On location: Pitt 77, Colorado 48, NCAA Tournament

ORLANDO, Fla. — Looking ahead to tipoff …

Game: Pitt (25-9) vs. Colorado (23-11), NCAA Tournament second round

Time: 1:40 p.m.

Site: Amway Center

TV, radio: TBS (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live summary.

Here is our Pitt pageKevin Gorman, photographer Chris Horner and I are on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

FIRST!!!!

GO PITT !!!!!

Go Pitt!

Colorado is not a good defensive team from a league that generally doesn’t play good defense. Hoping for the boys to shoot well and show those stoners from Boulder how ACC BB is done.

3. Think about 85 points would win it?

4. hockeymonster says:

Don’t forget March Madness for PSU Hockey. Big game against Michigan today at 3pm on Big Ten Network! PSU has won 2 out of 4 games in the season series with MU so I promise you that PSU has MU’s attention. Should be a good one. Look for Loik, Skoff, Williamson and Koudys to play the games of their season today at 3pm.

5. You are truly a hockey monster, Comrade Vlad. I salute you.

6. JRay3 says:

Wow, 12th NCAA appearance in the last 13 seasons, a 25-9 year with 13 wins coming against their new league brethern in the ACC. A trip to the semi-finals of the ACC Tournament and now a chance to garner a win in the Big Dance. Always makes one of my favorite days of the year all the better when Pitt is part of the theatrics.

Another fine season Coach Dixon and the Panthers have provided us, much more so considering the team lost Durand Johnson, has Mike Young playing with a fractured back, had their two fifth year seniors struggling for parts of the season with ankle and thumb injuries, yet through it all is one of the last 64 standing.

Really feel Pitt got a favorable draw today, Vegas seems to agree as the Panthers are pegged as 6.5 point favorites.

Let’s Go Pitt.

++++

According to the Trib articles they are a decent defensive team. Or at least the coach’s focus is like Jamie’s. Who’s right?

9. hockeymonster says:

Growl :)

:tosses the Monster some Scooby snacks:

11. hockeymonster says:

Yum yum yum yum….that reminds me…im hungry…off to lunch…maybe primantis for the games…

Colorado ranked 116th in points allowed, 197 in blocks, 43 in rebounds and 184 in steels. Nothing impressive there. In fact, mediocre. Their best player is out. I’ve seen them play only a few times but I do follow UCLA closely. UCLA won the conference tournament and might be one of the worst defensive teams seeded that highly that I have ever seen.

A couple of sport book guys from Vegas were on FS1. They didn’t even think Colorado belonged in the tournament, which scares the hell out of me.

+Steals

Tough draw for the Buckeyes, Lucky. Those A-10 schools scare me. All of em have ballers from the NE and MW that stay for four years.

15. I think Mount St. Marys would have been a tough draw for them the way they’ve played the second half, John. Other than upsets of Wisconsin and MSU, they have been very mediocre even at home.

If they make the Sweet 16 this season, I’ll consider it a good season for them and that road goes through Syracuse, so not much confidence for me.

Back in the day on the Thursday/Friday of the Big East Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, we’d head over to Froggy’s and upstairs he had the games on a projection TV screen. The picture was huge but awful but back then we thought it was awesome.

17. chethejet1 says:

No excuse for Dixon. This team can’t be a one and one this year. Also watching the buccos last night I noticed Wandy has lost some serious weight. At least from what I saw on TV he looked much better physically. Of course as the Universe is a nothing gained nothing lost formula, it seems Wandy’s weight loss is Hurdles gain. Skip looks a little plumper to me.

Thanks Osh.

Size matters.

NCAA Special Edition:

Notable Alumni-University of Colorado-Boulder.

I’ve been to Boulder a few times. Lovely town with beautiful hippieesque women. Of course, the town is indelibly remembered as the terrestrial home of one Mork from Ork.

