Penguins 5, Sabres 1

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (39-15-2) vs. Buffalo Sabres (15-32-8)

Time: 7:38 p.m.

Site: First Niagara Center, Buffalo, N.Y.

TV, radio: NBC Sports (national), TSN2 (Canada), RDS2 (Quebec), 105.9 The X

Here’s the official live summary.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Penguins page. Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe are on the scene.

Comments

So, Dejan found a Starbucks, as some kind soul walked a mile with him to show him where it is in Sochi. Talk about a lucky guy!

Here’s hoping the Pens don’t play down to their opponent tonight.
    Go Pens!

2. steelercrazy says:

The initial reports coming out of So Chi Minh City indicate our intrepid reporter might be in for a bumpy ride. The NHL still has time to pull its players from this crapfest.

JAL’s Letter Morning Links

Prospect Links: Gregory Polanco, Austin Meadows, ZiPS

6 Rumbunter

Looking at Pirates Predictions in 2014 Lindy’s Baseball Preview

7 Bucs Dugout

Mets sign Kyle Farnsworth

8 Saber Bucs

What Numbers Would Stephen Drew Post as a Pirate?

Fangraphs is Wrong about the Pirates Rotation

9 Green Weenie

Position Battles In Camp…

10 MLB-Pirates Site

Pipeline Perspectives: Bucs boast top duo of hurlers

11 Pirates 101

Who Will Be the Pittsburgh Pirates’ Most Improved Player in 2014

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

12 Fox News Latino

Big League Fingerprints Are All Over Caribbean Series Squads, Even In The Dugouts

13 Boston Herald

Risk assessment: Will post-37 David Ortiz more closely resemble Frank Thomas or Carlos Delgado?

14 Yahoo Sports

Chicago Cubs: Why Signing James McDonald Is the Best Move of the Entire Offseason

15 Slate

William Edward White, the first black player in major league history, lived his life as a white man.

16 Fangraphs

The Pirates Outfield

17 SB Nation

Freddie Freeman, Braves agree to 8-year, $135 million extension

18 Sports on Earth

Mint Condition

19 Baseball Prospectus

Pittsburgh Pirates Top 10 Prospects

20 Sweetspot

Braves bet big on Freddie Freeman’s future

Steelers Blogs

21 Behind the Steel Curtain

Let the legacies of this era’s great quarterbacks be established when their careers are over

I owe Peter King an apology

22 Steelers Depot

Leveon Bell Grades His Rookie Season a B+

Soccer(football)

23 Bloomberg Stats Insight

Transfer Spending: The Premier League’s lead across Europe

24 London Telegraph

Politics and personalities are likely to get in the way of a return to England arms for Chelsea captain John Terry

PENGUIN BLOGS and NHL Links

25 Pensburgh

Tuesday Pens Points: Pens Win Tight Game vs. Ottawa, Stamkos Returns

Song Letter by Nowhere Slow–Group from Scranton area

This late announcement from yesterday:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled forward Harry Zolnierczyk from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League (AHL), it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

also this:

• Winger Taylor Pyatt will not play in either of the Penguins’ final two games before the break, Bylsma said. Pyatt left Monday’s game after one shift because of a lower-body injury. “We should have more information on him probably returning to practice (after the Olympics),” Bylsma said.

• Defenseman Kris Letang will miss his fourth consecutive game Wednesday. Bylsma said Letang was not accompanying the team to Buffalo and provided no update on his health.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/5524451-74/games-penguins-bylsma#ixzz2sS1O7FZf
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

9. 7 DAYS UNTIL PITCHERS & CATCHERS REPORT TO THAT EARTHLY SLIVER OF HEAVEN AT PIRATE CITY IN BRADENTON FOR SPRING TRAINING

woop woop!

11. Sarah says:

So really. WTH is going on w Letang?

I wish I knew.

13. Brandie says:

Was on twitchy. Saw pictures of how rough it is in Sochi (which the tablet immediately corrected to Wichita). Poor Dejan.

14. DJ says:

It’s very hard listening to Ron Cook talk about hockey.

That’s all I’ve got for now.

But hey, he found his Starbucks, so it’s all good :)

I feel your pain.

17. Brandie says:

Heaving Bison’s! Full Steam Ahead!

18. You wish that the NHL and its players were more forthcoming with injuries and illnesses instead of being overly protective of the hockey players’ so-called masculinity and toughness.

19. Brandie says:

We all have to make sacrifices. :(

20. Brandie says:

Perhaps he caught pregnant? That would make it even more of a freak show than management’s handling of this situation.

21. Brandie says:

It’s all about appearances.

if he’s pregnant, he’ll never have to work another day in his life.

23. Brandie says:

And there’s your silver lining!

24. Shaun White of the UK has just withdrawn from slope style competition at Sochi after jamming his wrist on what many have complained is an unsafe course, so that should tell you about what crap at least some of the Sochi Olympics has been so far.

25. Brandie says:

He would have to work to get child support from the mother, whomever she may be.

26. Brandie says:

There were so many better places to have this spectacle.

27. If that’s the case, let’s sacrifice Drew.

(That ought to get him out of hiding).

