On location: Pitt 74, North Carolina State 62

RALEIGH, N.C. — Looking ahead to tipoff ..

Game: Pitt (12-1) vs. North Carolina State (10-3), ACC opener for both

Time: 12:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Arena, Raleigh, N.C.

TV, radio: WTAE (local), ACC Network (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live summary.

Here is our Pitt pageKevin Gorman and I are on the scene.

Also, to prepare for the Pitt game, I spent some time at the Pete on Friday night with James Robinson, Talib Zanna and Jamie Dixon, then put together this video …

Comments

What bowl game is this?

You just going by the title again?

3. Buckeyehba says:

Pitt had a lot of success in the Big East, but not the tournament because they didn’t play ACC bB style. This should be interesting. I would think it will take a couple years to adapt.

I wonder that also, Buckeye.

Interesting article in this morning’s Trib, and one of the points in it was about Pitt adapting to the ACC vs. the ACC adapting to Pitt and the other new schools. Jay Bilas contends that Pitt has not really changed much, noting that they are 312th out of 350 nationally in speed of play. They still hang on to the ball for a very long time on possessions. They seemed to be playing with more pace at the start of this year, but I personally see that slowing down of late. Bilas cited that.

But, what I do see out of Pitt, or at least I hope I see it, is more athleticism and creativity infused into their style. Their foundation may be efficiency on offense, but it doesn’t have to be the slow, pounding, plodding offense of year’s past when they just did not have much athleticism. I think there is a way to remain efficient, which I define as simply getting a good shot in the rhythm of a balanced offense, and still be able to nail 3-pointers and take your man off the dribble. We’ll see if Jamie can morph his team into that style over the next few years. It seems to me he is at least attempting to add athleticism, quickness, length to his roster. If he is the coach to keep Pitt in the national spotlight, I think he will need to continue to adapt to the new league without losing his hallmarks of efficient offense and tough, man-to-man defense.

5. cosmo says:

Here’s hoping or a win today to start off the ACC schedule on a good note.

you think i STOP?

Some almost-end-of-the-bowl-season hyphenated thoughts…

- Guess they got the title game right (after all). Because…

* Many people, me included, thought, said, wrote that Alabama was the best or second best team and too bad they didn’t make it. Alabama’s D, the reasoning went, would match up well (or at least interestingly) against Florida State’s D.

* Some wrote that if Alabama was 2 (to the Seminoles’ 1), Ohio State was 2a.

* oopsie on both. Loss Upon Loss means that whatever happens in the title game, even if it is a three score Seminole blowout, the match-up was the right one. If that happens, maybe we should consider Florida State to be three scores better than ANYbody.

- Clemson. Some pundits had rewritten history to say that Clemson really wasn’t/isn’t that good. Clemson. Once again…maybe we should consider Florida State to be three scores (or more) better than ANYbody.

- Most underrated team (well; half a team): Florida State’s DEEEfense. Entering the bowls, the Seminoles have the nation’s #1 D in scoring allowed, yards/play, yards/pass. Top 5 in yards/run, total yards, first downs allowed, and turnovers generated. I listed all these, including the silly stats, to demonstrate that it is not just spillover effect from a strong O setting up the D (though that works better the other way around). And remember that the Seminoles had a number of games in which their O started slow…so the other team wasn’t always playing desperate catch-up. Which is sorta saying the same thing as a strong O setting up the D. And by the way. They can play a little O, too.

- If Florida State wins, then the ACC will be the only conference to brag two BCS bowl winners. Yet the middle of the ACC looked pretty terrible this bowl season. Pac12 and SEC will have won most of their bowls, but not so much at the top. This likely means that they Pac12 and SEC middle is better and deeper than any other conference, but their top may be somewhat overrated. In the case of the SEC, the PERCEPTION of the top teams is being driven by the wind in their sails from past years.

- Funny how short term pundits are. Suddenly Saban can’t coach.

- That said, the whole sporting world is short term. Louisville throttled Miami in its bowl and Strong is probably the next Texas coach. Briles, a more natural fit as THEEE best recruiter in the recruit-rich state of Texas, DOESN’T win the big game and, well, suddenly he withdraws.

