Morning Java: Ladies’ turn

SOCHI, Russia — Доброе утро, Lunatiks …

>> The Tuesday column looks ahead to four imminent, important events in which the ladies could help rescue the U.S. Olympic effort.

Here are all nine videos for Channel 11 News so far, including yesterday’s, which was easily my favorite …

I’m also doing weekday reports for TribLIVE Radio, and here’s yesterday’s edition interviewing Paul Martin and Jussi Jokinen about the bigger ice killing scoring.

Here’s the Trib’s Olympics page.

Here’s the official Sochi 2014 page, with all the schedules and results.

Here’s the official U.S. Olympic team page.

Here’s the official NHL Olympics page.

And here’s NBC’s Olympics page with all the highlights.

>> The accommodations for the athletes have been so extraordinary that some have been moved to speak or tweet about it without prodding. Teemu Selanne, Finland’s hockey legend, told a group of us the other night these were ‘the best organized Olympics’ he’d seen.

Talking about beds per room?

Nope. Bikes, mostly.

The Finnish Olympic Federation, seeing in advance that the Athletes’ Village and venues were close and security-clean, thought to bring a bunch of blue bikes. And once all of their athletes began using them, Selanne and the Penguins’ Olli Maatta included, more bikes were brought for other nations. Some Americans have them now, too. That’s Patrick Kane over there to the right.

“It’s not what I expected at my first Olympics, with everything you hear,” Maatta said. “But it’s been a lot of fun, for sure.”

“It’s been 20 years,” Olli Jokinen said of how long it had been since he biked to a game, back in his native Kuopio, Finland. “My parents didn’t have a car, so I would ride my bicycle every time. Obviously, when it was minus-25, I took the bus.”

>> Back in that other hemisphere, Scott Boras tells the Trib’s Travis Sawchik that his client, Kendrys Morales, would be a fine fit for the Pirates.

In the interim, Andrew Lambo is spending a lot of time at first base, Morales’ position, in the early part of spring training. Here’s a video on that topic …

Here’s the Trib’s Pirates page.

>> This shooting slump is killing Pitt right now. Kevin Gorman reports.

In football, the Panthers’ Tom Savage and Devin Street hope to impress at the NFL combine. Jerry DiPaola reports.

Here’s the Trib’s Pitt page.

>> We have tons of great blogs at TribLIVE, all specializing in their respective sports. Encourage you strongly to check them out and bookmark.

Comments

1. Brandie says:

Good article on the women’s potential impact on the US medal count in the Olympics. I am especially impressed with the poise of Mikaela Shiffrin at 18 years old. Good luck to all of the athletes competing.

To 21′s the best…Yes sir…East Liberty and Sliberty are one in the same. I grew up near Broad street. My Dad grew up on Larimer and Joseph streets. He is a Westinghouse grad, my sister is a Peabody grad. I went to Liberty Elementary in Shadyside and spent a good amount of time hanging out in Stanton Heights, Highland Park, and Shady Side.

2. JoeyBats says:

Mr.Boras……Pedro Alvarez IS a fine fit for the Pirates……..HOPE that his interest and concern remains as high in the Pirates, when THOSE negotiations occur. ;-)

3. scapper says:

HAHAHAHA. Love it.

4. scapper says:

I don’t know…I haven’t talked to another person who has mentioned the medal count or the overall U.S. performance. Only people who seem to talk about it are media. I didn’t even know that the U.S. won so many medals in Vancouver until hearing about it so much over the past few days.

Scott Boras tells the masses that Morales would be a fine fit for the Bucs.

Keep in mind, Boras has 3 things that he lives for:

1) Scott Boras,
    2) Maximum money for his clients,
    3) Scott Boras.

I see no wisdom in signing a 1B that is really a DH in disguise, paying him an 8-figure contract, AND giving up a pick. No thanks.

Smoak would be an interesting option, but who knows how much would have to be given up in the trade. I don’t think that would work out too well either.

Nice article on the women “rescuing” the US Olympic effort.

Our fearless leader forgot to mention the US ice dancing Gold……… first ever.

And, while perusing the ESPN Olympic coverage, I saw the US is tied with Russia for the overall medal lead. Really don’t know how much “rescuing” is needed. Sure, 37 medals in Vancouver was great, but it isn’t like the US is in 26th place.

