Pitt 91, Youngstown State 73

Looking ahead to tipoff ..

Game: Pitt (9-0) vs. Youngstown State (7-4)

Time: 12:02 p.m.

Site: Petersen Events Center

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live summary.

Here is our Pitt pageKevin Gorman is on the scene.

Comments

1. Ziv34 says:

On a somewhat semi-related note; ESPN Films has a new “30 for 30″ at 9:00 P.M. (ESPN/ESPND) titled “Youngstown Boys” about Jim Tressel and Maurice Clarett. Whatever your opinions of OSU, YSU, or ESPN may be, the “30 for 30″ productions are almost always done well, and this film should be interesting and informative at the very least.

2. JoeyBats says:

Aha…another juggernaut on the Panther Home HOOPS Schedule!

DESTROY THOSE PENGUINS and grab that 10th victory !!!

3. Team members say that one motivation for winning is that the team isn’t ranked despite its 9-0 record, while us fans keep wondering how well they’ll do against tough opposition.

Loney reportedly off board. Staying with Rays on 3 year deal.

Oops, just saw I’m about 15 hours late. (And it’s the next day).

3 years – $21 million. SMH.

7. What do you think about Smoak, Milo and Arriba?

And, BTW Milo, your prayers were answered. Sands and Reid cut.

Depends what you have to give up. This whole off season has been a mess & there’s no indication Neal is about to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Very annoying.

And thanks for your help with Jerry. :)

Baseball talk on the Pitt-Youngstown State thread.

THUD

:-)

The Panthers performance in the 1st half has been about as lackluster as the Pirates off season.

How’s that Thunder ? :)

11. Barb says:

Is this going to be a replay of the football game from last year?

12. Barb says:

Blech! How’s it going Brandcita?

13. Pitt’s up by 11, what’s the problem?

Afternoon you wacky muppet you.

Just shaking off finals week rust.

16. Barb says:

No problem. I didn’t know the score at the time.

2nd half any better, Milo? Just following on my phone.

Zanna appears to have dominated the glass, and looks like Randall had a nice game off the bench. But, that’s just going by the stats. I assume Pitt had a huge size, strength and talent advantage inside.

19. Lad 9 says:

I thought they played well offensively, but did not have much in the way of defensive intensity, Jim. Final 91-73. Lets go beat the Bearcats on Tuesday!

So, I read that at PirateFest today someone brought up the Pirates ROOT TV deal, and Coonelly said something to the effect that a) $19 million is not even close to how much they are getting; and b) The Bucs deal is in the top 1/2 of MLB.

Ok, so I guess we should be even more upset that the payroll is so tight. I mean, we were all assuming a small local TV deal was hindering spending. What Coonelly says seems to fly in the face of that.

How will they walk this one back?

21. Lad 9 says:

Size disparity was not pronounced. Talent disparity however…. :)

Thanks, Lad. I guess not unexpected given the layoff, finals, etc.

Well, I know how they will do it.

Yesterday, I provided a link showing how Frank said payroll would go up as revenues go up. I had someone say that wasnt true. So they will just backtrack, and people will defend them.

Wish I could provide you more, but I dont think I am allowed.
    The statements they make about the financials are a little weird.

24. I’ve just read that the Pirates would love to have AJ Burnett back, but they have yet to hear from him, although you’d think they’re resigned to his not returning by now.

25. tpbco says:

No, not enough, it was in the range I expected – but only because Neal got 5.

Tradeoff I think.

Too many people stayed in thornton’s corner…including Mike Babcock.

I was only expecting 6-8 games.
    You are right, this isnt close to being enough.

Also absent was any fine/suspension for Julien…… who constantly sent Thornton over the boards for revenge. That would have sent a message also.

27. tpbco says:

Wasn’t expecting anything for claude, he’s (obvious) involvement was never even mentioned at the league level nor media outside of Pittsburgh.

Not sure why – other than jacobs influence. I guess some owners are more equal than others.

++++++

We know what sort of style that UC team will play, Lad. They’ll want to muck it up.

I’m also hearing that Baltimore has made an offer and is awaiting a response. I’d really hate to be right about this, but as soon as I heard last summer that being near his family was the most important thing, I felt all the “I love the Pirates. It’s the Pirates or nobody” talk was just that – a lot of talk. I think if he is going to keep pitching, it is going to be with the team closest to his home, and that’s the Orioles. I think the Pirates may be getting used as leverage for money from Baltimore right now.

I don’t have any inside info. I’m totally speculating. But, it is what I have felt all along.

I really hope I’m wrong because I think the Bucs really need another year of AJ.

It would not surprise me if Orpik is out longer than 15 games. I don’t see how a guy can assault another player and not be off the ice longer than that guy. His suspension should not even begin until Orpik returns. If they want to give him 15 after that, I’m fine.

Very well said, Jim.

Lucky—seems like one of the only ones left, but I wouldn’t give up much for him.

Don’t give us any names.

I’ve denied nothing. I have disagreed with the way you are interpreting a quote that I don’t think needs interpreting at all.

36. The length of suspensions for fighting will never really be enough until they get rid of fighting in hockey, and it appears that the NHL won’t do that until economics dictates that that be done, and until that happens, well. there will likely be more incidents much like this, with much the same results.

37. Well, anyhow, it’ll Navy over the Army today, with the midshipmen well in control in that game’s final minutes. They say that this year, the service academies don’t match up that well.

Honestly, Plan, I don’t think I have ever “blasted” anyone for using anyone’s blog name. Never! That’s made up by you, for whatever reason. And it is totally contrary to my approach.

But that falsehood is kind of beside the point, for now.

You said you don’t know what I’m trying to do? It’s really very simple. I think if you know who you are referring to, it is more polite to say who it is you are talking about. Then they have a chance to defend themselves. If they want to deny it, so what? Isn’t that fair?

I’m know everyone doesn’t agree with me. I had this same issue with a poster on the PG blog that thought he could say anything about anybody (and I mean anything) so long as he didn’t use a name. I disagree that that is the appropriate way to go. You end up insulting more people than you intended. (Is he talking about me?)

We are basically anonymous here to the degree we want to be, so what the heck is the problem with identifying the poster who you are talking about? Probably would lead to a more focused discussion.

You asked.

Thanks.

Aw, you are entitled to your view.

If someone makes Statement A, then denies it, its fair?
    How does that lead to “more focused discussion”?

Tell you what, just for you, I wont reference people anymore. This way you dont have to jab me about naming names, which does no good.

Or, if you like, I just wont comment, so you dont have to worry about it.

Have a good night sir.

I haven’t denied anything. What would be an example of that?

Maybe I’m being dense, but I don’t understand that response.

What statement have I made, then denied?

You know, it’s not fair to fabricate things.

Doesn’t help. Still la la land to me.

Just name blog names. Pretty simple.

Saying someone is lying about what they said is pretty simple, too . Just produce the original post. Your way leaves it up to you to determine the “truth.” Not comfortable with that, for anybody, but especially after you claimed I blasted people for naming names in the past and was doing a 180.

Total fabrication.

And you obviously don’t need to please me. I’m just expressing my opinion.

47. Ziv34 says:

Whats the biggest difference between Pitt and WVU? Their non-conference schedules … Pitt’s is a joke.

DK: We’ll find out soon enough, right?