;)

28. Here’s to the Pens winning no. 40 tonight, if possible.

Pregnant male? He’s make millions simply being preggers! lol

30. Brandie says:

You tell em’ Revvie!

hey hey Spunkster! Happy Hump Day woop woop!

32. Brandie says:

Enthusiastically seconded.

I’ll jump on that wagon…

34. Same to ya, only it’s “Midweek Bible Study Day” without the camel, Jandelita.

:D

35. Tell him to move to KY. It’s easier. There are more mothers that work here than fathers.

Evangelist-type exaggeration, but it seems that way. I have one word for it. “Sorry”.

36. Lad 9 says:

HUMP DAAAA-AAAYYYY. WOOP WOOP right back at you Jandy.

It is hard listening to Ron Cook talk about anything. It is one of the reasons I am very grateful that I have 29 other buttons on my car radio, because every one of them is a better choice when he opens his piehole.

Halleluia, Revvie ;)

LADDIE! Good to see ya friend :)

YIKES!

40. Brandie says:

LAAAAAAAAAAAÁDDDDDDDD NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEEEE!

You’re saying that DK is the lucky guy right? Because I’m not sure about the guy. :-)

Probably thinking ‘why is this American stopping to talk to all these buildings?’

42. Brandie says:

Don’t hurt yourself or else you will be out with the dreaded lower body injury.

I thought Matt Diaz retired in 2010.

45. Sarah, if you’re out there i just got around to replying to your interrogation yesterday :)

I’ll be careful ;)

47. Sarah says:

Hey HM -
    Yup saw your post! Thanks for that….I guess it’s one of those where we agree to disagree….especially on the subject of Orpik’s skating….

No worries!

Absolutely Dejan is the lucky one…poor other guy ;)

49. Needless to say i’m more worried about PM holding up on big ice than orpik.

50. At least Sidney isn’t bothered by the concededly deplorable housing in Sochi, with the brown water, the double toilets, and no doorknobs on some of the doors, since he says it’s pretty similar to Vancouver in 2010 when there was three to a room.

51. Have we confirmed reports that dejan procured starbucks coffee?

52. In Moscow, not Sochi yet.

53. Lad 9 says:

Nice to have a few minutes to pop in. With the job and my kid’s hoop schedule, life has been busy lately. But that is not a complaint. When he is done later this month I won’t know what to do with myself! It will be the end of kid athletics for me. :(

54. Lad 9 says:

BRANDIEEEEE!!! Hope all is well.

He probably isn’t going to like the double toilet deal.

56. Sarah says:

I guess so. I think he’ll do far better than Brooks….but not certain he was high on my list to make the team either!!

57. Ha…depends on how strong the coffee is.

And Dejan, be very careful when asking what the russian word for “shower” is. ;)

58. Brandie says:

You also throw the toilet paper away, no flushing of the paper allowed.

I’m staying away from this subject ;X

Those darned Russkies! ;-)

61. Brandie says:

Not sure why I make your name a yell. Things are looking up here. Great to see yinz!

62. As long as one is a bidet.

Do heaving bisons have silver linings??

Kinky!

65. Brandie says:

If you get the right plastic surgeon. :)

Something tells me if they heave, you did get the right plastic surgeon. ;)

67. Brandie says:

Thank goodness for cartoon physics!

Jessica Rabbit on line 1 for you…………

69. Actually, the shoddy conditions at Sochi are all too reminiscent of how it was in Russia under the Communists, when shoddy construction and corruption was also rife.

70. Brandie says:

When those things drop, we will be able to feel the earthquake here!

71. Brandie says:

Why do I see Cluster…..written all over this?

Zactly, Brandie!

Just WOW! I’m glad I’m not there, I’d be so nasty about it, they’d export me!

eerrr deport lol

75. Wild Bill says:

Okay, the #&*@^%!!!! snow is shoveled. What’d I miss? Some pregnant defensemen, some Russkie potties, and some more bisons.

Looks like Pitt and PSU are doing all right with their signing days so far.

76. Brandie says:

Something tells me Dejan’s cab rides will come “…through the courtesy of Fred’s two feet.”

77. That looks to have about covered it, Bill. The Pens are in town for me (I’m up around Buffalo), and the snow just keeps coming. I haven’t even bothered to try shoveling yet.

78. Brandie says:

Good to know that the signing days are going off without a hitch so far. Good day to you Bawdy Bill!

I wonder if I’m the only one enjoying seeing the media in inadequate accommodations! :-0

Oh I think there may be a person more or three who feel the same way lol

we got ice here, but the PennDot crews have the roads in good shape so far :)

I’ll give you my thoughts on Pitt’s recruiting class in 4 years.

83. Well, at least Pitt has signed that top cornerback recruit from Indiana, although you wish the Panthers could’ve signed that top quarterback instead of Vanderbilt. Anyhow, here’s to the Pitt basketball team hopefully beating the Miami Hurricanes tonight.

84. Dejan is pro Olympics so he may not be apt to find fault with Sochi despite what others have said about the place thus far.

85. tpbco says:

The kid that flipped was not Dan Marino…Bill Stull at best.

86. bpn8pitt says:

The recruiting rankings for that kid were as high as a 4 star and as low as a 2 star.

