Virginia 51, Pitt 48, ACC Tournament semifinal

Looking ahead to tipoff …

Game: Pitt (25-8) vs. Virginia (26-6), ACC Tournament semifinal

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, N.C.

TV, radio: ESPN (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live summary.

Here is our Pitt pageKevin Gorman is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. Aaron says:

If Pitt can put together 40 minutes of the high quality play that they are capable of they can win this game. However, if they get sloppy and leave another 20 points at the line they have no chance.

Here’s hooing they got “scared straight” yesterday and learned their lesson.

Let’s go Pitt!

2. Eric Bowser says:

Been busy with work so haven’t had a chance to comment on Pitt’s run in the ACC tournament. Quite happy and hope they can at least make today’s game a battle until the end and maybe even upset VA.

H2P

Dejan linked to a story on his tweeter feed last night about former Bills QB Jim Kelly. I’ve read other stories as well. As you may have heard this week, Jim Kelly’s jaw cancer has recurred. I have read a few stories about the tragic things that have occurred to Jim and his family since he retired from football. You may know that he and his wife lost their young son awhile back, after he fought a crippling disease for all of his young life. Jim has plates and screws in his back and neck that bring him constant pain. He has had his jaw reconstructed as a result of the cancer. He is on constant medication for pain, which includes his description that his lip feels like it is on fire all the time. He sleeps very little at night from all the discomfort. Just when he thought the cancer was gone, it has returned.

But, he fights on, criss-crossing the country as a motivational speaker and doing other charity work. He doesn’t give in, regardless of the obstacles. What a person. Please remember Jim and his family in your prayers. They’ve been through so much.

This Virginia team is a better team than the one that beat Pitt on a last second shot at the buzzer in February. On the other hand that was the game that hobbled Zanna for half the game and the Pitt that played the last two days is also better.

Sure, Pitt almost blew a big lead yesterday, but that was a pretty darn good team they beat. Almost only counts in horseshoes (or something like that).

I believe Pitt has shown this year that it can play at a very high level quite often. The Pitt offense and passing can be lethally efficient at times. Unfortunately, in just about every game, and for large chunks of most games, Pitt doesn’t operate at a high level offensively or on the defensive glass. Their ability to shoot from the outside comes and goes, as does their free throw shooting. They don’t have the overall athleticism to overcome periods when they are not operating efficiently.

UVA, on the other hand, has had an ability almost all season to maintain a high level of play. They don’t have the most talented team in the country by any stretch, but they do operate at as close to peak performance on a consistent basis as any team in the country. They don’t beat themselves, and they punish opponents for any lapses or mistakes. They stay poised and under control at key moments.

Pitt will have its hands full, I think. But, they have a shot. We know which UVA team will show up. Which Pitt squad will show up?

6. Excellent post, Jim.

And everyone wants to be a pro quarterback, right?

7. DJ says:

With Cam Thomas and Cam Heyward we just need one more for the D-line trifecta.

Pluck Cam Wake from the Dolphins perhaps?

8. Should be no lack of threads today with Pitt, the Pirates and Pens all in action. Have to peek in from time to time.

Does anyone know Drew’s personal e-mail or has anyone seen him on any other blogs? Sure would like to know what happened to the little guy. Miss his input from Bradenton and on every other subject, too.

I know he got some bold reamings before the Olympics, but that never seemed to bother him before.

The start of this ballgame is going to be very interesting. Pitt is playing its third game in three days. Yesterday, Pitt had to play against the press for about one quarter of the game. That can be physically and emotionally taxing, Throw in the closeness of the contest as well.

Would not be surprised at all if Pitt comes out a bit flat in this one. However, at least UVA is not a huge transition oriented club. So, there probably won’t be a lot of running. The Cavaliers get on you defensively, however, and that can get tiresome. A close game would paradoxically be to Pitt’s advantage as they would likely not get the press from a team leading or only a few points behind,

Yesterday, was beneficial for the Panthers in that Dixon now has recent, excellent game film from a talented team pressing them. That will be instructive for next week. A thing to work on in practice. As well as free throws!

It has been a fun few days. Enjoyed the game threads as well but I’m not sure if I’ll get to see this one live. Hopefully, I will but, if not, enjoy the game everyone!

Fun time of the year!

10. bradthedadbradpolk says:

Don’t normally moan about officiating but I’ve seen enough ACC games this year to see that Maryland, Syracuse, and Pitt are getting the short end of the stick. Home cooking is alive and well.

11. DJ says:

Pitt will have its hands full but I would like to see them stay up tempo.

