Pirates 3, Phillies 0, exhibition

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates vs. Philadelphia Phillies, exhibition

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia

Radio: 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. And here’s our Bucco Blog with all the pitching matchups, lineups, etc. Travis Sawchik is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. Chuck H says:

I could never understand why the teams heading north after a rough preseason in Florida, would want to play more
    exhibitions on the way home. Why not give the guys a couple days rest to unwind and be with families? Maybe it’s
    just me, but if I were a ML player, that’s what I would rather do.

Joe Beimel made the Mariners opening day roster. I am happy for him – always liked him.

Does anyone remember his ‘music’ when he came into the game? I think it was a Johnny Cash song.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

4. Probably “I’ve Been Everywhere” about now. Probably wasn’t then.

In respect for Cutch and Mr Groat, I’m hoping I hear no boos Monday

I hereby dub our 1st basemen Gabykawa.

7. John in Ross says:

Bringing back Barry Bonds? Just when everyone stopped dwelling on the last 20 years lets bring back the guy who started it all! Way to throw a wet blanket on opening day!

I get the sense this is a polarizing subject.

9. Brandie says:

Before we start talking wet blanket, let’s see if they can find a hat big enough to fit his head.

10. BMTIB always has the pulse of Pirate and Pittsburgh fans.

Maybe at the same time Frank Coonelly will announce extensions for Huntington and Hurdle———that they signed last September.

Can’t blame this on Kyle Stark. He was asked what he thought of the idea and he said “who’s Barry Bonds?”

Johnny Cash – “God’s Gonna Cut You Down”.

I forgot how great that song is. I loved hearing when Beimel came in.

Funny one Lucky!

On twitter I saw someone posted: They should invite Jason Kendall back and have him announce “Welcome to Heaven”.

Brilliant.

MLB & the players agree on tougher penalties for drug suspensions. 1st offense – 80 games. 2nd offense – a set of steak knives. 3rd offense – you’re fired.

With the Penguins playing so poorly I am outraged that the Pirate game isn’t on Root Sports tonight!

17. Brandie says:

I had never heard that song before. I can definitely see how it works as an entrance theme. Thanks for the link.

18. Brandie says:

As long as the steak knives are Ginsu!

Try mlb.com, it’s free tonight.

20. Patrick(ri) says:

How about having Bonds and Berra jump out of a locker and run a timed dash to first base with Hendricks and D Bell? Kendall could hold the stopwatch, with “Bat out Hell” as a musical background?

Parker’s chef buddy could supply the cocaine.

22. Brandie says:

And Randall Simon ready to bat whack the racers! Maybe they can also pass out “Where’s Raul” books to the kiddies as well.

23. Patrick(ri) says:

In all sincerity, Bonds did some marvelous things while a Pirate, but what a lousy idea to honor him on opening day — the Marketing Dept is pitching a clinker this year. Next year they can do a replay of Sid sliding across the plate to really get the fans going.

Thanks Milo

25. Excellent video, TC. Lots of stars in that one. Cash was a born-again Christian, I’m sure you know.

26. bpn8pitt says:

Thought about this since the news broke

I’m okay with the Pirates being cool with Barry.

They aren’t retiring his number. He isn’t gonna have his name next to Clementes. Hes gonna smile, hand Cutch a trophy with Groat. The end.

Burying the hatchet is a good thing. You don’t have to like him, cause honestly I’m still not sure on PEDs. And he was a jerk. But that doesn’t mean you gotta return it. Not saying you, Patrick. Just not sure younger people know who what or why they booing sometimes. Its good just to tip your hat, then move on.

27. Brandie says:

Good take. After all this is a part of the history of the Pirates franchise and not all history is pretty. It is good to make peace with the past and not be bound by it.

28. Patrick(ri) says:

Well put. I hope it is not a bad event, but I would have waited until some other time/event. Why take this risk now?

Watching Clint Barmes play 3rd base is reminiscent of Maz playing 3rd. A little uncomfortable.

30. Brandie says:

BRILLIANT!!!!

31. bpn8pitt says:

Famous last words, but just not worried about Brewers and Cubs. We LL see I guess.

I worry about the Crew. Then again, I get served their Kool Aid every day and I think I’m starting to buy it. Though, I recently predicted to TC that the Athletics would be 20 games worse this year and SI has them in the WS so what do I know ?

Two Big Ten schools now in Elite 8. Michigan State tips off at 9:57 (!) to try to make it a trifecta against AW’ s Cavaliers.

It is going to be a long season in Philadelphia.

Not only do I think the Phillies are going to stink, but they’re going to have to listen to Matt Stairs and Jamie Moyer all year. Just awful. It sounds like Moyer has the potential to get a tiny bit better.

It could be fun to watch Sandberg and Bowa put up with that team.

JohninO,

What exactly are they saying out there about the Brewers? Do they think they’ll be better than most predict?

Sometimes, on this blog, the question arises……… “why are people critical of the Pirates”?? Why concentrate on the few holes the team has? Why worry what the FO does at all?

Answer: Things like today’s announcement of Barry Bonds returning to Pittsburgh in any capacity, let alone handing Cutch an award. Whose freaking brilliant idea was this? A “man” who was a jerk to everyone, cheated the game he claimed to love, hated everyone and was hated by everyone, and THAT is who is selected to give Cutch his award?

Look, I get the forgive and forget stuff, but really? If Barry Bonds would never step foot in Pittsburgh again, it would be too soon. Lets have Steroid Head, Mr. Woe-is-me-nobody-loves me give an award to a young player who is the opposite of Bonds character in every regard?????

Words do not adequately enough describe how awful an idea this is.
    Then some people wonder why others are suspicious of this team……….

37. Only one more exhibition game tomorrow and then the Bucs can spend Sunday with their families before the Monday opener. And that should be nice.

38. Hopefully, the MLB stronger anti drug policies and procedures wlll be effective since they certainly need to be.

39. I don’t know what good it will do the Phillies to have signed AJ since even if he was to be great as the Phillies ace, it’s worth recalling that Steve Carlton had some great seasons as the Phillies ace during the 1970s for some horrible Phillies teams.

40. Leo Walter says:

A great example of a player pushed through a system long before he was ready.