I dont understand people getting upset about losing a kid they just heard about.

The other QB, Adam Bertke, won three state titles in Ohio. More teams might have been in on him, had a not gotten hurt playing defense and missing 4 games this season.

87. tpbco says:

Aside from Chris James and Adonis Jennings, I would agree. Those two could see playing time as frosh.

Wonder if he will meet Rebecca Lowe

:-)

maybe at the double toilets? ;)

Doesn’t bother me but do wonder why we are making it more difficult to buy tobacco at the time we are making it easier to buy marijuana

“The SEC enters the day with seven teams ranked in the top 10 of RecruitingNation’s class rankings.”

- ESPN.com

They’re not going anywhere.

By the way. Welcome to Miami where it is a brisk 82.

Oh wait. Forget the welcome thing.
    I’m here, you’re probably not.

93. bpn8pitt says:

I have a hockey question. Forgive the ignorence.

Again, I do not understand hockey sometimes. Teams play a certain style for 3/4 of the year. The trade deadline rolls around. Much like baseball, teams are dumping salary and impending free agents, in some cases maybe more. But at that point, contending teams acquire 3-4 new players, change the chemistry of their team. Then they enter the playoffs. At that point, the game becomes very defensive. If a team like the Penguins, trades for an offensive player, a forward, like everyone is crowing about, all of a sudden that players impact is lessened by the defensive playoff style of hockey that will be played. Also, its seems as if the officiating changes to allow more obstruction. Especially late in the games, when some whistles are swallowed because no one once to make a call that would determine the outcome of the game.

Why? Why trade for offensive players when the game becomes about defense? Why change the chemistry of a team that has lead its division since the beginning of the year? Why does the league abrubtly change from promoting open hockey during the season to permitting such ugly hockey at times during the most important phase of a year?

If im running the Penguins, I think another blue line defenseman and defensive forward would be the way to go.

I much prefer marijuana (medical) than cigarettes. Cigarettes have NO benefits whatsoever.

Do you believe that the opposite also true? That those who are writing about the conditions are anti Olympics?

:thwap:

Medical is fine, but states making it easier for recreational use and that has no benefit and many of the same harms as tobacco.

Ask Gary Bettman.

99. Well-deserved twappin. See why I wanted to sacrifice him?

8-)

I guess my vision is colored by the fact that my mother suffered from emphysema for more than 8 years before she died. She was basically a prisoner in her own home, as she refused to go out with an oxygen cylinder. I’m not asking for pity, just saying what I saw and why I hate cigarettes.

I myself have never tried marijuana. So I really don’t know if it’s worse or not as bad as cigarettes.

I just know I hate cigarettes.

Indeed, Revvie!

Funny how even something in Russia devolves into a battle between the right and left in this country (based on the comments).
    The apparent “Russian” ones are pretty funny, though. The one guy (I think Comrade something) told someone who criticized Putin he would report him to the proper authorities. It was like something out of Rocky and Bullwinkle. :-)

103. Never pictured you as a grass blower, Jandy.

:P

LOL Spunkster, not this Nun ;)

105. kr70 says:

hope DK can find the Russian women’s curling team and do one of those Imovies he is famous for

That’s kind of a strange comment, James.

That’s par for the course, AW

108. Sarah says:

Hi bpn8pitt –
    Great post!

You’re spot-on that the game becomes more defensive and close/tight checking in the playoffs. Additionally the officiating allows for more obstruction, so the “skill” teams generally have a harder time, and the “hack/slash/grab” teams have more success. Unfortunately.

IMO the reason the Pens need better help for Crosby/Malkin on respective RW/LW is exactly because of the defensive tightening that occurs, as you noted. The success of for ex) Duper with Sid in regular season is erased completely in the last few playoffs (as with Geno’s LW du jour) precisely because those guys are not skilled enough to create On Their Own. The playoffs come around, teams collapse completely on Crosby or Malkin, dare their Ws to actually do something, and there is just not enough skill on wing to make teams pay for putting 2 (sometimes 3 even) guys on our stars. You see it happening more often now in regular season as the Beat Pens Blueprint becomes more obvious. (NJ was even triple-teaming Sid as he came through NZ a couple weeks back. Funny.) The patterns I see are : Sid tries to come with speed, whilst Malkin tends to dump the puck/then is forced to retrieve on his own. Sid needs someone to get into open space created by his own speed and then actually do something with the pass he dishes up (Duper, love the guy but he doesn’t have the hands) whilst Malkin more needs a puck retriever to get the dump and allow room for creation. None of this will occur in the playoffs with the current RW/LW config for Sid and Malkin. As we have seen repeatedly.

There’s myriad other reasons the Pens have issues in playoffs….failure of breakout schemes, out-coached, lack of toughness, the ease with which other teams seem to get inside our stars’ heads and the resulting discipline breakdown/bad decisions/stupd penalties….Bylsma’s mysterious refusal to create good matchups by actually “matching lines” when Home Team creates even more frustration, as Sid/Malkin are constantly forced to go up against Chara or whoever is the top shut-down pair on the opponents. Completely un-necessary, stupid, stubborn, and hurts the team. No other coach would do that.

The Pens have plenty of depth and skill on D, however they rarely play their best 6 D IMO. Engo is better on W than D, but if there’s any injuries, he’ll be getting 20+ minutes top 6, whilst better players such as Depres and Borts are super-glued to the press-box. That’s on Byslma also. His use (mis-use IMO) of personnel is mystifying, and we’ve been over that too last couple of playoffs…..

We’ve had more discussion re the effectiveness of Orpik and Letang…..there’s much disagreement as you may have noticed….I’m in the camp that would never have given Letang the contract and still hopes they deal him, though I doubt Shero has the fortitude to do that. I think his unpredictability/low IQ/poor turnovers de-stabilize the D as a whole. I believe they play more reliably on defense without him (18-3 without him I think?) , than with him, though admittedly there is less offensive threat (at times). With a team that has Crosby and Malkin, I’d trade that Letang-offensive-threat for D-stability every time, especially in playoffs. I think Orpik is (sadly) past his Sell-By date, much as I admire the guy and the great contributions he’s made to the team on and off the ice. I think there’s 6 D right now I’d play ahead of either of them, every night.

Having said all that – I’m in agreement another net-moving D and/or defensive forward would be a boon. But not before elite wingers for Sid and Geno. Sid’s playing with Glass for Cripe’s sake. It’s way past time.

I can understand that. I see them as similar in health problems. This is from the Univ. of Oregon

Findings so far show that regular use of marijuana or THC may play a role in some kinds of cancer and in problems with the respiratory and immune systems.

Cancer. It’s hard to know for sure whether regular marijuana use causes cancer. But it is known that marijuana contains some of the same, and sometimes even more, of the cancer-causing chemicals found in tobacco smoke. Studies show that someone who smokes five joints per day may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day.

Lungs and airways. People who smoke marijuana often develop the same kinds of breathing problems that cigarette smokers have: coughing and wheezing. They tend to have more chest colds than nonusers. They are also at greater risk of getting lung infections like pneumonia.

Immune system. Animal studies have found that THC can damage the cells and tissues in the body that help protect against disease. When the immune cells are weakened you are more likely to get sick.

110. Very good column, as our regular columnist is fighting for a stall in the local media hotel. You fill in admirably.

Like Milo says, does it come in audio book form?

;)

111. Five joints a day would describe why some people drive (or walk) the way they do here in KY.
    Probably more to do with meth here, though.

112. bpn8pitt says:

Thanks Sarah. That is fair, what you mentioned with some of the wingers, Sid and Geno have played with. Maybe some of that will improve when Neal gets going again and Bennet, Vitale other get healthy.

I also think the Penguins should try to make moves that match them up well with Boston and Chicago.

113. Damon says:

Very nice response Sarah!

114. I’m merely quoting from the commentators on Trib Live radio, to which I’ve listening for the past few hours.

Thanks for the info, Joe.
    In that case, we need to limit the marijuana to medical purposes.

This cancer causing stuff is nasty, and causes our health insurance costs to escalate.
    So does the other health issues…and I’m tired of my health insurance always going up!

116. Damon says:

Josh Yohe just tweeted:

Kunitz and Niskanen questionable tonight. Fleury to start.

I guess Engelland would move back to D to fill in

:sigh

Spunky, “they” tried to put a meth clinic in about 2 miles down the road from where I live.
    WOW. Our neighborhood rose up and got it shot down. I am thankful.

I can imagine some days it looks like a Zombie movie set there!

Need some red wine, 21

Really? Both Kunitz and Niskie?? WTH?

121. Damon says:

I wonder who would be on Sid’s wings….I’m sure he’d be fit to be tied playing with Gibbons and Megna. Or Glass and Gibbons…

122. pattonbb says:

Bama surprised everyone who pays attention to this stuff and signed the #1 rated LB in the country, Rashaan Evans. Evans lives in Auburn and seemed to be a lock for Malzahn. That’s the 3rd recruit to flip on Auburn.

123. Most days, my friend.

Actually, I think Sid likes Gibbons, despite his size. Gibbons is speedy and smart.

Whatever you do, SPunky, don’t ask for autographs ;)

Uh huh.

Can’t trade a guy with mysterious ailments because no one would want him. So, anyone that wants Tanger to stick with the Pens, you may get your wish.

He’s unflappable.

that’s one way to look at it ;)

130. Wild Bill says:

Question for the other hockey nuts: What do you think the Olympic break is doing to the trading season so far? Seems like little is happening league wide. Are the two related?

If he’s pregnant, that would certainly be mysterious.

I was listening to ESPN Radio in the car yesterday evening, and they were reporting that conditions were deplorable. So, if that is the case, you can be pro-Olympics all you want but I don’t think they should be held in a place that can’t/won’t accommodate them properly. No shower curtains in rooms, no light bulbs, etc, etc? That’s really basic stuff, isn’t it? They have forever to prepare for the little stuff like that. That tells you a venue is not prepared and/or does not have the resources to pull it off.

133. Ghost says:

Just popping in for a quickie.
    What I’ve learned today on the Blog:
    Letang is pregnant.
    Jandy is an export commodity.
    DK will be coming home with buckets of used TP (because he’s “pro Olympics” and wouldn’t insult his hosts).

I’m out. ;-)

Indeed it is related, Wild One. And Shero more than what you might think, as he likes to make his trades/moves in the week or so before the deadline. With all the Olympic activities, it puts a cramp in his plans.
    There’s also the injury factor that is messing things up for the Pens in particular. Not being sure if Bennett is going to be able to come back and be a factor is disconcerting to say the least.

Got in late today. Two reasons:

1) 6″ or more of snow here – again! Terrible commute!

2) Was at the Signing Day ceremony at my daughter’s school. She officially signed her NLI to play soccer in college next year.

This day has been a long time coming, since she verbally agreed after Soph year.

Be good, Ghostie ;)

Congrats to your daughter, you must be proud, Jim :D

We have about 3 – 4 additional inches of snow/ice mix today. This really is getting old fast.

Congrats!

that would be friggin WILD LOL

140. BillyBaduka says:

Only had access to one for a night in Waikiki. Never felt cleaner, more refreshed.

I remember Rocky and Bullwinkle, that tells you I’m over the hill ;)

142. Wild Bill says:

A great day for a parent, Jim. Congrats.

143. :D

I’ve only seen them on HGTV on House Hunters or Love It or List It.

Ladies don’t seem to like them.

It is also only right to add that DK has tweeted that his personal room accommodations have been A+.

;thwap:

Thanks, everyone! We are truly blessed. I married “up” is all I can say.

See? He’s lucky, like I said ^^ there :D

Which is more sacrificial worthy?

Weather Report or SEC Report?

149. pattonbb says:

Congratulations to you and your daughter, Jim. That’s great.

150. Uh oh. A twappin is almost as good as a bold reaming.

:o

151. Anything to do with the SEC.

Thanks, patton.

Yes you have.

(Was that mean? I so hate it when I’m mean.)

Not mean when it’s true!

155. Sarah says:

Sorry the length. I know, I know….

156. Sarah says:

Actually, I’m gonna suit up.

157. Sarah says:

I have hopes for Bennett! If he can stop being a potato chip LOL!
    Vitale, not so much.

Really think we need elite guys or guys that fit really well….Kane, Wheeler….Kulemin w Malkin, who loves playing with him in KHL.

But I believe with Shero and the CC atmosphere, that is all a pipe dream. !….

I’m pro College Football so I won’t write about the deplorable competitive conditions with many other conferences.

Go for it, Sistah!!!!

Vitale is what he is. A 4th line grinder. He has a ton of heart tho.

I’ll give Bennett another go before I give up on him too :)

No matter how well they did last year, I think Bama still reigns supreme in that state.

162. Just joshin ya. It was good.

Great insight, Sarah. Everyone may not agree totally with every point, but it would be hard to argue it was not well thought out.

164. Nate83 says:

Congrats Jim. You must be proud and I’m sure a lot of hard work was involved leading up to this moment for not only her but you and your wife as well.

Even Sarah wouldn’t start that rumor about Tanger.

Yes, he did. Someone named Sasha led him to it, I believe.

Thanks, Nate. Yeah, lots of hard work and sacrifices along the way – just like all families, in one form or another. But, it has been great fun and we have met most of our best friends through the teams/clubs where our kids have played.

The best thing about daughters playing sports, IMO, and I think a lot of people here can probably attest to it from their personal experiences, is they end up better students and more confident young women. Doesn’t even have to be sports, for that matter. Our younger daughter played some sports, but now found her niche in singing and acting. I can’t believe how much she changed for the better in the past year alone. They’re both great students, and, I think, great kids. I’m very blessed. My wife is the absolute best!

Now, the little guy … he seems to be stuck on baseball for some reason. :-)

Ron White likes them.

Yeah, and?
    lol

Whoops. I meant he likes bidets. He did a bit on them that was hilarious.

Something I can cheer about regarding soccer!
    Jim’s daughter gets a college scholarship from it.

:-)

Congrats Jim.

Congrats, Jim.

LOL! I was messin’ wit ya, AW ;)

175. Sarah says:

And y;know CHicago is a great model. Speed and skill across all four lines.
    That would be nice.

Chicago is awesome!

Thanks, TC and Arriba!

Yes, soccer is being good to me. :-)

178. bpn8pitt says:

Bookser and Grimm will play too. Elijah Zeise got a few offers too.

179. Naje says:

I’ll take this Weather Report any day:

180. Brandie says:

Awesome. Congratulations to your family. Maybe she is a future Olympian?

Soccer has been berry, berry good to you!
    Congrats……… for everything.
    Marrying up? You sly dog, you. ;)

182. scapper says:

Oh man, Ms. Jandster, you gotta give that stuff a try!

“they end up better students and more confident young women”

Amen. One of the things I like about team sports in high school and college Jim is that it teaches them to be accountable to each other. With school, you essentially only have to worry about yourself outside of an occasional group project.

184. scapper says:

I know what you mean, James. His initial tweets seemed almost desperately “See! See! It’s all fine! Toldja! Nothing wrong at all!” I trust him completely as a journalist, but I do wonder if we’ll get an accurate assessment of the condition of things. Hey, I hope every amenity he encounters is great, as that will let him focus on the columns I can’t wait to read.

185. Tell her to run the goalie for me once or twice…eh? :)

Congratulations

I’m glad they still give scholarships where she wanted to go.

Schools are cutting them, and that IMO is wrong

The Orioles are supposedly one of three final teams for Arroyo

That would take them out of the AJ hunt??

Thanks, plan.

Thanks, Brandie. I don’t think she’s quite that good.

It’s a B1G school, biz. So, fortunately, they are still funded pretty well.

Yes, it would.

When I saw that Freddie Freeman just signed a 8/$135M extension with Atlanta, I wondered what Cutch is thinking.

He’s thinking “I’m not going to be able to spend $51 mil” and “at least I’m not living in Atlanta.”

;-)

+++

If you’re interested Jim, I just read a pretty good article about the state of NCAA athletics, the cutting of programs, etc. Just google, “Runner’s World. Can Running Save the NCAA.”

We can hope. I think Cutch is pretty grounded, and he knows he is very lucky to be in the position he is in and making the money he is making. But, everyone has an ego. And, everyone has an agent.

Still congrats, well earned and well deserved.

Many years ago, my late wife and I coached youth soccer (don’t tell TC)

We taught em to stay in lanes, with basically traffic cones and worked on passing

We went undefeated

For anyone coaching little league, you can teach kids to catch flyballs by using tennis balls and a tennis racket, the balls don’t hurt and they will often pop out of of the glove if you don’t use two hands and squeeze.

Wish someone would have used that with Marte ;-)

An additional question would be: “I wonder what Pedro is thinking about the Freeman deal” ?

I’d say, you give him some more guaranteed money and tack 3 or 4 more FA years onto the contract.

Maybe not right now, but in a year or two.

Rumor has it, the PBC might have some money now ;-)

I’ll do that, 21. I have a sister who has a daughter that runs CC as a sophomore at Bucknell. Her son signed his Letter of Intent to run there next year as well. They got pretty good deals.

My brother’s son graduated from Davidson a couple of years ago, and ran for them. He was Captain by Senior year.

None of my kids run track or CC because other sports always get in the way from a timing standpoint.

Forgot, “option years”

Good advice, Biz. Thanks for the well wishes.

Pedro and Cole are gone once their time comes. But we knew that before the Freeman deal.

Boras has probably already called Pedro

She is more quickness and agility than intimidation or physical strength, monster. So, the goalies are always bigger than she is. I’ll ask for you, though.

Yeah, those guys were 1st rounders. So, they can afford to wait for gigantic money. Boras always wants his guys to wait for gigantic money. They would literally have to fire him to sign an extension with the Bucs.

Now, Marte and Polanco, down the road, might be different. They don’t have crazy money yet.

FWIW, Freeman’s deal bought out five(!!!) free agent years while Cutch only gave the Pirates two. That is where the major difference in money is coming from.

They only have money when the question is, “Mr. Coonelly, did you sign a bad local TV deal?”

If the question is, “Why is the payroll not already in the $90 million range,” then they don’t have much money.

I know, but I bet Cutch would have tacked on 3 more years and $85 million.

Yup

So that is why you sweeten the pot in a year or so

Great point!

If Nutting is a smart business man

Slick Frank will be selling cheesesteaks in Philly

TV contract will be renegotiated by someone not related to the Cleveland Browns franchise

213. Ghost says:

Late to the conversation, but congratulations on this day for your daughter and your family! Incredibly cool!

Sorry, I think I’ve been subjected to too many “Bachelors”, “Bethenny”, “The Talk”, “Dr Phil” and so on shows

Is there baseball yet??

• • Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation

Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*, Lake Havasu City
    • Argentina, Buenos Aries
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay, Gold Coast, Geelong, Sydney
    Brazil – Vitoria, São Paulo
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank, West Hills, Encino
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    England – London
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera) and a*, St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, W Melbourne, Melbourne, St Johns, Wesley Chapel
    France – Strasbourg,
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton, Grayson, Newnan, Macon
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne, Ramstein*
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster, Jasper
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt, Maquoketa, Urbandale
    Ireland – Dublin
    • Israel – Ginot Shomron
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie, Sykesville, Columbia
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Mason, Battle Creek
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi, Ocean Springs
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha, Lincoln
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair, Monmouth Beach
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Lewistown
    Nevada, Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point, Winston Salem
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton, Northwood, Middletown, Dayton, Cambridge, Martins Ferry
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE ,,
    Oregon – Roseburg, Eugene
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradford Woods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Philipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove, Dormont, Scott Township, Blawnox, Arnold, Ligonier, Wells Tannery, Swoyersville, St Mary’s, Titusville, Shippingsburg, Sharpsville, Brookville, Mountain Top, Mt Joy, Bloomsburg, Portage, Carnegie, Homer City, Allepo Township
    The Philippines
    Rhode Island
    Serbia – Subotica
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston, North Charleston
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park, Pleasanton
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Uzbekistan
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke, Vienna, Alexandria, Lynchburg
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg, Clarksburg, Grafton
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*
    447 confirmed locations represented in the blog, and a couple of strange places
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Fred Rogers
    Mario Lemieux, ditto to the Great One, he stays as an owner
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg/Swissvale
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Bleier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    All Servicemen and women that have been in battle, ever
    Sgt Doug Vitale
    Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan Band
    Barney Dreyfuss
    George Benson
    Phil Coyne
    • Tony Dorsett
    • Vince Lascheide
    • John Barbaro
    • Art McKennan
    • Steve Dirt Denardo*
    • K9***, Rocco
    First Responders***
    27 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Three planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Then there was that Cold day in Hell place
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure that out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s of any species, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    • 2/5/2014 5:39 PM

216. BillyBaduka says:

I don’t get this one. To me, if you can’t flush TP, that is something less than full plumbing. Air freshener sales must be good.

If Cutch keeps it up he may end up signing a $200 mil deal with the Angels. ;-)

218. DK posted his report for Channel 11 news on Twitwell out in front of the Pittsburgh restaurant. Neat piece. We need a Pittsburgh restaurant down here, but people here would probably think it was Pittsburg, Kansas.

I don’t think Primanti’s would go well in Kentuck, Reverend.
    It isn’t fried………

220. My family alone would keep it in business here, plansburgh.

:D

Now I am hungry for a pastrami and cheese with egg.

222. Pucknutz says:

LETS GO PENS !!!!

SCRIE !

And lets hope the boys from Bison are the ones heaving !
    (well….. its ok if some other thing are heaving also…. ) :)

223. Purple Moose says:

So who is playing RW with Crosby tonight?

I vote for Peter Lee, he has good straight ahead speed from what I remember

224. Double++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just saw a picture of the “crowd” in Buffalo.
    I think that the players should go up into the stands and introduce themselves. No need for the PA announcer to say anything.

226. scapper says:

That’s great!

It’s another battle of the half-cross-eyed goalies.

Must have been a really late arriving crowd in Buffalo.
    Stands are respectfully full now.

1-0 bad guys.

Rofl!

229. DJ says:

Not to pile on, but Orpik’s run with the Pens ends this season. If not sooner.

Zero reaction on that goal.

230. Purple Moose says:

Agreed. If he plays in the Olympics, USA is in deep trouble with him on that big ice. Hard to believe his is one of the 8 best dman in the country when his isn’t one of the 6 best on this team.

231. Pucknutz says:

Nice to see Engo gettin a bit gritty w/Ott after the hit on Z

This gratuitous worthless fight brought to you by the Neanderthal hockey Booster Club…………….. ;)

233. DJ says:

It’s as if there are a few synapses not firing on him.

He’s lethargic-looking and I ‘m wondering about the toll from the head shots — including Thornton’s.

Gotta give him credit for having the cajones to do it

HARRY Z !

Harry Z !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great effort!

And Harry Z gets his own revenge!

Genover

239. Purple Moose says:

Z has done more in his few games than Kobasew and Ebbitt have done combined all year.

truth

+++++

242. Purple Moose says:

Still trying to figure out what Kobasew does well. Not very big, not particularly fast, doesn’t have a great shot, isn’t a playmaker, doesn’t hit much but other than that……

243. Wild Bill says:

There’s a considerable goon factor to this game. As long as the score is close, it shouldn’t get too bad.

244. hockeymonster says:

For a sec I thought u were talking about PM.

Kobasew had a great preseason. 3 goals I believe…then…nothing…

Buffalo has no skill, so they goon it up.
    They have really fallen apart since Ruff left.

But, Pens playing down to the opposition’s level, so the game is unnecessarily close…….

:thwap:

248. DJ says:

I tolerate Ron Cook on everything other than hockey.

It reminds me of Myron Cope’s radio show in the early 1990s, when the Pens were all the rage, and callers would want to discuss the Pens. Myron would try to keep the conversation going, but he had no clue on the subject matter.

Cook is not in that category, but some of things that come out of his mouth in Pens season rocket me back to Myron’s show.

249. Eric Bowser says:

* DK’s Sochi Report for Channel 11 (NBC-WPXI) and Trib just cracked me up.

* Brooks Oprik… he was already having a down year and since the sucker punch, he’s been nowhere near a top four defensemen. It is really unfortunate about Team USA as I don’t think he’s going to show well based on prior experience.

* Rob Scuderi and Paul Martin, need to be better.

* Harry Zolnierczyk > Chuck Kobasew…. time to send Chuckie to the minors/waivers, I’ve seen enough.

* Dirty play by Ott on Harry Z to lift and target the head.

* Stupid, pointless fight by Engelland

SID!!!!!

251. Wild Bill says:

Sid isn’t scoring, eh?

252. Eric Bowser says:

Ha, Pens get lucky on Buffalo SH chance and then Crosby just does his thing against Miller.

Real nice snipe shot

I missed the goal, because I am watching Pitt take basketball back to the late 1800′s again……………….

254. Wild Bill says:

Can’t get Pitt where I am, Plan. What’s happening?

255. Eric Bowser says:

Pens are doing a much better job in second period with puck support in D zone and transition up the ice to cycle around Miller.

256. scapper says:

Excellent video post from Sochi is right. That guy is my new favorite bartender.

257. Wild Bill says:

Zactly!

Winning 44-42 with a minute to go,
    But the game is horrible by both teams. It is a game similar to Sunday’s game. Horrible.

259. Brandie says:

I do not understand why this game is still close after 2 periods. Good to see the Pens on top anyhow.

BISON AWAY!

260. Wild Bill says:

Borts is not a finished product.

261. Eric Bowser says:

Big time save by Fleury

All these missed chances better not come back to bite us in the butt

263. Wild Bill says:

Genooooo!

MALKIN!
    SCIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEAVE THE BISONS !!!!!!!!!! ;)

Just beautiful

266. Eric Bowser says:

What a beauty by Malkin…. power, size, speed, hands…. WOW

Oh My!

and….patience…

269. Brandie says:

Sounds as if this team is lacking in the follow through department.

SCIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

271. Wild Bill says:

Useless goon factor moment.

272. Brandie says:

Good way to prepare to send us fans into the Olympic break…always leave em’ wanting more.

273. Brandie says:

Heave them where Planster?

Neither Miller or Quick looking good in goal for the US team.
    Just a thought………

But I have 1000% faith in the Duck to do the right thing………

275. Wild Bill says:

Buffalo is a league embarrassment.

I think Miller will be fine. He’s playing behind a bunch of goons more interested in intimidation than defense.

277. Brandie says:

Donald or Daffy?

They’re certainly giving Philly a run for most goons on a team

Miller has too many meltdowns.

Howard.

281. Brandie says:

That is saying a lot from a league that still allows John Tortorella to be employed within its ranks.

true!

283. Wild Bill says:

I see Pitt won. A spendable “w” on the road.

I miss Torts in the East. ;)

285. Brandie says:

Mix the hyper active spinning of the Tasmanians Devil, the ornery nature if Yosemitie Sam, and the intelligence of Homer Simpson and you have John Tortorella.

286. Good to see Pitt finally come back against the Miami Hurricanes and win by 4 points. After all. the Panthers had lost 2 straight and hadn’t played that great as they did so.

I blinked, and Gibbons scored!

4-1good guys.

288. Wild Bill says:

A hobbit snapper!

Jimmy Howard anyone ?

290. Eric Bowser says:

Who scores from that spot at RW…. Gibbons with nice goal but that was weak by Miller.

4-1 Pens.

291. Barb says:

Right now I don’t have much faith in Miller in the Olympics. Of course, Pgh or should I say Sid has his number.

292. Brandie says:

Astute take oh Bodacious One!

Now a list of all the big games Ryan Miller has ever won.

Gee, that was easy.

294. Brandie says:

Can we keep Gibbons? He just keeps on surprising.

295. Wild Bill says:

Another snapper by the real deal!

296. Barb says:

Geno showing who is boss and getting ready for the Olympics.

NEAL SCIRES!

AND, BRANDIE’S BISONS ARE A-HEAVIN’ !!

:D

298. Wild Bill says:

What an image…

299. Barb says:

Thankyouverymuch Brandecita. The bisons are heaving tonight. :)

300. Wild Bill says:

“Rivalry Wednesday” indeed. A hammer vs. nail rivalry.

301. Brandie says:

I am not sure my bison’s were aware they were a-heavin’!

302. Wild Bill says:

They have a mind of their own?

303. And it looks like the Pens have their game well in hand against Buffalo at home, just as it should be.

304. Brandie says:

Better get out the Platted 36 hour Cross Your Heart and Dot Your I’s Foundation Garment! Otherwise, ooh my achin’ bison!

305. Brandie says:

Platted=Playtex

306. Wild Bill says:

Mine don’t.

307. Brandie says:

That’s too bad.

Pens shrugged off the malaise of the 1st 35 minutes of this game, and Heave the Bisons into Lake Erie.

Next up, Friday against the Rangers, then immediately to Sochi.

309. Wild Bill says:

As I think about it, mine don’t heave, either.

310. Brandie says:

So Plan,

When the Pens win, will the victory chant be…

HEAVE THE HEFTY BISON!

See what I started?

You are a nut! :D

Do we heave them with Platted things? ;)

313. And now, the Pens will be playing their last game before the Olympic break versus the Rangers, and then, it’s off to Sochi to compete in the most fortified Olympics in history. May God be with them for the next three weeks after Friday night’s game.

314. Brandie says:

Dejan Kovacevic’s Blog…

Where typos live on in infamy!!!!!!!!!

315. Brandie says:

Yes…with the Playtex 36 hour sling shots. :)

316. Brandie says:

I am going to sleep now before I type something else that is sure to get me banned or committed. I would not want to have to sneak back onto the blog like Bobby Valentine when he got tossed from the Mets game some years back.

317. DJ says:

Nice game by Gibbons. Jandy commented above that he’s smart in addition to being speedy. I agree.

He makes the small plays, hustles his rear-end off, has a knack for making the pass to open ice where the puck is picked up in stride by a teammate and he mostly puts the puck on net when he gets his chances. Great one-timer off the face-off tonight.

It looks like that line is just starting to click so it’s a shame the break is almost here. I’d like to see how that line develops when they’re back from Sochi.