Penguins, Olympics will dominate ‘Final Word’

subway-tfw

The joint venture between WPXI-TV and Trib Total Media continues Sunday night at 11:35 p.m. — right after the Channel 11 News — with the latest episode of The Subway Final Word.

>> Who’s on the panel: I’ll be joined by Josh Yohe, the Trib’s Penguins beat man, and Mark Madden, top-rated radio host of 105.9 the X. The host will be WPXI-TV’s Alby Oxenreiter.

>> What we’re talking about: Trading Kris Letang, Penguins in the Olympics, Super Bowl, Pitt hoops and more.

>> How to participate: Each week, we also take comments from viewers through 20-second videos you submit on The Final Word’s Facebook page, as well as comments to The Final World’s Twitter account

>> Where to watch: In addition to the broadcast on WPXI-TV, we have WPXI’s live online stream for Pittsburgh’s many out-of-town sports fans, as well as video podcasts available on both outlets’ Web sites.

Here’s last week’s full episode.

Really hope to have you along, not only watching but also joining in!

Comments

1. Tooty Stubeck says:

You might want to work this angle: About the Seattle Sherman thing… Everyone is now so shocked at something that many like me have noticed in almost any NFL game…DB’s instigating verbal judo after every play. This is one reason why I rarely watch any team but the steelers. Now the public has been exposed to HEARING IT for the first time. The NFL has turned into the NBA. Offenses look like PE class with no FB or TE.

2. bpn8pitt says:

And you might want to research a little more on Richard Sherman and how many other incidents there are if this guy running his mouth, acting like a classless jerk to media, opponents and the general public a like.

the only thing that stuns me more than him, is the fact people have condoned his actions…I wonder how those same people would feel if their kid made choking sign to an opposing team?

I like a lot of things about Sherman and dislike some things. You might want to research a little more too. I suggest the following videos on YouTube: Richard Sherman Student of the Game and From Compton to the NFL.

4. Well, you all have likely heard that the NFL will not fine Wes Welker for that ‘dirty’ hit that Coach Bill Belichick has been lately grouching about, and Welker has shrugged it off and said that he was never worried about being fined.

5. 19 DAYS UNTIL PITCHERS & CATCHERS REPORT TO PIRATE CITY IN BRADENTON FOR GLORIOUS SPRING TRAINING

Groat:

I was watching Grant Hill last night on the NBA Network. Excellent analyst ! Also, heard on the Score this week a discussion by Boers and Bernstein how they felt Hill would have been one of the all time NBA greats if not for all his injuries.

Hope you survive the Zoo!

Also, posting to see if I’ve solved my avatar issue with my phone.

Apparently not. Back to the drawing board.

8. Oshkosh b’Gosh,

Grant Hill was one guy who played hurt in that Piston playoff run, and it derailed a wonderful career.
    I believe in guys playing hurt . . . but that one was a career changing, NBA changing, choice.

And franchise changing: ask the Magic.

I give Hill credit for not allowing it to derail his life or his perspective.
    He’s the kind of guy who should be a hero to our kids.

Contemplating which ‘DUKE’ shirt to wear to the Pete on Monday.
    It has to be BOLD, but one I do not mind having things thrown on it!

I am so-o excited about this game. Pitt has to be the favorite at home . . .
    . . . . but . . . . GO DUKE!!!

9. Keith says:

After much thought, I think your handle should be Groat2Maz2Strangeglove2Ground2Strangeglove.

10. Dick Stuart aka Dr. Strangeglove spent a lot of time in his knees when ground balls were hit to him . . . .
    . . . . and it had nothing to do with God or praying.

The old 6—4—3-3-3-3 double play!

I am beginning to think Mr. Stuart would be an upgrade for the current 1B situation.

Oh, and I think your Dook shirt will be safe Monday night. I am not aware of many Pitt fans throwing things……. maybe you could wear an old Gminski throwback…….

12. Hopefully, Pitt can beat Maryland tonight at Maryland, since this likely won’t be the same Terrapins team that Pitt beat earlier at home by 20 points. Actually, the Pitt players have been saying that it’ll be all a matter of execution.:-)

13. I’ve sat in this section before for other Pitt games and some of the folks know me——so, you’re right, I probably will be safe.

However, Pitt doesn’t lose too often in the Pete, and if DUKE comes through like I hope, I need to be ready for anything!

Excellent little piece on ESPN last night with joint McCutch/Bettis interview abut Pittsburgh.
    Maybe somebody smart like JandyGirl can post it here.

You mean like that?? ;)

I couldn’t get there with that link. Try this:

That was my back-up link.

What error message did you get on the first link?
    Just curious…..

I’m on an iPad. First it said “invalid link,” then it said I had to download an app.

18. bpn8pitt says:

I will. I also will remind you of this the next time this guy disrespects someone. I’ll be eager to here the next excuse.

Ahhhh. Gotta make that $$$, I guess…..

20. You all won’t like to hear this, but postage stamps are going up by 3 cents tomorrow.

It doesn’t other me

That’s a different video, Jandy.
    But nice one also. :)

23. http://www.thepensblog.com/2014-archives/january/recap-game-51-penswin64.html

Being lazy this morning and stumbled onto this site. Good stuff. Dont think i ever saw it before but seems to be a good read.