Someone get DK a bike so he can pedal to a StarYucks somewhere. He needs it really bad. ;)

7. Pucknutz says:

Ya, scapper, gotta agree w/ya. Have not heard one comment on the medal count.

“,,, help rescue the U.S. Olympic effort.” DK

Rescue from what?
    I and most of the people I know that have any interest are enjoying these games just fine. I have been mostly focused on the hockey but have been watching whatever happens to be on (except figure skating) and have been quite happy with it.
    Medals are just another boring stat.

8. scapper says:

Exactly. In fact, my favorite sport to watch during the winter games (now that those sweet Russian curlers are eliminated) is always cross-country skiing. Magnificent backdrop shots regardless of where the games are, athletes giving it up like Tour de France riders, and the inspiring human wreckage at every finish line. I never care what country the medalists are from. It’s sport at its best.

++++++

10. scapper says:

Man, is he ever going to enjoy that first sip of Starbucks upon disembarking at the Pittsburgh airp….oh wait.

JAL’s Brown Eyed Girl Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 BFFL’s 2014 Pirates Stats Spreadsheet

4 Pirates Prospects Spring Training Tracker

BLOGS and such

5—Pirates Prospects

First Pitch: Additional Proof that Andrew McCutchen is Awesome

Some #ElectricStuff From Charlie Morton to Charge Your Day (Video)

Stolmy Pimentel Looks Like a Favorite For the Opening Day Roster

6 Bucs Dugout

Scott Boras wants Pirates to sign Kendrys Morales

Dry Land to be released next month

7 Rumbunter

Pittsburgh Pirates: Only Move Left Is To Make A Trade

8 Green Weenie

2/16-17: Flying Dutchman, Negro League Stars, Nate McLouth…

9 WHYGAVS

Can the Pirates fix Edinson Volquez?

10 Saber Bucs

Volquez vs. Vargas, et al.

11 Pirates 101

A.J. Burnett Explains Decision to Leave, Reminisces Over Time with Pittsburgh Pirates

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

12 Bradenton Herald

Second time’s a charm for Pirates’ Taillon

13 Beaver County Times

Pirates Cumpton hopes to top impressive 2013

14 Pirates Site

Coonelly: Time for Pirates to build on success

15 SB Nation

Pedro Alvarez: The Jeff Goldblum of third base

16 Fangraphs

On Craig Kimbrel and Committing to a Closer

17 KDKA

Andrew Lambo: ‘Every Day I’m Racing To The Field’

18 St. Louis Post Gazette

Bird Bytes: It’s good to have plentiful starting pitching

19 Baseball Prospectus

The Week In Quotes

20 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Matt Garza bolsters a rotation that could be the Brewers’ strength

Steelers Blogs

21 Behind the Steel Curtain

Louis ‘Da Missile’ Delmas was the emotional leader for the Lions

The best rushing seasons in Steelers history

22 Steelers Depot

Antonio Brown Has Issues With the New Pro-Bowl Draft Format

Soccer(football)

23 Bloomberg Stats Insight

How do shots translate into points in the Premier League?

24 BBC Football

Man City better than Man Utd – Manuel Pellegrini

PENGUIN BLOGS and NHL Links

25 Pensburgh

Olympic talk: why stars aren’t shining…yet

14. Slovenia and fleury’s future back up gettin it done…

15. Heard some talk about how boring some of the hockey has been due to too much defense and what not. Well been thinking from a coaches perspective and if you’re playing the long game showing vanilla in the pre-lim’s makes sense so that you can release the hounds in the elimination games and catch some squads off guard. Anyone who jumps to conclusions after the pre-lim’s is missing the point….

16. Brandie says:

So it’s like playing possum eh Monster? Talk about employing some wily strategy.

17. BillyBaduka says:

18. Ovie finally moved to RW but now geno has mighty mouse(popov) playing his off wing on the LW. This coach has no feel for his squad. Poor poor geno…

19. Brandie says:

Nice selection of song JAL. I had a boyfriend in college who sang that song yo me. :)

20. Yup…atleast thats what i would do. We’ll see what happens in the next few games. I wouldn’t abandon defense 1st strategy if i’m norway or slovenia but if i’m the swiss i think i’d want my team to have their skating legs ready to play canada. And the slovaks wont pass up a chance to attack the czechs.