Former MLBN hottie, Alanna Rizzo is a grad. So is ESPN’s Chris Fowler and Pete Rose’s number one buddy, Jim Gray. Dejan plagiarist Rick Reilly is an alum.

Two very funny men, Southpark and Book of Mormon creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone went there. So did the lovely Joan Van Ark and personal childhood crush, Lydia Cornell (Too Close for Comfort!). Frank Burns, aka Larry Linville, was a Buffalo. When he wasn’t hanging out with Mariska Hargitay, Christopher Meloni walked the streets of Boulder. And, my greatest notable alumni of the year, the late Nancy Spungen, went to Boulder before catastrophically meeting the also late, narcotics abuser and punk legend, Sid Vicious.

21. Baywatch says:

Love that old-timey broadcast matchup of Verne Lundquist and the colorful Bill Raftery! They’re doing the Ohio State-Dayton game.

My niece went to college there and I was there for her graduation. Cool place, and I still have my Buffs fitted hat that I bought there. Who wouldn’t want a hat with a buffalo on it?

23. Florida Steeler says:

Cotchery to the Panthers?? I am so sick of hearing about the great Omar Khan and Colbert. They have the cap so screwed up, the Steelers can only sign the Willie Gays of free agency. If all of us messed up budgets like Khan and Colbert–we would never have jobs or be able to hire our kids like Colbert!!!!!!

24. Baywatch says:

Tee-Hee! Anybody that’s in with the In Crowd wants a hat with a buffalo on it … Wahoo Wa!

25. Aaron says:

Let’s go Pitt!

I hope the Talib – stomach flu issue doesn’t become a serious one….would love to see the 5th year guys go out on a big run.

I have moments when Dixon infuriates me, but 12 tourney appearances in 13 years with 99% program guys being coached up….that’s a great record.

Last time I checked they are still feeding us the schtick about these guys being student athletes, and at Pitt I believe it is more than just PR BS, and that should count for something!

26. cosmo says:

Didn’t realize it while filling out my brackets, but my son pointed out that a local kid plays for American vs Wisconsin. Jesse Reed is from Saltsburg.

27. Aaron says:

Wow….glad the front office played games with him by bringing in Sidney Rice and Lance Moore. At least we signed Guy Whimper….so we are good. We have one running back and two receivers. Yikes.

Is that confirmed?

They are hanging with the Badgers. Boy howdie, there are a lot of Badger fans at the Bradley Center. I gave up my tickets to a friend. Might go Saturday if American doesn’t pull the upset.

30. JD says:

Good stuff, OshKosh. Thanks.

That’s what Froggy said.

32. Stuart says:

The game is NOT on CBS in my area (Comcast). It is On TBS 826.

Stuart

33. Stuart says:

Btw KDKA has Dayton vs Ohio State. Should please the Rev.

Stuart

34. Aaron says:

ESPN is reporting it as being reported from their sources…..sounds like pretty much a done deal.

Thanks, JD, and hello!

Thanks, and sigh….

Pitt in Navy Blur uniforms, tops and bottoms, “Pitt” in arch form across the chest, Vegas Gold lettering and numbers.
    Colorado in grey, tops and bottoms, “Bufs” across the chest black lettering and numbers.

The school colors of the University of Colorado: Black, Gold and Silver.
    The school colors of the University of Pittsburgh: Navy Blue and Vegas Gold.

Zanna controls the tip and we are underway in the NCAA tournament….

Pitt works left to right on your computer screen.

Pitt off to a 7-0 lead with 17:26 remaining, first half.

38. JRay3 says:

Could not have scripted a better start as Pitt jumps on the Buffs 7-0 in first two and a half minutes. Ever since the end of the Clemson game, it appears this team has gained some of their confidence and belief back.

39. Baywatch says:

Nice start for our Panthers! Honestly, I picked about half Panthers, half Buffs in my 10 brackets. I figure that was generous given Pitt’s less-than illustrious showings in the tourney.

