Oilers 4, Penguins 3, OT

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (32-12-1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (14-27-5)

Time: 10:08 p.m.

Site: Rexall Place, Edmonton, Alberta

TV, radio: Root Sports, 105.9 The X

Here’s the official live summary.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Penguins page. Josh Yohe is your pipeline to pucks.

Comments

1. Wild Bill says:

Pens app said no Bryz for the Oilers tonight, and the Z has the goal for the Pens.

Good game to get the Z-man some minutes. Need to pounce on this sorry team early and often. Run them out of the rink in period 1.

3. Carlos Danger says:

I am probably in the minority here but I have never been a big letang fan and didn’t feel he deserved that contract. Hindsight being 20/20, do you think we still would have signed him to that contract after seeing the skill of these young defensemen and how quickly they seem to have adjusted to NHL play?

I’m on record as saying that although I realize he is a great talent, he makes a lot of undisciplined plays trying to make the highlight reel ones. I think, on balance over the course of the season, he does a lot more good than harm. But, boy, against a good team in the playoffs, a couple of bone-headed decisions can kill you. I would consider trading him for some offensive help for Sid with Duper out. As you say, we now know a lot of the kid defenders can play. I thought we emphasized D-men in the draft to have trade chips.

5. Carlos Danger says:

I would love for letang to to win multiple Norris Trophies and make me eat crow. I just can’t see it happening. Wondering what everyone else thought. I love the pens but would never claim to be a hockey expert, so I would like to hear what other more hockey-knowledgable people have to say.

With the trade deadline March 5th this year, there is still plenty of time to make decisions. I feel the GM’s will do most of their thinking during the Olympic break.

I would be in favor of trading LeTang if the Pens could get good pieces in return.

Taylor Pyatt skates like Brad Marsh. And Marsh is 55.

Nice to see the refs stinking up the joint again.
    maybe some of the refs from Sochi can come back to work NHL games……

Pens were awful + Oilers stink = scoreless tie.

Indeed I do, Spunky, I’d like to see him get his head outta his butt and play responsible hockey.

That first period was rather putrid, wasn’t it Milo?

12. Wild Bill says:

Was a snore – hopefully better while I’m sleeping. You guys have it from here.

I’m gonna try to stay up a bit

Yuck. A little rusty.

Why is it talented teams seem to always play down to the opposition’s level?
    Players and coaches always deny that they “overlook” an opponent, but it occurs so frequently, one has to really wonder what is going on.

The Steelers of the 70′s (72-79)were a ridiculous number against teams under .500……… like 51-2 or something?

Just seems odd…… and the Pens aren’t the only team guilty of this……..

If you can’t keep the clock correct, how can you expect to referee a game correctly?

smh

YOu’re right Hipposter, the Pens do it all the time

Neal Scires!

And, aren’t you up past your bedtime? ;)

Nealer!

No work tomorrow ;)

Congrats.
    All we need is the Good Reverend to make a 1-3-1 joke, and we will be fine.

Hubby is working, tho, I have to make sure he’s up by 6:15 lol

The Oilers have only had the lead after 2 periods 10 times. They are 9-1. That’s 9 of their 14 wins. Needless to say, this is a very important period.

Indeed…and Nealer just helped.

Yee Haw!!!! SCORE

nice snipe by Sid

Hee Haw?? ;)

They credited it to Sid.

Thanks young Sam.

indeed

Buy Sam a drink and get his dog one too

Is young Sam allowed to drink? I wouldn’t want young Sam or you to get in trouble.

Milo, I had a phone call tonight reminding me of a HS basketball game Tuesday night.

#2 vs #3 Hampton vs New Castle at Hampton. It is rare for top teams in the state to meet this early in the year. Hampton is favored, but New Castle have won 7 straight against Hampton.

Being you are the blog’s HS reporter extraordinaire, I thought this would peak your curiosity.

me? lol I fall asleep before I can get in trouble

They’re in the same section so this is the 1st of at least 2 meetings. How about this, those two played in the AAA championship game in 2012 & the Quad A championship game in 2013.

What the hell is up with Dubnyk??

Indeed. I got play-by-play from my friends back home.

Hampton has the more experienced team, and a huge height advantage.
    New Castle has the quickness and shooting advantage, and better athletes.
    New Castle already beat #1 (in their class) Lincoln Park, another team with a huge size advantage.