24. The opening line in link above made me laugh…

This game was a bigger mess than your grandma’s underwear after she read 50 Shades of Grey.

You don’t need to remind me and what excuse did I make?

Is it possible to like some things in a person but not everything?

You seem to have a little “road rage” about Sherman, bpn. Did you have a personal encounter or are you aware of an encounter with someone close to you? It’s getting a little strange.

Good lord, are we still talking about Sherman ?

All the guy did was yell at a camera. Hardly think that requires a 2 week ad nauseam discussion about race and the decline of Western Civilization.

28. At least I can write to you all on this blog for free, which is indeed nice.

29. The Senior Bowl is on the NFL Network at 4:00PM today and so, if you can get it, you can all watch Pitt’s Aaron Donald do his stuff.

30. pattonbb says:

Put a Steeler jersey on Richard Sherman and he would instantly go from “classless” to just having “swagger”.

This is just Sherman’s “fifteen minutes of fame”

This too shall pass ;-)

32. Richard says:

I hope this is the last year the NHL sends its players to the Olympics.

34. bpn8pitt says:

Ike Taylor was a great CB. But he is neither a gentlemen or a scholar.

35. bpn8pitt says:

No, I’m just not in the “clique” here. I’ve noticed when someone takes a dissenting view of the “clique” the are usually shunned. Its fine. I’ll deal.

36. scapper says:

Well, glad to hear someone else feels this way. I hate it. I used to love watching Olympic hockey but no longer. The only reason they’re there is for bringing even more money to both entities. It’s hard to root for anyone anymore. Okay, I jumped out of my chair when Sid scored in Vancouver, but that was because I love that guy and I knew what it meant to him and Canada.

But otherwise…it’s more spectacle than sport to me.

Wowsa.

38. bpn8pitt says:

My points always been that its not just Crabtree. Harbaugh, Skip Bayless, Darelle Revis…guys always jawing at someone, something. There will be another incident.

I’d rather have my kid handle himself like Larry Fitzgerald or Russell Wilson.

I’m agitated because I got called a racist the other day, all for taking the opposite view.

I think its been pretty clear, on my opinions of both Sherman and Franklin, I’m not a big fan of trash talk. Humble in victory, gracious in defeat.

Agree 100% on Grant Hill, Groat. He was sort of like Bill Walton, in that you knew he was great but he was so often injured or not at 100% that you really didn’t get to find out just how great of a pro he would have been. He was a special player in college and in the pros.

192-22, to be exact, I believe. I only know that because I was in town for the Clemson game on Tuesday and they posted 191-22 on the scoreboard as the game began.

I think this story is way overblown. The guy got caught up in the moment and acted in a classless way for 10 minutes after that game. I believe he has attempted to explain himself as the week has gone on. As many have pointed out, if you really look closely at who he is and what he is about I find it hard to not admire the guy.

Doesn’t mean he wasn’t wrong for what he did. I chock it up to our old friend, sample size. There seems to be a much larger sample size of him doing good things than that unfortunate tirade.

Just my $.02.

Easily the silliest thing I’ve heard all week: Colin Cowherd, as a guest on Mike & Mike yesterday, actually said, “I think it really will be unfair to Peyton Manning if the Super Bowl is played in bad weather.”

Yep, he actually said that. I think Cowherd is a bloated, self-important windbag to begin with. But, this statement was ridiculous. I suppose if the weather is bad for the game, it will only affect one guy. I say if he can’t deal with any sort of weather conditions, that is his problem. Football is an outdoor in any sort of weather game. Can you imagine Roethlisberger being coddled like that?

In fairness to Peyton, he never said any such thing or lent it any credence that I know of. I’m sure he is fully prepared to play in any conditions, and will not utter any sort of excuse if the Broncos lose under less than ideal weather conditions.

43. Heck, Jim, he plays in Denver. You could start a game in the sixties and end it in a blizzard. He can adapt. No dome like in Indy. Cowherd needs to shut his pie hole.

44. bpn8pitt says:

Jim, my argument is, this isn’t the first time he’s acted this way…I guess for the majority of the blog and America, their first experience with Sherman was the postgame NFc championship. There has been similar incidents going back to when he was at Stanford.

I have no doubt he will probably do something like it again. Then maybe at least some on here will understand my point better. Oh well.

I got Duke tix, today. Looking forward to it

45. And now, Richard Sherman’s agent says that his client’s post game rants have increased his chances of getting lucrative future endorsements.

Cowherd needs to just go away.

47. bpn8pitt says:

I appreciate you using plural.

Exactly, Lucky. And I know he would agree.

That could be, bpn. I really am only going from the comments he made at the end of the game, and the aftermath. But, if he has a history of “going off” then it is time to grow up.

I was pretty impressed by his accomplishments in life as well, though.

50. In fact, Sherman’s agent: Jamie Fritz considers him more likeable. Meanwhile, I’ve been watching the Pitt/Maryland game on ESPN2 and it’s been a good one, with Pitt leading by 10 in the second half after a rough start during which it looked great briefly for Maryland.

51. Well, Pitt just won by 4! Not bad at all! And now, the Panthers face two toughies at home: Duke on Monday and Virginia on Superbowl Sunday.

52. Hopefully, the Penguins can beat the Sabres, whom they’re more familiar with, on Monday night since they couldn’t do much against the Dallas Stars last night with whom they’re not that familiar.