Pitt 81, Georgia Tech 74

Looking ahead to tipoff ..

Game: No. 22 Pitt (15-1, 3-0 ACC) vs. Georgia Tech (10-6, 1-2)

Time: 9:05 p.m.

Site: McCamish Pavilion, Atlanta

TV, radio: ESPNU, ESPN3, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live summary.

Here is our Pitt pageKevin Gorman is on the scene.

Comments

Prediction:

Pitt 71, GA Tech 63. Pitt improves to 4-0 in its inaugural season of ACC play.

2. Steelkings says:

I was reading on the other rag that the Whiz in Tennessee will ask the Steelers for permission to talk with Keith Butler. How is that even a good fit at all. The Titans run a 4-3 and all Butler knows is the 3-4. The Titans certainly would need to turn over some personnel to even begin that transformation. In today’s NFL, why would you try and rebuild the defense? There is no room for error. Lose two years in a row and the career dissipation light starts blinking.

DK: Doesn’t mean the Steelers will grant that permission. And the original reporting of Whisenhunt’s interest came from Jason La Canfora of CBS.

3. tpbco says:

Hope ur right Jim..this the kind of game that they traditionally struggle with.

New ranking – Cuse coming up and first game without DJ.

Hot dog ! Nothing like college buckets on a cold winter’s night. I’m taking a cue from Milo. Putting the kids to bed early, letting my wife watch Bravo downstairs, while I retire upstairs with hot chocolate and the last of the Christmas candy canes. Watch my Badgers first and, then, the Panthers.

Two notable celebrity alums in entertainment went to Georgia Tech. Jeff Foxworthy went there, as did Randolph Scott. (I hardly ever turn the channel when I come across a Randolph Scott film on TCM).

A bunch of science and engineering greats went there. Obviously. Unfortunately, I’ve never heard of any of them which sort of tells you where my priorities are.

The school has the rare distinction of producing a POTUS. Not a lot of schools outside of the Ivy League or Eastern seaboard can claim such a distinction, at least in the modern era. Jimmy Carter is a grad.

Go Pitt!!!!!

(Hope nobody minds me doing these alumni posts with the Pitt games. I kinda enjoy it).

I enjoy it.

I hope the BIG screen TV is upstairs.

6. Barb says:

I just checked and the Pitt-Georgia Tech game will be on ESPNU also.

Yes. CBS hasn’t been the same since Cronkite retired.

Good investigative work, Barb. :)

9. Stuart says:

I’m with you Wiscosnerman. Got my channel ready for the game.

I’m guessing Newkirk gets some additional minute.

Liken the increased exposure that comes with the ACC for the Panthers.

Stuart

10. Barb says:

Yes I am the second coming of Dick Tracy.

:D

12. Stuart says:

Careful Barb, there’s a really old joke about that.

dK must have missed the ESPNU. Thanks though, rather watch on the TV than the net.

Stuart

13. Barb says:

I hate trying to watch live action on the internet.

A good test, Pitt should win this game

In the past, sometimes they have not done such.

Any new bloggers out there that want to sign our roster??

15. Stuart says:

+++ Me 2.

Stuart

16. chethejet says:

Yes I am the second coming of Dick Tracy.

Who is Tracy?

17. Stuart says:

He is a member of Apple’s R&D team, said to be responsible for the watch/phone.

JK. It’s an age thing.

Stuart

18. Barb says:

Stuart I may have started something with my reference to Dick Tracy. As you said it’s an age thing.

So that makes you Tess Truehart?

20. Brandie says:

Go Pitt!

I enjoyed Pitt basketball a lot as a kid. Jerome Lane was a sight to behold. Good to see the Panthers doing well so far in the ACC.

Jerome and Charles Smith were friends of mine when I went to Pitt.
    Two completely different characters.
    Both great guys.

22. Brandie says:

And Jerry Jones is Prune Face.

23. Barb says:

Only in my dreams! :)

24. Barb says:

HAHAHAHAHA! Too much Brandecita!

25. Barb says:

That Pitt team was awesome.

It was.

Great group of guys.

27. Stuart says:

Yes Barb, one has to be careful when conversing with Lunatics. We are all of varied ages, and life experiences. Still, it’s often a lot of fun.

Stuart

Well, now I just need a Pitt win to make this a perfect night.

My high school just went to the #2 ranked team in the state, and beat them 58-42. 19-5 difference in the 4th quarter.
    This makes 59 consecutive regular season wins in a row.

LET’S GO PITT !!!!!!!!

29. Brandie says:

I get chills when I think of that backboard shattering. The look on Jerome Lane’s face was “Steve Uriel Did I Do That” priceless.

30. Brandie says:

And John Russell is Mumbles.

31. Brandie says:

You are having an awesome night Plan.

32. casper in a-town says:

Heck of a game, Plan! I just got done listening to it. Canes came up big on the road. Can’t wait for the rematch at the Fieldhouse February 7th. Hopefully Ryan Luther will be playing in that one.

It will be closer with him in there, but I just don’t see Hampton beating NC. They are in Hampton’s heads. And they have superior athletes.

Glad you got a chance to listen to the game, Casper.
    I listened to it, and had my cell blow up from people texting me from the game, in case they thought I was out, or something.

Now we just need a Pitt win !!

34. casper in a-town says:

I agree completely. Canes just have Hampton’s number. Ryan will make it a closer game and pretty fun to watch (I WILL be going to that one).

Funny about your cell phone blowing up. Mine, too. Plus my old man called me twice. It’s great to see the Canes making such a great run.

Pitt looking good so far!

Pitt doesn’t give up on shots. They keep working until the possession is done.

This arena needs more lights.

Apologies to your Badgers getting beat tonight.

This arena went through a $50 million dollar renovation, and they forgot the lights. It used to be a bright arena.

37. Barb says:

Thanks John I thought it was me. I know I have old eyes but really.

38. Balance in the BiG, John. Indiana upsets the Badgers.

When I turned 43 my eyes started going to h-e-double hockey sticks.

At least I don’t need that walk in tub…..yet.

It’s a tough league.

Oh well, I knew the Badgers weren’t the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers.

Why do I have the feeling that John is watching this game on the 19″ tube TV upstairs while his wife is watching Queer Eye for the Staight guy on the 60″ flat screen downstairs?

42. I can’t see any team coming out of there with less than 2 or 3 losses. You’re right. It is a tough league. That should help around tourney time.

44. J Walter Weatherman says:

Lamar Patterson must have some money on this game – for GT.

45. J Walter Weatherman says:

On the flip side, this is probably James Robinson’s best game this season.

Patterson scoreless in the first half.
    Way too many turnovers.

Even with that, Pitt is lucky to be down only 3 at the half.
    Coach Dixon needs to light a fire at halftime.

47. Stuart says:

Patterson sometimes disappears at inopportune times. Newkirk hasn’t done much either. The key to this one may be making foul shots by Pitt. Also need to come out fast in second half. Pretty good game though.

Stuart

48. J Walter Weatherman says:

Off topic. When I see the Lions hiring Jim Caldwell as coach, I think to myself: “Maybe having Mike Tomlin as coach isn’t that bad”. Lions fans have to be scratching their heads over that decision.

49. J Walter Weatherman says:

Cam Wright’s in-conference play has been really disappointing. Seems to have lost confidence in his jump shot.

50. JRay3 says:

Just another work man like performance being turned in by the Panthers as they have come out strong in the second half on the road using an 20-8 spurt to take 52-43 lead.

Pitt just has the ability to wear teams down with their aggressive style of play and relentlessness every second of every possession.

Hard to believe that Pitt and Syracuse are about to be 8-0 in the ACC setting up the biggest game of the ACC season this Saturday while Duke and UNC are 2-5 in conference.

Looks like Pitt is telling the ACC they have to adjust to them as Pitt is not having to adjust for anybody.

51. JRay3 says:

Having a very solid night tonight….4-7 from the field, 8 points, 4 assists, 2 boards, and a steal….contributing in many ways this evening.

52. JRay3 says:

The Panther win margin in ACC play this season – 12, 15, 20….tonight up 13 on the road….impressive.

Agreed.

Never underestimate the power of a Jamie Dixon halftime speech.
    First half, Pitt looked awful.
    Second half, Pitt looks great.

In terms of both adjustments, and actual speech, Dixon is a master of using halftime to his advantage.

55. J Walter Weatherman says:

Patterson’s passing in the 2nd half looks like Lebron James. Unfortunately, his passing in the 1st half looked like Rick James.

56. J Walter Weatherman says:

It got much better after my post. He was nearly invisible in the game prior to that.

57. JRay3 says:

Pitt showcasing how balanced this team is, on a night when leading scorer Lamar Patterson is shooting 3-12 from the field and has 8 points, Robinson steps up and pours in 15….Wright getting easy buckets at the rim adds 14, Zanna another monster performance with 20.

Pitt dismantling the Rambling Wreck on the boards 34-19….recipe to winning on the road, out work, out hustle and find balance.

58. casper in a-town says:

Classic!

59. Stuart says:

Way too many 3-point plays on D. Defensively, th Panthers are a little thin at the Bigs.

Young has a lot of promise but making many Freshman mistakes on D. Artis and Randall are pretty raw.

Stuart

Pitt looking very bad the last 2 minutes.
    Need to concentrate, and hit FT’s.

61. JRay3 says:

Behind 57% shooting on the night, four Panthers scoring in double digits, a nearly 2-1 rebounding edge, the Panthers earn their second ACC road win of the season knocking off GT in Atlanta 81-74 to improve to 16-1 and 4-0 in league play.

With the win, it now sets the stage for the lone two remaining unbeaten in league play ACC teams Syracuse and Pitt for their showdown at the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon. Looking forward to what might be the biggest college hoops game of the weekend.

62. JRay3 says:

Actually I think the sloppy last couple of minutes in closing this game out can be a good thing for this squad, as it will give Jamie Dixon something to harp on and to get the team focused on.

I know when teams start building those double digit leads it can be easy to lay off the gas pedal a bit, but this could be a good learning lesson for later in the year.

Wow.
    After a first half of too many turnovers, Pitt plays great for the first 18 minutes of the second half, then returns to horrible basketball for the final 2 minutes.
    They wake up in time for a 81-74 victory on the road in Atlanta.

Talib Zanna stepped up tonight with 22 points and 9 rebounds.
    Cameron Wright, and James Robinson each stepped up tonight also.

Lamar Patterson had a horrible shooting night (4-13), but did have 7 assists. Hopefully he got this game out of his system before saturday.

ACC co-leaders Pitt and Syracuse battle Saturday.
    GO PITT !!

I hope so.
    They can’t afford to do this against Syracuse.

65. JRay3 says:

Pitt always plays Syracuse tough and has won 6 of last 8 meetings with the Orange. Jamie Dixon and his team seems to have a system that can break down the zone.

Syracuse did not look very good in their win at 5-11 BC last night. I think this Panthers team is showing it can play with anybody.

66. JRay3 says:

Some interesting numbers in looking at Pitt – Syracuse this Saturday:

Pitt has won 6 of the last 8 meetings with Orange
    Pitt has won 9 of the last 12 meetings with Orange
    Pitt has won 14 of the last 19 meetings with Orange

Saturday can’t get here soon enough.

++++++++