I think the key will be Hampton’s collective heads. They have been favored to beat NC before, and haven’t done it in 3 years.

I now get us back to our hockey game. ;)

double poop!

This all traces back to that bonehead momentum shifter by Malkin late in the 2nd period.

Or it could be a jinx that you stated above ^^^^^ about the Oilers and leads after 2 periods……. ;)

42. Stuart says:

Is Brooks minus 2? Engel land with a big turnover.

Oh oh 4 on 4. Correction 4 on 3!

Stuart

43. Stuart says:

Tanger gets it on the goal!

Stuart

woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. Stuart says:

+++++++

friggin ^%%$#

47. I don’t think those signs mean good language. ;)

48. Stuart says:

Ortharambic frabenatz!

Stu

Lack of a killer instinct on this team will not be good come playoff time.

Amazing this is the same team that staged that wonderful comeback in Vancouver…….. and playing minor-league hockey tonight.

50. 1-3-1 lacking in the 3rd period.

dang OT

52. Stuart says:

Amen Rev!
    Stuart

53. aaron says:

Giving up 3.43 goals a game since Letang has been back in the lineup…… Just sayin.

OK, that’s part 1. Now part 2 is to kill the rest of the penalty.

A lot more lacking than the 1-3-1, Reverend.
    Maybe Bylsma needs to paint over the schedule, and place the Broonz, ‘Hawks, and ducks on every game?

Or not.

UGH that stinks….I don’t think we can count on Zats for a back up come playoffs.

58. aaron says:

Was that Adams on the ice for the game losing goal again?

59. Stuart says:

Was Orpic on the ice for all of the goals?

Stuart

all for naught :/

Horrible Final 21:00 of the game tonight.
    Played down to Edmonton’s level.

The REAL Penguins need to show up tomorrow night in Calgary.

and on that note I am off to bed…nigth!

Next time, let’s see if we can find 3 slower guys to put out there when we’re down 4 against 3. Scotty used to put Paul Coffey out there in that situation with all that open ice.

64. Stuart says:

A good bit of that one goes on Dan for double-shifting Sutter. He took the kind of penalty you take when you’re out of gas.

Stuart

And they promptly ran Scotty out of town.
    Pay no attention to all those Stanley Cups he coached………

66. Eric Bowser says:

Scuderi rips into team after the game.

All those goals are exciting but it isn’t playoff hockey.

Wise, wise man.

67. Carlos Danger says:

I felt like the 2nd period was the only time they were being aggressive and committed to their normal style of play. Glad we at least got a point out of that. But a felt like the last 2 games they have looked almost lackadaisical out there. It has been awesome to salvage some points but definitely not our best exhibitions on the western trip so far. In my humble opinion at least.

68. Eric Bowser says:

I enjoy the narrative…. “Pens are 1st in East, you can’t criticize this team.”

Scuderi blew the lid off that one tonight.

Pens had over 26 turnovers tonight…. and a ton weren’t even registered in the first period. This was a terrible game by everyone involved.

The lack of depth at forward is quite concerning and the longer team goes without addressing the 1st line RW spot opened up with Dupuis’ injury, I think Shero is doing the team a disservice.

Craig Adams doesn’t deserve a jersey right now.

No points since November 1, brutal failures getting puck out of zone, finishing a play, and lack of speed hurting ability to cover his position. I will say it until I’m blue in the face, he’s not NHL quality.

69. Carlos Danger says:

Seems like an unfortunate trend like I was sayin earlier. I know Letang is way above this level of instruction, but is wonder if he would benefit from the same rules that Despres had when he was demoted to the baby pens earlier. Focusing on defensive play. From what I remember reading, for Despres it was “Simple Simon” – letting his defense create the offense, rather than trying to force the offense and this compromising the defense. I know letang scored a goal tonight, and it was awesome, but honestly that even made me more frustrated, cause his offensive talent is more than apparent, but his defensive lapses are the same.

70. Carlos Danger says:

So many typos. Damn pabst. Hope you can interpret though. My bad.

71. Glen says:

Adams is pointless in 32 games and a -14 in those. -10 in his last 11. Never misses a shift, gets more ice time the more important it gets not to concede. Tonight was an exceptionally awesome example of why Dan Bylsma does not get it.

