Art Rooney II: Let’s have a Super Bowl

SOCHI, Russia — One down side to being on the other side of the planet and lacking reliable phone service is that you can miss a call or two or 10.

Just before leaving, I wrote a Feb. 2 column challenging the Steelers and the Rooney family in particular to step up and bid for a Super Bowl, now that we’ve seen it work in New Jersey. It’s the second such piece I’ve written in the past couple years.

Art Rooney II, the Steelers’ chairman, tried to reach me as I was traveling and couldn’t, so he put his thoughts into this email. Out of respect to him and because I’ve already said my piece, the final word is his.

What follows is Rooney’s full email:

I think it would be a tremendous opportunity for the entire Pittsburgh region to bid for a Super Bowl at some point in the future. We already have many of the assets in place to host a Super Bowl in our area. For instance, the Convention Center is an outstanding venue and a necessity to host this type of event. Other facilities in the city such as Stage AE, Consol Energy Center, Market Square and many of the theaters in the Cultural District would be tremendous to host different parties and events throughout a Super Bowl week.

We are going to explore with the various community leaders, both in the public and private sectors, in the region to gauge if there is an appetite for putting together the commitment of time and resources that would be required to submit a bid that would be competitive with other cities.

Indianapolis, as a community, has done a great job organizing and planning to have the resources and assets to be able to successfully host major events, including the Super Bowl. The model Indianapolis has in place would be a perfect model for Pittsburgh leaders to study in advance of potentially bidding for a future Super Bowl.

Comments

1. Nate83 says:

Thanks for sharing. It’s seems to be a very fair and honest response by Mr. Rooney. I really wouldn’t expect anything else. Interesting he acknowledged it was the stadium more then anything else holding the process up. It’s really not that surprising. I would think most are not under the illusion that Heinz field is one of the best stadiums in football.

Not to be cynical, but the Steelers want to update/expand the Stadium, Super Bowl or not. And get lots of money from the Authority to do it. So “blaming” it on that as a road block contains at least some self-interest,

Good. Maybe they’ll do what they shoulda done when they built Heinz Field and create a destination venue. Like most of the other new stadiums. But not Heinz Field.

I’m ambivalent about northern, open air Super Bowls. But for the good of the cause, I’ll sit on it. But only as it relates to Pittsburgh.

Not that I’m a homer.

Well. Maybe a little bit.

PS…never happen. But a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what are Big & Tall shirts for.

Wait. That’s not right.

I think I was just about to be even more cynical. I think he’s just putting the heat on the SEA. And the trial was just delayed.

5. bpn8pitt says:

” Heinz Field is a great football stadium, but it will need to be expanded and brought up to the first-class standards at the time of making a bid. ”

Key phrase I hope no one reading this email, overlooks.

Financially, the city of Pittsburgh and its Sports authority doesnt have the money to put 3,000 seats into Heinz field. It currently does not have the money to pay its own police force, properly in this veteran’s opinion. Security alone at the Super Bowl would consume most of the Pittsburgh Police Department. That is fact, not an exaggeration.

“Upgrade the stadium so we can compete for a Super Bowl”. Sounds like ” Build us a ballpark so we can compete financially.”

Logistics are nearly impossible. Financially it is impossible.

Maybe I’ll forge an email to Dejan on behalf of Bob Nutting.

It will be brief.

Two words.

I’m sure it will receive the same respectful treatment.

I was being polite. ;-)

Bingo! This is mostly about renovating the stadium on someone else’s dime, IMO. I don’t think he even wants a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh. He never seemed that interested before. Now that it seems to suit his purposes, suddenly it makes all the sense in the world.

Your post seems to not be exactly objective, either. And it’s not just Pittsburgh’s sports authority, it’s the County’s. The police would get beaucoup overtime. Wonder what the Union thinks of it. Not saying its feasible, but you seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions.

10. mcpitt88 says:

Sign AJ???

11. mcpitt88 says:

NVM that’s my letter to BOB

12. bpn8pitt says:

Did the mayor just ask the governor to keep Pittsburgh on the “financially distressed” oversight list?

You’re using your heart on this, not your head.

Pointless coversation anyway. Theres a million reasons this wont happen.

Hoka Hey

I’m only asking questions. You’ve made up your mind. Who’s using their heart, or more specifically their emotions?
    I’m not advocating anything except an intelligent review of facts and positions.

You need to hang around me.

FIRE Kovacevic!

17. bpn8pitt says:

Whatever man.

“Hey lets have a Super Bowl!” “We need to spend 100 million to upgrade Heinz Field and build more hotels!”

Meanwhile the schools, Port Authority, roads and Emergency Services can wait their turn a little while longer.

Ive lived in the city. I still have to go in there for work occasionally. My sister lives there now. Pittsburgh has a hell of lot things to fix and invest in before this nonsense.

I think you just made my point.

Which is first? MISL or the Super Bowl?

20. Stuart says:

Here’s an alternative; Bring the World Series to Pittsburgh.

Stuart

21. JoeyBats says:

Mr. Rooney:

Please ……..do not DUMP the cost of expansion of seating at HEINZ FIELD on the current season ticket holders via arbitrary price increases.

THAT is unfair. :-(

Originally, Heinz Field was supposed to hold 70,000 people. The Rooneys cut that down to 65,000, for 2 reasons 1) cost, and 2) create more demand for tickets.

Now they want to expand the stadium, when it will cost more than the original plans. All this SB talk is white noise. Do you really think GODell would put the SB in a city that is slashing public transportation to the bone? Hey Joe, I rerally want to go to that AFC party tonight. Ok John, but we have to leave by 9pm……. that’s when the last bus leaves.

23. bpn8pitt says:

Fine Wilver, Im bias. Better than clueless as to whats going on politically and financially in the city.

Did it ever occur to you thats probably why the Super Bowl was held in NY in the first place? Now “The Shield” gets to hold this carrot over every city. Upgrade your facilities and we’ll consider you. Never mind the August Wilson Center or the school we just closed. Cram more yinzers into Heinz Field!!!

Im done. Im sure Dejan’s going to come up with some good counterpoints, I just think we got a fix our roof before we put a big HD TV in our living room.

Post of the day +++++++++++++++++++++++

25. Praveen says:

The Rooneys dropped the ball on Heinz field. Yes, they have been great for Pittsburgh and that legacy can’t be undone. However, I have some concerns
    1) They didn’t want 70000 seats when demand was sky high ? But now that the stadium is sporting so many empty seats, they want 3000 more?
    2) Whose genius idea was to design a football stadium whose acoustics rarely force an opposing captain to go to a silent count? 30000 Seattle fans at the SB were louder than 65000 Steelers fans. You can say each Seattle fan is louder than a typical old jaded Pittsburgh resident who goes to Steelers games. But how many times have you see another team go to the silent count at Heinz?
    3) What are the Rooneys planning to do to make it easy for a PSL holder to unload tickets in a very convenient fashion if they cannot find takers among their own friends or able to resell at a satisfactory price in the secondary market? The Steelers should have a reselling tickets at the gate counter and as game time approaches, they can open up tickets for free donation to designated charities/military families/young promising student families to fill up the stadium. Having a loud full stadium is important.
    4) If indy can host a SB, so can Pittsburgh.

Praveen,
    All good points. Would you care to post your hometown so Bizrow can add it to the list of Dejan’s Lunatics’ Asylum? Welcome to the Loonie Bin :)

Absolutely correct, guys.

Rooney just used Dejan to stump for more public money.

I’m getting so sick of this family.

Considering this blog is already off on a (good) tangent, I’ll throw this out there:

PNC Park is 13 years old. I sure as hell hope Mr. Peduto is in office when Nutting goes to him in seven years claiming the stadium is in need of updates.

I hope in 7 years Peduto tells him “Go use some of he many millions you are getting from you new local TV deal with Root Sports”.

Actually in 7 years Peduto may ask Nutting to save his request for another year or two and ask the next mayor.

Don’t get me started on public financing of stadiums, vs. money for schools and roads.

I have no sympathy for millionaires extorting money from the rest of the public.

31. Brandie says:

Looks like we hit a hot potato issue. Just the mere fact that the Rooneys had no interest in hosting a Super Bowl but are now using the opportunity to upgrade the Ketchup bottle’s facilities to draw interest at taxpayers and ticket holders expense makes the family and the whole enterprise seem as crooked as the day is long.

Stadiums do not bring revenue. Having a healthy employment climate and enterprising tax base does.

Good Afternoon, Mrs. Inter-Species Logic ! ;)

33. Brandie says:

Plan Baby…

I have run a few end arounds and have had a few run on me to know that putting Grey Poupon on a dung sandwich does not make it gourmet. :)

Stadiums don’t help to bring a healthy employment climate?

Well there’s already a capital improvements fund.

36. Brandie says:

Not in and of themselves if you do not have a healthy economy underlying the entire enterprise.

But it does make it more palatable…. ;)

38. Brandie says:

Only to the willfully ignorant.

Uhhhhh-Murrrica !! ;)

40. Brandie says:

I lived in the Burgh much of my life but have lived in rural central PA for many years. All of the things that are happening in the big cities are happening here in the land of milk and cows, wit the difference being there are not as many resources to handle these issues. Seeing as how the blob, whoops, blog is not really meant for politics, I shall get off of my soap box now.

41. Brandie says:

Uhhhh-Murrrica….

Plan / Drew shed his grace on thee…..

42. Brandie says:

Know that I kid because you all have been so kind to me.

Brandie, we were Berry, Berry guud to ewe……. ;)

Any post that incorporates milk, cows, and blobs is a winner in my book. :)

OH yes, all those minimum wage seasonal jobs have done wonders for Pittsburgh…

46. Brandie says:

Thanks Planica Patrick. Now let’s all join hands and then play our junkyard instruments to the tune of a song about lessons learner ala Fat Albert!

HEY! HEY! HEY!

I guess the dozens of businesses and the hundreds (maybe thousands) of people they employ that have popped up on the north side since the stadiums were built is merely a coincidence.

A little myopic, wouldn’t you say? The Steelers being here does bring lots of revenue, some measurable, some not.

(This is NOT saying anything about the “expansion”).

+++

That’s why I used the words “help to.”

But stadiums don’t bring revenue?

Hahahaha, right.

The Steelers are really keeping them open those eight days a year.

And all those people they employ to clean up after Kenny Chesney concerts.

:-)

And how much of that revenue stays local, Arriba?

I’ll just let you keep going because each one sounds more ridiculous than the one before.

55. Brandie says:

Not saying they don’t, but they are not a magic cure to economic ails.

While you’re at it maybe you can list for us which jobs are worthwhile and which ones aren’t.

So, you think Pittsburgh would be in the same shape or better if the Steelers weren’t here?

In answer to your question about how much of the revenue stays here, though, I don’t know. Do you?

Very little.

59. tpbco says:

You mean like State College?

Well, that’s definitive,

No please. Enlighten me.

And “lots of revenue” is straight off a balance sheet? Thanks!

Seriously though, think about it. Where is all that generated revenue going after it leaves the pockets of patrons?

haven’t there been multiple studies in multiple cities that building stadiums/arenas on the public dime is a horrible way to spend said dollars?

I seem to recall that.

Or, I could have mis-remembered it with all the Pirate 1B talk….

This is only talking about lost revenue, but it gives you an idea. Not to mention the amusement taxes that would be lost and would have to be made up elsewhere.

I also recall studies saying the opposite.

How do you envision the North Shore developing had the stadiums not been built?

NMR, are you suggesting the Rooney’s are pocketing profits or investing them out of the area?

Brandie, I was only responding to what you said above.

Well, this has successfully devolved into whether the stadiums should have been built in the first place.

Anyone want to talk about Detroit’s bullpen?

70. Brandie says:

I get it. Not here to make waves or offend.

Like an actual city instead of a sea of parking lots.

This isn’t the 80′s anymore. That property would be incredibly attractive to a mix of uses. Just like the riverfront property being developed in the Strip.

I’ll tell ya what should’ve never happened. A behemoth of a convention center and tax abatements to two downtown department stores that had no chance of succeeding from the get go.

Exactly. A handful of local bars and restaurants, and a ton of corporations located outside of the area. Money LEAVES the local economy in this type of economic structure, not retained.

Just like your local strip mall Walmart/McDonalds/Target.

74. Brandie says:

It was my impression that a lot of folks were ready to jump on the let’s build a stadium bandwagon to secure economic progress in many cities. I just think, in the case of Pittsburgh, maybe securing the police force from further corruption is a more pressing need at this point.

When I googled “are public stadiums a waste of tax dollars, many articles came up…….. such as :

…….. and many, many others.

When I googled “are sports stadiums a good use of tax dollars”, I got some links, but they all went to the bad use topic. I could find not a single link to the benefits of public dollars being a good use of said money.

But how much of that “attraction” is because of the sports teams? Yeah, I don’t know the answer, either. But I do think it is folly to totally discount it.

And I include the Strip in that.

With ya both there,

Anyone want to talk about the Olympics?

Me neither.

I watched them tear down that beautiful painting Judy Penzer created and felt sick to my stomach.

I can’t wait to see Yulia again.

So the stadiums are keeping more businesses from going over there?

It leaves? Where does it go? You mean when I go to my local Target and Walmart I’m sending my money elsewhere?

84. Hopefully sooner than later, the Steelers can return to Superbowl competition. And then, we can seriously talk about bringing that contest to Pittsburgh.

85. Brandie says:

My apologies for having a hand in that devolution Arreebz!

I’m not complaining, Brandie, just observing . . . And trying to find the humor in it. ;-)

I thought devolutionizing the blog was what we were good at?

Look at the Morning Java….. started Olympics, went to high school basketball. It’s an acquired trait…..

88. Brandie says:

Viva La Develucion!

89. cosmo says:

I know this is completely off topic but heard on the FAN this afternoon, a host from a Philly radio station
    say that the chances of AJ signing with the Phillies was about 70%.

90. Brandie says:

If Mr. Burnett wants tovsign elsewhere, let him go. The drama over will he or won’t he is giving me a migraine.

91. Not surprising in the least, all things considered.

Oh, just wait til Thursday, Brandie.

93. Brandie says:

When the reports come in that AJ crapped Skittles and blew purple Magic Pixy Stix glitter out of his nose? Just so tired of this…either crap or get off of the pot Tat-Man!

NMR
    I’m not sure when the last time you have been on the North Shore, but it is not a sea of parking lots. There are parking lots and garages, but hardly a sea.

I was there Saturday afternoon. Not many people around but I was still struck with all the buildings / restaurants / venues that there. Along with the trails along the river.

95. I think Milo hit it on the head. He ain’t comin’ back. But Taillon will be ready soon enough and other young arms.

I think he’s already of “the” pot, Brandelita.

Takes 2 to tangle. (You may quote me).

97. Brandie says:

And maybe on the pipe if he thinks the world will stop turning without him.

If it was Howard Eskin then the chances are 100% he doesn’t sign with the Phillies.

Are you suggesting AJ should put it in his pipe and smoke it?

100. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Two thoughts regarding the Super Bowl in Pittsburgh AND the proposed seating additions to Heinz Field:

1) I think Pittsburgh has got a pretty long ways to go to host an event like the Super Bowl.
    As a person that has traveled to many a Steeler game in the past 20 years, it lacks in both hotels and public transportation.
    I’m not saying these improvements can’t be made, but it would take some time.
    I also don’t believe Roger Goodell has any interest in playing further Super Bowls in cold weather places unless they either have a dome, or they are called New York City.

2) As far as what the Rooney’s are looking for (additions to Heinz Field), I say give it to them.
    The Pittsburgh Steelers have been a major force in putting Pittsburgh on the map world wide.
    Their presence in Pittsburgh is second to none in bringing people into Pittsburgh.
    Give them what they want and need to succeed…..

And we wondered why he liked Curling.

102. Brandie says:

Yes. I do respect him and what he has contributed…with that said…I am done with the whole thing. The AJ watch is just freaky.

I am over the front office and what they did or did not do, the drunken musings of Frank Coonelly, the best example of FUMU (F UP MOVE UP) I have ever seen, and AJ’s drama-rama.

By the way…that would be a good way to rescind the musings of someone that talks out of both sides of his/her mouth with echoes from the nether regions…Pulling A Coonelly…the verb being “You really Coonelleyed that one” for a deal gone bad that the booze keeps convincing you is great (see ROOT SPORTS TV DEAL).

103. Brandie says:

Is Curling a sport or a Euphemism?

God bless the Post.

Most of my family are curlers. Tradition to drink Scotch when event is over. Total partiers.

+++

YOu want mud with that?? ;)

depends on what you’re curling…

“Their (The Steelers) presence in Pittsburgh is second to none in bringing people into Pittsburgh.”

I’m almost afraid to ask but how exactly?

I love it. Was invited to an event at the rink on Neville Island by a friend. He went to Marquette, by the way. I think that’s where he picked it up. What a great time afterwards. The local authorities caught wind of the tournament & set up a DUI checkpoint across the Coraopolis Bridge.

111. Brandie says:

Curling will suck you in.

That’s Extreme Sport! ;)

Daq, agree on your first point. I know DK has linked articles saying Pittsburgh has enough Hotels/transportation, but I really don’t think you get a big event when the buses/T stop at 9:00.

To your second point about the Rooneys…… they cheaped out when Building Heinz. They could have had more seats, while still being able to expand in the future.

But, it’s a moot point.
    No SB’s for Pittsburgh.

DK: I didn’t ‘link articles.’ I did my own research, with the help of Visit Pittsburgh. There are absolutely enough hotel rooms, and Rooney said as much himself. If there aren’t enough close enough to Downtown, you bring boats on the river to make up the rest. The hotel space is a total non-issue.

