Panthers 5, Penguins 1

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (34-12-2) vs. Florida Panthers (18-23-7)

Time: 7:08 p.m.

Site: Consol Energy Center

TV, radio: Root Sports, RDS (Quebec), 105.9 The X

Here’s the official live summary.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Penguins page. Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe are on the scene.

Comments

1. Ray Sisak says:

Hi Dejan,

Hockey remains my favorite sport, but events like Vanc/Calgary make me wonder. I HATE IT.

My wife and I have been half season ticket holders for quite a while. We are usually the only two people at Consol who do not stand up and cheer for fights. If they fight on TV I switch channels until it is over.

I wish they would clean up the game. If not they might lose me some day.

Ray Sisak
    Aleppo Township

2. Court Jester says:

Everyone except Duper seems to be in the lineup for tonight FINALLY. Poor putty tats. Let’s go pens!

Ray, good points.
    The NHL runs the risk of losing fans over the fighting, but they don’t seem to care. The neanderthals running the league don’t want to let go of the 1950′s style goonism. They think fans come only for the fights. Then, even when they see the huge ratings Olympic hockey garners, they still trun the blind eye.

And, welcome to the blog. Bizrow the Retired will add your residence to his list of places we are all from. Say “hi” to Mario the next time you bump into him, as you live close to him. ;)

4. Court Jester says:

The last game I went to we had to put up with a row of 12-13 year olds who were screaming for a fight after every stoppage in play. I found it to be horrible. The NHL wants to appeal to the adolescents who scream for blood and the 40 year old adolescents who scream for carnage at every chance. So sad that they want to put a product on the ice who appeals to the lowest common denominator fans.

5. dcpinpgh says:

It’s getting deep in here. Has anyone ever met someone and actually heard the words, “I stopped going to NHL games because they fight!”

Yes, I have.
    More than you would imagine.
    Seriously, those people have said if they wanted to see fighting, they would watch boxing, or MMA.

7. tpbco says:

And if it was just fighting, as it was intended, and relatively rare it would be one thing. I, for one, enjoy good CLEAN hard hitting hockey.

BS like the Vancouver/Calgary brawl, ray emery, shawn thornton, todd bertuzzi, the Pens/NYI “event” of a couple of years ago are in fact making a joke out of the sport…and in every one of those instances, management and or coaches condoned or encouraged it and the league either can’t or won’t reign it in.

The trendline on this is not pointing to a happy ending and the league has no one to blame but itself.

8. scapper says:

Kind of agree, Ray. I used to enjoy fights back in the day when you could pretty certain that no one was going to be seriously injured. (Showing my age here…I’m not just talking 10-15 years ago.) But today’s players are so ripped that fights are now too dangerous.

Dave Schultz et al were beasts, but they weren’t going to maim or cause longterm damage or kill anyone with those mostly everyman arms and shoulders they had.

But today? I can’t stand the fights. I don’t root for the Pen to win. I just hope for a quick finish with as few direct hits as possible. When a fight starts, I don’t see Pen vs. Opponent. I see two guys I hope survive pretty much unscathed. Someone is going to be killed some day on the ice, just like people get killed in drunken parking lot fights that result in manslaughter charges.

9. scapper says:

No, but that doesn’t mean many of us longtime hockey fans don’t recognize that things have changed. It’s simply too dangerous. You’ve seen the bodies on these guys in locker room interviews and whatever other shows these guys are featured on. Fights are simply too dangerous anymore. It’s a shame, because they used to be great. A bloody nose, a gash above the eye…and that was it. But someone is going to die on the ice.

10. Hang in there, Ray.

11. Just because it will likely be an uphill battle to get rid of hockey fighting doesn’t mean we have to accept it or merely ignore it, since there usually is no need or excuse for it, and we can continue to hope that this garbage will someday end, no matter how passionately it may be defended by some old timers.

12. Pucknutz says:

Little late tonight but gotta get my….

LETS GO PENS !!!