21. Brandie says:

Yo should be to.

22. Brandie says:

The mistakes of the Russian coach makes me appreciate Dan Bylsma and the job the staff has done with our Olympians. I am not quite ready to say “All hail the Disco Stretch” however.

23. Ha…ya the USA team was picked in a way where the lines kind of make themselves. Good balance of lefties and righties so disco’s job is just to organize the breakouts, dzone coverages and special teams. Everything else is kinda standard stuff. I was gonna post my lines and d-pairings but thought it was pointless cuz the lines are self explanatory for the most part. I’d be focused on creating more consistent cycles and possesion tho.

24. Brandie says:

One can never discount consistency and rhythym when assembling a team of individuals who never play together and who will only be together for a short amount of time. Hopefully coach Bylsma is learning some things he can apply to the Pens for the Playoffs run.

25. Brandie says:

And Russia draws first blood. 1-0.

26. Sarah says:

Ugh bad luck for NOR

27. Sarah says:

Hangin curve there Brandie lol…..

28. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Superagent Scott Boras tells the Trib’s Travis Sawchik that the new BMW i8 would be a perfect fit for his daughters’s sweet sixteen present.

29. Sarah says:

Russia’s coach is every other teams best friend.
    Ovie neutralizes Malkin better than any defense……he is just so friggin useless beyond his 1 skill, a good shot. The rest is ridiculous….

30. Brandie says:

So glad he is not a Penguin, the frustrations with Geno aside. Is it any wonder why the Capitals have zero cups with Ovie on board?

31. Sarah says:

None at all.

32. Brandie says:

Alexander Ovechkin…Cup Repellant!

33. Brandie says:

Kovalchuk scores. 2-0.

34. Clearly playing popov ahead of nichushkin makes all the sense in the world…..

35. Sarah says:

I think Russia’s through. Let’s see if they loosen up!

36. Another fortunate bounce.

37. Sarah says:

They showed a great clip of Bil being out there on Johnson’s last sec goal in 1980. Hilarious!

38. Sarah says:

Did it clip the D and bobble up before it caught the post?

39. Even Neal isn’t naive enough to fall for Boras’ spin. Right? Right? :(

40. Yup…he’s still asleep at the switch…

41. Cant say…but it bounced right to kovy’s forehand off the post.

42. I wonder if that video of Nick Leyva working with Lambo will bring Bob Hasis out of his winter hibernation. I guess the “Cuz” that Lambo is talking about is Leyva? Those guys should be encouraged not to use nicknames in interviews. Only DK is on a nickname basis with the players and coaches. We don’t know them here.

;)

Glad you liked it. There is theme to this week’s songs but it not obvious and has nothing to do with song title or the artist.

44. Brandie says:

This is what makes the snow tolerable.

45. Sarah says:

You wonder what’s going on behind the scenes. Malkin Dats are their best players….and it’s all OV, and KOv too cos he’s KHL now.
    When they were the Red army team at least it was all about winning back then.

46. Sarah says:

Hah! About 2-4 more this AM plus icy sleet!! At least it is warming up……

47. Brandie says:

You Tell ‘Em Revvie!

48. Brandie says:

It is like walking on granulated sugar out there.

49. What is the theme? Whatever it is, I’m enjoying it.

50. Yup. I think some of it comes down to the nhl guys being used to a win first and at all cost mentality. So when khl guys get appeased the nhl guys look around at each other in bewilderment.

51. Brandie says:

It is not about putting your best product out there, that’s for sure.

52. Sarah says:

We are completely out of salt in Pgh area…..I can’t find any either for my driveway…..maybe Thurs says my local hardware store……

53. Sarah says:

Gracious…..Norways G keepin em in it…..

54. :D

I believe Lambo recognizes this is his chance. Definitely his best shot yet and maybe ever. Seems to be working hard. That’s half the battle with these kids. Even the talented ones. I’m pullin’ for him for his own good and the success of the Bucs.

55. Brandie says:

Russians got away with ripping the stick out of an opposing players hands.

56. Sarah says:

Blatant!!!

57. Brandie says:

Where my parents are, they have a community saltnox not far from their house.

58. Wow thats what the soviets would say about bread and potatoes :)

59. Brandie says:

Looking for Lambo to make his own breaks through his hard work and efforts. I am not prepared to say the season is lost due to moves we wish were made but were not. I can understand why people get worried. We have a very passionate fan base that is invested in the team’s success.