Colorado with 4 turnovers out of 8 possessions. 11-0 Pitt 14:51

41. JRay3 says:

Zanna erasing any fears of the stomach flu he had. Just in beast mode to start this one.

Buffs having a hard time containing Zanna. He just drove into the paint like a point guard, unfortunately missed the layup.

Cameron Wright playing well and backing up what he told Dejan.

Again, Pitt has missed some gimmees early.

44. Oshkosh b’Gosh,

It was worth tuning in just for this report.

Who are these guys??

46. JRay3 says:

Cam Wright a mid range jumper, Cam Wright a steal, Cam Wright slashing to the bucket for a basket….21-5 Panthers who come out and are making a statement!

47. JRay3 says:

+++….versatility he brings to the court can not be discounted.

48. Stuart says:

Pitt up 21 – 5. Also missed 4 layups. Nice start.

Stuart

49. JRay3 says:

Pitt playing with a defensive intensity and tenacity that is quite impressive to watch. Can’t play much better basketball than Panthers are playing right now.

30-7!

51. cosmo says:

Wow WHO ARE THESE GUYS !!!

52. JRay3 says:

WOW, Patterson a 3 ball, Newkiirk a finish, Patterson a steal and dis to Zanna who finishes and its 30-7 Panthers who build 23 point lead.

Men amongst boys today,

Pitt playing as close to a perfect basketball half as there can be.

54. JRay3 says:

“Newkirk”

Patterson hits a trey from Daytona!

56. Wild Bill says:

Wow! Just checked in on score. Panthers opening up a can on the Buffs!

57. JRay3 says:

Looks like Jamie Dixon has his team ready to play, huh? Can’t wait for this one to finish and all the talk of him not beating a higher seed can cease.

Pitt playing its best basketball of the season in March.

58. cosmo says:

First upset of the day Dayton 60-59

The NCAA.com app is fantastic!

JRob seeing the whole court. Cutting through the spread out Buffalo defense. Young with a nice drive and lay in. Total team effort here in the first half.

40-16 with 3:03. Lets see if the Panthers can drop 50 on the Buffs in the first half. Colorado will be shooting a lot of three pointers so Pitt needs to block out and look for the transition off the long rebounds.

So is the site Dejan referenced on Twitter. Not sure if they are one and the same.

On to medical school for future Dr. Craft.

I would think it would have to be.

64. Stuart says:

46-18 Pitt at the half.

Stuart

65. JRay3 says:

Pitt 46 Buffs 18 at the half, in the most dominating 20 minutes of basketball a Pitt team has played in some time.

Zanna with 16, Wright with 10, Patterson with 8 and JRob has 6 assists and 0 turnovers. Defensively, Pitt holds Colorado to 29% shooting and forces 10 turnovers.

66. It was no contest in the first half since Pitt literally demolished Colorado. And now, hopefully, the Panthers don’t get too comfortable with that 28 point lead.

What I really like, beside the score ;-) is that Pitt is aggressively attacking the basket

68. Baywatch says:

Gah-Lay!

69. Baywatch says:

I take it we’re already busted, Cosmos? Jeepers! Good game, though. I’d have like to have seen that Craft kid for OSU play a few more games, though. He’s fun to watch!

Varsity! Varsity!
    U-rah-rah! Wisconsin!
    Praise to thee we sing! (We sing!)
    Praise to thee, our Alma Mater,
    U-rah-rah! Wisconsin!

71. JRay3 says:

Congrats! Bo Ryan another good one in the profession, always gets those Badgers to play good ball on both ends of the court….certainly are going to be a tough out.

72. The Rev is at work. Can only check the progress. Not liking the outcome, but expecting it, really. Now I can root for Pitt and Wisconsin without feeling too bad.

73. Baywatch says:

I think Wisconsin got a nice region to play in, too. I like Bo Ryan, too.

