Pirates 4, Phillies 1, exhibition

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies, exhibition

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: Bright House Field, Clearwater, Fla.

Radio: 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. And here’s our Bucco Blog with all the pitching matchups, lineups, etc. Rob Biertempfel and photographer Chris Horner are on the scene.

Comments

Pedro facing AJ. This could be interesting

2. pattonbb says:

Where did Pedro get hit?

3. JRay3 says:

Back toe on a curve ball.

4. JRay3 says:

Well the Pirates force AJ to throw 26 pitches in the opening frame, and Polanco ripped a double off of him and later scored.

Burnett out for a second inning of work, but the Pirates “B” team doing a nice job of making him work.

Got tickets yesterday to April 12 game in Milwaukee. Used to think about wearing a paper bag to those games. Not anymore!

It’s on, baby, a mere 4 weeks from tomorrow!

6. JRay3 says:

JohninOshKosh – I think I am going to be at that weekend series in Milwaukee April 11-13, trying to plan a work trip that way and just stay through the weekend.

If so, maybe we could meet up before the game.

7. JRay3 says:

Another solid showing by Stolmy Pimental who goes two scoreless this afternoon allowing just one hit. Could give Clint Hurdle an option if Volquez does not pan out in the 5th starter role and looking like a nice NH find.

That would be great!

9. pattonbb says:

April 12 is my b-day.

I’ll take a Bucco win with Cryin’ Ryan going 0-4 in lieu of presents.

10. JRay3 says:

And Dickerson rips a double to left center to bring in Pedro and the Buccos take a 2-0 early lead. Alvarez has looked very sharp early on in ST thus far, very good sign.

11. Keith says:

Basically, the Bucs have 26 players for a 25-man roster, with two sure June callups, plus a handful of borderline major leaguers. (No chance Stolmy doesn’t make the club. No chance.) When was the last time this happened? Mike Easler blocked in 1979? They will have to trade a reliever or more before April just not to lose guys. Cool!

I was listening to the game on the radio. Just realized it is being broadcast on the internet – MLB.TV.

Open Blog Fantasy Leagues –

Autodraft, head to head
    League ID 29145

PBC Inmates
    16 teams, currently 4 open
    Autodraft, head to head
    League ID 29147
    If we can get a league filled and folks choose to change the draft type to live or live auction, we can do it, trouble is scheduling a time where everyone can do it. Autodraft is you simply rank the players and when everyone has done that, the draft is held.

Any questions, please e-mail me at bisbee1203@verizon.net. Thanks, and Beat Em Bucs

Travis Snider looks thinner. It may not be drastic, but it is noticeable.

And he still is not tall.

When are you headed down there, TC ?

Can’t wait to hear about Edinson Volquez’ height. :)

Hey, last year my scouting reports included “Gregory Polanco is really tall”. I nailed that one! And it is still true. :-)

I’ll be down there in two and a half weeks. My first game will be a night game in Bradenton against the Orioles on the 20th

Listening to Matt Stairs and Jamie Moyer providing color- commentary today. It could be a long season for Philly radio listeners.

Agree on Moyer and Stairs.

To quote a famous blogger: Stink. (Especially Stairs).

For some reason I’ve seen parts of 3 Phillies ST games.

Ray Searage took a trip to the mound. With him was an interpreter for Taiwanese pitcher Yao-Hsun Yang,

The lefty doesn’t look too bad even though he hit two batters and walked in a run.

Nutting is paying for an interpreter?

Yang probably is.
    :-)

Viva!

Have I mentioned lately that Virginia clinched the ACC regular season title yesterday by defeating Syracuse 75-56?

23. Gregory Polanco——against lefty called 3rd strike and next time up tap in front of plate to catcher. Throw in a misjudged fly in center, and it shows that this “Filet Mignon” is not done cooking.

Leave him in AAA until he forces his way up and quit talking about the certainty that he will be up in June!

24. Duke still has a chance for 2nd place.

Just have to take Carolina to school in the Indoor Stadium while Syracuse loses another. Does Syracuse have any confidence left at all?

Congrats to UVA, ya’ll !!!

Thanks, Groat. Carolina is looking dangerous. Good luck to Duke.