60. Damon says:

Just got on and just started following the Russia-Norway game. How the frick is Norway only down 2-0 without Zuccarello? I figured the Russians would destroy this team and get momentum, but they look very ordinary. Maybe they are tight with Big Brother/Putin looking down on them?

61. Ruskies trying to prove that oil and water mix.

62. Brandie says:

Under threat of banishment.

63. Damon says:

Good one…probably sums it up.

64. Brandie says:

Geno looks tired and frustrated.

65. Where be dandy jandy?

Scott Boras tells the Trib’s Travis Sawchick that a lot more of the Pirates’ money in his pockets would be a good fit for him.

When Boras opens his mouth, I know he means the opposite of what he is saying. To me, as long as his lips are moving he’s lying.

68. Brandie says:

Not like her to go without contact.

It is a great song. I love the Van Morrison version, obviously (thank you, Coach Tomlin). But, I also like the Jimmy Buffet rendition.

My wife and I danced to it at our wedding. She has dark brown eyes, and mine are nowhere near that.

70. Ya…gonna have to ground her for a couple weeks.

I am pulling for him also, Lucky. I question whether he is ready for most of the 1b at bats this year, though. I actually think it might take him a couple of years to settle in as a pro. I think he’s a bit like GI Jones. But, I don’t think he should automatically be dismissed. It looked like a lightbulb may have gone on last year. He hit 33 HR, and that means there is talent.

Say what you want about Leyva as a Third Base coach, I think his value to the team from the beginning has been his teaching skills and knowledge of the game.

I received my weekly Redbox E-mail. It’s entitled, “More action than a curling game.”

74. Stuart says:

Still snowing here. Where will it all go when it starts to rain? No one is talking flood….yet.

Oh to be in Bradenton!

Stuart

Sincerely,
    Perry Hill

76. Stuart says:

The NBC TV guy did a piece with 20 or 30 SI swimsuit models. Talk about heaving Bison!

Stuart

77. Stuart says:

Ah TC the pain of remembrance!

Stuart

So much snow in IL I have officially run out of places to stack it. I now have walls on either side of my driveway, and they are about 8′ high. I’m so ready to be done with this crap.

Spring sports are going to stink here unless the weather turns warm very early.

79. Stuart says:

That’s what I said!

Stu

80. Final score: Russia 4, Norway 0, although Norway put up a good fight. Unfortunately, fog in Sochi has caused the delay of or postphonement of several outdoor

81. Final score: Russia 4, Norway 0, although Norway put up a good fight. Unfortunately, fog in Sochi has caused the delay of or postphonement of several outdoor events.

82. Damon says:

Another good article about Sid and Olympic hockey in general – at least some Canadians seem to get it…

83. Wild Bill says:

If it features the Russian women, AW, I’ll be over to watch.

84. Wild Bill says:

He thought it was a tough job, but somebody had to do it.

85. Wild Bill says:

Aw nuts, you said e-mail!

86. Wild Bill says:

That is a really good one, thanks, Mr. D.

87. Wild Bill says:

Having a similar problem here in Central Pa., Jim. We’re supposed to get a brief warm up the rest of the week.

88. Hope she isn’t stuck in the snow sommers. (somewhere in KY-speak)

I’m sure the Russian women will appear on YouTube. ;-)

NOTHING makes all this snow tolerable….grrrr!

At 4am I looked out at the new 4 – 5″ and said **** it, I’m going back to bed. And I did :)

That’s not QUITE what you said, Stu ;)

93. I knew you were intelligent. That proves it.

LOL! Thanks, Revvie :)

Damon, that is a GOLDEN link…Canada doesn’t appreciate Crosby if all they’re looking at is goals scored.

96. Brandie says:

Good to see you Jandy. I was concerned. :)

Oh and you’re welcome :)

Sorry, didn’t mean to worry anyone. I actually had a headache, so it felt good to go back to bed :)
    Glad I was missed!

99. Brandie says:

Thank you Damon. Good article.

Thanks, Jandy. It truly was sad for those of us who are curling enthusiasts when the host team Russian women were eliminated. I love all the great stories of the local team going for gold. That’s really my only interest. :-)

101. Oh and jandy you’re grounded for a week for missing curfew…bad jandy! :)

102. Damon says:

ooof….goodness…. Thanks Jandy! I’m awake now!