- Some pundits have offered the auto-opinion that Alabama didn’t win because their motivation flagged because they were beaten out of their Pre-Destined Bowl. Thunderous Hogwash. Alabama was up by 7, having scored the opening TD in four plays, later tied, and after down by two scores, fought back to within one score. With the ball. Driving. Then Turnover. THAT is why they lost. Four turnovers. Three of them critical. If you arbitrarily remove, let’s say, three of the turnovers (which is stoopid), they very likely win that game. Turnovers are not motivation driven. Exposing AJ and exposing an all-year-overrated-offensive-line, an O Line that lost most of last season’s starters to the NFL…that’s COACHING to SEE it and TALENT to DO it. C’mon. Bama played hard, spirited but SLOPPY. They pundits who claimed “Motivation” in the face of the evidence? Just intellectually lazy.

- Regarding the last cynical statement. We’ll never know. But sometimes when a big name coach withdraws, it is because he’s been told It’s Not You. Sometimes he truly withdraws. We can/I can guess. But that is all it is.

- In between bowl games, I went out (unshowered, unshaven) and bought the first four seasons to Breaking Bad. There’s nothing else I need to say about this.

- For YEARS and YEARS I have predicted reasonably well based on a tendency: In big bowl games among major powers, Big Defense beats Big Offense. LONG AGO: Miami falls to Penn State with PSU’s QB a future financial analyst, Ohio State beats Miami, and more recently at the end of the Tebow era, Bama beats Florida in the SEC championship game. (If we don’t read history backwards but rather remember times as they were, Florida was THEE BIG PROGRAM that year and Alabama was the upstart.) NOW: Time after time, Big O wins. My prediction record simply stunk in the big bowls this year.

- The only thing I can still hold my breath on…I predicted Florida State would be the national champs BEFORE they beat Clemson in Clemson. When Clemson was favored. So now watch. That freaking Iron Bowl Team of Destiny will make me look ridiculous. Again. And a man in my position can’t be made to look…nevermind.

- Not that I am especially happy about it, but I’m buying pitt’s football future.

- Jim Mora is as nutty as a fruitcake. (I mean that in the totally politically correct way.) Too bad he didn’t go to Texas. “Arrogance Deserves Nuts”. That’s my new motto. I’ll let you guys add whatever tagline you wish, though I’m likely to take a beating over it.

This has been a TREMENDOUS year for college football. As previously noted, don’t read history backwards and **Quick** tell me:
    - Back in July before we saw anyone, you know, play, who had Florida State and Auburn in the championship game?
    * Who had Auburn with a freaking winning record???
    * Who had Alabama and Ohio State with TWO losses?
    - And a season ending with a VERY legit shot at ending SEC championship dominance…but with an SEC team almost freakishly sneaking into the championship game so it still has a chance to continue. To Be The Champ You Have To Beat The Champ. Isn’t it BETTER this way? Even if you DESPISE the SEC?

ISN’T IT JUST FREAKING BETTER???

Second bullet. Last letter should be O not D.

“…against Florida State’s O”.

9. Good column, Drew K. Very well spoken. Couldn’t agree with you more on the defense. I enjoyed the 24-20 Rose Bowl much better than these 40-35, 52-48-type games. I played defense way back in the day and I still love to see good defense.

Even the Steelers this season with a better offense, I enjoyed the stiflings of the Browns and games won and held onto by the D.

Even Denver can be beaten on any given day by a solid D, if there is one in the NFL anymore.

But do you think Pitt should use some 1-3-1 today ? :)

Column? no. I just ramble.

And seriously. For about a year I badgered about college football, but over the past few months I started putting up some reasonably serious, if stoopid, thoughts about it. I decided that if I wanted to get a conversation going, I kinda owed it to try to do a LITTLE research and throw up some content rather than just whine about the lack of it. Up to a reasonable point, it’s worked. I know college football isn’t the favorite topic around here, and it doesn’t have to be, but we’ve occasionally all strung together some meaningful CF conversations.

By the way. Way back in the leather helmet days?

12. I know how it works better in basketball than I do in hockey and they ain’t sayin much.

:D

You mean sit the rest of the D and play 5 on 11? Man. THAT’S old school football.

14. No, but we were issued ones without facemasks in 7th grade. I actually drilled mine and put one on. Later, we made the grade and got those full face masks that you couldn’t see out of. Plus, I had to wear glasses to play. That was real convenient. Looking through fog and a bunch of gray, rubber rungs.

So why are you buying Pitt’s football future?

And, BTW, sounds like O’Brien had a classy news conference in Texas, and said a lot of good things about Penn State.

Why:

buying younger guys who had some playing time
    buying the coach setting up his program to match the system he wants to use
    buying recruits up to a point and at least fitting aforementioned system
    buying stability-smarts-effectiveness (if not, well, zippiness) of coach
    buying some fairly big and meaningful wins that may not have happened in past seasons
    buying seven wins against tougher competition in 2013 vs six against weaker in recent seasons

I’m not expecting or buying Alabama-Florida State-Stanford-Oregon from pitt. But if they are selling consistent improvement and consistent competitiveness and just plain, old fashioned stability, I’m buying.

SOLD to the delusional man in Florida !

I wasn’t disagreeing, just curious. Thanks.

Didn’t take it as such. Just briskly answered because I’m rushing to get out of the house.

She’s angry. Again.

20. “that” ain’t sayin much

If you hold it, make the other argument. It’ll be bloggishly fun to play both sides out.

true in several ways

But I’m having a good day so far & I’d rather not depress myself. I’m going with what you said.

24. Lad 9 says:

ACC opener. Good to see conference basketball again. Let’s go Pitt!

They’re going to have to shoot better than 1 for 7. Nerves?

26. J Walter Weatherman says:

Don’t think NC State will run Pitt out of the arena, but as I’ve watched this Pitt team lately, they’re not playing nearly as well as they were earlier this season. Hate to think this team peaked in November. As always with Pitt, it comes down to shooting – they’re in a team-wide funk right now.

Cue the crap about the schedule.

28. Barb says:

I see Pitt’s shooting is as cold as it is outside. BRRRR!!!! Ugh.

If you think about it, Jamie’s teams always peak in November.

1974 NCAA National Final between UCLA and NC State is one of my earliest college basketball memories.

I use to love to watch David “Skywalker” Thompson play ball.

31. J Walter Weatherman says:

They certainly don’t peak in March. Zing!

32. J Walter Weatherman says:

Remember all that talk earlier this year about Pitt being a legit top 25 team and top 4 ACC team? That was hilarious.

*used

34. Reading says:

Brick city. What else is new.

35. Reading says:

Pitt impersionating Champion Baptist. 104 point loss in play.

Panthers clearly intimidated by all those empty seats.

37. J Walter Weatherman says:

Not used to seeing a Pitt team get manhandled in the paint. Like men against boys in there right now.

38. Our Buckeyes were down early, too, Milo, at home against Nebraska. Tied now. At least they play some teams you don’t have to look up to see where they come from. Not many, though before the Big 10 schedule.

She’s not still. Slow, maybe.

Oh. You probably meant that a different way.

Speaking of slow. Why does it take her 17 minutes to pull out of a parking space?

Where I would buckle belt, start engine and look out a window all in one motion, she makes every step
    D E L I B E R A T E L Y
    and one at a freaking time.

And checks the
    seat position
    steering wheel position
    left side mirror position
    right side mirror position
    rear view mirror position
    Which were all frigging FINE when she pulled into the spot 20 stinking minutes ago.

And then E V E R so very
    S L O W L Y she looks
    left
    right
    back
    left
    right
    back
    That by the time she puts her foot on the break (another singular step), takes hold of the shift (another singular step), puts the car in reverse (another singular step), takes foot off the break (another singular step)…

A Volvo has driven the HALF FREAKING MILE since she started right into her path and **BANG** another $500 collision deductible!!

Did I just recklessly drive off topic?

What WAS the topic anyway?

Amazingly, he wasn’t allowed to dunk in college. The “Lee Alcindor Rule.”

Thanks Lucky. I found it on Big 10. Something to flip to. The game against Notre Dame was awesome. Just love Craft.

42. An accident? Why didn’t YOU drive?

43. J Walter Weatherman says:

What do you know, attacking the hoop instead of settling for jump shots is paying dividends. Helps that NC State keeps throwing passes off the rim.

Looks like they’ve shaken off the nerves. Clawing their way back.

Because then instead of separate steps its separate complaints.

That, and I probably had two or three. You know. To steady my nerves to prepare for her driving.

But try this one on for size. My younger son (20) is on Car Number Three.

Cars One and Two?

Totaled.

Switching to a 2-3 has really helped on the defensive end. They always have that in their pocket now.

47. J Walter Weatherman says:

Michael Young has a little too much Dante Taylor in him. Looks like a role player, not a significant contributor.

It’s very odd trying to follow basketball games on ESPN Gamecast.

DK: Here’s the feed N.C. State is giving us inside the building. Pretty sure you can access it:

And it’s an ugly performance even on gamecast.

What you’re seeing is a very inexperienced team whose few experienced players are completely untrustworthy.

51. Mercy.

Did he get his license in KY?

Here and Oklahoma are the worst drivers on the planet.

Try ESPN3.com.
    It streams the games.

I’d just LOVE to hear the upbeat rah rah halftime speech.

So, um…

Not very good, huh?

Don’t think that’s in Jamie’s repertoire. He’ll grunt something about rebounding though.

57. Only down 8 at the half after that horrendous start. Not that terrible.

True dat. A couple of stops and it’s a close game.

Drew, I read the encyclopedia set of information that you wrote about CFB above. A lot of good, and interesting points above.

But for me, I simply cant enjoy CFB as I once did. Only a small % of programs have a chance at a title each year. teams like Pitt will never have a realistic chance of being relevant on the national stage ever again.
    Unless a school is willing to commit hundreds os millions of $$$ to chase after the top prize, they dont stand a chance. And, I am not even going to mention the recruiting violations, and criminal behavior that some “student-athletes” engage in.

I still follow CFB because of Pitt, and I like seeing some posters being teased on here (here is looking at you, Lucky), but to me, CFB has become a sport where only certain “elites” can paly with the big boys, and the rest of the teams might be better served to drop to 1-AA status, so as to not become involved in the illusion of competitiveness.

Oh, and I fully understand why things are as they are….. $$$$$$$.

“When the breaks are brain’s the boys, win just one for

Milo. How’s that good day looking now?

Condolences to you this afternoon.
    I lit a candle for you last night. It was more for warmth, but I was with you in spirit……….

“When the breaks are beatin’ the boys, win just one for the Dejanipper.”

Weird.

I hate these darn tablets. Give me a archaic laptop any day of the week.

66. J Walter Weatherman says:

Interior defense is usually a strength for Jamie Dixon’s teams. Not this one.

Looking at beach houses for Spring Training. It’s going just fine, this dreck notwithstanding.

68. J Walter Weatherman says:

Nice start to 2nd half for Panthers. James Robinson’s offense isn’t progressing, but his defense is outstanding.

69. J Walter Weatherman says:

Good move. When the offense has been generally healthy – beginning of 2012 season and end of 2013 season – we’ve seen some really good things from Haley, Ben, and the offense. Hopefully the offense can stay healthy for a majority of next season.

… and getting better by the minute.

And a bright spot on this frigid day……. Pitt comes all the way back to take a 40-38 lead !!!!!!!!!

Hope this makes Milo’s day better. :)

Now if we could just find a 1st baseman.

73. Lad 9 says:

They may not look pretty, but Jamie’s teams are always mentally tough. See if they can sustain the effort now.

Guess that halftime speech worked pretty well, eh?
    They look completely different from the 1st half.

Check the Tigers’ bullpen.
    One might be hiding there.

Being that it’s an unfamiliar building it only stands to reason it would take them a while to find the switch. So much for southern hospitality.

77. JRay3 says:

After playing the worst 10 minutes of basketball I have witnessed from a Jamie Dixon team, starting in a 17-2 hole early Pitt storms back with a 43-23 run to build a 5 point lead.

On the road against stiffer ACC competition this shows a lot of character and resilience and toughness of this team which should bode well the rest of the way.

Great effort by these Panthers to show this fight, now just to finish this game off.

Patterson slashing to the hoop for the and one and Pitt takes 8 point lead, wow!

78. Lad 9 says:

All I wanted for Christmas was a first baseman, a top six winger, and left tackle….

Pitt up 10!!!!!!
    Wow!

80. Lad 9 says:

++++++++++. Up 10!

It was 17-2 NC State. 52-27 Pitt since. Ouch.

82. J Walter Weatherman says:

Great googly-moogly. Pretty drastic change for the Panthers. Hope they can finish it off. Aggression at the offensive end was the big difference. Kudos for Patterson for leading the charge. Young also playing much better in second half.

Maybe NC State needs a re-do on their halftime speech? ;)

Must be something about that basket down to the right.

Pitt attacking the basket, and hitting the boards.
    Maybe this comeback isnt that surprising after all?