74. I thought 85 points might be enough. Looks like 46 might be.

Lot of NBA scouts are sending good messages to their bosses on their iphones about Talib Zanna.

76. Florida Steeler says:

If only James Robinson could learn to shoot a little better.

Doesn’t look like Colorado watch the last 5 minutes of Pitt/North Carolina.

I’ve suddenly become a big Albany fan.

79. Aaron says:

Don’t want to be too negative with a 30 point lead, but Patterson is really struggling with the jumper in this game and we are going to need him to b on fire against Florida.

With that being said, excelknt game so far for Pitt…..and….

GO ALBANY!!

80. JRay3 says:

Chris Jones getting some PT in this opening round tournament game, and quickly gets four points slashing to the basket and finishing on JRob’s 9th assist of the afternoon.

65-36 Panthers in a rout, nice to see Pitt playing well in the second half and not letting the foot of the pedal. Sure this performance is catching the Gators attention.

81. Aaron says:

I am loving the continued intensity and defensive pressure even up 30+…..this team looks focused and intense….keep the pedal down!

82. Aaron says:

Very surprising they didn’t opt for some full court pressure, isn’t it?

83. Florida Steeler says:

J. Robinson should only be allowed to shoot a layup!!!!

84. Did Zanna have 18 at the half? Have they held him out most of the second half?

85. Dave Devine says:

EMPHATIC win by the Panthers!

86. JRay3 says:

And Pitt coasts into the third round of the NCAA Tournament with a dismantling of Colorado 77-48. The 29 point victory is the largest for Pitt in their NCAA history.

Congrats to Jamie Dixon who knocks off a higher seed and advances his team to the round of 32 with a match-up with Florida looming on Saturday.

Just glad the season continues on and this over achieving group will lace it up one more time at least.

87. JRay3 says:

Sat the final 8 minutes or so I believe.

88. JRay3 says:

He made a three, led the team in rebounds, added 3 steals and had 8 assists, yeah just brutal that he misses a few outside shots.

89. For Pitt, it was the largest win in NCAA Tournament history! And now, hopefully, the Panthers can give the likely round two winners: the Florida Gators more than they bargained for, just as they did the Colorado Golden Buffaloes today.

90. Florida Steeler says:

He made 1 shot–rest my case. He is a horrible offensive player and I made no criticism of the other aspects of his game.

91. Florida Steeler says:

Great effort by Pitt the last two weeks of the season. Lost to a very good Virginia team that could have gone Pitt’s way and they played extremely well today. A real shame they landed in Florida’s bracket, as the way they have been playing; would have advanced beyond the first weekend in most brackets.
    Now, the need to start recruiting shooters and, at least one of the nations top recruits.

92. JRay3 says:

He is also the all-time wins leader in Dematha HS history as a point guard, and had helped guide the Panthers to two consecutive NCAA berths in his two years in the program.

Kid is just a winner- rest my case.

Somehow this team puts up a 29 point win, largest in their history in the NCAA Tournament, and your two comments are criticisms. Amazing, I guess you are just perfect in all aspects of your life, career etc.

Great time for Pitt fans to enjoy the moment.

Most point guards in standard offenses are not expected to be big scorers. Job is to run offense, start transitions, get assists and get the long rebounds. Oh, and captain the defense. James does all of those things well.

Albany winning! lol.

95. hockeymonster says:

UPSET CITY BABY!!!

PSU up 1-0 on Michigan going into the 3rd!!! Big Ten Network Y’all!!!

96. cosmo says:

Harvard with the second upset of the day 61-57

Do they get the B1G in Siberia?
    Or Ukraine?

98. Wild Bill says:

Got home in time to see the goal, Hm. The boys are playin well.

Now I know the key to huge Pitt victories!
    I just don’t watch the games.

I came home and saw this score, and I was floored by it!

On to the Florida Crocks Saturday!

100. Wild Bill says:

Most of those billion dollar brackets are already history.

As well as they are playing the last handful of games, I would not count them out vs. Florida. It is a tall order vs. the overall #1 seed in it’s home state, but maybe Pitt is peaking at exactly the right time. Stranger things have happened.

Osh gave a scouting report from earlier this year when Wisky handled them, and he thinks it is possible. I like his hoops acumen. But, they are going to have to play another great game – maybe their best of the year again.

6 points and 8 rebounds is pretty strong for a PG. Or, anyone else for that matter. He’s not an outside shooter. But, he’s an “everything else” most games. Distributes, plays defense. I’ll take him. Going down the list of all-time Pitt PGs, you don’t have to go too, too far to get to Robinson.

Well said.

Are those the little rubber sandal things kids wear?

Sorry. I meant 6 rebounds and 8 assists.

No, thats Crocs.

Crocks are what you call Florida with a #1 seed. ;)

Thanks, Groat.

Thanks, Jim.

109. DJ says:

Not count Pitt out?

DJ’s post March 20, 2014 at 8:34 AM:

“The year no one expects anything from Pitt is going to be the year they slay the dragon and take down Florida.

Etch it!*

*Borrowed from Buggee or BillyBaduka or whoever uses that phrase on here.”

110. Florida Steeler says:

I suggest you watch his attempt at playing defense and point guards are expected to penetrate and score–he does neither.
    Does McConnell from Arizona, Craft from Ohio State, Enis from Syracuse, Wilbekin from Florida not score?? I could go on and on about your incorrect assertion that “most point guards are not expected to be big scorers.”

I’m through responding to you. Angry man who likes to ridicule twenty year old college kids who play basketball as an amateur.

I can only surmise by the facts that you live in Florida, are incapable of figuring out how to put an avatar on the computer and only chime in on Pirate and Pitt game threads to bitch about winning teams and how you could do things better, that you are most likely some angry retired person who plays golf at his condo’s complex in the morning and spends the rest of the day complaining about the world.

Life is much too short, Grandpa, to respond to haters. ,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!
    Oshie with the Gold Post of the day!

FS loves to hate on some Pens, Steelers, Pitt, every Pittsburgh team. He just cant’t criticize, he has to play “blog God”.

Oshie, thanks for the chuckle……….

Grandpa out. :D

113. Florida Steeler says:

Can’t accept facts can you?? You made a statement that was flat out incorrect and won’t own up to it. And, of course your jumping to conclusions about me are as incorrect as your point guards not expected to score assertions.

Geeze, Grandpa, it’s almost 11:00. Shouldn’t you be in bed ? Don’t you have to get up early to make the early bird senior citizen discount at Denny’s ? It’s not light out so you can’t be out looking for butterflies to tear the wings off of. Oh, I just dangled a preposition. That bugs the heck out of the elderly-not how we were taught! School’s not in so you can’t go yell at a kid to get a haircut. Here’s an idea to vent your anger at the world-attack some college kids! How about Oklahoma. You can slam Lon Kruger and his group of teenagers for not playing well enough to beat North Dakota St. I’m sure there is an Oklahoma blog somewhere you can spew on. How dare players miss shots and lose!

BTW, I stand by my statement. Most offenses are set up in the matter I suggested. But, good for you-you cited some big names from some big programs. Never mind that the vast majority of teams have a one and two guard set up where the job of the 1 guard is to distribute the ball. But you were able to cite some of the top players at the top programs. Well, you got me there. Robinson isn’t an all American. And he plays in a system where he is a 1 guard that isn’t relied upon for offense-that burden falls on others. But, he should be putting up 30 nay 40 points a game.

None of those players you mentioned lead their team in scoring. Craft only averages 1.9 points more per game. Most point guards are third fourth even higher on their team’s scoring.

But, feel free to attack me. So far, through the years you have called me a pervert, a liar and dismissed me as incorrect. Nice attacks, and I’m not even a college student or a Pirate! I’m so honored!