103. Ok i figured out the problem for geno and russia…they dont have their skating legs.

Oh I can tell, Jimster ;)

lol I’ll get off early for good behavior ;)

I thought that would help all you guys out lol

Remember the bygone days, when it was assumed that all women in Communist Russia looked a certain way? It was not a flattering image.

I think we now know those stereotypes were quite inaccurate. At least, things in modern day Russia are not anything like what I used to think in that regard.

I tried.

109. Sarah says:

Got enough sunshine today in Pgh I was able to chip the 3 inches of ice off my driveway (along w the 4 inches of snow and sleet on top of it!)

Got no salt. There’s none in the tri-state area, apparently…..

Same with us. We are supposed to hit 40 today, and the sun is out! Quite a contrast from yesterday. What a mess!

111. Sarah says:

Canada still boos Sidney in various towns, even after Vancouver.
    Morons.

112. Damon says:

Looks like Dejan’s cousin had a goal and an assist in today’s game today….

113. Brandie says:

The men are enjoying the curling eye candy thanks to Jandy.

114. Sarah says:

Y’know it occurs to me no matter what happens, first game back at Consol could be…..”awkward” ….
    US wins of course the place will go nuts….while Sid and Geno stand there….
    Canada wins, you hope Sid will get a huge cheer, as Martin Orpik Geno stand there…..
    RUS wins, you hope Geno gets a huge cheer, as Sid…..you get the idea!

Awkward!!!

115. Sarah says:

This week supposed to stay in the 40s…..not sure I recall what that is like!! should I open windows..? Wear a tank top???

116. Brandie says:

It is calf deep in my front yard.

That moment when…

get ready for a flood…build an ark?

classless. like Philly

120. Brandie says:

Like a sixth grade school dance.

It’s all about the skill and strategy they display.

122. Damon says:

I wonder how easy – or not easy – it is for these guys to turn off any resentment and get back to work. You’re right though, that first day and game back will be squirrelly….for a lot of the NHL teams really. Then again, in 2010 Orpik and Sid seemed to be OK….from this side of the locker room anyway.

When it hits 30, it feels like 50 after how cold it has been.

124. Sarah says:

HAH!! Yes perfect…..that….uurrgggh feeling….

I hope the crowd just gives ALL the Olympians a rafter-shaking cheer……

125. Damon says:

And form. Don’t forget the form.

126. Sarah says:

I have heard that the athletes take it so seriously that there is no ribbing at all….just respect all the way round.
    I can believe that. Sure hope it’s true!

indeed, guys…indeed.

128. Sarah says:

In Pgh with our rivers, definitely true. Flooding gonna be a huge issue if it gets warm fast.

129. Damon says:

With as competitive as they all are (especially Sid), I’m sure that has to be the case. If Sid would have cracked a joke to Brooks about his Silver medal, Brooks would have shot flames though his head.

130. Sarah says:

….or buried another snapshot in his jaw!….
    Kidding, kidding !…..

131. Sarah says:

So can SUI win another 1-0 decision??? Hiller’s been Like Wall thus far…..

132. Sarah says:

CZECH up 1 nil….

Yes, proper form is essential.

Czechs on fire

135. Sarah says:

….and I jinx Hiller!!! LAT up 1-0….. My bad, Jonas!!

136. Sarah says:

Rumor is Kunitz back w Sid……

137. Sarah says:

Make that 2-0, Oy. Can Swiss come back???

138. The Czechs are leading 2-0 in the first half and have also out shot the Slovaks 9-3.

There is so much snow here, it is stacked at each intersection, and its about 12 feet high. You can’t park on any street…….. the snow is piled up there too.

And as I type, another 6 inches has fallen.

I like snow, but this is beyond enough. Funny thing is, we probably will get 9 inches total next winter………..

140. Damon says:

Wow. Now’s time to see if the Swiss actually have a Plan B.

I guess the curlers “screwed up” Russia’s Olympics??? ;)

142. Brandie says:

Why It’s Plantation Shutters!

143. Wild Bill says:

When the Pens, their coach and their GM get back together, the coach and GM are likely to point out that no matter who won gold in Sochi, there is something still to be won that all of them would like to win at least as much – Lord Stanley’s brandy snifter.

That should calm hurt feelings and bring focus for those who are disappointed.

144. And now, it is the Czechs 3-0.

Does anyone know whatever came of Petr Sykora?

Yes I do.

He joined the curling team.

Muppet!

Just came back from my ice dancing.
    How are things out there?

I sure hope professionalism takes over and they immediately leave Sochi behind and focus on the task ahead … the one they all get paid for!

Bazinga!

No, they screwed up “our” Olympics.

151. Brandie says:

So freaking white. And for you?

Going out to help hubby….look out shovel, here I come ;)

153. Sarah says:

It’s a balmy 35 here in the city! Don’t know what to do with myself!!

154. And now, It’s raining outside like crazy in Sochi while the hockey is underway inside.

155. BillyBaduka says:

Lol

Always thought he was smart.

Purple. Very, very Purple. ;)

Good one, Jim.

158. Damon says:

4-0 Czechs, Swiss get one to make it 2-1

159. Sarah says:

Well I thought CZE would get through. Hoping for SUI, cos they have given CAN fits in the past….but they need to come back…..

Frankie named the opening day starter.

Really? I don’t get the point of telling us this on 2/18.

Really? I don’t see why not. I think he deserves it and not that it really matters, other teams have announced their opening starters.

CBS is adding Tony Gonzalez to their pregame show and canned Marino and Sharpe.

164. Damon says:

The intermission guys just brought up a great point about the Czechs….they have 6 players older than 35, and two older than 40. The fact the Slovaks made it 4-1 means they (Czechs) can’t rest players so easily as with a 4 goal lead. Lets hope the Slovaks make it close and wear the Czechs down – who then would have to play the US tomorrow.

Swiss have 20 minutes to get another goal….

165. It’s 4-1 Czechs at the end of the second half, and would you believe that two of the Czech hockey players are 42 years of age.

166. Damon says:

Jagr and Nedved….both former Pens….a looooong time ago….

167. Damon says:

Gonzalez is a very intelligent and well spoken guy – huge improvement over Sharpe. Not sure what Marino did wrong, but oh well.

168. Brandie says:

Really? Wonder how that went down with those two.

Greetings from your Sliberty transplant.

I am with you, Jim.
    This serves no purpose now, but I guess it is harmless.
    I am just glad AJ isn’t on the team…….. he would have been mad he wasn’t named the Opening Day starter…………

I m much more interested in how Searage is working with the pitchers, and how the 1B experiment/scholarship is going with Lambo. But what do I know?

170. Damon says:

You know, watching the first Olympic hockey game I thought it was awesome the refs were calling everything. Since then, they’ve done a 180….maybe even worse than the NHL now.

171. buggee says:

I absolutely LOVE that song. I sing it for Me Little Wifelett all the time. Even though her eyes are blue… Wait a minute…

172. Damon says:

Hossa gets 2nd goal, 4-2 Czechs. Slovaks have owned the 3rd period. Still 2-1 Latvia with about 10:00 left…

I know. They all seemed to look like Leonid Brezhnev.

174. Damon says:

Tomas Surovy scores to make it 4-3….Slovakia coming on…

175. Well there goes my bracket…slovaks didnt get wake up call till it was too late but i did get the score right for latvia/swiss game…even got the empty net part…just not the right winner :)

176. Sarah says:

…and looks like SUI is out!!! RATS!! Would have loved to see them torment CAN!!!

177. Sarah says:

Yah, Monster. Never thought LAT could come through. Helps CAN. Arggh!!!

178. Didnt see the game but they were probably stuck in neutral…ha…get it…neutral.

179. Sarah says:

Great points. Never knew CZE was that old. Hmmm. 2 over 40! They could play in my rec leagues LOL!

180. Ya bummer. Hope the other games compensate.

181. Sarah says:

Nedved had a killer wrist shot. Literally. I think he broke Hedberg’s collarbone once.

That HURTS, I can tell you.

182. It’s the US vs the Czechs in the quarterfinals tomorrow night since the Czechs held off the determined Slovaks 5-3.

183. Sarah says:

US vs Geritol Jags!!!!!!!!!!!!!

184. Sarah says:

….and CAN breathes a sigh of relief……to not face SUI…..

185. Sarah says:

OK PEEPs!!!!

PICKS FOR QUARTERs?????

186. Sarah says:

My popcorn match is RUS-FIN!!! How bout you???

187. USA over czechs 4-1
    Finns over russia 2-1
    Sweden over slovenia 5-1
    Canada over latvia 6-0

188. Sarah says:

I am picking US, SWE, CAN (rats!!! So mad SUI lost!!) and…….DUNNO!

RUS-FIN???

I am so hoping for FIN but I kind of think RUS may have loosened up just enough to get to the medal round. Let’s not forget that poor FIN is missing basically ALL their Cs….both Koivus, Flipula and Barkov. They MUST play D-first….will they have enough O to get it done??? I dunno.

Also, VERY conflicted between Geno and Ollie…..rats, I hate for either of them to lose…..

189. Damon says:

I’m sticking with Sweden-Russia, USA-Canada. Both will be incredible games….as will Russia-Finland…

190. Made my picks above but theres a note saying my comment is awaiting moderation so not sure if you see my picks.

Anyway, ya i picked finland just as a hope pick not cuz they should win. But it will be a battle.

191. Damon says:

I’d rather see Finland win too, but I have a feeling the Russians will make it to the gold medal round with two super close wins. I know they look dysfunctional now, but they did look awfully good against the US…

192. Sarah says:

Hey Monster!
    Agree with all, especially that CAN, so relieved! ….will blow out LAT. Rats!!!!!!!

I still think FIN-RUS “may” be a toss-up! SO MUCH pressure for Geno & Co yes??? Gotta be so tough…. But yeah I see FIN sneaking through!!.

I think Jags v US will be interesting! But can’t see US losing that…..

193. Brandie says:

Coulda went Jagitol on ya, but I think that is what Frank Coonelly takes to maintain his sparkling personality.

Hi Frank!

194. pattonbb says:

It’s pretty much a no-brainer. He’s the #1 guy, therefore he should be the opening day starter.

195. Kinda on rask to drive the ruskies nuts the way i see it. If he gets in their heads and they start to get too fancy or miss the net trying to be too fine then i can see the finns scoring on the counter.

196. Brandie says:

I do think Finland will give Russia all it can handle, but I still think Russia will come out on top. Agree with US SWE CAN.

Picks for quarters?

I pick 2 cups full of beer………….. ;)

Travis Snider slices his finger cutting sweet potatoes. It’s always something with this guy.

199. Brandie says:

Torn between wanting the win for the Umlaut Kid and wanting to see good things for the Soviet Salamis as well.

200. Brandie says:

Dripping with Clumsiness!

201. Brandie says:

I pegged you as more of a Pong guy myself.

At first I thought you were joking about this……. then I looked it up.

Not the goofiest injury, but just unreal in so many ways…..

203. pattonbb says:

Why can’t Tabata be a clumsy sweet potato slicer?

No, got “pinged” too many times…….. ;)

205. Brandie says:

Because he’d try to pull instead of slice.

BOOM !!

207. Cutting potatoes? What did he ever do to putin?

208. Brandie says:

Channeling my inner Meye-low.

Fins beat Russia.

How Shannon Sharpe kept his job for so long, I’ll never know.

I always thought Sterling Sharpe was better than Shannon.

We are in the final days of the Olympics.
    The Americans have “screwed it up”.

The medals race is killing me with suspense.
    NBA trade deadline Thursday……… can’t wait.
    Snider the Dud gets cut on a spud.

When do the RiverPuppies start their season????? :)

212. The US’s David Wise won the gold in the half pipe in skiing yesterday. And the Dutch lead with 19 medals and the US and the Russians are tied for second with 18 each.

I think it is fine to have him start. He’s the choice for me right now, too. But, there’s 6 weeks to go. Why not let them … you know … pitch a little bit is my thinking. Let’s see who’s healthy 3 weeks from now.

214. Brandie says:

Snider The Dud Gets Cut on a Spud?

Oh Crud!

215. Brandie says:

Greetings Jim-nastics!

216. Brandie, that doesn’t sound kinky to you? :)

He’ll figure out a way to get paid a major league salary all year, and still we won’t know if he is any good as next year starts.

Yuck, yuck!! I like it.

219. Brandie says:

Sounds like Plan was a pretty lucky fellow.

You guys crack me up…….

THE OLYMPICS ARE RUINED !!!!!!!! ;)

I guess sweet potatoes won’t be in the Lunchbox this year? ;)

223. bpn8pitt says:

Interns is what Marino did.

224. Brandie says:

Was not my idea to take it there but The Consol Smash left the door open for me to just step on through.

225. How’s slovenia doing?

Only in DK’s world……… ;)

Put out an APB for your Blog Mother, and the Reverend.
    I am out, going to enjoy the peace and quiet, and more snow.

Have fun, Slibberty. ;)

227. bpn8pitt says:

I agree with you that they should wait…but Liriano was 8-1 at home, with .174 avg against. I see the logic.

Well if Liriano isn’t healthy, he obviously won’t start.

229. I meant that as a shout out to the slovenian hockey team…

Well they aren’t going to name Morton the Opening Day starter.

If they named Garrett Cole the Opening Day starter would that be considered a “scholarship”

I thought the logical and obvious choice all along was Liriano. (even if AJ was still on the team)

231. Brandie says:

Is any one in need of a virtual assistant?

232. Stuart says:

That made my day after a solid day of snow removal. Thanks Jandy.

Stuart

233. Stuart says:

What is your skill-set?

Stuart

Now that would’ve been fun! AJ storms out of Clint’s office and threatens not to ride the bus to Tampa.

235. Brandie says:

Stuart…I come from a background of client services and counseling. I have been a client services manager. I have worked with Excel, know how to use email etc.

236. Just caught up on the slovenia/austria game and i promise you that slovenia has the swedes attention. I know that austria isnt much but they shutdown vanek, grabner and raffl like it was nothing and Kristan did the rest in the cage.

Talk about story of the olympics..how bout a country of 2M with 7 rinks…let me repeat…7 rinks beat slovakia like it was practice, more than held their own against russia till the 3rd, hanged with the US squad sans Kopitar and beat austria like they stole something.

I’ll be 2M and 1 for slovenia tomorrow.

237. Oh and dejan’s name sake on that squad isn’t bad at all…he’s actually quite good.

238. Stuart says:

You may want to try linked-in. Good place to list your abilities, and others can “endorse” you. A relative convinced me to get on it quite a while ago. I thought it was more social, but it turns out that it is mostly for networking, and job movement. A good place to keep your name “out there” for others to see, even when you are currently working.

The last time you changed jobs, I had guessed where you were going. I’ve kept it to myself, but still think if I am right, that it is a position with a lot of turnover. If I am right it is in another county from where you reside.

BTW my wife is a PSU grad in the social sciences. Many years ago we made a vow that if either of our kids so much as helped an old lady to cross the street, we’d wire a cement block to them and head for the nearest lake. I turned out that we didn’t have to worry. They both chose education in the sciences (NOT social). The youngest is finishing at Pitt in Chemistry.

ABTW, I’m in my fifth retirement, and if I decide to start on a sixth, it will be in some totally independent field.

Good luck Brandie, you’re too bright to be in a job you don’t love.

Stuart

239. Brandie says:

Thank you Stuart. Sometimes I really don’t feel too bright.

240. Stuart says:

Are you kidding? even your typos are classics. I give you “heaving bison”. LTS (Laugh to Self).

Time for supper, I’m out.
    Stu

Ahh Lloyd McClendon. Too bad the managing never quite matches the bravado.

242. If Milo checks in later, he’ll be excited to know Dana Eveland has signed a minor league contract with the Mets.

No wonder they stink.

243. Didn’t see that comment when I typed that one. Lloyd will probably be fired by the middle of 2015. He needs to get his licks in now.

That four pitch mix gets less interesting as the years go on. :)

+++

Yeah it’s on, but your joke fell flat.
    Try a bigger amplifier next time, or a better joke. ;)

Kevin Long? Is that the guy who used to be the Pirates’ hitting coach? ;-)

248. And now that the US’s Alex Diebold has won the bronze in snowboarding, the Dutch and the US are tied for medals with 20 each, and the Russians are third with 19.

249. flash says:

Ahhh, Brandie, you bring back many memories of good times in the Burgh. I lived the first 18 years of my life in Morningside, sandwiched right in between Stanton Heights and Highland Park. I went to high school at Central Catholic, and took the streetcar to get there for most of my 4 years there, with a change in Sliberty. I also hung out a lot in Shadyside & Walnut Street. Good times for sure.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back