13. Pucknutz says:

No I have never heard that said. But at the same time I have never heard someone say they go to a hockey game to see the fights .Most hockey fans I know (myself included) don’t really care – ban it – won’t hurt my enjoyment of the game. Have a nice scrum – some face washin – pushing and shoving – like a baseball fight – very little injury – send a few guys to the box – works for me. Start throwen punches etc – fine and suspension. Simple.
    I do believe that the biggest roadblock is the players themselves — they do not want to outlaw it. The code, I guess.

14. Pucknutz says:

Shorthanded sucks !! Letang did what he could – Flower had a good look at it ….

15. Personally, I don’t consider NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s proposal to do away with the extra point after a touchdown a bad idea although some old school fans understandably might. The NFL Commissioner wants to replace that with either an automatic 7 points or else the two point conversion, resulting in 8 points if successful or 6 points if not.

That made me so angry I yelled at the television and scared poor Shelby

the guys are playing just the way I thought they might. Drives me crazy. Hope they focus better the second period. Short-handed goal allowed to the Panthers?? Smh

Making Clemenson look like Patrick Roy

19. Pucknutz says:

Don’t go crazy Saint (well.. maybe too late for that ..) Little rusty is all … Mr Bylsma will get then to their game before it is all over. :)

20. Brandie says:

Scatter shot hockey. SMH.

Pens playing down to their opposition yet again.
    Duck needs to go “Richard Sherman” on them. ;)

Are you kidding me?????

23. Well, anyhow, Pitt is now no. 20 in the AP poll and no. 19 in the coaches’ poll, for all that’s worth.

Yeah, they went up 3 spots for losing.
    Go figure………

25. hockeymonster says:

So who we trading/firing now?

You. ;)

27. Brandie says:

Everyone has a hiccup every now and then.

What? Wrong response?

OK! FIRE BYLSMA because you cannot spell Abysmal without Bylsma.

What? Still wrong?

Demote Despres!!! Wait a minute. Already did that. Oh well…fresh out of ideas.

Is it too early to sacrifice James Franklin, Brandie? ;)

3-0 just wow. Way to screw up a home winning streak…..&^%$!!!!

And remember, we play Buffalo soon…not sure I’m gonna watch that game…

31. Shame. I go to prayer service and come back to this.

Better light a fire under them in the 3rd period.

:o

Like a blowtorch fire, or a volcano fire?

nah…this one is a write off. Those guys are not focused at all.

34. scapper says:

What? Pens finally losing at home, the first time in many weeks? They are awful! Fire Disco. What can they get for Geno? Maata looks tired. Neal is inconsistent. Pronovost was overrated. Consol Energy Center doesn’t have enough bathrooms. Lemieux didn’t fight enough….

Signed,

Average Pens Fan

Someone better rein Sid in.

36. Back to only 2 down. Time to focus yet.

pffffttt!!! :P

:sigh:

39. Barb says:

My many thanks to those who make the schedule up for the lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng layoff. No wonder they can’t get started. (Have to blame someone don’t I?)

indeed

It’s a Panthers goal, for goodness sake. Give it to them so we don’t look worse than we already do!

Too late.

oh. My. God.

ummm.. yeah.

Nice effort tonight.
    Please don’t blame the schedule, weather, or anything else. This was a classic case of overlooking a bottom-feeder team, and getting one’s butt kicked in every area. From coaching, to goaltending, to Letang seemingly on the ice for every Florida goal.

Best to put this one in the rear view mirror, then crash the car.

46. J Walter Weatherman says:

Kris Letang’s contract has undoubtedly been Shero’s biggest mistake. Sadly, most fans realized it immediately, and that idea has only been reinforced this season.

47. Barb says:

They already crashed the car. Just waiting for the tow truck to tow the mess away.

Barb!
    You driving the tow truck? ;)

49. hockeymonster says:

What was that?

50. Barb says:

Absolutely!

51. Barb says:

A nightmare. Good Lord what a total waste of a game.

52. hockeymonster says:

At least my tix were free. Got my money’s worth.

DK: Boom.

53. twentytwo22 says:

It wasn’t possible for the Penguins to have a 5 on 5 fight to start the game because they didn’t have 5 guys with fight in them tonight. There will be no articles in the paper tomorrow calling for fines or suspensions, and that made it a great hockey game.