21,
    Didn’t you see the picture of the guy holding the terrible towel…at the Sochi Olympics!!!!

Love that yinzer stuff.

World. Wide

I thought this blog was extreme sport?

And, how do we get the brooms between Brandie’s toes?

116. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Take away the Pittsburgh Steelers and see what that does to your economy.
    Thinking (or twisting) it otherwise is ridiculous.

How many jobs did it create?

**** Good story.

I noticed CNBC (Fred Roggin said the NBC stands for “Nothing But Curling”-love the guy) hired Wisconsin girl Trenni Kusnierek to do sideline reporting. I find it hilarious that NBC has a sideline reporter for Curling.

119. Brandie says:

That’s A Clown Question Bro. :)

No argument there but I still don’t understand the statement above that I was asking about.

Wasn’t Trenni the former Pirate chick?

Spoken like a true clown, sis. ;)

123. Daquido_Bazzini says:

This has got nothing to do with Terrible Towels and Yinzers (which has gotten to be the dumbest term this side of Mars).
    Spin it any way you want…..Pittsburgh takes a major, major dive without the Steelers.

Sure was, Plan.

Works in Boston now. She’s the one that doesn’t date Will Middlebrooks.

I get confused by all the former Pirate chicks…….. Lacey collins, trenni, the “Ice Swan” ” high-5″ chick… can’t remember her name.

You would think they would keep one around……… ;)

Oh, and Oshie………

read an article yesterday about the Bucks ans Sixers….. who now are at the bottom of the league. my NBA season may already be over…….

127. You all may have heard today that that Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, who the Yankees signed for $155 million, arrived in NYC in a chartered 787 that seats 200 with 7 total on board: himself, his family, and his poodle, announced he was happy to be a Yankee, and went on to training camp in Tampa, FL. Of course he can well afford it, and it was outrageously impressive enough to raise eyebrows, to say the least.

Met her a couple times. She did sidelines for a couple of our games that were on FSN. She was very nice. She went to Marquette also.

129. Brandie says:

Kind of takes the heart out of it when the Yucks and The Stinxers are vying for the worst teams in the land. That is why the NBA should be like soccer…have a high league and a low (not D) league for those constantly feeding on the tailpipe of suck.

130. pattonbb says:

So is the National Weather Service believable when they say I should expect “historic accumulations” from tomorrow’s winter storm? Or is that just one of those “this team will hit” predictions?

By the way, Mike Seidel from the weather channel was in my neighborhood earlier today. That can’t be good, right?

Saw the warnings on the WC, Patton. Looked like bad stuff heading your way. Hope your power stays on. Be safe, friend.

132. pattonbb says:

Thanks, John. Seems appropriate that we’d catch the latest “Winter Storm of the Century” on the day pitchers and catchers report. We’ll be fine.

133. JoeBucco says:

As long as the Pirates bring a World Series game to Pittsburgh, I could care less if the Super Bowl ever came. Sure it would be great economically for the city, but I was one of the many rooting for horrific weather conditions in New York just so they would learn their lesson and play the championship game in championship conditions.

Go Buccos.

Considering I live on the Northside, I think I’m familiar.

Lack of density – real density, the kind that sustains urban environments – is holding the North Shore back.

That is laughably wrong.

Ewwwww…I remember when we had close to 4′ back in ’92. I couldn’t get out of my driveway for a week. No power for most of that week. Ugh. praying for you, patton!

Yes, that is exactly what I’m saying. It is called the “local multiplier effect”.

In a nutshell, it means that when you and I spend money on local businesses, those businesses then can take that revenue, distribute it to workers who can also spend it locally as well as purchase products and services to run said business from other locals. The money you and I initially spent gets circulated multiple times locally.

When you and I spend that same money at a chain, the multiplier is severely decreased since once the employees are paid, the rest goes to corporate who is less likely to reinvest in local products.

Dejan, you REALLY need some Starbucks. I’m sure Roger didn’t mean that you didn’t do your own research. he meant that you DID, and you reported your results, and LINKED articles to back your up.

Here, have a hug :)

139. Dan Finnegan says:

Seems there would be the incentive the Steelers have been looking for to expand Heinz Field beyond it’s current capacity and the potential financial rewards for the city and the region would be the proper incentive for local gov’t leaders to make it happen.

140. Vinny Giardina says:

Jandy, how do you know all the new people? Do you memorize everyone’s name? :)

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle