On location: Pirates-Yankees, exhibition, canceled, rain

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

BRADENTON, Fla. — Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates vs. New York Yankees, exhibition

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: McKechnie Field

TV, radio: Root Sports, MLB Network (delay)

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. And here’s our Bucco Blog with all the pitching matchups, lineups, etc. Travis Sawchik, photographer Chris Horner and I are on the scene for the Trib.

If you missed it, here was the Monday column on the search for 200-inning starters, as well as the accompanying video …

Comments

1. Baywatch says:

Morning, Y’all! Hey, nobody here! I’ll leave the dip and chips and run back and get some people, DK. They’re probably still filling out their brackets!

2. Dom says:

Could this be a preview of the World Series???

3. Brandie says:

Why it’s Baydro, or should I say Bay Searage! Thanks tor coming back to round up some folks!

4. Brandie says:

That’s the spirit!

5. Andrew says:

No the Yankees are bad.

6. Baywatch says:

+++

7. Baywatch says:

May change that to Ray Green Beerage after tonight, Branj!

8. Brandie says:

I like the sound of that…Baydro and The Branj. :)

9. Baywatch says:

Too bad we couldn’t include a guest spot for Gary Coleman, with a name like that! RIP, Li’l Guy!

So have we figured out if Chris Stewart has a season-ending injury?

;)

11. Brandie says:

I was thinking more “Chico and The Man” but I get where you are going.

“WHATCHU TALKIN’ BOUT BAYDRO?”

12. Brandie says:

Every time I look for info…it says no injury. We shall see.

I guess not lol

14. Dom says:

See my link above, it states he’s most likely out for the year.

Thats the hockey player, isn’t it?

16. Brandie says:

This comes from last Friday…JRay 3 reported that he received I formation from catcher Chris Stewart’s agent that he was also injured and could possibly be out for the year.

I don’t believe he has caught since Wednesday.

18. Brandie says:

Let us email or tweet DK to see what is going on!

Yes Biz, it is.

Games that count start in 5 days!

Saw that Brandie, but I’d like to see something on a web site…it’s been 3 days, ya know?

Colin Dunlap is reporting that he’s talked to someone in the Pirates organization & it’s extremely iffy that Andrew Lambo even makes the team. They don’t think he can handle 1st base at the big league level. I thought it was a little strange that when Lambo played last week it was at DH.

And I never saw Chris Stewart at all last week.

23. Dom says:

That can’t be right because if it was, I’d look like an idiot.

24. Naterosboro says:

Travis has Stewart as the backup in his Bucco Blog entry from this AM (on the 25 that will break camp with the Pirates). If he doesn’t know Stewart is injured, I guess no one does.

If a guy had a 6-8 week (possibly season ending) injury, that would force Tony Sanchez (or an outside move) onto the roster that breaks camp, I’m pretty sure it would’ve been reported on.

Unless, this is like when the Pirates had their double-secret extensions. Maybe they just really don’t want the rest of the baseball world to know that our backup catcher is injured.

I think this is a case of the ol’ mistaken identity.

Why are radio people reporting this and not people actually on the ground there ?

No clue. I saw the tweet and figured I’d pass it along. But I do trust Dunlap.

27. FlBucco says:

Busy week – brackets to do – got to get my fantasy teams drafted – don’t want to miss out on the Australia stats – then a trip to Bradenton – think the staff ace – the steal of the century EV is due to pitch

Who is having corned beef and cabbage for dinner?

28. JRay3 says:

I’ve been told that the Bucs Chris Stewart has surgery set for this Wednesday.

Me, as well. And, thanks.

You’ve never steered me wrong yet.

By the way, Bryan Morris looks fantastic. Fastball was consistently 95/96 in two innings at Port Charlotte Thursday.

31. JRay3 says:

Posted in reply above…I’ve been told Bucs C Chris Stewart has surgery scheduled for this Wednesday.

Why it has not been reported, I could not answer unless they want to wait for results before making announcement.

32. JRay3 says:

Milo- adding to that, I had heard he was looking as good as he ever has and he feels great.

It was communicated to me that management is looking at this year to see if he could be backend guy with Grilli deal coming up and Clint Hurdle is a big fan of Morris.

Here is wishing BOTH Chris Stewart’s well on the St. Paddy’s day !

Glad to see our blog brethren scooping the media when it comes to injury reporting.

If the reports are true, do the Bucs bring Sanchez north, or go acquire another backup C ? After all, the management have said Sanchez needs to play……… at Indy that would occur, at PNC it wouldn’t.

34. Dom says:

I think Tony Sanchez can step up. He played well at the end of the season last year, right?

Now posters to blogs are beating Pirates beat writers to stories. The former beat guy at the PG used to break stories all the time.

Got spoiled, didn’t we ?

37. Naterosboro says:

JRay

Any idea then why no one from the team has commented on this or people that cover the team for media outlets have reported on it?

Not saying your info isn’t credible, I’m just baffled why a significant injury to a player on the 25 man (and 1 brought in to backup at C) hasn’t been reported on at all.

Any insight would be helpful.

Blog broken.
    I posted about both Chris S., and it went all the way to the top.
    Thanks, Trib. Again.

GO BUCS !

39. Naterosboro says:

JRay, ignore my reply above. Didn’t read down far enough to see this.

Yeah what Oshie said, and thanks Mye-lo!

Either that or a trade chip to get them a first baseman.

42. Andrew says:

Travis Sawchik ‏@Sawchik_Trib 3m

Chris Stewart has not been in the lineup for the Pirates for over a week. I’m told we’ll get an update on him later today

If you’re cooking, you can invite us all :D

So, you are saying that having an entire infield from 1b – 3b of questionable performance and availability should concern them, Andrew? I heard they signed Tanaka, McCann and Ellsbury so everything should be fine.

45. Naterosboro says:

Maybe they just saw JRay break the news on the DK blog and figured screw it.

Maybe…

Absolutely, Milo.

Makes you wonder about all the stuff that goes on and we don’t even hear about.

I have assumed you were accurate all along, JRay.

Exactly. Maybe it’s a situation where the injury and surgery is of a nature that he would prefer to keep it private for now.

49. The Gunner says:

Milo……..great point you raise when you mention “trade chip to get them a first baseman”. I couldn’t agree with you more.

Like a woman’s thing?

I don’t doubt JRay.

Think about this. If Chris Stewart got hurt & the Pirates feel they still would like Tony Sanchez to play the season in Indianapolis, why would they tell the world if they were suddenly in the market for another catcher ? It makes perfect sense to me that they sit on the news as long as possible.

I’m completely speculating here, and I like to do that. So … I’m going to suggest that someone could be moved for Carp or someone similar. Would not surprise me if Watson or Wilson is moved, since Stink, Jr. seems to be getting a lot of innings. Wilk looked pretty sneaky deceptive to me again yesterday. I realize neither of those guys is the power arm they would like to replace either Wilson or Watson, but if they are leaning toward Lambo not going north they may need to take a shot. I’d love to see the price tag be a righty reliever, but I don’t see a Morris or Vin bringing much value. Maybe Gomez gets dangled?

Then, again, someone (maybe NMR) did a tally of Boston’s projected roster last week, and it showed maybe Carp gets cut. That would obviously bring down the price.

Ishikawa or McGuinness, anyone?

Or, if they think Kendrys can handle 1b defensively, maybe he’ll still be there in June when the free agent compensation is lifted.

There’s not going to be a game today in case anybody’s interested.

He could clearly be a backup right now, Dom. We have heard all along, though, that the plan was to send him to Indy specifically so he could get full-time duty. But, if they have no other choice, I guess he’s the guy.

When the Pirates told the beat reporters, maybe they assumed it was the hockey playing Chris Stewart. :-)

Rain out?

Conversely, nobody out there in trade rumor world has caught wind of the Pirates looking for a backup catcher, which one would think they’d clearly be doing right now?

Not doubting JRay at all, just amazing to me that something like this could be kept completely, 100% silent for this long in this day.

Where was Singer ?

Oh, yeah. Picking up Neal’s dry cleaning.

59. Nate83 says:

I assume they don’t know the exact extent of the injury. Maybe they are just trying to get all the answers so they can release something accurate.

I just think it’s funny that some wonder why the Pirates haven’t said something. When have these guys been forthcoming about anything ?

Pirates announce Stewart injured knee 3/12 against the Twins. He’s visiting Dr. Andrews & surgery is probable.

Still not letting it all out there, are they ?

Being beat by national guys is one thing. But being beat by a guy on a blog is down right embarrassing.

Hooray for JRay.

Oh certainly.

Took almost amonth for them to announce Kyle McPhereson had TJ surgery last summer. Hell, we still don’t know whether or not Wandy’s left elbow is arthritic. And on and on and on…

Hear hear! Green beer for all!

65. The Gunner says:

No offense to Lambo but, doesn’t it send a bad message if a guy makes the team with a BA of .065 in ST? Especially if he has no major league track record.

Sounds like catcher is going to become an area of concern real quick!!

Hi Frank?

So do you go with Sanchez or pick up a backup?

You are gonna get drunk if you keep this up !

Milo is correct, JRay has the scoop on this.
    First, complete silence on the matter.
    Then, a 1/2 statement.

Continual strange and unusual happenings regarding this team.
    Maybe they are waiting for another secret contract extension thing?

Oh, and since there is no game today, lest think about another silent gem:
    Selig’s replacement. Been awful quiet there too.
    Maybe Frank will get the call? Speaking of Green beer and all…….

69. Naterosboro says:

You raise a good point. The Pirates under Huntington/Coonelly (aka Best Management Team in Baseball, maybe even all of Sports) have always held the cards close to their vest. In some cases, pulling aces (extensions) out of their sleeves after 6 months……

But, times change, things change. Didn’t you see the end of Rocky IV?

Still thought somehow it would’ve been leaked to a reporter in this day in age (especially when so much time passed; I could understand if it happened yesterday or over the weekend). I guess that’s what surprises me the most.

Ah, the control of information by a regime is a tricky matter indeed.

Being I posed this question and the blog put it way up at the top…….

Management has stated that they want Sanchez to play regularly. That will happen at Indy. It won’t happen as martin’s backup. Based on what has been said, I would think they go for another backup catcher.

I hear Rod Barajas is available……..

That would assume that the players care about spring training stats.

And they don’t.

NooooOOOoooo!!!!!

Ha! Won’t take much for me to get drunk…I’ll be asleep in short order if I drink too much lol

Isn’t he managing or coaching in some organization?

Kim Jung Il releases more info than these guys……..

I agree with you Milo. When it comes to injuries they don’t say anything until absolutely necessary. And NH has said that before many times. They almost act like a hockey organization.

They wouldn’t have gotten scooped by anyone if Stewart’s agent doesn’t say anything to his buddy on this blog.

I read that a few weeks back, Biz. Can’t recall where, though.

79. Haven’t you guys been paying attention?!?

Bucs don’t need a 1st Baseman . . . . . they have Andrew Lambo.

That is what they said, plan. But, I guess is still depends on whatever they find in the catcher-sphere. I don’t think the Yankees have anyone else to give them.

Game is officially rained out.

Didn’t stop them from picking up Volquez…………
    I am sure there is something in the catcher-sphere.

So, then, it’s a lower body injury? I’m used to less specifics.

They are shopping Cervelli. Biogenesis guy.

I told you all months ago, they should have signed Loney. :)

And just to tick off NMR, this St. Patrick’s Day, take a look at his ST line: :)

Yes, something. I don’t think we’ll like it much, though.

Good.
    Now it’s YOUR job to talk about Volquez.
    Happy talking. :)

I’ve been at McKechnie for a St. Patrick’s Day rainout. Just means an earlier start at Clancy’s.

I trusted JRay right from the start. But, I remember JRay not saying what it was, and I thought that was odd. So, I thought maybe it was something personal in nature.

But, it sounds like a knee. Just your typical, garden variety lower body injury in NHL terms. So, I read too much into it.

90. Dom says:

Yep, the Padres rookie league team.

91. FlBucco says:

Hey Milo – I am heading for Bradenton Thursday – where should I go for an adult beverage and good sandwich for lunch

This one’s easy. It’s either a) he opens the season in the rotation or b) Convenience List then joins the rotation at a later date.

93. Kelly Stoppach, whom BMTIB signed as insurance and placed at Indy after Fort got hurt and Bucs had to bring Tony Sanchez up, is still a free agent and available for backup.

Then Tony Sanchez could go to Indy and play every day at least until mid-season.

Hey, we already traded for Byrd. Why not Cervelli?

I thought I read he retired? Guess not.

From Lambo’s standpoint, I think it absolutely depends on whether he feels like he is having quality ABs. I thought he hit a couple of infield grounders squarely yesterday, including one that almost ate up Utley at 2b, and a hard hit ball to the 1b. Then, I think he hit an infield popup. I have not tracked all of his ABs to determine if he is hitting the ball consistently well. But, he is putting it in play.

If, on the other hand, he is not having good ABs and not hitting the ball squarely, I don’t think he would be happy in ST even if his average was .450.

My take as a hitter was always that I did my job if I hit the ball squarely. After that, it was generally out of my hands. If I didn’t hit it squarely, even if I dumped one in, I wasn’t happy. Dumping one in might help the team more, but I considered it luck.

I think he’s one of those guys who can go through various stages of seeming to be retired, then returning the minute someone needs a backstop.

I think the car is always gassed up, and the trunk always has his gear.

Shop-vac.

98. As a guy who still plays ball, even just rec league, when I hit 3 balls right on the nose and the outfielder makes running dives or grabs and I am still in the dugout versus 3 quail shots and I’m 3/3 and on base, I’ll always take the quail shots.

I trust Colin too, but I don’t believe it.

I think Lambo comes north.

100. Listed looking for a job in MLB Rumors this weekend.

I understand the thoughts on Sanchez playing every day, but wouldn’t the club be stronger with him playing once or twice a week?

102. greg says:

With the play of some of our “young” SS, is there ANY chance that the Pirates would trade Barmes (Detroit) or cut him? I know he and Mercer have a great relationship, but Martinez and others have looked good to back up Jordy.

He’s a complete & total jerk for one.

The Trib quoted NH today as saying except of something unforseen (injury), he’s in the rotation.

Bad joke on my part. ;-)

106. Someone said last year he looked awful in ST. Of course those games don’t mean anything.

What about an Indy guy for one or two days a week? Get Tony his AB’s, etc. in Indy and stick with the plan.

I seriously doubt it, Greg. Barmes can’t hit a lick, but they are convinced he can play SS with anyone. I think most in the industry agree, based on all the metrics.

108. Stuart says:

Hey Jim S,

Got home late last night and saw your question to Chet about “wet strawberry”. I think maybe Chet was channeling his inner Yogi Berra!

The actual quote from Bob Prince was about how fast Bob Veale could pitch. “He can throw a strawberry through a locomotive”. Veale led the league in strikeouts, and amassed well over a thousand in his Pirate career. He was a starter in the early sixties, and switched to the bullpen later in his career. Pitched in relief in the WS in 1971.

Another favorite of the Gunner, when a very high popup was hit, he would exclaim “It’s a home run in an elevator shaft!”

Stuart

Ahhh I was wondering about that too, Stuart….thanks for sharing that information :)

I hear what you are saying, Groat. I know hits are better than outs.

But, would you prefer to think the quails are going to keep dropping in as a long term strategy, or expect that the line drives will start dropping in?

Guys that consistently fail to hit the ball hard never become good hitters because the law of averages always catches up to them.

Guys that consistently hit the ball hard become good hitters because the law of averages always catches up to them.

Line drives yield a .650 or greater batting average in MLB.

111. You see, Bizzy, you JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND!!!

Pirates are a “Small Market Team,” as BMTIB is wont to remind us. That means planning for the future is almost equal to preparing for the present.

Tony Sanchez will not be better NEXT season if he sits behind Russell Martin THIS season. Pirates would be better this season if Sanchez backed up Martin and learned firsthand from him; sure the Pirates would be better this season if they obtained a legitimate 1st Baseman instead of a “hope he can pick it up AND learn to hit” rookie with 1/2 season of success at AAA. Sure the Pirates would be better if they had signed the National League starter who led the league in k/9 innings AND ground ball rate.

That’s just not how the Pirates roll. BMTIB knows better. Dan Fox has the statistics to prove it.

112. Carnak see Convenience List in Volquez’s future!

113. Stuart says:

Hi J! Have you had the Shelby (either of them) out yet? My Miata is scheduled to come out on the 1st of May, if there is not snow then.

Stu

114. Neil Walker seemed to hit a jillion line drives last season that got caught. All season.

Everybody talks about him needing to have a bounceback or better year.

I guess I think that a good hitter is going to hit line drives, and the quails are payback for all the line drives that are caught. So I smile and say, “Thank You” to the Great Umpire Above when a bloop just clears the shortstop’s head. I deserved it.

I laughed!

Don’t forget “can of corn” for an easy fiyout. Except the time Matty Alou dropped one ;-)

Thanks, Stu. I know of Bob Veale. He must have been pretty intimidating in his day. The strawberry through a locomotive one is great.

I love the HR in an elevator shaft one. Bobby Robertson used to hit a bunch of those.

Gotcha, always play for tomorrow ;-)

Not yet, Stuart, as everytime we had the chance, it snowed yet again! (That’s the car)

The four-legged Shelby gets out just about everyday for a ride in the diesel truck :)

Lookin’ forward to Spring, so we can get the car out, as I am sure you are too!

Good reason! Perish the thought then! :D

My guess would be that the only thing that could keep Lambo from coming north would be his defense and that doesn’t sound like that’s the case.

Neil Walker did have a tough season from a contact standpoint last year. It happens to everyone from time to time. I’m hoping he’ll have a nice season with the bat if he continues to decrease his strikeout rate and increase his walk rate this year.

I don’t really think we are actually arguing different things, Groat – unless I’m misunderstanding you. Of course, we both want our bloops to drop in as often as possible. But, the goal of the hitter is to hit the ball hard because, over time, they have a much better chance of being hits. One of those things takes skill (line drives), and the other is good fortune (bloops for hits).

Hopefully, we are agreed on that much.

Here’s a link to a writeup that the BoSox might be willing to deal a catcher

Do you think Tony Sanchez would be best served getting the 175 at-bats that our back up catchers got last season, or getting 400+ at bats in AAA?

125. The Gunner says:

Someone has mentioned to me that ST stats mean nothing but, I think it depends on the situation.

126. The Gunner says:

I hope Lambo goes on a tear for the rest of ST, I’d love to see this guy do well from the gitgo

Groaty busted me, I was thinking about the best possible PBC team for this season ;-)

And he also said he’s not going to say that he’s a lock. So he covered all of his bases!

Thanks, Biz. This is actually pretty funny given what we know here:

“The Pirates learned today that Chris Stewart will probably need knee surgery (hat tip: Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Twitter), though they likely feel that they have another capable backup to Russell Martin in-house in the form of Tony Sanchez.”

Necessity is the mother of transactions. I say bring him up and let him learn from Martin and MLB coaching. AAA PA’s be dramned at this point. Big Club needs him now and Big Club has pennant to win THIS year.

++++++++

I disagree. I think TS has missed a lot of playing time throughout his career and needs to play and get as many at-bats as possible. If the catching platoon was going to be more of a 50/50 split, then I would consider it. But he’s going to play once a week. A ‘Chris Stewart’ guy is the best option at this point.

And I think TS could learn a lot from Martin, but I think it is also a little overblown.

+++++++++

134. Nate83 says:

Steve DeBerg is available…….oh wait….. wrong sport.

My understanding, FWIW, is they think his bat will play. The reason they would like him to play every day in AAA is to work more on his defense.

136. Naterosboro says:

From a person who lives in the Delaware Valley, you want no part of Michael Martinez on this team, other than maybe going back and forth from AAA to fill in incase someone has to hit the 15 day DL. He cannot hit. At all. He’s not a burner on the basepaths either. He literally provides you with nothing from an offensive standpoint. In fact, his offense is OFFENSIVE (yea…had to get that in there).

Do not let ST stats or play fool you.

The only thing he would provide is an adequate glove. So he can be a late inning defensive replacement. While I’m not a huge JHay guy, I’d much rather have him go north than Martinez.

If Neal Huntington reads this blog, please take this plea into account. He’s probably a wonderful person, but Michael Martinez is not a very good professional baseball player.

137. Albert Brettermeier says:

I heard you on TribLive Podcast discussing Letang and comparing him to Peverly; “same organ”, the heart. Actually, it’s his brain. While it seems reliable that Letang has a hole in his heart, I have never read that anyone in the Pens organization say that the medical team involved attributed the stroke to the hole. If it were due the hole, it seems impossible to me that said hole would not be repaired in a 26 year old man. Are you aware of a statement from the Pens organization that the “hole” is the root cause of the stroke? I’ve always wondered why radio personalities don’t bring physicians on the air to discuss cases like this from an expert point of view. None of Letang’s docs would without his permission, but an expert could discuss the topic more generically.

138. FlBucco says:

Hey Stuart – any relation to Dr. Strangeglove?

I have fond memories of sitting at Forbes Field and watching some very majestic Home Runs from an earlier version of the Lambo…

Mentioned something similar on the Bucco Blog last week.

I’m not sure who knows what Tony Sanchez brings to the table right now.

140. The Gunner says:

Jim

The Gunner had a lot of catchy phrases. He was the best!

141. The Gunner says:

Yep, I thought Steve Blass was going to walk right out to CF & strangle Matty Alou that day.

Jarrod Parker, who was slated to be the Opening Day starter for the A’s, is going to have his second tommy john surgery. He’s 25.

(my source is twitter)

143. JohnS says:

Maybe the Fort gets cut and they can bring him back.

Along with Medlin, Beachy, Corbin, Leuke…yikes. I’m just glad the Pirates were rained out.

I predict the Athletics finish 15 games or worse than last season.

Interesting….I may have to wager you an adult beverage on that JohninO

Agreed.

Hands down, I go with the greater # of reps. TC as being the best thing for Sanchez.

But, if backup in Pgh comes down to Sanchez vs. a stiff from another organization who hurts the big team in his one+ game per week, I go with Sanchez.

Depends who they get to replace Stewart. I don’t think Fort cuts it. He can’t throw out my mother-in-law stealing bases. She gets moderate jumps, but she has no wheels at 70.

I don’t think Fort was much on pitch-framing or blocking the plate, either. The Pirates, internally, did not grade him out well on the defensive side.

Is he the Don’t Pay the Ferryman guy?

Oh, wait … that’s Chris DeBerg.

I agree with you. There are certain times that they matter.

Yeah, that was interesting ;-) Was scared to go there though ;-)

152. Sweet Jimmie,

We agree!

153. The Gunner says:

but the GM and field manager might

154. Neal Huntington is probably fielding calls from the agents of every old hack catcher who ever crouched behind the plate in the last 5 years!

I agree with Cracker———I would prefer Bucs sign a guy like Shoppach to catch once or twice a week (Shoppach hits .199, but that’s similar to Stewart anyway), and let Tony Sanchez play every day in AAA, at least until mid-season.

No trades, unless BMTIB is sure: 1/ Tony Sanchez will never cut it; and 2/ they know they can never sign Martin for another hitch.

155. chethejet1 says:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a “wet” strawberry but one of his best was about a certain womens body part saying if it had air conditioning , I would live in it.

156. I’ve been listening to Celtic tunes on Highlander Radio on my tablet since the exhibition game was rained out and it’s St. Pat’s Day and I’m mostly Irish on both sides. Happy St. Pat’s Day Anyhow!

+++++

158. The Gunner says:

I don’t remember that one – did he say it on the air?

159. Stuart says:

No, he was just my favorite player in the day. The year they won the series in 1960 Stu platooned with Rocky Nelson.

The “Maryland Strong boy” Bob Robertson was another fave. Still remember the three HRs he hit in a playoff game vs SF Giants.

Stuart

160. Stuart says:

Faith and Begorrah!

Stu

161. chethejet1 says:

Not on the air but it was always known as many of his inside jokes mostly among his friends and co-workers.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle