.
    I stayed….And it was worth it.

Give credit to Mike Tomlin!
    He could’ve folded his chair at half time and said he’ll get an invite back next year.
    Instead….He got his somewhat talent-less troops in gear, and they won.

I finalize this scroll by stating (via Twitter) that DK let it be known that some “supposed” Pirate fans were running their mouths in glee at half time.
    Nuts!….To put it mildly.
    Thanks for the added incentive.
    Winners win….Losers lose.
    My head has felt better ever since…..