72. pauldia says:

Finally a voice of frustration and leadership. Rob Scuderi ,I say Thank-You. After the last two playoffs,I said I was from Missouri now and the regular season is devalued for this Blysma team. “Show me”,is the mantra,and unless thins change,we will have a team which competes for the Presidents trophy,and makes a hasty exit when the going gets tough. I will feel more comfortable when Blysma finally sit s a star or two,Who can remember ever a message being sent by him to the likes of Letang or Malkin or heaven forbid Crosby ? Look out Dan, you might draw a team like Philly in the early rounds and they will salivate a t the whinning and pirouette performing Pens. And you will offer some gibberish as to why your team fell apart. If that occurs go find a mirror and the answer will be staring you in the face.

Yinz are all correct!

74. Sarah says:

Jim you were channelling me!

75. Sarah says:

Carlos from my perspective as a goalie his negatives far outweigh his positives. His skating allows him to recover on pinches sometimes, though with a knee injury that has been an issue. His SA and IQ are simply poor and he makes killer mistakes, which in the playoffs are magnified.

76. twentytwo22 says:

The Penguins defensive core played better when the veterans were injured.

Saw Yohe’s tweet. Last 3 games.

Malkin 10-2 +8
    Scuderi 2-7 -5
    Orpik 2-7 -5
    Adams 0-6 -6

It’s a funny list. Other than Despres
    Players with talent +
    Players with no talent -

Bobby Ryan is home for the Olympics.

77. Vette60 says:

Well, The Piece isn’t afraid to tell it like it is, isn’t he? Good for him since the group has played poorly the last few games and giving up the lead again…

Regarding 27, he definitely has lost it. Agree with Bowser and Glen’s stats above are telling…

Listening the game with Lange and the ol’ 29er, they kinda ripped him, without ripping him. Had a ton of time to get the puck out, didn’t get enough on it, etc…feels awful about it, etc.

Tough game and while I didn’t see the Malkin penalty in the 2nd, sounds like a typical brain cramp kinda move by him.

Have a good one.

Later.
    Randy in RVA

78. Richard says:

Terrible effort. They showed a lack of respect for their opponent. Pittsburgh got what it deserved.

79. hockeymonster says:

Ok lets not overreact people. No we didn’t lose cuz of Letang. I didn’t blog much yesterday but my main point on contention was “does Adams have to play every game”?

We lost cuz trend of bottom 6 not holding their own continued. Sutter didn’t have his best game. Adams needs a breather…if disco doesn’t see this than we have a new front to fight regarding his stubbornness.

Tanger was actually really solid again last night. He made 1 or 2 bad passes but other than that he was our best dman contrary to popular belief. Looked up box score and didnt realize that Neal got a diving penalty after that one cross check?!?!? How heck did that happen? Weird.

I would play Sill ahead of Pyatt tonight. Sill for adams last night like i wanted could’ve been all the difference. He didnt just struggle in OT he was fighting the puck all night. Hope disco realizes that he needs a breather.

80. Joni says:

Last Oilers goal in regulation = Sutter double shifted, took a penalty due to fatigue

Overtime PK goal = Adams double shifted and fatigued/doesn’t clear the puck.

I can understand DB wanting to give the Pens’ top lines a rest for Saturday’s game, but his strategy at the end of regulation (double-shifting 3rd and 4th line players) may not have been structurally sound with the fire power of Edmonton’s top lines.

Oh, and how ’bout those talented youngsters of Edmonton! I never get to see them play because they start so late. Can you imagine of our young D was pasted on to the Oilers young forwards? Yikes!

81. Joni says:

The word that I associate with Malkin’s play last night was petulant. I saw Malkin standing in place or not going after the puck in the defensive zone. Then he kicked away the other goalie’s stick. Really?
    The semi-good news is that Malkin spent some extra time on the bench after he got out of the box. I don’t remember that happening before.

82. Joni says:

My theory is that Adams is hurt and is trying to hang on to his job by playing through the pain. Not working out so well for him or the team.

83. hockeymonster says:

Those guys got burned out cuz of all the injuries. I hope megna and bennett are on the mend.

84. Joni says:

I agree that Adams and Sutter (and others) are burnt out trying to carry a heavier load to compensate for all of the injuries. My main concern is how Bylsma used these same generally fatigued players and then double shifted them at the end of last night’s game. Less than wise on Bylsma’s part.

As for Beau Bennett, the Pens definitely need them some Sunshine! I heard somewhere that Bennett would be back after the Olympics.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle