Pirates 5, Phillies 3, exhibition

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies, exhibition

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: McKechnie Field, Bradenton, Fla.

TV, radio: 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. And here’s our Bucco Blog with all the pitching matchups, lineups, etc. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. bpn8pitt says:

Like to see Stolmy pitch well.

+++

We can get a scouting report from TC since he’s there.

I’d be interested in Thunder’s first impression of Jaff Decker. He’s not tall. Or as my buddy said last week, “My God he’s a midget.”

I’ll have a more detailed report later.

But Lambo has made some really nice plays at first I think he can handle the position. But I’m not sure he’s hit more than one out of the infield.

Travis I just hit a homer off Brad Lincoln. He’s looked good. Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a bunch of at bats during the last week of ST.

And yes, Decker is not tall

5. Keith says:

I think at this point I’d take Ishikawa north and let Lambo 1B/RF at AAA full-time.

6. Lots of comments today. Guess ST doesn’t mean anything, especially with the Pens and Panthers playing meaningful games.

So what candidates are there to be dropped of the 40 man if additions are necessary?

8. I defer to JAL, but I have a few ideas of my own.

I thought Stolmy pitched pretty well. He gave up 3 solo homers. Two were hit very hard , the other one may have had a little help by the wind (not much). It sounded like he was throwing very hard. He looks like a guy with a very good arm.

Really surprised Russ Martin caught the whole game. He acted like it was a regular season game. I noticed how he went out and talked with all the pitchers…even though some of them were minor leaguers.

Tony Watson pitched great. He looks like he is a little bigger – not as slender as last year. I WOULD NOT TRADE HIM.
    Jarrod Hughes looks like he lost a lot of weight. He pitched today and I’m afraid his stuff will no longer play in the majors.

50 year old Bobby Abreau didn’t have a chance against Tony Watson. But I’m not sure if it was a regular season game he would have ever faced Watson (lefty vs lefty).

I still think the Phillies will stink. Good to see Brad Lincoln. He struck out the side ( i think) in his first inning, then gave up the homer to Travis I.

Very astute, “Milo”.

New Castle game at 8.
    So for me it’s a tripleheader today. :)

So AJ pitched half decent. I really wonder what is going to happen if the Phils drop far behind early in the season.

During one of Pedro’s at bats the Phils had the shift on. The third baseman was playing over where the second baseman would be. Pedro hit a foul pop-up that landed on top of the tarp along the third base stands. Rollins tried but he couldn’t get over there in time. If the shift wasn’t on the third baseman would have caught it.

After that play AJ motioned at the third baseman and yelled something to him. He seemed frustrated/disgusted. I laughed and told the Philly fans sitting around me to get used to it. At the end of the inning Burnett went over to Sandberg and Bowa and talked with them. He ended up laughing and walked away.

Later in the game he didn’t get a strike call and stared at the homeplate ump. He stepped off the mound and yelled something at the ump – who yelled back. It could have just been a case of AJ asking “where was that pitch”. But it was a scene that looked awful familiar.

12. Good reports, TC. Thanks. Did you see Drew there?

Planet Hollywood, hope your Red Hurricanes prevail.

I think with the Philly fans and media, AJ’s schtick will wear quickly.
    And, if he has a few poor outings, it could be bad.

I am more wondering, if a trade isn’t made, which arm we lose out of the bullpen? I believe all the arms are out of options, so the team would lose 1 of them.

Or does someone have options we are overlooking?

Thanks, Reverend.
    Tip-off soon.

Most of the talk has been that Mazzaro is the odd man out if a trade does not occur, plan.

I would agree with that. He pitched well for them last year, but he has had a spotty career although mostly as a starter. But, he does not have swing and miss stuff, and it is hard to consistently get the job done year after year from the pen when you strike out less than 6 per 9 innings.

Morris had similar strikeout numbers to Mazzaro last year, but the reports are that he looks much better this spring after starting to throw the magical 2-seamer that Searage and company love so much.

16. And what if AJ was about the only good thing going for the Phillies this season? You’d think that for all the money they signed him for, and all that’s expected of him, you’d think that he’d at least do as well as he did for the Bucs during the two past seasons when he was their ace.

Thanks, Jim.

I can neither confirm nor deny, Rev. But I wouldn’t doubt that the guy next to me had poodle doo-doo on his shoes

19. That’s confirmation enough for me.

+++++++++