Pitt looking at an extra Thursday game in its first ACC tournament as North Carolina holds the tie breaker for the fourth seed that gives a bye until Friday’s games. The Tar Heels have won an impressive 11 games in a row.

I would be remiss not to note that Virginia head coach Tony Bennett is a Green Bay, Wisconsin native, and son of legendary Wisconsinite, and former Badgers coach, Dick Bennett.

And it’s beyond insane to even consider bringing him up for opening day. I think they only have to wait something like 2 weeks to not burn a year off his free agency clock. Not talking Super 2, but free agency.

28. Well, the Pirates beat the Phillies and AJ pretty good today, so maybe AJ isn’t quite the pitcher the Phillies thought he might be, and maybe the Bucs won’t miss him as much as first feared.

+++

Nah, it’s ST. Guys like AJ it’s meaningless.

03/02/2014, Mr. Thompson.

Come on, he clearly has nothing left to prove in the minors. ;)

:-D

34. Laughed!

Who was that who said that a couple days ago? {shaking my head}

35. You guys will grasp at ANYTHING to justify screwing up the signing of AJ!

AJ gave up one hit. How’d Liriano do his only inning the other day? How’d Volquez do?

Dejan’s protege.

Groat, old buddy. You didn’t have my back on the other thread. I was the proverbial cheese out there.

+++

39. Oshkosh b’Gosh,

Belatedly saw you put up the good fight. I would have stood shoulder to shoulder with you.

Only one answer to the petulant complainers of Shero and Dan Bylsma——40-16-4. 1st Place in Eastern Conference.

There is nothing else yet up for grabs. What complain about signing Bylsma when he is fighting the battle at hand——40-16-4. That’s the only battle to fight right now. Ahead of Boston and all!

By the way, to all those same petulant complainers who called for Bylsma’s head for not playing Simon Depres . . . . . How did you feel about his two atrocious penalties in the 1st Period? He would have gotten the hook by the Coaching Staff if it were not an outdoor game and everybody needed to play to keep blood flowing.

40. Oh Yeah! Good description.

Hey guys, quit just toeing the company line. Sheesh! The courageous people know what’s what and aren’t afraid to say it. ;-)

42. bpn8pitt says:

Great place to see a game. Tailgating second to none.

43. bpn8pitt says:

I’ll miss AJ, Groat. But a team like the Pirates can’t spend 30 million on 37 yr old pitcher.

I’m hoping there is more to it, maybe another extension or investment elsewhere.

Can they spend $14.1 mil? That’s the real question.

45. Andrew says:

The way I understand it the Pirates have 3 bullpen spots for 4 guys, Morris, Mazzaro, Pimentel, and Gomez, all are out of options. I could be wrong, there might be some competition for 4th outfielder spot.

46. Andrew says:

I couldn’t not believe that statement, even Mike Trout had 500 PAs between AA/AAA.

47. Andrew says:

I could not*, great double negative

48. pattonbb says:

Apologist!

I like a debate as much as anyone but I will never understand the anti-Bylsma stuff at all. Coaches that bring championships are literally lionized in this state. Green Bay names major streets after such coaches (Holmgren included). Literally thousands mourned Al McGuire’ s death and he won his only title decades ago. Harvey Kuenn is one of the most beloved Brewers ever and all he did was win a league title. Not even a championship.

Here, Susan Wagner would be taking his measurements. There on Centre Avenue people want to run him out of town on a rail.

Don’t get it, I guess.

50. Obviously not.

Obviously.

51. bpn8pitt says:

Yea, cause AJ would have accepted it, right?

You wanted the draft pick? Means nothing in the short term, which you constantly rabble on about.

Can’t have it, both ways. Let it go.

++++

53. Well, amyhow, l’m recording today’s game from the MLB Network so I can see it for myself on Monday.

54. You have all likely heard by now that, for the umpteenth time anymore, Tiger had to bow out of the Honda Classic Tournament due to back spasms at the 13th hole today, and he’s not sure if he’ll be able to compete at the Doral next weekend or even Augusta.

Huh? That’s more ridiculous than using $30 million? Please! If they offered it and he turned it down, I’d have nothing to say, Dude. But it ain’t an excuse, which is what you’re doing.

And I don’t know who you think I am, but just looking at the short term isn’t it. My, my.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle