Sunday column: What to do with Woodley?

Morning, Lunatics …

>> The Sunday column cites six personnel upgrades the Steelers have made during the season, a startling quarter of their starting lineup.

Among them, at least in my view, is Jason Worilds over the injured (again) LaMarr Woodley, which leads to today’s question: What would you do, not as a fan but as a coach, when Woodley returns if Worilds has another strong game on the left side today?

Here’s some stuff from Worilds a couple days ago …

Here’s our full Steelers coverage, with a ton more this morning from Alan Robinson, Mark Kaboly and Ralph Paulk.

Here’s Browns news from the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Here are official game highlights from NFL.com.

And to cap it off this morning, a game preview from the TribLIVE Radio morning team of Ken Laird and Guy Junker

We’ll be doing an up-and-back to Cleveland today.

Comments

1. Daquido_Bazzini says:

IF Jason Worilds has another big game tomorrow afternoon, he is padding truth to the theory that some NFL players are silently waiting to “pick it up a notch” till their contract year.

Keenan Lewis did next to nothing for three years, and suddenly accelerated his game significantly last season.

The result?…..A fat contract in his hometown of the Big Easy.

The Steelers can ill afford to let this keep happening. They need to get first- through third-round draft picks on the field AND producing long before this type of scenario is able to develop.

DK: Do you think Worilds has played enough to be categorized as giving less than his best before this?

2. Rbilak says:

Daq has a great point. Why is the defense so complex to learn? Wilson, Luck, RG3 started at QB their rookie years. Heyward takes 3 years to develop, Lewis is gone after one solid year. It is bad business practice. The Steelers have to continue to bring back Gay, Allen, Foote Sylvester. Way too long to develop your players for other teams.

Worlids is an interesting situation. Woodley once again plagued by muscle injuries, not worth the money sitting on sideline. Much like Willie Colon and now maybe Pouncey, it is production over talent.

You have to question the player evaluation of this organization. Cotchery 7 TD’s, Sanders 1. Hood over Heyward for so long. No clue on how to find a punter. So it is very possible Worlids has been playing out of position. Knowing Woodley’s penchant for lingering injuries they should get a good idea of what he is capable of at a much cheaper cost. Hopefully Colbert gets this one right.

3. Ghost says:

It’s been my contention for over a year now that the Steelers defense is too complex, taking too-many man-years to figure out if a player is good or not.

4. Ghost says:

Take the cap hits and let go of both Woodley and Pouncey. The full “hit” for doing so might not be felt till next year, but let’s not kid ourselves: we have a rebuild underway. Just get on with it.

5. Eric Bowser says:

Hard to gauge what I would do as the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers since they’ve only had three coaches in my 35 years on this planet and most often, veteran savvy seemed to always win over youth and inexperience.

But let’s just say the throne was mine and I had the castle to myself.

I think the Steelers have a salary cap situation combined with a formerly productive and well-paid outside linebacker that can seemingly no longer keep himself healthy enough to suit up and play the game.

When he has been playing, he’s been invisible for most of the snaps.

Trading or cutting Woodley isn’t about the here and now, though he’s done a good enough job of that with seeing him in street clothes week after week after week. In fact, I’d say I have about as little faith in Woodley’s ability to stay healthy over a 16-game regular season than as I do of Worilds’ ability to produce and stay game day ready.

Since there’s still some hope, some shred of untapped potential with Worilds. I would give him the keys to the car and let him drive for the rest of the season. If he produces, great, if not, nothing gained, nothing lost.

6. kr70 says:

Jason Mackey…nice article on Cael Sanderson

7. Ronny Reality says:

They need to move Woodley to the ROLB spot, where he alternates with Jones. Then in the off season, reward Worilds with a deal worth have of Woodley’s and explore trade options. We chip away and some cap relief and acquire much needed picks, as well as get younger.

8. JoeyBats says:

Hate to say it….but based on his “time on the pine” over the past 2 years ==> Mr. Woodley’s picture is found in the dictionary …..somewhere between “D” (Dawg) and “F” (Fat Cat). That coincides with his performance grades too.

Very, very disappointing…we thought he was going to be one of Steelers’ SIGNATURE performers and LEADERS – but you can’t lead from the sidelines.

:-(

Ohio State may go the way of Penn State of 1968 and 1969.

The Lions were undefeated two consecutive years, won the Orange Bowl each January to cap both seasons, and could advance no higher than #2 in the polls.

Tallahassee Jurisprudence (the new name of the Florida State team) could trump the story line. If Winston is arrested, charged and suspended, voters may see to it that Ohio State jumps Florida State in the polls, maybe by enough to edge in front of the final BCS ranking.

I am not passing judgment on the underlying situation. I will trust to the facts, which I do not fullybknow, and the legal system.

And I would trust to the legal system if I held a poll vote. Meaning: if Winston is charged, I would vote Ohio State #2. If he is not charged, I would vote Florida State #2…despite my belief that Florida State, not Alabama, is the nation’s best team.

Why place my assumed #1 at #2? Two reasons.

1. The only place in the polls where ranking doesn’t matter is between numbers 1 and 2; and

2. I’m back to the ’68-69 Penn State analogy. Sort of. So the Tide isn’t going on two undefeated years as Penn State did. But they finished last season as the champ, and with much the same team they have gone wire to wire in 2013.

Yeah. It’s not the same thing as Penn State in the 60s. That’s still Ohio State.

Sucks to be them.

10. JoeyBats says:

PS: forgot to mention …..DK….on one of your other “compares” …..you forgot to mention that it looks like Mr. Sanders has the “Mike Wallace –playing for the BIG CONTRACT – DROPPED PASS syndrome. ”

Good luck to him…in his future ventures.

There are three very solid one-loss teams, Auburn, Missouri and Clemson. But unless they win out and at least two of the undefeateds drop, they are locked out.

As they should be.

Next time, win.

Some pundits point to past one-loss champs, but it is not a fair analogy. A one-loss team would jump a Fresno State-ish team, maybe even a Louisville team (if), but not another undefeated team from a real power conference.

Putting these two posts together, I cannot wait for the four team playoff structure to start.

My dream playoff scenario is much like the conference path for the NFL. Six teams, in which the top two are rewarded with a bye.

Looking back over the years, I have never seen a team ranked lower than 5 that I thought could win a two- or three-game championship against the best. Six teams would mostly preserve the meaning of regular season games, mostly preserve the bowls, and also ensure the best teams are playing for gold. A playoff of real intensity which would include a few one-loss teams which in fact might be the best by the season’s end. As well as, when appropriate, a second great team from a conference that produces two.

That’s not (just) code for the SEC. Clemson, anybody?

Putting all my pipe dreams aside, I will be happy with a four team format.

Don’t wanna be left out?

Win. Just win.

Congrats to pitt.

While I was surprised, maybe I shouldn’t have been.

Maybe I was wrong about them. That is EXACTLY the type of game they used to lose.

That game showed EXACTLY the type of tenacious grind that they lacked.

Good. For. Them.

Though Arriba will be insufferable today.

13. Well, we’re 24-36 versus the Browns in Cleveland and 29-21 against them at home, but then, we have Ben starting for us this time so there’s reason to hope.

14. Hopefully, Pitt can beat Miami this time although the Hurricanes dispatched Virginia easily enough yesterday. And then, the Panthers can have a winning record for a change.

15. Speaking of winning, Drew, what happened to your Gators? I assume their run defense is like most teams’ this season and almost non-existent.

i LOVE Football Sundays.

It’s a time to reflect on all the great play or new twists of Saturday’s games.

Try this…

LAST season, had pitt beaten the Irish, as they should have, #3 (at the time) Florida would have moved up to 2 and played Alabama in the BCS Championship Game.

My point, for once, is NOT about the SEC.

My point is about Florida. Now.

Look at them now.

THAT’S my point.

17. hockeymonster says:

So we waived brian strait to keep despres and now despres is in WB. Now we seemed to have waived DJ so we could watch d’agastini and gibby accomplish a whole lotta nothin?!?! I liked the d’agastini signing at the time cuz of his sneaky shot and offensive IQ but if he cant hit the net when he has 10 feet on nearest defender then we’re gonna have a hard time overcoming BB’s injury. Get well soon beau. In the meantime I hope megna is here in time for boston game and D’agastini needs to bear down and focus on holding onto the puck atleast a little bit along the boards. And when you get a chance to show people why we signed you…hit the freakin net!

Tanger, i’m getting real tired defending you while you keep making the same correctable mistakes. Keep the puck out of the middle of the ice. From now on its short crisp passes on the tape or up the boards. No more up the middle passes into traffic. Only when you have clear close proximity puck support do you go up the middle. Dont make me channel mike keenan’s inner monster. :)

And in the d-zone lets do a better job of marking our guy sooner so we’re not giving up quick passes and shots from the high slot. For most part d-zone coverage has been good but a little slow to react at times. Mark your assignments a bit sooner and we should be fine. Neutral zone play and discipline on forecheck was better last night than NYI game. If you back out the self-inflicted wounds by PM, letang and maatta last 2 games the pens actually played best hockey of season i believe.

Now that they’re moving puck ice up with speed, support and skill they need to remember that with great power comes great responsibility…

18 degrees and windy. Heading out for a 10 miler.

Gators? See my LOVE post below re:
    How The Haughty Have Fallen.

More specifically…

- O system that doesn’t match the talent they have. Which was evident when they were winning. In September I thought they’d have a new OC by March. When they were winning. Count on it now.

- Sputtering offense compounded by an inexplicable rash of injuries. Good defense brought to its knees by an inexorable rash of injuries.

I know exactly what you mean.

68 and windy and I’m heading out for the beach.

They even list a wind chill today.

It’s, um, 68.

21. DJ says:

I’m hoping we can find a spot on our squad next year for Velasco. He’s been our second best O-line performer behind DeCastro.

Pouncey to LG and Velasco at C? Or vice versa?

22. JeffInPlano says:

DK,

Another great provocative question!

Let’s not forget that Woodley was great when he played behind Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel. Those guys kept offensive linemen engaged so well that Woodley et al were free to roam on pass coverage unimpeded, flow to the ball sideline-to-sideline in run support, and blitz the quarterback. And don’t forget Woodley’s fellow linebackers – a solid and under-appreciated Larry Foote (all but one year when he played in his hometown Detroit), the in-his-prime wrecking ball James Harrison, and the consumate leader-of-the-pack and shamefully unappreciated James Farrior. Throw in Dick LeBeau’s defensive game-planning and -calling and that was an awesome front seven. Fundamentally sound in all facets – leadership (Smith and Farrior particularly), technique, scheme, and tackling. And, by the way, they were intimidating individually and as a group.

At the time, signing Woodley to a long term deal made sense. I supported it then and was happy that they did it. I clearly remember the angst during negotiations and the relief when it finally got done.

Today’s front seven is not even close to that group. Keisel is on the slide and playing ok, Foote on IR, and Woodley unable to stay healthy. The others are all new (or newer) to Lebeau’s complex system. Each week there’s been steady improvement by that unit. So despite some of the noise, the coaches who were smart enough to put that first unit on the field have my trust to continue to develop this unit and to do what is best to handle the Woodley situation when the time comes. They’ve earned my trust by getting the team to 3 Super Bowls, winning 2!

So I’ll stay tuned! And I’ll be cheering for the Steelers to beat the Clowns, I mean, Browns. GO STEELERS!

DK: Good stuff, Jeff. Thanks.

23. I was yanking your chain. No ill toward Florida.

But it’s a fair Q. Opens the door to the 2012-2013 comparison.

I pull for Florida for the sake of my Gator son, but I don’t confuse that with being a fan. That’s solely for the benefit of my son.

The advantage of not having any overpowering rooting interest is that I am first and foremost a fan of college football. With tremendous respect for the SEC…but not to the point where I ignore other good football.

Sure. I have SOME preferences. But not to the point that I root against good, watchable football to support a team.

Meaning: I root for overtime. I root for last second drives to win games.

I’d rather have three or four major conference undefeateds – and all the speculation and controversy that entails – even if that means “my team” is the third ranked undefeated team in the current two-team playoff.

Nothing would please me more NEXT season, the first of the four-team playoffs – if there are NO major conference undefeateds but rather six, good, indistinguishable one-loss teams.

More than where I went to school. More than where my son went to school.

It’s all about the competition, the pageantry, the tradition, the tradition-breakers and the intense FEELING about college football.

25. Good column.

I AM a fan of the number 3 team, though.

At least Arriba won’t mention the temperature today

- Wow Brian McCann
    - I hope Russell Martin goes out with a bang this year as a Bucco
    - Tony Sanchez better start stepping it up

Column??

I’m not Eric.

I mean, Dejan.

He would but his fingers are too frozen to type.

I hope you applied sun block, 21.

Or is Pittsburgh, essentially, sun block?

How will he? Meaning Sanchez. Meaning it seriously.

If Martin is healthy, the backup(s) will get, what, maybe 30-35 starts? Plus a couple dozen PH ABs?

The Pirates are, um, all in with Martin in 2014. So I don’t think we will know if Sanchez has stepped up until about May or June…of 2015.

32. Dan Finnegan says:

As far as Woodley goes, at least keep the rotation going. Secondly, find out if he can play one of the ILB spots, help provide a pass rush from the inside so the opponent can’t just focus on the OLBs pass rush.

Hail to Pitt ! ! !

(Didn’t want to disappoint Drew.)

As far as the weather? I hated driving in it last night (although that had more to do with ice and other drivers), but just this morning, looking outside, I’m thinking it sure is fascinating to experience the different seasons. That will wear off, but right now it’s kind of neat.

And the Cards have improved, and now reports they’re talking to Peralta. I know it’s early, but by minicamp, some moves need to be made.

35. Stuart says:

Like Drew roots for the Gators, I root for Pitt because of my youngest son who is a Senior at Pitt. I enjoyed the win against another 5 and 5 team, and a strong rival.

I really liked Drew’s idea abou a6-team playoff for college football (with two byes for #’s 1 and 2). More teams would be even better. The biggest bar to having multiple team playoffs is the length of the regular season. Add three or four more games to that and there might not be time for the athletes to attend any classes. Harder also for college presidents to keep up pretence of scholar-athletes.

Just sayin.
    Stuart

36. Sarah says:

Well monster you’re a lot more positive than I am!!
    In respect for our Jandy I won’t go off on Tanger lol!

It was incredible how Subban could abuse Crosby and not be crushed into next week by someone. Seriously anyone that looks sideways at your stars should have the fear of God and permanent injury put into them, but just as DK says, we are sofff and our stars are the only ones w grit.

The way we are currently constructed will not get it done in playoffs. Both our star centers are limited by lack of wingers who properly compliment them. The best breakout we had all night was an individual effort by Geno going through their whole team, which is a serious indictment hiding behind a breathtaking skill display.
    I only hope Maatas not on a bus back to London this AM, because accountability on this team is only for rookies.

Ok – rant over LOL! Whew. Thanks Peeps!

37. Sarah says:

Oh – one more.
    If I got run over in my rec leagues the way Moen choo choo’d MAF, my guys would turn the offender into mashed potatoes.

But not with these Pens.

SOFFFFFF

I agree Drew. I think that Sanchez is going to make the most of his starts and gain the confidence of the coaches that he can be a starter

I wonder if Peralta is really a full time shortstop anymore.

But Bourjos should help their outfield defense –which was awful last year. And they should have enough hitters to make up for his bat

40. Brandie says:

Quite the interesting take Stuart. That leaves quite a bit to ponder about how to balance playoffs and academics. Just looking at March Madness it’s not like having college football playoffs will not be a money maker. I like the line about the pretense of scholars athletes.

As far as the Steelers go, I have a question and this may be a dumb-dumb question…
    How complicated can LeBeau’s defense be when it has churned out so many stars over so many years that have been able to take their skill sets and develop them into craft for the Steelers and others through free agency? I mean, if you have a certain element of draftees that do not get the system, is it the fault of the system or are they lacking in enough football acumen/intelligence that it maskes no sense to invest in them in the first place? If the latter is true, doesn’t that get put back on the talent evaluators?

Just food for thought everyone.

I think Bourjos was a brilliant addition. Helps the starting outfield AND the bench. Since their weak 2013 CFer becomes a strong 2014 fourth outfielder.

And you can make the argument that Bourjos’ defense also makes the pitching better. If that’s possible.

42. Brandie says:

If Worilds continues to impress, then it’s time for Woodley to watch his own conditioning and shape the heck up so that he is not always in street clothes, or it’s time for him to get on with his life’s work….

Somewhere else!

43. Dom says:

We have to keep Woodley. If we would release him after this season, we would be out an additional 580k against the cap. I see no use to at least keep him as a backup.

44. Dom says:

Could they consider keeping Velasco and moving Pouncey to guard?

45. hockeymonster says:

About breakouts…i think overall its night and day last few games compared to before 3rd period of anaheim game. We look alot more dangerous scooting up ice in close puck support. Geno’s rush I believe was a result of defenders being spread out in fear of all the short tape to tape passes we’ve recently made at top speed. Dzone coverage has been a bit lazy and sloppy which leads me to believe maybe conditioning is an issue with the squad. Much like we suspected earlier this season. As you know sarah, when the legs go the brain isn’t too far behind so hoping we our guys get stronger down the stretch.

As far as chances in playoffs, bottom 6 depth is still suspect. I’m just encouraged because we seem to be playing to our strengths more so lately which should improve our chances no matter result. But with us up against cap, who do you trade to improve depth? And who’s available coming back?

46. Dom says:

Then move could Foster to backup. But I don’t think he has been playing so poorly.

47. Brandie says:

I like that idea. Who knew Velasco would be so steady? Leaves an interesting dilemma!

48. hockeymonster says:

Sarah, i’d have my craig adams cross check kit open and ready if someone sprayed snow or had the nerve to crash your crease. :)

49. Sarah says:

Hah! I am proud to say that I once was the source of a bench clearing brawl LOL!!!!

50. Sarah says:

I hate to upset our Jandy, but Letang would be tops on my list. We need grit 3rd liners and an elite wing for Sid on the order of Hossa, and someone more compatible on Genos LW (think Malone type or Sykora or even Talbot). Or even Kunitz, which would jump start Malkin I think….., tho then you’d have to fill in Crosby’s wing also.

It’s just incomprehensible to me that since 2009 RS has not found the proper compliments on wing for 2 of the all time great Centers we’ve ever had. Genos LW has been a comical merry to round of bottom 6ers. I mean….Tangradi? Jeebus.

Letang is on my block, as is Nisky, and Orpik. Though I think all could be accomplished with just Tanger.

Again – SORRY JANDY!!!!

Daquido brings up a very interesting point above………. are some players dogging it until contract years?

Drew’s point above about pageantry, tradition, etc. is a great theory……. not picking on him, but nothing says tradition like a player driving to the homecoming parade in a BMW that a booster got him. D-1 college athletes at major schools are amateur in name only. College football today is like the old SWC……….. and that is not a compliment at all.

HM and Sarah are correct…….. if anyone even looks at Sid, that player should be checked into 1987. Pens play Sofffffffffffff too much.

McCann goes to the Yanks? Wonder when we will be treated to him blocking the line after a HR again. Proof that bad people get rewarded for bad behavior. Very sad.

To mDK’s original point……….. Woodley cant help if he doesnt suit up. Which brings up another point…………. why do so many Steelers get injured all the time? There are probably many factors involved, but it is a big thing. I say we get rid of players that cant suit up. Trade them for picks to replace them.

52. hockeymonster says:

Wow…thats a lot to take in! :)

Orpik? really? I say no way! Brooksie can play on my team any day!!! I’d be looking to sign him RS.

Problem with trading letang now is that his cap hit this season is still 3.5M. So can you fix bottom 6? Yes. Is that equal value for tanger? I think not. Tangers mistakes are fixable. He just needs to want to do it. Much like PM decided he was gonna get it done in front of his net, along the boards and in open ice. Tanger needs to make a conscience decision to keep it simple and trust that he’ll have enough chances to jump up after making short passes and safe plays. Why force crap into the middle when you’ll be back on the ice in literally a couple minutes? I’d rather jump up after the forwards push the defense back anyway. Forcing long passes into the middle is just unnecessary.

About wingers, we’re top heavy. We know it and kind of embrace it. Would start with maybe drafting a forward every now and then. Weren’t we suppose to flip some of the d prospects for wingers? Not every trade can be a grandslam of the real deal variety so maybe we can make some trades involving a single, a bunt and a clutch hit.

53. Sarah says:

Well…..dunno.
    Certainly agree that trading Tanger now w the lower hit is tough. And I like Orpik as much as the next gal but he’s been less effective in front of then net every year and that is what we need from him.

Do not agree we are top heavy on wingers. For 4 years Sid has been lacking a Hossa. FOUR YEARS. Just as Geno has not had a Malone or even Kunitz (or Kulemin as in KHL) who is his needed compliment.

Anyway again sorry Jandy but I just don’t see Letang living up to his cap hit, not now at 3 nor at 7.
    Is he a PP QB? No.
    Does he play PK? No.
    Is he a shut down D? ….no…
    Does he get under the other teams star players skin and take them off their game like PK did to Crosby? No…
    He delivers big hits occasionally but is not a physical presence like Subban.
    His purported value is transitional offense and in the scheme now he makes far too many turnovers, ( that could be corrected by scheme changes I agree….)
    On straight O he has 5 pts in 15 games, and many more TOs resulting in pts for the opp….

Even at 3 mil I would give that away for an elite W for Sid and more grit in the bottom 6.

At 7mil…. Even more so.

Jandy hates me now!! Oy.

54. hockeymonster says:

And you guys thought i was rough on PM?!?! Holy cow! :)

Cant argue with you about tanger’s cons…but when he’s right his pros involve being a one man puck retrieval and breakout system. He just needs to realize that his hands aren’t anywhere near as good as his skating. Therefore, he needs to be looking to move the puck as quickly as he gets it so he can use his feet to get into open space for a rush or shot. And yes i know his shot is more likely to hit glass and shin pads than goalie pads but lets hope he keeps working on that. As far as getting under others skin…not sure you can ask someone to be something they’re not. Maybe tanger’s trying to justify new contract but with the talent around him he doesn’t need to go out of his way.

P.S. I meant top heavy as a team and dont worry bout jandster. I got your back :)

55. hockeymonster says:

Oh one more thing…MUY IMPORTANTE…if they’re ever bored at practice workin on cross corner murphy dumps may be a good idea. With speed pens are generating thru neutral zone, anytime winger or dman gets stuck holding a hot potato along the boards cross corner murphy dumps can end up springing a leaky defense. Think corner fade route to back of endzone…

56. With Ben at the helm today, the Steelers walked all over the Browns today, and the Browns are back to what they always have been, although they can blame the head injury to quarterback Jason Campbell and the weather for that.

57. And furthermore, despite the Steelers 5-6 record, they are now tied for a playoff spot. Now isn’t that the craziest thing?

58. Stuart says:

The O-line played really well and Troy was a turnover machine. Steelers are getting healthy at the right time. Cam and Worilds pressured all day.

Thursday makes or breaks the season. Keep it up Jason, Troy, and Cam. Flatten Flacco!

Stuart