And I believe Zanna will be key. He’s not a back-to-the-basket guy. When he is out in transition or slicing from the wings he’s most effective. And they’ll need at least 15 points from him today if they’re going to win.

If they don’t play up tempo they will lose.

12. I love to see a team peak at this time of the season. Wisconsin is doing just that. That 2-seed will mean a great deal IMO.

Lunardi has OSU up to a 5-seed. I think that’s a bit high. Their season has been strange. Dropping 2 to PSU, one to Minnesota, one to Nebraska. I don’t mind them splitting with MSU and Wisconsin and losing to Michigan nd Iowa, but some of their worst losses have been at home. I think the best us Buckeye fans can hope for is a Sweet 16 appearance and even that will take some doing.

On Wisconsin!

So true, Lucky. There’s more to everyone’s life than what we see everyday.

The quote from Kelly that struck me the most was when he said he learned why God had him face so much disappointment and frustration as a player in losing all those Super Bowls. He said, essentially it was to humble him and make him ready to face far tougher obstacles later in life. From the few articles I read about him, I can’t imagine having more admiration for a person than I have for him.

14. Stuart says:

Rev, I’ve been wondering about Dtew’s absence also. Dejan would have his authentic email, not sure if anyone else would. Hoping he is not lost to our virtual community. He is missed.

Stuart

Great rally from down 18 by OSU. That’s a gritty team, though not one of their more talented ones recently.

Oh, just got the latest SI in the mail (Yep, Smizik, I still read the “print” media). They recreated the classic Larry Bird cover, using Creighton’s Doug McDermott. The one with Bird and the two cheerleaders when he was at Indiana State. As I recall, one of those cheerleaders from the Bird cover had a Pittsburgh connection and has since passed away. Anyhow, it is pretty neat, and Doug McDermott is a friend of my family’s and I can say he and his Dad are really nice people.

I always enjoy Drew’s offbeat humor in his posts. I hope he revisits soon.

Best amateur basketball player in America right now. He’s unlikely to get drafted #1. There are more athletically talented players with higher upside, I suppose. But, he is clearly the best player in college ball right now. At least, that’s my opinion. He is fun to watch.

19. DJ says:

When I watch UVA, I immediately think Pitt in the Big East’s glory days.

Not afraid to slug it out with you.

I think UVA is the UW of the east, which makes sense because of the Bennett connection. Both so well coached every year.

21. Who told them to schedule pitt and pens at same time??? Oh and i’m doing some extensive deep cover scouting on the CHL and am coming up with a list a players pens should target in the draft. We need to end this non sense of drafting and signing all these late blooming college prospects at the expense of CHL players with pedigree.

Cam Wright will be available.

Oops, not yet.

24. Brandie says:

Stu…

Still fighting to get employed. Will know more soon on many fronts this week. Thank you and everyone for caring and thinking of me.

GO PITT BUCCOS AND PENS!

Here’s hoping Jim Kelly comes clean through the fire once again.

Love Yinz

Muppet

Bold reamings don’t bother Drew.

26. Aaron says:

It might behoove Pitt to run a bit more and force VA to play transition defense instead of allowing them tomfrind Pitt down with their half court game. I think Pitt has to be up tempo and aggressive offensively to win. 30 seconds of passing 8 feet behind the arc and trying to frantically heave up a shot with 2 on the shit clock will not get it done today.

I hope Dixon cute the team loose and lets them run a bit.

What do you guys think?

27. Aaron says:

I hope Dixon cute the team loose and lets them run a bit.

What do you guys think?

We’ll see. One thing to keep in mind is Pitt is about to play for the 3rd straight day, while UVA is only on day 2. Day 3 is where the biggest amount of fatigue sinks in for a team, I think. Pitt only used 8 guys yesterday. They will have some tired starters.

29. Good point on that. “Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up.” Not coincidentally, the Book of James, chapter 4, verse 10.

30. ++++++++++ on both points.

31. Aaron says:

One saving grace may be the fact they were able to go deep into their bench against Wake with the big lead in their first game.

32. Imagine tomorrow if they get by Virginia today. Talk about fatigue.

And Syracuse and UNC will have a nice break to prepare for next week’s festivities. That’s the problem, IMHO with these conference tourneys.

From what I’ve seen, Virginia has improved its offense since the Pitt game. Defense is always there.

34. Andrew says:

I think it will be hard to get out in transition as that is the first thing Virginia takes away. Pitt is going to need to shoot well from the outside and the line when they get opportunities. I think it is sort of funny how some have criticized Dixon for his philosophy of focusing on rebounding and defense and Virginia just won the ACC regular season title playing a pack line defense, and their two leading scores averaging 12 points/game.

35. Oh BTW, really hope to keep seeing those airborne cross corner and Murphy dumps into the NZ and corners. Good way minimize time for d to retrieve the puck and to spring some offense when the trapping players start to move their defensive box/triangle up to close gaps on our forwards when their generating speed up ice with the dmen. Or when the dmen have pressure but also have enough time to flip the puck into the air and out of the zone. Kinda like nisky did early in the capitals game to spring real deal.

Philly will wanna come out smoking, going over the top is a good way to back them off and get them on their heels a bit.

AW is right. Bold reamings don’t bother Drew.

I think it was during the Olympics that Drew didn’t care for a response and said that he decided to take a break. And I think he’s really busy with work. And drinking beer. And trying not to get sunburn.

I see autocorrect is working just fine, Aaron. (Sh$t clock). ;-)

38. Glad to hear that. I know BR’s don’t bother him. Just hope he’s not sick or dead or something. What would his wife and poodles do without him?

And who would we bother with emoticons?

;)

39. Brandie says:

I agree it is time for Jamie Dixon to cut the guys loose and let them do their thing.

BTW Sh$t clock is hilarious.

I thought I saw a “Drewski” on the chat yesterday, whom I thought was Drew.

Hope a sand crab didn’t get him…….

Jim,

They are young athletes.
    It isn’t like us old geezers, and cripppled animals are trying to run up and down the floor. My legs are so bad after this winter, I may need a Subaru to get up the floor.

Ok, let see if I can get this straight………….

Pens at 1.
    Pitt at 1.
    Pirates at 1.
    New Castle BBall at 2.

I have one radio, one computer, and 1 TV.
    Hmmmmmmmm.

43. Eric Bowser says:

I don’t mind a pick or two from NCAA but they have to start looking at Europe. They are putting very little money into the scouting department over there and it shows with the lack of skill in the system and how they draft players.

Steve Yzerman hasn’t been afraid to draft Russians.

44. Barb says:

That was Tunch Ilkin’s late wife Sharon John.

45. Barb says:

What a conundrum! :)

46. Rico says:

I think maybe it’s time the Lord gave Mr Kelly and his family a break. . .

47. Not an easy life on this earth, Rico. The next real break is eternity. But you speak truth. They’ve had a lion’s share.

Thanks, Barb.

49. Funny you mention Russians. Stay tuned…ok can’t help it….here it goes….

As a sneak peak google ‘Nikita Scherbak’. Big, fast, skilled, gritty, Russian import playing in WHL so he’s familiar with culture and probably interested in NHL much more so than KHL. Did I mention fast?

Would be good for geno to take on a gonchar type role and the kid should be attainable in the 1st round based rankings I’m currently seeing. Definitely worth trading up if need be. Other players rated similar to him seem to be higher risk with reward not necessarily being higher than Scherbak’s.

Furthermore to my eyes he seems like an NHL lock compared to other players that would be a work in progress. His defensive instincts are good and has the speed to be nhl ready within 1-2 years for a 3rd line role, and probably top 6 role not long after. Worst case he toils on your 3rd line being a gritty and speedy role player, but his upside suggests that’s he’s the perfect compliment to geno and real deal due to his speed and willingness to muck it up on the boards to establish possession. Kinda reminds me of a bigger kunitz actually now that I think about it.

Got some later round suggestions as well.

50. Oops…meant to say 1-2 years after leaving juniors not after being drafted. But then again…maybe I’m selling him short.

But you can have more than one site up on the computer so you could have several games going on the web.

52. DVR a beautiful thang…

Yeah, Guys, I could, but I just may not listen to any of them, as to not jinx them.

They really had to schedule everything at almost the same time??
    Really?

54. JD says:

We went to Philly for the 1st 2 rounds of the NCAA’s last year and ended up in the same hotel with Creighton. Lots of cool fans that we got to meet at the hotel bar. We were on the elevator with McDermott & another player. They couldn’t have been any nicer to my 13 yr old son. I immediately became a Creighton fan. I hope they do well this year.

55. chethejet1 says:

Flyers will want to establish they are coming on. Pens coasting until the playoffs. Maybe a wake up call for Pens in the here and now. Neal has been playing concussed most of this year. Sure does explain his terrible play to date. Virginia will win due to fresher and better coaching. Pitt’s legs were shakey in the end last game. Pens getting hammered wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen to the Consol country club crew.

56. kr70 says:

the hopper

Moose and Squirrel took DVR………

58. At least it wasn’t boris.

59. Andrew says:

Even strength Neal is 3rd in the league in goal for per 20, and 9th in Points/60, add in 7 power play goals. James Neal’s production is not an issue.

60. BOOM! Andrew bringin it with da metrics again! I like it!

61. DJ says:

Very surprised the NHL did not schedule around the New Castle game, Plan.

Friggin Bettman.

62. Andrew says:

Neal has his faults, multiple suspensions, can take a dumb penalty with the best of them, and can be frustrating to watch but his production has been fine and his play has been far from terrible.

63. Dang, that intro on the ACC Tournament about Pitt got me fired up already!!!

Here they come . . . . .

64. Brandie says:

Check out Groats N Honey with his engines racing!

65. Pitt cannot win today with Patterson getting only 12 points.
    Zanna was so good——almost perfect——yesterday and no one can expect him to be that great again today.

Patience Pitt!!

66. Barb says:

This is making me dizzy going back and forth between PITT and Pens.

67. Jay Bilas is so knowledgeable about the little things of basketball. And he is so complimentary of Pitt.

I like that!

I wonder if the winning team makes it to 50?

68. Lad 9 says:

In a game where every shot had so much importance, Pitt has to shoot fouls better than they have been. H2P!

Zanna might be playing himself into the first round of the NBA draft in this tournament. Lots of NBA scouts there (Dejan not included).

Poorly executed last play of the half and Patterson clanks a forced three pointer.

Halftime:

UVA 26
    Pitt 24

71. Florida Steeler says:

Patterson needs to get his game hat on his head. He disappeared the last six minutes of the game yesterday and had a poorly played first half today. Zanna cannot beat this Virginia team by himself. Patterson has been weak defensively also.

+ many.

Yes. I wish ESPN had the tournament. Their cadre of announcers and analysts is, on balance, really good. Hard to beat ESPN at college basketball. Kerr and Anthony at CBS are weak sauce.

I’ve spent some time in Omaha over the years on business and I find the people there extremely friendly.

You wouldn’t be the first, plan.

I’ve seen more running hooks in CB this year than I can remember. HS must be teaching it more.

77. Florida Steeler says:

Good run by Pitt in the ACC tourney but Jamie needs to learn what all of us are aware: You have to put the ball in the hoop to win and he has to start recruiting shooters.

Get a stop here and get the lead back to three!

Gill goal tends and Pitt cuts it to three. Pitt getting the ball down deep well the last few minutes.

Anybody besides FS and I watching this one or is every one watching the Pens ? lol

81. Lad 9 says:

Still watching John. Boy this team is tough to play against!

I am trying to watch/ listen to 4 games…………

Every one of the teams I root for is losing right now……..

Damn, Newkirk… if only that three had fallen.

84. Andrew says:

Watching both, one is not much of a game.

I said it yesterday. Pity the schools that draw UVA’s side of the early round brackets. Exhausting team.

Lad, unless things change, the refs are going to make sure NC loses today.

87. DemonDachshund says:

Why are they not fouling???

JROB!!!!!

Maybe play of the year!!

89. Andrew says:

How is that not a foul?

90. DemonDachshund says:

And how was that not an and-one???

91. Lad 9 says:

Should have been and one. Bad call. Gotta foul twice now

92. Florida Steeler says:

How do they not call that foul??

It was clearly a foul!

94. Andrew says:

Virginia is a great team, have a system and play it well, but keeping every game close is asking for an upset.

Interesting to see where Pitt ends up in the NCAA Toona-ment.

They played well in the ACC Toona-ment, so I think they may get a 8 seed.
    If the committee doesn’t value conference tournaments, Pitt will get a 11-12 seed.

GO PITT !!

Too many fouls called yesterday. Not enough today. JRob was fouled.

Good run, Pitt!

Selection Sunday tomorrow.

97. Lad 9 says:

Good basketball game but I hate the result. D@mn!

98. First (and only) team to 50 did win! Unfortunately it wad Virginia.

Actually really, really good basketball game. Pit has nothing to be ashamed of.

Virginia defines winning ugly….

100. Yeah, but she sure can cook!

HA !!!

102. Well, overall, Pitt had a good week, and, hopefully, they’ll make enough noise in the NCAA Tournament.

103. Sure hope Pitt doesn’t get an 8/9. Worst track in the whole tourney.

104. Lunardi has had them a 10 for a while.

Too many things happen in a game for it to come down to one call. But, that non-call on JRob’s drive was gigantic. When you get in a game where neither team is committing many fouls, it always favors the team that is winning. Pitt was scrambling to commit fouls, and then UVA was able to foul twice on Pitt’s last possession to run off almost all the time. UVA just played a little bit better.

If the refs make the right call on that play, though, the one Bilas was screaming for BTW, JRob is shooting for a tie. Maybe we see a completely different result. But, that’s how it goes. I’m sure UVA wishes they had gotten a couple of more calls also. Great game.

I expected Pitt to show up today, and they did. They are a well coached team, and a perennial Top 20 program. They don’t take a back seat to UVA, even if UVA is the better team this year.

I think the reality is this a situation where they are probably better than the #29-36 team in the country (8 and 9 seeds), but they haven’t earned more than that. They have one signature win, and a lot of close losses against really good competition (Duke, UVA x2, UNC, UC).

If I’m on the committee, and I watched their last several games I probably think they are a borderline Top 25 team right now. But, the season lasts longer than just the last couple of weeks. I think they earned a dreaded 8 or 9. I’d rather get a 10 or 11, I think. If you get by Round 1, your 2nd game is easier.

New Castle has overcome so much today, and have clawed back to lead by 3 with 30 seconds left.

Malik Hooker, NC’s star, got 3 fouls whistled on him in the first 4 minutes of the game, and had to sit the whole first half. Refs awful, but New Castle is tough. Hampton led by 9 at the half.

It is so unreal that referees in High school sports have to cheat kids.
    My phone has been blowing up with complaints about the refs.
    What purpose does it serve?

Final Score New Castle 57, Hampton/Refs 55. :)

108. Lad 9 says:

Well said Jim. The non call was huge. Good tourney for the Panthers. Now it’s time to dance.

109. I want to declare right now that Pitt had a GREAT intro season in the ACC. Look at how Notre Dame entered.

Pitt finished 5th in their first season and made it to the Semis of the more important ACC Tournament.

Along the way Pitt beat one of the bluebloods of college basketball (albeit one with dirty feet!) North Carolina.
    And Pitt beat Carolina by running with them instead of winning ugly.

Talib Zanna laid claim to a possible MVP of ACC Tourney with an unbelievable 21 rebounds, with 19 points, against a bigger Carolina team. And Zanna was one of the top 2 players in the game against Virginia.

I think the only real disappointment for Pitt should be the multiple losses at home. ACC teams apparently were not intimated by the Pete. The Zoo needs to recruit some better animals for next year.

Pitt did not lose the game today———Virginia won it!

Excellent year, Pitt!!

110. Wow! Jabari Parker turns 19 today.

Imagine how well he will play today now that he is no longer normal high school age.

Thank You Groatmeal !

Now, it is your Dookies Toona-ment to win!

Pens skunked.
    Pitt lost.
    Pirates lost.

At least New Castle overcame the refs and squeaked by to the state HS semis…… where a Philly team awaits.

1 out of 4 isn’t good…….

I agree with some of that, Groat. But, Pitt came from a better basketball conference than the ACC. They aren’t awed by these teams. Not after playing and often beating schools that regularly get to the Final Four and win national championsips, such as Cuse, UCONN, Louisville. Over the last 10+ years, the only ACC schools that can lay claim to having a better basketball program than Pitt are UNC and Duke. The Big East regularly outperformed the ACC, and Pitt was regularly at the top of its standings.

Pitt knew it would do just fine in this conference in basketball. This was not a vintage Pitt team, but I don’t think they are necessarily happy with their 13-8 showing this year.

Both Duke and Michigan State are very legit. Interesting to see how Arizona does against UCLA tonight.

Hope Dejan puts up a post Pitt selection thread tomorrow night. It will be all in the draw for the Panthers.

I was rooting for Pitt today, but when they got down by 7 I figured it was over. BUT, I still have a team in it! :-D

Pitt had a nice run, and played the last game close. I agree with my friend Groat. Not too shabby.

Now, Go Virginia and beat those aptly named Blue Devils!!!

I’ll be pulling for the Cavaliers as well. Sorry, Groat, the coach is a Wisconsin boy.

117. Andrew says:

Grout, I cannot tell if you are serious or not but if you are I agree with Jim. I guess you missed those national championships by Louisville and UConn.

This was an average to above average Pitt team, the team lacked the depth of better Pitt teams, after the Johnson injury they had an eight man rotation with the eighth guy, Randall averaging only 9.0 minutes/game. The defection of Birch and Adams entering the draft affected this year’s team.

118. I am/was completely serious.

And Duke, North Carolina, and Maryland won National Championships in last 11 seasons from ACC.

119. Wilver Dornel and Oshkosh b’Gosh,

It’s OK for you to pull for the Wahoos.
    We Dukies are used to everyone pulling against us!!!

Only saw the 2nd half, but sorry about the Badgers, Oshkosh b’Gosh. Those white boys sure can shoot. Must have had a terrible 1st Half.

++++++++++++++++++