Flyers 4, Penguins 0

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (44-17-4) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (33-25-7)

Time: 1:08 p.m.

Site: Wells Fargo Center

TV, radio: Root Sports, Comcast Sports Network (Philadelphia), 105.9 The X

Here’s the official live summary.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Penguins page and our Chipped Ice blog. Rob Rossi is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. Cross corner murphy dump time…with a baseball bat! :)

Here is to beating the East Coast’s whipping boys…… the Philthy’s
    Are they still claiming Giroux is as good as Crosby?

Hope they have a lot of whine for all that cheese…… whiz.

3. Brandie says:

As long as Philadelphia continues to have an inferiority complex that has them resorting to goonish behavior everytime they face the Pens….

Nevermind…the finish to that thought is just too obvious.

4. It’s the Pens vs. the Flyers or Pitt vs. Virginia today, both at 1pm, so why worry about Edinson Volquez trying to prove he’s got it against the Tampa Bay Rays in a mere exhibition game this afternoon?

5. Joey Mellons says:

Since I live half-hour from Philly (Jersey side) I’m taking my 2 1/2 year old son to his first Pens game today. Unfortunately we won’t be able to wear our Pens hat/sweater, I can’t subject him to the few classless flyers fans who will yell foul language towards us. We will have to secretly cheer the Pens on in Philly. Go Pens.

6. DJ says:

Of course they’re still comparing Sid and Giroux. Article in Philly on that very topic a day or two ago. Went something like this:

“If you throw out the first 17 games of the season when Giroux had one goal, Crosby and Giroux are nearly even in the next 50 games, blah, blah . . . ” Except that Sid had like an additional 11-12 assists.

They’re deluded. Would like nothing better than seeing them brought back to earth this weekend.

7. DJ says:

Few classless Flyers fans?

Hahahaha!

8. Smart thinking when you have your son with you, JM. Better to be safe than sorry for the sake of fandom.

9. Brandie says:

Is the 1-3-1 going to be rockin’ Revvie?

10. Andrew says:

Pens’ Twitter gives the lines as

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
    Jokinen-Malkin-Gibbons
    Glass-Sutter-Goc
    Pyatt-Adams-Vitale

but apparently Kunitz has been ruled out.

11. Brandie says:

Oh my. Who is going to step up now?

12. Interesting Fleury is starting. I thought he would start tomorrow at home.

13. Barb says:

So Greene pulling Kunitz down and forcing him into the goal wasn’t a penalty but forced Kunie out today. I hate Washington as much as I hate Philthy.

14. Andrew says:

So you punch a guy, and draw a penalty, sometimes I do not understand the NHL.

15. So nice to see scrubs like rinaldo getting benefit of doubt over despres. Hope bettman and burke are proud…

16. Barb says:

And the you score a PP goal – Giroux. There are no words that are printable to describe him.

17. DJ says:

Ridiculous call against Depres.

18. DJ says:

Goal by Hartnell.

19. I’m wearing out the button on my TV remote.

20. Barb says:

I’m getting dizzy going back and forth between Pens and PITT.

21. DJ says:

Hoping only a deep muscle bruise. Sometimes those are worse a couple days after.

If it’s anything more serious and long term, we’re doomed.

22. Mad max stfu time? Maybe not today….

He probably will

Andrew, my avatar says it all!

The Pens are stinking up the rink today. No one to blame but themselves

26. It’s just as tight between Pitt and Virginia at the half as it was during the regular season, with Virginia leading by 2, and it’ll likely be that way to the end, and it wouldn’t be surprising if it went into overtime.

27. It’s not over…we need to get the next goal but IF we do phillthy will feel the pressure.

Oh I know it’s not over…but unless more than just Ollie Maatta show up to play, there’s a slim chance of taking this game back.

29. Geno n sid are gonna need to pair up either with jussi or goc depending on situation. Vitale n pyatt just brutal.

30. Andrew says:

I know the Pens are up against playing with a top 3 1/2, due to injuries, but the they compounded it with mistakes and a general malaise. I see why the Flyers’ penalty kill give up the least amount of shots/ice time, absurdly aggressive.

The malaise is what bothers me

32. And as for the Pens, well, if only James Neal wasn’t out indefinitely with that concussion.

33. Andrew says:

Pretty much, Rinaldo has two points in 54 games, why does the league allow such a player to collect a salary?

34. Great now phillthy is using the murphy dump play…perfect.

he’s a wild animal and should be in a zoo somewhere

36. That should be a double minor based on despres precedent.

37. Sarah says:

Yup. Gotta hope they don’t play PHL first round. Go BOS!! Er…um….

38. Barb says:

He is….he plays in Philthy.

39. Another hockey fight. That figures when you’re facing Philly.

This game isn’t winnable.

41. Sarah says:

Adams glass Goc on the kill….

42. I would pull flower before 3rd and save him for manana.

43. Sarah says:

This is a playoff barometer

Pens are beating themselves

I wanted to pull him middle of the first

46. Sarah says:

For Gods sake they let him walk right in from the side

This is a typical afternoon game for the Pens..they stink

48. Sarah says:

And…..suck

49. Is it my imagination or a bunch of our plays n pucks being caught up in the refs n linesmans feet today?

50. Sarah says:

Yep. But I hate that. Same time for the other team. Suckitude by our Birds today.

Ain’t no excuses for them today they are beating themselvse.

52. Sarah says:

I dunno but this is a crap performance. Let’s see if they keep working or ask for the check and get undisciplined.

Agree! And tomorrow is another early start. 12:30. Was to be 7:30 but got changed

54. DJ says:

Seems Philly still remains in the Pens heads.

Horrible game by us.

55. Oh no excuse just sayin sloppy game by all. Bad calls too. Jussi and Giroux both earned embellishment calls on separate plays but refs might be a lil hungover too.

56. DJ says:

Realize Geno is without Neal but still would like to see something from him.

Anything really.

57. Sarah says:

One word….SOFFFFF.

58. Sarah says:

Yeah. Anybody here happy with a 1st rd v PHL?

Mercy! Please pull Flower

60. Sarah says:

Yeah. But I hoped the Pens would send a message to PHL that YOU ARE NOT IN OUR HEADS.
    Sadly, No.

61. Overall when you have 2 power wingers and they’re both out against phillty it’s gonna be tougher than usual. And here comes the orpik bashers…

62. DJ says:

When was the last time we’ve seen Geno free between the circles?

Giroux lives there.

63. Sarah says:

Nice turnover Brooks. Good lord.

64. Sarah says:

Just get MAF out of there. Jeebus.

65. Sarah says:

Seriously HM, love ya man, but you can only defend so much. Awful play off a clean faceoff win.

Nice to see the Pens are in playoff form today………..

67. I know sarah, love u too…but he was obviously forcing to get back into the game. Lets not judge based on today sans kuni n real deal. Especially as far as I can tell phillthy is phully healthy. Unfortunately.

68. DJ says:

Really nothing more that needs to be said about Orpik’s game. It speaks for itself.

Those who want to paint a happy face on it because of two good games against the Caps haven’t been paying attention.

69. lookout…hippo darts flying…

I was wondering where you were….but man, this game is brutal

71. DJ, you’re right about his performance speaking for itself. Recently saw some in depth stats n metrics that prove unequivocally how good he is against the best competition. I can paste the link if you’re interested.

72. DJ says:

Forget about forcing it. It was simpler than that.

Orpik tried to skate forward off the FO and could not get there quick enough.

One can’t use this game as a barometer to gauge a player’s usefulness. The whole team is sucking.

74. Rbilak says:

Attention Mr Shero, Coach Dan,

1. Can you please figure out why your powerplay gives up more short-handed chances than you get? This is a trend and you have not fixed it. Does not matter who is on the point, this will be a major factor in losing again in playoffs. It is unacceptable.

2. Tough team physical match-up no Bortuzzo. Simply stupid unless he is hurt.

3. Hey Mr. Shero explain why Harry Z is in the minors and I am watching guys out there who cannot skate as well, cannot score, have zero grit, do not agitate? You deserve to lose when you do not have your best lineup in. Fix it!

4. What a Gutless performance today. I am not saying you need to fight, but come on, this is playoff type hockey. We all are seeing what we fear.

5. Sid, Geno, show up.

6. MAF, again do not want to hear about what score would be. Excuses.

7. Derek Englland, isn’t he in for toughness? Tanner Glass invisible too.

8. Iginla 22 goals.

9. I get we have injuries, but effort is another thing, so is roster decisions. Does not matter if we get 1st or 2nd place, we won’t see Bruins unless player decisions, coaching adjustments and star players play up to capability. Today has been a complete embarrassment, what is Shero and HCDB watching.?

This game should have been a character game.
    They have turtled……..

76. DJ says:

Don’t bother because I saw it already. And what did I just say about the “happy face” people?

Defense needs to get younger and quicker in the off season.

77. Rbilak says:

One last gripe, hey Flyer announcers, great non-call on Orpik. I saw no penalty on that.

Not looking good for burgh teams today

79. All I’m saying is that you can not assume someone can play his minutes and do better. Percentages say that’s unlikely unless you wanna pay a lot more than orpiks cap hit. Even then not so sure you’ll do better.

80. DJ says:

To which I say, Bortuzzo anyone?

81. DJ says:

I’ll be at the game tomorrow.

More of this and I’ll be hanging out near the beer stand.

Lifeless.

82. Sarah says:

Yup. Sad.
    Hope your move went smooth Plan!

83. DJ says:

Won’t argue the second part.

84. Pyatt is starting to offend me.

It went as well as can be expected Sarah.
    moving in the cold just stinks………

Off to the Gulag with him!

87. DJ says:

Starting?

What did the poor gulag do to deserve that??

89. Was only perturbed before…now its turning into an all out personal insult.

I was wondering why Depres is playing over Borts from the first minute of the game

91. Sarah says:

We are glad you’re back!!!

92. Despres has been quite solid I think.

He’s fine, I just like Borts’ attitude better with the flyers

Thank You muchly !
    Glad to be back.

This blog is a nice place to be.

And, I haven’t said a FIRE ……… in a while. ;)

95. Better question might be why engo isn’t at RW with bortuzzo in?

well, that was lame and embarrassing. Hope the Pens show up tomorrow at home

Hear, Hear !

98. Andrew says:

With the Neal injury and Kunitz scratch the Pens needed good play from the special teams and got the opposite. Not sure anything new was learned today, other than that Rinaldo belongs on the Charlestown Chiefs.

99. Sarah says:

Nothing new learned but much seemingly confirmed….PHL still gets under our skin.

These are the games that make me cringe when I think about playoffs.

100. Sarah says:

They better. If not, Flyers will remember this in a few weeks when it matters. And so will we.
    Ugh!!

101. Sarah says:

Is this right? Orpik w second most TOI for the whole team?….

102. Aaron says:

To borrow one from Pedro Martinez….Philly is our daddy.

Best player in the world blah blah blah……the two headed monster blah blah blah….. we learned from our mistakes blah blah blah….. we are tougher and focused now blah blah blah….

For all the talent and all the talk this is a soft team that is mentally weekend folds like a cheap suit under pressure. If this truly is a playoff barometer then they will get bounced in the first round and rightfully so.

The lack of demonstrable will and fire from this squad is beyond infuriating. Soft, soft, and soft…..

Here endeth my rant.

103. chethejet1 says:

Team tuned out Bylsma the second week of the season. This is an unfocused team led by two stars who have little regard for things. Playoffs will hopefully bring a much needed urgency but for now, don’t expect much emotionally. Mark Andre and others have to know this coming playoffs will determine their place next year. Sid won’t put up with this after this year. If he is not happy, Mario is not happy. This has to be the last year for the Nemecolin Penguins if they bomb out in the first or second round.

104. Aaron says:

mentally week AND, but hey….sure….mental weekend…..that fits the Pens too!

105. Aaron says:

I’m just glad we don’t have Iginla now, because who needs another right winger? After all, he sucked at left wing.

oops. never mind.

106. Sarah says:

So…..what are we hoping for, Peeps?

Enough playoff success to keep Disco around another year?

Or something else?

I thought the goal was the Cup every year?
    I mean, isn’t that what we have been told?

But sadly, even if the Pens get beat in the first round by another inferior team, Bylsma will be praised to the heavens, we will be told we don’t know what we are talking about, and all will be well.

Meanwhile, the Pens window with Crosby and Malkin will lose another year.
    For now, I would just like to see the Pens get healthy………… that would be a good start.

108. d says:

Same after game rhetoric from Disco Dani “They did everything we expected them to do against us. They were faster than us tonight. We couldn’t match them tonight.” Blah. Blah. Blah. Well, Disco Dani and others you better buckle up ladies because you can expect a whole lot more of this from here on in!

109. d says:

I think Mario and Ron are from the same school these days one that teaches that money trumps all! And by all I mean winning Stanley Cups! As long as they keep filling up the barn on a nightly basis why should they worry about winning Cups? All the “homers” are making the excuses for them: We ran into a hot goalie, or We had too many injuries, or my personal favorite They made it all the way to the Conference final what more do you want?

110. Sarah says:

Yep Plan the goal is the Cup for sure. For you and me and most of us anyway.
    But I sense the organization is happy with simply filling seats and getting lots of reg season wins.

Disco does that for them.

Disco will not win them another Cup though IMO.
    And I think that’s fine with the organization.
    Country Club uber alle!

111. chethejet1 says:

Sid doesn’t need the money, but he did give up money to help keep players. I have to believe his lack of success and his injury two years ago put him in the I want to win another cup category right now. If the Pens bomb out even in a conference final, I think he at the very least isn’t the good solder he has been. And the brass may like making money, but without Sid, much tougher ticket to sell.

112. Sarah says:

I actually think Sid’s less-than-Sid-like performances this year have to do with him getting sick of disco’s schtick, and playing with AHLers or 3rd liners and RS’s inability to find him a winger, and on and on….
    He’s a good team player to a fault, but sometimes I wish he’d just blow a gasket…..

113. Aaron says:

He is an all world talent playing with, let’s face it, a great third line winger in Stempy and AHL level guys like Gibbons. Get the man a legit all pro level right winger and then worry about upgrading third line center. Get a top level right wing and all of a sudden Sutter will look a lot better on the third line.

Also, Geno needs to keep ramping it up…..I think that if we get bounced early and Geno does another disappearing act it might be time to explore the Kings Ransom we can get for him in a trade.

114. Aaron says:

Disco Dan proved his deal in the Olympics. The Pens will never win another cup with him at the helm. We are the NHL equivalent of Peyton Manning’s 2001-2010 Indy Colts

115. Sarah says:

With this talent possibly.
    With this coach, no.

116. Andrew says:

So the Pens should have kept Iginla instead of Jokinen or both because Shero should have known Dupiuis was going to be hit and tear his MCL, ACL. Iginla is now slow and a terrible fit for the Penguins system. There are criticisms to lodge against the Penguins, this one is just inane.

117. Andrew says:

I wouldn’t conclude too much from this game, the Pens were playing with a top 3 plus a guy who was playing his fifth game with the Pens. Take Simmons off the Flyers and make Hartnell a scratch I think that changes the Flyers and might affect the team’s effort level. The Pen’s effort level was bad and frustrating let us hope it is better tomorrow.

118. d says:

I second that Sarah. This team and every THE GREAT, ALL IN Ray Shero team is built to shy away from anything physical (except maybe the Gary Roberts era). He likes his teams to be small, quick, and top heavy with finesse laden whiners. No grit, nothing dirty, just highlight quality scoring.

” p.s. With this talent I think conference finals every year are realistic with cup being main objective. ”

Agree. On talent alone, this should be the case every year.
    But, as we have all seen the past 4 years, the talent loses to inferior teams each playoff year. Then the “gee, I dont know what happened” begins…………….

120. I’ll be happy if the Pens come back tomorrow at Consol Center and win, although I’m not overly optimistic about that after today.

121. Aaron says:

exactly….I think all of the last 4-5 comments have summed it up perfectly. This team is who we thought they were…..and with Dupuis being gone whatever faint chanve we did have got shredded with his knee.

This team can not and will not win the cup, so I am hoping for a first round defeat….preferrab!y being swept by Philly so perhaps Mario comes down from the ivory tower, wakes up, and forces organizational change.

Start polishing the golf clubs fellas.

122. Rbilak says:

Your opinion, mine s he was misused by our coach and 22 goals so far this year confirm it. Shero gets players but HCDB does not use them correctly, hey are not on the same page. Shero did not make this team tougher to play against, witness today Rinaldo running everyone at will. Today had nothing to do with talent, today was effort, guts and coaching. Today we had none, first shift tomorrow someone needs to challenge Rinaldo, if it means Shero doing his job, cal up the goon in AHL, provides just as much as a Gibbons, Pyatt, Vitale, Adams ect….. Again just my opinion but at least Jay Caufield called hem out on Rinaldo.