Thank you, Dejan.

I guess Dixon does give good halftime speeches ! Good to see, and WOW !

It’s nice to see that Jamie Luckey is still the worst official in the country. There’s something to be said for consistency.

Holy Crap. I should leave more often.

Their non-conference schedule must have affected their first half.

That column got scrapped about 45 minutes ago. Too bad, I was looking forward to reading it. Again. :)

92. Thanks. 3 sorry games in row for the OSU defense. Very flawed. I wish Woody Hayes would have jumped out and punched a couple Clemson players. Or maybe Earle Bruce or John Cooper since they’re both still alive.

At least the basketball team is number 3 for a while.

93. :D

Wonder how many times DK has started over in this game.

73. ;)

95. JRay3 says:

One of the most dominat halves of basketball I have seen from Pitt, great job by Coach Dixon changing defense up, great effort from these kids.

Huge win on the road in the ACC opener to start conference play and plenty this team can use to build off of.

Looking forward to Monday night when Pitt plays Maryland at the Pete for first ACC home game.

Pitt finishes on a 72-45 run. Hello ACC.

Whew!

Absolutely stunning comeback for Pitt.
    This should give them much confidence going forward……. to win in a hostile arena, keeping their composure and blowing the doors off NC State in the 2nd half.

I think Pitt has found a recipe for success going forward……… drive the lane, and hit the boards. I know it sounds simple, but the results can easily be seen.
    Hopefully this will quiet the “schedule” people. Doubt it, but this sure was fun watching the 2nd half today.

Now we can go back to Tigers bullpen talk, waiting for Godot, …….. errr a 1B for the Pirates, and I can re-read Drew’s CFB encyclopedia set. ;)

What the heck happened???

I’ll take it though ;-)

Think a few eyebrows were raised across the league by that 2nd half?

101. Barb says:

Wow what a game! Truly a tale of 2 halves indeed.

102. Lad 9 says:

Real nice comeback after an abysmal start. Loved how After NC State cut the lead to 8 with about 2.5 minutes to go James Robinson decided the game was his with two hoops and a steal and game over. Will be in the house Monday night against the Terps. HTP!

Its Saturday, Biz.

now THAT’S analysis.

give me 2,000 words and I can make the same point.

105. Lad 9 says:

Really enjoyed Drew’s CFB posts today. Thank you sir. Maybe for next year you could combine your two favorite pastimes and offer a beer pairing with the CFB game of the week……

Oh, I enjoyed it also.
    Havent read that much material in a long time.

Well, except for the Tigers bullpen talk that I was told wasnt about the Tigers bullpen. But I do appreciate Drew’s passion for CFB.

107. Pitt won today after a sluggish first half 74-62, so at least the Panthers showed they could play as well against the ACC as they have against those non conference softies, and now, the next test is against Maryland on Monday.

108. Clark Martineau says:

I guess it worked!

Titans fire Mike Munchak.
    Let the Penn State rumors begin in earnest.

Haley = not a scapegoat.

:-)

The Chiefs first half is almost as good as Pitt’ s second half.

Alex Smith>Andrew Luck ?

I guess they’d have scored a lot more if they didn’t rest their starters last week.

NFL playoffs, y’all. Tremendous.

No. Not a scapegoat. Haley is a retread.

Love how the Chiefs’ receivers and runners keep stopping the clock.

And their kicker, Succop, looks pretty good from just over 40, doesn’t he?

118. twentytwo22 says:

Succop 42 and 43 yd FGs from the left hash.

119. pattonbb says:

What an amazing game.

Chiefs’ starters are dropping like flies.

Must be what happens when you don’t play for two weeks.

121. pattonbb says:

Indy may have to score again.

Another first down and they can put it in Automatic Succop’s hands.

Or foot.

That’s gonna leave a mark.

124. Steelkings says:

Too funny…Indy does with the O what the Steelers used to do. They Believe their QB will bring them back every time

125. Dom says:

Could the Colts beat New England?

An imperfect, injury riddled New England? Absolutely.

But hard to picture going much further. No other opposing coach will run the prevent at them for 40 minutes of game time.

If the Bungles win tomorrow, wouldnt Indy go to Denver?

128. The Chiefs also blew a 38-10 halftime lead and lost 45-44, so we can all now see the stupidity of resting the starters for so long.